View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

1. Workout with team

I swam the morning workout at John Jay with Team New York. I had four nice lane mates for the following:

600 scy warmup

200 FR @ 2:50
    4 X 50 FL/BK @ :55
    4 x 50 BK/BR @ :55
    4 x 50 BR/FR @ :55
    8 x 50 FR fast @ 1:00 [I did odds fastish, evens moderate]

300 kick, alternating right side / left side / back by 25s

4 x 125 pull @ 2:00

4 x 125 (3 IM with rotating extra 25, 1 all stroke choice) @ 2:20

250 warmdown + synchro swim with Hannah

That was it! It was the good way to start a busy day.

I leave for another extended stay in Florida / Alabama tomorrow. I’m very lucky I didn’t try to go a couple of days earlier—it sounds like things have been an icy mess both at the beach and in my hometown in southeast Alabama, with roads closed countywide in both places. It looks like temps are forecast to get back to seasonal highs (60s +/- 10) by the time I’m down there. I’m hoping to get in a good amount of outdoor swimming over the next month.

Correction to yesterday’s fun fact: Mr. Addict pointed out that I’m in fact older than the Super Bowl. It was born in 1967, a little over a year later than me, but it started out as Super Bowl I, while my age at birth was 0, hence the confusion. Oh well!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. V x D, and other fun stuff

We had a sprinkling of snow overnight, so I enjoyed walking through some crunchy untrampled whiteness on my way to Riverbank this morning. You gotta get up early in this town to do that! I shared a lane with Rondi and a rotating cast of one or two other swimmers. Here’s what I did:

1200 lcm warmup

5 x 500, FR with traveling 2 x 50 back:

• 50 BK / 400 FR / 50 BK
    • 50 FR / 50 BK / 300 FR / 50 BK / 50 FR
    • 100 FR / 50 BK / 200 FR / 50 BK / 100 FR
    • 150 FR / 50 BK / 100 FR / 50 BK / 150 FR
    • 200 FR / 100 BK / 200 FR

300 pull

6 x 100 K/S, kicks moderate, swims fastish, odds flutter/FR, evens dolphin/BK

500 warmdown + play

I felt good in the water today, and powerful on my freestyle. I’m finally get back into good enough shape that I feel like I can control my pacing on longer pieces, adding some surges when I want to, rather than just trudging through them.

Fun fact of the day: The Super Bowl and I are the same age! (At least in yards). I can’t believe it’s taken me XLVIII years to realize this.

Updated January 29th, 2014 at 11:19 AM by swimsuit addict

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Bring on the IM

I had a good solo swim at Riverbank this morning. I’ve been grooving on longer things lately, and today was no exception. Here’s how it went:

1000 lcm warmup

4 x 150 k/d/s, IM order

800, every 4th 50 ST, IM order
    600, every 3rd 50 ST, IM order
    400, alternating FR/ST (ST IM order)
    200 IM
    400 alt. ST/FR (ST IM order)
    600 IM, substituting FR for every 3rd 50
    800 IM, substituting FR for every 4th 50
    [No intervals—took about 1:00 rest between each piece. Idea was to work ST and keep FR recovery-to-moderate pace throughout set.]

400 warmdown + play

That was it! I was nicely tired afterwards.

On some of the freestyle today I worked on exhaling fully underwater, and discovered that was quite different than what I usually do. I could maintain 3-stroke breathing when doing that and swimming with moderate effort. Something to work further on!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Short and sweet

I had just an hour for this quick solo workout at Riverbank this morning:

1000 lcm warmup

12 x 100, done as

• 3 x FR @ 1:45, desc.
    • 3 x FR/BK @ 1:45, desc.
    • 3 x FR/BR @ 2:00, desc.
    • 3 x IM @ 2:00, desc.

Magic 700, alt. FR/ST

100 warmdown
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Frozen hair

I had been hesitant to venture up to Riverbank after Tuesday’s foot of snow. While the sidewalks and streets in my neighborhood were quickly shoveled and salted, I was worried about the walk to Riverbank. Its snow maintenance, which is done by the State Parks Dept rather than the city, has always tended to be substandard—they typically seem to just drive over the paths with some sort of golf cart, compacting the snow and making things icier with each refreeze. This time, though, they got things right. When I got to the pedestrian bridge leading to the park, I was amazed—it was completely cleared and dry, as were the paths through the park. Go figure--It was as if they had used all the salt they had stockpiled over the last 5 years in one fell swoop. (Every locker had a crusty of salt on the bottom from people’s shoes.) In any case, I was very glad not to have to negotiate slippery sidewalks in the dark.

The pool was very quiet—the cold is keeping people inside this week—and very warm. I shared a lane with Rondi and one other good circle swimmer, and did the following:

3 x LCM 1000, odds reverse magic 1000s (fr/bk), even regular magic 1000 (fr/bk)

5 x 400, done as
    1—alt kick/swim and IM/free by 50s
    2—IM, alt k/s by 50s
    3—swim, alt free/IM by 50s
    4—IM, alt k/s by 50s
    5—IM swim

200 warmdown + play

That was it! And yes, my hair did freeze today in the 3 blocks between the subway and my apartment. The good news is that the rest of me wasn’t cold at all—I guess 30 years of living “up north” (Michigan, Chicago, Ithaca, NYC) has at least taught me how to dress for cold weather, or at least the version of it that we get here (I don't think I'm ready for Maine or Minnesota winters yet, or for the worst of the the Midwest polar vortex). The bad news is that I only have one pair of ski pants, and I’m going to get tired of wearing them every day for the next week! I’m not sure when temps are going to get above freezing here again.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Before the snowstorm

I had been looking forward to swimming the Tuesday night workout with my team today, but with a snowstorm looming it seemed safer to go ahead and get in a workout this morning, to avoid possible pool closures or transit hassles. I was able to stay and swim solo after I coached at John Jay this morning, adapting the main set of the workout I had just coached to swim the following:

1000 scy warmup

8 x 50 kick @ 1:00, IM order + RIM order

6 x 50 free @ :55, desc. 1-3 then hold 4-6 steady
    6 x 100 BK/FR @ 1:35
    6 X 150 FR @ 2:15, desc. by 3s
    6 x 100 IM, 2 @ 1:45, 2 @ 1:40, 2 @ 1:35
    6 x 50 free @ :50, smooth and efficient

100 easy

8 x 100 k/s/k/s @ 2:00, IM order twice through, ascending to warmdown pace

200 warmdown / play / twirly swim

That was it! I enjoyed being back on deck this morning and seeing my swimmers after a month away, and it was good to be able to get in a swim afterwards without trekking to another pool. The pool was mostly empty during the lap swim—I had my own lane, and saw just 2 other swimmers the entire time I was there.

When I left the snow was already falling and had accumulated some. It’s supposed to keep coming down the rest of the day, so I’m happy with my decision to exercise early rather than later! Also glad to have finally caught up on my GtD goal pace.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Riverbank morning

I enjoyed a fun swim this morning at Riverbank with Hannah and Rondi. The pool was hopping on this holiday morning, but not overcrowded--we shared our lane with 2 other swimmers for most of the session, and I enjoyed having swimmers I knew who aren't regulars here in adjacent lanes. Here’s what I did:

1400 lcm warmup (rev. magic 1000 with fr/bk + 4 x 100 k/s by 50)

2 x magic 700s (forward and backwards)

5 x 200, done as

• 50 FL + 150 FR
    • 50 FR + 50 BK + 100 FR
    • 100 FR + 50 BR + 50 FR
    • 200 FR
    • 200 IM

400/300/200/100 IM, alternating K/S by 50

200 warmdown + play + kickboard retrieval

That was it! The pool was beautiful during sunrise today, with a pink sky to the east, followed shortly by the second western “sunrise” that occurs when the sun gets high enough to reflect off the glass buildings on the Jersey side of the river.

I’m catching up—I’m now just 1.5 miles behind on my flog. Still a long way to go for my free swimsuit though!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. IV x M

Yesterday my team held the first session of its annual OHS extravaganza. I didn’t swim it this year, but did go by and count for a couple of heats. I got to witness some really nice swims, and seeing friends and teammates dig deep to set PRs and reach goals must have inspired me, because this morning I found myself excited about swimming long continuous stuff. I arrived a little on the late side for my solo workout at Riverbank, and managed to get in the following:

4 x 1000 LCM @ :30ish rest, done as

• 400 FR / 600 alt. BK/FR by 100s
    • 200 swim / 400 IM kick / 400 pull
    • Magic 1000, alternating FR/BK in a 5/1/4/1/3/1/2/1/1/1 (lengths) pattern, pushing turnover on the FR
    • 400 kick/swim by 50 + 400 pull + 200 warmdown/play

That was it! I didn’t really stop except to hit the water bottle between the 1000s. Afterwards I felt good and energized, but not tempted to sign up for next weekend’s OHS part II. It’s nice to be able to swim long stuff LCM, and skip half the turns.

My goal this week is to catch up on my GtD goal. I decided that I want a swimsuit this year, but I am behind already, by a little over 3 miles. I’m optimistic about catching up by the end of the week though!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Back home!

I had a good workout this morning at Riverbank on my first day back in New York City. I enjoyed swimming outdoors down in Florida immensely, but also experienced the drawbacks of relying on an outdoor pool as it was closed a lot during my month there for cold, rainy, or windy weather. It’s good to be back in the city for a few weeks and enjoy swim buddies and reliable facilities. This morning I got to swim with Hannah and Rondi, and this is what I did:

1100 lcm warmup

5 x 500, FR with traveling 2 50s BK

300 K/S by 50
    2 x 200 IM
    400 FR pull
    300 K/s by 50
    100 warmdown + play

I felt good in the water this morning, although the pool was definitely on the warm side. It was energizing to be swimming with people again—on my last swim Wednesday down in Florida I was the only person in the whole 20-lane pool.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. How I confuse myself for fun

I’m glad I had a good swim at the pool last Saturday, because the cold snap meant that it didn’t open up again until Wednesday afternoon. I felt sludgy and unmotivated for my workout that afternoon. The pool was crowded—they only opened a limited number of lanes, keeping the deep end covered, and the Sewanee college kids were back, plus a group of Navy candidates doing their swim test (for which they apparently were not allowed to wear goggles, since none of them were). That only left a couple of lanes for lap swimmers. This is what I did:

1000 scy warmup

8 x 25 @ :30, 2 each stroke IM order, odds ez, evens fast

Super-duper math set
    30 x 50 @ 1:00, with (cumulatively unless noted otherwise)

• Multiples of 3 = breaststroke
    • Multiples of 4 = backstroke
    • Multiples of 7 = fly
    • Everything else FR, with strokes falling earlier in the IM trumping those falling later
    • Primes = kick
    • Triangulars = sprint
    • Squares = double distance (ie 100) @ 1:30
    • Perfect numbers = appropriate stroke backwards (feet first), not worrying about interval (or about sprinting on #28)

[The original math set (rules 1-4) had previously morphed into the “super math set” with the addition of rule 5. The last time we did that one, I was thinking about what other complications one could add, and came up with the last 3 constraints. I have to confess I got a bit confused on a couple of the 50s, but the set at least did keep me moving in the water on a day when I wasn’t feeling that into the swimming. I want another go at it, on a day when I can go up to 50, because it seemed a shame not to get to swim double distance fly.]

300 warmdown

This morning I enjoyed a double dip, in the gulf and then in the pool. The day was gray and misty, and with air temps in the 40s—perfect for hopping in the ocean! It was actually really beautiful out there, with the gulf fading indistinguishably into the sky when I breathed seaward, and everything made hazy and magical-spooky by sea smoke. The water was still enough, and the tide high enough, that I could swim on the near side of the sandbar close to shore. I stayed in for about 30 minutes, but the last 10 or so of that was spent just floating with my eyes closed and enjoying the gentle rhythm of the water.

I was chilled through when I got out—water temps have dropped to 52 here—but warmed up quickly inside in front of the fire. Later in the morning I drove over to the pool for my second swim of the day. There was just one other swimmer in the 20-lane pool when I arrived around noon, but he got out shortly after my warmup, and I had the whole pool (not to mention the longsuffering lifeguard) to myself under the gray drizzly sky for the rest of this practice:

1000 scy warmup

FR/IM flat-topped pyramid
    100 FR
    200 IM
    300 FR
    400 IM
    :30 rest
    400 FR pull
    300 IM
    200 FR pull
    100 IM
    All FR = 1:30/100 interval, all IM = 1:45/100 interval

500 warmdown + play

That was it! There’s no more super-cold weather forecast during the rest of my stay, so I hope the pool will stay open regular hours for the duration. I’ve missed the morning LCM swims!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Saturday morning swim

This morning I enjoyed a very satisfying workout at the PCB pool. When I drove up for the 9am masters workout the pool still had its covers on—usually not a good sign. At the ticket counter they told me that the pool temp had dropped because the heaters were unable to keep pace with the unusually cold weather we have been having (lows have been below freezing, and yesterday’s high was only in the 40s—I know that won’t impress anyone in the most of the rest of the country, but it’s chilly for this area). The pool was open, though, with the guards uncovering just a few lanes as needed. The attendant estimated that the pool temp was around 75. Did I still want to swim? You bet I did!

I double capped—air temp was 41, and it was clouded over and windy—and made my way to the pool deck. There I saw that the pool temp display read 77.94. Perfect! There were three lanes uncovered, and just one other swimmer in the pool. Age groupers were milling around doing drylands. As I was taking off my parka the masters coach told me the age groupers were not getting in, and asked if I wanted a workout. I looked at what she had planned, but decided I would do my own. Here’s what it was:

1000 scy warmup (400s varied, 200 IM kick, 200 FR pull, 200 IM d/s)

5 x 500 FR with traveling backstroke @ 7:30:

• 1st one—5th and 6th 50 is backstroke
    • 2nd one—4th and 7th 50 backstroke
    • 3rd one—3rd and 8th 50 backstroke
    • 4th one—2nd and 9th 50 backstroke
    • 5th one—1st and 10th 50 backstroke

[I worked the portions of each 500 between the two backstrokes, so that the last one contained a hard 400. The sun came out as I did this set, and the wind died down some. More swimmers came in, and more lanes were uncovered. On the first 500, I was startled by a wetsuited swimmer suddenly in front of me as I was coming into the wall. It turned out to be my pal Paul, who had intended to dive under me but was stymied by the buoyancy of his wetsuit. We laughed about that.]

50 easy

IM ladder
    100 IM @ 1:45
    200 IM @ 3:30
    300 IM @ 5:15
    400 IM @ 7:00

450 easy warmdown

I loved swimming in this water temp! My head got cold when I stopped at first, but once the sun came out even that was ok, and the double capping seemed unnecessary. But I didn’t like the partly covered pool—it was funny how much happier I was when there was someone in the lane between me and the dark water that lay beneath the tarps.

It’s been perfect weather for cold-water swims lately. Yesterday the air temp was in the low 40s, the water temp in the high 50s, and it was brilliantly sunny. I enjoyed a beautiful swim down the beach and back. I’m still a little uneasy about swimming out in the gulf here by myself, but I’m getting more brave about it. Plus, I haven’t been completely alone. The last few times I’ve been in the gulf I’ve seen a single foot-long white fish—the same one?—that comes and swims very near me. (I’ve learned not to startle it away by flinching when I see it). After I exited the water yesterday, though, there was a pelican diving right where I had last seen my little friend. I couldn’t tell if the pelican caught anything, and I hope “my” fish is still out there somewhere and will visit me again.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Cloudy morning swim

This morning I had a good swim at the PCB Aquatic Center. I was hoping to swim in the rain, but it was mostly gray with just a few drops. At least the forecast thunderstorms didn’t show up! Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200IM K, 200p, 200IM d/s)

4 x 150 (K/Build/easy), IM order
    8 x 200 @ 3:45, odds IM desc, evens FR < 3:20

10 x 50 w/zoomers @ 1:05, odds K, evens K w/ arms

100 easy

6 x 100 FR/BK, desc. 1-3 and 4-6 @ 1:50

100 easy

3 x 200, odds pull w/ paddles, even FR/BK by 50s

100 warmdown

I had my own lane for all but the last 500 or so of this—when the visiting Sewanee team showed up I moved over to split a lane with another lap swimmer. The visiting college swimmers must envy the teams that actually go somewhere warm for their winter training trip—it’s been rainy and cool for most of their stay, and while the sun is coming back tomorrow, it will be chilly! I prefer this weather to tropical climes, but I think I’m in the minority on that!
    Categories
    Uncategorized