View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

1. Finally a loop!

I enjoyed a wonderful swim today at Brighton Beach with CIBBOWS. The day was sunny with a high in the low 80s, and the water was 62—pretty perfect conditions, in my book. We had a big crowd out, and I enjoyed chatting with other swimmers and hearing their experiences and perspectives on the big swim race yesterday (many of us had helped out in various capacities). I also got to catch up with a few swimmers I hadn’t seen in quite a while.

Once sunscreened and lubed, I set out towards the pier. The water had some nice gentle swells that were fun to swim into. I got into a good rhythm almost immediately and enjoyed watching the scenery roll by, appreciating the calm and solitude. With a current assist I was down by the Coney Island amusement parks, and then the pier, almost before I realized it. I could see people on the pier and was surprised they had reopened it already, but when I got closer I saw they were all workers in hard hats, and that the end of the pier was still not yet completed. I stopped and watched them for a few minutes from the water before turning around and heading back.

On the return trip the swells were with me and seemed to want to surf me along I soon saw my friend Mike, and he turned around and swam with me back to Grimaldo’s chair. Since I was feeling good and not ready to get out, I then headed down to the white building. I was easily finding the kind of serene and joyful feeling today that made me fall in love with open-water swimming in the first place—with the sun shining on me and waves at my back, it was easy to lose myself in the water and appreciate the beauty and joy of stroking along through it.

At the white building I turned around and headed back, passing a steady stream of swimmers during my swim back in. Hard to believe it was my first loop of the season, with June is already almost half-way over! On the beach I was delighted to see Evmo, and to meet Paul, the winner of yesterday’s MIMS swim. I chatted with them a bit and with the crowd of CIBBOWS there, and shared some cookies before coaxing nearly a dozen people back into the water for some beach synchro. We made up a little routine and had an in-water giggle fest performing it What a perfect beach day!
    Categories
    Uncategorized