View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

1. Multi-sport Sunday

I enjoyed a good swim at Riverbank this morning. I didn’t have any workout buddies per se, but the pool was full of familiar faces, some of them former teammates whom I hadn’t seen in a while, so I felt like I was swimming with friends even though I did a solo workout. Today’s sets were of the spur of the moment as-my-mood-dictates sort which sometimes leaves me unmotivated and aimless, but today I stayed focused and felt like I got in some good work on some technique areas that needed addressing. Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 4 x 50 drill/swim RIMO)

8 x 50, 2 of each stroke IM order, odds = kick 25 fast / 25 easy, evens = swim build

100 FR pull with paddles, 3-stroke breathing, working on good catch on non-breathing side
    50 fast FR swim with paddles (strong kick), focusing on early hip rotation
    50 FR kickboard-as-buoy pull with paddles, focusing on hip rotation

8 x 50 kick, 25 fast + 25 easy, 1-4 rev IM order, 5-8 IM order

100 FR pull with paddles, 3-stroke breathing, working on good catch on non-breathing side
    2 x 50 FR fast swim with paddles and strong kick, focusing on early hip rotation

8 x 50, #s 1,4,6,8 fast kick, reverse IM order, #s 2,3,5,7 easy swim (order manipulated for kickboard-at-the-right-end-of-pool purposes)

2 x 50 FR fast swim with paddles and strong kick, focusing on early hip rotation
    2 x 50 FR kickboard-as-buoy pull with paddles, focusing on hip rotation
    2 x 50 FR with strong kick, working on all of the above

100 warmdown

I was really enjoying kicking long course today. My fastest 50 kicks were right at :50 (FR and FL), but my BR kick was slow and seemed like a stranger to me today. I’ll have to start spending more time with it so that we will become friends again.

After my early swim I stretched, had a little nap, enjoyed a diner brunch, then headed out to Brooklyn for diving practice. This wasn’t our regular TNYA workout, but one with a small group of masters divers at St. Francis College. Two of their divers had visited my team’s workout this past Thursday, and had invited me to come to their Sunday afternoon practice. I took them up on it, and was glad I did—I enjoyed a good hour of going off the boards, working on my front approach. With just 4 divers and 2 boards, I got plenty of reps in, and plenty of good feedback. When I started diving my coach said that the approach and takeoff were the hardest part of diving, and the one that takes the longest to master—and that all that flipping and twisting in the air afterwards is simple by comparison. I’m beginning to see his point. I did hit a few good approaches today and could clearly feel the difference—now I need to work on doing that consistently instead of by chance

The Saint Francis pool is super easy to get to—it’s about a half-hour door-to-door from my apartment. And now I have dived, swum a workout, and played in a polo tournament there! The coach was not sure yet what the summer schedule for diving would be out there, but I hope it’s at a time when I can go, and which doesn’t conflict with TNYA’s workouts—it would be great to get in 3 diving practices a week!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts