Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    If I would have asked that, it would have been a smartassed remark. Looks like you were serious.

Congrats on the incline. I wonder if you are getting enough calories before lifting, specifically carbs, and going out to lunch helped. Or maybe you drank some SuperPump250 (In independent clinical studies it increased lean body mass by 3x immediately after consumption.)

It is probably a little late for this, but do you have space for geothermal? It would seem like heat pumps would have to overcome too much of a differential in the middle of the summer to really work at all. Geothermal would seem like a good fit in AZ where the summers are long and hot.
    Yea my asking Laura that was part serious and part smart ass. I may be able to make a 2:45 interval for a 200 LCM, and we did plenty of warm-up, but the thought of it just didn't seem right to me. 2:45 SCY usually I can do. I probably would have made it if I didn't die...

I didn't even think of the eating thing. I've gotten in the habit of having some popcorn in the afternoon, and I did eat some yesterday. Although the elliptical is overall less impact, I do use the arms, so I think it may hurt me when I do chest stuff after. As long as a 2-mile treadmill run doesn't hurt me, I'll start adding them back, and only doing elliptical 1-2x a week. I got some sort of wrap for lunch, chicken and stuff in a pita, and a Greek salad on the side.

Yea, you're too late for this time with the a/c. We got some kind of coil thing (Carrier brand), it partially cools off until it gets extremely warm, then the whole thing does. We were kind of tied to a couple of types since we wanted to keep the same thermostat, which works with the Schlage system (the guy was very surprised that we were able to adjust from an iPhone). The a/c unit is just over 9 years old. It probably would last another season, but evidently the builder (we bought a new build) put in the cheapest unit possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Did she show you how to put on the KT for ankles? There's a special way. I did this when I last sprained my ankle. You can probably google it or their may be instructions with the tape.

Hope the massage feels better in a couple days! It takes me awhile to recovery from a really deep one. Maybe a week even.
    Yes, she tried to show me how to put on the KT Tape, and also said that it comes with instructions. She said it lasts for 3-4 days, and when I take it off to watch out (I'm not overly hairy but...). I'm more the type to rip a band-aid right off at once.

I did order the KT Tape and some compression sleeves (the guy I run with likes 2XU stuff, and they got good reviews, although they're a little pricey), both from Amazon.

Some people say lifting after a massage isn't good, but I find it helps to further loosen me up. I feel better today, don't know about riding though.
    I asked if we just take 5 sec when we miss the interval (she wasn't amused).
    If I would have asked that, it would have been a smartassed remark. Looks like you were serious.

was pleasantly surprised with my incline bench. I lifted as much today as I did with a flat bench on Monday.
    Congrats on the incline. I wonder if you are getting enough calories before lifting, specifically carbs, and going out to lunch helped. Or maybe you drank some SuperPump250 (In independent clinical studies it increased lean body mass by 3x immediately after consumption.)

preparing for a new a/c to be installed on Monday.
    It is probably a little late for this, but do you have space for geothermal? It would seem like heat pumps would have to overcome too much of a differential in the middle of the summer to really work at all. Geothermal would seem like a good fit in AZ where the summers are long and hot.
    Did she show you how to put on the KT for ankles? There's a special way. I did this when I last sprained my ankle. You can probably google it or their may be instructions with the tape.

Hope the massage feels better in a couple days! It takes me awhile to recovery from a really deep one. Maybe a week even.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    ok, you 1500 was probbly less then 25:00, maybe 24:30. You should definitely do at a meet this summer. It would definitely be alot faster than at a meet.
    I'd hope to hold a 1:30/100 pace. I think I've only ever swam 2 LCM meets, and did the 800 once. That was in 1999, my time was 12:15. Would be nice to be able to hold a similar pace now, 11 years later.

Yesterday's was supposed to be easy, and I mostly took it that way. Of course passing people interferes a little, but if anything I probably sped up then.
    ok, you 1500 was probbly less then 25:00, maybe 24:30. You should definitely do at a meet this summer. It would definitely be alot faster than at a meet.
    I'm stealing that main set, with some modifications. Thanks!
    Glad you liked it, hope you get more out of it than I did. I think I can safely say you won't be stealing what I did this morning
    Hey Patrick--your comment was too long for me to work with on my iPhone.

Anyway, I view La Jolla as more a destination event. I'm sure there are plenty of locals who do it, but it sounds like people travel from around the country to participate. While I'm sure there are some visitors for the Saguaro and Pleasant swims, I doubt it is the same degree. So even though La Jolla is more expensive, I'd rationalize it that I'd be escaping the heat, doing a vacation, etc. I would like to do La Jolla sometime, and even the Waikiki Roughwater swim.

No I didn't realize there was a Splash & Dash this weekend, but it doesn't fit my schedule anyway. I'm thinking of doing the one on May 20. I'd imagine the lake should be plenty warm by then. And that's just crazy to do the Splash & Dash then another lake swim, but I've heard of crazier.
    I'm stealing that main set, with some modifications. Thanks!
    From yesterday ...
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    We've chatted at our Starbuck's post-swim sessions about what a reasonable charge should be for an open water swim in a lake here. the consensus seems to be $25 to $30. they do have to get the sheriff's dept approval (yes, Sheriff's Joe's group), EMT's, etc. but somehow the Splash & Dash folks are able to do it, for far less (and Tempe Town Lake is prime real estate -v- Saguaro/Pleasant on the edges of town)
    I think this is mainly a supply & demand issue; DCB's really the only game in town for longer open water swims right now. If FourPeaks could expand beyond their splash & dashes with some pure OW swims, we might see price competition. While I'd certainly prefer $25 or $30, my benchmark is the La Jolla Rough Water, which is $45 for the 1 mile and $60 for the Gatorman, provided you get in the early entry deadline. So, $40's not bad. Plus, when I compare most of my pool meets with most of my wife's runs, I realize I generally get a great deal on pool meets, so paying more for OW is OK.

You do know there's a splash & dash Saturday morning, as well, right? One of my friends might try to hit that and then trek out of Saguaro for the 4k, as well.
    most of the Jersey Shore Ocean swims that I do are about 30 bucks at the most. That reminds me to sign up for this one swim soon before the rate goes up after a certain date. I bailed on the Chesapeake Swim because you have to sign up in January for a swim in June and it was so much.

I think that you might be looking for a way out of competing!

We've chatted at our Starbuck's post-swim sessions about what a reasonable charge should be for an open water swim in a lake here. the consensus seems to be $25 to $30. they do have to get the sheriff's dept approval (yes, Sheriff's Joe's group), EMT's, etc. but somehow the Splash & Dash folks are able to do it, for far less (and Tempe Town Lake is prime real estate -v- Saguaro/Pleasant on the edges of town).

I will probably do our LCM meet on June 5. probably most of the longer free (maybe even the 1500), and at least 50 and 100 breast (not sure if I want to suffer through a 200 breast tho). I think I've only done 1 or 2 LCM meets ever, and it will be interesting to see if I can swim faster now than the last one I did in 2000.
    I like Paul's drills. And I LOVE doing evil with a flutter kick. Tell Laura she owes you a run! She's used to getting up at the crack of dawn too.
    yea Paul always seems to think up (or take from online/books) quite a variety of drills. not just that, but we did the mile thing as described in the distance thread--several times--over the past 3 months. you start with a 275, rest 10 sec and take 25 yds off until you do a 25.

it's pretty funny, I really didn't care for Paul that much before. he'd try to swim in the lane with me and do lots of strange stuff. Laura though I've always gotten along with.

I'm almost afraid to run with Laura. from what I gather, she ran quite fast when she was younger. I guess I did too; maybe we could both get close to our former running selves.
    I like Paul's drills. And I LOVE doing evil with a flutter kick. Tell Laura she owes you a run! She's used to getting up at the crack of dawn too.
    most of the Jersey Shore Ocean swims that I do are about 30 bucks at the most. That reminds me to sign up for this one swim soon before the rate goes up after a certain date. I bailed on the Chesapeake Swim because you have to sign up in January for a swim in June and it was so much.

I think that you might be looking for a way out of competing!
    how I went from a nearly 200# slug to what I am today
    165# slug?
    Tom Cruise would have found a way to get around the fences to help the broken down car, fixed their car and gotten them back on the road. Because, he is a Scientologist! Have a good run tomorrow if you do it.
    Yea, there may be a break in the fence somewhere. Otherwise it is 1/2 mile either direction to the entrance/exit ramps. But before the freeway opened, I remember they had a party on it (even the governor came to cut a ribbon) and you could walk on the road and we just walked up the side.
    Tom Cruise would have found a way to get around the fences to help the broken down car, fixed their car and gotten them back on the road. Because, he is a Scientologist! Have a good run tomorrow if you do it.
    do you ever get tired? Or, does working from home once a week aleve all the tiredness. I am getting pooped just reading your posts!
    yes I get tired. working from home (and not swimming) on Thursdays, I sleep in until 6am. and on Friday nights/Saturday mornings, I usually sleep 9 to 11 hours.
    do you ever get tired? Or, does working from home once a week aleve all the tiredness. I am getting pooped just reading your posts!
    dorney park, gosh, haven't been there in ages.
    I haven't been there since I worked there either. That was back in the summer of 1995, just before I came out to AZ. Had 28 saves! Not a single one in the wave pool, most in the 12 foot pool (someone asked as their friend went down a slide, "so do you float in water?". Yes, I had to jump in and scoop out his friend.). Surprisingly had a bunch of saves in a 3' pool at the bottom of a slide--those folks were always embarassed even they could just stand up.