Blog Comments

Ah the lane dynamics during lap swim

This is just a 2-lane 25 yard pool. Some people will sit on the stairs in that lane, sometimes creeping out and doing stretches or just walking around. I've almost run into people when I'm in that lane.
    The other lane seems be where more serious (well from a gym pool perspective) swim.
    I've been going to this gym for about 3 years so know most of the usual people who are there in the mornings, especially in the pool. Normally I just do a short swim-down after spending time on the treadmill, weights, stretching, etc. The guy who got in the lane with me today was the one who let me share with him yesterday.
    I agree with you on the rope side of the lane. That's a pretty bold ask, and I wouldn't feel bad saying no. Some people will offer that to me, and I'll gladly take it.

Speaking of lap-pool lane dynamics...when I was in AZ last week, I did a meet warm-up at Eldorado pool in Scottsdale before heading to Kino. I swam at that pool years ago when I lived there and remember people getting mad if I got in, "their," lane in the morning. Last week I think I got in the lane I used to swim in then. But there were a few other people there, doing the same thing that I was (I really don't understand why more people swimming at a big meet like nationals don't see out alternate pools for warm-up.)
    I do have a preferred lane at Sendero; it isn't a wall lane and is one of 2 that doesn't have any jets on the wall, so I don't have to worry about hitting them on turns. But I'll swim in any lane, and I think I've been in all 8 lanes at some point.
    I often choose the step lane at the LRRC so that I can avoid sharing a lane. It is sort of an unwritten rule that the end lanes (particular the end lane with the stairs) is the last lane to be shared. I feel not a hint of rudeness telling someone who asks to share the end lane with me that they should share with someone in lanes 2-7 instead. Also I can always make the argument, "You should probably swim with someone more your speed."

I have, on occasion, been in a situation where I am forced to share the end lane. Really find it funny when the person gets in to share with me and says "I need the lane rope [non-wall] side." To that I always say "no." First person in the lane gets to choose which side they wish to swim on (another unwritten rule at the club)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Damn. Thatís a long ass swim.
    I think Apache is about 18 miles!
    http://www.scarswim.com/about.html
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    It was billed as 10 miles, but most people said about 8.5 miles.
    Damn. Thatís a long ass swim.
    What distance was the Saguaro Lake swim?
    It was billed as 10 miles, but most people said about 8.5 miles.
    What distance was the Saguaro Lake swim?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Only swim butterfly at meets! lol!
    Haha, I don't swim that much fly, usually about 100 per workout. I've done the 100 IM at a few meets... If even I could swim a 25 fly (easy from a block start with underwater dolphin kicks), I think anyone could.
    Only swim butterfly at meets! lol!
    nice workout.
    I'd swear I've seen you posting here for years... Obviously I was wrong. Well welcome back, and it sounds like it is sticking.

Keep swimming and go for the 500!
    I used to like it when we got a free suit It wasn't anything special, just a Nike brief or jammer (we got to select either brief or jammer, size, and color), but at least it was something.
    I never got my suit last time :,(

And I did post for several years here and then I went into a mini retirement. Had two kids and took about 3 years off where I focused on soccer and running (sports I sacrificed to pursue a swimming career). After two false starts I really started back in February (and started posting workouts again in April).
    Updated December 24th, 2018 at 01:17 PM by Calvin S
    Well my January total was ZERO. I started my comeback in February, and spent the first 6-7 weeks doing about 3000/week.
    I'd swear I've seen you posting here for years... Obviously I was wrong. Well welcome back, and it sounds like it is sticking.

Keep swimming and go for the 500!
    I used to like it when we got a free suit It wasn't anything special, just a Nike brief or jammer (we got to select either brief or jammer, size, and color), but at least it was something.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    Ha! I don't swim 10k a week, much less in one continuous swim! I guess you got me there. I'm a sprinter now...
    I'll check out the schedule (is it out yet?) for Thursday and Friday and see what it looks like. I was planning to work those days, but one of the offices I can use is about 10 minutes from Kino, so I could easily slip away for an hour or so and do a swim. Roosevelt is a night swim, so in theory I could swim Saturday morning...but not sure I'd want to do that.

I'm definitely not a sprinter. About 7-8 years ago, I was trying to get my 100 yard free under a minute. My fastest was about 1:00.2, but I'm not nearly in that shape today. I'd be lucky to be under 1:03 (I did a timed 100 LCM free from a push in Sydney in October at the end of a workout in 1:18).
    I probably have better chances with breaststroke, and those events usually aren't as busy as freestyle.
    Thanks!

With all your training and swimming doubles, I figured you were at least at 600 miles by now!
    Well my January total was ZERO. I started my comeback in February, and spent the first 6-7 weeks doing about 3000/week.
    I'll make you a deal, you swim the R of SCAR with me, just a 10k, and I'll swim the 500 free. Sounds fair to me.
    Ha! I don't swim 10k a week, much less in one continuous swim! I guess you got me there. I'm a sprinter now...
    Congratulations on making it to 500. You beat me by a week or so. Iím at 486.5!
    Thanks!

With all your training and swimming doubles, I figured you were at least at 600 miles by now!
    Congratulations on making it to 500. You beat me by a week or so. Iím at 486.5!
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    I'm planning on being in Mesa for Nationals - you should swim some events, it'll be fun!
    I'll make you a deal, you swim the R of SCAR with me, just a 10k, and I'll swim the 500 free. Sounds fair to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Wow, two 100k months.
    I bet you are in seriously good shape these days.
    Here's to your continued success next year!
    I've been doing more distance and haven't really pushed too much speed lately... But I can knock out a 5k without too much trouble. Not sure if that's a good thing though.

I'm thinking of just doing the 5k near Hazleton, PA next summer. You should come up and swim it too. Tom did it a few times and liked it.
    I'm planning on being in Mesa for Nationals - you should swim some events, it'll be fun!
    Wow, two 100k months.
    I bet you are in seriously good shape these days.
    Here's to your continued success next year!
Page 1 of 144 123451151101 ... LastLast