View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Mon night/Tues morn workouts

by , April 21st, 2009 at 12:20 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Made it to both the gym last night, and to run with the guy I swim with this morning.

Last night--started with a 2 mile treadmill run, then weights (biceps and back). The treadmills weren't busy, but the weights at the gym were quite busy. Seemed people were doing whatever I wanted to, so I majorly improvised/did what I could when I could.
    don't remember all the details, but held a 7:40 pace for the treadmill run. It really takes some effort for me to get to that pace and hold it, but I'm working on it.
    weights--
    *biceps: standing biceps curls 3 x 12 x 37.5# dumbbells; seated preacher curls 1 x 12 x 50# + EZ bar; 1 x 12 x 60#, 2 x 12 x 70#; (did some back...) standing curls on multi-machine with flat bar 1 x 15 x 80#, 1 x 15 x 90#, 1 x 15 x 100#
    *back: (before standing curls on machine) seated lat pulll down on multi machine 3 x 15 x 105; seated row on multi machine 3 x 12 x 120; seated HammerStrength high iso-lat pull down machine 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 15 x 140; seated HammerStrenght iso lat row 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 160; rear delt machine 1 x 15 x 80, 2 x 12 x 100 (did shoulder press in there somewhere, 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 15 x 140)

*mini abs set: seated HammerStrength crunch machine 1 x 20 x 80, 2 x 20 x 100; Ab-X machine (normal), 2 x 50; leg raises on machine (where your arms rest) 1 x 8, 1 x 10

this morning, met the guy I swim with in Scottsdale, went for our run...
    Nike+ details:
    distance: 7.88 miles
    time: 1:04:12
    avg pace: 8:08
    calories burned: 979
    temp at start (around 5:40) was around 68F, when we finished around 75F. The run had something for everyone, flat along the Arizona Canal (from McDowell to the SRP plant), some hills, we ran along the 202 Fwy and Tempe Town Lake, some hills and trails, etc. In the middle there was a point where I would have slacked, but I held on with him. Then at the end, I turned it on...I think he was surprised. I did have my iPod on, but turned the volume way down so I could hear him; except at the end I turned it up, and of course played, "Du Hast," to bring me to the finish.

Planning to swim with the team tonight.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sunday long run

by , April 19th, 2009 at 07:34 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Made it out for my weekly long run this morning. Although I woke up before 7, I really was dragging this morning and didn't make it out to run until 8:40 AM. By that point, the temp was already into the 70s. When I finished it was in the low 80s. If our warm weather continues, I need to get up and out earlier.

Anyway, according to Nike+
    distance: 14.22 miles
    time: 2 hrs 0 min 24 sec
    avg pace: 8:27/mile
    calories burned: 1764

I had wanted to go about 1-1/2 mile north, then flip to the other side of the canal and go south to Riggs Road. However, when I started I noticed quite a wind (when I checked after I finished it said 15 mph, gusts of 25), so I went further north, along the canal to Gilbert/Warner. I always prefer to get the tough part over with sooner if I can. I ended up doing a 2nd loop along the canal between Chandler Blvd and Ray Rd, which worked well in the end. By the time I got to my start point, I was at over 11 miles...continued on south for a bit. I had wanted to do 15+ miles, but two things got in the way, the warm weather a bit, and more importantly, I had to use the restroom, and none really in that area, and pretty open areas with limited trees (I considered diverting to Tumbleweed Park). So my run got cut a little short.

Did a mini abs set after I got home, just 60 elevated situps, then 200 crunches.

Occasionally I'll weigh myself before + aft a run, and did it today. The difference was around 8 lbs. I'm sure I recovered a bit of it with all the water and gatorade I drank after that. After longer runs last summer, I'd sometimes see 10 pounds or more difference.

This week looks mostly normal for me, hopefully my workouts will be pretty much on-track. No races or events scheduled in the near future, but I enjoy just keeping in shape.

Checked my backyard pool this afternoon, temp is still a brisk 66F. With more warm weather, it may be OK for a quick dip next week. I've gone in when it has been this temp, but usually a quick in/out. I prefer around 80s, but by August the water is usually in the low to mid 90s.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Attempted swim workout, Thurs Apr 16

by , April 16th, 2009 at 01:26 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Well I didn't get to workout since Tues morning. Tues afternoon I ended up working later than expected, ran into Phoenix rush-hour traffic getting my rental and going home, and pretty much just grabbed stuff I needed and drove down to my hotel in Tucson. Ended up going to bed around 10 that night, and slept until 6am Wed morning (guess I was tired).

Had good intentions of swimming this morning, got up, etc....
    --did 70 pushups and held The Plank for 3 min before leaving home
    --got in a 500 warm-up
    --got in about 150 yds (set was 5 x 200 @ 3min), then the fire alarm at the Rec Center went off
    we kind of lingered in the pool, but eventually got out. I waited a few minutes, then decided I'd just go to the nearest location of my gym, shower, and get on with my day.
    in hindsight, I could have done a workout at the gym; there was a 4 lane 25 yd pool. but I just wanted to warm up (it was around 40F out).

I had planned to run tonight, not sure if I'll still do that, or go to evening workout. depends how I feel after work....
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Sunday run Apr 12

by , April 12th, 2009 at 04:08 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Made it out to run this morning. I was up early; rather than fight the crowds going to church later, I got up around 5:30 and went at 6:30. I normally go on Saturdays, but with today's holiday yesterday's was later and far longer than normal. By the time I headed out to run (8:53), I had already been up over 3 hours.

Anyway, it was (and is) a beautiful day. As I expected, with our rain yesterday, the pollution was minimal. Slight breeze from the South at times. Temp at start around 62, at finish around 68 (our high is supposed to be around 80 today). I did see loads of others out...runners, walkers, bikers, people walking dogs, etc. Probably with the rain yesterday, some put off outside activities to today. It wasn't like we got a ton of rain (about .30" where I live), but when it rarely rains, anything is a big deal. The trail along the canal was a little muddy in spots, and the water in the canal itself was more cloudy than normal (sometimes you can see to the bottom).

According to Nike+--
    distance: 12.13 miles (I set it for 1/2 marathon)
    time: 1 hr 41 min 23 sec
    avg pace: 8:21/mile
    calories: 1505

I could have gone further, but my goal today was 12, and I planned pretty well to make it. For my last mile I held around a 7:50 pace, which is good at the end. Just need to work on the middle (I go out fast, can finish fast, but usually go a bit slow after 6-7 miles).

Just plan to relax for much of the day, no huge plans. Probably go out to dinner...then back to the usual tomorrow.

Oh, I just took a look at my vegetable garden, and there's already a few tomatoes ready. I'll probably use them in a salad this week. Some of the cactus are starting to flower, which is always interesting.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Sunday long run Apr 5, 2009

by , April 5th, 2009 at 11:18 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Ended up not working out Friday after work. Funny, I had considered swimming in Scottsdale on Sat morning, but slept in (I needed it), then when I checked email, there was a message that workout was canceled (workout starts at 7 and the email was sent at 6:55AM); I would have been p*ssed had a driven all the way up there. I really wanted to get to the gym yesterday, but got caught up with cleaning...took me nearly 3 hours. Then I just ran out of time, and was pretty tired anyway (maybe cleaning counts as working out?). Hopefully I'll get back to my gym/weights routine this week.

Made it out for my long run this morning. Woke up a little later than normal, had some toast, then started to get ready around 8:45AM.
    --did 60 pushups
    --held The Plank for 3 min
    --did stretching
    then headed out

According to Nike+
    distance: 14.48 miles
    time: 2 hrs 2 min 26 sec
    avg pace: 8:27/mile
    calories: 1796

Notes: It was a beautiful day, barely a cloud in the sky. A little windy, but nothing major. I'm always amazed that I don't see more people out, but I guess I shouldn't complain. I did a similar run to 2 weeks ago, along the Consolidated Canal...up to Pecos, then down down down past Riggs Rd, to where the canal meets Arizona Ave (close to the Hunt Hwy), then turned around and back up.
    Stopped for water 3 times, and two quick restroom breaks (well port-a-johns next to the golf course).
    Temp at the start was probably around 65F, probably around 75 when I finished (our high was in the mid-80s today, a far cry from what I put up with in Portland).

After I got home I managed to do 60 elevated situps before breakfast. Then was busy with errands most of the day.

I'll attach the songs that played (my iPod was on random), and the Nike+ graph.

Updated April 5th, 2009 at 11:25 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	040509graph.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	6252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	040509playlist.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	6253  
  6. Sun Mar 22 long run

by , March 22nd, 2009 at 02:31 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Just in from my long run. I got up around 7, ate 2 slices of toast w/jelly, then started to stretch, began around 8:15. I think eating helped a bit, and the jelly gave me some sugar to keep on going... Set my Nike+ for 1/2 marathon, here's the details--
    distance: 13.32 miles
    time: 1 hour 52 min 03 sec (I didn't pause it)
    avg pace: 8:24/mile
    calories: 1653

It was quite windy out. Just before I headed out, I looked online and saw it was coming from the South at 10 (gusting to 17). So I went along the canal and headed South, figuring I might as well face it up front. Worked out well, I went way South, much further than I ever have before. Turned around near where the Consolidated Canal meets AZ Ave. Then just headed back pretty much the same way. I stopped for quick restroom breaks twice, and water breaks 3 times.
    temp at start around 66F, at finish 73F.
    Overall, not a bad distance, run, or weather. Slowly getting back where I was a month ago....
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Monday Morning Mar 16 IM set

by , March 16th, 2009 at 07:46 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    tried posting this earlier today, but was having some problems with the USMS site. wasn't sure if it was my company network, so I tried usms.org with my iPhone, and also issues.....

Mon Mar 16, made it to swim with the team, 6AM ASU Rec Center (SCY)
    --did 60 pushups (chest still very sore from my food poisoning), and held The Plank for 3 min before leaving home. The Plank wasn't as bad as I thought, and I did some variety on hands/elbows, as well as holding 1 leg at a time
    --air temp in the mid-50s, water on the warm side, around 80F
    --we had a pretty big group today, but the coach moved 'distance,' folks to the other side of the bulkhead (they did 10 x 300 as the main set)

warm-up: 600 choice
    8 x 50, IM order twice through, 25 drill/25 swim @ 55 sec
    8 x 50 (twice through of 50 drill, 50 EZ, 2 x 50 FAST) @ 1 min, 25 back/25 free (supposed to be 'long axis')
    100 easy free @ 2 min
    100 IM FAST @ 2 min
    8 x 50 (twice through of 50 drill, 50 EZ, 2 x 50 FAST) @ 1 min, 25 fly/25 breast (supposed to be 'short axis')
    100 easy free @ 2 min
    100 IM FAST @ 2 min
    4 x 100--done as 50 back/50 free, 50 fly/50 breast, twice through

200 easy cool down

total: around 2800 yards

I generally liked this workout. For some reason, I always have a tough time of fly, but it didn't feel as bad today, maybe spreading it around, or pairing it with breast (which I'm half-decent at) worked. I can do back, not fast, but if I had to I could swim a 200. I would have done distance, but didn't know what intervals it would be (turned out to be 1:30/100), and just really wasn't in the mood. I tend to avoid IM, so I tried to face it a little.

Have my gym stuff, hoping to make it there tonight.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Sunday run, Mar 15

by , March 15th, 2009 at 03:56 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Got out for a run this morning, around 11 miles total. Had wanted to do more, but both my calves cramped up, so called it quits rather than passing my starting point. I think my electrolytes are still a bit off; I somehow got food poisoning (or something similar) as I was quite sick on Thurs (co-workers in New Mexico described me as, "violently ill.") It wasn't pleasant at all, and being away from home, trying to make my way back, didn't help matters at all.

But I'm glad to be back running, hope this week is mostly back to normal.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Wed treadmill run from hotel

by , March 12th, 2009 at 02:38 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Well I had good intentions to get up and swim this morning, only didn't get a good sleep. My alarm went off at 5:30 AM (an hour ahead of AZ since AZ doesn't participate in DST). I re-set the alarm and slept until 6:45.

After I was done for the day, came back to my hotel room, kinda passed out on the bed for 30 min, then decided I should head to the workout room. I stayed at this hotel last year (Hampton Inn...Las Cruces, NM), but evidently never made it to the workout room. There was a multi-weight machine, an eliptical, a bike machine, and of course a treadmill. Here's my Nike+ info--
    distance: 2.14 miles
    time: 16:57
    avg pace: 7:54/mile
    286 calories

Of course then I went down to La Posta in Mesilla, so any calories burned were quickly consumed.

There's no swim workout at NMSU tomorrow morning (that I know of), so I'll sleep in. I fly back to PHX (from ELP) in late afternoon, so if I feel up to it, I may either go for a run near home, or go to the gym. Then head to swim with my team on Friday morning, hopefully back to normal.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Mon Mar 9 run

by , March 9th, 2009 at 09:54 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Finally got out and went for a run today. Didn't sleep well last night, partly due to some high winds (which blew my back door enough to set off the alarm system around 1AM), and still some lingering cough and stomach issues. My stomach felt in knots before I headed out, but once back I felt much better.

My run is definitely a bit rusty; I hadn't run for a week, and hadn't worked out since last Wed. Very rare for me to go that long, without being on a major vacation or something.

According to Nike+ (but it spazzed out and didn't count some)--
    distance: 8.38 miles
    time: 1 hr 21 min 50 sec
    avg pace: 9:45/mile
    calories: 1039

The distance was more like 9.25; I think it didn't pick up properly after I stopped for a bathroom break or something. So with that in mind, it is slightly better--
    adjusted distance: 9.25 miles
    avg pace: around 8:52/mile
    Was still a bit windy out, felt like I was going right into the wind for quite a while. But I didn't walk at all, kept at least a jog going. Heck if I could have done that for my marathon, I could have cut at least 10 min off my time.

Hoping to get to swim tomorrow morning, then to my office for a bit, before heading out for a biz trip to New Mexico. I'm planning to swim Wed morning there, but it won't be the end of the world if I don't. I'll take my running gear with me, and hopefully work on a treadmill a bit.

Weighed in after my run, and actually not too bad. I half thought it would have been much lower, given what my body has gone through lately--
    weight: 165#
    body fat: 13%
    I take the body fat % with a major grain of salt as a realistic factor. But I do look for moves. I have a scale where if you weigh yourself barefoot, it gives you a body fat %.

Leaning toward not doing the swim meet Sunday, but entries close tonight. Who knows, I may get a last-minute urge to register tonight. Possibly doing a State Swim Meet the weekend of Mar 27-29 (distance stuff Fri night). My next marathon is still scheduled for Steamtown/Scranton, PA in Oct, but looking for a possible before summer kicks in here.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. aztimm's blog catch-up

by , March 6th, 2009 at 06:22 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    I haven't posted here for a few days, partly because I haven't worked out, and partly because I just wasn't feeling well (and worked out when I shouldn't have).

Anyway, Monday evening I did make it to the gym, did a 2 mile treadmill warm-up run, then an 'express' chest + triceps workout. I've been making some progress with my chest presses w/dumbells (they are more comfortable to me than a barbell), but I'm still continuing some barbell stuff too.

Tues morning I made it to swim workout. At this point, much of it seems a bit hazy, but I remember the main set was something like:
    100-200-300-400-300-200-100
    where up was swim, but everything something different, the 300 downwards kick, again different. I did 100 (back), 200 (IM), 300 (breast), 400 (free), 300 (free kick w/zoomers), 200 (fly kick w/zoomers), 100 breast kick.
    I think the entire workout was ~3000 yds.

Wed also made it to swim. Again, I don't remember the entire set, but the main part was a choice 'test' set, either of these--
    * 10 x 200 @ 3 min
    * 15 x 100 @ 2 min
    in the past I've always selected the 200s, but that day I wasn't feeling up to it, so I bowed out for the 100s. I pretty much just cruised through, held about 1:13 for most, around 1:09 on the last. Oh, a funny thing....after workout, the guy leading the lane (4 in the lane, I was last) asked if I was going 10 back. I told him no, just 15 back from him (5 sec between swimmers), and he thought it strange that I was a bit back but I stayed in about the same place (so if the others were indeed faster the space between #3 and me would have grown). Basically we figured that #2 and #3 were both going before they should have....and I waited a full 15 sec and got fresh water. I chatted with a gal who used to swim with me 3-4 years ago about my cruising strategy, and she commented that she wished she could cruise at that speed, and it made me realize that I have gotten better (and/or she's slowed). I remember not long ago that 1:13 required some effort...
    Total was probably around 3000, I don't remember it all.

Reality set in for sure Wed night...well it had started on Tues, but I tried to ignore it. My stomach issues from last week escalated into a full-blown mess over my body. I went from one stomach extreme to another (I'll leave details to your imagination), and whatever funk moved into my lungs and body. I ended up sleeping in on Thurs, no workouts, worked from home, went to the doctor, and rested as I could (although my cats seemed to think since I was home I had to keep them occupied). Slept in today, no workout, but did come into the office (and of course most folks are keeping a distance).

So long story short, I don't know if I'll do the meet on Sun Mar 15. I've been looking for an excuse not to, but then again, I've heard this is how the whole tapering thing started, was people were sick, couldn't workout, and ended up performing better than those who killed themselves up to their events. I'll see when the deadline is...

Regardless, I'm going to ease back into things, probably with a casual run on Sunday, and see how things feel. I have a tendancy to overdo things, and right now I need to keep that in check.

I'm traveling next Tues-Thurs (biz trip), so my goal is to be mostly better by then, at least so I don't contaminate everyone along the way.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Tues evening treadmill run--fastest mile to date

by , February 18th, 2009 at 01:19 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    I really didn't feel like working out after work, when I was leaving the office today. The rain cleared up, it looked nice and clear out, the President arrived safe and sound. But something about me, I just didn't feel like doing anything. Decided I'd drive to the gym, hopefully get in the mood when I saw other people working out. That turned out to be true--

Nike+ details--
    distance: 5.26 miles
    time: 40 min 18 sec
    avg pace: 7:38/mile
    calories: 653

Not only was that my fastest pace run, but after I finished I had a pleasant surprise. Tiger Woods came over my iPod, greeting me with, "Congratulations, you've just completed your fastest mile to date." I was so stoked...I decided to do a 'little' workout--

Pullups: used the 'neutral' bars, basically those that stick out towards me. Did 3 rounds of 10 @ 1 min, then 1 round of 8. I was shocked I could do that much (I think that fastest mile helped me a bit). Also, not lifting before I had much more upper body energy.

Mini Abs Set: 3 x 15 x 90 on the HammerStrength ab machine
    on the decline bench--50 elevated situps, 20 elevated w/10# weight, 5 regular elevated

Changed, got in an easy 200 free swim, then went in the hot tub, stretched + relaxed.

Oh, and after I got home I had to see what that mile pace was....a 7:21. I've gone faster for parts of a mile, but that was the fastest overall mile, in recent memory. In 1997 when I did triathlons, I got my mile to about a 7 min pace, but those were all short runs (longest about 6 miles). When I was in the Army, I ran my 2-mile PT test in 10:30 (don't know the split). I was also a little younger then....
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Sunday long run

by , February 15th, 2009 at 04:14 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Got in a long run this morning. For some reason, I really had a hard time getting going this morning. It was a little chilly out, but it has been worse. I didn't start until about 10am, and even then I had a tough time getting into my run, and sticking with it. Around 4 miles I started to feel pretty good, then when I went past my starting point around 9 miles, I really wanted to stop. but I pressed on, and the last 2-3 miles really felt good. Nike+ details--
    distance: 15.01 miles
    time: 2:01:57
    avg pace: 8:07/mile
    calories: 1862
    I'm on track to meet a soft goal I've had for a while, and that is 15 miles in under 2 hours. I think I'm going to stick with around 15 for my long runs for a while, and concentrate on that. Of course if I'm feeling exceptionally good/bad, that's subject to change.
    Oh, temp was about 50F when I started, 55F when I finished. Some high clouds, and not a huge amount of sun, and a little windy. For the last couple of miles I had some awesome views of the mountains north of town....looks like they got a nice dusting of snow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Thurs Feb 12 evening run

by , February 13th, 2009 at 01:22 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Got in an after-work run on my way home @ Tempe Town Lake. Started around 6:30, thing seemed fine. Got a ballad-type song on my iPod, pressed the button to skip, and got the dreaded silence. My iPod locked up. So I stopped to walk while it rebooted. Got in about 1/2 a mile before that, and walked at least 1/4. Anyway, below info is from after it finally cooperated. Nike+ details--
    distance: 5.95 miles
    time: 47 min 46 sec
    avg pace: 8:01/mile
    calories: 738

Temp was about 60F, but very breezy, especially as I crossed Town Lake on the Rural Road bridge, even worse on the way back. I got a cramp around 1-1/2 mile in, took my inhaler (I've found this helps me work through stomach cramps), walked maybe 30 sec, and was fine. Ran up to the Tempe/Scottsdale border (to McKellips Rd), then back to Tempe Beach Park.
    Notable music, right around where I turned around Pink Floyd, "Run like Hell," which always seems to get me pumped. I always think of when I saw them in concert (I think 1993 at the Vet in Philly), probably the best concert I've ever been to.
    I've been running a little faster lately, and it doesn't seem to be any more effort. Seems to be good timing as I rebuild after my first marathon to do things a little differently.

All packed to swim in the morning, and go to the gym after work. I'll probably do a 2-ish mile treadmill run, then weights, maybe a short swim if there's time.

The next week will be crazy again. I leave for my Munich trip next Friday. Anyone have some good tips for airplane exercises? I remember the first time I flew DTW-SEL back in 1990 they used to show exercise videos between movies (there were 3-4 movies on that flight). I'm sure the weather there will be nasty, and any workouts will be limited to the hotel's workout room, maybe a swim workout in the pool in the Olympic park if I'm feeling very adventurous.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Mon morning swim

by , February 9th, 2009 at 12:08 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Swam this morning with the team, ASU Rec Center pool, SCY
    --did 75 push-ups and held The Plank for 3 min before leaving home, doing 1 leg on Plank for 25 sec each
    --air temp was about 50, water around 79 and steamy

got in about 200 warm-up (I was a little late)
    6 x 75 @ 1:30; 1st 25 stroke (in IM order), other 50 choice
    500 free (I got lapped and did around 450) @ 15 sec rest
    400 supposed to be IM, I did it mostly free w/some breast @ 15 sec rest (moved to a slower lane for this)
    300 breast @ 15 sec rest
    200 back @ 15 sec rest
    100 supposed to be fly (I did free) @ 15 sec rest
    150 kick (I put on my zoomers and did combination of free and fly kicking on front and back)
    100 easy
    4 x 50 @ 1:15, supposed to be fly, I did breast
    200 easy warm-down

total: around 2700

I head to ABQ at 1PM. Of course there's snow warnings, etc there...and I only have my light jacket in my car. I may be picking up a cheap coat tonight.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Weekend workouts

by , February 1st, 2009 at 02:38 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Been a few days since I posted....just didn't think I had that much to post. Anyway, since Thursday night:

* Friday morning/after work: a little biking as part of my commute that day. It was an adventure taking a bus here. Probably 6-7 miles of biking on my mountain bike all-in.

* Friday night: went to the gym, mostly my usual chest/triceps workouts. I like to try something new once in a while, so I tried, "skull crushers." I'm used to doing tricep curls, but this seemed to burn my tris much more. I did 2 sets of 12 of them (w/55# EZ bar), then a guy nearby asked if I needed a spot, I asked if I was doing it right....he came over and showed me how to do it. After that, I did 3 more rounds of 6 (behind head) each round immediately followed by 6 more kind of bench pressing.
    Along with the chest and tris, I did some abs (machine crunches, Ab-X, then elevated situps). Then I did an easy 500 swim.

* Sat: took the day off. Been a while since I've had a full day off. My cold really wiped me out, and it felt good to relax a bit.

* Sun (today)...did a longish run, 11.85 miles, according to Nike+, around 8:20 pace (1400ish calories). Although between when I finished and synched my iPod it somehow lost the run info. This was my longest run since the marathon, and it really felt good, I could have done more. Weather was great, around 45 when I started, mid-50s at finish. Lots of people out.
    Did about 400 crunches after I got in.

Hopefully the run and crunches will offset some of the stuff I'll be eating later today while watching the Superbowl. Although our local team is playing, I really don't care too much who wins. The Cardinals have done little to build local support since they've been here.

Gym (# weights sessions): 17

Updated February 1st, 2009 at 03:51 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Thurs Evening run

by , January 30th, 2009 at 01:23 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Got in a run on my way home. Stopped by Tempe Beach Park, ran down past the Art Center, thought of running down to Priest and around the lake (really a river) that way, but the trail was closed off (looks like they're putting in new landscaping). Did a quick U-turn, back to mostly my usual way. Of course when I was furthest from my car, started getting a cramp in my stomach. Walked a little and it settled down, and continued pretty well to the finish.

Nike+ details-- 5.38 miles, 44 min 46 sec; 8:18/mile pace; 667 calories

On the way back, I pushed the button for time/distance right as I passed a 1/2 mile marker...the system seems pretty close, I have no clue what went on during the marathon.

Lots of activity along the lake; 2 guys playing bagpipes; a group of female rollerbladers going around in a circle (that I ended up running through); and a huge group of people on bikes. Very odd.

No morning swim tomorrow for me--I have a separate adventure. I'll be biking-->bus-->rail-->biking to work. I am bringing the very basics in my backpack so I can swim at noon (either bike-->rail or just bike over). We'll see what happens. With gas now around $1.70+/gal it is a wash on price alone, but I'm planning to catch up on some TV shows on my iPhone. I always say I'd love to swim at noon in the winter, so hopefully I'll get my wish (now if only Paul Smith isn't coaching...don't know if I can take one of his workouts).

____
    rats, after my foray with public transit this morning (everything worked pretty well), I now realize what I thought was a 2PM conf call is at 1PM. so no noon swim....

I'll now try to take the earlier bus home, should be home around 6, then head to the gym. I'll do my usual weights, and now I'll be determined to do a swim set.

I did get in about 3 miles of biking today; wearing jeans, rugby shirt, jacket, hiking boots turned into way more than I need. That and my backpack had too much in it. Riding a bus felt like I was crashing a party, people know each other, talk...one guy kind of showed me the ropes, and told me who got on where. Just happened to run into someone I know on the train, which was pretty freaky. We'll see how the return trip goes.

Updated January 30th, 2009 at 11:59 AM by aztimm

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Wed PM gym/Thurs AM swim Jan 28-29

by , January 29th, 2009 at 03:52 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Stopped by the gym on my way home last night. I don't remember all of the specifics, but here's the general gist--
    * biceps: standing bicep curls w/75# EZ bar (I think 4 sets of 12); seated bicep curls on preacher stand (I think 4 sets of 12 w/45s); standing bicep curls w/the multi machine (I think 3 sets of 12 w/90-100-110#)
    * back/shoulders: lat pull down on the multi machine (3 sets of 12 doing 1-behind head/1 to chest, maybe 80#); shoulder press w/Hammer Strength machine (3 sets of 12 w/45s each side); 4 sets of 12 w/Hammer Strength seated row (1 w/45s, 1 w/55s, 2 w/70s); 3 sets of 12 w/Hammer Strength deltoid machine (I think 45s); and finished w/3 sets of 8 of lat raises w/15# dumbells (I started w/25s, then 20s, was about to give up)
    * abs: did 50 elevated situps; 20 elevated situps w/10# weight; 20 Rocky elevated situps; 10 regular elevated situps (abs burning)
    * cardio: went in pool, 300 easy free...then stretched in hot tub

* Temp was close to freezing at my house (roughly 33/34); yes my garden was covered again last night. Seems putting tomato plants in always brings on a sudden frost/freeze warning. At ASU it was about 38, water very nice around 80.

4 rounds of (125 easy, then 75 fast), each round on 4 min; after the first round, we went right into the easy, started the fast on 2 min
    300 easy warm-down with a few lengths breast
    total: around 3000 yards (I think there was another set but I don't remember)

We had a very light group; I started out in my 'usual' lane, but the fastest lane was empty, so I moved up. Had that lane to myself through much of the 250s/125s, then a late comer joined me. The end lane is a little wider, so we had plenty of room; but I prefer being next to the lane line and got my wish.

I'm desperately trying to fight off a cold, allergies, or whatever I have. I pretty much ate dinner after I got home last night and went straight to bed (with plenty of medication). Feel better today, but still not 100%. Hoping to run tonight @ Tempe Town Lake, but we'll see when I finish work and how I feel. These cool mornings (near freezing) with temperate days (mid-60s) really screw with my body.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Possible Next Meet

by , January 28th, 2009 at 05:51 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    I haven't done a meet since my team hosted the USMS SCY Nationals, I think that was 2003, so around 6 years. I made a side agreement with one of my coaches last year that I would at least attempt to get to or break a minute in my 100 SCY free by the next AZ SCY state meet. I'm unable to make that meet, but my team is hosting a smaller meet prior, Info here

So if I do this meet, of course I'll do the 100 free, but am also considering a few other events to make the drive and meet fee worthwhile. I have no idea how fast these meets move, but here are possibilities I'm considering:
    #3: 100 Breast
    #5: 50 Free
    #10: 50 Breast
    #13: 200 Free
    #17: 100 Free

I really wish the 200 Breast wasn't right before the 100 Free, as I'm one of 'those' people who would do that event.

If I did all 5, I would probably treat the 200 Free more as something to keep warm, more of a fun event. Otherwise, there could be a lag between events. I don't want to wear myself out for my focus event.

So other than doing 100 free in practice, is there anything else I should try to focus on for the next 1-1/2 months? I pretty much do what the coach says, but I will talk to them ahead of time and could do more of a sprint-focused set, or modify their sets somewhat. I'd probably want to mix in some breast too, so I don't embarass myself.

Right now I'm tentatively scheduled to be out of town much of the week prior to this (and in a local 3-day meeting the week before that). Generally I try to plan my biz trips so I'm back by Thurs night. If that trip, or another, goes forward, it will pretty much encourage me to take a lighter week.

Otherwise, I'm not planning a huge taper...my thoughts for that week--
    * Mon-Wed: normal, or as normal can be if on the road (Mon-Tues-Wed AM swims, Mon & Wed PM weights, Tues PM run)
    * Thurs: shorten swim to 75-80%, shorten PM run by 50% (Thurs is usually 6-7 miles)
    * Friday: shorten swim to 50%, no weights
    * Sat: no weights, maybe a light/meet warm-up swim
    * Sun: I really hate to lose a weekly long run. Either shorten (to about 10 miles) and/or move to Sat (possibly move to Mon but I'd have to arrange getting to work late and deal with more traffic while running)
    * My main concern with tapering is that I'll have to really watch my diet so I don't gain weight.

My next running event I'm planning isn't until Oct, but if something else pops up, I'd like to be ready. There's a few 1/2 marathons I'm looking at.

Any thoughts on what events to enter and/or how to deal with a taper?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Mon Jan 26: AM Swim

by , January 26th, 2009 at 11:46 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Mon Jan 26, 6AM Swim workout with the team, ASU SRC (SCY)
    --did 60 pushups and held The Plank for 2 min before leaving home
    --air temp around 50F, water in the upper 70s

600 warm-up
    8 x 25 @ :40 (no real pattern, but threw in some back and breast)
    4 rounds of the following:
    --200 kick (type of kick varied by round...free/breast/back/fly)
    --200 IM @ 3:30...easier (didn't do fly, did free in place)
    --200 IM @ 3:30...faster (again no fly)
    --we started to run out of time, on #3 I did 150 kick, and just a 100 kick on #4
    200 easy cool-down
    total: around 3250

planning to go to the gym tonight, get in a 2-mile warm-up run, then weights with a focus on chest + triceps

I decided to start breaking in a new pair of running shoes. I picked them up in late Dec (a 2008 model clearance). At the marathon expo I was chatting with some gals on how many pairs of running shoes we have..... Currently have some I got around Labor Day (on their way out, just short runs and wear them for weights now they have at least 400 miles), some I got in late Nov (these are now my good shoes, I ran the marathon in them they have maybe 100-150 miles), and these I got in late Dec, as of yet unworn. Plus I have some trail runners that I hardly wear (maybe 100-150 miles). This seemed similar to the numbers others had.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast