View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

I've been swimming with USMS teams since 1998. I lifeguarded and played water polo in college, but never really swam as a sport until I began masters swimming. I swim mostly just for exercise and the benefits that provides. I do occasionally swim in meets, but really enjoy open water swimming.
Currently I train with a small local team, along with some solo swims.

I also lift weights, mostly to complement swimming, and to give my upper body some form. Nearly all the time I lift at one of the local 24 Hour Fitness locations.

This blog has some info on my swimming adventures, with some real-life experiences thrown in. I love to travel, and usually try to fit in swimming/working out in different places.

1. Monday 09132010: Back to the Grind

by , September 14th, 2010 at 12:34 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Still feeling a little jet lagged. I think my last Europe trip went better on that end since I came back and went to work the next day. A weekend sounds nice, with time to recover and do laundry, but I think it is better to force yourself back on schedule.

Anyway, I made it to swim workout this morning with the team, Kino Aquatic Center (SCY)
    Paul and Laura were both on deck coaching, I was on Paul's side

was one of the first there, but spent a few min on deck chatting with Laura about my trip. I still was the 2nd in the water.. I was nearly finished with my warm-up when Juan dove in the lane to share with me.

got in 800 w/u

8 x 50 @ 1:05, rudder drill (kickboard between legs)
    odds free, evens back

450 swim or pull, every 4th 25 back (I pulled)

8 x 50 @ 1:10, odds sit on board and scull (varied as forward, backwards, and each side) down, breast kick back
    evens 25 breast arms/free kick, 25 on back double arm/breast kick

450 swim or pull, every 4th 25 breast (I pulled)

8 x 50 @ 1:05, various fly drills (don't remember specifics)
    400 swim, every 4th length fly

200 w/d

total: 3500 yards

notes--
    * water was very refreshing. air temp was around 68F, it was nice to open my car windows and sunroof. Paul said water was 81F. so nice to swim outside again, I really hate swimming inside.

* it had been since last Tues when I swam, and when I dove in I felt like Superman. very strong, had lots of air...and I kept up with some of the faster folks.

* Paul gave me an option to do a 'donkey distance' set, but I opted to do this instead. after having to swim on my own a few times and do mindless sets, it was nice having a coach tell me what to do, and give feedback.

by 3:30, I was ready to crash. then I realized i had a 4:00pm conference call. thankfully that only lasted 30 min, and I got out of the office soon after. made it to the gym (the one near home) around 5:30 for the following--
    Elliptical: 16:10, 1.8 miles, 212 cal, crossramp 8, resistance--8 for a min, 9 for a min, 10 for 3 min, 11 for 4 min, 12 for 4 min, 13 for a min, 14 for a min, then a min+ warmdown at 11 and 10

Bench: 1 x 15 x 45, 2 x 10 x 135, 2 x 6 x 155
    Flex fitness dip machine: 1 x 15 x 180, 3 x 10 x 240
    Dumbbell chest fly: 1 x 15 x 45, 3 x 10 x 60s
    Hammer strength high row: 1 x 15 x 90, 1 x 12 x 140, 2 x 10 x 190
    Hammer strength shoulder press: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 10 x 110
    Standing biceps machine curls: 1 x 15 x 80, 1 x 12 x 110, 2 x 10 x 120
    Situps on decline bench: 30 normal, 30 rocky, 30 normal
    Leg raise: 3 x 15
    Plank: 4:30, done as 45 sec forearms on foam roller, 15 sec normal, a min right, a min left, 15 sec normal, 25 sec r arm l leg raised, 10 sec normal, 25 sec l arm r leg raised, 15 sec normal

notes--
    * I really had a tough time starting, and tried to think of any reason not to go to the gym. but when I started up my music, on came Lady Gaga with, "Bad Romance," and it is hard not to get going with that.
    * it had been 3 weeks since I had lifted, or done anything other than swim or run. it was surprising what I mostly kept up with, and what I didn't.
    * my elliptical was exactly the same as I left off with. probably due to it being mostly aerobic, and swimming/running help out on that end.
    * bench suffered quite a bit. I had been up to 175 and even 185 (my max), but 155 was a struggle for me. shoulder press was also a victim, but that is something I really hate doing, but I know it is good for me so I do it.
    * was surprised that chest flys with dumbbells were about where I left off. my last time was with 65s, today 60s, which isn't too much of a loss. took a little to regain my balance; I raise my legs and balance on the bench while I do them, and I nearly fell right when I started.
    * while I didn't lose on abs, I certainly felt taking a break. and for situps and planks, there's no reason I couldn't do them in a hotel room...I just didn't. I really struggled with the leg raises (I use the throne-type thing).
    * I'm very glad I pushed myself to go. and now I'm hoping to get to sleep soon, and hopefully sleep in to my usual time.

my weight didn't really change too much with the vacation. I did run 4 times, the first week around what I'd usually do in a week...but the second week just once and 1/3 what I usually would. I swam 5 times, around 2-3 times less in that time than normal.

I'm still going to run tomorrow morning, swim after work. probably in 2-3 weeks I'll switch that around, and do morning swims, and running after work.

just found out today about a 5k run nearly on the trail near my house on Oct 16. the start is at Tumbleweed Park, about 1-1/2 mile away.
    as long as I'm in town, I'll probably do it. could do a warm-up run over, cool-down back. I've only done a 5k once, as part of a splash + dash where they didn't give splits, so I'm curious how I'd do in a sprint race. there's a half marathon 2 weeks later that I'm also considering.

I was a little disappointed to find out that the open water swim at Saguaro Lake is this Sat, when I'll be out of town. maybe another time....