View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Michelle's blog on swimming and other fun stuff!

My USMS info:
My team: Dallas Aquatic Masters
www.damswim.com
http://www.usms.org/people/02gam

My USA info:
My team: Dallas Mustangs
www.dmswim.com
www.ntswim.org
http://www.usaswimming.org/USASModul...d-b89e809716fa

1. End of LCM season

by , June 11th, 2012 at 11:27 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Well, here's how I did:

That was pretty sucky, but boy did it hurt! Plus, quite painful without a turn! Nowhere to hide in LCM!

So this "season"
    28.84 yesterday
    28.6 in april
    28.5 in jan

Last year:
    28.2-28.7

2 Years before:
    27.7-28.4

I attribute my slowingdownedness to:
    1. Focus on P90x instead of swimming;
    2. Lack of swimming consistency, specificity
    3. Lack of LCM conditioning

The question is, what am I going to do about it?

To address #1:
    From now to Dec, transition focus back to swimming, with P90X workouts and other dryland exercises worked around my swimming. Actually, I have 2 weeks left of my "90 day" cycle, so I will finish those, take pix, and that actually co-incides with leaving to watch Olympic Trials, so it will be a natural and convenient break!

To address: #2:
    See #1. Plus, who really cares about LCM anyway. Outdoor swimming has never been my favorite. One less bug down my suit.

To address #3:
    See #2. On the cost/benefit continuum, it is just not worth going to LCM workouts unless there are dedicated sprint/distance lanes. DAMM stopped Sunday AM year round sprint, and that is a very likely cause of results this year - so I simply stopped going. In past years, I went most Sundays year round, and then one summer dedicated 1 weeknight on sprint nights in the summer. That made a huge difference and multi sub-28 times. Without that critical specific training, it is like a different sport once reaching the 25 meter mark.....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Next up:
    Just maintain swimming the next 2 weeks, do my P90X, crunch time to drop last 2 lbs, and then Great Wolf Lodge, then to Trials. I will modify workouts for sprint/sprint conditioning/specific drills. I'd like to start my SCM/SCY season ready to go sub :30's in workout from a push. That is a very aggressive goal, since i've never done that. But with last weeks 33 33 31 31 31 31 30, it is entirely possible, but I have to actually try pretty hard! That element I am willing to go out on the cost/benefit continuum.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I saw Prometheus yesterday. Unfortunately for the likes of Ridley Scott, you can never one-up the original Alien. It's like M. Knight Shalaman never being able to one-up The Sixth Sense. It was one of those defining movies in history of how to make a sci fi horror movie and the forumla has worked countless times. (Crew goes out somewhere looking for something/accidentally gets sent somewhere/lost. Cryosleep is a must. Wake up from cyrosleep and weaker characters puke; stronger ones immediately start pull ups, push ups, etc. Next stop: Mess hall. Food is always bad and made fun of. Further character introduction and very quickly size up who's who. Get to planet/destination and immediately begin touching, tasting, smelling, and bringing back stuff that leads to the demise of nearly every crew member, one by one.

Ahhh, I never get tired of these movies. It's like the Halloween/Friday the 13 of horror movies.

It's like Avatar. Gotta see it for just seeing it on the big screen, but you have to carefully power down your mind to about operating life sustaining activities only. (And to conduct peristalsis for the popcorn, slurpee, and raisinettes/milk duds/sour patch kids, plus the repetitive arm motion to get the food up there.

Think (or rather, don't think too hard) of it like how George Lucas finally says that the technology is now available to do what he couldn't do in the original Star Wars, and then makes a totally pictureque and visually stunning Star Wars episode I, puts in not-too bad acting, but a profoundly deficient script and story line. One thanks goodness the tech wasn't available back then, or else maybe he would have written out "Luke, I am your father!"

But, it is still worth seeing. I amazed my girls and chowsh with my knowlege of the entire Aliens series. You just have to go in knowing it's never going to be up there with the original in terms of originality, but it is still worth seeing. You also have to poke fun at all the ways they break the rules of what NOT to do in a scary sci fi adventure. I wish there were more Commando type scripts and storylines. Where you can really root for the characters because they aren't so cliched stupid.

I can't wait for the sequel!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. One swim practice this week!

by , June 6th, 2012 at 04:32 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Well, I made it to one swim practice this week!

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center
    Bobby Patten coached

250 warm up
    suppose to be 400 total, but I didn't get it all in

6 x 75 kick on 1:30
    no fins kick on back

400 pull
    ==> pull every other 50

Main set:

6 times through:
    100 on 1:20
    50 fast on 1:20
    ===>I did 50 moderate, 50 fast
    33 33 31 31 31 30

100 easy

6 times through:
    75 on 1:00
    25 on 1:00
    ==>25 easy/25 fast
    15 15 14 14 14superflat 14superflat

Easy 50

The End
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I am totally going back to my old ways. There is no point in swimming moderately strong 150's and 100's when my main focus is a 50. I was able to really put punch into my sprints today, plus Bobby made some recommendations for my sprint. He said it looked a bit wierd I was holding too long in front and rotating a bit too much for a dead sprint, so even though I was going 31's at first, I did a 30 on the last one with just that subtle change.

I do plan on going to the Texas Senior Circuit #4 this Sunday. It's in Mansfield, about 45 mins away but an easy drive. Hopefully I won't feel bad on that day, as I have been sickly and inconsistent day over day. I'm not going to swim tomorrow, just to make sure I won't overdo it before the meet. At this point, I am better off just resting!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Missed my swim meet!

by , June 3rd, 2012 at 08:46 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Well, I decided to skip the 50 free on Saturday. I ate way too much junk food on Thursday, and then was awake in the middle of the night with a terrible stomach ache, which continued into Friday and was really bad by the time I finished my creditors' meetings. Along with handling all their IDs, I think that tipped me over the edge. I took a 2 hr nap which I thought would ruin my nighttime (5-7pm) but I had no trouble passing out by 10pm. So I decided to skip the early morning 50 free. I woke up and mentally calculated I had a low 28 in me, but then i'd be set back for days of discomfort, which I cannot afford with this weeks activities: trial set, the 1st summer league, swim meet, annual mammogram, and a bunch of other time criticial must-be-in-the-office work stuff.

I swam ZERO workouts last week! I did get in on Tuesday and swam 1000 on my own. The next time I swam was

Today, Sun, 06/03 on my own

500 warmup

8 x 50 on :50
    Speedo Optimus Fins, snorkel, and paddles

16 x 25
    evens fast on :30
    odds easy on :45
    2 fast each stroke

100 easy

4 x 50 fast from a dive
    easy 100 in between
    no interval, but around 4 min per 50
    free 32
    fly 32
    free 30
    fly 33

That was pretty good! I was quite pleased with my modest speed. Not as far off as I thought I would be, and solid times. I am very pleased with holding speed close to where I want to START training. I think a huge stairstep is to get 50 free's under 30 in practice for this type of set, and the 50 flys at 31's or even 30's.

Both my girls did awesome in school this year. They both go the the William B. Travis (of the Alamo fame) Vanguard (which is what they call the 4-5 grade school, then Academy for 6-8). They both made Straight A Honor Roll, which is a really big deal! They are now doing summer league swimming and karate 2x per week. I don't really believe in over-enrichment during the summer. They want to read every book on their summer reading list (a few required, but they have learned early on to get every extra credit point!) and they are continuing with their daily Kumon. I'm going to watch Trials with chowsh, a solo vacation for me! And then we are going to Pittsburgh to see my parents and back to Breckenridge for our summer vacation - and this year chowsh is joining us! As usual, i'm going to boss her around.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Sunday LCM; P90X end week "9"

by , May 27th, 2012 at 03:22 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I put that in quotes since I went straight to weeks #9 and #10, and now doing the 2 recovery weeks #8 and #13, then back to #11, #12 after my 2 swim meets.

Today I went to LCM SMU workout at 9AM. That was hard because we went out to eat last night and I got the stuffed jalepenos as my meal, not wanting to share the 6 fried delights. Boy did I pay for that!!!

500 warm up
    but I stopped at 300
    just didn't feel like swimming any more warmup

10 x 100's
    1 easy on 1:45
    1 strong on 1:40
    2 strong on 1:35
    3 strong on 1:30

That was sort of hard. Averaged 1:20s on the fast ones.
    But I felt a bit better after the set!

8 x 50's on 1:10
    first 1/3 UW kick; easy swim/fast feet & sprint last 10 meters (held under :35 total time; used Speedo Optimus fins)

12 x 50's
    3 on 1:10 stroke "descend"
    1 easy on 1:15
    fly :37/back :40/breast ???
    Not super fast.

The End

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    That was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I much prefer swimming in a slower lane, going first with clear water, and getting longer intervals and put some umph into them. There is something so nice about the people in lane 3 and lower. They don't have the egos of lanes 1 and 2.

I went to the movie theatre which is something I rarely do. We saw Men in Black III and it was great - just like the other MIBs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have decided that once I am through the first cycle of P90X, here is roughly what I will target:

Sat/Sun
    1 upper body, rotating through the 4: Chest & Back, Shoulders & Arms, Back & Biceps, and Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps; + ab ripper X,
    1 Legs and Back + ab ripper X

Twice on Weekdays:
    Plyo X
    Core X

Plus, selected exercises on my own for warm up/warm downs each time from:
    Yoga X
    Stretch X
    my own stretching

I don't think it is sustainable to continue every night with P90X. But I think it would be very manageable to do it on the weekends for sure, and then the 2 days per week for 4 days total. I'm starting to memorize a lot of the moves, and over time, I might even stop the videos and simply write a list with reps or time for my own workouts. The key is with the small decrease in P90X shape, that I conciously replace it with speed and refinement in swim speed. The point is to back off of nonspecfici dryland conditioning, and picking it back up in the pool!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Signs of life..er speed in water!

by , May 23rd, 2012 at 08:01 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Well, I must say, I am quite pleased with that indirect benefit from P90X'ing. The first several weeks I made myself do it (Bring it!) and when I went to sleep, it was more like passing out immediately upon pillow contact. Now I have the usual anxiety and several trips to the potty before finally sleeping, so my endurance must be up, since yes, I am writing it down and setting my goals and making the last 3 burn, etc etc....and I am happy to report that I can now do the entire plyoX without my minitramp!

Anyway, my swimming feels more zippy again.

Sat/Sun - off. One day I took the girls free swimming and just splashed around.

Mon - main set was 2 moving interval sets of 50 frees. The 1st was like this:

2 x 50 on :55 commentary: easy
    2 x 50 on :45 keep it easy; don't panic here
    2 x 50 on :50 easy
    2 x 50 on :40 strong but easy as possible
    2 x 50 on :45 this is harder than it seems after the :40's
    2 x 50 on :35 blasto. yes, I made 'em!!

"Subtract 10, add 5"

the next set was:

1 x 50 on :55
    2 x 50 on :45
    3 x 50 on :50
    4 x 50 on :40
    5 x 50 on :45
    break
    6 x 50 challenge interval, 35 no one did this interval.
    I suggest to my lanemate to do 4 x 50 on :37.5, so you are really keeping an eye for #2 at the 1:15 and to bring it home on #3 and #4 and be ahead of the 2:30. I made it at the :29 mark on #4, right under my total elapsed 2:30! I was glad to modify, 'cause I knew i'd give up at #3 had we tried for 6.

Tuesday: Stroke day
    The main sprinty bits were
    8 x 50 on 1:10
    1st 25 blast stroke/2nd 25 easy
    I went strong through the turn and 1st stroke. That was sort of fun.

Wednesday: Here is where I could really tell my conditioning improvement. I rarely have it in me to go 3 hard days in a row. Last set, 4 x 100's

100 straight 1:30
    50/50 :50 base
    4 x 25's :30 base
    bonus 20 seconds
    100 all out 1:07 very flat. that was very good and I felt pretty strong. I would like to be under 1:05 on a challenge like that, but I can see where I just didn't have the umph from the start. But much more umph than lately!!

Total bummer I lost my goggles. Either someone else picked them up, or I truly didn't see them the last practice and didn't put them in my bag. I couldn't help having that stupid look on my face, like, where are my goggles? I lost my goggles! Did someone pick up my goggles? Who was I swimming with yesterday? And then poking around in my empty bag, and even looking in my fin-pockets to see if they would magically appear. I borrowed Jim Montgomery's goggles for warm up but then I just went without goggles the rest of workout. I don't think it really affected my speed, even though my eyes were really burning and blurry by the end of workout.

I think I may have a solid effort in me for next week's 50 free. But I am constantly thwarted with my docket days - the days I am completely full has always been on days before a swim meet! Oh well, I can't complain since it's nice to have a good job.

I set up my Bowflex Power Tower! Talk about humbling. It is so hard to do chin ups from a completely dead position with knees tucked. I really need that swinging action and breakstroking wildly to get myself up. So it's a good thing the dip bar moves so I use it as an assist.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. End of week report

by , May 19th, 2012 at 09:42 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I'm back!

So, to recap my week:

Mon - swam on my own. Made the main set into 3 x 100's instead of 4.

100 strong 1:08
    50/10/50 1:08
    4 x 25's 5 secs 1:04

That was not very fast. I can be at the 1:00 mark on 4 broken and my goal is to be right under.

Wed - I missed evening sprint workout. It starts at 7:15 and that was just way too late. So I took the girls to Golden Corral instead. Total bummer they were not making cotton candy today. But they did put out a fresh batch of Texas Toast!!

Thurs - SCM, noon workout, stroke day
    I was totally pooped out.
    Main set:
    4 x 25's on :30 stroke
    2 x 100 IMs on 2:00 fast
    repeat 3x each stroke except free
    I had to really work to keep 1:22's. In best IM shape, I can go 1:17 averages. This I attribute to being worn down as well as not doing a lot of stroke this past year.

Friday - SCY, noon workout
    Main set:

10 x 50 various - transition

4 x 75 on 1:45 1st 25 fast

10 x 50s various drill/swim

4 x 75 on 1:45 1/3 fast; 2/4 easy 51, 50

10 x 50 various pull

4 x 75 on 1:45 1, 3, 4 fast; 2 easy 51, 50,

That was ok. I would like to get in the 48 range. A 50 puts me closer to 1:08, and if I want to swim under 1:05 for a 100 in practice, then I need to be less :17 or around 47,48.

I went to Central Market and bought dinner for two which makes dinner for 4 of us! They had cotton candy at the check out so I bought 2 bags for $1.75, which is actually a great price. It costs $5.00 at Great Wolf Lodge and $2.50 at Justice (tween clothing store).

Update on my birthday:
    I know I am getting a Bowflex Power Tower and a free weights set. I found the free weights in the closet under the stairs so I have been sneaking in and using them for
    P90X and then putting them back. tee hee!

I haven't gained or lost any weight. I am definately stronger, and I felt so strong running on the street as we chased after a big turtle that I almost ran over in the car. It must have been at least 10 lbs! I am amazed how much pee it can hold in it's body, as we kept picking it up and it would pee. No surprise it was fully retracted in it's shell, and had big claws on it's feet and a big beak. Stupidly, I said, Hey! It's mouth is open! and stuck my finger in it to see if it would nibble. It took a big bite on my index finger, yikes!!! I spent the next 15 minutes doing google searches of "turtle bites". In conclusion, since I am already taking antibotics for something else, and I rinsed thoroughly, I think I will likely be ok.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Where have I been?

by , May 14th, 2012 at 10:43 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Wow did the week go fast, I haven't blogged in quite awhile!

The main update is I entered 2 swim meets,
    ***Local A meet Sat, 06/02
    ***Texas Senior Circuit #4, Sun, 06/10
    so that finally gives me something to get specific about! TSC #4 will be a really big and fast meet, I think. It's one of the last OT qualifying meets (cut off date around 06/18) so I think to keep up with the Jones I can't be dorking around in low 28's.

So, to alter my P90X training, I am doing week #9 and #10 NOW, then do week #8 and week #13 (the "rest" weeks), and then go back to weeks #11 and #12 after that. That means I'll be doing the 2 "rest" weeks going into 06/01 and 06/10.

In the meantime, it's time to start specific training and tapering. No time for more any more conditioning as it is 3 and 4 weeks away from the meets! I started yesterday:

LCM, SMU outdoor pool
    Sunday AM workout

300 swim
    300 kick
    300 pull

4 x 100's on 1:40 descend
    1:17?? I doubt it was 1:12.

Main set:
    200 easy
    4 x 50's "sprint" on 1:10
    held 35's

suppose to repeat 3 times, but I did 2 times and got out to get ready for Mother's Day brunch at 11AM.

+++++++++++++++++++
    The 4 x 100's are going to be my cornerstone "conditioning test set" in LCM. If I can do a really solid descend and go to 1:30 interval, that would be great. If I can descend starting at 1:20 quite easily to 1:10 range, then i'll be in very, very good shape. None of this dabbling in the high teens!

+++++++++++++++++++++
    Here is the main set/element from Friday's workout:

SCM
    8 x 75's
    2 fast on 1:15 ==> 56, 55
    1 easy on 2:00
    2 faster on 1:15 ==>53, 52
    2 fastest on 1:15 ==>53, 52

That was pretty hard. Considering the p90X'ing, I don't feel too bad about the times, but they are definately slower than usual by a modest stairstep. I can go 50's average on faster and fastest, pushing under 50 on a good day. Next season, i'd like to be at 52.5 ave on fast, 50 ave on faster. amd under 50 on fastests.

++++++++++++++++++++++
    Next up:
    My birthday on May 22nd! I will be 44. I am getting a whole weight set under 20 lbs. I have 3 lb weights but I know i'm getting at least the 5/10/15 and 20's, possibly the 12.5 17.5's as well. Maybe I should ask for the cords as well. I wonder if I should get the women's cords or the men's set.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    My plan for the next 4 weeks!!!
    Week 1 (this week!) One Sunday sprinty (check!) and here is what I plan on doing today:

400 warm up

8 x 50's kick/drill

8x 25's choice interval
    % increases free (fins optional)

16 x 25's choice interval
    variables, 4 each stroke (fins optional)

4 x 100's broken on choice interval
    100 straight
    50/10/50
    50/10/25/5/25
    4 x 25's 5 seconds
    Attempt to get to 1:00 min mark with time subtracted. Hmmm...Fins optional here, too.

100's alternating pull/kick on choice interval. solid effort. All equipment. Yes, optional for today.

The End, for today!

Wed - Hopefully I can go to SMU LCM sprint workout in the PM!

Thurs - IM day; either nonspecific and do the workout, or do "test race" day on my own again. I will decide after Wed's workout how to balance out and finish Week #1. This could include gearing up for 1 50, or doing lots of dives, or perhaps even doing some stroke sprints to mix it up.

Updated May 14th, 2012 at 10:54 AM by chowmi

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Halfway thru P90X!

by , May 8th, 2012 at 10:34 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Well, I am still going strong!!!

I am halfway thru Week #7 of the 13 week total. This is the 3rd and last week of Phase 2, then the "recovery week" #8. (Plus photo!)

I think the key is proper modification. This is really hard because most people I have talked to say they started it and couldn't finish and/or got injured. There isn't a coach standing next to you telling you what and how to modify, and a lot of people say they get so competitive they try to keep up with Tony & crew. Plus you have to modify in relation to the fact that you are also swimming. The videos don't account for the fact that you are swimming - training - and that a lot of effort is duplicated, so you are going to really hurt yourself by all the double dipping if you don't eliminate/modify those bits. The last thing is not to think of it as a do-or-die in 90 days. If you think of this as a first round sampler, leaving room for heavier weights, more reps, higher/farther leaps, deeper lunges, etc, then you will probably decrease your chances of getting injured. You have all the time in the world, so think of the program and an indefinate and customizable repeat after the first 90 days! Remember, these guys would look completely foolish doing your job, so it is the same thing when you pop in the DVD and try to keep up with them. They were selected because they are super duper good at it, and have rehearsed the sequences for the video not unlike any other type of performance. You aren't going to get on stage and play Hamlet on the first round, so build up to it!

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    I am happy to report that I can now bicycle backwards for the full 25 count. I could do cross leg instead of full legs out on the cross over sit uppy things, but that was on my strongest day, and I have only done it once. And I can do all 25 sissor kicks (yes, I wait for the number!). The key is to squeeze your butt and use the raised leg as the balancing end, and the down leg (1 inch off the floor, butt squeezed!) as the elongating move.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I skipped the swim meet on Sunday! I was not well over the weekend, so I bagged my cameo 50 free. I mentally calculated I had a low 28 in me, and then decided the recover period AFTER the race would cost me too much of my P90X consistency.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here is my workout on Monday!
    Billy G coached

Here is Billy's commentary on his 1500 LCM fly: He did it the summer of/after 1980 Trials. Since he was in great shape, and trained with a distance donkey team, he decided to try it. His time was 19 something. He made it completely fly legal. The official, who is always really bored in the D-events, had nothing better to do so he walked with Billy the entire way, just to see if he was fly-legal. Billy's time was a big bell curve. Once he got to about 700-800, he was really disgusted. But he decided to just do another 100, another 100, until he got to 1200 and at that point he knew he could finish, and he started getting faster. His last 100 was not as fast as his first, but again, he bell curved his splits.

++++++++++++++++++
    200 swim/200 kick/200 pull

6 x 75 kick on 1:30
    50 smooth/25 strong

8 x 125's pull
    4 on 2:00 (yes, I actually used a pull buoy)
    4 on 1:45 (no equipment, swam these)

10 x 100's swim
    4 on 1:35 descend
    1 on 2:00
    repeat

I gave it a big decend and went 1:11 and 1:10 on the #4's. Solid and strong, i'd say about 92.5% effort.

The End

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Sprint Friday, 05/04/12

by , May 4th, 2012 at 03:04 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Hooray today was sprint day!

Steve Barnicoat sprint special Fridays

10 x 50 on :50 warmup

6 x 125 on 2:00
    100 smooth, 25 fast

200 easy kick

6 x 50 on :50
    kick/swim

6 x 75 on 1:30
    25 smooth, 50 fast

200 easy kick

6 x 50 on :50
    kick/swim

6 x 25 on :45
    all fast

The End
    ++++++++++++++++++++
    I liked today's workout! I was in a good lane of people who went easy on the easy, which makes all the difference. That way I could swim the sprint parts with some zip!

Not feeling so good today either. Still totally bloated but I didn't eat any chips last night! I did have my 2 x cherry poptarts, toasted. Then I had a bowl of special k with a banana and used regular milk. I think that is what did me in!

Next Up: carpool line. then early dinner at Pei wei. Then 4th grade roller skating party. Pizza second dinner. I hope they have some cake. I really want some cake. Back up plan is to leave during party and go get myself some cake next door at Albertson's.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Stroke Workout, back to indoor routine

by , May 3rd, 2012 at 06:47 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    So after 1 LCM workout, I have decided to bag the outdoor on my own thing. It completely disrupts my showering routine. Being so used to nice shower pressure, free shampool/cond/bodywash and fluffy towels (that I don't have to bring or wash, I might add!), I just can't do the great outdoors.

Billy G coached
    recall Tue/Thurs are stroke days

500 warmup
    "SMU IM" 100 free/back/free/breast/free

12 x 50 kick on 1 Min

20 x 50's on 1:00
    5 sets of 4
    :30 rest in between
    Rotating IM's
    Fly/back
    back/breast
    breast/free
    free/fly

I did 3 sets IM, then did backstrokes on sets 4 and 5. Good training for my next 200 backstroke! Not sure how to translate, but
    Set 4 back: 41, 43, 43, 41
    Set 5 back: 40, 41, 39, 38
    I think I can push them a bit more. Part of the key is to get a good turn and trajectory off the wall. Otherwise you use all your silver bullets trying to straighten out and an inefficient breakout.

8 x 100 pull
    2 on 1:45
    4 on 1:25
    2 on 1:45
    ====> no, did misc 50's around everyone pulling very easy. I was pooped out!

The End
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Today was quite difficult. I am so bloated I feel like I have an anvil in my tummy and two personal watermelons strapped to my calves. But the consecutive days of Ruffles and dip were quite worth it.

I really like the line in the latest swimmer magazine - ...."Bay says that the goal for a masters swimmer should be to discover the least amount of work you can do and still accomplish your goals, providing your goals are realistic and healthy." I think I already do this, but I use the cost/benefit continuum. Here's my 100 free analysis, or, more to the point, why I rarely swim the 100 free:

Current best time: 54.7
    Commentary: pretty hard and not altogether pleasant feeling.
    Analysis: Don't really care to swim it.

What if's:
    53.99 need a bit more effort training ==> no, still don't care
    52.99 this gives me pause. but no, i'd have to say not worth the effort I know i'd have to put in. Better to do nothing more and continue at 54.7
    51.99. There are so many girls that go 51's it would be fleeting for a moment, but ugh, the thought of the effort is a total dealkiller. I have no desire to train up to my potential just to be in the no-man's land of 51's.
    50.99 or even better? That's barely even USA winter nationals, and totally not worth the effort. Hand me some Ruffles and Dip, please.

My goal these days is to stay a solid non tapering regional/sectional cut qualifier in the 50 free. The day I have trouble doing that in season, then I will have to reconsider the cost/benefit continum. I would also like to get as many top tens as possible, with no specific places in mind. To simply make top ten consistently is fine with me. No one really cares or remembers whether you were 3rd, 7th, or 10th. 10th is like winning an Olympic bronze medal. You are just so glad you showed up, and swam hard enough, then got a place!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. LCM workout on my own!

by , May 1st, 2012 at 03:24 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    LCM @ SMU Outdoor pool
    cost me $5.00
    but i'm not buying a summer pass @ $150 'cause I don't think I will actually go 30 times!!!

My OWN lane. For the first 1600....

400 warm up

8 x 50 on 1:00
    25 IM stroke/25 moderate free
    held 37 (free/free) to 43 (breast/free)

Kick with Speedo Optimus fins
    2 on tummy/2 on back
    held 37-40

8 x 50 on 1:15
    "backward rotating 12 1/2"
    start with easy 37.5; fast last 12.5
    easy 25/fast 12.5/easy 12.5
    easy 12.5/fast 12.5/easy 25
    fast 12.5/easy 37.5
    total elapsed time 36-40's

pull BUOY yes, you read this right! and paddles and snorkel
    held just under 40s

4 x 50 no interval
    2 with TYR burner fins/2 no equipment
    strong push off and sprint 10 strokes

The End

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I felt ok. It was a bit weird to swim on my own and LCM, completely off my normal routine of swimming @ Baylor SCM indoors. I also had to project my Don't Share with Me! persona, so that was also another thing I was multi-tasking and it was a bit distracting. I made an extra effort to huff and puff loudly on the walls in lieu of swimming fly. That actually seemed to work!

Since I rarely swim LCM, this was a good time to do a bunch of 50's just to get more used to the length. I had very little "burst" speed today. I'm not sure if that's because i'm out of bursting shape, or from the dryland stuff I have been doing. Probably both. I was NOT happy with lack of transition speed between the fast and easy 12.5's. So that is definately something to work on.

I included my paces above since I don't know what is a "good time".

Last night:
    Legs and Back X, Ab Ripper X
    ==> I am replacing a lot of the side and directional lunges with sneaky/tip toe lunges and the multi-step lunge and weights, and also replaced a few other things with the wall squats. For some reason, those are a bit easier on my knees and it incorporates balance and simply moving your entire body from one side of the room to the other, with a graceful, controlled turn. The problem is my legs are getting stronger but I can tell I am limited by the knee area. Absolutely no way on the chair lunges. I don't do the pull ups, but get on my vasa and swim away.

I am replacing Yoga X with Core X. Since I already do yoga within my free stretch and about 20 mins x 3 days a week, I think the Core X would be a better fit. I don't see why they only use Core X in the 4th week of the cycle.

I'll probably accelerate week #7 and bank this week's rest day for Saturday, since I swim the meet on Sun AM.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Lone LCM meet report amist USMS Nationals!

by , April 29th, 2012 at 01:04 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Here's how I did!!

Recall last season I ranged from 28.2 to 28.7. My bests have been 27.7, but I think swimming more LCM workouts - sprint workouts. So I think if I do 1, just 1 extra LCM workout customized for moi, that will make a huge difference!!!

I must say, that was a very solid time for me! I have only done 1 LCM workout since the Austing Grand Prix LCM meet (01/14/12) and decided not to wear goggles since I couldn't see "better" with them anyway. You don't need to feel good to swim fast, and you don't need to see where you're going, either!!

Plus, I had my docket on Friday and then did parent karate day in the AM. I watched 3 episodes of GRIMM, and then off to the meet! I do not like PM swim meets.

I was quite tired. I did P90X Back & Biceps the night before. I felt like I had an anvil on my back starting at mid-air on the dive. Usually the anvil doens't appear until the 35 meter mark! But, I kept my breathing (twice) and really drove for the wall. The best thing I did, which i've been practicing this week, is to finish on my side. I won my heat, and I was really surprised. A bunch of clustered times, but I think with my spidery long arms and a sideways lunge, that made the difference.

and now, today's LCM workout!

Sunday, 04/29
    SMU outdoors, LCM

400 warm up

6 x 75
    25 kick/25 drill/25 swim
    then your "rest" is 10 seconds of vertical kicking

I loved this transition set!!!!

50/100/150/200 pull on ??
    ===========>no.
    4 x 50's strong fly within the time limit

4 x 200 swim on 3:40
    Some sort of mix of strong/smooth
    ==> I kicked these with my Speedo Optimus fins, attempting same pace as swim; last one was on 2:44

200/150/100/50 no interval
    kick the first 50 of each; alt kick/swim
    moderate; "recovery", and warm down set

The End

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hooray for me! A LCM workout! I think I will try to swim 2 x LCM per week. Either the workouts or just come during open swim and pay the 3 or 5 dollars entry fee. There are lots of things I would do to customize my own workouts, starting with nearly every set being 50's. This workout was ok, but very non-specific. And it's not ideal to be swimming strong 50 flys through a landmine of paddled swimmers.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Thursday, 04/26/12 another stroke day

by , April 26th, 2012 at 05:37 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I was able to swim at noon again. I got there a bit late.

Billy Glasstetter on deck

I forgot to ask about his 1000 fly for the forum thread.

warm up - no missed it.

10 x 50 kick on 1:00
    I swam/kick/stroked these warmup

6 x 25's on :35 to get ready
    mix strokes/free

Main Stroke Set:

4 x 100's on 2:00
    100 fly (about 1:21)
    75 fly/25 easy free (1:00)
    50 fly/50 easy free (?)
    25 fly/75 easy free (?)
    increase effort on the stroke as you take off a 25 on each.

Rest a bit.

same thing backstroke
    1:25
    :59
    :36
    :?

Rest a bit.

same thing breastroke
    1:37
    ??
    :43
    :20

400 pull for warm down
    ====> I did 100 kick with snorkel & fins, 100 with pull buoy

The End

Ok! That was a very challenging set, especially on the fly. The original workout had straight 100's stroke. I had a good lane, where everyone went 10 seconds apart and actually did the entire thing.

The fly was pretty hard. The key is to not panic on the 100, because that 75 is the real killer. Once you get past the 75, you are home free!

The breast was also pretty hard. I am not used to doing that much breastroke! But I felt it was one of my best breast sets in a long long time, and my arm wasn't hurting.

Wed: Plyo X.
    Today: off. Helen has her IP night, so I won't have enough time to do it today. I'll just pick up on tomorrow what was today's (I think Back & Biceps).

Then swim meet on Saturday. Swimming in the afternoon session sucks. I have a kid's flower show 8-10 am, parent karate 10:30-12 noon, then go to the swim meet around 4pm. I will skip P90X again, and pick it up on Sunday. But that's not really that much rest time - lunch, a movie in bed, then hoist myself back up for a cameo 50 free. Yikes!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Tuesday 04/24 stroke day

by , April 24th, 2012 at 08:40 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Bobby Patten coached
    Tues/Thurs are stroke day!

300 warm up

10 x 50 kick on 1:00
    I did 5 on my back and then 5 on my side with the snorkel. Bobby said I was wasting my time and to just kick on my stomach.

400 pull
    ==>no. free with PFS for a 200

Main Set:

4 x 25 fly on :30
    100 IM strong on 1:30
    easy 50 free on 1:30

4 x 25 back on :30

4 x 25 breast on :30

then.....repeat! for a total of 6 rounds.

200 pull
    ==== wait! I actually DID THE PULL! I used my pink and white striped pull buoy, no paddles, and did the whole thing! a mid-length break to adjust the slipped buoy, but I still think it counts as a continuous 200 pull! I amaze myself!

This was a solid stroke day with no specific speed work other than the strong 100's. But it was actually very tough after each of the 25's, which you couldn't really go easy on.

It was fun pulling. I almost never use my bouy. I guess I was just too lazy to put on my PFS (paddles, fins, snorkel).

Last night: Cardio X, tonight is Chest/Shoulders/Triceps beginning of week #6.

30 day report! My husband took the 30 day pictures, but they don't look very good. For one thing, he sat down and so all the shots make my hips and legs look huge, and my head look coneheaded and small. I have gone from 142.8 to 139.4, which isn't anything spectacular, but it means I only have to lose 3 lbs to get to 136.x instead of "something over 5 lbs away". However, it is very difficult not to squander the days and leave it up to a hail mary in week #8 to get those last 3 lbs. Then I only have to lose 1 more lb in the last cycle to meet my desired weight of 135! My back shots clearly show a more defined V in my muscly-swimmer's shoulders. I am happy to report my butt looks less inflated. I am well within my butt-PSI limit However, I still have periodic muffin topping which is not due to the periodic cycle, and I don't pass the naked jiggle test. On the other hand, I do pass the suck in your gut to a perfectly flat stomach test, and bend slightly backwards to see your abs ripple test. The problem isn't developing the muscles, it's that I can't let go of my McDonalds, Ruffles, charms blow pops and strawberry frosted pop tarts to loose that layer of outer fat that conceals them! Maybe I will do 2 lbs/2 lbs in the last cycle. 3 lbs is just such a huge committment.

Bonus Clip!

Here's another bonus clip from the Republic of Texas World Championships, February 2012!

http://youtu.be/mdGSiXoetYk

Today is my parent's 47th anniversary, hooray!!!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Sunday LCM workout

by , April 22nd, 2012 at 03:40 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I probably would not have blogged today, but I thought Fort might appreciate more reading material, as it appears she is not back just yet.....

Recap Saturday:
    I skipped P90X on Friday so doubled up.
    AM - Yoga on my own;
    PM - Legs and Back
    I substituted all shoulder strenghtening/rotator cuff type arm exercises for the pullups, and did all the leg stuff.

Sunday, LCM SMU outdoor pool
    Bobby Patten on deck but I wasn't going to do the proscribed workout anyway!

500 warm up
    I actually did this entire thing without stopping!

4 x100's kick on 2:00
    Speedo B&O Optimus fins; kick on back
    held between 1:18 nd 1:20
    Went strong and goal with these fins is to kick as fast as I can swim the same set.

6 x 150's on descending interval. about 2:20's or so, I wasn't really listening.
    =================> no.
    Per each 150, 1 strong 50, easy swim and turnaround in the middle after last person for just over another 50 total.
    3 fly; 3 free
    fastest fly 37ish; fastest free 33ish

4 x 100's swim or pull on 1:40
    ============> no.
    4 x 100 kick on side with Speedo fins and snorkel; face turned down but kick on sides

4 x 150 on faster interval
    ==============> no. same thing
    1 fast 50; then easy swim and turnaround in middle
    odds fly; evens free.
    fastest fly 40ish; fastest free 35ish

The End

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This was my first LCM practice in a long long time! It wasn't that bad since I was able to modify it. But I really ran out of steam by the last round and could only must a 40/35 on the fly/free. My kick was quite strong and I gloat over being able to use my snorkel while on my side. That really helps me just focus on the kick instead of turning the head to breathe.

Tonight: Cardio X, my favorite!!!

My summer meet schedule, of which I will likely do most but not all:

04/29 Local USA meet;
    05/06 Local USA meet;
    05/18-20 Texas Senior Circuit #3 at TAMU and/or Woodlands USMS meet
    05/22 - Happy Birthday to me!!! No swim meet.
    06/02 - Local USA meet;
    06/10 - Local USA meet;
    06/24 - Local USA meet;
    06/25 - DAMM USMS meet

Off......there are 3 more local meets plus USA sectionals, but I am not planning on swimming those right now.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Workout clips of Moi!

by , April 21st, 2012 at 04:29 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Bonus post! Coach Barney took some clips of me duing workout on Friday (see previous post). The backstroke and freestyle were recovery swim 25's, and the fly must have been one of the fast swims. I hope this was the 100 - 25 easy free/75 fast fly. It sure looks that painful.

Anyway, have a look-see! Good thing I wasn't totally goofing off. Or else he didn't send me those clips. No, actually, I still kept pretty good form, even when I thought no one was looking!

http://youtu.be/JnDt8u_QB50

Fly commentary: My head is too high, hands too high, and my shoulders are really low. My UW arms are way apart, and I remember thinking, my arms are way apart and totally dead! My legs are just dragging at the end and I have very little core strength to drive my body. Boy and I out of fly shape. The only thing that saves me is a low frontal profile (ie, stayin' skinny!) so I have less to drag. But it won't propel me faster! I also cowboy kicked at the end and gave up as I was taking the last stroke, since I can see the cowboy stance at the very end. I'll work on those finer details!! Notice also that I am throwing my arms forward, and I think a bit too fast simply to get them over the water. I'm throwing my center of gravity out in front of me, thus when my arms enter, I am not "holding" the water and can do not much more than simply slip them back. A very, very subtle change in the arm recovery and I can keep that center of gravity in my body, or at least at high chest, so that when my arms enter, I have that tiger in the tank to hold the water and pull with strength and umph. Geez, my legs are totally floppy. I blame that on disengaging my hips and thus the gratutitous flippy kick isn't helping at all. And you don't need to see to swim fast, heh heh, look ma, no goggles!

http://youtu.be/V6Vsa9pxc1g

Free commentary: Ok! Much better! Even when no one is looking, i'm still doing quite a few things right. Pretty ingrained by now to kick hard off the walls, even in the most basic recovery 25's. Notice fast feet at beginning of clip. Feet keep moving and driving from lower half. I am arguably working my arms the least of anyone around me. Bilateral breathing. But I can work on continuous kick and even a bit longer of walls. The bilateral breathing is good, but there is no reason to take more than 3 breaths in a 25, no matter how easy it is. Work on attention to breath on every set, warmup and warmdown.

http://youtu.be/-eosBjv8O_E

Back commentary: Not much to comment on easy back. My elbows are straight, they just look bent!

DOUBLE BONUS!!! Here's my first every 200 backstroke at the Colonies Zone meet! See a few posts previous for splits. I'm in lane 2.

http://youtu.be/ZgrOW-GCMi0

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Let me know what you think!!!

PS This is a typical Friday workout. You are seeing most of the easy bits and one strong bit. See our nice pool!

Updated April 21st, 2012 at 05:37 PM by chowmi

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. End of week update

by , April 20th, 2012 at 03:12 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I did another real workout! Or, at least most of the glory bits!

Steve Barnicoat coached

300 warm up

12 x 25's
    kick/drill/swim

6 x 100's pull on 1:30
    no. of course not
    =======>6 x 50's with PFS

Part I: Main Sprinty Set
    3 x 100's on 2:15
    1. 75 easy/25 fast
    2. 50 easy/50 fast
    3. 25 easy/75 fast
    I did these fly on fast bits. 1:16 total time on #3, but it makes a big difference when you do one of those lengths freestyle!

12 x 25 on :35
    kick/stroke/swim

4 x 100 pull on 1:30
    you guess it.
    =========> 4 x 50 with PFS

Part II: Main Sprint Set
    4 x 50's on 1:15
    odd: easy down/sprint back
    evens: all sprint
    I did all fly on fast bits. 34 on last fly.

12 x 25's on :35
    kick/swim/swim your choice

The End

I am getting back into fly shape. It wasn't horrible, but I certainly am not in my best fly shape!

Since the last post, let's see:
    Plyo X on Wed;
    Back & Biceps last night Thurs;
    Tonight - Yoga X. I am probably not going to put the DVD in. I do like the range and choices of poses, but I don't like the pace and order of them. It is quite hard on the shoulders so i'm going to modify with more standy uppy stuff and sitting down stuff, and more stretching stuff than strength stuff. Especially since I swam and used my big shoulder muscles for flying, I don't want to "double up" with so much yoga on my shoulders. And i'll keep it closer to 1 hour. 90 minutes is way over the top. That cuts into my pistachio eating/TV time!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Midweek update

by , April 18th, 2012 at 03:40 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Recap!

Monday - off

Tuesday - P90X 2nd "module", week #5, day 1: Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps

This was really hard. I was still very tired from the meet but I did it anyway. By the end, I had this really, really weird and pronounced shaking in my arms! And since I am very double jointed, it was like a cross between the possessed body of Evil Dead and the Exorcist head turning, except it was my elbow joint.

Ab ribber. I can sort of bicycle backwards, with extreme concentration, but only a few times and then it turns into the brake pedal motion again. But I think I am getting it!

Wed - SWIM!
    I went to a real workout! About time, i've been paying my monthly membership!!

Jim Montgomery on deck

Warm up
    200 swim
    200 pull

another 200 pull

8 x 50 on 50
    descend 1 -4

12 x 25's on :35
    odd: kick 1/2 UW
    even: fast
    Fins and mix kick stroke

200 easy with breath control

8 x 50 on :45

200 kick

14 x 25's on :35
    1 fast, 1 easy
    2 fast ,1 easy
    3 fast, 1 easy
    4 fast, 1 easy
    I built an IM

300 easy pull

I did most of the workout except lopped off a bit on the easy stuff and warm up. It was ok. Nothin' special.

Next up: PlyoX tonight and maybe more real workouts the rest of this week. Very non-specific stuff for the next bit here.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Colonies Zone meet report!

by , April 16th, 2012 at 01:39 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Hi everyone i'm back home!!! All the flights were delayed but I got home ok.

I haven't been here for awhile and chose not to go to the Marriott's business center to get on the internet. There were too many things to do, like watch several loops of the hotel channel, read the Marriott Binder of Services, study the room service menu (then place order!), stash toilettries in my luggage, and arrange all 6 pillows plus 3 sham covered square pillow things for bedtime! I was completely encased in a warm pillow cocoon!

Overall, this meet is a total winner! I am completely enamoured with this meet, and as Arnold Schwarzenegger says, "I'll be back!"

I met lots of nice people! Swimshark really took me under her fin. She gave me the finer points of where to sit - No, not there, it gets wet and you are in Wheelchair Woman's space. We only sit here for distance day. Go to diving well area. No, not on that side of the diving well, this side. Yes, you can lay out your gushy yoga mat.

I also met Jim "The banana man" Thornton, Leslie, aka The "Impenatrable" Fortress, Jazz Hands (short for Jazz Hands, Chest, Shoulders, Biceps, and Triceps!), Sir "Speedy" Speedo (his nickname is "Pete"), plus others! Swimshark also pointed out taruky, but no, I didn't critique him in real life, either.

I missed the gridge! It seems kind of silly for me, though. There are so many fast people at this meet, so it seems odd to gridge one person when you've got more competition than you can see in this murky green water to worry about (I think I changed it into a verb). But i'm flattered that anyone would assume i'd be going 26! Well, I didn't really miss it, I just was in the one duking it out with the 27's and not the 26's with Fort and Fall. Hey, that sounds good! Fort and Fall! Crap! I even got beat in my own age group! That sucks!!! I won my age group in all other events! It's always a function of showin' up, and for others not showin' up! But first, you gotta show up!

Hey wait a minute!! I forgot to pick up my medals! But I didn't see anyone else getting theirs, so I guess that's why I forgot.

Here's how I did:

50 free (100 free split) 24.74
    50 breast 33.55
    100 back 1:03.18 (30.90 32.28)
    50 fly 27.21

1st day commentary: I was very pleased with my swims! Overall time was not my best, but still very strong times, considering my focus is P90X and to stay in good racing shape! I executed very well; 1/1 on both free/fly breath, and the 100 back was a test of whether I had conditioning (and speed). My spread was 1.38 seconds, so I think that's pretty good!

50 free (200 free split) 24.75
    50 back 29.37
    50 free 24.84 (zone record)
    200 back 2:24.05 (34.81, 37.23, 37.17, 34.84; 1:12.04, 1:12.01 holy crapola I negative split it!!)
    100 fly - scratch

2nd day commentary: I did nearly the same exact time in the 50 free! Here are my master's times: 25.1 24.7 24.7 24.7 24.8! My USA times this year were 24.4 24.6 24.9 24.9!

I felt really tired when I hit the water for the actual 50 free. By then it was my 7th event of the meet and I felt it all of a sudden! So I decided to put more effort into the 200 back and not do the 100 fly. I think I went too easy and I had a lot left at the end. I actually negative split it! I think next time I will try to press it harder at the beginning and then try and hold on. I only did dolphin kicks off the start, and went to all free UW kick after that. It really saved energy! I just made sure to still go strong and get my feet past the flags.

I got to see my cousins and came back with about 10 hand me down dresses for my girls!!! They came to the meet and watched my 50 free and 200 back. Since they were waiting, I just hurried and left without saying goodbyes, but I felt it wasn't really goodbye, since I'LL BE BACK!!!!!

PS. You DAMM men suck. I have to carry the weight for the whole team to our 29th place finish!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Colonies Zone meet, here I come!

by , April 12th, 2012 at 12:10 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    This is just a placeholder post so I don't forget what I did between Monday and the meet.

Not much.

On track for week #4 of P90X.
    1/2 yoga video to stop at 45 min;
    Yesterday was Cardio, replaced Kenpo X;
    Today is CoreX
    Friday/Sat are the rest days
    Skip Sunday and start week #5 on Monday when I get back.

Swimming:
    Easy day on Wed and nothing else until I get to Colonies Zone meet. I think I did 200 w/up; 3 x 100 kick; 100 easy, then swim misc. easy to 30 minutes.

Thoughts on the meet:
    My main thought today is that I will think about it when I finally get to the pool for warmup on Friday night. That way, the travel, check-in at hotel, and mini-nap are all out of the way and I can finally relax!

My times of 24.7 free and 27.4 fly very likely will stay top ten times at the end of the season, so it is a bonus to get the opportunity to improve on those times. I will do 3 x 50 frees and i'm going to try different things for fun. I might try 1/0 and see if that is just too distracting, or if I am holding a better "acceleration" (rather, less deceleration) at the end of the race by not breathing that one extra time on the way back.

and...just for jadams....i'm really excited for breakfast at the airport McDonalds tomorrow!!! Though I never branch out - it is always a sausage biscuit with egg combo, with the coffee.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast