Blog Comments

My team isn't practicing on the Friday after T-day, so I decided to look up the old Turducken to do on my own at the Y.....It's a holiday tradition!
    happy days!

gigi
    Quote Originally Posted by slknight
    I could handle 55 in the fall when I've been in our cold water all season. But I'm not sure about going from an 82-degree pool to 55, kwim? I'm also going to Hawaii right before that, so that might be quite a temperature shock.
    I see your dilemma. It will be a tough race to acclimate for, even for those of us around here. Maybe the temp will be higher than I think though? It's worth keeping our fingers crossed. And if I don't see you in CT, maybe 2Bridges?

Hawaii!! I know you'll have a great time there!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    So I'm expecting something between 50 and 55--I would be surprised (and a little worried about swimming that far) if it's below 50 by then, but not shocked if some warmer weather pushes it up to nearer 60.
    !
    I could handle 55 in the fall when I've been in our cold water all season. But I'm not sure about going from an 82-degree pool to 55, kwim? I'm also going to Hawaii right before that, so that might be quite a temperature shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by slknight
    What do you think the temp for the CT race will be? I was considering going, especially since I loved their race last fall, but I think it's going to be too cold for me for 5 miles. I'm not going to be acclimated by then.
    I've been wondering about that too. I think the temps at Brighton and in the that part of the LI sound follow pretty similar tracks. Both last year and this year, the temp broke 40 here the first weekend in April. Last year, the temp here was 53 the first weekend in May. So I'm expecting something between 50 and 55--I would be surprised (and a little worried about swimming that far) if it's below 50 by then, but not shocked if some warmer weather pushes it up to nearer 60.

I'm thinking there will be plenty of chatter on the FB page about water temps as the date gets closer. If I'm remembering right, the sign-up deadline is pretty close to the event date, so you can always hold the date clear but wait and see how things are trending before you commit. I'd love to see you there again!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I would love to see that "pool."
    Ooh, I have wish granting power today! Here's a video from this year's Finland competition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOjq...=1&app=desktop

And this might be the one jpetyk is referring to--it's from last year's Murmansk competition. It's cool watching them remove those big chunks of ice from the lake to make the pool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCBG...=1&app=desktop
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Any amount of meters more than zero in 42F is crazy ... I cannot imagine winter swimming championships.
    On the crazy front--ice miles have also become a big thing. Swimming a mile in 5C/41F or under gets you into the club. Have to say I'm not tempted by that one!
    What do you think the temp for the CT race will be? I was considering going, especially since I loved their race last fall, but I think it's going to be too cold for me for 5 miles. I'm not going to be acclimated by then.
    Google the winter swimming champs there is a cool video of how they prep the site. A fellow from Pittsburgh was also there representing USA this year. It was fun to see the pictures he posted. The prep work is amazing as they chainsaw the ice out of the river!
    The winter swimming championships sound both fun and terrifying. I would love to see that "pool."
    Any amount of meters more than zero in 42F is crazy ... I cannot imagine winter swimming championships.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    That sounds fantastic, but cold! Maybe some time when you are in PCB I can come over and you can teach me the ropes of open water.
    That would be so fun! Let's definitely do that next winter!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    What a great story! I love how you're able to take it all in as you go. It amazes me how many OW swimmers there are out there. Keep up the great work!
    Thanks! It seems like such a cool city to swim in--SERC has interesting members-only swims going on all the time, along with all the stuff you need for swim support right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgemelli
    What a great write-up, thanks for sharing! Very cool picture as well, I poked around and found it in its original gallery:
    http://h2oshots.smugmug.com/Sailing/...5794&k=kKbnFWh
    It has a button to buy it if you would like a cool memento of your swim.
    Cool! Thanks for finding that!
    It was also nice to see the various pictures of the sailboats there--I could tell they were pretty nifty craft, but seeing them from an above-the-water-line perspective is even better.
    That sounds fantastic, but cold! Maybe some time when you are in PCB I can come over and you can teach me the ropes of open water.
    What a great story! I love how you're able to take it all in as you go. It amazes me how many OW swimmers there are out there. Keep up the great work!
    What a great write-up, thanks for sharing! Very cool picture as well, I poked around and found it in its original gallery:
    http://h2oshots.smugmug.com/Sailing/...5794&k=kKbnFWh
    It has a button to buy it if you would like a cool memento of your swim.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    You should take another trip out here, we swim outside year-round
    You'd probably be fine in our lakes now too, water temps are in the low 60s.

Are you doing SCAR? Sounds like there's a good group. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town. But I do want to look at a few o/w options this year, including something in NYC
    Ha! I thought of your workouts when I was down in FL and swimming outdoors, with tons of space. One day at practice we did sprints off the blocks, and since we all had our own lane we could do them as 1 heat. Sweet!

I'm not doing SCAR this year--I'm sure it will be great, Kent does a such a super job putting it on. I think I will be mostly sticking closer to home this summer and doing events close by. There's a 5M cold water swim in early May in CT, then stage 6 of 8B, and after that I'm not sure. There's tons of things to choose from if you want to do something in or near the city!
    You should take another trip out here, we swim outside year-round
    You'd probably be fine in our lakes now too, water temps are in the low 60s.

Are you doing SCAR? Sounds like there's a good group. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town. But I do want to look at a few o/w options this year, including something in NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    How fun and interesting to "play" with the jellies! I fear those things, but it sounds like you had a good time with them.
    By the time I started playing with them I had had enough contact with them to be confident they weren't the stingy kind--I definitely stay away from those!
    How fun and interesting to "play" with the jellies! I fear those things, but it sounds like you had a good time with them.
Page 1 of 102 123451151101 ... LastLast