View RSS Feed

Planning

Goals, Periodization, Lessons Learned

1. In the Hot Seat

by , October 19th, 2009 at 12:22 AM (Meet Director's Path to Tranquility)
    September 20
    Board of Directors Meeting.

The board requested that I take the meet directorship again for the 2010 meet. Admittedly in some ways, I would like the job again. There is a satisfaction at running a successful meet where many swimmers enjoy the meet, express gratitude and a desire to return, and do so the next year. And maybe I am afraid that someone else will screw things up, discouraging swimmers from returning again.

But on the other hand, I would like to swim in the meet as a participant. I found it mentally and physically difficult to do so a few years ago when I tried.

As meet director, I signed up to swim the breaststroke events. All three races were disasters, with the 200 breast race the worst. I was unable to do a pullout at the last turn, having run out of steam, even though there was plenty at the pool. . .

This was the year the water temperature clocked in at a tropical 88 degrees. I like to blame my poor races on the water temperature. But it was also mentally hard to run around the event ensuring things were running correctly, and then jump into the hot water warmup lane, loosen up, and swim a race. I decided to give up trying to swim and direct at the same meet.

The pool manager was told in no uncertain terms that if the water ended up this way again for our meet, we would rent another pool. One thing that Fairfax County pool managers hate more than the seniors complaining about the cold water temperature is the loss of revenue. Since then, that manager has moved on, and new managers for the subsequent meets have been very cooperative and working with us to solve problems (like the water temperature.)

BOOK OF WISDOM
    Only Superman and Wonder Woman can swim in the same meet they are managing.

Updated October 21st, 2009 at 01:07 AM by Rnovitske (color)

Categories
    Planning