View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

About a year after beginning this blog, I got interested in open-water swimming, and it's been my passion ever since. Here's a list of some swims I've done.

  1. The joy of 10 seconds

    Last night I swam the evening TNYA workout at Hostos Community College in the South Bronx. This pool was added to our team’s rotation a few weeks ago after the closure of the City College pool cancelled our workouts there. It’s a nice 6-lane 25yd facility, a little on the warm side last night. The best thing about it is that since it’s new and a bit out of the way, practices are uncrowded. Last night I enjoyed swimming with just two lanemates, and we got to go 10 seconds apart! I can’t remember the last time I’ve done that in a NYC masters workout. For someone who likes space around them when they swim, it was heaven. Scott was on deck, and here’s what I did:

    750 scy warmup (various)

    8 x 50 @ :55, odds d/s IM order, evens FR shoulder touch drill

    300 pull @ some rest-allowing interval
    3 x 150 desc. @ 2:35 [I did FR/BK/FR]
    100 easy
    2 x 100 IM fast @ 3:00 [1:20s]
    100 easy

    4 x 100 FR @ 1:35
    4 x 50 @ 1:25: 25ez/25 fast BK, 25 fast BK/25 ez, 50 fast BK, 50 easy
    3 x 100 FR @ 1:30
    4 x 50 @ 1:25 as above
    2 x 100 FR @ 1:20
    4 x 50 @ 1:25 as above
    [went :34, :34, :35 on the fast 50s BK]

    100 synchro swim with Hannah

    That was it!

    This morning I swam at Riverbank, sharing a lane with Rondi and John but doing my own thing. I started out pretty tired but perked up during the 200s. Here’s what I did:

    1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, long stretching interlude, 200 IM d/s by 25)

    10 x 200 @ :20-:30 rest: 2 pull with paddles, 1 FR/BK halfsie, 1 pwp, 1 FR/BK halsie, 1 IM kick, 1 pwp, 1 FR/BK halfsie, 1 IM kick, 1 IM swim

    300 warmdown + play

    That was it. I reached my GTD goal of 365 miles today. Looking forward to a beach + massage day tomorrow!
  2. pm/am double

    Last night I went to the Team New York evening workout at John Jay. TNYA is such a big team—there’s around 500 of us—that there are whole subgroups outside of the John Jay pool morning crowd that I don’t see very often. So it was a treat to see and swim with old friends who are primarily evening swimmers, plus I enjoyed the actual workout as well (thanks to coaches BJ and Matt!). Here’s what I did:

    Warmup: 400 scy swim, 4 x 75 k/d/s (I did IM order), 200 IM

    2x thru
    3 x 50 K @ 1:10
    2 x 50 BK/BR @ :55
    1 x 50 FR breathe every stroke [This was useful, and something I don’t often do—I tried to work on mimicking my right (good) side breaths with my left side breaths, at least until I inhaled water doing that. Apparently the right side of my mouth isn’t as practiced at keeping out water as the left side is, which explains why I normally get more of my face out of the water when breathing left.]

    Pull-with-Paddles pyramid: 50-100-150-200-150-100-50, all on :45/50 interval [I pulled on the way up, then ditches the paddles and buoy and swam 50fr/50bk/50fr, 25fr/50bk/25fr, 50bk on the way down.]

    3x thru
    400 FR long and relaxed @ 6:30
    200 FR fast[er] @ 3:30 [2:38-2:40]
    100 FR sprint @ 1:15 [1:10, 1:08, 1:07]

    100 warmdown + 50 synchro FR with Richard and Cara

    The workout ended at 9, so I wasn’t planning on swimming this morning, but my body felt like it wanted to swim when I woke up, so off to the pool I went. I was delighted to find Rondi at Riverbank when I got there, and we shared a lane while I did the following long easy workout:

    600 warmup (400s, 200k)

    900 (200 FR + 50 FL + 200 FR + 50 BK + 200 FR + 50 BR + 150 FR)
    700 (150 FR + 50 FL + 150 FR + 50 BK + 150 FR + 50 BR + 100 FR)
    500 (100 FR + 50 FL + 100 FR + 50 BK + 100 FR + 50 BR + 50 FR)
    300 (50 FR + 50 FL + 50 FR + 50 BK + 50 FR + 50 BR)
    200 IM

    400 Kick (200 IM + 200 RIM)
    6 x 50 Pull with paddles, focusing on bilateral breathing and post-breathing rotation
    200 Swim, alt FR/BK by 50
    100 scull + play
  3. Change of plans

    For the second time this week I found myself opting out of a beach swim at the last minute. This morning I was packed and ready to head out the door when I remembered to check the subways. Turned out my usual train wasn’t running, and getting to the beach would involve more time and hassle and shuttle buses than I wanted to invest in a short swim. (That was at least an improvement over Monday, when I felt unwell half way out to Brighton and had to just around and come back.) Luckily there was a swim practice near my house midday today that I went to instead. It was packed—we had six or more per lane. I ended up with five good lanemates, and enjoyed the workout a lot. Here’s what I did:

    900 scy warmup, various

    12 x 50 @ :55, IM progression (4 x (fl/bk, bk/br, br/fr, fr/fl))

    400 IM kick

    2 x 100 @ 1:50
    1 x 150 @ 1:50
    1 x 50 @ 1:50
    4 x 100 @ 1:50
    1 x 150 @ 1:50
    1 x 50 @ 1:50
    4 x 100 @ 1:50
    1 x 150 @ 1:50
    1 x 50 @ 1:50
    2 x 100 @ 1:50
    [This set looks confusing, but it was actually very cool. On each swim, the first person in the lane did a 150, the last person in the lane did a 50, and everyone in the middle did 100s, all on the same interval (1:50). After each swim the first person moved to the back, and we cycled around 3 times, so it was essentially 3 fast 150s with lots of active rest in between. I just barely made mine (1:47-1:48). I really enjoyed the esprit de lane this set created—we all got to encourage whoever was doing their fast swim, and congratulate them when they came in.]

    8 x 50 ST, #s 4 and 8 fast [BK on first 4 (35), BK/BR on second 4 (39+)]

    200 warmdown

    I was very happy after workout to remember that the lunch I had packed for the beach was in my beach bag waiting for me. It all worked out in the end!
  4. Bubble rings!

    Today I managed to blow bubble rings for the first time! I did a prosaic mid-day workout at the Y, and afterwards enjoyed having my own lane to scull and play in. I tried lying on the bottom and blowing bubble rings, which I’ve done before, and this time they actually came out as rings rather than just big bubbles. Cool! I was just in the shallow end today—I’ll have to work on my sinking skills so that I can do this in the deep end as well. I’m not yet as skilled as these guys . . .

    …but it’s a start!

    My workout today:

    1000 scy warmup

    4 x (3 x 50 FR @ 1:00, desc.)

    4 x (3 x 25 @ :30 desc., stroke IM order)

    400 experiment, scull, play
  5. Chilly beach day

    The beach was really lovely today. The weather is definitely turning colder, and with air temps in the 40s and an overcast sky the CIBBOWS crowd was thin. The water was flat and very clear and pretty, but chilly—it seems to have dropped a bit this week. I swam west (heading into the wind and current) first, going as far as the WonderWheel before deciding it might be smart to head back. When I reached my starting place I wasn’t quite ready to get out, though, so I swam on to the big jetty, then about half-way to the next. I had been thinking of going to the white building that usually marks the eastern endpoint of our loop, but I decided that I was getting chilled enough and ready to head in, so I did. It ended up being a truncated-at-both-ends loop, a little over 2 miles. It felt wonderfully calming and peaceful out there. I especially enjoyed watching a large three-tiered tugboat and barge combo go by, and was lulled by the dim sun glancing off the water when it peeked out from time to time.

    I dressed and warmed up quickly on the beach, with Hsi-Ling leading me in some kung-fu exercises that seemed to get warm blood flowing throughout my limbs quicker than jogging around. I can’t wait to get back out there—there’s just something about swimming in chilly water that is amazing and addictive. Hurray for November beach days!
  6. Twos and threes

    I swam at the Y today solo, doing the workout I coached on Tuesday morning, with a few modifications. Here’s how it went:

    1050 warmup (200fr, 200 st/fr by 25, 200 IM kick, 200 FR pull, 200 RIM d/s by 25, + extra 50 FR)

    4 x 50 FR, desc., @ :50
    3 x 100 ST/FR IM order @ 1:35
    2 x 75 (FL/BK/BR, BK/BR/FR) @ 2:30
    1 x 200 IM

    2 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    3 x 100 FR desc. @ 1:30
    2 x 50 K @ 1:00
    3 x 150 FR/BK/FR steady pace @ 1:30
    2 x 50 K @ 1:00
    3 x 200 FR desc. @ 3:00 [2:54, 2:40, 2:34]
    2 x 50 K @ 1:00
    3 x 150 FR/BK/FR steady pace @ 2:20
    2 x 50 K @ 1:00
    3 x 100 FR desc. @ 1:30 [1:13 on fastest]

    400 SKPS warmdown

    That was it

    I chose the Y today because Riverbank is doing some bulkhead repairs and so is set up scy in the morning for a while. They still have the same number of lanes open though (7 or 8), so things are a lot more crowded. I’m willing to travel and swim in warmish water for LCM, but if I’m swimming short I might as well stick closer to home and enjoy a cooler and less crowded pool. Signs at RB say the repairs will take 3-4 weeks, but the lifeguards are saying it should be more like 1. I hope they’re right—and in the meantime I’m feeling lucky to have other good pool options.
  7. Workout with team

    Today I swam the morning TNYA workout at John Jay College. My lane had 6 friendly and well-matched swimmers, and Brad was on deck. Here’s how it went:

    950 warmup (3 x (200fr + 75 fl/bk/br + 25 sdk) + 50 extra play)

    12 x 100:
    2 x (100 FR @ 1:40, 2 x 100 IM @ 1:45, 2 x 100 FR @ 1:35, 1:30, 1 x 100 IM @ 1:45)

    12 x 75 (25 kick + 25 fly swim + 25 kick) @ 1:30

    6 x 200, done as 2 x (50fr/100bk/50fr @ 3:20, 100fr/50bk/50fr @ 3:10, 200 fr @ 3:00)

    100 wd

    2 x 50 synchro swim with Hannah

    That was it!

    Things I’m grateful for today include rain boots, rain puddles, and play dates at the pool with small people.
  8. Short and sprinty

    Today I went to the Y midday for a long stretching session and a solo swim. Here’s how the latter went:

    900 scy warmup (200fr, 300 st/fr by 25, 200 kick, 200 IM d/s by 25)

    3x thru
    4 x 25 FR @ :25, 1-3 desc. to sprint, 4 easy
    3 x 50 FR @ 50, desc to sprint [fastest improved each round: 34, 33, 32]
    3 x 50 K @ 1:00, desc to sprint [fastest was 46 (FL kick on back)]
    50 easy

    100 warmdown

    The sprinting felt good, although I had to remind myself not to get pokey on the turnover during the last half, both kicking and swimming. I haven’t done much all-out swimming since IGLA. Looking forward to improving the times as I work on this part of my swimming more.

    I’ve been enjoying the earlier sunrise since the time changed, but hadn’t been able to adjust my sleeping to the new hours. I can tell myself that I’m an early riser when I wake up at 4:30, and I generally enjoy having a bonus half-hour or so of quiet time to plan my day and prioritize desk stuff before heading off to swim. But 3:30am —well, there’s no way to spin that as anything but insomnia. Finally this morning I slept until 5, so maybe my body’s gotten the memo about that whole falling back thing!
  9. Beach day

    This morning I coached the early TNYA workout, then headed out to the beach with Hannah. We took turns swimming from Grimaldo’s chair. I went to the aquarium and back, and enjoyed a good shiver on the beach after. The water was crisp and had some movement to it—not quite “sporty,” but at least a little jaunty. The sun was in and out, and with air temps in the 50s the beach was fairly empty. It felt like such a privilege to have the whole beautiful place to ourselves—or at least to share it with a few territorial seagulls, one of which kept trying to grab the edge of my beach blanket in its beak. Afterwards we went by the spa just a block from the beach that offers good $35 hour-long massages, then picked up a knish for the subway ride home. I treasure these fall beach days.
  10. Riverbank morning

    I had a good swim this morning at Riverbank State Park, sharing a lane and most of a workout with Rondi and Hannah. Here’s what I did:

    1000 lcm warmup (400s, 200 RIMk, 200p, 200 IM d/s by 25)

    1 x 100 FR @ 1:40
    1 x 50 fr @ 1:00
    2 x 100 FR @ 1:40
    1 x 50 fr @ 1:00
    3 x 100 FR @ 1:40
    1 x 50 fr @ 1:00
    4 x 100 FR @ 1:40
    1 x 50 fr @ 1:00
    5 x 100 FR @ 1:40
    1 x 50 fr @ 1:00
    [My goal was to keep all the 100s under 1:30—I made 14 of 15. Pleased, as I was having trouble just making the interval on these a month ago.]

    50 easy swim

    12 x 100 fr/bk halfsies, descend each set of 3, @ 1:50 (first 7) and 1:45 (last 5)

    400 IM kick/swim by 50
    300 fr pull
    200 IM kick
    100 warmdown + play

    It was such a pretty morning that I walked home from Riverbank—about 4 miles—on the footpath by the Hudson, enjoying the brilliant foliage and the white-capped river.

    Things I’m grateful for today: good lanemates who are also good friends, toe socks, and race directors who hold swims in interesting conditions. In that last category is Andy Davis, who put on the first-ever 2.6-mile Cold Water Challenge in Fairfield, CT this past Saturday. It was a really beautiful swim and I enjoyed it greatly. Water in the sound was flat and in the mid- to high-50s. Hope it becomes an annual tradition!
  11. IGLA highlights

    I had an amazing time last week in Seattle at the 2013 IGLA Championships. Over 5 days I competed in 13 events (in the pool, on the diving boards, and in the open water swim), plus managed to hit some of the many social events and get in a few extracurricular fun swims. The whole week was exhilarating and exhausting. Here are a few of the highlights:

    Tuesday, August 13, 12 noon
    The competition pool opens for warm-ups at 12, and I’m there at the stroke of noon. The buses transporting swimmers from downtown haven’t arrived yet, and when I come out on deck the place is still empty. The meet organizers tell me the pool is open, and that the lifeguards are getting bored. Will I get in and give them something to do? You bet I will! I have the whole pool to myself for nearly a half hour while others trickle in for the 3pm meet start.
    After my swim warmup, I stretch and try out the diving boards, then count and cheer for fellow blogger andrewmalinak and other teammates during the 1500. I like the Federal Way pool! Although subsequent days are a little more crowded than this first distance day, it always feels like there is plenty of room on deck, plenty of warmup lanes, plenty of locker room space.

    Tuesday 7:30pm
    I’m downtown at the Aquarium. We have the place to ourselves after hours for IGLA’s opening party—no kids three-deep around the touch tanks tonight! I coo over the snoozing baby sea otters as the sun sets over the sound.

    Wednesday 9:15am
    My first event is the 100 FL. My swimming goal is to win all 5 of my individual events, and this one should be doable—there’s no one else in my age group. That means I can either take it easy, or I can go after it without worrying that dying on the last 50 will cost my team points. I choose the latter, and end up splitting the race 36-43. Ouch.

    Wednesday 10:35am
    My next race is the 50 BK, and it’s one of two I expect will be tight—I’m racing against my Seattle friend Jennifer, who dusted me last year in the 100 BK in Iceland. She’s a faster backstroker, but my start and turns put me in front off each wall. I end up barely holding her off in the last 10 meters for the win. (The championship-style seeding at this meet sometimes seemed odd in the women’s events, where there were often only 2 or 3 heats, but in the swims where I had close competition in my age group I enjoyed being able to see them while I raced).
    The 200 IM is about 20 minutes later, and, remembering my 100 FL from earlier in the day, I take out my fly leg on the IM in very relaxed dps mode (5 strokes on the first lap, 6 on the second, 41 sec, vs. 10/11 and 36 on the 100 FL). I go into the backstroke feeling fresh as a daisy, which makes for a pretty IM if not the fastest one I’ve ever swum. An 800 FR relay finishes off the morning swim session.

    Wednesday 2:30 pm
    In addition to swimming and diving, I get to indulge my inner Busby Berkeley/Billy Rose impulses at this event by choreographing the in-water part of our Pink Flamingo entry. And—it gets even better!—an Esther Williams impersonator and diving boards are involved. I’m loving this meet. The choreographing is actually easy—the 6 teammates doing the routine are very good and get things after one go-through—and spending an hour working with them is total fun. I can’t wait to cheer them on at the performance on Saturday!

    Thursday 1pm
    After a 50 FL and a 400 medley relay in the morning swim session, it’s finally time for diving! Today’s 1m competition is what I’ve been looking forward to ever since I arrived. In practice, the success rate on my dives (doing them legally and not crashing too badly on the entries) ranges from about 50 percent (for my “aspirational” dive, a front somersault with a full twist) to about 90 percent, so it seems like over the course of 7 dives in competition the odds of completely fluffing at least one of them are pretty high. I don’t though—I do everything competently, and one or two things semi-well, and at this stage that counts as a huge success. It takes me about 3 rounds to get over being horribly nervous and realize that I’m actually having fun. After the competition Olympian and guest judge Kent Ferguson tells me I have nice lines. Joy! My dives and scores:

    • Front dive tuck (degree of difficulty 1.2) 6.5 5.5 5.5
    • Front 1.5 somersault (dd 1.6) 4.0 3.0 4.5
    • Inward dive tuck (dd 1.4) 5.0 4.5 5.0
    • Reverse dive tuck (dd 1.6) 5.0 4.5 4.5
    • Back dive straight (dd 1.7) 5.5 6.0 6.0
    • Back dive with a half twist, straight (dd 1.8) 4.5 5.0 5.0
    • Front somersault with a full twist (dd 1.9) 4.0 4.5 5.0

    Thursday 8:30pm
    After a long day in the natatorium, I head up to Alki Beach for the IGLA women’s garden party. There’s delicious grilled salmon, wonderful salads, and brownies and peaches for dessert, and lots of fun conversation. While watching a glorious, drawn-out sunset over the sound, I decide that IGLA is my idea of the perfect adult summer camp.

    Friday 4am
    My body resists switching from east coast time, plus I’m very nervous about the 3m competition today. I’m awake, and decide to use the time to watch the replay of the dive competition from yesterday. Yikes—I really need to get my legs straight and together. That should be the easy part of all this tumbling around in the air, but somehow it isn’t. I manage to fall back to sleep briefly before I have to get up and head off to the pool.
    (All of the IGLA competitions except for the open water were live webcast, and the videos remain archived—at least for now.).

    Friday 11am
    Diving warm-ups are from 11-1. The 3-meter board is looking very high. I’m so nervous that I don’t even want to climb up there for warm-ups. Specifically, I’m scared of my back dive. It’s usually a reliable dive, but during the previous week I seem to have developed a tendency to over-rotate it, and have crashed badly on a few that came closer to a ¾ rotation than the required ½. (If I go over 3/4 around, the dive will not count at all, plus the landing hurts). I still have bruises on my thighs from doing this the previous week in practice. I try telling myself that I shouldn’t warm up this dive before the competition, because if I crash I will just be that much more afraid, but I know that’s just the fear talking. I try a few off the 1m, then climb up to the 3m to do one off that height.

    And I promptly crash it, hitting my thighs hard again on the water as I over-rotate. Coach Croft looks up from his meet director duties and tells me to make my take-off stronger, so that the dive goes up first, rather than simply throwing it backwards off the board. This is counter-intuitive—the last thing I want to do is get more height on something where I’ve just hit the water hard—but I know that’s what is required. So I practice a few back take-offs, then try the back dive again. Not perfect, but better. I’m happy I have that key to think about during competition.

    And speaking of keys, I keep a little notebook that has each of my dives in it, so that I can review my keys for each one during the break between rounds. This not only keeps me focused, but also helps stave off nerves while I wait for my turn to come up. For the 3m every single dive has “strong takeoff” and “eyes open” as keys, and usually one more thing pertaining to the particular dive. When I’m frightened, I tend to take timid little jumps off the board rather than taking my time and letting the board spring me up into the air. I also tend to close my eyes, which makes landing the dives a challenge—I end up cringe and waiting for the water to hit me, rather than reaching out strongly towards the water for the entry. I discover that when I’m really nervous, both of these tendencies get worse.

    Still, I make it through all 7 rounds with legal dives, and even remember to point my toes and keep my legs straight and together a little better than yesterday. Here are my dives and scores:

    • Front dive tuck position (1.4 dd) 6 7 5
    • Front 1.5 somersault tuck position (1.5 dd) 4 4.5 5
    • Inward dive tuck (1.3) 5.5 6.5 6.5
    • Reverse dive tuck (1.8 dd) 5 5 4.5
    • Back dive straight (1.9 dd) 4 6 5
    • Back dive with half twist, straight position (2.0 dd) 5 5.5 4.5
    • Back flip straight (1.8 dd) 4 5.5 4

    Whew! I’m so relieved when this is over. I realize after that my goal has been a negative one—avoiding failure—rather than a positive one for this event. I think that the positive goals—wanting to excel in my dives, and increase my scores—will come, but for right now I’m just pleased as punch to have learned my seven dives, and performed them competently in competition. I’m beginning to feel an ownership of them now that I didn’t before—I really can do this thing!

    Friday 2:40pm
    I enjoy watching the platform and synchro 3m competitions, then it’s time for my final dive competition of the meet—the 1m synchro. I’m diving with fellow swimmer-turned-diver Onesimo. This part is pure fun—just 4 dives, all of which I’m confident in, with the challenge of synching up the approach distracting me from any nerves. Here’s how it went:

    • Front dive tuck 6 7 6.5
    • Front 1.5 tuck 5.5 6.5 5.5
    • Inward dive tuck 5 7 5.5
    • Back dive straight 5 6 6

    Onesimo and I are the only mixed-gender duo in the synchro dive competition, so we end up with a gold medal. That makes 3 for me in diving (I was the only woman in my age group in the other two competitions).

    Friday 6pm
    I celebrate a successful day at the pool with . . . an outing to another pool! I meet up with Andrew and a couple of local swimmers at Colman pool (aka Kirk’s fabulous summer pool). It’s a wonderful 50m saltwater beauty located right on the sound. We swim in the lap lanes, go down the water slide, wander down to the adjacent beach for a dip (the water is delightful—low-to-mid 60s—and I wish I had time to swim more there). Then we go back up to the pool for more water sliding. It’s a great way to wind down from the stress of the day, and we follow up with burritos at Alki Beach afterwards. Sunset over the sound never gets old.

    Saturday 7:30am
    It’s back to the pool early for a another full day—the last one--at the Wyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center. I swim a 50 BR and the 4 x 50 Free relay, take part in the diving exhibition, and watch the synchro swim competition, which is dominated by teams from the Multnomah Aquatic Club in Portland. They do amazing things, and wear amazing sparkly suits that are custom made (yes I asked about the suits—the women I talked to have gone from sewing sequins one-by-one on swimsuits during high school to being able to design their suits and have them made up for them by local seamstresses). Their duo entries include a charming routine by a mother-daughter combo—and the mother is 83 years old! The Multnomah crew also end up winning the Pink Flamingo competition, with a tribute to Esther Williams that includes voice-overs from her autobiography.

    A couple of the synchro girls teach me to do pin-wheels in the water. Beach synchro is getting a new move soon.

    Sunday 8 am
    IGLA concludes with an open-water swim in beautiful Lake Washington. We’re all looking a little worse for wear at this point, but the lake is restorative. And I finally get to meet James, who rocks the 2-mile wetsuit swim. Of course there’s lake synchro after!

    Final thoughts
    I can’t say enough good things about the wonderful people who organized this IGLA. This is one of the best run meets I’ve ever been to, and also one of the most joyful and friendliest. Kudos to everyone who had a hand in putting together the event. Every aspect of the week—meet management, social events, staying-in-Seattle logistics, all the other sports competitions—was a home run. The aquatic center facilities staff were also really impressive, seamlessly changing the pool setups from warm-ups to swimming to polo and diving and back again.

    I was looking at next year’s calendar, and there are 3 big swim meets—Worlds in Montreal, USMS LC nats in Maryland, and Gay Games in Cleveland—going on right around the same time in August. My experience in Seattle—plus the opportunity to dive as well as swim--makes me lean towards Cleveland. .

    Meet results

    My meet results
    Event 5 Women 45-49 100 SC Meter Butterfly
    1 Harris, Janet 48 Team New York Aquatics-6 1:24.21 1:20.87
    r:+0.93 36.92 1:20.87 (43.95)

    Event 9 Women 45-49 50 SC Meter Backstroke
    1 Harris, Janet 48 Team New York Aquatics-6 36.63 36.12

    Event 11 Women 45-49 200 SC Meter IM
    1 Harris, Janet 48 Team New York Aquatics-6 2:56.52 2:58.48
    r:+0.89 41.82 1:27.88 (46.06) 2:19.37 (51.49) 2:58.48 (39.11)

    Event 18 Women 45-49 50 SC Meter Butterfly
    1 Harris, Janet 48 Team New York Aquatics-6 35.53 34.13

    Event 47 Women 45-49 50 SC Meter Breaststroke
    1 Harris, Janet 48 Team New York Aquatics-6 41.14 42.58

    Event 15 Mixed 160-199 800 SC Meter Freestyle Relay
    2 Team New York Aquatics-6 A 10:15.55 10:48.70
    1) Harris, Janet W48 2) Rodarte, ShannonW39 3) Napoli, John M43 4) Morrissey, James M40

    Event 28 Mixed 160-199 400 SC MeterMedley Relay
    2 Team New York Aquatics-6 A 5:30.99 5:43.84
    1) Harris, Janet W48 2) r:+0.60 Rodarte, ShannonW393) r:+0.62 Napoli, John M43 4) r:+0.51 Morrissey, James M40
    r:+0.81 41.25 1:24.77 (1:24.77) 2:04.79 (40.02) 2:52.43 (1:27.66)
    3:37.69 (45.26) 4:31.85 (1:39.42) 5:06.42 (34.57) 5:43.84 (1:11.99)

    Event 40 Mixed 160-199 200 SC MeterMedley Relay
    4 Team New York Aquatics-6 A 2:19.00 2:31.40
    1) Martins, Jack M38 2) r:+0.73 Turnbull-Brown, Elisa3b)etrh:+W0.4214 Chamberlain, Randall 4M)4r:4+0.22 Harris, Janet W48
    r:+0.84 39.95 1:23.75 (43.80) 1:58.44 (34.69) 2:31.40 (32.96)

    Event 51 Mixed 160-199 200 SC Meter Freestyle Relay
    1 Team New York Aquatics-6 A 2:10.99 1:56.97
    1) Harris, Janet W48 2) r:+0.50 Rodarte, ShannonW393) r:+0.47 Damron, James M44 4) r:+0.49 Barclay, Alexander M32
    r:+0.82 31.05 1:02.50 (31.45) 1:28.83 (26.33) 1:56.97 (28.14)

    Open-water results
    (I finished 2nd in the 45-49 non-wetsuit 2-mile race, with a time of 56.33)

    Complete dive results (link pending)
  12. Getting ready for IGLA

    My focus event this summer—the IGLA championships in Seattle August 13-18—is just 9 days away, and I’ve been making final plans and preparations for that event. I’ll be competing in 3 different aquatic disciplines—pool swimming, open water swimming, and diving--plus it looks like I might do the in-water choreography for our team’s entry in the closing Pink Flamingo competition. Here’s what my schedule will look like:

    • Arrive Monday 12 August evening

    • Tuesday 13 August: dive practice + easy swim at competition facility, counting for teammates’ 1500s

    • Wednesday 14 August: 100 FL, 50 BK, 200 IM, (4 x 200 FR relay)

    • Thursday 15 August: 50 fly, (4 x 100 medley relay), 1m dive competition

    • Friday 16 August: (4 x 100 FR relay), (4 x 50 medley relay), 3m dive competition

    • Saturday 17 August: 50 breast, (4 x 50 free relay), dive exhibition?, Pink Flamingo

    • Sunday 18 August: 2-mile open water swim

    Here’s how things are looking:


    It was a race to the wire to learn enough dives to compete in the 3m competition as well as the 1m. Last Sunday I learned a back dive with a half twist from both boards, which gave me a seventh dive, and one from the twisting category, on the higher board. So now I’m good to go.

    (As a woman, my competition lists will include 6 official, scored dives on each board. But because FINA requires 7 dives for men, women at IGLA are given the opportunity to do a seventh unofficial “equality” dive to protest this gender equality. In addition, all five groups of dives--forward, backward, inward, reverse, and twisting--should be included among the 7).

    So on the 3m my dives will be:

    • Front dive tuck
    • Front 1½ somersault tuck
    • Back dive straight
    • Back flip straight
    • Reverse dive tuck
    • Inward dive tuck
    • Back dive straight with ½ twist

    This has to be among the lowest degree-of-difficulty dive lists you’ll ever see—but hey, I’m just thrilled to be competing!

    On the 1m I might replace the twisty back dive with a front somersault with a full or half twist—I have some choices there—and I do the back flip in a tuck position rather than lay-out. I have three more practices to make everything better and to practice doing the different dives one after the other, rather than working on just one or two per practice.

    As for the competition itself, Federal Way is a great diving facility—Olympic Trials were held there in 2012. Competition runs from 1 to 2:30 each day, and there are platform and synchro competitions as well (both on Friday). I know there are 16 divers total (about half from my team, half from various elsewheres); I’m not sure if there will be anyone else in my age group. My goal is to do all my dives legally, and to maybe hit one or two really well from each height. Whatever I do, since this is my first official meet, my scores will automatically be lifetime PRs!

    Oh, and Kent Ferguson (former world champion on 3m and 92 Olympian) will be one of the judges at the competition. Very cool!

    Swim Meet

    This is a short course meters meet, with 2 courses going simultaneously. Men’s and women’s events are separate, and championship seeding (by age groups) is generally used for the shorter events. Turns will be guttered rather FINA walls, and starting blocks will have wedges (my first time using those). Swim competition is scheduled to run from 8:30 to 12:30 each day. Federal Way is supposed to be a fast pool.

    My goals here are to score points for my team and to have fun racing. Team New York won the swim competition at last year’s IGLA in Iceland by a huge margin, but this year we come into the meet as underdogs—the DC squad has 69 swimmers to our 61, and also has way more women. (Women at IGLA meets are key, since the swim meet skews about 80-85 percent men—women typically score points in any event they swim, whereas the men’s events, especially in the 20s-40s age groups, can go several dozen deep). So my focus is on placing as well as I can in all my events, and contributing what I can to relays.

    I picked my events (50 FL/BK/BR, 100 FL, 2IM) to avoid swimming too much on days I have diving, and to avoid having swim events that overlap with diving warm-ups. (Some relays might be going on at the same time as diving warm-ups, in which case I’ll shuttle back-and-forth between the diving well and competition pool as needed.) My swim training has taken a back seat to dive training and to rehabbing a calf injury this past month, and I was a little worried about my endurance in the 100 fly, especially since it’s not one of my usual events. So I have to admit I was a little relieved when the psych sheets came out, and I was listed as the only one swimming the 100 fly in my age group.

    The two events where competition will be toughest are in the 50 BK and 50 FL. I’ve been trying to do very focused work for these events, but it’s been hampered by not being able to do many wall push-offs yet. Luckily my calf is healing well, and I’m hopeful that by the time I arrive in Seattle I will be swimming pain-free, if not as well prepared as I might like. I’m imagining that the swim events will feel like a comfortable respite from the diving, where everything is new and a little scary. Some diving teammates are in the opposite situation, new to swim competitions but old hats at diving—it will be nice to look to them for mutual support and encouragement.

    In addition to my 5 events, we are allowed to swim 4 of the 5 relays. With 60+ swimmers and all the combinations of ages and genders possible, doing the relay assignments is a huge task—I don’t envy Coach Scott in the coming days! I’ve told him I’m happy swimming anything, and am looking forward to swimming with friends old and new.

    Open Water

    After 5 days in an indoor pool, I get to cap off the week with a 2-mile swim in Lake Washington. What a treat!

    Other stuff

    IGLA competitions always come with plenty of social events, and the Seattle crew seems to have done a ton of event planning. There’s an opening party at the Seattle Aquarium, hosted dinners with local swimmers, a women’s Garden Party and dinner near Alki Beach, a sunset cruise in the sound, closing banquet, etc. I’m singed up for all of those except the cruise (it runs too late for someone who never seems to adjust to west coast time when I'm out there). I'm also looking forward to making a trip to Colman Pool to try out the water slide, swimming in the sound (hoping to find a local guide for that!), and doing some other touristy stuff. Back at the pool, there will be water polo (go TNYA!) and synchro competitions in the afternoons, plus Pink Flamingo rehearsals. I have to get out my guidebook and the IGLA schedule and see what other things I want to shoehorn in.

    Some links:

    Questions for anyone who has read this far:

    • Does anyone have any recommendations for things to do near Seattle that I shouldn’t miss? I’ve stayed downtown lots of times and have seen most of the things within walking distance of the downtown hotels. This time I’ll have a car and am interested in stuff within easy driving distance from Federal Way.

    • Any advice on starting from wedge blocks? What do you do differently from a regular track start?

    Updated August 4th, 2013 at 11:20 AM by swimsuit addict

  13. To the Lighthouse: Nubble Light Challenge

    Last weekend I drove up to Maine for the 2.4 mile Nubble Light Challenge. I first read about this race in Chicken of the Sea’s blog, and was further tempted by a fellow CIBBOWS swimmer’s fb pictures of the swim course last year. But what really got me thinking about doing the event this year was talking to slknight at the 2 Bridges swim earlier this year, and realizing that York Beach, where NLC is held, is not a gazillion miles away but just over the Maine border, just an easy day’s drive from the city (about 5-6 hours, with traffic, as it turned out). Thanks Susan!

    I drove up on Thursday, enjoyed playing tourist for a day and a half in southern Maine, then on Saturday morning showed up at York High School to be bused to the swim start. I was early, so got to get in a couple of warmup swims and visit with fellow swimmers while waiting around for the 9am start. The weather in Maine was uncharacteristically hot—highs had been in the 90s for several days—but the water was in the low 60s and very refreshing. I enjoyed swimming and playing in the water with CIBBOWS friend Patty. We discovered a layer of deliciously cold water down near the sandy bottom just offshore.

    Soon enough we were getting ready for the start. This event is mostly a wetsuit swim—out of 142 finishers there were only 17 of us “naked” swimmers—and I did not at all envy those who had to pull on their rubber suits on this hot morning, then stand around in them in the sun waiting for the race to get underway. Luckily some cloud cover appeared just before start time. We started in 5 waves, with each wave having a different color swim cap. Waves were spaced 2 minutes apart, with the fastest swimmers going first. I was in the fourth wave (pink caps), so got to watch the other waves and confirm that there were no significant currents tending to pull swimmers off course as they headed out towards the first buoy.

    Soon my wave was up, there was a countdown, and we were off. The start beach was sandy, and very shallow for a long way out. Even though we started in knee-deep water, I had to run for about 30 meters through some gentle breakers before getting to water deep enough to swim in. I started all the way over to the right of my wave, which was small enough that there was minimal crowding at the start. We swam between two stationary boats on our way to the first of 5 buoys that marked the way out to the lighthouse for which the race is named.

    In every race it seems like there is one thing that makes me unexpectedly happy during the swim. In this event there were lots of happy-making elements that I expected to be delightful, and that were—the cold water, the wonderfully scenic course, and the sense of adventure and exhilaration that swimming in a new locale on a gorgeous day brings. But the quirky thing that made me smile throughout the race was this: I was wearing blue-tinted goggles that made all the pink caps in my wave appear an eye-popping shade of brilliant purple. I didn’t realize this would happen until the start—I wear a new pair of goggles for each race, and had warmed up in a pair of orange ones. I put on the blue ones just as my wave was lining up to start, and was startled and entranced to see that the once-pink caps all turn vivid purple through my new lenses. (No other colors seemed very affected, just the neon pink caps). It made me even happier to realize that if I could see my own cap it would be that color as well. All through the race, this effect never got old—whenever I saw one of those purple caps, I felt a gleam of joy.

    Once underway, the buoys were pretty easy to spot, plus the lighthouse that marked the middle of the course was clearly visible, so the sighting on the way out was easy. In addition, swimmers were allowed to have their own kayak escort for the race, and maybe a quarter to or so of the swimmers did so. I was initially worried that it would be hard to navigate around these personal kayak escorts during the swim, but it was not at all. In fact, they were helpful—if I couldn’t see the next buoy with a quick peek ahead, I just followed the line of kayakers around me. During the entire swim there were always a few swimmers and kayaks near me, but at no time did it feel crowded out there.

    The race took us around a rocky headland, at the end of which there was a small island upon which the lighthouse sits. As we neared the lighthouse I could feel some choppy currents below the surface of the water. There were gentle swells on the surface, but below them the water seemed like it was moving around in interesting ways. I was looking forward to swimming through the “Gut,” which is what the narrow passageway between the lighthouse’s island and the mainland is called. I knew it would probably be the coldest part of the course—other participants, and the race director, had mentioned that water temps often fell 10 degrees at this point in the course. It was also very shallow. I had been out to look at this part of the course a couple of days before, and at low tide the water there was just inches deep—you could easily have waded out to the lighthouse. But tides in Maine are dramatic. I could see the high-tide line on the boulders ten to twelve feet above, and realized that the race must be timed with tide in order for there to be a swimmable passageway inside the lighthouse.

    The Gut was fairly narrow—I’d guess about 20 meters across—and as we neared it field of swimmers around me grew closer, and I began to see boulders and rocks on the bottom. There was a lot of kelp floating on the water in this section, and as we got close to the mainland I could see and hear a crowd of people watching the race and cheering us on from the small park across from the lighthouse. I turned over and did a couple of strokes backstroke, to wave to them and to take in the view of the lighthouse, but I didn’t want to stay on my back too long in case I needed to navigate around some of the boulders in the shallow water. I really enjoyed this section of the course—I don’t think I’ve done an open-water swim before where you could see and hear spectators mid-race. I had just begun to wonder why the water had not grown colder here as promised when the temperature around me suddenly plunged. Ahh—there is was! Now things were perfect. (After the race I heard that the water at the Gut was 56, which is relatively mild for that part of the course—other years it has been in the 40s.)

    All too soon I was through the Gut and swimming the back half of the course, skirting the northern side of the headland on my way to the finishing beach at Short Sands. Happily, the water temp didn’t rise back up much, and I stroked happily along, feeling that the water was cold around me but not feeling cold myself. I passed a steady stream of swimmers and kayakers—I had caught up to some swimmers in the previous waves—and the pink-turned-purple caps became rarer, but were still a happy-making sight. The sun had come out, the buoys were easy to see, and this part of the course seemed to just fly by as I swam contentedly along.

    The finishing beach came into sight, and the water grew warmer and brighter as the bottom came into view. There was someone from my wave who had been nearby the entire race right behind me, so as soon as I spotted the finishing chute I began swimming hard towards it, even kicking a bit to pick up the pace. A couple of body lengths ahead of me was someone from a previous wave. When he veered off course a bit I thought I might have a chance of passing him on the finishing stretch, but he found his line and kicked things into a higher gear, so I never really had a shot of catching up with him even though I kept trying. I had swum at the finishing beach the previous day and knew that it was a little rocky/pebbly, so I made sure to swim in as far as I possibly could before standing and running the last little bit up through the finishing chute. Done! I was happy with my swim, and felt like I had put in a good solid effort the entire course.

    After the swim there were massages, yummy pulled pork sandwiches, and other treats. I got to visit with Mainers Susan, John, and Kirsten and lots of other friendly swimmers. This race drew such a friendly and happy crowd—all day long I met swimmers who were so enthusiastic and grateful for this chance to swim in the ocean, and who seemed delighted that I had somehow found my way to a race that they took such pride and joy in doing. Many had done the inaugural race and had been back every year since. Kudos to Bob and Josh Reed for putting on an event that inspires such loyalty—after having done the race, I understand why people love it so much!

    My finishing time of 1:12:30 netted me 2nd place among the non-wetsuited women (after super Susan), and 61st place out of 142 swimmers overall. I was sad to leave after a day of such fun swimming and socializing, but very happy to know about this great event. I want it to be next year already so I can go back and do it again! In the be-careful-what-you-wish-for category, part of me wants to do it under more epic conditions—with truly cold water, or with challenging sea conditions. But I feel very lucky to have found such perfect conditions for my first experience of sea swimming in Maine.


    jbs's write-up of the race

    Updated July 26th, 2013 at 08:39 AM by swimsuit addict

  14. Under the pier!

    I enjoyed a very pleasant week of swimming, almost all of it outdoors. NYC’s public outdoor pools began their lap swim season last Tuesday, so there’s a bounty of outdoor swimming opportunities between now and the end of August. Here’s what last week looked like:

    Monday—Riverbank, indoor (50m) + outdoor (25y) pools
    Tuesday—rest day
    Wednesday—Lasker Pool (Central Park, 50+ meters) evening lap swim
    Thursday—Brighton Beach play day + swim
    Friday—John Jay Park pool (77th near the East River, 48 1/3 yards) morning lap swim
    Saturday—Brighton Beach, 4-mile adventure swim to Seagate and back

    I’m grateful to pool tourist to introducing me to the city’s wonderful outdoor pools—looking forward to collecting cards from a record number of them this season!

    My pool swims this week were mostly just easy freestyle laps. I’ve lost a couple of weeks of real training—both swimming and diving—to an injured left calf, but thankfully that seems on the mend. The good news is that it’s just a muscle injury, not tendonitis or anything worse. I’m seeing a PT who is working on it, and was able to swim and even push off pool walls with moderate force on Friday without pain. I get to check out how it feels diving again tonight. I was worried early this week that this injury would keep me from competing in IGLA in mid-August—swimming with any force was quite painful, and diving was out of the question--but now I’m feeling more hopeful about my prospects. I’ll just need to adjust my expectations, and maybe compete in just the 1m springboard event rather than both (I still need to learn some more dives for the 3m, and I’m not sure yet how much the calf will limit my board time between now and then). Not being able to train properly 4-6 weeks out from a swim meet is annoying, but luckily I’ve had the distraction of these new outdoor swimming venues to keep me focused on the pleasure of swimming itself rather fretting about not being able to do everything I want to in the pool.

    The OW swims this week have really been fun. On Thursday the beach was a cool and breezy refuge from the hot city, and yesterday’s swim was especially wonderful, as I explored a new route at Brighton. The Coney Island pier is usually the turn-around point for swims there, but I’ve been intrigued by reports of other swimmers going beyond it. So yesterday I recruited a swim buddy, and Caitlin and I swam under the pier and down towards Seagate before turning around for the return journey, about 4 miles roundtrip. It was a very foggy morning when we set out—we were just able to make out the jetties as we swam from one to the next—and everything looked ghostly in the white mist, cormorants and ships and jetties all. We had a strong current with us, and were swept swiftly westwards whenever we stopped to look around and appreciate the spooky morning. Finally we the pier loomed ahead of us. I let Caitlin swim through first—she’s braver, and had been there before—then I followed. I was a little afraid of running into jellyfish, or rubbing up against the barnacled pilings, so I swam swiftly through and didn’t linger. Once on the other side, I waved up at the construction workers on the pier who were watching us, and they waved back and asked us how the water was. (The pier is still closed to the public as it’s being rebuilt after Sandy, so we didn’t have to worry about navigating around any fishing lines).

    The beach beyond the pier looked very similar to “our” beach, but the shapes of the jetties and buildings were unfamiliar, and the juxtaposition was uncanny. We weren’t sure how far the beach went in this direction, so swam in short segments, to the next jetty or lifeguard stand that we could make out in the fog. We saw a lot of boat traffic, and there must have been more out in the channel, judging by the symphony of foghorns. It was such a cool experience being out there, with everything except the water itself seeming slightly eerie. Finally we spotted the last lifeguard umbrella that marked the end of the beach, with a very long jetty beyond it. We swam to that lifeguard chair then turned around.

    On the return trip we started seeing sunlight reflecting on the water, patches of blue started appearing in the sky, and the fog eventually burned off, leaving a pleasant sunny day. The current was against us, but with a clearer notion of where we were going we swam strong against it without as many stops. Finally we were back at the pier. This time I stopped on the way under to admire the different shades of green water as we passed from shadow to light, to appreciate the endless-pool effect of the current as I did breaststroke by the pilings, and finally to do some backstroke and watch the underside of the pier get closer and recede as the waves carried me up and down. What a fun place to play—I already want to go back!

    On the way back we found a pod of Team New York swimmers and synchro circled with them, then met up with various CIBBOWS friends at various stages in their workout. The water turned deep green in the sun, and there were small rolling swells that rocked me gently as I swam. It had turned into a gorgeous sunny day—the perfect way to end a fun week of swimming. Hurray for summer in the city!
  15. The long weekend

    I enjoyed the long weekend, and managed to get in good swims every day. On the Fourth I ventured out with a few pool tourism buddies to the Red Hook pool, where we did a fun workout before hitting the food trucks for a late lunch. Among the city’s summer outdoor pools Red Hook is special because it has lap swimming (40m lengths) during all open hours. It was lovely swimming almost-LCM outdoors on the sunny holiday, and the pool was a peaceful and oh-so-blue oasis on a hot summer day.

    On Friday I went out to Brighton Beach and swam what was maybe the easiest 5k loop I’ve ever done. The water was flat, the current was negligible the entire time I was out, and it seemed like the distance just flew by. The surface of the water was so smooth and reflective—I enjoyed watching the small undulations reflecting the light on every breath. It was another hot sunny day—we’ve been having what I think of as good, honest summer weather this week, by Alabama standards—but the beach wasn’t too crowded, and everyone seemed very mellow. I got there early and left early, before the sand became painful to walk on.

    On Saturday I stayed here in the city to coach and do a pool workout. My team had three consecutive workouts at the John Jay College pool. I coached the middle one, which was aimed at newish masters swimmers (I got to explain pace clocks and intervals, which I always get a kick out off—it’s easy to forget how foreign so many conventions of swim workouts seem those outside our community). I was then glad to jump into the water for the third session. That was a rare uncrowded TNYA workout—I had my own lane, which never ever happens. Unfortunately, I’m not enjoying my pool swims as much as usual these days because I have a calf issue that keeps me from pushing off walls with any force—it’s frustrating when I’m trying to go fast but essentially have to come to a near standstill after each turn. Still, it was nice to swim with some longtime teammates, and again, the water was a cool respite on a toasty day. It’s good to be a swimmer in the summer!

    Finally, today I went out to Brighton again for another loop. I arrived early, and bought a day pass at the Shorefront Y so that I could stash my stuff in a locker there and have a place to shower afterwards. That worked out well. I swam a loop—a difficult one this time, with some strong current against in both directions. On the way to the pier, I stopped at the cormorants’ jetty to say good morning to the birds, and watched as the current carried me swiftly backwards as soon as I stopped stroking. At the pier, I stopped to chat with Pauline and Melinda, and we were carried almost back to the next jetty (luckily in the direction we were about swim) during our chat. During the second half of the swim, I struggled for a while to make my way past the long jetty and then out to the white building, but then I just flew on the way back. There were some occasional swells when the wind kicked up, and I enjoyed swimming with them and then through them.

    Through it all, I actually kind of relished the way the ocean thwarted my sense of expected progress. It made the experience kind of dreamy and surreal, since I felt like there wasn’t much relation between my swimming motions and how fast I was moving. I certainly had the sense (and it was mostly just a suspicion, since I don’t wear a watch when I’m swimming) that this loop was taking longer than usual, but that didn’t bother me—I didn’t have a deadline I had to finish by, I was confident I would get there eventually, and the water was a joy to be swimming in, so bonus swim time was in some ways a plus. It was freeing to realize that I wasn’t very much in control of when I finished this swim, and that it was just a matter of stroking along until I was done.

    Afterwards, I floated in a cold patch until I got chill bumps, then lay on the warm sand until I was hot (that took about 10 minutes), then got in and cooled off again before heading out. The water here is getting warmer—the occasional cooler patches were a treat. Time to head up to Maine to find some colder ocean, which is exactly what I plan to do in a couple of weeks. I’ve signed up for the 2.4 mile Nubble Light Challenge on July 20, and have even secured an official wetsuit exemption for the event. It looks like a beautiful swim, and I’m excited to be going to an area of the country I’ve never visited before. It will be a quick trip this year, but if the area as pleasant as expected it might turn out to be a place for future vacations.

    My other events this year are IGLA in Seattle (pool swimming, diving, and 2-mile OW swim) in August and the CIBBOWS Aquarium Swim in September. There are a few other OW 10k-ish swims in the area during September that I might choose to enter as well, but for the most part this is an off year for me on the OW front. I’m beginning to feel the glimmerings of the desire to do longer swims again, though, so I might start looking for a big swim to do in 2014.

    As far as diving progress—well, things were going well, and I had even discovered a way to dive as many days of the week as I wanted, by supplementing TNYA workouts practices with the kids team practices at Columbia. The latest trick I’ve learned is a somersault with a full twist off the 1m, which I can do consistently legally but not very well. But my desire to dive more often seems to have gotten ahead of my body’s ability to do so. My left calf is injured, and swells up painfully behind the knee when I do much with it. After a week and a half’s rest it’s somewhat better, but still not healed enough to dive again, I’m getting it checked out this week, and will know more about when I can return to the boards after I see my doc and pt. (Breaststroke, hard kicking, and pushoffs are also painful, so I hope I can get this resolved soon). Until then, I’m glad I’m enjoying the OW swimming again. I guess it’s good in any case to have multiple things you enjoy doing, all the more so with an aging and injury-prone body.
  16. Early beach swim

    I had a nice swim at the beach today. I went out early, and spent some time lounging on the uncrowded sands before swimming out to the Wonder Wheel and back. I had originally planned on going to the pier, but it is still under construction after part of it was washed away during Hurricane Sandy. This morning there was a big barge out there with a crane, and they were driving pilings into the ocean bed at the far end of the pier. It was extremely loud underwater, and I figured it was probably best not to get too near whatever was being stirred up by the activity, so I turned around a bit early.

    The water was very green today, and there was a west wind creating some fun swells that were breaking over my head on the way out. Coming back was super fast and easy, with the wind and current carrying me along almost effortlessly. The water was around 63, and I felt comfortable and calm the whole way. I had to leave earlier than I wanted—there were tons of CIBBOWS out, and I would have liked to stay longer and visit.

    I’ve been all quiet on the blog front recently, mostly because this week has been light on the swimming, and the workouts I’ve done haven’t been that interesting. My big news is that I ran—yes ran!--a 5k race Wednesday evening. I’m not at all a runner—my training for this consisted of jogging a mile on Monday afternoon—and I wasn’t at all sure if I would be able to run the entire way. I did, almost—it was a hilly course, and my husband, who was volunteering at the race, suggested that I walk the uphills if I wasn’t feeling confident in my conditioning. So I did that for a couple of hills on the first half of the out-and-back course, but on the way back I was feeling really great so I just ran the whole way. And it was really fun! My very conservative goal was to finish in less than half the time it took me to swim a 5k a few weeks ago (did I mention I’m not a runner?), and I beat that handily. And the race itself was just a joy to be a part of—the sort of small informal affair (less than 100 runners) that can be hard to come by in the city. (For comparisons sake, the Chase Corporate Challenge on the same night drew over 15,000). I’ve now ordered some real running shoes and am looking forward to adding that activity to my training occasionally, since I enjoyed it so much during the race.

    Next week we’ll be visiting my husband’s family in Columbus, and I’m looking forward to getting in a swim at Alum Creek State Park. Has anyone out there ever swum there?
  17. Finally a loop!

    I enjoyed a wonderful swim today at Brighton Beach with CIBBOWS. The day was sunny with a high in the low 80s, and the water was 62—pretty perfect conditions, in my book. We had a big crowd out, and I enjoyed chatting with other swimmers and hearing their experiences and perspectives on the big swim race yesterday (many of us had helped out in various capacities). I also got to catch up with a few swimmers I hadn’t seen in quite a while.

    Once sunscreened and lubed, I set out towards the pier. The water had some nice gentle swells that were fun to swim into. I got into a good rhythm almost immediately and enjoyed watching the scenery roll by, appreciating the calm and solitude. With a current assist I was down by the Coney Island amusement parks, and then the pier, almost before I realized it. I could see people on the pier and was surprised they had reopened it already, but when I got closer I saw they were all workers in hard hats, and that the end of the pier was still not yet completed. I stopped and watched them for a few minutes from the water before turning around and heading back.

    On the return trip the swells were with me and seemed to want to surf me along I soon saw my friend Mike, and he turned around and swam with me back to Grimaldo’s chair. Since I was feeling good and not ready to get out, I then headed down to the white building. I was easily finding the kind of serene and joyful feeling today that made me fall in love with open-water swimming in the first place—with the sun shining on me and waves at my back, it was easy to lose myself in the water and appreciate the beauty and joy of stroking along through it.

    At the white building I turned around and headed back, passing a steady stream of swimmers during my swim back in. Hard to believe it was my first loop of the season, with June is already almost half-way over! On the beach I was delighted to see Evmo, and to meet Paul, the winner of yesterday’s MIMS swim. I chatted with them a bit and with the crowd of CIBBOWS there, and shared some cookies before coaxing nearly a dozen people back into the water for some beach synchro. We made up a little routine and had an in-water giggle fest performing it What a perfect beach day!
  18. There really is more than one way to catch a fish!

    The beach was glorious this morning. I got to go out to Brighton for a mid-week swim—always a treat, and especially so today, because I got to meet several of the marathon swimmers in town for this Saturday’s swim around Manhattan (MIMS). In addition to three other CIBBOWS swimmers, we had 3 swimmers from Perth, one from Ottawa, and one from Brazil out enjoying the crisp waters off of Brighton.

    The morning was cool, around 60 and a bit cloudy, with water temps were about the same. The Aussies were just getting in as I arrived, and I got in for about 20 minutes with them. I swam a little bit to the east before reversing course and heading for the big jetty to the west. As I neared it, I noticed a parks department ATV vehicle at the surf line, stopped and seemingly talking to one of the fishermen on shore near the jetty. I guessed he was telling him he couldn’t go out on the rocks, and I thought about how lucky we were that, although official policy forbids swimming before that lifeguards come on duty at 10, we’ve never been hassled about getting in early. At the big jetty I turned around and headed back. I wanted to swim more, but thought it would be a good idea to check and see if anyone else had arrived at the meeting spot before I headed out further.

    As I got close to the starting point, I noticed the same ATV crawling slowly along shore, directly inland from me. Hmmm—maybe I wasn’t so lucky today. I was nearly back at my starting point, so I stopped and looked towards shore to see what was going on. One of the Perth swimmers was by the ATV and signaling me to come in, so I did. Once I got ashore, the parks department employee on the ATV told me there was no swimming, and that I needed to stay out of the water for 15 minutes until the life guards arrived. Ok then.

    I made my way up to the blanket, and found that everyone else had been pulled 10 minutes or so before me. I felt bad for our visitors who had come on the rare day that swimming rules were being enforced. At least there were cookies to enjoy during the interlude!

    During my time onshore I noticed a little bulge in my suit at my right ribcage. I had felt something hit the neckline of my suit while swimming, but I didn’t pay much attention---there always seem to be pieces of seaweed or little twigs that bounce off of you out at Brighton, and I’ve learned to just ignore them. But now it seemed like something had, improbably, gotten into my suit. I reached in to fish it out, and pulled out something that was silvery and a little gunky. My first thought was that it was some crumpled up duct tape that had been in the water too long and gotten mushy. But when I looked closer, I noticed a small dot at one end. Oh dear, surely that wasn’t an eye? And that looked like a tail on the other end. I didn’t want to believe it was a fish, but it was, a little silvery fish squashed dead between rib and lycra. When I first started open-water swimming this find probably would have produced hysterics, but today it was mostly funny, and just a little gross, that I had spent the last 10 minutes with a dead fish inside my suit.

    We exchanged wildlife stories and snacked (not on sushi) until the guards arrived. When I got back in, a little chilled from my time out of the water, I was joined by MIMS swimmer Giuliana and CIBBOWS pals Robert and Patti. We all swam out to the white building, where we enjoyed a meet / chat / synchro session, then swam back to the chair. I went a little past the starting point, then swam back. The water was wonderfully clear and green, and I enjoyed swimming beside Giuliana--we seemed to match our strokes effortlessly.

    When I got out I was just a little chilled—not enough to shiver, just enough to enjoy bundling up a bit. It was my favorite kind of beach weather, cool and cloudy enough to enjoy wearing clothes and picnicking after a swim while delighting in being out on the sand, all without worrying too much about sunburn. It was definitely worth taking a morning off to enjoy this!

    Updated June 7th, 2013 at 02:31 PM by swimsuit addict

  19. Enough for a picnic

    I enjoyed a pleasant workout this morning at Riverbank with Hannah. It was a relatively quiet day there; we had 5 cooperative swimmers in our long-course lane. Here’s what I did:

    1000 lcm warmup (400s 200k 200p 200 rev. IM d/s by 25)

    3 x 100 FR @ 2:00, desc.
    4 x 50 K fl/bk by 25 @ 1:30

    Sandwiches set:
    5x thru:
    • 150 (50 FR swim / 50 ST kick / 50 FR swim)
    • 150 (50 FR swim / 50 ST swim / 50 FR swim)

    Stroke = IM order for 1st 4 rounds, then 50 IM on last round

    3 x 300 pull with paddles

    100 warmdown + play
  20. 2 Bridges Swim

    I had a terrific experience yesterday at the 2 Bridges Swim in the Hudson River at Poughkeepsie. The event featured an afternoon start time, which allowed those of us from the city to catch a late-morning MetroNorth train from Grand Central. The day was gorgeous, making for a beautiful ride up, with the train tracks running along the east side of the Hudson. I always bring a book on the train, but I don’t think I read more than a few pages—mostly I chilled out and watched the river roll by during the hour-and-a-half trip up.

    I got to Poughkeepsie on the early side, and ran into my friend and Iceland teammate Amanda in the train station. We made our way down to the river together (an easy 5-minute walk from the train station.) Once there, I saw race directors Rondi and Dave and a bunch of CIBBBOWS volunteers, and made myself helpful by helping tote drinks down to the registration area. There were already a number of swimmers gathered in the pavilion, seeking relief in the shade (the race coincided with a heat wave). Susan from Maine recognized me and introduced me to her teammates Kirsten and John, and I was happy to chat with them for a bit, and admire their very cool matching swimsuits. Maybe slknight will post a picture on her blog?

    I checked in and got my number, enjoyed visiting with other swimmers and volunteers, and eventually changed into my suit and got ready to swim. Soon we all made our way down to the dock for the pre-race meeting and 3 pm start.

    Poughkeepsie has two bridges spanning the Hudson that are located just 900 meters apart. The Walkway over the Hudson, now a pedestrian span, is a restored 19th-century railroad bridge. To the south, the Mid-Hudson Bridge carries car traffic. Yesterday’s 5K race started near the midpoint of the two, on the east bank of the river, and had us swimming 2 counter-clockwise loops around each of the two bridges’ easternmost stanchions (one loop for the 2.5k). Three buoys were placed in a triangle around each of the stanchions to keep us well away from them (something about a security zone there). The race was scheduled for the slack between ebb and flood, so the tides were changing from south to north over the course of the swim.

    The race had an in-water start and an on-land official finish, though the race director requested that we honor our swim-finish order when exiting the water via the boat ramp. The race instructions were given right by the boat ramp, and while listening to them most of us swimmers were huddled into the little rectangle of shade afforded by a nearby building—it was a very sunny afternoon, with temps in the low 90s, and the swimmers in wetsuits especially were wilting a bit. I was very happy when we were allowed to enter the water for the start. The river at 65 degrees felt very refreshing. I paddled around a bit while waiting for the start countdown to begin. Near shore we were sheltered from the wind, but the flag on the pedestrian bridge was blowing stiffly, and Willie pointed out to everyone in our wave (all the 5k’ers) how the buoy we were to round before heading from the bridge was pulling northward on its anchor cable—not from the current, which was headed the other way, but from the wind—and that taking a wide berth to the south of it to avoid the cable would be wise.

    Once the race started I stayed wide of the field, which stretched out pretty quickly. At the first bridge stanchion I saw my CIBBOWS buddy Eli, but after that I didn’t see any other swimmers much for the rest of the swim. Swimming north, with the wind, was easy—gentle swells seemed to just push us along—but everyone agreed that swimming south against the wind was harder. I enjoyed the bouncy ride against the swells as they broke over me, though, and appreciated the contrast between the two as I changed directions.

    On the first lap I swam easily, and took in the sights—the church steeples rising from the town of Poughkeepsie, the bridges, the big flat barge passing by as I made rounded the Mid-Hudson Bridge stanchion for the first time. In the shadow of the bridges it was noticeably cooler. I did some backstroke in those spots, and admired their arching grace. The water seemed very clean and pleasant. About half way through the second lap I got my first taste of it and was surprised that it wasn’t salty—I’m so used to swimming in the ocean that the season’s first taste of freshwater came as a bit of a shock.

    On the second lap I picked up the pace a bit, and especially enjoyed swimming aggressively against the chop on the backstretch. The swells made it difficult to spot other swimmers, but I decided that if there were any within catching distance now would be the time to go after them. (It turned out there weren’t, or at least not any I saw, but the faster pace was ended up being enjoyable for its own sake). I took a better line on the second loop—on the first I had swung out a bit wide out into the river. As I neared the last stanchion I could tell by my progress towards it that the tide had definitely turned northward. I kept near to shore on the final stretch so that I wouldn’t have too far to go in after rounding the finish buoy.

    I stretched out on the last half-leg, and was enjoying the ride in with both the current and wind assist. As I was swimming the final stretch into shoreh, I turned over to do some backstroke, and caught sight of my friend Yuta making up ground quickly behind me, so I turned back over and swam honest freestyle to the finish, maintaining a few strokes lead. He was the first swimmer in my wave I had seen since roughly 500m into the 5k swim (I had passed by a few of the 2.5k’ers, who started after us).

    We exited carefully on the boat ramp, assisted by CIBBOWS stalwarts Tom and Patty. On shore there were bunches of excited swimmers to chat with, and more swimmers coming in to cheer for. The sky clouded over for a bit and threatened a rainstorm, but it never materialized. Soon all the finishers were in, and it was time for dinner and awards at the lovely dockside restaurant after.

    I finished up 10th overall in the non-wetsuit 5k, and 3rd woman behind Susan and Hannah. My TNYA teammate Charles won the non-wetsuit 5k overall. It was fun hanging out with everyone—swimmers, kayakers, volunteers—afterwards. I saw a lot of smiles, and it seemed like everyone had a good time. Kudos to Rondi and Dave for another exceptionally well-run event!
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast