View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

About a year after beginning this blog, I got interested in open-water swimming, and it's been my passion ever since. Here's a list of some swims I've done.

1. Vanderbilt YMCA

I had a nice mid-morning swim at the Vanderbilt Y (on East 47th between 2nd and 3rd Avenues) today. I hadn’t been to this pool in a few years--it's across town, a couple of subway trains away--and getting over there turned out to be an adventure in lostness. I got lost trying to find the elusive Northwest Passage (yes it’s called that) out of Grand Central Station (which I was determined to use to avoid walking a couple of extra blocks outside, in the cold--did I mention it's winter here now?) I was confused again trying to find the women’s locker room once I got to the Y. After I’d changed, it was down into the sub-basement and through a maze of corridors before I finally stumbled upon the pool … oops, the wrong pool … then some more wandering around until I finally found the lap swimming pool. There I was very happy to find Hannah, Ken, and Yuta colonizing the fast lane. They kindly stopped to explain the mega-set in progress to me. I joined in, customizing it as follows:

600 scy warmup (6 x 25 back/75 free)
    400 FR drill with peppy turns
    300 IM sandwich (100fr/100im/100fr) @ 4:30
    3 x 100 free/back halfsies @ 1:30
    400 IM play
    300 IM sandwich @ 4:30
    3 x 100 FR/BK halfsies @ 1:30
    6 x 50 FR @ :45, switching leader every 50
    3 x 100 FR/BK halfsies @ 1:25, 1:30, 1:35

4 x 50 @ 1:15 to warm back up after chatting

Then I did this last bit on my own:

4 x 50 IM order @ :55 (25 build into turn, fast turn, rest easy)

6 x 25 BR, working on pullouts and finishes

400 FR drill + warmdown

I felt good and smooth by the end of this workout. The pool was pleasantly cool, and it was nice swimming with a group of friends after doing a lot of solo swimming this week.

Updated December 2nd, 2012 at 07:21 AM by swimsuit addict

Categories
    Uncategorized