Blog Comments

What a treat to be able to walk to the pool. I'm envious.
    Tim sorry to hear about the shingles thing. My brother got them on his 30s! I went to get a shot and was told not under 50. Supposedly it is only good for maybe 30 years or something like that and you really wouldn't want to get it then
    No fun, Tim. Glad that it is subsiding for you.
    Oh man. I've heard it's pretty miserable for a while. I hope you're able to get back to normal again soon.
    Glad the shingles is better. These kids today are so spoiled with their afternoon workout times and non 7AM workout times on the weekend.
    Omg you are brave!!
    Yikes. dark and 21F. I'm crazy, but not sure I would do that. Way to hang!
    Yeah Tim. FTF. Should be fun on Friday.
    he signed up for a swim meet in Houston in mid-Feb and is trying to get others to join him. perhaps I'll go, it could be fun with a few teammates.
    You should do it, if for no other reason than mid-February is one of the better times to visit the swamp ... I mean ... Houston.

Glad you've found a good group to train with.
    Amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Very jealous, indeed.

Did you really have to do a 30 minute kick with with your hands out of the water as part of the deep water test? That seems extreme.
    My mistake, I corrected it, it was 30 sec kick. Heck, I think I'd be pretty tired with 30 min of that, and probably wouldn't have done a workout
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Very cool. You may be the first forumite to swim in the cube. pwb's going to be envious for sure.
    How was the air quality? My colleagues who go to Beijing, even those originally from the PRC, complain that it is unbearable and say that a trip there is always followed by weeks of UR issues.
    Pollution was around the 220-250 range (out of 500) for the first 3 days I was in Beijing. Then on the last day it was 10-15. I opened the drapes of my hotel room and was like, "wow, I can actually see out there!"

That said, on the flight back, nearly everyone was hacking, and the flight attendants said that it is always like that when they leave Beijing.

I did get a cold after, but I seem to get one after most long-haul flights. I have asthma, and didn't notice anything unusual. I even wore contacts and was fine.

The day out hiking the Great Wall the weather was simply glorious--clear, with visibility 10+ miles, with temps in the low 50s.
    Very jealous, indeed.

Did you really have to do a 30 minute kick with with your hands out of the water as part of the deep water test? That seems extreme.
    Very cool. You may be the first forumite to swim in the cube. pwb's going to be envious for sure.
    How was the air quality? My colleagues who go to Beijing, even those originally from the PRC, complain that it is unbearable and say that a trip there is always followed by weeks of UR issues.
    Tim that's so cool to have that opportunity. So glad you passed the "test".
    I used to live right by there. If you go in the very early morning, the fish are out. I assume they're trout but what do I know? It's very peaceful, in contrast to the mob scene on a hot weekend afternoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    What a great opportunity to do a SLC 800 IM (SLC = "super long course").
    They should have had that event when Nationals was here in Austin a few years ago

Let me know when you want to come do it, I'll time for you
    What a great opportunity to do a SLC 800 IM (SLC = "super long course").
    I remember going there in the summer time and not swimming much. We were always so fried from training that we really used the springs as a place to cool off. I really do need to get back there and do a proper swim!

You had a huge weekend of swimming. Congrats.
    Seems like a fun swim and thanks for posting the pics. Quite a temperature variation. At 42 hope you were in the water quickly.