View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Michelle's blog on swimming and other fun stuff!

My USMS info:
My team: Dallas Aquatic Masters

My USA info:
My team: Dallas Mustangs

1. Meet report

by , December 3rd, 2011 at 07:14 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Ok, here it is:

Solid, improving with the season, but not quite as fast as I wanted to be. (24.9 24.6 24.4)

The bad bits:
    1. Crappy turn. Came in long (or short if I had to take a 1/2 stroke) so bad luck-of-the-draw.
    2. Even with "mistakes", overall, just not fast enough to get close to 23.99

The good news!!!!
    1. I FELT good today! No bloating and relatively loose!
    2. I felt strong, and had more "control" of my body instead of the mindless I-know-I'm-Grinding-But-Too-Late-Now! feeling.
    3. Breathing patten intact at 1 down/1 back. Felt very comfortable with it today, perhaps because the lack of bloating makes me feel like I have more room for my lungs.

So to turn in another ho-hum throw-that-mid 24-on-the-pile swim into something constructive, here it is:

1. If I can stay on a SIX week "program", then i'll be as ready as I ever have been for a swim meet (Austin Grand Prix). And really, this is about the max time I can "forecast" out. This includes a very specific emphasis on weights/strength work and swim sets for my "cycle" to peak MLK weekend. This means I will have to do workouts on my own. No time for fat or sets that do not best support a 50 LCM freestyle.
    2. Bad turn? Upon reflection, it was not the turn that was bad; I think it was more just something that happens every now and then in a 50 race, regardless of the stroke. So it's not something I think needs correction, although one can always work on the turn, now I am preparing for a LCM 50 - no turn!
    3. Continue with slight stroke adjustment - it felt strong and really good! Now fine tune it.
    4. Six week program includes 1 lb per week (started this last week at 140, this week I was 139) until I am 135 and then hold it. I realize this is not sustainable, i'd rather be eating lots of junk food and am happy to carry the extra 5 lbs. But the tradeoff of 6 weeks with being Dara-lean for one meet is worth a go!

Next up:
    DAMM Christmas relay meet!
  2. Day before my cameo 50 free

by , December 2nd, 2011 at 04:20 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I swam on my own next to the workout.

400 ish warm up

200 various kick

4 x 50 various

about 30 minutes of 25's, only 1 a sprint, the rest just easy stuff including walking in the middle of the pool. For when 25's are just too much distance.

Total pool time: 40 minutes

First place: to hot tub and choice of showers, heh heh

The question when you don't feel good is: What do I need to do in order to be as ready as possible on RACE DAY? Or rather, what should I not do?, or How little should I do? I don't think walking around in the middle of the pool is going to hurt my swim tomorrow. In fact, it was kind of relaxing to bob around in the middle of the pool and play with my toes.

I have a tendancy to want to "Test My Speed" as I get towards a swim meet. But I really had to refrain from doing a bunch of fast 25's when my body was really saying, no! or rather ==>no! heh heh

So I felt like I was "creeping up" on trying to do fast 25's, so I decided, just do ONE, then shut it down! Theory confirmed - I haven't slowed down since 2 days ago.

Here is the meet info:

Not sure if that worked, but don't worry; in 24 hours i'll have a report of how close to the 24 mark I swam.

Wish me luck!
  3. Short sprint Wednesday

by , November 30th, 2011 at 04:39 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    SCM, Baylor Fitness Center
    Jim Montgomery coached

I modified most things, to stay short and not get too tired out.

400 warm up

4 x 150 pull (no way!)
    ==>75 strong descend, easy 25 back

4 x 125 kick (hmm, ok!)
    50 fast 25 easy 50 fast
    ==> I did these.

4 x 100 on 1:30 swim (uh, no.)
    ==>4x 50's drilling - fly kick freestyle

4 x 75 pull on 1:05 (yuck. no)
    ==>4 x 25 variables

4 x 50 swim (no)
    4 x 25 sprint (no, in hottub by then, first to the showers!)
    ==>easy 50 and got out.

Not much commentary about it. Pretty happy with speed but still overall tired and tight. A few more days rest and then the meet. I think I will sit in the hallway behind the spectator bleachers this year. It's too cold, crowded, and damp on deck at this meet. I'm going to warm up at Baylor first, so I don't need to be on deck until right before I swim my 50 free.
  4. Slamming on the brakes!

by , November 28th, 2011 at 04:00 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Billy Glasstetter on deck

400 warm up

12 x 50 on 1 min
    odds: kick
    evens: drill

The rest of workout I swam around everyone in the lane:

4 x 25
    12.5 fast, 12/5 easy

easy 50

4 x 25
    standard variable fast/easy

easy 100

The End - 30 minutes total

Today I did juuuuust the right thing for me. I needed to take it easy rather than more swimming. A bit of speed work, just a wee bit to stay alert. The 25's ended up being about on 1 min each. My left arm/shoulder still felt weak, and at best I was "aware" of it, so I decided no full sprints (except variable #4), lots of rest and hanging around on the wall, then off to the hot tub!
  5. Cold Sunday LCM

by , November 27th, 2011 at 10:56 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I braved the cold weather for LCM today, on the fence for MLK's LCM meet.

LCM, SMU outdoor pool, 9AM workout
    Bobby Patten coached
    (but I goofed off half the workout)

500 warm up

10 x 50 on 1 min
    37.5 swim/12.5 fast kick
    I worked this set as my main set, really putting effort into the kick!

Main set:
    4 times through:
    various, blah blah blah
    ==>no. in fact I just stopped listening to the set even before instructions were finished.

me? Tried out my new TYR Burner fins, which were anythng but burning up the water. These things are tough to kick with! For that reason, I like them way better than my blue & orange speedo fins. And then I spent the other part of the set discussing my training with Bobby.

I don't think it is a bad thing to swim only 1/2 the workout. As long I get in something that really counts! It would have been a total waste if I goofed off that first set of 50's but I sort of knew i'd be mentally done after about 25 minutes, so time to go for it!

I really can't stand the sardine packing in LCM. It doesn't bother me in SCM going 5 seconds apart, but it is so distracting and annoying to me that everyone bunch up and draft off each other when there is plenty of space to go 10 seconds apart!

Today I went to Kohl's and got super sale items for my girls, plus my $15 in Kohl's cash. Goody for me! Then I went to Luke's Locker but everything there seemed to be the same old boring stuff at non-sale prices. Even the sales rack wasn't such a good deal.

In other totally riveting news, I ordered the complete Schoolhouse Rock DVD and an uglydoll hat for my youngest from amazon. Then I threw in Human Centipede for myself. I guess it's no surprise it got very poor reviews and was marked down to a mere $7.xx. I'm going to make chowsh watch it with me to see how medically accurate it is. If we get too scared or too disgusted, i'll just pop in the Schoolhouse Rocks and we can have a sing-a-long.

This week i'll just try to stay as loose (lose?) as possible. My left arm is really "tired" and my shoulder joint feels "weak". I think my right arm is getting tired holding up the Soduku book. The higher the level, the longer I have to hold it up 'til I finish it! I'll have to go back down from the 400's to the 100's so I can "taper" my arms, plus get that feeling of totally domination when I whiz through the 100's that I skipped over.

I think I see more Soduku under the xmas tree!!!!
  6. 2 fast 100 frees

by , November 25th, 2011 at 05:03 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Billy Glasstetter coached

warm up

Pull set:
    100 unknown interval
    ==>I got in late so goofed around during this set. Did about every other 50.

Main Set:

Three times through; swim/kick/swim
    :30 per 25 base on the kick

100 1:30
    2 x 50 :50
    4 x 25 :30
    100 FAST

I went easy on everything except the fast 100's; 1:07 and 1:06 - GREAT times for me!!! The middle kick? Thwarted by lane leader messing up the set so I swam into him. That's ok, we all got extra rest by having to stop in between sets #2 and #3 to explain it.

So, the only other time I swam faster was a get out swim circa 1994 with a dive from the blocks (1:02).

I felt like most people post-T-day. My tummy was still full and I nearly tossed my turkey on the kick, and my lungs felt like the size of 2 peanuts, being so pushed from the the tummy. But, i've been working on my kick, so I just kicked, kicked, kicked my way to strong swims. My arms were pretty tired, reason unknown.

I'm going to take it easy this week, in order to maximize my speed for the 50 free in a week. Not a real taper, but doing the sets that will enable me to swim as fast and fresh mentally as I can be next Saturday! WEEEEE!!!!
  7. The lull of Thanksgiving week

by , November 22nd, 2011 at 01:05 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Ok, here are the results from the DAMM SCM Meet:

And my 200 fly splits

1:21.09 44.20
    2:07.63 46.54
    2:48.08 40.45

Ok! So it looks like I spent more energy going slow than it would have taken me to just go smooth and faster! I can clearly see how to improve without even training more for this event - go out a wee bit faster, and go low 40's in the middle bits. I think I can lop off enough time to go under 2:40 the next time. My converted time to SCY is a 2:30 which seems awfully modest, so my goal is to go 2:25 in SCY this season. If I swim it. My daughter's swim coach video'd me. The turns were sharp, UWs good, and then it looked like I was spending a lot of energy trying to go slow and I was low in the water.

Here is yesterday's workout:

400 warm up

Pull set:
    3 x 300's pull
    100 strong kick with fins on back;
    2 x 50 smooth
    per every 300

Kick set:
    30 per 25 base, last 25 of everything fast, no fins, alt tummy with board, on back no board
    2 x 100
    2 x 75
    2 x 50
    2 x 25

Main set:
    3 rounds
    3 x 100 1:30 1:25 1:20 by set
    2 x 50 recovery
    3 x 50 fly's (instead of the 100's)
    2 x 50 recovery
    held 35-38's

So if I can make 50's strong well under 40 (and in the mosh pit of freestylers), and I can make 75's under 1:00 in practice, then it seems a 2:48 is way too slow. Though I have no 200 knowledge, it seems that I should be averaging under 40's per 200 in a race? Anyone?

Perhaps a better measure would be "broken" 50 flys - it's one thing to hold 35-38's when you are going on 1:30 to 1:20 interval (only 3 plus 2 easy recovery 50's), but if I could hold those when they are on 4 x 50 on 1 min or 50 sec, then that would be a better indication of how fast I can do a 200 fly race. Something like this:

3 sets
    4 x 50 fly
    1 min/50 sec/45 sec by round
    Trying to hold the same pace with less rest?

In other news, a certain someone wants to room with me at the Austin Grand Prix. It totally made me excited she thought I was that fast, especially since she's been to 5 Olympics and is trying to decide if she wants to commit to going it for #6. Then she asked if I was going to Nationals, and I was awed how fast she thought I was when i'm just not close anymore to the cuts. But, now I want to live up to Martina's expecations and at least put that 23.99 back on the table. I'd like to stay close to it (goal #1) but I see absolutely nothing wrong with relying on doubling down on the sheer willpower element (plan B) when training is truncated by life. WISH ME LUCK!!!
  8. 200 fly has potential!

by , November 20th, 2011 at 01:57 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    SCM, DAMM Meet 11/19

I suppose one should swim a 200 fly at least once every decade!

2:48.? I think that was me. Probably out in 1:20 low? I hit my goal of swimming it legal and a nice 90-95% effort. And I didn't miscount. I had way too much left in the tank at the end so I think I had more speed and conditioning than I thought. I think I could drop substantially just by knowing I wasnt' so tired out by the 3rd 50. Maybe out in as fast as 1:15 to 1:18 and then come back in low 1:20's. I think I should have gone out like I would have in a 400 im, rather than worrying about whether I could make the back half, which wasn't so bad!

I might swim this in SCY. But I don't feel compelled to. I might try the 200 back next time. And it's also been a long while since I swam the 400 IM. So those are other options.

Next up:
    SCY big local A meet; 50 free and maybe 100 fly. I'd like to drop to low 24 at least.
  9. Sunday meet result

by , November 13th, 2011 at 11:24 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I swam a 50 free at a local USA A meet:

I'm pretty sure that's what the scoreboard said! Much better than the first of the season (24.9) and mid 24 was a goal this meet.

Solid, not spectacular.

Next up for USA: Dec 12/03-04/11 local meet:

I hope to go 24.2 or 24.3 on sheer willpower given the amount of time/energy that I can allocate to swimming right now. That would be a solid time and i'd be happy with it as a season best. The next best thing to going 23.99 is to stay within striking distance. That way i'll always be ready to stairstep it down instead of starting from scratch!

Masters Next up:

DAMM SCM meet on 11/19/11.

I am going to enter the

50 free
    200 fly

just for fun.

Looking forward:

I am still toying with going to the Austin Grand Prix or just staying in town and swimming a local USA meet over MLK day in January 2012. For now, i'll probably enter both, then see what I want to do. It's worth the $10 "insurance" to enter the Austin meet, and then I can always decide at the last minute. One of the benefits of driving.
  10. Wednesday was Great!

by , November 9th, 2011 at 07:38 PM (Chowmi's Blog)

I swam with the team today! I won't be able to the rest of the week, so it was great to get in 2x this week!

Warm up:
    200 swim/200 kick/200 pull

Pull set:
    2 rounds of 4 x 150's on 2:20
    1st 100/50 fast
    2nd 50/50 fast/50
    3rd probably 50 fast/100?
    4th either all easy or all fast?

I wasn't really listening, so I did them all strong descend, and did 1/2 of the set ( 4 x 150) held 1:55 to 1:50. used pull buoy and green paddles

==>2nd set:
    no. did 2 x 50 for every 150 same interval
    fly kick with fins & snorkel no board

Kick Set:
    6 x 75 on 1:30
    25 fast, 50 smooth

Sprint set, hooray!
    12 x 50
    1-4 12.5 fast on 1:00
    5-8 25 fast on :50
    9-12 50 fast on :40 held 35's

The End
    Today was a good workout. I did some pulling, and that was sort of fun, as long as no one was drafting off of me. I led lane 2, going on 2:20 vs. 2:15. It wasn't so much the interval, but the mix of lane. I didn't know 2 of the 5 people, and so it was easier to go first in the next lane than risk miscalculating the order, and end up behind or in front of the wrong speed person.

Then moved back to lane 1 and led the kick set, went 2nd on the sprint set, since a fin-wearer led, but then he dropped out so I got to lead on the fast-pace 50's on 40, which was great since I was leading and no draft handicap. Great times for me today, and very punchy on the fast bits at the end.

Next up: a 4 hour roundtrip to Tyler, TX tomorrow for a surprise office party. I won't get to swim, but I that's why I made the effort to go today.

Goal times/ranges:

Here is the Texas Senior Circuit times for this season:

So I have a current auto in the 50 free, albeit a relatively slow first meet time. Last year I had auto/bonus in the 50/100 free, 100 fly, and 100 back. This helps to keep me focused on goal times.
  11. Monday 11/07/11

by , November 7th, 2011 at 04:42 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today I swam with the team!
    I know I won't tomorrow due to a conference call. I am now on a run rate of 1 hour workout with team, 2 x 30 min on my own, and 1 vasa day. I don't think that's too bad!

Warm up
    200 swim/kick/pull

8 x 50 on 1:00

4 x 200 pull; 2 on 3:00 2 on 2:45
    == tricked ya! I actually did part of this set!!!

1-2 Pull with paddles and buoy (held 2:30
    3 Swim just under 2:35
    Disgusted with myself for actually doing the whole 200 thing, so sat out #4 and did 4 x 25s easy.

6 x 100's pull 1:30
    ==>no! did them kick with fins;held 1:20

8 x 50 kick on 1:00
    no fins. held 52-49

Easy swim 50

Today was nearly a wasted day. The lanes were so crowded with 5-6 per lane. I had no where to go except fall into line and go the entire distances. I went 3rd on the 200's. While it was nice to marvel at how fast I could pull (I haven't really pulled any sets since circa 1994), I just didn't see the point of doing 200's when I have a 50 free coming up this next weekend.

I did bust my choppers on the kick at the end, hooray! That is a strong set to actually descend-no-matter-what on the last ones to under 50.

Next up:
    A really lose-sleep, high anxiety rest of the week at work. Then my cameo 50 free on Sunday! After that, i'll decide what to swim at our DAMM meet. I currently have the #1 time in SCM 50 free, but i'd be surprised if it held up. Do I care? Not sure. Probably not. I'm too busy losing sleep and getting headaches over my work.
  12. Briefly back to blogging....and a little swimming

by , November 1st, 2011 at 08:53 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Hey everybody!

I have been so busy that I haven't had much time to swim, much less blog!

Last week recap:
    I swam 2 days on my own, about 25 minutes
    And 1 day with the team on Friday

SCM, Baylor noon workout

Main set:

Round 1: everybody with fins
    4 x 50 kick on 45
    4 x 50 swim on 40
    easy 100
    fast 100 1:07 (right flipper fell off but I kept on going!)

Round 2: no fins
    4 x 50 kick on 1:00
    4 x 50 swim on 40
    easy 100
    fast 100 1:08

Not bad if I do say so myself!

This set is much harder than it looks, it you do it "right". By that I mean really work the kick. Swimming ain't so easy after gut busting 4 x 50 kicks!

This week:
    Light vasa on Sat;
    Easy 25 minute swim on Sun;
    Mon - swim with the team!

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center noon

300 warm up

8 x 75 kick on 1:30
    I did these pretty hard;

8 x 150 pull on 2:20
    ==>that would be a serious no.
    evens: 100 pull smooth
    odds: 75 strong descend fly 59 55 54 55

15 x 50 on 1:00
    12.5 kick UW; 12.5 fast through the turn
    easy back
    YES, this is my kind of set!

So this is the wind-down of my liquidating trustee additional job, and then I nearly fell out of my chair when I got another special gig. It's great margin business, and should end by 01/15/12, but that means i'm on the 2 x 25 minute swim and 1 real workout with my masters team per week. Well, that's life! I see plenty of people every month who can't get a job, so I really can't complain that in my mid-40's, I am now on the short list of requested examiners/receiver/trustee appointments.

Halloween was ok. I was really tired but did my usual - stay at home and eat candy that we aren't handing out whilst pretending not to be at home. I finished Sudoku #383! And no, I don't cheat!!! Then I hoisted myself up to help the girls sort their booty when they got home. This year was very heavy on the Butterfingers. Oddly missing non-chocolate chewy and sour items. But at least they didn't get expired religous jelly beans like last year. Yuck!

Next up: hopefully a real practice where there's no garbage yardage, lots of fast kicking, all my favorite lane mates, and I get to lead and no one drafts off of me.
  13. Sunday sprint on my own

by , October 23rd, 2011 at 08:52 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I swam on my own today, to get in certain things I knew would be difficult with a one-practice-fits-all workout.

This AM
    "2/3 vasa day"
    a little lite drylands

Monthly massage at Massage Envy

Then Baylor Fitness Center, SCM

400 warm up

200 kick
    8 x25's sprint kick with fins; various

200 pull
    8 x 25 pull sprint

4 x 50 swim emph turn + breakout
    8 x 25 swim
    1-4 sprint
    5-8 sprint with fins

Easy swim

The End

I had my heart set on this sprinty round of 3 today. It has been a long time since pulling and it's fun!

When I swim by myself, I have better focus because I already know the main set to do. I will likely swim more on my own for the next bit coming up, and try to swim on Tues/Thurs with the team for a general stroke-centric workout.

Took Saturday off.

I did manage to swim at noon on Friday, but was quite disgusted with the set and not being able to move anywhere to do my own thing.

The first kick set was good;
    4 x 100's
    8 x 50 every other all out

But then the set was

(twice through)
    4 x 150's on 2:20
    easy 100/fast 50
    easy 50/fast 100
    fast 150

And here are DAMM's golden rules for fast sets:
    1. Lane leader picks an interval too fast for the lane, and gets out before the end of the set;
    2. 2/3rds of the lane do not belong in the lane and don't make the interval.

It is ridiculous. I wish the coaches would NOT give these kinds of sets when it is so crowded! You simply can't do more than 50's when a 5 second interval puts the last person going on the +25.

So the issue I had with this set is that I don't think it will make me faster in my 50 free. While 2:20 is an easy interval, there is not enough rest to get any real speed work. And I just did the full 5 x 100's on 1:30 as my gratuitous garbage yardage of the week the set right before this one, grrr!

So, after that, I decided that swimming around people wasn't worth the trade-off with the social aspect. I can see everyone on Tues or Thurs.

This weekend I made apple struedel and sweet potato casserole. Yum!

I am over my couponing fix. It's just too much work and I fell off the bandwagon while my parents were here. And last, after stocking up on tampons, Baylor now gives tampons and pads for free!!
  14. Two days in a row!

by , October 19th, 2011 at 05:51 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    HOORAY again!

Actually, I was motived to get my work done and swim b/c Bobby said he'd let me try his fins, but he forgot them. And no, my feet aren't that big! Not that I have Cinderella feet either.

Jim Montgomery coached

300 warm up
    200 kick

Transition set:
    8 x 50's stroke/free (fly/back) on :55

Main Set:
    5 x 75's on 1:00
    easy 125

Set 1 swim
    Set 2 pull
    Set 3 choice of equipment

===== need I even say it? ====> no.

Perhaps if this was a rare day that I wanted to test my endurance/conditioning, and I liked the mix of people in the lane, then perhaps I would have made the effort. But, I was intent on getting in just a few REAL all out efforts, not swim into the hour long oblivion of efficiency-85%.

The lanes were also really crowded, the worst kind of crowd: Those Who Do Not Frequent Noon Workout. And then, it's like, 3/4 of the lane are Lane 1 people who really aren't Lane 1 people on a combined basis.

So I completely bailed, sharing a lane with Those Who Swim at Noon but Aren't on Swim Team.

With the same interval:

75 strong 2:00
    50 stronger! 2:00
    25 blast-o!!!!!!! no interval
    easy 125

Set 1: Swim first set
    Set 2: Swim with fins
    Set 3: swim regular

8 x 50 kick on 1:15
    rotate fast 12.5
    1-4 with board
    5-8 fins on back

Easy swims, about 200 total

The End

I have nothing else to add, except I was really glad Bobby gave me this customized set instead of the main set. I think 3 all out 25's and adding a kick set at the end will benefit my 50 free more than the set as given. I almost did 5 x 25's to each set, but in the end sometimes 3 really is just the right number.

Tomorrow: Mandatory day off. That's enough swimming for me these 2 days.
  15. I did get to swim yesterday!!

by , October 19th, 2011 at 10:37 AM (Chowmi's Blog)

I was able to make the workout yesterday!!

350 warm up

12 x 50 on :55
    IM stroke/free (3 rounds)

Kick Set!!!
    100 easy on 2:30
    4 x 25 FAST on :40

Main IM Set:
    8 x 100 on 1:45/1:30
    IM odd/easy free

==>no. my lane was 3 pulling freestlyers so they did all 8 on 1:25. so I did:

Odd: rotating 50 fly/50 free as
    1 50 fly/50 free
    3 25 free/50 fly/25 free
    5, 7 50 free/50 fly
    attempt to hold near 100 free time
    all evens were 50 easy recovery

Misc. Pull set:
    3 x 200 on fast past

various fin stuff - kick on back, tummy, swim with fins approx 500 total.

The End

TOTALLY AWESOME! Kick set was great and the fly set was just what I wanted to do today. I asked Bobby what I should be working on when swimming with fins. I think I will get new short-short fins and swim with them more often. He also said he is telling his coaching troops to add more kick, like 800 per workout, and went into a big long discussion of the importance of kick for all swimmers, not just racers. Yahoo!!!!

Next meet in not until

11/11-13/2011 Local A meet

This meet will be interesting because it's rare that I will swim the afternoon session. This could be really good; will be nice to have the ol' bones all awake for the day!

The meet after that is our DAMM meet:

Not sure what I will enter. Themes are 4 x 50 frees, 4 x 50 strokes, or 50 free/50 fly combos. I am leaning towards entering the 50/100/200/400 free and doing 4 x 50 frees. That would be a great "workout"; the meet will be about an hour from the first 50 free to the last.
  16. Hardly swimming..not this week either!

by , October 17th, 2011 at 03:09 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I suppose I should be thankful for all the work and existing case load. But between my parents visiting and the crush of work, I did not swim last week except for 20 minutes one day and about 25 minutes another. I did my vasa yesterday.

This week I don't think I will make more than one workout, and will likely just swim during the girls' program if there is space or do a few days of my vasa again.

Well, here's a combo of my weenie workouts. Notice I space it out so it look like I did more.

500 swim

8 x 25 kick with fins, vary back/side/belly

New! 4 x 50 pull with paddles and a pull buoy

Various 25's variables and/or % builds

4 x 25's through the turn

4 x 50's
    1st 25 on 20 sec (about 3 sec rest)
    2nd 25 blast to 1/2 way and up to the flags

Easy kick with board

Several dives plus breakouts to about 1/2 way

20-25 minutes total

The End

My parents' visit was fun. Hopefully they will visit us once a year from now on. I just have to make sure to accumulate enough AA miles so they can come first class every year!

We spend the entire time at various Chinatowns, Sam's, and Costco's. 25 minutes in the snack/cracker aisle. My mom says, "I don't get a chance to shop at the Asian store in Pittsburgh." Dad says, "Your mom always vetos everything I buy in Pittsburgh". Needless to say, they went home armed with 3 bags of Chinese snack foods. I guess they just need a neutral party that will allow them to buy buy buy!

Another highlight of the week was finding a buy 2 get one free coupon for Mr. Clean products.

I see no reason that this will affect my race speed. In fact, there's a 50/50 chance I will improve just from the "rest"!
  17. SCY meet, 10/09/11

by , October 9th, 2011 at 08:59 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Ok, i'm back! Have been super duper busy and let's see...if I recall I last swam on Thursday, and i've been crazy busy with other stuff since!

50 free
    1st USA "A" meet o' the season:

I wouldn't say it was a bad swim, pretty good considering I wasn't feeling a bit rested at all, but I certainly can improve on my turn/breakout. The pool wasn't so bad at all! Really weird lack of stands so the parents were sitting with the kids. That was actually quite creepy. I sat with the coaches.

This pool is right across from where I have my Creditors Meetings! I never knew it!!!

My parents are coming to visit! I have been busy cleaning the house. Really cleaning! Moved furniture and vacuumed behind everything. That certainly doesn't help a sprint, but, life goes on and I have no wiggle room (mediation tomorrow, quarterly reports on Tues, and parents fly in on Wed!) so I had to clean the house yesterday and today.

That Magic Eraser thing really IS magic!!

I hung a window curtain all by myself. You can't even tell it's crooked! And extra drill holes in the wall? No one's going to be standing that high either.

How could I have missed this movie???!!!

The Human Centipede

and now

The Human Centipede 2

I really want to see it! I'm a big fan of any type of horror film, from the classics to the newer shock value Saw-type movies. I just haven't had time to go to the movies, and of course none of my friends are keen on these either.

Next up:
    I'll try to swim on Tuesday, but it depends. I still have to mop the downstairs, and find something else to Magic Erase. I can certainly see how stay-at-home moms can stay busy all the time. Once you Magic Erase the banister, light switches, and high traffic wall areas, then the next spot looks like crap and you are on an endless cycle of Magic Erasing. And don't even get me started on noticing the curtains (or lack thereof) in my house! That is like tackling another sport! I think i'll stay with my dusty 80's blinds, complete with permanent kinks and bends in them from Two Who Shall Continue to Remain Unnamed.
  18. Great DAMM Sprinty Workout, 10/06/11

by , October 6th, 2011 at 04:44 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Today's was a great workout! Sets just up my alley AND I got people to race!

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center noon workout
    Billy Glastetter coached

200ish warm up (got in late)

Transition set:
    12 x 50 on 1 min
    kick odds/drill evens mix strokes

3 Part Main set:

SET ONE:
    Build a 100 IM on the :30 base
    25 fly
    50 fly/back
    75 fly/ba/br
    100 IM
    ==> I did these all fly
    300 easy
    ==> something less than that

SET TWO:
    UN-build a 100 IM on the :30 base
    100 IM backwards
    75 br/ba/fly
    50 ba/fly
    25 fly
    ==>yes! too much fun to miss out!
    300 easy
    ==>some bits.

One more time build 100 IM on the :30 base
    ==> kick on back with fins;
    300 easy
    ==> 100 for me.

The End

What fun! I didn't feel very strong, being very sore and tired from those lunges and the swim cord, and then nutritionally unbalanced from my State Fair of Texas Corny Dog/Belgium Waffle (with Whipped Cream, Strawberries, and Powdered Sugar)/Fried Smores dinner. I stayed for 1/2 of the Dallas Summer Musical (West Side Story) and totally made our seat-mates happy by telling them we are not renewing next year (I think this was our 8th year!). She's been eyeing our seats for her collection. They have almost 2 entire rows and so they wanted our coveted Seats With No Row in Front. Excellent leg room. Hard to give them up, but next year's line up sucked so much that i'd rather just buy tix for the one show we might go to.

Next up: Swim meet on Sunday. I hear it's a crappy pool but that won't deter me. Fast swimmers still swim fast in crappy pools.

And just 'cause Speed asked so nicely, some thoughts on training to drop .2 seconds in the 50 free:

I find it hard to every "train" 100%. Partly because I can never FULLY recover. It is simply the time of my life where my energy is on work and the kids, so swimming to stay in shape is excellent, but training has been very, very difficult. How should I be training to get faster in a race, given such limiting parameters?

One thing Bobby suggested was to really focus on ONE great workout a week. In some ways, it's easier for distance swimmers (he used himself as an example training for Hawaii swims), because they can come in any day and do a set of 100's on an interval, holding xxx pace, adjusting reps, interval, and pace to suit that day. But for me, picking THAT day, THAT set, and really hammering it is going to be the key.
  19. Too tired! Need to fine tune it!

by , October 5th, 2011 at 11:15 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Yesterday I swam on my own. I was determined to get in a few sets*** which I can't do with the team around.

Baylor Fitness Center
    on my own; before noon workout

400 warm up

Chowmi's "conditioning" set 'o the day:
    4 x 50's on the 45 free
    4 x 50's on the 50/55 IM stroke/free

***Enough of that, so now, let's get to the meaty bits!

8 x 25 UW with fins
    odd on back; even fly/free on tummy

4 x 25's with fins
    100% legs, increase % arms

***4 x 25 with swim cord
    return as 12.5 fast back/easy
    (Needed the entire lane)

6 x 25's
    1, 3 from dive 1/2 fast
    2, 4, 5 easy
    6 fast with fins

Easy 50 bits in between sets

Bonus: 30 minutes talked with coach Bobby, who wasn't coaching and didn't really feel like swimming. Re: Getting to 23.99/Main themes: easiest pickins for .2 seconds and targeted sets, approaches to workouts, and recovery, game plan for each swim meet thru December.

The End

RE: 25 UW on back???? I don't have trouble holding my breath, but I can't seem to regulate the air-blowing-out-the-nose and head position on the back???? It is so distracting I know it slows me down. Also, to avoid hand-crashing and pre-arthritic-hand-saving, I have to come up and stop short of the wall. I think I need a nose clip. I had one. It was clear. The case is in my dresser. And that stupid clear clip is...drumroll please on the joke, probably right in front of my nose....mocking me in all it's clearness.

I was actually too tired yesterday. And very tight. I did leg lunges on the lunge slide in the gym yesterday, and a fast circuit of test-your-strength on various equipment for fun. Like, do 3 pull ups, 5 dips, and leg machine exercises then repeat quickly (or rather, when the machines opened up). It was fun, and very rewarding to note that:

However, that was 2 days of drylands so I was more tired than I "should" have been to really attack the cords, which was my main focus.

I'm going to start really targeting ONE workout a week where I get in the MAIN training swim set. Really hit it hard.

1. Cords

2. The "4 x 100's": I talked about there before; like 100 straight, 4 x 25's broken 5-10 secs, at race pace

3. "Conditioning set" 4 x 50's on 45, 40, 37.5, 35 challenge and continue fast even if you miss interval.

4. "The back half 50": This is a critical training set for me. Do x number of 50's on 1:15 or more. Split as 20 secs on 1st 25, then SPRINT 20 meters (or vary the distance). The key is that you aren't going easy on the 1st 25. You have to work it, and then still bring it home on the 2nd 25. Anyone can do a 25 fast. You don't even have to be in shape and still go about the same speed. BUT 1 TO 1.5 SECONDS DURING THE END OF THE 2ND 25 IS ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL. For me, it's a critical component between going 23.99 and 24 low. How many times have you heard someone tell you...."You were heading for xxxx until you reached the flags!"

So in the next weeks, I want to get in #4 set and #3 set, then reconsider sets.

The party was a huge hit. It was great to see everyone.
  20. Dive Sunday!

by , October 2nd, 2011 at 01:07 PM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Alas, the Sunday Sprint/Distance split is now off until the Spring. I don't know why, except perhaps because they only have one coach on deck. So it's mostly Stuff I Don't Do workouts. I went anyway, hoping the diving well would be clear.

SMU, Sunday LCM
    Lianna McStravick coached

600 warm up

12 x 50 kick on 1 min
    no fins

400 pull
    ==>no, 300 fins kick on all sides

Main Set
    50 fast
    100 easy
    150 fast
    200 easy
    repeat 200 and come back down
    I did many dives from the blocks and running dives into the diving well. It was awesome. The set was pretty boring so by the end Lianna was essentially working with me one on one in the dive well and big pool on each dive.

I didn't bother counting how many I did, just made sure to rest before each one and start punchy rather than trying to count or rush up to do another one. I probably did 10 maybe 12 in total.

I made sure to take in every word Lianna was saying and her feedback. You don't get these one-on-one chances very often, and on such an important part of my race!

This turned out great for me today. 1/3 of my race will be that dive, so might as well take advantage of SMU's diving well and blocks, even if I had to swim around everyone else. I am convinced this day will help more than if I did the set as proscribed.

Today I will also do my Vasa and some drylands at home. Baylor Fitness Center doesn't open until 12:30, too late and cuts into the day.

We have our office party tonight. The food looks good! I just hope everyone has a good time.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast