View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

I've been swimming with USMS teams since 1998. I lifeguarded and played water polo in college, but never really swam as a sport until I began masters swimming. I swim mostly just for exercise and the benefits that provides. I do occasionally swim in meets, but really enjoy open water swimming.
Currently I train with a small local team, along with some solo swims.

I also lift weights, mostly to complement swimming, and to give my upper body some form. Nearly all the time I lift at one of the local 24 Hour Fitness locations.

This blog has some info on my swimming adventures, with some real-life experiences thrown in. I love to travel, and usually try to fit in swimming/working out in different places.

1. Monday 04222019

by , April 22nd, 2019 at 06:09 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Monday AM solo swim @ Sendero Springs (SCY)

thought the pool water temp was chilly...asked the guards after. it was 75F

1050 w/u various (I didn't mean to do that much, lost track)

100 kick w/board + fins
    4 x 125 (25 drill/25 free/25 stroke/25 free/25 drill), w/fins
    100 kick w/board + fins
    250 easy swim w/fins
    100 kick w/board + fins

100 easy swim

two rounds of:
    * 25 easy free @ :30
    * 25 fast free @ :30
    * 25 easy free @ :30
    * 25 fast breast @ :30

2 x 100 swim w/Agility paddles

200 w/d

TTL: 2900 yards

wow, this is probably the shortest swim workout I've done in ages, that wasn't just a stretch-out at the gym (some of those are just 4-500).

my 25s fast were actually fast. if my Apple Watch is to believed...I did the 2nd 25 breast in :13.

I generally hate tapering. I get irritable and antsy. But this time is different--I've been sleeping more, and I don't seem to mind it. I feel like my body needed a break. After I did a few weeks of crazy distances (plus lifting, treadmill, etc), maybe it was good to pull back.

I fly to AZ early tomorrow. there's a fun swim at Saguaro that I'm planning to get to.

Wednesday is my game day. 7:30am briefing at Saguaro, and they expect everyone to be done in 5 hours. when I did Swim to the Moon I had no idea how long a 10k would take (I predicted 4+ hours), and I was shocked when I finished in about 3. planning for the worst, but hoping for the best this week.
    After Wednesday, well I'm hoping its all just gravy. I could always use the excuse before (and after) the 1000, "I just swam 10 miles yesterday"
    Categories
    Swim Workouts