View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Michelle's blog on swimming and other fun stuff!

My USMS info:
My team: Dallas Aquatic Masters
www.damswim.com
http://www.usms.org/people/02gam

My USA info:
My team: Dallas Mustangs
www.dmswim.com
www.ntswim.org
http://www.usaswimming.org/USASModul...d-b89e809716fa

1. This week's main set updates

by , October 28th, 2012 at 10:35 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Busy all week with work and other non-blogging stuff, heh heh. Here's a brief update on what I did:

When in doubt, it was probably easy swim, drill, or hanging on the wall telling the coach I was doing easy swim or drills instead of the main set.

SCM Main sets:
    2 "fast" days Tue & Fri:

Tues:
    4 times through:
    150 IM FAST 2:30 fly/back/br
    100 easy swim 2:00

so essentially you are doing a fast 150 IM every 4:30

2:11 2:11 2:10 2:10

wow did these hurt like I haven't hurt in years. It's a big difference from 100 IMs or 75ims!!! the rest was short for all outtedness. i would rather have done 2 x 100 easy on 2:00 and gone fast every 6:30.

Friday:
    12 x 25's on :35 various
    easy stuff
    6 x 50 2 fast, 1 easy
    I did them as fly/back and br/free
    34/38 and 35/27 or 1:12 combined

1 x 75 all out
    I did 75 IM fly/back/br :56

This was better. Lots of bursty sprints in there.

The End
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I have decided that an hour of P90X is just too long if I am also swimming and trying to have good speed days. Plyo X and a few others are very good to do exactly 1/2, since there are 2 rounds. Plus, I am done in about 45 minutes, with an 8 min warmup, about 20 min of meat workout, and then cooldown/misc stretches.

Next up:
    I still haven't decided on events for our local SCM meet. I do feel compelled to swim the 100 IM after so much IM'ing this fall. I may do the 200 back and 100 IM. The meet starts really early and I don't like to be swimming my first event at 8:15am. Yuck!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. One frustration after another

by , October 20th, 2012 at 09:09 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    Moving on from the omniconsuming grade rumination post, I now have a new pet peeve/quest. This is the 2nd time in a row when Golden Coral never replaced the sweet potatoes during our visit. What a bummer. It was a scraped out pan with marshmallow remnants on the sides. I never even got a bite. The carrot mash next to it was and always is virtually untouched. If they put a heap of marshmallows on it, that would be a completely acceptable substitute.

Thurs' IM day
    SCM

300 warm up

8 x 50 rotate IM

Main set early, just for me, thanks coach!
    Two times through:

3 x 75's on 1:30
    rotate IM order
    50 fly/25 back
    50 back/25 breast
    50 breast/25 free

100 IM FAST

25 easy

1:16, 1:15

This ties my best in-practice 100 IM at 1:15. And even nicer, I could goof off the entire rest of workout....

6 x 150 pull
    ===>no. I did 2 x 50 with short fins to every 150.

6x 50 on 1:00 stroke
    not sure what this set was suppose to be. I wasn't listening, and when I finally decided what I wanted to do, everyone was kicking, pulling, stroking, freestyling, or getting out. There wasn't a unified theme at all. Like the UN of do-what-you-want. Maybe getting out was most popular. Well, I tried to do 2 x fast back, 2 easy, 2 fast back, but I was pretty pooped out and went 38-39's.

+++++++++++++++++++++
    IMS:The key is the breast. That's my worst stroke, and so I tried to work every turn and sprint the breast, where arguably the most time is lost.

Why do I swim with short fins (TYR Burners) so slow? I don't go any faster than without, and in fact, I have to work harder to go the same speed. My lungs are about ready to burst, and I can't use my arms that much except in an all-out sprint. Does that mean that I have weak core and simply need to condition myself up to it? I could not do those straight 150's and had to take a mini break within each one. I was getting a little better by #4 and going 32-33, so maybe it's just getting use to the subtle change in timing as well.

Next up: I am not motivated to swim in meets at all right now. My next meet is going to be the DAMM meet and I don't know what I want to swim. The good thing is entries aren't due until that Wed before.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Recovery days and other musings

by , October 18th, 2012 at 11:21 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I usually don't post my recovery days, but since my "training" is so unusual, I thought i'd give those who might like to see what I really do on MY recovery days.

I do think getting in for even a short swim is very beneficial. Not only do I still get a great shower & not have to use my own towels at home, but even very modest yardarge and time helps set me up for the next "real" workout.

Yesterday:

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center

300 warm up
    4 x 50 swim with short fins
    4 x 25 back/free
    50 easy

The End.

Later.....30 minutes of yoga. This is short for "yoga inspired stretching and yoga-like poses".

Emphasis is on not getting tired out. Thinking about how going "easy" today will set me up for an explosive tomorrow.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The World According to Chowmi: Talking with teachers. The girls' school is very strict with late/missing assignments. I won't go into all the rules, but essentially you get major grade reductions if you turn in late work or missing work. My older daughter had a very unsual case - where it was truly teacher error. She did turn in her work, but the teacher said it was missing and she would get a zero. This is devastating, if you think about it! Anyway, the teacher actually had it in her stack, and it was marked with a 100. She said she'd correct it and enter the grade. It wasn't. Daughter asked her again, and she corrected it on the spot, in class, on the computer. It still was not reflected in parent portal. Apparently, it didn't save! Long story short, grades come out and it wasn't reflected. I talked to the teacher about it. Teacher said she would fix it. Ok, like i've heard that before. But now we are at your mercy to fix it. And it needs principal approval, etc. Very annoying. I don't know what else to do. I then sent an email reminder to the teacher and printed it out and put it in her mailbox. Here is the exact text!

Ms. XXX,

Thank you for taking the time to correct Claire's final grade due to the inputting error for the missing assignment grade. I appreciate your consideration. I should have also checked with you when it did not update after Claire told me she watched you perform the change in class last week. Could you tell me what her adjusted grade will be?

And also thank you for feedback on Claire's in-class behavior and constructive comments. Last period is tough to stay disciplined and i'll make an effort to remind her to focus on her work, not talk unnecessarily/socially, and to strive to continue consistency in your class.

Thank you again,

Claire's mom

I must say, I am a model of diplomacy and tact, if I do say so myself. The initial reaction when I saw the report....just image Yosemite Sam! Worst case is she changes her mind and doesn't change the grade. And by the way, the current grade is an 88, but should have been 95-96. Question, dear blog readers, what should I do - let it go or not? On one hand, getting a B in the 6th grades means very little. It is a great life lesson that sometimes, yes, you do get screwed, and guess what, even mom and dad can't fix it for you even though you were right, and yes, it's not fair. On the other hand, making A honor roll is VERY VERY difficult. And my daughters have made high honor roll each year (straight A's for the entire year). So this is very important to them, and to me. And let's face it, I think it's entirely ok to say it's about me, too!

The World According to Chowmi: in response to Lance Armstrong/drugs in general: I really don't care about the Lance thing. Just more noise in my already busy life. See immediate paragraph above for the most pressing issue in the forefront of my mind. Drugs. Let's see. As my husband says, they do a have a side effect - greatness! Actually, it's not on principle that I wouldn't take drugs. It's that they have no practical purpose for me. (This is sort of a joke as well.) If drugs either help you train longer, get strong, or recover faster, those aren't what I am looking for. I don't need to recover faster. I can skip workout, or see very beginning of post - that seems so skelatal, who needs to recover any faster than that? Do I want to train longer? That would be no. Do I want to actually have to work harder, lift more? Ditto no. I would like the drug where you can swallow it, or even better, it's like a sweet Flinstone chewable or gummy vitamin. Then I don't have to train or do anything, increasing the amount of time to be a helicopter parent, or watch more TV. Then enter meets and swim sensational. That's the drug I want! I wonder if Speedo agrees with me. And last, the drugs that might actually help you go totally crazy fast in a race are illegal, addictive, and nonspecific. I really would not do those kinds of drugs! If I took some illegal drug, I may swim faster, but it's more likely i'd never make it to the pool as I go racing down the highway on foot screaming that there are bugs under my skin.

++++++++++++++++++
    Next up:
    Playground monitoring today! And then it's off to a workout, IM day!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Boo hoo! Bad 50 free!

by , October 15th, 2012 at 09:58 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    It is rare I a have a bad swim; here it is:

25.41 SCY

What happenned???!!!!

Actually, it is one of those swims that is going to happen every so many hundred races. I totally slipped on the blocks! It was one of those, oh crap, am I going to clear my back foot off the front of the block???!!!! And then an embarrassing spruce goose smacking landing. Actually, I had a good swim part, even though I lost the entire best 15 yards of the race (off the blocks and first 12.5 yards) and had to basically creep back up from everyone's knees to gut my way to a 4th in the heat. So the bad was that there is no way to recover from that poor a start. But the good is that I didn't hurt myself and I still executed the swim bits pretty good - I didn't panic and I didn't give up. Still kept to the 1/1 breathing and strong finish to eek in competitively with my heat. Overall, i'm still glad I went; I was not in the mood to even go to the meet but went because it has been awhile since I raced.

So, what can I do? Well, nothing really. That was really fluky. I think my timing was ever so slightly off - I think I tried too hard to get off the block with my front foot too soon, and thus left the back one "behind", and that is why it slipped, and why I couldn't salvage the dive with my front leg, because it had taken off too soon. So just a bit more emphasis with making sure the sequence is well-timed.

Next up:
    Not sure. Most likely a local A meet so that I don't have to travel. Not my favorite order of events, and I may end up doing a 100 event - whatever is the most convenient in the order of events. I'd like to keep it short and in/out in 3 hours or less roundtrip.

Alterations to training? Not really. I'll probably continue with what I have been doing and doing very sprinty bits with very modified in between stuff. I don't think I need to do more or less, just to stay as consistent as possible with what I have been doing.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. A day of 50 frees

by , October 1st, 2012 at 11:32 AM (Chowmi's Blog)
    I've been IMming so much lately that I had to take a day and specifically do fast 50 frees from a dive.

Sat - I cleaned the house! That was so tiring. In fact, I marked it down in my drylands column. I thought doing drylands after that would be counterproductive. And who's to say that rubbing your arms up and down in a cleaning pattern while swaying your butt side to side isn't as good as traditional core/curl/lifting?

Sun - SCM, Baylor Fitness Center on my own.

500 warm up

4 x 50 kick
    4 x 50 pull
    100 easy

4 x 25 % increases
    4 x 25 variables

FAST 50 FROM A DIVE: 30
    200 easy

FAST 50 FROM A DIVE: 29
    200 easy

FAST 50 FROM A DIVE: 29
    200 easy
    50 easy

Ok! That was quite good! I was very pleased that I was solidy under 30, but then, one is never satisfied and wondering now what it will take to get to 28's in workout. It is also very irksome that I have to start myself. So I have been waiting to the 7 and on the 7 count 1, 2, 3, Go (so going on 4, not on 3), which if counted just right, i'm leaving on the 00 mark. It is quite distracting, up there with walking and chewing gum. Well, that's actually not very hard, so more like rubbing your tummy and patting your head.

If I were to race today, i'd be really disappointed if I wasn't faster than 27.5 SCM in a race. That's better than my recent times, but I do think i've been more focused on actually sprinting into elusive speed territory that I should set my goals this high.

+++++++++++++++++++++
    Not sure about meets. I think I will wait until after the first USA meet (50 free/100 fly) to decide what I want to do as far as SCM meets. There is one in the Woodlands (about 3+ hours drive) at a good pool, great order of events, but it's a very small meet so limits what is realistic to swim and get times close to my max potential.

++++++++++++++++++++
    In other news, not sure how I really feel about it except wow, i'd better start really committing myself if this is my goal....the USA grand prix cuts have come out. They are making a statement and no longer is it easy to make the cuts!! As of now, i'm limited to only local A meets and maybe Sectionals depending on the cuts, which I think won't change too much.

http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/...ds_9-25-12.pdf
    Categories
    Uncategorized