Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by jroddin
    First I will guess it was a long time ago you had the issue at the Albatross. Ever since I've been doing entries we've bent over backwards to accommodate swimmers.
    Yes, it was somewhere around 1998-2002 time period, and you were not the meet director.
    somehow ended up with a 0:25 time in the 50-free. This is what
    That is nice that you rechecked the results before sending them to the TT recorder. I wish that local meet directors would recheck this.
    Thanks for providing your perspective! I have enjoyed reading.
    Good job Ray, enjoy your next 10 months of peace. I doubt you will see full retirement
    And a thank you to you.
    Good job!

A thumb from Pittsburgh in the decidedly upwards direction for your superb labors!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnovitske
    I am glad that other LMSC's don't follow all the rules and get away with it. Why?...

Our pool used for the Tropical Splash does not meet one of the required facility standards in the rule book. I pointed this out to our first original sanction person, Ms. Margot, and was told it's OK- the requirement is a bit anal, is not a safety concern, and forcing us to comply in some way would mean confusion at the meet. If we had to comply, we probably would not be holding the meet (Ms. Margot pointed out that there are few hosts for meets in Potomac Valley as it is.)

Our starting blocks are numbered left to right. Why this is a facility requirement for all meets is beyond me. I would think that numbering them would be sufficient.
    Find out who is on the rules committee and ask them to change the rule from right to left to "in series". But really, you are in compliance. You just count from the other end of the pool than normal, right?
    Then a submission to the USMS Meet Database and our LMSC site was kicked out.
    What I mean is that the submission was kicked out the door - it was completed. I did not mean to infer that it was rejected.
    I am glad that other LMSC's don't follow all the rules and get away with it. Why?...

Our pool used for the Tropical Splash does not meet one of the required facility standards in the rule book. I pointed this out to our first original sanction person, Ms. Margot, and was told it's OK- the requirement is a bit anal, is not a safety concern, and forcing us to comply in some way would mean confusion at the meet. If we had to comply, we probably would not be holding the meet (Ms. Margot pointed out that there are few hosts for meets in Potomac Valley as it is.)

Our starting blocks are numbered left to right. Why this is a facility requirement for all meets is beyond me. I would think that numbering them would be sufficient.
    Please note you posted a link to your results on the USMS site - the times don't actually go into the USMS database until you submit your export file (e.g. commlink, SD3, Hytek, etc.). BTW I can help you with the upload once you have the file.
    Yes, understood. The link to our results was all that was submitted at this point. Once the times are in the proper hytek format, they will be sent to you (Mr. Top 10) for the USMS Top 10 and the Times database.

My intent wasn't to pick on you. I was just suggesting we follow the USMS rulebook. And just because other LMSCs don't do it, doesn't mean we don't have to either.
    And here I thought you were picking on me.
    Then a submission to the USMS Meet Database and our LMSC site was kicked out.
    Please note you posted a link to your results on the USMS site - the times don't actually go into the USMS database until you submit your export file (e.g. commlink, SD3, Hytek, etc.). BTW I can help you with the upload once you have the file.

J-Rod contacted me to say my online results did not contain the officials' names and certifications.
    My intent wasn't to pick on you. I was just suggesting we follow the USMS rulebook. And just because other LMSCs don't do it, doesn't mean we don't have to either.
    Thanks for the weather update. Argh -- I have high school meets on Friday and Sat. night. Hope it's clear for your meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Do you take split requests? How does that work without electronic timing? Does the swimmer provide 3 timers?
    If I think I understand your question: according to the rule book, a split can be counted as an official time only if electronic timing is used. Since we need to use manual timing at GW pool, requests for split times are not possible.

However, if you want 50 splits during your race for your own tracking, we could arrange a timer to note them for you - let us know ahead of time. I believe that the official 3 watches on your swim are not allowed to take splits (but I need to verify that - anyone know?)

(Maybe I can write about you in the 'special requests' post of next year's blog.)
    Do you take split requests? How does that work without electronic timing? Does the swimmer provide 3 timers?
    This sounds like its going to be such a fun meet--good music, fabulous prizes, plus first-rate organization. I wished I lived nearer so that I could come!
    I don't have enough strength/power for a decent 50 fly and I seem to fade at the end of the 100 fly. Can you create a 75 fly for me?

I would very much prefer to do a 150 IM where there is no breastroke leg. Can you please do that?

Just kidding. I enjoyed reading your strange requests. I've certainly gotten them at the Albatross but never quite like the one from the New Mexico guy!
    My target event is the 200 free, but I don't like where it falls in the meet. Can you create an earlier 200 free so I can take a shot at it fresh, and then have a second shot at it later in the meet?
    Oops. . . add about 10 minutes to that. We have an additional heat in the 500 this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnovitske
    Last year's projected timeline break was at 10:57, the year before 10:58. We usually follow the timeline fairly closely for the first half, a bit faster for the second.
    Hope you can make it.
    Thanks! I'm going to try to make the second half.
    Last year's projected timeline break was at 10:57, the year before 10:58. We usually follow the timeline fairly closely for the first half, a bit faster for the second.
    Hope you can make it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast