View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Friday 07142017

by , July 14th, 2017 at 10:36 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Friday AM swim workout @ Sendero

400 w/u

4 x 75 @ 1:15 done 25 drill/25 swim/25 drill (with fins)
    4 x 75 @ 1:20, done 25 kick/25 swim/25 kick (with fins)

6 x 75 @ 1:10, build by 25

5 x 100 @ 1:30
    4 x 50 @ :45
    5 x 100 @ 1:30
    4 x 50 choice @ :50

bunch of backstroke starts

300 w/d

TTL; 3150 yards

another great workout! temp must be cooling a little more overnight, and they must be running the aerator, as the water wasn't too horrible.
    we had myself and 2 of our other core swimmers, and a guy who coaches the kids was with us too. always good to have others push you.

since I'm registered for the 50 back in the meet next week, I asked the coach to look at my back starts. I do them so rarely... between her and the guy who coaches kids, I got tons of great feedback. I really just don't want to embarrass myself too much. I could just do a push off if I feel that uncomfortable, or just scratch. but it is my last event, and just a 50 LCM, so no turns, just a start and a bunch of swimming.

speaking of the meet, the zone leaders sent out this message today:
    Swimmers - each and everyone of you has enjoyed competing in Masters meets in the past and I bet you look forwards to many more in the future. It has been a goal to provide quality venues for swimmers of all abilities to participate in and enjoy.

To continue to provide fantastic places to compete at such as the World Class Texas A&M University Natatorium, an indoor 50 meter pool, with an additional six lane 25 yard warm up/cool down pool and plenty of air conditioning and seating, we need your participation. SO, if you have not yet entered or have been on the fence about entering the LC Zones meet next week in College Station, PLEASE, make the jump, enter the meet and come on over for a great time!

We have swimmers of ALL ages and abilities entered and we want YOU to be one of them. My goal is 250 swimmers and we need 80+ more to get there.
    For once, I actually registered and am planning to go

I did swim yesterday. started at the gym after weights, but had a goggle issue (got in 100).
    after I got home I walked down to the community pool:
    500 w/u
    5 x 100
    200 w/d
    TTL: 1200 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Saturday 09192015

by , September 19th, 2015 at 06:20 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    got in a nice swim in the Mediterranean Sea in Barcelona:

We arrived in Barcelona on Wednesday, but stayed right in town for the first few days. Moved to a hotel practically right on the sea yesterday. we went for a walk along the water, and I chatted with a lifeguard about swimming.

went down today with very little...just t-shirt, shorts, sneakers, sunglasses, goggles, and a towel. left all but goggles on the beach and went in the water.
    the water felt a bit chilly at first, but once I got moving I felt fine. I'd guess the temp was about 70F.
    there's buoys a ways out, I mostly stayed about halfway between the shore and the buoys. I stayed in an area between 2 jetties and did 2 laps (I'm guessing each way was 500m, so the whole swim about 2000m).
    there were a few other people swimming a little, but no one swimming out near me, well definitely no one got in my way.
    I can't remember when I was last in salt water. the Mediterranean definitely has more salt than the Atlantic near Coney Island
    there are showers (with warm water) nearby so I was able to rinse off before going back to the hotel.

I'll probably try to get out and swim at least every morning while we're here. it is just way too convenient.
    also planning to swim in the Olympic pool at Montjuic (I swam in a warm-up pool there before but the main pool was closed).
    Tags: open water
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Sunday 08232015: Beware of Barracuda 5k

by , August 23rd, 2015 at 09:24 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    I flew into ABE last Wednesday. The trip here was quite an adventure. Evidently some storms had moved through Charlotte just before my flight landed. We were stuck on the plane for 2 hours on the ground, then my connection was delayed, about 3 hours by the time we left. I was just glad my flight didn't cancel, the, "special services," lines were crazy long!

I did this swim last year and have decided it is a great time to come in, visit family, and get in a swim while I'm here in Pennsylvania. the registration is only $25, so if the weather is crummy, or I'm not feeling great, it isn't the end of the world to skip it.
    weather today was great! I left my Mom's around 7:30, for an 8:45 start, which should have been plenty of time.
    for some reason I used Siri to guide me, which was a HUGE mistake. I had an idea where to go, and should have just trusted my instincts. Siri had me driving all over the place, what should have been a 20 min drive turned into an hour +. then I had to walk a bit from my car...got there just as they were playing the national anthem.

I did get to start with the group. I had put on my squarecut before leaving home, thankfully. grabbed my goggles, put on my timing chip, and off I went.
    the first loop was mostly just relaxing and getting a feel for the water, I felt pretty good.
    on the 2nd loop, some relay people passed me, I felt ok.
    the 3rd loop, again more relay people, then toward the end the lead guy (who won) passed me toward the end.
    my left shoulder was starting to feel sore on that 4th loop. and there was a bit of jockeying among swimmers. I think more relay people, one guy seemed like he just flew by me, and I passed a few people (I think I lapped a few, I noticed some get back in after I finished).

my guess is water temp was 75F. not bad, but I'd prefer a little cooler. last year was 72 and I thought that was better.
    my time this year was 1:33:00.3 -v- last year of 1:33:16.2. so I guess I did get my wish, I beat my time...by a hair

here's a picture I took of the lake after I finished:

It took me a good 15 min before I felt up to walking back to the car. heck after I finished I could hardly even walk.

after I got back to my Mom's, I rode with my sister, her husband, and 2 kids to the water park at Montage Mountain! more water. actually the lake felt warmer than the lazy river. we did all of the slides, some several times (her one son loves the speed slides, must have done that 10 times)
    there's a zipline there which we were thinking of doing. a woman nearby overheard us and gave us free passes! (she is a season pass holder and they get a bunch) I had never done a zipline before, and it was fun. got some great views of Scranton from up there (well as great as views of Scranton can be )

then to top off the day, we went to King's Pizza for dinner on the patio to wrap things up (my mom, another sister, and her husband joined us):
    http://www.kingspizzeria.com/

(even though Mountain Top doesn't have a large population, there's an unusually high number of pizza places in town, and most are pretty good)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Sunday 04282013

by , April 29th, 2013 at 12:20 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    well I survived another work trip, but unfortunately didn't get in a single workout. days were long, starting by 7am, and mostly going until 9pm+. I was in San Diego working an event, which ended up going extremely well. I think our kickoff dinner on the USS Midway was simply incredible. Even though I was working it, I did get to mix/mingle with some folks who I know, I ate plenty, and had a few glasses of wine. our finale award ceremony and gala dinner on Friday night were both incredible. Our company CEO was able to pop in for the award ceremony...I have no idea how he does all this stuff...plus had a shareholder/quarterly earnings meeting earlier in the week, meets with the President regularly, etc. I posted the picture of the dessert on Facebook, it was incredible
    unfortunately, I imbibed a bit too much wine on Friday night. I hadn't done that for several years... I don't even know how many glasses, but I was in a sad state by the time I made it up to my room, and even sadder while trying to work the breakfast shift the next morning. somehow I made it through, put everything in my suitcase, and flew back Sat afternoon.

I really debated if I'd sleep in or just bike this morning. I still wasn't back to 100% (yea I was that bad), but I figured I could at least do an easy spin around Ahwatukee. I did a bit more than that, but not much...

ATM + Saddle 69.53 mi 03:55 17.7mph pace

Certainly not my best ride. I was feeling a week of travel, being on my feet, etc (and a little drinking Friday night still). Was glad I got out to ride, but when I got to SoMo, I realized yea I could make it to the towers, but why kill myself doing it...so I turned around at the saddle. Was with a bunch of people off/on for the way back which helped.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/51212937

yea I wimped out. I could have gone to the TV Towers, but after getting halfway up, my stomach wasn't happy (not to mention my legs and body in general), so I turned around and headed back.
    oddly, I was with a guy for a while on the way back who was very chatty. he asked me how my ride was, and I said, "Ehhh," then I asked about his and he said, "South Mountain was very nice to me today."
    oh well, not every ride (or swim, or run) is going to feel like a million dollars.
    that said, any ride when I get home in one piece is a good ride. a friend of mine crashed this morning, had a hospital visit for x-rays, CT scan, stitches, etc. he won't be riding for at least a few weeks.

later today I went over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a solo swim.
    did my 5 x 600 theme:

600 w/u

6 x 100 kick @ 1:50, w/board and fins
    each done 50 flutter/50 dolphin, really working the walls

6 x 100 @ 1:30, desc 1-3/4-6
    3 was about 1:15, 6 around 1:12

3 x 200 pull @ 2:45, w/paddles + buoy

12 x 50--
    * odds: free @ :50, mostly recovery
    * evens: breast @ 1:00, descending 1-3/4-6, really working the walls/turns (last was about 40)

100 easy

100 fast free for time, 1:08

200 w/d

about 10-15 min stretching in the hot tub

100 very very easy final cool down

TTL: 3500 yards

this was a pretty good swim! there were a few others actually swimming too, which always helps. I got my fav lane, which of course I like too.

after watching tv, napping, and basically vegging most of the afternoon, I felt so much better and was glad I gave the swim a shot.

tomorrow is an off/recovery day. I just have to see if I have anything on my calendar. otherwise, I plan to sleep in until 7ish, do a short run (2-3 miles), go to the noon swim workout, and maybe even lift tomorrow night.
    there's a splash & dash on May 2 (I think), 1500m swim and 5k run. I could just do the swim, but figure I should at least give the run a shot....back 2-3 years ago, a 5k would barely be a warm-up run for me.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Tuesday 03052013

by , March 6th, 2013 at 12:13 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Tues AM sprint swim workout @ Kino

300 w/u (thankfully)

100 blocks for time

10 x 50 @ :10 rest, active recovery

2 x 50 blocks for time, first free, 2nd non-free

8 x 50 @ :10 rest, active recovery

4 x 25 blocks for time, w/easy 25 in between. I did them IMO

6 x 50 @ :10 rest, active recovery

100 w/fins for time (I swam it, free)

4 x 50 @ :10 rest, active recovery

2 x 50 w/fins for time (swam them, first free, 2nd back)

2 x 50 @ :10 rest, active recovery

4 x 25 w/fins for time, w/easy 25 in between each. I did them IMO (did a dolphin kick for breast)

200 w/d

TTL: 2800 yards

I was really glad I was there a little early and got in something. Paul was trying to phrase it like a big cat, how they just sit there eying their prey, then pounce, without warmup. but I'm not a cat, and getting old, so I need a little warmup.

my right ankle was a bit sensitive...a little tweaked from last night's run. I probably took the swims a little easier, just didn't want to do anything to it. but as Leslie has told me, doing fin swims helps--and it certainly did today also.
    none of my times were overly impressive, even for me, but I've been slower. my first 100 was 1:07.5, and a little faster w/fins.

the easy swims were pretty much anything. I started out doing a mix of swims, did some kicking, some pulling, etc.

was supposed to meet a friend to ride out in Ahwatukee this afternoon. he bailed on me, but I went anyway:

Ahwatukee spin 43.28 mi 02:23 18.1mph pace

Was supposed to meet up with a friend, but stuff came up and he couldn't make it. I debated if I'd just ride from home, but decided to keep to the plan of Ahwatukee, and got in much more climbing then I would from home. Did 2 full loops around the hills (crested the big hill 4 times). Then did a little spin out to the Sheraton to wrap things up. Was going to call it a ride, but I saw a tri guy doing repeats along Willis, figured I could use a little speedwork and miles, so I did another loop with him. Fantastic weather, 75-80F, a hint of a breeze, and kinda overcast (which was a good thing).
    http://app.strava.com/activities/43321520

turned into a really nice ride! I'm really enjoying our great weather right now
    (sorry for those who are getting that nasty storm)

well I had a choice of swimming the USMS AZ State meet in Oro Valley (near Tucson), or riding in el Tour de Mesa. They're the same weekend, and I think the same thing happened last year.
    I took the local option, and I'll be riding el Tour de Mesa, just registered tonight. I did it last year and really liked it, well other than the flat I got. we have so few organized rides here (yes, even less than USMS swim meets), so I'm trying to take advantage of them.
    my team actually has a swim meet that next weekend. I had thought I'd be out of town for work, but now it looks like I'll be here, so I'll probably do it. and that one is LCM (I love LCM!)

I'm even considering a family visit and work in this ride, back in PA:
    http://www.tourdechocolatetown.com/
    I went to Hershey Park after a sister's wedding, I think in 1999, and it was kinda cool.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Sunday 07012012: o/w at Brighton

by , July 1st, 2012 at 04:49 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    we went out to Brighton Beach this morning so I could meet up with some of the CIBBOWS swimmers.
    Thankfully I went there last year with a wonderful guide, we had walked all the way from the Coney Island subway station to the meeting place near Grimaldi's chair.

today we took the subway to the NYC Aquarium stop, which is a touch closer...but I had no idea the crowds I'd expect on the beach.
    within 2 min of getting on the boardwalk, my other half decided it was too warm and he said he'd go back to the hotel. I pressed on, and in 2-3 min he called and told me that he was going to the Aquarium.

So I walked on...I remembered the meeting place was just past the restrooms. Eventually I got to the restrooms, then cut over toward the guard stand (there were actually guards there today -v- last Sep). even down here the beach was rather busy. I saw a group of gals and guys in speedos and figured this was the group (thankfully the speedos give away real swimmers).

I found the group
    some people had just come in, I don't remember their names. I was just going to go out solo, when another guy said he was going out. so Christian and I swam out toward the White Building. he said he was slower (everyone knows swimsuit addict; I just say I'm about the same speed).

we got to the water, and even with 90-95F air temps the water felt rather brisk. it is far easier to jump off a boat, get the whole shock over with at once. as we walked in, we saw a couple of others coming out, and another group going out (they said they were really slow and just going over 2 jettys).

eventually I put on my goggles and cap (the one I got from Statue of Liberty), and dove in. yea it was cold, but the cap helped, and compared with the air it felt fantastic.

initially Christian was rather fast. maybe the cool water mixed with adrenaline, who knows. I felt like calling him out, but after ~5 min, he started to slow, which was fine by me. I moved on ahead, stopping about every min or so, did some breaststroke/backstroke. we ran into a couple of other groups enroute to the White Bldg (I nearly ran into a gal). I saw a lifeguard out on a surfboard (I later found out that wearing a cap and actually swimming lets the swimmers avoid their plea to say in the set area).
    we were mostly against the current going out, between that and just taking an easy swim it probably took a good 15 min or so (roughly 1/2 mile).

I went a bit past the white building, but Christian stopped exactly on-point, so I swam back to chat with him. I tried to twist his arm to go further with me, but he wouldn't budge. so after a min or 2, I decided I'd swim on to the next beach, he went back. but he did tell me to be careful, not stray too far from shore, and off I went.

the beach (Manhattan beach) looked deceptively close to the white building...but in reality it wasn't. I'd certainly say more than 1/2 mile, but who knows. especially going past a jetty into the beach proper, I was really fighting the current...but I knew the beach was so close.

eventually my hands started to brush the sand as I was swimming, so I decided to stand up and walk a bit. it was as if I landed in another country, everyone around me was speaking Russian! the people seemed a mix of surprised/oblivious to suddenly see me appear out of the water.
    there was a lifeguard over on the jetty trying to keep swimmers within the set area. I considered going up and telling him that I'd go back to Brighton...but then I thought I'd just be bothering him anyway.

I walked around in the beach area, but I never got totally out of the water. so according to Christian (later), I didn't 'offically' land, but I'm counting it as a landing.

after 3-5 min of walking in the shallow water (down to my knees roughly), I decided to head back. I didn't hear the lifeguard, but between the water and wearing a cap, who knows if he tried to scold me.

the trip back to the White Bldg was super fast. all that fighting the current to go up rewarded me with a good float, pretty much a ride, on the way back. it felt like I was back there in half the time.

I paused a bit around the White Bldg, looking for other swimmers with caps. saw none, so I figured I'd head back to Grimaldi's chair. I got about halfway back when I saw a gal (pink cap) and a guy (no cap, and I gave him a hard time for it) swimming out to the White Bldg. we stopped and chatted briefly, then I decided to tag along with them. she was moving rather swiftly--I had to push a little to keep up, and it looked like the guy was dragging behind.

so we got back to the White Bldg, stopped for a min or 2, chatted (I got their names, the guy's name was Hugh, can't remember the gal's), then we headed back. between the current and her speed, this gal really flew back down the beach. I had to up my game to keep up. eventually I decided to just go behind and to the left, use her for sighting, and it was a far easier ride back. I stopped a few times to look for the guy--it took longer to spot him without a cap. between upping the speed and swimming with the current, we got back super fast.

we landed and went up the beach to Grimaldi's chair. there were still a bunch of people there, some going out (they tried to get me to go down to the Coney Island pier). the sand was SUPER HOT, I felt like I was burning my feet just walking.

I got back, found my backpack, chatted a few (Christian came over to make sure i made it back ok). the couple I swam with quickly went over to shower off, and after checking my phone I quickly followed.

not sure on exact distance, but I'm estimating 3 miles.

here's what the beach looked like, from just behind Grimaldi's chair, right before I got in the water:

Updated July 1st, 2012 at 04:56 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Tuesday 02142012: Arizona Statehood Day

by , February 14th, 2012 at 05:34 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    on February 14, 1912, President William Howard Taft signed the statehood paperwork to make Arizona the 48th state in the United States

http://www.az100years.org/
    there's tons of stuff happening in downtown Phoenix today, but I'm too busy working to partake.
    but I will (hopefully) participate in some of the events for the city of Chandler's 100th anniversary in the next month, including a metric century ride:
    http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=454

thanks to all of you who replied to my last post last week. figures when I'm not paying attention I get some replies to a blog entry...

anyway, I have been working out, but mostly just my usual evening weights. I've been subbing in what had been running with the Hoggan machine (basically a bike for hands) and the stationary bikes.
    last night I actually hopped on the treadmill, did a 7 min walk with a 30 sec burst of a jog mixed in.

I did a very short swim on Sunday at the gym (700 yards), most of it walking across the pool. but that got boring fast, so I tried little bits of swimming. it felt ok, so this morning I went back to the gym for more--

300 swim
    100 water walk
    200 swim
    100 water walk
    500 pull w/buoy only
    100 water walk
    300 pull w/buoy + large paddles
    100 water walk
    4 x 50 breast w/buoy + small paddles
    200 pull w/buoy + large paddles
    100 swim

TTL: 2500 yards

intervals were exceptionally generous, I mostly ignored the clock. the pace clock is broken again anyway (big surprise), but I was in the water for 45 min.
    when I did a 100 water walk it was always 25 forward/25 backward/25 side/25 side. the side walking reminds me of using bands on land.

I tried the last 50 breast with an actual breast kick, but that wasn't going to work. from what I remember, the breast kick is one of the last things to come back after ankle injuries, I'd guess another 2-3 weeks. even then it will feel odd for a while (if it already doesn't feel odd)

the scabs are mostly gone (just a little of a gouge on my right knee), and the ankle is definitely on the mend. may be able to do a team swim workout later this week, or may just start fresh next Monday. it does feel very awkward putting my foot in the swimming mode, after having it in a brace for a while.

a great thing about the gym pool now is that it is shallow, so I can walk, and there are nice stairs, so I don't have to flop around to get out.

to answer some questions from before--

* yes there are ladders and stairs at Kino. the ladders are about mid-way down the pool (my equipment was on the bulkhead). the stairs are at the far end (50m away), and that part of the pool may be covered when it is cold. in retrospect, it probably would have been better to use a ladder. the bulkhead is a good 6" (maybe even a foot) above the waterline. it sounds like they're now back to SCY, which means just the flow-over walls, which shouldn't be a problem.

* I wore my walking boot (the same one from when I broke the foot) for 1-2 days after injury, when I absolutely had to walk, otherwise I was laying on the couch for 3 days. I got a really nice brace from the doctor last week, which really helped (that and another round of prednisol, which took away the remaining swelling).

* I added Tegaderm to my Amazon shopping cart, the 4" x 4-3/4" size. My first aid kit has grown leaps and bounds in the past weeks. I've gone through about 1-1/2 tubes of Neosporin, and countless bandages (started with large, and still using a small one).

* I'm up to 4 x 20 leg raises on the captain's chair. but with the ankle brace adding some weight I think that is more like 22
    It is amazing how so many core exercises and machines rely on your feet. these, bicycles (3 x 50) and plain old crunches (3 x 100) have been my staple for the past few weeks (well once I was able to do much of anything).
    I could probably do stuff on a Bosu ball, but I'd probably fall off and hurt myself even more
    I'll be happy when I can get back to planks. but I'd guess another week or 2.

* I've really been itching to bike again. I could probably actually do the cycling part fine, I've done it fine on stationary bikes at the gym. it is the stopping part I'm afraid of right now. I lean left when I stop, and with the left ankle suspect, I may fall over. I may try a short ride this weekend (mostly a loop with right turns, limiting stops)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Mon PM & Tues 1107-11082011 workouts

by , November 9th, 2011 at 12:50 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview after work last night--

Tmill: 24 min, 298 cal, 2.62 miles, avg 6.5 mph
    2 min warmup
    3 min at 6.6-6.7
    2 min at 6.8-7.3
    1 min at 7.4-7.5
    2 min warm down

Leg rolling: 6 min

Plank w forearms on green Swiss ball: 2 x 1-1/2 min

Incline bench: 3 x 10 x 135, 1 x 8 x 155

Triceps skull crushers: 4 x 10 x 70 + 5

Free motion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 70, 1 x 12 x 80, 1 x 10 x 85, 1 x 10 x 90, 1 x 8 x 95

Hanging leg raises: 2 x 12, 1 x 15

after reading Leslie's blog and she was doing skull crushers with 60, I had to increase. really fried my triceps, but I guess that's the point.
    those hanging leg raises were quite a struggle, especially the last few to make 15 on round 3.

after a long day of work meetings (and being on my feet a bit) across town, I went back to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview tonight! focus was supposed to be a treadmill run & a swim....

Tmill: 54 min, 709 cal, 6.18 miles, avg 6.8 mph
    2 min warmup
    5 min for 6.6 to 7.3 mph
    4 min for 7.4 to 7.5 mph
    2 min at 7.6 mph
    2 min warm down

Leg rolling: 5 min

Pullups: 3 x 10

gym was busy, and treadmills were too, though not quite full. I found one that had the silly error message. went to the other side, turned it off/turned it back on. the gal on the machine next to me was very interested.
    anyway, I was just going to do 5 min at each speed, but I wanted to do a little more in less time at the end. but it worked pretty well.

changed, went in the pool (SCM)--
    400 w/u

50 breast
    200 pull (paddles + buoy)
    50 breast
    200 pull (paddles + buoy)
    50 breast

200 w/d

TTL: 1150m

I had wanted to do about 2k, but didn't quite have enough time, and I was pretty tired and sore by the time I got in the water. I was really feeling those 200 yd pulls I did yesterday morning, and I guess my chest weights from last night too.
    start out splitting a lane with a gal, but these lanes are pretty wide so it wasn't a big deal. water temp felt great.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Monday 04192011 workouts

by , April 19th, 2011 at 01:33 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Went over to Eldorado pool for a mostly recovery swim this morning (I did a little leg rolling and plank before I left home)--

800 warmup
    300 kick, 50 free/25 breast

700 pull, 75 free/25 back
    6 x 50 @ :10 rest. Odds 50 rudder drill, evens 25 kayak drill/25 kick

600 swim, 75 free/25 breast
    6 x 50 @ 1:00, 25 right arm only/25 left only. Odds non swimming hand forward, evens at side

500 pull, 75 free/25 back/75 free/25 breast
    6 x 50 breast @ 1:00

400 free....around 90%, 5:08

200 warmdown

TTL: 4400 yards

Rudder drill is kickboard between legs, try to keep it straight up.
    Kayak drill is backstroke, holding a kickboard on opposite corners, paddling with the killckboard

Mostly just a stretch/recovery set. Didn't really look at the clock until well past 1/2.
    Water felt a bit warm, I guess 83+, especially compared with my backyard pool which is in the mid-70s.
    Was hoping to go under 5:00 for that 400...maybe I'll re-try that later in the week. I know I've done a 400 in 4:50 before, and that was in the ASU Rec Center pool, so 5:00 should be pretty do-able for me.

then stopped by the gym (Mesa 24 Hour) on my way home from work---
    Tmill: 21:00, 300.6 cal, 2.62 miles, avg 7.5 mph
    Started on a machine that stopped every min, gave up after 3 tries. Then was on a machine I don't like, shoe came untied. Spied a machine I like and switched. Of course after a min the other shoe came untied...
    Did 2 min at 7.5, 3 at 7.6, 3 at 7.7, then 2 at 7.8, build up to 8.4 by min, warmdown

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 12 x 90, 2 x 10 x 160, 2 x 8 x 180
    Biceps preacher curls: 1 x 12 x 80, 1 x 10 x 85, 2 x 9 x 90, 2 x 8 x 95
    Hammer strength seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 10 x 180, 2 x 6 x 200
    Hoist roc it biceps curl: 1 x 12 x 77, 1 x 10 x 88, 2 x 8 x 97
    Leg raise: 3 x 15
    Wall squats w green Swiss ball: 3 x 10 x 30
    Plank w forearms on green Swiss ball: 2 x 1:30
    Leg rolling: 3 min

definitely not my day for a treadmill. the odd thing is, once I got going I was mostly fine. I was wearing my oldest/highest mileage shoes, my first pair of Nike Lunar Gildes, they have just over 300 miles on them now. maybe they're cursed. If I add in the other 2 tmill distances, it is probably .4 extra miles.
    I'm kind of liking this somewhat focused weights thing. first I don't have to rush through stuff just to get everything in. secondly, I can do 2 or more lifts of a muscle group, not just one. we'll see how it goes.

on the home front, my other half got some sort of major food poisoning or something going on. started getting sick late yesterday, and slept all day today. I was glad I was going to the office, don't need to get involved in all that. but the poor dog was really jumping when I got home. I took her out for a short walk.

I'm really glad I took my run yesterday a bit slower. 10 sec/mile may not seem like that much, but it makes a huge difference in recovery. maybe going in the backyard pool and icing helped, but I'd think all the work I did on the pool would have countered that. I was able to do a pace run tonight, something I haven't done on a Monday for a while.

planning another morning swim at Eldorado. I would do a track session tomorrow night, but I think I'll skip that until after my race. it just takes me too long to recover from those. high is supposed to be 90, so shouldn't be horrible for an after work run....the Tempe Town Lake/Papago/Botanical Garden circuit.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Tuesday 02082011 workouts

by , February 9th, 2011 at 01:20 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went for another solo swim this morning at the Tempe 24 Hour Fitness (SCM). I was inspired by a workout I did with the team last May, but that was LCM, so I adjusted the intervals.

600 w/u

2 rounds of--
    100 smooth, focus on perfect stroke
    2 x 75 @ :10 rest, drill/scull/build

100 easy

1 x 400 (came in around 6min), right into
    2 x 50 kick (board only) @ :10 rest, FAST/easy

2 x 200 @ 3:05 (came in at 2:52, 2:56), right into

4 x 100 @ 1:30 (came in between 1:22 and 1:28), right into

8 x 50 @ :45, just make..right into

100 easy
    400 pull, 75 free/25 back/75 free/25 breast

200 w/d

TTL: 3900m

notes--
    * got a good lane and the pool water felt a little chilly at first (a good sign). I usually step in the dry sauna for a minute before jumping in, to warm up/stretch (and tie my suits)
    * when I did the set before, we just did the 200/100/50 portion, but with the right into fast kick portion (Paul likes that).
    * I'm learning what intervals work for me for SCM; funny even though ASU could have setup Mona Plummer SCM, in all the years I swam there I probably trained it maybe a dozen times. I figure if I can hold a 1:30 interval, then I'm not doing too bad (wasn't too long ago when 1:30 for SCY was my standard).
    * I felt pretty good after this, but by 4pm, I was pretty drained. think I may have overdone things a little...and I was regretting that I swam so much when running after work

then I did make it for a run after work...
    Time: 00:57:29
    Distance: 6.64 mi
    Elevation Gain: 229 ft
    Calories: 890 C
    Avg Pace: 08:39 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:34 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/67363006

notes--
    * just really took me a while to get into this run, was about mile 4 when I started to feel like continuing. prior to that, I was thinking of reasons to bail, but I had met my running partner...odd thing is, he told me the same thing after. my legs were still a bit sore from my 20 miler on Sunday.
    * think it is something about running after work -v- before. I never really have breathing problems on Sundays when I run from home. could be the part of town too, I think pollution is worse in-town than near home.
    * weather was ok...temp in the low 60s, but very windy (which could have impacted breathing).
    * glad I stuck with it, miles 4-5-6 were decent, with a very sprinty finish for that last .6 mile.

there are 2 swim meets I'm considering--
    * Sun Devil Masters SCY meet, March 6
    http://www.azlmsc.org/eventFlyers/20...tersInvite.pdf
    * Mesa/Kino masters SCY meet (AZ LMSC state meet), April 1-2-3
    [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=18200"]Southwest Zone-Arizona State Championship Meet - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

I would just do 1 option, if that, and I'm not too happy with the event lineup at either. I'm leaning more toward #2, doing the 1000 Friday night, then the 200/50 breast and 100 free on Sunday (maybe 1 other on Sunday). My problem is that my running will be peaking around then for my race on May 1, and I'd have to run that Saturday. But peaking for a half isn't as drastic as for a full, maybe 12-14 miles is all...long slow running.
    The March option just doesn't look too appealing, and I may be out of town that weekend. The schedule has most free and breast back-to-back, and the 200 breast near the end (the Kino option has it early on Sunday, but I wouldn't do the 500 free then 200 breast).

I need to take a look at my blog for some ideas for tomorrow's swim. I'm thinking of a mix of a little tough, maybe some drills, and a little recovery. may not make it to the gym...my tri friend I do my Friday swims with said he may have Suns tickets, been ages since I've gone to a Suns game.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Sunday 01162011, back to life?

by , January 16th, 2011 at 01:04 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    it had been since Monday 1/10 that I did anything workout-related, but I hardly count that right now. I swam (3800m) and ran (11.87 very slow miles), but I think I was delirious, especially on the run, as my pace was somewhere around 9:20.

anyway, I caught something that set me back quite a bit. not sure if it was the flu, but certainly flu-like, with fever, coughing, sneezing, stuffy head, overall body soreness, etc. thankfully I am able to work from home, and did that Wed-Friday. by late Thursday, I had enough and went to the urgent care. the doctor prescribed an antibiotic and some prescription cough syrup.

today I decided to go out for a little run.
    I did have my Garmin, but it died somewhere around 3.5 miles. took the dog with me, but she wasn't feeling too well (I won't go into detail on that). I think I ran around 4 miles, held around 8:35 pace overall.

at this point, I'm not sure if I'll still do the marathon I signed up for next month, switch to the half, or just skip it entirely. around 2 years ago, I caught something horrible while on vacation, didn't run at all for 3 weeks, and still managed to finish (though it wasn't pretty) the Phoenix marathon around a month later. my training has been much better this time, so I might be ok.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Sunday 10102010: long run

by , October 10th, 2010 at 05:17 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    got out for my long run this morning. life certainly changes for you with a dog. as soon as I get up, she immediately goes into, "play," mode, running all over the place. at least I didn't trip over her this morning.

the run info--

Time: 02:15:03
    Distance: 15.02 mi
    Elevation Gain: 17 ft
    Calories: 2,004 C
    Avg Pace: 08:59 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:56 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/52416117

notes--
    * was still dark when I started, and a little chilly/crisp out. I'd guess around 65. saw a spectacular sunrise over the Superstition Mountains around 2-3 miles into the run.
    * hardly saw a soul for the first 2-3 miles while it was dark. I kind of like that feeling, like the trail is all mine...
    * this was a totally solo run (no dog yet, she has to gain a little more weight), along the canal near home, a Northerly route this time. I had a goal set to get to Guadalupe (around 12-13 miles), but a soft goal to go to Baseline (around 15 miles).
    * after I crossed Ray Rd, the floodgates of other runners opened. this seems to always happen at the narrowest portions of the trail, I ran into a group of 15-20, they were spread 4 across, right where it narrowed.
    * I used my 'long run' playlist, but was rather uninspired by the music. there were a couple of good songs, but nothing really got me pumped or excited...and my pace certainly showed it. I'll attach the playlist, again the beginning is at the bottom, what I finished with at the top.
    * since I wasn't going too fast, I decided to go to Baseline...it is easier to run farther when I'm not beating myself up on speed. but then about a mile after I turned around my right foot felt like it was swelling again. nothing terribly painful, just tightness around my arch. but I'm sure this had something to do with my speed.
    * I made a rare pit stop at a gas station, at Gilbert/Warner. the counter guy seemed totally unphased by me asking where the restroom was, and I'm sure I wasn't the first--or last--to do that today. I can usually hold out for the park, but that was 2 miles further.
    * saw a couple of 'regular' runners out. I think with the cooler weather people are starting to sleep in. I may a little...but for going out to eat breakfast, it is much easier to run early.

on the dog front, she is nearly terrified of my 13 year old orange cat, who weighs no more than 9 pounds. he wants things to go back to normal, and climbs up on my lap while I watch tv, while the dog gets extremely jealous. to taunt her, the cat will even eat her food, drink her water, play with her toys, and I caught him sleeping in her kennel.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	playlist_10102010.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	6528  
  13. Friday 08062010

by , August 6th, 2010 at 07:00 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Blogging from my iphone so i apologize if this doesn't look pretty or if there's typos.
    lMade it to swim workout this morning with the team, Mesa kino aquatic center, scy
    Paul and Sheila were on deck, I was in one of Paul's groups

Was the first one there and first in the water, got in 1000 wu various

16 x 25 @ :30
    50 easy
    12 x 50 @ 1:00, 2 dps, 1 at 200 pace
    100 easy

T-30 (quite a surprise!)
    Did 2300 yds in the 30 min

100 wd

Total: 4550 yds

Quick notes--
    There were at least 3 choices, but it had been a long time since I've done a true distance set, so I went with it.
    Water was on the warm side and aerators not turned on.
    We had about 10 people do this set. Lindsay, the big fly gal, swam it, I told her ahead if time....you know this is distance? She's training for the Maui channel an Waikiki roughwater swims later this year so she said she'd better get used to it. Surprisingly, I stayed within 15-20 yds of her the whole time.

Arrived in Portland earlier and it is so nice being able to just stroll around outside. Temp is around 70ish. Plan to check out the downtown area today, maybe spend some time at Powell's books before dinner at huber's. Then of course my flyertalk forum run in the morning....
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Monday 03/01/2010: AM Swim & PM Gym

by , March 2nd, 2010 at 01:14 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Made it to swim this morning with the team, Kino Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ), SCY
    Laura Smith was on deck coaching solo (Paul in Denver)

got in around 400 warm-up choice
    200 swim
    200 pull
    200 kick
    12 x (100 @ 1:30, 50 @ 1:00)
    400 pull
    4 x 25 scull @ :45
    200 warm-down

total: 3500 yards

notes--
    * never realized how animated and loud Paul is; Laura is still a great coach but without all the drama of Paul
    * Laura stressed that Monday is NOT yoga Monday, but aerobic Monday. She said Thursdays are yoga Thursdays (I think she's upset not many people swim Thursdays)
    * on the set of 12 100s/50s, the 100s were easy, 50s supposed to be fast. I just didn't have much speed in me though.
    * at one point Laura asked me how my weekend was, I said good...then she asked me how I was feeling, said the same, and she told me I'm a horrible actor.
    * several people asked me afterward if I was ok. my legs really didn't feel too good, but the swim was good to stretch them out.

had several people at work ask if I was ok...I wasn't quite limping around, but more walking like Frankenstein around the bldg...once I'm up and walking it isn't bad, but just getting there was tough.
    woke up during the night last night with my legs sweating like crazy the sheets all sopping wet. I'm tempted to either put them in an ice bath tonight or just in the backyard pool; don't know if I could tolerate either for very long.

went to the gym after work (probably shouldn't have), and did this--
    Treadmill: 4:00, 30.5 cal, .3 mile
    Elliptical: 10:00, 122 cal, 1.04 mile, crossramp 8, resistance 7
    Step ups forward w 25 lb dumbbells: 2 x 10
    Step ups lateral: 2 x 10
    Step downs: 2 x 10
    Bench: 1 x 15 x 45, 3 x 10 x 135, 2 x 8 x 156
    Dumbbell flys: 1 x 15 x 40, 3 x 10 x 60
    Hammer strength seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 180, 1 x 10 x 200
    Lifefitness shoulder press: 2 x 10 x 80
    Flexfitness dip machine: 1 x 15 x 165, 2 x 10 x 225
    Lifefitness biceps curl: 1 x 15 x 50, 2 x 12 x 110
    Lifefitness triceps extension: 1 x 15 x 50, 2 x 12 x 95
    Hammer strength abs crunch: 1 x 30 x 120, 2 x 25 x 130
    Leg raise: 3 x 15

gym notes--
    * while entering the gym, there was a trainer gal doing body fat analysis, I figured what the heck. they had a digital hand-held thing that gave me 14.4%. then she used calipers, on my right bicep, triceps, at my hip, and I think 1 more but I can't remember....that had me around 16%. she was really surprised, I think I was her lowest all day. she did talk diet, asked about protein, etc.
    * now I should NOT have even attempted the treadmill, I don't know what I was thinking. what had been a dull pain before was very sharp when I went beyond a walk. so I stopped and moved to the elliptical, which was much more tolerable.
    * the stool stuff was things I had done in PT, and Leslie suggested something like my step-down, but hers was much more difficult. not surprisingly, my right leg (with the sprained ankle) was stronger. after i was done though, my legs did feel a bit better, and I was able to walk mostly normally.
    * for my bench, I asked for a spot on the first at 155. then I was sitting there, kind of recovering, debating if I wanted to do another round, when another guy asked if I needed a spot, so I did it.

I am planning to swim in the morning, and have stuff ready to run after work, but the chance of running is slim. If I run, I'll just stick to the main trails near Town Lake. maybe 4 miles at a slow pace if I can do it. I'd rather run outside though; my gait is different on a treadmill, and I think that was part of why my legs got all in a funk.

I did call and got an appt to see my massage therapist on Wed, 8am. I'm hoping that will help work out the rest of the kinks from my legs. I'm thinking of taking a break from biking for a while until the legs are better.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Mon Nov 30: update from Munich

by , November 30th, 2009 at 05:04 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    No formal working out yet, but here's a quick recap of the trip so far--

* left home almost 30 min later than planned (not my fault tho), the United counter at PHX had 3 people working to check-in people for flights to both SFO and ORD, and seemed everyone was going someplace exotic (either Europe or Asia). We got to the gate with just minutes to spare before boarding (no time for the lounge)

* flight got into ORD around 20 min early. The gate for the next flight was just across the hall, and we had 5 hours to kill. Spent around 2-1/2 hours in the lounge, I checked out blogs here, played around on Facebook, Flyertalk, email, etc. We decided to walk over to UA's B gates, were sitting eating @ Wolfgang Puck's, when we saw a guy getting arrested (and he resisted). Such craziness (saw someone get Tasered at LAX a few years ago too!)

* everything was good with getting on the plane to Munich, etc. We were in biz (tricky process with trading miles), I was in my seat, and see the woman across from me struggling to put her carryon in the overhead. Me being nice, I get up and do it. I sit back down, and my seat feels wet. Somehow getting up or sitting down I spilled my pre-departure champagne. I caught it early enough, used my blanket as a towell, and threw the pillow on the floor. The FA came by and I told her what happened, and she brought a fresh pillow, blanket, and another drink.

* I either sleep like a baby on these long flights or not well at all. I thought maybe drinking would help...but it all backfired. The champagne was free-flowing, and I drank it all, and some Kahula after dinner. Then I stared at the map that said where we were at. Somewhere around Greenland I drifted off, and woke up and we were approaching Wales. Maybe about 2 hours. At that point they turned the lights on in coach (they're a bit more gentle in biz). I had put on track pants earlier in the flight (highly recommend this), and I changed back to my jeans. Our breakfast came soon after.

* Arrival, customs, immigration, and transport to town were all a breeze. I've been to Germany about 5 times over the past 2 years (PM if you want to know more), and Munich just in Feb, so I'm nearly an expert...but this time with someone. The major sticking point was our room wasn't ready for a long time. We're at the Hilton-City (great location, right above the S-bahn). So we went out to Marienplatz for a bit, came back, showered, then went to the Olympic site and BMW Welt.

* After seeing the pool again, we went up the tower around 4pm, just before sunset (I don't know how you people who live up north do this). Then went in BMW Welt. I've been here 2 years ago, and ever since said my next vehicle would be an X3 (currently have a Saturn Vue). Asked about tickets for a plant tour and got setup for today.

* I hate to say, but we just grabbed McD's last night, and I hate that, not just missing real food, but it just didn't sit well with me. I fell asleep around 8pm, woke around 2am and had trouble sleeping after.

* Mon--visited the Schloss Nyphenberg and did the BMW tour. I had been to the Schloss in Feb, but got there just before closing. It was nice to see it without bitter cold and snow (that was a horrible trip). The BMW tour was fantastic...started in the Welt with a video, then over to the plant, to the sheet metal area, and through all the places for assembly, painting, and the final bit. All in walked about 3 miles or so today!

* I somehow forgot to bring any swim stuff with me. Odd, as how it takes up such little space, and I bring it on almost every trip, and I brought plenty of running stuff (including my Garmin). So stopped and picked up a suit and goggles (I hadn't seen Adidas swimwear for a while). Hoping to get to the Olympic pool sometime tomorrow.

Along with a swim tomorrow, maybe I'll get in a run. We're heading to Dachau early, depending when we get back will depend what I can do. Then Wed we have an afternoon flight to Berlin (thankfully that's just an hour flight).
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Ankle update

by , August 27th, 2009 at 11:47 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Finally got in to see my doctor yesterday. The visit as a whole was pretty worthless; he looked at it, but I don't think he even touched my foot at all. I stood firm on wanting physical therapy; he was more along the lines of get an x-ray, then MRI, then PT. But he relented and gave me the PT referral. I did get an x-ray, haven't heard back yet. I'll try to call tomorrow, as I should probably go forward with the MRI.

Went to PT today. I went to PT ages ago; while in the Army in Monterey, CA, a large group of us went on a skiing trip to Lake Tahoe (2 bus fulls I think). I fell and hurt my knee pretty bad. Went on sick call after, and they sent me to PT; was a bit of a PITA as I had to get over to Ft Ord for it, but I remember it was very successful.

Today's was a bit different. I met the therapist, we chatted about 30 min. I told her that I'm sure I did some things wrong, but I can't go back and change it. I just want to do the right things from here on out so I can move forward and get running again. The therapy started with a soak in an 85F degree whirlpool, flexing up/down. (after the whirlpool she said, "Oh, you have a foot!" and I replied, "yea, looked more like a cankle.") Then she did all the tests...how far I can flex up/down/left/right. Then she did measurements (my right ankle is about 1" bigger than the left). She concluded it was between a class 2 and 3 sprain (where 1 is minor and 5 is not able to walk).

Then the real fun began...started out more like a massage, but it went into the painful areas. I told her I trust her to do what needs to happen...otherwise I'd be hitting her. After that, we did some exercises (writing the alphabet, some pulling, using a roller, and a balancing board). I finished up with an awesome ice wrap. All together I was there over 2 hours.

When I left, I felt like I was somewhat normal again. But around 5 or so the soreness started to hit. I iced again around 5, and am icing again now. I'm scheduled to go back on Monday, and scheduled out 3x week for the next 3 weeks.

If things go well, I'll be able to lift weights on Monday No free weights, just machines, but that's good news. Sounds like a week after that before I can get back in the pool. She said we may try out some bikes late next week.

Of course at this point, my October marathon is nearly out of the question. Still an outside chance I can do it I guess. But now I'm hopeful I can do the Phoenix-PF Chang's race again in January.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Sun Aug 23: my non-workout entry

by , August 23rd, 2009 at 09:23 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    My ankle is progressing a little. It was definitely a mistake for me to dive into working out like I did, and it probably put me a few days behind in the healing process. Right now, I don't expect to do any real working out for at least a week, and running probably not for about 2 weeks. I've been actively following the RICE routine: Rest, Ice, Compress, and Elevate. There's just one tendon on the right side of my foot that took the brunt of this and it is still very tender.

I've been reading a bit, mostly planning for an upcoming vacation to Australia. Also picked up a travel book, In a Sunburned Country, which is a great book about a guy who traveled rather extensively around the country. I used to read quite a bit, but now can't even remember the last time I've read a book from beginning to end. Trying to avoid reading too much about workouts, as it makes me think of all the working out I'm missing.

Really don't know if I'll be able to do the Steamtown Marathon right now. Certainly anything fast is out the window. Much will depend on when I can start back and how quickly things progress. At least prior to this, I was up to 16+ miles for a long run, so I'm hoping it won't take too much to get back up there.

Have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday, I had scheduled it 3 weeks ago, more about my shoulder pain, but I do plan to ask about my ankle.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Sun Aug 16: sprained ankle

by , August 16th, 2009 at 11:58 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Woke up with a horrible headache, and that should have been a sign to go back to bed. But I got up, took some aspirin, and waited around. Eventually the headache subsided, and I got started around 6am.

I ran just over 1/2 mile, at the first street to cross I went over to push the 'walk' button, and my right foot slid off the sidewalk. This has happened before and just minor pain. But this time it felt worse...so I walked over to a nearby bench. As soon as I sat down I watched my ankle balloon up. Another runner stopped, she said she saw what happened and the look on my face. She offered to go home and drive back to get me home, but I said I'd be OK. I hobbled that 1/2 mile back, and have been laying on the couch, some ice, elevated, and have it wrapped in a compression bandage right now.

Can't remember having anything this severe in recent memory. I just hope it doesn't last too long....I get very antsy without working out for a while, and I already missed with my trip to Vegas last week. At least if I need to, I can work from home for a few days.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Fri Jul 31: AM Swim--fast Friday

by , July 31st, 2009 at 02:23 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Made it to swim with the team this morning, 6am @ the ASU SRC (SCY)
    --did 70 pushups and held the plank for 1:20 before leaving home (plank all w/ forearms on foam roller)
    --air temp was about 86F, water around 82, with aerators on at first
    --pretty decent sized group, 5 in my lane and I went 2 or 3 most of the set

around 300 warmup choice
    12 x 25 @ 0:35, cycle 3 (dist per stroke, turnover, combo)
    6 x 50 @ 1:10, build

5 x 5:00 swims choice
    we had a variety going on in my lane; one other and myself did 200s fr, one guy did 200s back (last a 400), another guy did 300s, and the other no one could figure out
    came in on 2:30, 2:25, 2:23, went off the block on #4 and did 2:21, then 2:23 on the last
    did an easy 50 after each

200 easy cool down

total: around 2150 yards

I really liked this set. Felt pretty smooth, except that one off the block really hurt between the 100 and 150. My intent was to do 4 and 5 from the blocks, but really got wiped out after doing one.

Tempted to ditch weights and do a double tonight, we'll see how I feel later today. Could mix things up with 1-2 of 200 fr, then some 100s, even a breast.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Long Run Sunday May 31

by , May 31st, 2009 at 01:33 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Just in from my long run this morning. I had trouble sleeping; did something to my left shoulder and I seem to always wake up sleeping on it. Plus with the sun rising earlier, I get up early...
    Anyway, the Nike+ details (it worked!)--
    distance: 16.34 miles
    time: 2 hrs, 19 min, 25 sec
    avg pace: 8:31/mile
    calories: 2028
    I started just after 6:30am, and there seemed to be quite a few people out on the trail, most running. Weather wasn't bad, about 68F and cloudy when I started, around 80F when I finished (I think the high today will be about 100F).
    I really really tried to keep my pace in check; it is so easy to go out fast and kill yourself. With these long runs I really have to pace myself, especially in the first few miles. That said, I mostly kept an 8 to 8:30 pace for much of the run. My graph zig-zags a bit, I think based on some of the music playing.
    Think I'm gonna go jump in the backyard pool, then have some breakfast!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast