View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Friday 09212018

by , September 21st, 2018 at 01:47 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    wow, I haven't posted any workouts here in a while! Been swimming thought.

Friday AM solo swim @ Sendero.
    I browsed the Workouts forum yesterday and adopted it a bit.

1000 w/u, with a bit of stroke

100 kick, w/board and fins (mix of dolphin and flutter)
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

2 x 225 done as 25 drill/25 free/25 back/25 free/25 drill, w/fins
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

100 kick, w/board and fins (mix of dolphin and flutter)
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

150 easy stretch out

6 x 250 @ 3:45
    (1st 50 fast on the first, 2nd on the 2nd, etc...with the last 250 all fast)

50 easy

4 x 50 breast @ 1:00

50 easy

6 x 150 @ 2:15
    (1st 50 fast on the first, 2nd on the 2nd, 3rd on the third, repeat)

50 easy

4 x 50 breast @ 1:00

100 easy

200 stretch out pull, Agility paddles + buoy

200 w/d

TTL: 5200 yards

this was really a good workout! I'll have to check out that forum more often. during the second set of 50s breast I almost felt like I was going to get sick. that rarely happens when I swim solo.

the pace clock wasn't working so I had to use my watch for pacing. even though I wear it, I prefer looking at a clock...not quite sure why.
    held some decent times through the workout.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Friday 08242018

by , August 24th, 2018 at 05:46 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Had a busy week! Been swimming, gradually getting back at it.

Monday: no swim. 40 min on hotel treadmill

Tuesday: 1300 yards in community pool

Wednesday: 3300 yards @ Sendero

Thursday: back to the gym. 6 miles on treadmill, weights, 1600 yard swim

Friday:
    (I really felt yesterday's weights when I woke up! that's why I don't like to taper...)

1000 w/u, various

100 kick w/fins + board
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

2 x 225 w/fins (drill/free/back/free)
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

100 kick w/fins + board
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

100 easy

4 x 100 @ 1:40 (4th/3rd/2nd/1st 25 breast)
    100 easy free @ 1:40
    100 breast (1:24)

100 easy

4 x 200 pull @ 2:55 w/buoy + Agility paddles

100 easy

4 x 100 @ 1:30

200 pull w/buoy + Catalyst paddles

200 w/d

TTL: 4100 yards, 72 min

Butterfly: 75 yards
    Backstroke: 150 yards
    Breaststroke: 350 yards
    Freestyle: 3325 yards
    Kick: 200 yards

My shoulders are mostly back to normal after the swim. My chest hurt from weights yesterday. For some reason my abs are sore...to the point that I couldn't do my normal crunches at the end of weights yesterday (but I did planks and leg raises). I'll monitor...hopefully it is just recovery and not a sign of something else.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Sunday 08192018--Swim to the Moon 10k

by , August 21st, 2018 at 07:34 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Swim to the Moon, my first 10k, and longest continuous swim.

I can't remember when I last posted here...

Whenever I do an o/w swim, I go in with the intention to finish. Sure I have some soft target goals. But I never ever think that I'll come close to placing or anything. It is all for fun, and I use them as targets for training.

In preparation for this event, I had built up my swimming with long swims @ Barton Springs over the past few Sundays.
    My max was 5.5 miles on 8/5. One of my loops there is about 450m; I stopped after loops 5, 10, 15, and 20 for some water. I swam loops 11-15 with fins, and did 21-22 with paddles. That was the first time I wore a cap and it really helped.
    On Sunday 8/12 I was headed to Barton Springs when it started to pour rain. I headed to the gym pool and swam 8000 yards in about 2 hours. The first 3700 was straight through (with some stroke mixed in). Then I did 2 x 550, 2 x 500 @ 7:30, 2 x 400 @ 6:00, 2 x 300 @ 4:30, 2 x 200 @ 3:00, and 2 x 100 @ 1:30. At the end I was doing those in 1:20 and felt pretty happy.
    My last lifting session was on Thurs 8/9. I went to the gym for a treadmill/stretch session on 8/14. That last week I actually tapered (really tough for me). By Friday I only swam 3000 yards.

Friday night I flew up to Michigan. It was a cluster...got to my hotel about 2am, woke up around 7:30.
    They had a clinic and packet pickup that day, so I went to that. I got in the water; some of the first buoys were set up. I swam about 2 buoys out, then back again, just a very very easy stretch-out swim. My Apple Watch recorded .7 miles (that and normal walking was enough to put me over my daily goals )
    Part of packet pickup was getting a cap. They had 3 colors, based on expected finish. I took a yellow one, for the slowest group (I think 3:30 and beyond).

A friend of mine from ages ago met me, we went out to dinner. I drank about 1/2 of a beer with dinner. By the time we got back to the hotel I was exhausted. I think I went to bed around 9:30pm.
    My alarm went off at 4:50am. I had brought some Costco Aussie Bites with me (they're my go-to snack before workouts), and I ate some. Got ready and drove back to Halfmoon Lake. Was there in plenty of time.

They tried a new start this year, and it was something I had never seen before. The super-fast guys (who had a predicted finish of 2:20 or less) went off in a wave. From there they moved to the red caps, then gray, then yellow. I had positioned myself toward the front of the yellow. We went 3 seconds apart. So there was a clock time (from that first wave), then a chip time, from when I went over the starting matt.

Initially I had some goggle problems, seemed like many people were passing me. Finally got that somewhat fixed and got to swimming. Before I knew it I was passing people. Everyone with the yellow (slowest group) cap. Then I started to see gray caps.

The course went across Halfmoon Lake, then through some channels, through a smaller lake, more channels, then into Patterson Lake. They had said that the last channel was very narrow. I had it in my mind that I wanted to get through there before those fast studs were on their way back (the thought of swimming against that pushback gave me shudders). As I progressed along the course, I kept passing people. I got through that last channel and into Patterson Lake, no sign of anyone coming toward me. I started to curve one way into the lake when I noticed the group coming toward that channel. I probably missed them by 30 yards.

Had a few sighting issues across Patterson Lake; the kayakers/paddleboarders yelled at me a few times, but I got back on course. Just before the turnaround I passed my first red cap
    We had to get out of the water, have someone mark us off on a checklist, then get back in the water. They had some water there, so I drank some, then got back in. The clock time there said something like 1:32. I thought, "well that can't be right." But I wasn't about to waste time talking about it. It certainly boosted my ego a bit. That would be about as fast as my fastest 5k, and I didn't start at the clock time either.

The trip back was much busier. The 5k swim had started from the turnaround, so I was passing all of those people along the way (and I didn't know those cap colors, other than that they were different). I had to slow a bit through the channels, as there were still some 10k'ers going out when I was going back.

Before the swim another guy had told me that when I got back to Halfmoon Lake that there was about 2500m yet to go. Not sure if that is helpful or hurtful...but it was certainly encouraging when I got back into that lake. At least the narrow channels were done with.
    I was able to swim with some folks at that point, at least for short bits until I eventually passed them.

In addition to the 10k and 5k, there were shorter swims, I think 1.5 mile and .5. One of them had a Unicorn float as their turnaround. That was a pleasant sight! Those races also started later, so it got quite busy from then to the finish. It still seemed like I was passing so many people. I just kept at it.
    Before I knew it, I saw the finish chute. That was when I really started to turn things on. I swam all the way until the water was about 4-6" deep...then I got up (after initially stumbling), and made my way to the finish. They announced my name, that I was from Texas, and that I was the 3rd Texan to finish the 10k. I think the clock time was 3:02.

I had made arrangements with my friend and another who lived nearby to meet at the race finish. The one guy rode his bike over from the hotel. The gal met him there. I had told them it would take me 3-1/2 to 4 hours and not to rush. They had just gotten there 2 minutes before I got out. It was so nice to see them! (so often I do these swims alone and it does make a difference to see someone you know).

So I finished in 2:54:34, and even placed 4th in my age group. 51st overall out of 156, and 29th out of 85 males. My Apple Watch only registered 5.7 miles, but I know I kept to the course (kayakers/paddleboarders yelled at me a few times). Race was farily well-run...biggest complaint would be restrooms before. There were supposed to be several aid stations along the way; I only found 1, stopped there on the way out and back, and grabbed water at the turnaround. If this time is real, I guess it means that all of my recent training paid off. I'm still sifting through the pictures, none show up for my race number.
    PS: I wore a suit that had Smokey Bear on the rear, so was easy to spot. I did get a few comments from women before and after the swim.

View of the lake on Saturday:

The course from my Apple Watch:

My friend Barb (who I hadn't seen in 25 years) meeting me at the finish:

My official results.

Now I'm thinking of my next events. Probably the Highland Lakes Challenge this fall.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Sun-Mon 0729-07302018

by , July 30th, 2018 at 05:06 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Sunday:
    Another swim @ Barton Springs.

My goal was 20 loops...and I fell short with just 18.
    My watch registered:
    4.75 miles
    2 hours 47 min
    2094 active calories (2405 total)

Met some friends and chatted for a bit so had a little bit of a late start (about 6:45 am). Water seemed cooler than last week, but I thought I could go with it.
    As I swam in to turn near where we started, I kept an eye out for them. After 5 loops I saw them, they had done 4 and were calling it quits. I pressed on.
    Other than that brief (maybe 20-30 seconds) stop, I didn't stop at all. And that was part of my downfall. I really had a tough time warming myself back up again. My arms felt like they would fall off, especially on that last loop.

Lessons learned:
    * I hiked 6+ miles on Saturday morning, then swam 3000 yards in the gym pool that afternoon. I think I can skip that swim when I'm doing a monster swim on Sunday morning. (when I think about it, I ended up swimming over 10k between both swims)
    * I did bring a water bottle, but didn't drink from it until I finished. It would have been tough to get at it if I wanted it. I noticed some people leaving bottles and fins close to the edge. I need to do that next time. Just a quick break, swig a sip or so, then press on. Maybe every 5 loops.
    * If I feel that chilly, I really should wear a cap. I truly hate it, but most o/w swims require it (the 10k I'm doing does), so I should probably get used to it.
    * Start earlier. Even 15 min makes a big difference in the crowd size. By the time I was leaving, it was really crazy there. Almost ran into some kids on the last few loops.

I really didn't feel hungry, but ate a protein bar in my car on the way home, then ate breakfast anyway. I mostly vegged on the recliner in front of the tv (with a blanket) for much of the day.
    Later I went to the gym and did an easy 30 min on the treadmill--just to warm up. Between that, and a very easy 400 in the pool, and some time in the hot tub, I finally felt ok.

Barton Springs even looks great after a bad swim, and seeing this made me feel a bit better when I got out:

Monday AM solo swim @ Sendero
    was still feeling a bit weak, so majorly modified...

1400 w/u, with a ton of backstroke (made my arms feel better)

100 kick, w/fins + board
    50, done easy back/easy free w/fins

2 rounds (25 drill/25 free/25 back/25 free/25 drill) w/fins

100 kick, w/fins + board

100 easy

10 x 100 @ 1:40, done 75 free, 25 stroke. back on 3, 6, 9, the others breast

200 w/d

TTL: 3400 yards

Backstroke: 350 yards
    Breaststroke: 350 yards
    Freestyle: 2500 yards

It felt nice to just stretch out and not really worry about what I was doing too much.

I think I'll do 1 more long swim next Sunday (without the swim on Saturday), and with making the modifications I hope to finally get to that 20 loops, around 5 miles. Then begin my taper for the 10k event on Aug 19. It may not be pretty, but I think I can finish.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Wednesday 07252018

by , July 25th, 2018 at 04:24 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Wednesday solo swim @ Sendero

700 w/u various

100 kick w/fins + board
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

2 x (25 drill/25 free/25 back/25 free/25 drill)
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

100 kick w/fins + board
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

100 easy

Main sets:

500 free
    400 pull w/buoy + Catalyst paddles
    300, done as 50 free/25 breast (x4)
    200 w/fins, 75 free/25 back (x2)
    100 kick w/fins + board; 25 easy flutter/25 fast dolphin

2 x 50, 25 free/25 breast, 25 breast/25 free

4 x 25 IMO (with healthy rest after the fly), no equipment

300 pull w/buoy + Agility paddles

200 w/d

TTL: 3600 yards

Butterfly: 100 yards
    Backstroke: 175 yards
    Breaststroke: 275 yards
    Freestyle: 2750 yards
    Kick: 300 yards

I woke up very sore this morning, probably from weights at the gym yesterday. was so tempted to just skip the swim, but I dragged myself over there.
    I haven't swum any fly without fins in a few months, and I definitely felt that 25. I probably rested 10 seconds or more after it (according to my watch my time was 16, actually similar to with fins earlier in my workout). Perhaps some day I'll be at a point where I can easily swim fly effortlessly.
    I didn't have a workout planned for today. thought of doing 200s or something else that sounded boring, then I thought up this. ended up being a decent workout. not the volume I usually get in (usually around 4k), but I'll make that up with my long swim on Sunday. This was a little more stroke than normal.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Monday 07232018

by , July 23rd, 2018 at 05:38 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Monday AM solo swim @ Sender Springs

800 w/u various

100 kick w/fins + board
    50 easy free w/fins
    50 fast fly w/fins

2 rounds (25 drill/25 free/25 back/25 free/25 drill)
    50 easy free w/fins
    50 fast fly w/fins

100 kick w/fins + board
    50 easy free w/fins
    50 fast fly w/fins

100 easy

2 rounds:
    50, 25 breast/25 free @ :55
    50, 25 free/25 breast @ :55
    easy 50 free @ :55
    50 breast fast

100 easy

5 x 200 @ 3:00

100 easy

set w/fins:
    50, 25 back/25 free @ :55
    50, 25 free/25 back @ :55
    50 easy free @ :55
    50 back fast

50 easy
    50 breast fast

50 easy
    50 free fast

100 w/d

TTL: 3700 yards

The aerator was fixed and running this morning! It may be psychological, but there's something about seeing that water going, some hitting me when I swim under it, that makes me feel cooler.

I hadn't done fast 50s in forever. even though I was a little sore from yesterday, maybe the aerator gave me motivation to do it today. had some great times (for me):
    * first 50s breast: both 38
    * 50 back w/fins: 33
    * next 50 breast: 40
    * 50 fast free: 29

It felt great to get under 30 on that 50, especially at the end of a workout.
    Even on the 200s, I comfortably held 2:45.

yesterday I did another swim @ Barton Springs. started a little later this time, at 6:30, so I wouldn't have to swim in the dark (that kind of freaked me out last week). I stayed a little later and got in 2 hours. I stopped just once, after 10 loops, then did another 7.
    my watch had me swimming just under 6 miles, but realistically I think I was about 4.4
    it was getting busy, especially toward the end, but most people really didn't get in my way. There's one area where they stand, some go off the diving board, or float.
    and I really love the water temp at Barton Springs!
    I met a swimming friend I know from AZ (we swam masters together in Tucson, then we both moved to Phoenix and swam with the ASU group). she's lived in the area for 8 years and this was her first time at Barton Springs. she only did 5 loops, then took this picture after she got out:

I think I'll do 1-2 more long swims at Barton Springs (2-1/2 hours or so) before I begin my taper for my event, on Aug 19.
    I've heard mixed things about the water temp there; the website says 70-75, but some who've done it recently said it could be 78. I may swim at a normal lake once or twice before (but after my peak swim). it won't be long, about 90 min.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Monday 07162018

by , July 16th, 2018 at 07:02 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Monday AM solo swim @ Sendero Springs

1000 w/u various

100 kick w/fins + board
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

2 x (25 drill/25 swim/25 back/25 swim/25 drill) w/fins
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

100 kick w/fins + board
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

easy 125 swim

4 x 200 @ 3:00

easy 75 swim

3 x 200 pull w/buoy + Agility paddles @ 3:00

200 w/d

TTL: 3400, 58 min

Breaststroke: 150 yards
    Backstroke: 200 yards
    Freestyle: 2775 yards

I was a bit tired from doing a longer swim yesterday, so just took things easy today. plus the water was a little warm.

yesterday, I drove down to Barton Springs and swam somwhere around 3.5 to 3.7 miles (my Apple Watch got a bit squirrley and recorded 4.4 miles). The water there is always around 68, kind of took my breath away when I first got in, but I was fine once I settled into a decent pace.
    Saw an amazing sunrise over downtown Austin. It got pretty busy by the time I was finishing up. There's all kinds of swimmers and triathletes (yea some in wetsuits).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Monday 07092018

by , July 9th, 2018 at 09:45 PM (aztimm's training blog)

900 w/u various

2 rounds:
    * 100 kick, w/fins + board
    * 25 easy free
    * 25 fast fly

100 easy

25 easy (easier to see clock)

4 x 600 @ 9:00

75 easy

200 pull w/Agility paddles + buoy

200 w/d

TTL: 4200 yards (67 min)
    Butterfly: 50 yards
    Backstroke: 100 yards
    Breaststroke: 150 yards
    Freestyle: 3700 yards

thankfully the storms held off until later in the morning so the pool was open today. there were 5 of us at various points for lap swim. I swam right up until 7am, when the kids were starting to get in the water.

my times for the 600s were't too bad; the last was 8:22. 9 min gives plenty of rest, enough to recover a bit in between.

the rain came back in full force after I swam. I had enough of a break to take the dogs out for walks. then I got out for a walk, was a mile from home when I got caught in a downpour. was completely drenched by the time I got home.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Sunday 07082018

by , July 8th, 2018 at 10:37 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Saturday: swam just 2900 in the gym pool. main set was 10 x 100 @ 1:30
    backstroke: 50 yards
    butterfly: 50 yards
    breaststroke: 125 yards
    freestyle: 2475 yards
    kick: 200 yards

Sunday afternoon solo swim @ Sendero

1100 w/u various

2 rounds w/fins:
    * 100 kick w/fins + board
    * 25 easy free
    * 25 fast fly

100 easy

25 easy (get to the other side to better see the clock)

main set (ladder):
    50-100-150-200-250-300-300-250-200-150-100-50 all @ :45/50 pace

easy 25 back (get back to other side)

3 x 150 pull w/buoy + Agility paddles @ 2:05
    easy 100

50, done 25 breast/25 free @ :50
    50, done 25 bree/25 breast @ :50
    easy 50 free @ 1:00
    50 fast breast

200 pull w/buoy + Catalyst paddles

300 w/d

TTL: 4900 yards
    50 yards butterly
    150 yards backstroke
    250 yards breaststroke
    4250 yards freestyle
    200 yards kick

there were off/on storms during the day. I didn't see any lightninig, but when I got to the pool the guard said there had been a strike 12 min prior so I couldn't swim for 18 min. I considered just going to the gym pool...but waited in my car then went back. I think they were surprised.
    had the pool to myself for the whole warmup. then a family came and were playing in the open area. toward the end a guy came and got in the next lane swimming laps.

I used to do ladder sets all the time, but can't remember the last time I had done one. I'm always surprised how much rest I get on the longer swims. actually I still got a decent amount on the way back down. that 50 free was :36, and the 50 breast 41.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Friday 07062018

by , July 6th, 2018 at 07:15 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Wednesday: went down to Deep Eddy pool and swam a whopping ~6700 yards. Pool is 100 feet long (about 33.3 yards), so distance is approximate.
    I didn't write down my specifics and don't remember everything. Here's my watch stroke breakdown:
    backstroke: 66 yards (no flags)
    butterfly: 99 yards
    breaststroke: 462 yards
    freestyle: 5906 yards
    plus I did some kicking, about 266 yards

the water is so nice and cool that I felt like I could swim all day!

Thursday: just a short 1600 yards in the gym pool, after treadmill and weights:
    backstroke: 50 yards
    breaststroke: 125 yards
    freestyle: 1425 yards

Friday:
    got woken up at 4:30 am to storms. I was optimistic that Sendero would be open (storms had cleared out by then); I drove over there and a lifeguard said no....so off to the gym pool I went.

1200 w/u various

100 kick w/fins + board
    25 free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

2 x 125 w/fins done as 25 drill/25 free/25 back/25 free/25 drill
    25 free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

100 kick w/fins + board
    25 free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

100 easy

6 x 150 @ 2:15

100 easy

2 rounds:
    * 25 breast/25 free @ :50
    * 25 free/25 breast @ :50
    * 50 easy free @ 1:00
    * 50 fast breast
    * 100 easy

3 x 200 pull w/Agility paddles + buoy @ 2:50

200 w/d

TTL: 4300 yards
    butterfly: 75 yards
    backstroke: 150 yards
    breaststroke: 375 yards
    freestyle: 3500 yards
    (plus kicking: 200 yards)

just made the most of swimming in the indoor gym pool for a longer set. there were a few others who swam in the other lane (it is only 2 lanes), but no one bothered me.
    felt decent though much of the swim. my fast breast were 42 and 40, which is good for me.

Updated July 6th, 2018 at 07:28 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Monday 07022018

by , July 2nd, 2018 at 07:51 PM (aztimm's training blog)

800 w/u various

100 kick w/fins + board
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

2 x 25 drill/25 swim/25 back/25 swim/25 drill w/fins
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

100 kick w/fins + board
    25 easy free w/fins
    25 fast fly w/fins

75 easy (to get to the other side, easier to see the clock)

10 x 200 @ 3:00

125 easy

250 pull w/Agility paddles + buoy

200 w/d

TTL: 4100 yards
    Backstroke: 100 yards
    Breaststroke: 125 yards
    Freestyle: 3600 yards

didn't get much recovery time between swimming yesterday afternoon and this morning, but really wanted to swim again.
    The aerator was running (it ran overnight), so the water was noticeably cooler than yesterday. plus it sprayed over me so I got a little cool water on my back periodically.

When I swam with the ASU masters team, doing 10 x 200 @ 3:00 was a long-standing joke. It seemed like one of the coaches used to give us that set every 2-3 weeks.
    But now, I can't even remember the last time I did that set, and truly it is pretty easy to keep track, knocks out a good chunk of distance, and gives a good aerobic set. I held 2:45 through the whole thing (maybe a little faster at the end).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Sunday 07012018

by , July 1st, 2018 at 10:26 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Sunday PM solo swim @ Sendero Springs (SCY)

1100 w/u mixed (after 200 did 75 free/25 stroke for a bit)

two rounds of:
    * 100 kick w/fins + board
    * 25 easy free w/fins
    * 25 fast fly w/fins

100 easy

25 easy (to the other end so I can better see the clock)

5 x 500 @ 7:20

125 easy

500 pull w/Agility paddles + buoy

100 easy

50 done 25 breast/25 free @ :55
    50 done 25 free/25 breast @ :55
    50 easy free @ :55
    50 fast breast @ 55
    50 easy free @ 1:00
    50 fast breast (about 42)

300 w/d various

TTl: 5400 yards

Butterfly: 50 yd
    Backstroke: 150 yd
    Breaststroke: 300 yd
    Freestyle: 4700 yd
    Kick: 200 yd
    (didn't quite meet my goal of 10% of workout non-free, unless I count kicking)

I've been swimming fairly regularly, but can't even remember when I last posted a workout.
    Last Sunday I had resigned myself to swim in the crappy gym pool, but figured I'd drive by Sendero and see how it looked. there were maybe 10 people there, 3 lanes set up and an open area. for much of the time I was there (I swam about 3500 then) I was the only lap swimmer.
    so I figured I'd give it a shot again today. there were maybe 6 people in the open area and me. yea the temp was 100+, but I had loaded on sunblock. the water wasn't nearly as warm as I expected (it certainly wasn't cool but I've been in much warmer).

I held about 7 to 7:05 for the 500s swim, then 6:45 pulling.
    and I was happy with the 42s 50 breast at the end of that set.

I signed up for the 10k Swim to the Moon yesterday. I've been toying with the thought of getting into some longer swims. I've done a bunch of 5k's, not really much longer. I found out about this through a Facebook group, and oddly just re-connected with an old friend from my Army days who lives in that area who I'll visit too.
    so I'll be trying to get some 5-6k (or higher) workouts leading up to that.
    they wanted an estimated finish. I put 4 hours (the cutoff is 5). my Lake George 5k last year was 1:45 with some pretty rough chop (and contact/goggle issues). prior 5k's in better conditions were 1:30 or so. with any luck, and good conditions, I should realistically finish in around 3:30.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Monday 05282018

by , May 28th, 2018 at 02:49 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    quick catch-up:

caught some nasty cold during my travels (I'm assuming). it hit me pretty hard last weekend.
    Monday 5/21: off
    Tuesday 5/22: 2400m PM swim @ Creekside (thought I was feeling better)
    Wednesday 5/23: off
    Thursday 5/24: off
    Friday 5/25: 4000 yard AM swim @ Sendero (felt decent)
    Saturday 5/26: 2800 yard PM swim @ gym
    Sunday 5/27: 2200 yard AM swim @ community pool

Monday 5/28: AM solo swim at Deep Eddy Pool or Deep Eddy

Pools are both 33.33 yards long (yea makes it tricky figuring out sets); I'll just note lengths below

this is essentially 2 freshwater pools, every day one of them gets fully drained/refilled. last night was the lap pool's turn. it wasn't quite full when they opened (8am), so I staked out a lane at the lap pool and jumped in the rec pool for a short swim:

easy w/u: 8 lengths
    TTL: about 266 yards

moved to main lap pool:

continued w/u: 14 lengths

6 rounds of 4 lengths, 3 free/1 breast

8 lengths kick (fins + board), evens dolphin/odds flutter

2 rounds (w/fins):
    * 2 rounds (5 lengths, drill/free/back/free/drill)
    * 1 length easy free
    * 1 length fast fly

6 x (4 lengths free swim)

6 x (5 lengths pull w/Agility paddles + buoy)

6 x (4 lengths swim, 3 free/1 breast)

6 x (5 lengths pull w/Catalyst paddles + buoy)

200 w/d

TTL: 178 lengths, about 5927 yards
    Butterfly: about 66 yards
    Backstroke: about 132 yards
    Breaststroke: about 462 yards
    Freestyle: about 4950 yards
    Kick: about 266 yards

Basically I just treated a length as I would in a 25 yard/m pool. It was easier to do that than figure out what I had swum while I was still in the pool. I set the distance on my Apple watch at 33 yards, which was a little short of the 33.3

in the time I was swimming I shared the lane with 3 other swimmers. right as I was getting in a guy asked if he could share (I asked circle/split, he wanted split and was glad as we weren't close in speed). as soon as he got out a woman got in, and I think she swam about 30 min (closer in speed, but still off a bit). as soon as she got out another woman jumped in, and that last one did a bunch of fly (she said something about every 4th length, but it didn't seem quite that way). That last one was the closest in speed to me of the 3, and I probably could have circled with her, if we had someone else close. As I got out of the pool, a guy asked if I was done, and he jumped in. Needless to say, it was a busy morning at the pool

as the pool is spring fed, the water was a little brisk (some said cold, I think that is a bit extreme). the rec pool was probably about 76/77, but the lap pool was about 73F. after swimming in outdoor pools that aren't spring fed and are much warmer, I felt like I could swim all day...that cool water really felt great.
    There's a few pictures of the pool on my Instagram feed.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Friday 05182018

by , May 18th, 2018 at 12:05 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Friday AM solo swim @ Sendero Springs (SCY)

800 w/u

500 done as 100 moderate/25 fast breast
    500 done as 100 moderate/25 fast free

2 rounds of (fins):
    25 easy free
    25 fast fly
    100 kick, w/fins + board

2 rounds of (fins):
    25 easy free
    25 fast fly

100 easy

3 rounds of:
    * 100: 75 free/25 stroke
    * 100: 50 free/25 stroke/25 free
    * 100: 25 free/25 stroke/50 free
    * 100: 25 stroke/75 free
    --rounds 1 & 3 stroke = breast @ 1:35
    --round 2 stroke = back @ 1:30
    --easy 50 between rounds 1 & 2

100 easy

8 x 125 pull @ 1:45, w/Agility paddles + buoy

200 w/d

TTL: 5800 yards, done as:
    * 100 fly
    * 225 back
    * 400 breast
    * 4875 free
    * 200 kick

wasn't quite as busy at the pool this morning. we were missing 2 guys who are usually together and HAVE to swim in lanes 4 & 5. there was one time when the guards had trouble pulling tarps and could only get an end one off...and the guys left. they're not even that fast, and other than being in the middle, there really isn't anything special about those lanes (I've swum in every lane at some point).
    I actually prefer lane 6, simply because there are no jets along either wall, so I don't have to worry about where I do turns. but I'll swim in any other lane if that isn't available. I prefer to avoid wall lanes, but if that's all that's open, I'll take it.

I liked mixing up my stroke set, and proved to myself that my backstroke is indeed faster than my breaststroke. it wasn't always that way. I thought I'd need to do the same intervals for all...but in reality I surprised myself.
    Then I again surprised myself with those 125s pull @ 1:45. I really got into a good rhythm on that.
    However, when I started to do those last 100s, well I was pretty spent. It was a struggle holding 1:30.

Pulling myself out of the pool I really felt that workout. Plus I'm sure weights yesterday (biceps + back) added to it.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Tues-Wed 0515-05162018

by , May 16th, 2018 at 12:40 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Tuesday PM solo swim @ Creekside Pool (SCM)

700 w/u

200 kick (mix of dolphin and flutter), w/fins and board

2 x 125 w/fins: mix of 25s drill/25 back/25s free (backstroke flags only on one side so I adjusted)
    25 easy free
    25 fly w/fins

2 x 125 w/fins: mix of 25s drill/25 back/25s free (backstroke flags only on one side so I adjusted)
    25 easy free
    25 fly w/fins

100 easy

4 x 150 pull w/Agility paddles + buoy

100 easy

4 x 50s--
    * 50 breast
    * 25 breast/25 free
    * 25 free/25 breast
    * 50 breast

300 w/d

TTL: 2800m (53 min)

Butterfly: 50m
    Backstroke: 150m
    Breaststroke: 200m
    Freestyle: 2200m
    Kick: 200m

I didn't realize this pool was SCM; been ages since I've swum SCM, and most of that time was in LCM pools with a bulkhead. at first I thought I was just off, after being out of the water for a few days.
    The pool has definitely seen better days, but it was nice to get in a short shake-out swim after a few days off.
    this pool isn't heated, so is only open May to Sep; but the water temp was fine, if anything I'd like a little cooler.
    There were 4 of us doing laps. When I walked in I saw a guy I know from swimming at Sendero. there were a few kids who wandered across the lap lanes, but it wasn't too obtrusive.

there was no pace clock, so I just swam on feel. between coming after a few days off and SCM, that was probably best anyway.

Wednesday AM solo swim @ Sendero Springs (SCY)

800 w/u

500 done as 4 rounds (100 moderate/25 fast)

500 done as 4 rounds (100 moderate/25 fast breast)

200 kick w/fins and board (mix of dolphin and flutter)

2 rounds (w/fins):
    * 25 easy free
    * 25 fast fly
    * 2 x 125 (25 drill/25 free/25 back/25 free/25 drill)

2 rounds (w/fins):
    * 25 easy free @ :25
    * 25 fast fly @ :25

8 x 100 @ 1:35, done as 2 rounds:
    * 75 free/25 breast
    * 50 free/25 breast/25 free
    * 25 free/25 breast/50 free
    * 25 breast/75 free

6 x 150 pull @ 2:05 (w/Agility paddles + buoy)

8 x 100 @ 1:30

200 w/d

TTL: 5400 yards, 89 min (I chatted a bit )

Butterfly: 100 yards
    Backstroke: 150 yards
    Breaststroke: 425 yards
    Freestyle: 4525 yards

I was running a little late, but thankfully when I arrived at the pool my usual lane was still vacant. At one point all 8 lanes were taken, but that didn't last too long.

a bunch of people seemed to get out right around my 2500 mark; I had stopped after 100 easy and chatted with a few. even though there's no team at this pool anymore, it is mostly the same swimmers. plus several of us swam on the team when there was one.

with the sun rising earlier, I was able to start using the pace clock a bit earlier, while stopped at the 'other' side of the pool during my drill sets, I looked over and saw it quite clearly.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Wednesday 05092018

by , May 9th, 2018 at 12:49 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Wednesday AM solo swim @ Sendero Springs

700 w/u

500, done (100 moderate/25 fast free) x 4

500, done (100 moderate free/25 fast breast) x 4

200 kick, w/fins + board, alternating 25 dolphin/25 flutter

Next sets w/fins:
    * 25 easy free
    * 25 fast fly
    * 2 x 125, drill/free/back/free/drill
    * 25 easy free
    * 25 fast fly
    * 2 x 125, drill/free/back/free/drill
    * 25 easy free
    * 25 fast fly
    * 25 easy free
    * 25 fast fly

100 easy

8 x 100 @ 1:35, done as 2 rounds:
    * 75 free/25 breast
    * 50 free/25 breast/25 free
    * 25 free/25 breast/50 free
    * 25 breast/75 free

8 x 150 pull @ 2:10, w/Agility paddles + buoy

100 easy

'disappearing intervals' set, 10 x 50 done as:
    * 2 @ 1:00
    * 2 @ :55
    * 2 @ :50
    * 2 @ :45
    * 2 @ :40

300 w/d

TTL: 5600 yards, 90 min
    breakdown:
    * 100 fly
    * 125 back
    * 350 breast
    * 4825 free
    * 200 kick

another great morning in the pool. the sun is rising earlier, so I'm able to see the clock and start my interval sets sooner (in the winter I hardly get to do any!)
    when I swam with the Mesa group, Laura used to give us that, "disappearing intervals," set quite a bit. I've struggled with it before, especially the 40s, but today I felt pretty good. I made both intervals, held 36. but I don't think I could have pushed to 35

I tried out my community pool last night. the water isn't heated, but with air temps getting near 90 during the day (I think still down to 60-65 at night), the water felt quite pleasant. I just did a casual 700 yards. it is just a 5 min walk from home, a nice 25 yard pool (5 lanes), but not ropes.

I'll be traveling out of town tomorrow back Monday and probably won't get to swim, so I've been trying to keep my FLOG ahead of schedule. I'm sure I'll still fall down the rankings in my age group (I've worked up near 10).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Monday 05072018

by , May 7th, 2018 at 10:21 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Monday AM solo swim @ Sendero Springs

700 w/u

500, done 100 moderate/25 fast (x4)

500, done 100 moderate/25 breast (x4)

200 kick

Two rounds (w/fins):
    * 2 x 125, 25 drill/25 swim/25 back/25 swim/25 drill
    * 25 easy
    * 25 fast fly

100 easy

8 x 100 @ 1:35, 75 free/25 breast

8 x 125 @ 1:50, pull w/Agility paddles + buoy

8 x 100 @ 1:30

25 easy free
    25 fast fly
    25 easy free
    25 fast back

200 w/d

TTL: 5500 yards, in 88 min

Butterfly: 75 yd
    Backstroke: 125 yd
    Breaststroke: 350 yd
    Freestyle: 4750 yd
    Kick: 200 yd

I felt really good in the water this morning, felt like I could keep going. the water was a little chilly when I first got in and it took me about 300 before I felt warmed up. maybe with the daytime high temps getting warm (mid/upper 80s) they could have cut the heater.

I can't remember the last time that I've done any fly without fins. I've been on a quest to do at least 50 of all strokes during a real workout (not a gym warm-down). I was glad I saved the finless fly and back for the end. years ago I told myself that someday I'd like to do a 400 IM at a meet; still a lofty goal, but I still want to do it (I certainly wouldn't break any records, but want to just legally finish).

I needed a good set like this after a rather lackluster swim at the gym pool yesterday afternoon. I just wasn't into it, ended up doing a 2000 straight swim, a little kicking, pulling, warmdown, then got out. it is rare that I don't feel better after a workout than before, but I guess it does occasionally happen (well other than injury).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Sunday 04152018

by , April 15th, 2018 at 09:52 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Sunday afternoon solo swim @ Sendero:

500 w/u
    500 done 100 free/25 breast (4x)
    15 x 100 @ 1:30
    continue into 5 x 100 @ 1:25
    200 kick
    4 x 25 back @ :30 (w/fins)
    4 x 150 pull @ 2:05 (buoy + Agility paddles)
    200 w/d

TTL: 4100 yards

other than a kids party on the other side of the pool, had the whole thing to myself (and they got out after I did about 1000). sunny and about 70F, just a light breeze.

going over to the pool I wasn't feeling too good, but thought I'd at least get in and stretch out.

I've really been very consistent in my swimming in April. I've swum every day from April 2. my April total so far is 52,300 yards. I've swum 26,300 just since last Monday.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Sunday 04082018

by , April 8th, 2018 at 07:55 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    I swam on Saturday...total was 3700, but I can't remember all of the details.
    It was unusually chilly here...low 40s. I felt sorry for the lifeguards having to be out to watch me. but then another guy showed up, so I didn't feel quite as bad.
    a hot shower sure felt great after the walk of shame to the locker room after I got out of the water.

totally different story today. after a chilly morning, temps were in the mid-60s, sun shining nicely, when I swam this:

500 w/u
    5 x 100 pull (buoy) @ 1:30
    5 x 200 @ 3:00,
    4 x 125 @ 1:55 (100 free/25 breast)
    200 kick, fins + board
    4 x 25 back, fins
    8 x 75 @ 1:15 (50 free/25 stroke), 2 breast/2 back
    200 w/d.

TTL: 3600 yards (about an hour)

this made 7 days in a row for me, and 26,000 yards in that time. Tues/Thurs were just short/recovery swim at the end of gym sessions.

there is still just a little swelling on my foot that had the ankle sprain, but all of the black & blue marks are gone. most of the pain is gone, I feel just a little on turns. I barely noticed when I did breast today.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Friday 04062018

by , April 6th, 2018 at 12:51 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    did a mini-swim after my gym workout yesterday:
    500 w/u
    500 pull w/buoy
    6 x 50 @ :50
    200 w/d

Friday AM swim @ Sendero Springs

500 w/u
    500, done 100 moderate/25 fast
    500 pull w/buoy, done 75 moderate/25 fast
    500, done 100 moderate/25 breast
    500 pull w/Agility paddles + buoy, done 100 moderate/25 fast
    500, done 100 moderate/25 breast

10 x 100's:
    * odds: 75 moderate/25 fast
    * evens: 75 moderate/25 breast

500 pull w/Catalyst paddles + buoy, done 100 moderate/25 fast
    200 kick, w/fins + board, alternate 25 dolphin/25 flutter

200 w/d

TTL: 5300 yards

there were 4 of us swimming today, but the others started leaving, one after I did 1500 (he is swimming the 1650 in a meet tonight), another around 2500, then the last around 3500. so I had the whole pool to myself after that. kind of felt bad for the lifeguards having to sit around and watch me.
    anyway, my ankle is much better...still not 100%, but getting there. I did a little breast at the gym yesterday so thought I'd try some today.
    there is only an analog clock at this pool, and I can't see it for much of the workout since it is too dark. but after the sun rose I was able to see it enough for some pace 100s toward the end...I was wondering if I could do that toward the end of this, and it felt surprisingly good.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast