View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Sat weights/Sun run

by , January 25th, 2009 at 12:51 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Went to the gym yesterday afternoon. Weights focused on biceps and back/shoulders:
    * biceps: started out with bicep preacher curls with the EZ bar (where you have to put weight on the bar) I think 4 sets of 12 (started with 25s, worked up to 35s), standing bicep curls with 37.5# dumbells 3 sets of 12; standing bicep curls w/the multi-machine using an EZ-bar-type bar 4 rounds of 12 with 90-100-110-120#; finished with the Precor preacher curl machine 3 rounds of 12 w/90-100-110
    * back/shoulders: decided to try those Hammer Strength machines rather than the Precor or Lifefitness machines. The HS machines you put real weights on, and each side is separate; I really felt it last night. I used a lat pull-down-type machine; a shoulder press-type; seated row; and a kinda combo seated row/lat pull-down. I was surprised that I could handle at least 45s (each side) on these, some even more. Around 4 sets of 12 for each. Then to complete my theme of trying new things, I did 3 sets of 8 lat raises using 15# dumbells, raising my arms up to the sides...this really burns. There's some benefit to the Precor (Nautilis-type) machines, they can really isolate some muscles that are hard for me to really use otherwise. But I think it is good to do a mix of everything, especially to keep balance between both sides.
    * abs: did 50 elevated situps, then 20 elevated with a 10# weights, 20 elevated Rocky situps, then 10 normal elevated situps
    * did an easy 200 yards in the pool, then went in the hot tub and really stretched my legs for 5-10 minutes (some guy either thought I was crazy or something, he kept giving me weird looks)

Sun--long run day. This was my first post-marathon Sunday run, not nearly as long as normal, but I'm still in the recovery phase. Set my Nike+ for 10 miles, but cut it slightly short...

Nike+ graph: aztimm_run_01252009
    Nike+ details-- distance: 9.27 miles, time: 1:16:40, avg pace: 8:15/mile, calories: 1151
    --temp at start: around 48F, at finish: around 55F....very sunny, slight breeze on the first 1/2 going North
    --my usual run along the Consolidated Canal, from the 202/San Tan Fwy overpass to Warner/Gilbert
    --legs still a little shakey at first, especially running on concrete. They were thankful when I was able to switch to dirt.
    --had a nice mix of music, especially on the last 3-ish miles to keep me going, B-52's, "Rock Lobster," Nirvana's, "(Smells like) Teen Spirit," Peter Gabriel's, "Big Time," then hit my power song Red Hot Chili Pepper's, "Higher Ground," which didn't quite get me to where I wanted to finish, and 3 Doors Down, "Kryptonite," finished me off.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Recovery run & marathon pics

by , January 23rd, 2009 at 01:03 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Managed to get in my first recovery run tonight. Stopped by Tempe Town Lake on my way home
    --air temp was 72 at start, 69 at finish, very humid
    --lots of other runners out. I think since ASU just started the spring semester some students have good intentions

Nike+ Graph: aztimm_run_01222009
    Nike+ details-- distance: 4.06 miles, time: 33'57", avg pace: 8'20"/mile, calories: 504

Overall, I felt pretty good for the run. I didn't want to go too fast, and felt pretty smooth. I don't remember noticing this in the past, but I could certainly feel the difference between concrete and dirt. My legs are still a bit tender, and the concrete made it even more so.
    It felt odd running so close to the marathon finish, never realized how close I ran to it. I was very tempted to use my trail shortcut during the race....

This may be against my better judgment, and I reserve the right to remove this at any point, but the marathon pics are in...here. I can't see myself in the marathon start (with the yellow balloons), and for some reason they included the 1/2 start. I'll have to look through the 'lost & found' as I remember them taking my picture a few other times (one as I ran through Old Town Scottsdale).
    No, I'm not a huge fan of lime green; the shirt was cheap, and I figured it would stick out.

Planning to swim tomorrow morning (usually Fast Friday), and lift tomorrow night. If I feel up to it, I'll do an easy 2-mile warm-up run before lifting.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Marathon recovery

by , January 19th, 2009 at 06:55 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    I wish they did our splits every mile, as that would show exactly where I started to sputter, but all they did was 10k, 1/2, 20 mile, and finish. It really isn't pretty...

10k: 0:54.51
    1/2: 1:54.56
    20 mile: 2:57.14
    finish: 4:09.17

Had I kept on pace after the 20 mile mark, I could have finished in a half-decent time. But of course reality set in.

Here is the graph from Nike+. In that system, I did 28.12 miles (which means my training runs were shorter than I thought). I faded between 23 and 24, and kept it down until mile 27 in that system. I'm actually surprised that my iPod didn't spaz out at all. But then I didn't fiddle with it. I did check my pace with it a few times, but pretty much just went with whatever music randomly came.

Looking back, some things I did wrong leading up to the marathon, along with my running taper....I still lifted weights last Thursday, just 3 days before. I swam mostly usual swim workouts, even on Friday, 2 days prior. My diet was mostly high protein/low carb, and I kind of switched it to more carbs 2 days out. I think the diet needs to shift at least a week earlier to give my body time to adjust.

Anyway, I went to bed around 8:30 last night, woke up when I normally would have to swim, but went back to bed and slept until around 7. My legs were still quite sore when I woke up.

Eventually headed out around 12:30 for a bike ride on my mountain bike. Mind you, I hadn't ridden a bike for years, other than a few stationary bike warm-ups at the gym. I first rode to the Park & Ride (about 1-1/2 to 2 miles) to get a feel for how long it will take me, if I finally take the plunge to try our public transit system (it took 10 min). Then I rode around Tumbelweed Park, and eventually back to the Consolidated Canal. Took the canal up past where I started, and to Chandler Blvd/Cooper Rd, then back home. I did stop a few times to take a breather, got some water, etc. But I really felt like I was cheating; even at a fairly relaxed pace I just flew along, compared with running. All in, I did around 6 miles.

Went to the gym after that. It was extremely tempting to do some weights, but I didn't, just headed to the pool...Short Course Yards
    500 easy
    200 easy pull w/ pull buoy
    200 easy pull w/paddles (just fingers, didn't use wrist straps) + pull buoy
    200 easy
    Then headed into the hot tub and stretched in there. It felt really good; I probably should have done that yesterday.

Depending how I feel in the morning, I'll probably head to swim workout with the team, but will probably go in a slower lane than normal. I may head to the gym for weights after work...don't want my upper body to get stale, but will only go if I feel up to it.

Updated January 19th, 2009 at 07:13 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Marathon--completed

by , January 18th, 2009 at 06:22 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    I've been a bit cryptic in my blog over the past few days, I didn't want to give away that I was doing the marathon today. But I let the cat out of the bag last night, I was reading another blog (specifically Paul Wolf's), and he was just whining...so I commented that if I can do this, he could at least try a 500. That wasn't very nice, but hopefully he has some thick skin. At least his pain was just ~6 min (maybe 7 if he completely died), while mine was over 4 hours...

I did it, finished my first marathon, nearly ideal weather (at the end almost warm ~65-70, but chilly at start ~45-50), but didn't quite make my goal. Definitely a textbook case of what NOT to do; went out too fast, didn't stop to drink enough, and konked out somewhere around 20-22 miles. Ended up walking at least 2, maybe 3 miles. I think my final was something like 4:10.

It was an amazing experience, but not something I want to repeat in the near future (subject to change of course). I definitely would need longer training runs. I'm simply amazed that people can swim 2-1/2 miles, bike 112 miles, and then do this....

What next? I don't plan to run until at least Thursday, and even then probably only like 3 miles. I guess I can switch phases and work on some swimming goals.

Oh, and strangely, my weight was a bit HIGHER than I expected when I got home. I did drink at least 3 bottles of water after I finished, had 2 bags of chips, and little bits of Cyclomax (kinda like Gatorade but not as good, but free...), some oranges, some other cr*p I normally wouldn't eat.l

I'll eventually post more info, maybe my splits (it doesn't seem that the 20 mile one took), maybe my Nike+ (which was a bit off, it says I ran 28+ miles), and maybe eventually pictures (as long as I look somewhat presentable).
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Thurs-Fri Jan 15-16 PM/AM workouts

by , January 16th, 2009 at 11:50 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Thurs Jan 15: PM gym workout
    made it to the gym, focus was biceps and back/shoulders
    * biceps: started with standing curls w/a 70# curvy bar (4 sets of 12), seated preacher single-arm dumbell curls, 1 set of 15 (35#), 1 set of 15 (37.5#), 1 set of 12 (45#), 1 set of 12 (50#), bicep preacher curl machine 3 sets of 12 (90#, did this after the back/shoulders)
    * back/shoulders: lat pull-down 3 sets of 12 (1 @90#, 2 @105#), shoulder press 3 sets of 15 (1 each 90-100-110), seated row 3 sets of 15 (again 1 each at 90-100-110), lat raise machine 3 sets of 12 (40-45-50)
    * mini abs set: 3 sets of 50 on the Ab-X, 50 elevated situps, 20 elevated situps w/10# weight, 20 Rocky elevated situps, 10 elevated situps
    went in the hot tub and soaked for about 10 min
    --I was surprised how much I was able to do with the single-arm dumbell curls. I varied things a little (per tips I found on another forum), and think it was a good choice.

Fri Jan 16, 6AM swim workout with the team, ASU Rec Center, SCY
    --did 60 pushups and held The Plank for 2 min before leaving home
    --air temp was around 45F, the water around 78, still felt chilly

600 warm-up
    4 x 150 descend 1-4 @ :45 rest
    speed set....
    4 x 100 @ 2 min, #1-25 fast/75 easy, #2-50/50, #3 75/25, #4 all out
    4 x 75 @ 1:30, #1 ez, #2-25 fast/50 easy, #3-50 fast/25 ez, #4 all out
    4 x 50 @ 1 min, #1 ez, #2 12.5 fast/remainder easy, working up to 50 fast on #4
    4 x 25 @ :30, #1 ez, working up to #4 fast
    --notes my fast were about 100-1:10, 75-:52, 50-:31, 25-:14
    300 easy cool-down
    total: just 2500 yards

there was an 800 team pursuit after the fast set, but I opted out, want to save my energy for the weekend.

planning to get to the gym tonight, just a 2-mile easy to medium treadmill run (no faster than an 8:15 pace), maybe a 4-500 loosen down in the pool.

Updated January 16th, 2009 at 12:00 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Tues-Wed Jan 13-14

by , January 14th, 2009 at 02:14 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Tues-Wed Jan 13-14
    Been in kind of a funk lately, but it seems to be passing.

AM Swim Tues Jan 13:
    Started out as an OK swim, did the warm-up (around 600), then a pre-set (I think 6 x 75), then the main set came...8 x (125, then 75). I was fine on the first round (going 3rd/last), then on round #2, suddenly the 2 guys ahead of me disappeared, and 3 guys were behind me. Turns out the coach started shuffling people around. I was in no mood to lead, got out and went in the lap pool. Started out just swimming, before I knew it I did 500, then 1000...stopped at a mile. Then did a 200 pull (paddles and buoy), 200 kick (w/zoomers, alternating flutter kick front/back with dolphin kick front/back), then a 200 easy. All in, I got something like 3650 yards.

Went to the gym last night (closer to my office), the parking lot was a mess, but strangely the gym wasn't too busy, turns out there was a class. Anyway, did a 4-mile pace run on the treadmill, had an overall pace of 7:58/mile, with the last mile under 7:30.
    then did some abs...found an elevated situp board (2 of them actually), cranked out 50 situps, break then 20 more. Then I noticed the guy next to me adjusting his...so I did also, and it seemed like I was almost vertical. Did 2 more sets of 20 like that. Moved to the Ab-X machine, did 1 set of 50.
    Changed, went in the pool, did a 4-500, pretty nice pace, trying to keep high elbows, work on technique. Went in the hot tub and really stretched my legs

Wed: AM Swim with team
    600 warmup
    8 x 50, 25 kick on back (no equip), 25 ez swim...I was 2nd in my lane, and the guys behind me were cheating and doing backstroke, so I ended up moving down a lane, went from a :55 to 1 min interval
    8 x 25 @ :40, kind of pacing set
    Four rounds of the following
    --3 x 100 @ :05 rest (ended up doing 1:20)
    --200 easy @ 3:30
    strangely, the lane I left, supposedly faster, did their 100s on 1:25. On each round, I came in around 1:12 on the first, the second around 1:15 (1:18 on the 4th round), and around the same on the 3rd (right into the easy anyway).
    200 warm-down
    total: 3400 yards

probably going to the gym tonight, hoping to do biceps and back/shoulders. I say probably because I went to get lab work done this morning (have a routine doctor's appt next week), and the tech didn't seem to know what he was doing. I had a bad experience 'donating' plasma in college (to get money for spring break), and have been pretty squeemish with that since. I'll see how my arm feels....

_____
    Well I've been advised by a few people that lifting after having issues with my arms probably isn't a good idea, especially doing bicep curls. So maybe I'll just go to the gym and do some cardio (bike or something), some abs stuff, then swim. This is a bummer, but one guy said that it could make a bad scar, or worse, start bleeding again. Hopefully tomorrow....

Updated January 14th, 2009 at 07:53 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Mon Jan 12

by , January 13th, 2009 at 12:09 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Swam this morning. I felt very out of things, didn't sleep well or much last night, and pretty much just went through the motions. I think it was around 2,000 to 2,500 SCY. Supposed to be some IM, but I just did all free. Supposed to be some fast stuff at the end, but I got out.

Went to the gym after work. Did a 2 mile warmup run, then some weights/machines focus on chest and triceps. Not as busy as last week.

Probably go to the gym tomorrow and do a 4-mile treadmill run. Depending when I get there and how I feel, maybe I'll do more weights or swim.

I did not register for the Phoenix marathon. There is a very slight chance that I will try to at the fitness expo on Friday (if the race is even open at that point), but otherwise I'm going to try to train as if I'm not. My next shot at a marathon is probably October, the Steamtown/Scranton PA race, if it fits into my work schedule.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Sun Jan 11, 2009: Long Run

by , January 11th, 2009 at 02:11 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Sun Jan 11, 2009: made it out this AM for a run!
    --did some stretching and just 30 pushups before heading out
    --temp at start: around 38F, at finish: around 56F

Nike+ graph: aztimm_run_01112009
    Details from Nike+-- distance: 14.74, time: 2:00:16, avg pace: 8:09/mile, calories: 1829

General notes: my 'usual' run along the Consolidated Canal, starting near the Loop 202/San Tan Fwy overpass, up to Warner/Gilbert, then back down to almost Ocotillo, then back to the start. started around 8:40, wore a usual pair of shorts and a short-sleeved top. Yea I was cold, but quickly warmed up. Actually thought of taking off my shirt for a while. Another pretty much picture-perfect AZ day, just some very high clouds, a slight breeze. Had a guy about .1 or .2 miles ahead of me for the first 3-1/2 miles, was GREAT to pace off of him. He either stopped or turned around at the footbridge 1/2 mile before Warner Rd. Had a slew of fantastic music...Metallica's, "Enter Sandman," around 4 miles, and Robert Palmer's, "Doctor Doctor," about 2 miles before the end, just to name a few. I felt GREAT!

Updated January 12th, 2009 at 08:15 AM by aztimm

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Fri Jan 9, 2009 run, weights and swim

by , January 10th, 2009 at 01:11 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Friday Jan 9, made it to the gym after work on my way home.

Left work around 5:30, traffic wasn't too bad, got to the gym shortly after 6. The gym wasn't too crowded; someone once told me the people at the gym on Friday nights are either die-hard gym people, or male strippers. I guess I'd fall into the first category, but don't consider myself die-hard, yet at least. Supposedly the strippers go so they look more pumped up when they start their gigs.

Started off with a nice 2-mile treadmill run:
    Nike+ Graph: aztimm_run_01092009
    Nike+ details-- distance: 2.03 miles, time: 16:25, avg pace: 8:05, calories: 252
    I had a rough start, my left leg seemed to be bothering me, but it worked itself out after about 1/2 mile. With such a short run, it hardly seems bothering with the iPod, I think I went through 3 or 4 songs. The last was, "Mr Roboto," by Styx, which surprisingly has a good running beat.

Moved over to weights, primary focus was chest + triceps:
    * chest: bench press w/bar in the racks 2 sets of 12 w/45s on each side and 2 sets of 12 w/50s on each side. decline free bar bench 2 sets of 12 w/35s on each side and 1 set of 12 w/40 on each side (got someone to spot that), decline dumbell flys 3 sets of 15 w/45s, and 4 rounds of seated fly machine (this machine seems the most popular in the gym) 4 sets of 15 with 100-110-120-130 lbs each (note this was being used so did the 1st triceps set then came back to this)
    * triceps: 3 sets of 10 each arm standing tri curl w/25 lb dumbell, 3 sets of 12 tricep pulldown with the multi machine set to 80 lbs (note I did this right after the fly machine and it seemed much tougher than normal), 3 sets of 12 on the tri pushdown machine (kind of like a reverse bicep curl I think with 40 or 50 lbs), finished with the seated dip machine 3 rounds of 12 (can't remember weights)
    * mini abs set: 3 sets of 15 on the ab crunch machine (don't remember weights), and 2 sets of 50 on the Ab-X (this seems to be my favorite now)

changed and went in the pool, did about a 500 (I lost count), first 200 around 50-60%, worked to up around 80%, then the last 100 or so tapering off again. didn't really have time for a real set, but this felt good after all the abuse my chest and tris took. then sat in the hot tub for about 5 min.

I was supposed to meet someone to workout together. Of course he emailed me and said he'd be there by 8PM. I replied that I'd be gone by then.... Silly me to think that could actually work. The guy I asked to spot me for the 1 round seemed glad to help, and I'll just continue doing that I guess.

Not workout related, but had another light rail experience today. Went with some co-workers to Mill Ave for lunch. Seemed a little silly to pay $2.50 to just travel 2 stops, so after lunch (great place called Rula Bula) I took the train to the east end of the line, just for kicks. Actually saw a transit worker checking for tickets (I had mine). On the way back, a woman got on, "I just transferred from a bus," she told him, but didn't have a ticket...he made her get off at the next stop. Evidently they're not fining yet though (fine is $50 plus about $99 in fees/court costs). I did see the Park & Ride where the Express Bus stops that comes from down my way. My next piece is to dig out my mountain bike, make sure it works, and ride to the local Park & Ride (about 1-1/2 mile from home), time it, then go for my public transit adventure to work sometime.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Friday Jan 2...run

by , January 2nd, 2009 at 07:49 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Friday Jan 2, 2009, got out for another run this afternoon. Started around 2 PM.
    --temp was in the mid-60s again, and again nothing but blue skies. a little more wind, especially on the return portion
    --ran along the Consolidated Canal, but went South this time, from around the 202 San Tan Fwy Overpass, down to Ocotillo. Ran along the West side both ways; the East side has a concrete sidewalk most of the way (but lighting for evenings). The West side is either packed dirt or blacktop, either of which I'd rather.

Graph from Nike+: aztimm_run_01022009
    Nike+ details-- distance: 6.3 miles, time: 52:52, pace: 8:20/mile, calories: 782
    Had a hard time starting, my legs felt a little sore, even though I had done some good stretching before heading out. Thankfully this worked itself out after about 1/2 mile. Saw a few others out running, a few groups of bikers, and a few people on dirt bikes (they aren't supposed to be there, per SRP rules). I did have to stop on the way back @ McQueen Rd waiting to cross the street for a little while, which is why the graph dipped. The only remarkable music was somewhere 1/2 mile or so before that, Chumbawamba's, "Tubthumping," may have picked up my pace a bit.

Heading to the gym in a little bit. Hoping to focus on chest + triceps, then get in ~2000 yds in the pool.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Mon Dec 29: gym workout

by , December 30th, 2008 at 01:15 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Monday Dec 29, stopped by the 24 Hour Fitness @ Dobson/8th St in Mesa (Mesa Riverview) on my way home. My membership includes access at all their clubs, this is pretty convenient to my office.

started out with a short treadmill run. originally was gonna do a 5k (and that's what I set my iPod for), but decided to cut it short to get in more other stuff
    graph from Nike+: aztimm_run_12292008
    run details-- distance: 2.38 miles, time: 18:33, avg pace: 7:46/mile, calories: 296
    my primary goal was to get out the kinks after my long run, and that was a success. I think Nike+ gave me more credit or something; according to the treadmill, I started at a 9 min pace, worked my way down to 8 min over the first 1/2 mile, then eventually down to 7:30....I think my avg was closer to 8 min.

then moved over to work on biceps and back. did the following biceps sets:
    * seated preacher curl w/barbell....started at 45, then 55, 60, 70, 15 reps each
    * seated preacher curl w/dumbell....did 3 sets on each arm with 37-1/2 (yea, I thought it odd they had that weight)
    * machine dumbell curl, preacher-style, 3 sets, don't remember the weights
    * machine dumbell curl, seated but went through more motion, 3 sets, can't remember weights
    then did some back/shoulder/lats exercises, all machines:
    * seated dips (this machine was evil)
    * seated shoulder press
    * seated lat press
    * seated lat pull
    had enough weights, and moved to abs
    * around 50 elevated situps, then rotated in 10 with 10 lb weight, 10 w/o 3 times
    * 2 rounds of 10 leg raises (I need work on this)
    * 3 rounds on the "Ab-X" machine, first round 30, #2-3 20
    tried to do some pull-ups, just for kicks...did a whopping 3

changed and went in the pool, more to just stretch out...
    400 warm-up, started out very easy, gradually faster...last 100 was at about 85-90%
    8 x 25, odd med free @ :45, even FAST fly @ :30 (held around 16)
    200 easy cool-down
    then jumped in the hot tub for around 5 min
    strangely, there was a sign near the pool, "NO FLIP TURNS." I pretended I didn't see it, how silly. I guess if someone doesn't know what they're doing there could be trouble, especially on the shallow side (3 feet). The pool seemed like 25 yards, just 3 lanes, but I had one to myself (doing fly will usually do that).

If it is possible, this gym is even nicer than the one near my home. So many machines, so many dumbells....heck even the showers have private stalls with room to change. This one even had a suit spinner. Guess I never knew what I was missing.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Light Rail Adventure

by , December 29th, 2008 at 05:23 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Not workout related, but thought some of you might get a kick out of this.

The metro Phoenix Light Rail (named, "Metro") opened on Saturday. It is free through 4AM on 1/1/09, thereafter it will be $1.25 each way.

I had tentatively made plans with a co-worker who works at our downtown Phoenix office to have lunch today or tomorrow. Well he emailed me this morning, and we setup a place to meet at 12:30.

I left my office around 11:30, to drive about 1/2 mile to the nearest stop (Priest/Washington). They say the trains come every 10 minutes, but there is no schedule posted. So I thought I'd err on the side of caution.

No problems parking, however I saw a train just before I arrived. I walked over to the platform, there were many others. Some asked me to take their picture, so I also had them take mine. I think I waited around 3-5 min...and of course took a picture of the train as it arrived. The train was PACKED!!! But having just been in London and Paris, I didn't hesitate to push my way on.

The ride took about 20 min (just driving would probably be similar). I chatted with a couple on the train, they were just taking it from the beginning, they asked me where they should eat lunch. They also took my picture on the train, pretty much up against the doors.

It was kind of refreshing arriving downtown without fighting traffic, getting into a garage, finding a place to park, etc. I had a nice lunch, and as we were leaving I saw a train arriving, so I rushed to get it. The trip back took about 25 min, if possible the train was even more crowded (especially around the basketball arena and baseball field).

Overall, not a bad experience. And I'd certainly consider paying for it (especially on work's dime). In fact, I've looked into taking an express bus from near home (a new park & ride), connecting to the light rail. It would make swimming difficult, as I tend to just throw everything in my car (would probably switch to noon or evening workouts, as 6am would be tough). But if gas prices go up again, I'd think pretty seriously.

One interesting thing I noticed is that people were talking to each other, even strangers. I was playing with my iPhone on the return, a kid sitting near me had an iTouch and asked me about my phone. We have almost no sense of community here, and the train might just be a place where people could connect.

______
    Edited to add in a photo (taken with my iPhone). Didn't realize I could upload photos, may have to post some....

Updated December 30th, 2008 at 01:41 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light-rail_train.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	6231  
  13. Mon Dec 29: swim

by , December 29th, 2008 at 11:20 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Monday Dec 29, 6am swim workout with the team
    Mona Plummer Aquatic Complex, we swam in the warm-up pool (SCY)
    --I didn't sleep well last night. My legs were very jumpy for at least an hour after I went to bed. Guess that's one advantage of morning runs, I usually give myself time to just veg out afterwards, when these things work themselves out
    --did 60 pushups and held The Plank for 2 min before leaving home....my weight was 161
    air temp: 40F, water temp: around 82F
    7-800 warm-up (didn't really count)
    6 x 100, started @ 1:15, added 5 sec on each. the first few were tough, and pretty much touch + go
    100, 1 x 100 @ 1:25
    200, 2 x 100 @ 1:30/100 pace
    300, 3 x 100, long @4:30, 100s @1:35
    400, 4 x 100, long @6:00, 100s @1:40
    easy 200 warm-down
    total: around 3500 yards
    note: the 400 was supposed to be IM; other than the fastest lane, no one even attempted it. my legs were quite fried, and simply doing free for everything was tough enough

planning to stop by the gym on my way home....prolly a 5k treadmill run to get the kinks out, then mostly biceps+back weights, then maybe an easy recovery swim.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Sun Dec 28: long run

by , December 28th, 2008 at 09:30 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Sunday Dec 28: weekly long run, did it in the afternoon, started around 2:20 PM
    temp at start: around 55F, at finish: around 57F. breezy off/on throughout, felt cooler, especially toward the end
    I didn't drink enough water before running. I started to cramp up right around 1 mile, not a good sign. I walked a little, it subsided, and I actually started to feel pretty good. Stopped around 4-1/2 miles for a quick water break, around 7 for a quick bathroom and water break. Then around 7-1/2 miles, my iPod locked up. I walked a bit (about 1/4 to 1/2 mile) to reboot it. I had run almost exactly an hour up to that point. Originally, I had set Nike+ for 20 miles; after rebooting, I set it for a 1/2 Marathon.
    Graph from Nike Plus (after initial lockup): aztimm_run_12282008
    Nike+ stats-- distance: 11.19 miles, time: 1:48:14, pace: 9:45/mile, calories: 1388
    initial estimate: distance: 7.5 miles, time 1 hour, pace: 8:30/mile
    total estimate: distance: 18.69 miles, time: 2 hrs, 48 min, 14 sec
    No, that isn't a blip in the Nike+ graph, I died about 2 miles before the end. I started to notice something was wrong while I was running past a golf course. A golf ball almost hit me, and I was pretty much oblivious to the whole thing (the golfer seemed pissed that I didn't go after his ball, it went in the canal). When I turned around at Riggs Rd, a guy passed me, I thought I might be able to keep up, but it wasn't even close. I stopped in a park for water, about 1/2 way between Chandler Heights and Ocotillo...at that point I felt like I could drink water forever. But it wasn't until I crossed McQueen, and then Queen Creek that my legs started to give out. I had to walk in spots...I tried to look for a shadow, a tree, etc and told myself I'd walk to that, then run again. Finally, I hit the final water fountain (about a mile to go)...stopped again, drank plenty of water, and somehow managed to run that final mile back.
    When I finally got home, I grabbed my water, drank down a large glass immediately. Weighed myself, down at 157 (I'm normally around 165). I grabbed some PowerAid, drank 1/2 a bottle, more water, and just scarfed down a Balance Bar. I'm now feeling somewhat like I can move again.
    I really don't know about a marathon. I'd still need to do ~7 more miles. I'd definitely need a plan on hydration, and probably nutrition. I seriously felt like I was going to throw up when I got home (plus I just felt like I couldn't even stand)...7 more miles would have been a major struggle. But I welcome any ideas....the Phoenix Marathon is 3 weeks from today, Jan 18. The Apache Junction is about a month later, in mid-Feb. I haven't registered for either, but both are still open for registration.

Edited the total distance, need to learn better math (maybe my brain was fried from running)

Updated December 29th, 2008 at 12:31 PM by aztimm (Corrected error)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Sat Dec 27: swim with the team

by , December 27th, 2008 at 05:55 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Sat Dec 27, made it to swim with the team, Noon workout ASU Rec Center pool, Short Course Yards
    I probably swim on Saturday with the team about once or twice a year
    there was some confusion over which pool the workout was at. thankfully I arrived late, by the time I got there, the coach had arrived. some folks went to the other pool, then came back.
    air temp was around 48F, water temp 82F. we had a freeze warning last night, don't think it did get that cold, but another for tonight, and they're calling for lows in the upper 20s tonight.
    800 warm-up
    8 x 50 'variable' @ 1 min (1/2 easy 1/2 fast, 1/2 fast 1/2 easy, build, fast x 2)
    10 x 100 @ 3 min, best average....held mostly 1:07 to 1:09, did an easy 50 after each
    200 easy
    10 x 50 @ 1:30, best average....held 32s and 33s, did a few easy 25s between some
    300 easy cool down
    total around 3600, including my easy 'in between' swims

planning to do a long run (18-20 miles) tomorrow morning, however I despise running in the cold....not sure if I'll go later or bear with the cold. ideally would like to start by 8 so I'm done by 10:30. then depending how I feel, probably a gym workou
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Fri Dec 26: weights and quick swim

by , December 27th, 2008 at 12:09 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Fri Dec 26, PM workout at the gym
    went to the nearyby 24 Hour Fitness with my Costco certificate. It was amazing how easy it was; there was no hard sell to upgrade or anything. I was amazed at all the equipment the place had. It had been years since I've been to a proper gym; I've been to a few hotel workout rooms, some were half-decent. But this real gym had an obscene amount of equipment. If anyone is even thinking about doing this, definitely grab a Costco certificate while they have them.

Main focus of weights was chest and triceps. Started with an 'assisted' bench; the bar is in racks on the sides, I figured it would be safer to do this. Did 4 rounds of 12 reps, starting with 35 on each side (1 round), 40 (1 round), 45 (2 rounds). Then moved to incline bench, did 3 rounds of 12 w/25 on each side. Then did a seated bench machine 3 rounds, 35 each side (1 round), and 2 rounds w/45 each side. Moved to a fly machine, did 4 rounds of 12 reps, one each at 100-110-120-130. Finished chest with some decline fly dumbells, 3 rounds w/40 each arm. Did a set of tricep curls w/dumbell, 3 rounds of 12 each arm, #1 w/20, #2-3 w/25. Found a military press-type machine, did 3 rounds of 12 w/50 lbs on each side. Finally, used that cross-type machine, 3 rounds 80 lbs each side, 12 reps each round.

Then went in the locker room, changed into my swimsuit, went to the pool. Decided to do a 'less is more' workout.... The pool seems to be 25 m.
    400 warm-up
    8 x 25 @ 45 sec, 2 x IM order
    100 easy
    100 IM FAST @ 2:30
    50 easy
    100 Free FAST
    200 easy cool-down
    total swim: 1150

then went in the hot tub for about 5 min....felt GREAT on my legs, chest, arms....basically all over. the gym has a great locker room and showers too. all-in-all I was there about 2 hours.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Friday Dec 26: run

by , December 26th, 2008 at 05:06 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Friday Dec 26....just in from a run. Thought of running yesterday, but then it started raining. Was quite heavy last night, woke up and could hear the rain hitting the windows. Weather today isn't the best, but at least it wasn't raining when I was out running. There was a strong wind after I turned around, funny I didn't notice a tailwind when I was going the other direction. Four Peaks (just NE of town) got a dusting of snow, I was able to see it for about 1/2 mile before my turnaround.
    Nike+ graph: aztimm_run_12262008
    Run details-- distance: 9.05 miles, time: 1:16:17, avg pace: 8:25/mile, calories: 1123
    Was my 'usual' run along the canal, from my house (close to where the Santan Fwy Loop 202 crosses it) up to the corner of Warner/Gilbert, in the town of Gilbert. Saw just a few others out. Passed a guy on a bike around 8 miles; how a runner can pass anyone on a bike is beyond me.
    I think Nike+ got a bit squirrley again; my iPod said I did mile 1 in right around 8 min, Nike+ is saying 7:02...plus I did pause for a few sec to drink water around 4.25 miles (thanks Town of Gilbert for turning the fountain back on), but that shouldn't have dropped me down to a 12+ pace. Anyway, it was good to get out. I didn't do any exercise yesterday.
    I had been toying with getting the Costco 24 Hour Fitness 2-year certificate for a while; well no more, Santa got it for me. There's one about 2 miles from home, as well as 4-5 miles from my office (2 actually). Plus they're in Vegas and Reno, where I travel for work (not New Mexico yet). I just found out last week that Oregon is added to my area, and yes 24-Hr is in PDX; I'll probably have 4+ trips up there next year.
    I'll probably stop by the local 24-Hour Fitness later today or tomorrow to start my membership. I've been getting stale with my weights at home, and it will be nice to have backup pools + treadmills. Plus if I do want to run near work in the morning, I could always just use it to shower.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Wed Dec 24: AM Swim

by , December 24th, 2008 at 11:04 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Wed Dec 24, made it to swim with the team, ASU Mona Plummer aquatic complex (SCY mostly)
    --did 60 pushups and held The Plank for 2 min before leaving home
    air temp: 48F, water around 77/78F
    700-800 warm-up (don't remember exactly)
    20 x 50 @ 1 min, descending in groups of 4, each group getting faster
    200 easy
    we then moved to the end of the pool, setup 12-1/2 yards
    2 x 100 easy (to get a feel for the pool)
    3 x 75 @ 2 min
    3 x 50 @ 1:30
    4 x 25 @ 1 min
    4 x 12-1/2 @ 1 min
    went back to the main pool and did a 200 warm-down
    we had a pretty large group; we shared the main pool with the ASU team, and only had 5 lanes, but 5 swimmers per lane. it was a challenge swimming in the 12-1/2 yd setup, you pretty much push-off/kick, and get in just 2-3 strokes, then flip. it is great practice for sprinting (all the sets there were fast)
    total: around 2700-2800

no workouts for me tonight (its Christmas Eve after all). I'm hoping to get in at least a nice run tomorrow, possibly another on Friday (maybe 5-9 miles each). I'm off from work on Friday, no real plans so far.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Tues Dec 23: PM run

by , December 24th, 2008 at 01:35 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Tues Dec 23, got in a nice run after work. drove to downtown Tempe, got a haircut, then parked at Tempe Beach Park (across the street from the US Airways HQ).
    Nike+ Graph: aztimm_12232008
    Run details-- distance: 8.12 miles, time: 1:06:07, pace: 8:08/mile, calories burned: 1007
    temp at start (around 6PM) & finish: around 55F
    it wasn't too busy this time running here, just a few people near the parking area and the boat rentals. there were lots of puddles and muddy areas, but thankfully the weather held pretty well during my run. one of the underpasses (under Curry Rd) was flooded; of course I realized as I was about to go into it, I quickly U-turned, and went up to street level. The McKellips underpass was pretty wet, but the running/biking path was decent.
    Overall, I felt good; I didn't realize how good until I finished. I was pretty psyched that I ran that fast. I guess all that training I did before my vacation wasn't a total waste. Still have a little lingering cough, doesn't bother me so much while running, more after I finish. I didn't do any situps or crunches in the park after I finished, the grass looked a bit too wet.

Oh, and got great workout news....our AM swim will be on after all, at the main competition pool. Toying with the idea of swimming on Saturday (noon), we'll see what happens.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Mon Dec 22 PM/Tues Dec 23 AM

by , December 23rd, 2008 at 11:31 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Mon Dec 22 PM: managed to get in a quick weights set after I got home (maybe 45-50 min). Focus was on chest, triceps and biceps. Did my usual seated chest press (machine), chest flys (machine), decline chest press (dumbells), decline chest flys (dumbells), tricep curls (dumbell), tricep pull downs (machine), and bicep curls (dumbells). Finished up with about 300 crunches. Man, my chest and triceps were really burning, guess that's what a couple weeks off from weights will do.

Tues Dec 23, made it to the 6AM swim workout with the team, ASU Rec Center
    --did 60 pushups (chest burning) and held The Plank for 2 min before leaving home
    air temp: around 50F, still rainy/drizzly, water around 78
    400 warm-up
    2 rounds of the following--
    --400 pull (with pulling gear), 100 easy
    --300 swim, 100 easy
    --200 IM, 100 easy
    --100 non-free, 100 easy (I did breast)
    intervals were supposed to be 1:30 per 100 throughout; however on round 1, the guy leading our lane decided to go with the faster lanes. I came in after the 300, he had already left, and all I could think was how slow I must be. Turned out we did 1:20 base for the longer sets on round 1.
    finished with an easy 200 cool-down
    total: around 3400 yards
    we had a surprisingly large group today, about 4 people per lane. However, at the end someone from the Rec Center came out to tell us that the facility will be closed tomorrow. The coach said he'll try to get us in at the Mona Plummer pool, otherwise I may swim at noon. The last thing I need this time of year, with all the extra candy, cakes, snacks, etc is to slack off from workouts.

planning to do a 7-mile run @ Tempe Town Lake tonight, as long as the rain isn't too bad. I don't mind a light drizzle, but running in a downpour isn't fun.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast