View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

About a year after beginning this blog, I got interested in open-water swimming, and it's been my passion ever since. Here's a list of some swims I've done.

1. Y swim

It seems I overdid last week in my “hurray-my-asthma-is-finally-better” flurry of exercise. The swimming in cold water on Friday did me in for the weekend, and now I’m back on an exercise-lite regimen, basically doing nothing that involves hard steady breathing until my lungs calm back down, It’s frustrating, but I’m trying to focus on doing what I can—weights, stretching, very light swimming or walking—while working on being patient and staying hopeful that things will improve. I’m seeing my doc tomorrow to get more advice on how to proceed.

I did get in an easy swim at the Y this morning. It seemed like a good chance to try out my new Agility paddles—I had ordered some after reading everyone else’s raves about them here. After trying them on, I was pretty skeptical about being able to keep them on my hands during a relaxed recovery—I can slide the paddles on without touching the sides of my thumbs, and I didn’t see what would keep them from sliding off the same way once a hand was upside down in the air. Pondering a fix, I tried wrapping layers of athletic tape around the thumb-hole of the right paddle, using enough to make some friction between my thumb joint and the paddle, but not enough to make it a tight fit. I left the left one unadorned, so that I could try them both ways, and brought my similarly sized (0.5) Strokemaker paddles too so that I could play around with different combinations. Here’s what I did:

1000 easy warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200 IM d/s)

16 x 25 swim with paddles, using different combinations

4 x 25 streamline as far as possible + swim

200 IM kick no board, working streamlines and posture

2 x 25 streamline as far as possible + swim

4 x 75 (25 plank kick with board + 50 kick + armstroke, focusing on tight core)

2 x 25 streamline

200 easy

The verdict on the paddles: I didn’t have any trouble keeping them on during the underwater portion of the stroke, but that’s probably because I was just doing 25s and focusing on technique. I think they’d probably be useful doing longer sets—I know I tend to splay my left hand out to the side too far on my catch once I get fatigued, and I think they would give me some feedback on that. They seemed to provide about the same or even a little less resistance than the very small strokemaker paddles I’m used to using—when I used the strokemaker on my left hand and the agility on my right it seemed fairly balanced. The tape narrowing the thumbhole did indeed help with keeping the paddle on during the recovery—the left-hand paddle came off on many lengths, or rotated 180 degrees from my palm (like a book opening) so that there was no easy way to get it back into place at the beginning of my stroke. I could keep this from happening by gripping the paddle in various ways on the recovery, but that felt awkward, and I liked the tape solution on the right-hand paddle better. (Does anyone have any other suggestions?) I’ll keep working with these and see how it goes. And once I master them I might want to try the mediums—I was right between sizes on the hand-chart, so went with the smalls for my first pair.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Bonus beach day

I had a disappointing diving session last night—I felt dizzy and headachy, and stayed for just half of practice. I hadn’t been feeling well during the day, but I was eager to get back to practice after having missed a couple of weeks, and hoped that things would feel better once I was out at the pool. They didn’t—I think the lack of sleep over the last week (medication side-effect) finally caught up with me. I felt totally out of my element on the boards. I got some good work done before I bailed, but it was discouraging to travel two hours roundtrip for just 45 minutes of dive time. Ugh—bodies—sometimes it’s can’t live with them, can’t live without them! The only upside to last night was the amazing view of the rising full moon reflecting off the Unisphere as I walked back to the subway.

Today was a much better day. I awoke this morning feeling much improved, and was able to take some time off to go out to the beach, where I met up with a couple of CIBBOWS buddies for a mid-day swim. The water was around 50, I’m guessing, and I swam to the white building and back, about a mile, my longest swim of the season so far. The water was murky, but fairly flat and very refreshing. The first half of the swim was long, against the current (“Maybe I forgot how far it was?” I kept thinking to myself), but stroking back the landmarks on the beach just seemed to fly by. Warming up on the beach afterwards in the strong sun was delightful. Hoping for more beach time this weekend!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Workout with team

This morning I enjoyed a good workout with TNYA at John Jay College. Brad was on deck, and I enjoyed being part of a friendly and hard-working lane of 4. Here’s what we did:

800 scy warmup (200s, 100k, 200p, 100k, 200 IM)

8 x 100 IM: 4 @ 1:50, 4 @ 1:45, desc. each set of four [technique goal: keep head looking down on breath in FL and BR; time goal:1:20 on the fastest ones, went 1:21 and 1:19]
    16 x 25 kick, 8 @ :30, 8 @ :35

8 x 125 FR @ 2:00 [goals: 1:40s + bilat. breathing on odds, 1:35s + 2 dolphin kicks off walls (gotta start somewhere!) on evens, mostly met]
    16 x 25 swim choice @ :30 [did 4 sets of 4, odd sets BK, even sets FR alternating easy / sprint]

6 x FR pull with paddles @ 2:25 [did 4 moderate pace holding 2:00, then last two warmdown]
    150 extra warmdown

My asthma has improved a lot since last week—I still sometimes have a purring sensation in my chest when I inhale, and there’s some coughing between sets, but I no longer feel like it’s hampering my workouts. Looking forward to getting off the oral meds soon.

Diving tonight—been looking forward to it all week!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Blissy Riverbank morning

I enjoyed swimming at Riverbank this morning with a couple of friends. It was a lovely sunny morning, and I enjoyed the bright rays shining in the windows at the far end of the pool during the first part of the session. Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k RIM, 200p, 200 IM d/s by 25)

I knew I wanted to do some faster IM swims today, but I waited to see what my pals were doing before coming up with a workout. They chose a longish 500-2x400-3x300-etc FR set, so I did the following on the same intervals, focusing on working the IMs and recovering on the FRs:

500 FR, neg. split
    400 IM strong [7:05]
    400 FR, neg. split
    300 IM strong [5:15]
    300 FR, neg. split
    200 IM fast [goal was 3:20, thought that was a reach but went 3:16, happy]
    300 FR pull with paddles easy

Building an IM: 4 x 200, done as

• 50 FL strong + 150 moderate free
    • 50 FL + 50 BK strong, 100 mod. free
    • 50 FL + 50 BK + 50 BR strong, 50 easy free
    • 200 IM strong

4 x 100 kick, odds FR/BR by 25s, evens BK/FL by 25

200 warmdown + play

I was working on a faster turnover on my fly this morning, trying to pause just long enough to get a good catch at the front of my stroke instead of resting and overgliding there. A few times I got it just right, and it felt like I was surging forward while I was breathing, rather than having a dead spot in my stroke there. Hey, I think this might be what fly is supposed to feel like! Unfortunately I couldn’t make it happen at will, but at least I could recognize the magic when it struck. Hope I can find that feeling again, note what I’m doing differently when it occurs, and come up with some keys to do it consistently.

After my swim I treated myself to a 30-minute stretching session at the playground north of the pool. It’s a great place to stretch—there are lots of bars and rings to hang from and grab onto to stretch my arms and torso, plus raised wooden platforms where I can sit and do leg stretches while watching ship traffic go by. And it’s a delightfully sunny spot too. Having a sun-warmed, stretched-out, and well exercised body is a pretty blissy way to start the day!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Meet report

I had a really great time at the Commissioner’s Cup meet on Sunday. It was a well attended event, with around 175 swimmers, but with 10 lanes things went pretty quickly and the meet took maybe 3.5 hours total. The 500 at the end and the 200s grouped all at the beginning accounted for a big chunk of that, so after the opening relay my 4 individual events (all 50s) came and went quickly. The 25y competition course was set up starting in the shallower end of the pool, which, with the adjustable floor lowered all the way, was about 2m deep. One odd thing—the adjustable part of the pool bottom ended about 15y out, and at the end of it there was a white plastic scalloped border—I assume this serves to cushion the adjustable floor when it meets up with the permanent tiling. But besides being functional the scallops were cute too—it looked like the pool was wearing a frilly lace garter across its middle, and swimming across it made me smile every time.

The meet was deck seeded, but psych sheets were distributed so that we could check that our entries were correct. I dutifully flipped through it to make sure I was in the events I’d entered—yep, there was my name in the 50 fly list—but wait! There was a 28.39 by my name. That wasn’t right at all—I’ve broken 30 once or twice, but not recently, and I had padded my seed times pretty well for this meet. I flipped to the 50 free--25.37? That was faster than I’d ever gone too--I knew I hadn’t put that down. My other seed times were equally off. As I went up to the computer table to straighten things out I was trying to puzzle out what had happened—things weren’t off just by a digit, or even two.

As it turned out, everyone’s seed times had been treated as though they were meters times, then converted to yards by mistake. So swimmers would end up seeded where they should be, just the times would be off. There’s always something quirky with the heat sheets or seeding at this meet; this year’s glitch turned out to be pretty innocuous.

That mystery solved, I warmed up, went off the block s a few times, and gathered with my team to get relay assignments for the meet’s big event—the Commisionner’s Trophy Relay. The parks department goes all out for this, bringing in huge trophies for the top 6 teams (1 for each swimmer), plus t-shirts and a big photo session for each relay team. It’s not an official masters events, so any 4 swimmers who meet the criteria (2 men, 2 women, total ages equaling 160 or more) can enter, regardless of official team affiliation. And since it’s deck entries, there’s always last-minute finagling during warm-ups to try to pull together teams, with women over 40 being in high demand. This year I was very glad to be affiliated with TNYA, and have a coach on-deck taking care of all the relay decisions and entries so that I wasn’t part of that zooiness.

I had heard that one of my open-water buddies was putting a team together to go after the event record, a 1:40-mid. I knew we didn’t have a shot at them, so I was rooting for them to get the record. They didn’t disappoint, swimming a 1:40-low, the class of the field by far. My team came in third (1:49) with a strong finish from our anchor swimmer, who passed one team in the final 5 yards and came very close to catching another. They didn’t post individual splits, so I have no idea what I went, but I enjoyed swimming with my teammates and cheering them on in a close race—gotta love relays!

The rest of the meet was individual events, and I spent most of my time behind the blocks waiting to swim, or in the warmup pool. I had about 10 minutes between my first two 50s, then a 40-minute gap, then about 5 minutes between my last 2. My times were relatively slow (in IM order: 33.03, 33.48, 38.00, and 29.01), and if I had been really focusing on doing everything I could to swim fast at this meet I would have been disappointed by these results. But since I’ve kind of been taking an extended break from working very hard in the water, these seemed about right. And I was reminded how very much I enjoy just getting up on the blocks and racing, no matter the result—the experience was just plain fun.

So while I swam times in yards that would once have been good metric times for me (and no, they didn’t give the results the same treatment they gave the seeds times), I actually ended up feeling better about swimming after this meet than I have in a while. It confirmed to me that pool racing is something that I find worth doing, and that I would like to be better at. It also made me feel more connected to the pool swimming community again—it was gratifying to see so many familiar faces and chat with so many meet buddies from over the years. The one thing I regretted about the meet going so fast is that I didn’t get to watch more of other people’s races.

As for my events, what kept me from going faster on Sunday? A little bit of everything. I expected to tie up at the end of my 50s, as the little sprinting I’d done in practices had been just 25s or less. But that only happened in fly, where my arms had a hard time getting out of the water those last 15 yards. On the other strokes I felt almost good at the finish. I think that means I need to work on those lactate-production type sprinty sets more so that I can generate enough energy in the first place to put myself into some distress by the end. I could feel that my turnover in breast and back wasn’t as fast as it should be for 50s. And my execution on starts/turns/breakouts will be sharper the more race-pace stuff I do. So basically—there’s a lot of room for improvement here.

One of the things I had forgotten that I like so much about meet swimming—or maybe I never realized it before I became so immersed in open water stuff—is the sense of order and predictability. I just feel a certain competence when I’m at meets, because I know exactly what I’m supposed to be doing at any given moment. From the basics of being behind the blocks when I’m supposed to be and following starting commands to more complicated things like swimming races the way I’ve planned or getting in a good warmup in a crowded pool, the script has pretty much already been written. The challenge comes from executing mostly-predictable and replicable things well, rather than trying to figure out what I should be doing at any given moment. That I’m drawn to (rather than bored by) that sort of challenge is the kind of personality quirk that has made being a newbie diver a much more comfortable experience than being a newbie polo-player ever was. And it’s one of my perennial challenges in open-water. As many of those events as I did over the past couple of years, I never got to the point where I was confident that I was doing things "right,” or always knew what that might mean—which says both something about the nature of ow swimming and about my own insecurities and need for predictability. At Sunday’s meet I felt I had found my way home again, and was reassured to find it familiar and comforting after what seemed like a long absence.

(That said, I’m not giving up on open-water, just trying to understand some of my reactions to it a little better. In fact, I just signed up for my first open-water event of the season, the 2 Bridges 5K swim on June 1. I’m willing to give up some predictability, sometimes, for the joys of swimming without walls in beautiful locales.)

I thought I would take a rest day after the meet, but I woke up this morning early, and felt excited about going to the pool, so I headed up to Riverbank. I was lucky to find one of my swim buddies there to share a set with. Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200 IM d/s by 25)

6 x 150: 3 @ 3:00, 3 @ 2:50, 3 @ 2:40, 3 @ 2:30, descending each set of 3 [I did fr/bk/fr sandwiches for the first 3, then FR for the rest. My fastest 150 was 2:10 (on the 3rd set), the last set of 3 were 2:20-2:20-2:18.]

400 IM, kick/swim by 50, easy and stretched out

400 warmdown + play

Afterwards I had a nice stretching session on the playground overlooking the GWB. I’m looking forward to doing that more often now that the weather is warming up.
  6. Mellow Riverbank workout

This morning I swam at Riverbank with a friend. The kids team wasn’t there, and it was remarkably uncrowded for abou the first 45 minutes of the session. (Then word must have gotten out). Here’s what I did:

1000 warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200 IM d/s)

200 pull with paddles, build

5 x 300:
    Odds FR pull with paddles
    Evens ST/FR by 50s, with ST IM order
    [On the 4th one I tried doing 20 sprint / 30 easy on the stroke park—must have pushed a little too hard, had to get out and do my emergency inhaler.]

200 warmdown + play

Tomorrow I’m going to a local meet—the Commissioner’s Trophy Relay meet, which is a free annual event run by the NYC Parks department. It was the first local masters meet I attended when I moved to the city, so I have a soft spot for it and am glad I can attend this year. Back then, in 1994, it was held at Riverbank, which is only 4 ft deep—I can’t believe we were allowed to do dives off blocks into that depth, but we were, and did. Now the meet is held at the lovely Flushing Meadows Aquatic Center, which was built for NYC’s 2012 Olympics bid, and is where I go for diving practice.

When I signed several weeks ago, I chose to all four 50s, and I’m so very glad now I did. Then I was thinking sprints because I was excited about developing more strength and power with my lifting and diving, but now after being on a reduced workout schedule for a while I’m just happy I won’t have to swim more than two lengths at a time. It’s been a while since my last meet (since Iceland last May), and I was realizing as I was packing my bag for tomorrow just how out of practice I am at the whole getting-ready-for-a-meet thing. (It’s still far easier than preparing feeds for a multi-hour swim though!)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Afternoon at the Y

I swam mid-afternoon today at the Y with a friend. I got some stronger inhalable meds from my asthma doc yesterday, and am hoping that they help improve the lung congestion over the next few days—if not, I’ll have to begin a prednisone course, which I’d really like to avoid doing. So far so good—I was able to push things a little harder in the pool today, and was very grateful for that. Here’s what I did:

1000 scy warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200 IM d/s)

6 x 300, FR with a traveling 50 BK (the first 50 BK on the first 300, second 50 on the second 300, etc.)
    [I wanted to begin really gently on these and push harder as the set went along, provided I was feeling good. So I decided to swim the freestyle before the backstroke 50 strong on each repeat, and that worked well. Those “strong” portions were only at about 1:22 pace today, but I’ll take that—it felt really great to be able to push a bit and still be able to breath. We didn’t do intervals, just enjoyed a short chat break in between.]

7 x 50 or 75, first 3-6 strokes sprint, rest easy [I did 3 FR, 2 BK, 1 BR, 1 FL, just to remind myself there is such a thing as sprinting.]

250 warmdown

That was it! This was a very pleasant workout. So glad to be feeling better!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Back in the water

I was back in the pool for a short workout today after a week of being sick and not exercising much at all. The respiratory infection is under control, thanks to antibiotics, and now the race is on to get my lungs clear of congestion before something else yucky decides to set up camp there. I’m exercising at pretty low intensity—anything more than that triggers asthmatic coughing fits, which just end up adding to the congestion and prolonging the recovery. So here’s the mini-workout I did this morning:

1000 warmup / easy swimming (400s, 200k, 200p, 200s)

4 x 200 FR, odds pull with paddles, moderate pace, evens swim build to mod-fast

200 warmdown

It feels really good to be doing stuff with my body again besides coughing and sniffling!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Spring cold

I was really bummed to wake up yesterday with a cough and congestion. After somehow escaping this past winter’s flu and colds that seemed to be everywhere, I seem to have come down with something just as the first warm weather bloomed here. At first I thought I must have triggered my asthma swimming on Saturday in the relatively cold dry air—I dutifully wore my ever-so-fashionable air warming mask while running on the beach to warm up, but there’s not much I can do about the temp of the air I breathe in while swimming. But the onset of other symptoms today makes me think this is just a regular old cold/URI. That’s actually a relief—the last time I had asthma problems it took months to resolve, and I ended up injuring ribs and muscles from all the coughing. I’m trying my best not to feel paranoid about revisiting that ordeal, and in the meantime I’m being very proactive about resting and upping my asthma meds in order to head off those sorts of complications.

I did go out today with my yoga mat this afternoon and do some lunges and a few planks on the long pier near my house that overlooks the Hudson. (3 x 5 each leg, and just 2 planks for probably not long enough). Then I plopped down on the mat with my book and basked in the sun for a while, which was nice. Here’s hoping I shake this thing soon.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Beach swim

I had been looking forward all week to heading back to the beach this weekend. Last week, I barely did more than dip in the cold water; this week, I wanted to stay in and swim long enough to get in the full range of cold-water swimming sensations—or at least the ones that fall to the safe side of hypothermic spectrum. The water had scarcely warmed up from last week—it was between 40 and 41 today—and air temps were in the high 30s when I left home. But the day was sunny, and there wasn’t too much wind, so I had hopes that it would warm up a bit by the time I got out to the beach and in the water.

When I arrived at Brighton one of my fellow CIBBOWSers was finishing up an ice swim. (To be an official ice swimmer you must swim a mile at 5C or below). She had attempted this the previous week and fallen a little short, but today she made it the whole distance, and I was happy to be there to see her achieve her goal. Once that had been accomplished and she and her crew had gone up to her car to warm up, there were just four of us left on the beach—a smaller crowd than last week, but still good company for a beach morning.

I got in pretty quickly, and swam to the big jetty to the east and back, about 700 meters. The tide was extremely low, and the water had an opaque orangy cast to it today. It took a while before I felt anything besides the initial pins-and-needles sensation in my face, hands, and feet that swimming in water this cold brings, but eventually that faded a bit and I felt a pleasant warmth in my shoulders, face, and torso. On the way back from the jetty the current was against me a bit, and the water turned a bit choppier, but the swimming never felt difficult, just different. I watched the landmarks on shore and was reassured that I was making good progress the whole time despite the current. When I reached my starting point I was feeling good, and was tempted to continue on westward, but I could feel my hands stiffening up. I feared that if I extended my swim I might not have the dexterity to be able to get dressed without help once I reached shore. (Not that there wouldn’t be help there if needed—we swam in shifts today, and tend to look out for each other in general—but there are some things I like to be able to do for myself.)

So I came ashore, and was able to shed the swim swimsuit and pile on the layers quickly, before any shivering set in. Before I had gotten in I had arranged my clothes for speed dressing—hat on top, then neck gaiter, towel, wool camisole, wool shirt, fingerless gloves, second shirt, sweater, changing skirt, long underwear, wool pants, parka, scarf, mittens—and it paid off. I’ve never done triathlons, but I suppose this is a more layered version of the planning and packing triathletes must do for their transitions.

Once dressed, I jogged around on the beach and enjoyed the sensations of rewarming. I shivered a bit, but not too hard, and enjoyed the beautiful day as I sat and chatted with friends, drinking hot ginger tea and slurping soup. After lunch, I spread out a second blanket and went through a short stretching routine—rewarming after a cold swim always seems to help my flexibility. The day never warmed up as much as we had hoped, but whenever the wind calmed down the sun felt glorious. Finally it was time to head home, so I packed up and enjoyed a quick subway ride back to the city with a couple of my swim companions. I’m glad beach season has returned!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. With a smile and a ribbon . . .

This morning I swam at Riverbank with a couple of friends, plus a hundred thousand other folks. It was crowded, in part because one of the pool my team and others uses for regular workouts, John Jay, has been closed this week. The combination of crowded lanes and my general listlessness made for an uninspired workout. Worse, my two pals were diligently swimming 700s, so I couldn’t even catch them at the wall very often for chatting. Luckily there were plenty of other swimmers I knew up there who were feeling social, so I got in some frequent talking breaks during the following:

700 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 100p)

500 FR, with speed-play
    600 FR with some backstroke lengths
    [Here I gave up on the everlasting would-be 700s and decided to try some sprinting instead.]

12 x 50 (25 sprint, 25 easy): odds K, evens S, 1-4 FL, 5-8 BK, 9-12 FR

10 x 100 very gentle swimming [These felt really good.]

I blame the big pink ribbon in my pull buoy for inducing the following ear worm this morning, which I initially found annoying. But somewhere during the sprint set my annoyance with this cloying song grew so great that I had to laugh, and so I eventually ended up (yes) smiling to myself as the song played on in my head during the last half of my swim. Here it is, for everyone else’s enjoyment:

Earlier this week I planned to order some more swimsuits for the spring, but I made myself clean out my swimsuit drawer to see what I had first. Big mistake—I think my next swimsuit purchase will be a couple of age groups down the road. (But maybe I can use that hypothetical money I will save to buy one of these fabulous mermaid tails!) For years I had a bad habit of buying grab-bag suits, then tucking the ones I didn’t like away for “later." Luckily, tastes change, and I was able to find a few that I like now, or that somehow just got lost in the shuffle. Another discovery—worries about lycra material deteriorating whether you wear suits or not seems to be overblown. Maybe it does—I have a friend in the fashion industry who recommends keeping unworn suits in the freezer—but the process must take a while. I found one suit with a Goodwill Games 1998 logo on it that seemed to be just fine. Of course, it’s a zip-back suit, and I don’t play polo anymore, so I’m not sure when I’ll wear it, but the material seems to have held up well.

So today's new suit was all vivid blues and greens, with big flowers on it—I am willing spring to be here by wearing the brightest colors I can, but the weather is not listening. I feel like the anti-Grinch, whose best efforts to make the season arrive are stymied by grumpy cold winds that just won’t go away. But I’m going to win out in the end—and indeed might be already, as it’s turned into a beautiful sunny afternoon. Here’s to the power of flowery swimsuits!

Updated April 5th, 2013 at 04:58 PM by swimsuit addict

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Refreshing morning swim

Last night I went to my first (indoor) rowing class since summer. I had been wanting to resume these workouts ever since I returned to the city in early March, but I had to wait a bit while a foot injury healed sufficiently that the pushoff from the pedals wasn’t aggravating it. (It’s an old injury, to the joint connecting my big toe to my foot, and I had hurt it again at a trampoline session in late January.) My goal last night was simply to reacquaint myself with rowing form and make it through 45 minutes of class, and I did that. After some warm-up and half- and quarter-rows for form work, we did some power tens (series of 10 strokes fast—my fastest got down to 1:55), then the following set:

5 x (2 minutes fast, 1 minute easy) [descended these from 2:27 to 2:11)

2 minute rest / stretch
    At this point I thought the workout was about done. We had 6 minutes left, and we usually spend the last few minutes of class warming down and stretching. But, nope, the instructor decided he wanted to do the above set again. Since we had time for only 2 rounds, we did 3:

3 x (2 minutes fast, 1 minute easy) [descended from 2:28 to 2:11)

It was nice to be back rowing—I’m hoping to add this to my weekly schedule on a regular basis.

This morning I swam at the Y with a friend. The pool was crowded when I got there, and we had to get the duo swimming in the fast lane to agree to circle with us. (Who takes “Would you mind circling?” as an actual question, anyway?) They left after a few laps, though, and we had the lane to ourselves for most of the workout. Here’s what I did:

750 warmup (400s, 200k, 200 pull)

4 x 75 FR k/d/s @ 1:30
    4 x 150 FR/BK/FR desc. @ 2:30 [2:15 > 1:58]

5 x 500s with traveling backstroke
    1st 500 = FR except 1st and 10th 50s are back
    2nd 500 = FR except 2nd and 9th 50s are back
    3rd 500 = FR except 3rd and 8th 50s are back
    etc.

250 warmdown + play

The pool was a good temp this morning—I even got a bit chilled when I was swimming at warmdown pace. Luckily there’s a sauna and steam room at this pool, and I made good use of them post-swim today. Weights this afternoon and ballet class tonight made for a full day of exercise. I'm definitely looking forward to a massage tomorrow!
  13. Riverbank morning

Today I swam at Riverbank with 3 friends. I arrived a little before the doors opened, so went to the adjacent playground for a nice pre-swim stretch. I’m looking forward to warmer weather so that I can resume my longer post-swim stretches there. Today’s goal in the pool was to get in some aerobic work/yardage and focus on my breathing timing on freestyle. Here’s what I did:

600 lcm warmup (400s, 200k) [found a pearl earring in our lane!]

400 IM
    400 FR
    300 IM
    300 FR pull
    200 IM
    200 FR pull
    4 x 200 build-an-IM (50 FL/150 FR, 50 FL/50 BK/100 FR, 2 x 200 IM)
    5 x 100 kick
    [There is some pattern-logic to this set--the first 6 swim corresponded more or less to the 1 x 500, 2 x 400, 3 x 300 that my freestyle-focused swim buddies were doing (and from which the 4 2’s and 5 1’s naturally followed). Doing some IMs (and getting more rest) suited me better.]

100 warmdown + play
    Categories
    Swim Workouts