Blog Comments

I consider LCM practices as training for OW. I train about 98% of all my swimming in SCY, and don't mind the transition for competing in LCM meets in the summer. I just think of the 200 LCM FLy as a "big 100". Psychlogically, it makes it easier for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I really liked the look of that main distance set when I saw it on Tall Paul's workout page. I then noticed the intervals he had listed and thought...hmmm...that's not too bad. Then I noticed the LCM at the very top. YIKES!! That means I should drop ~10 sec/100 off the intervals for my SCY swim in the morning. We'll see how I do. Like your day...the 300 IM at the end should be "fun".
    yea I think he puts the intervals that he gives to the fast lane or something. there were 3 lanes that did this set, and 2 of them did the intervals I put in my workout.
    LCM really makes a big difference, really kicks you into shape fast.
    I really liked the look of that main distance set when I saw it on Tall Paul's workout page. I then noticed the intervals he had listed and thought...hmmm...that's not too bad. Then I noticed the LCM at the very top. YIKES!! That means I should drop ~10 sec/100 off the intervals for my SCY swim in the morning. We'll see how I do. Like your day...the 300 IM at the end should be "fun".
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    That looks kinda like one of my workouts. I like the idea of using the kick board for VK, especially if you don't have a med ball handy.

What is the IM challenge?
    Maybe Paul is stealing some workout ideas from you?
    Holding the kick board forces you to keep your hands up, no cheating. And it made it easy to go right into a fast 50 kick.

The IM challenge is just something to get me to do more IM. I think it was Karl who posted about doing 100 x 400 IM. That is too much for me, but I set a goal to do 100 x 100 IM during 2012. Works out to about 2 per week. Still about 90 more than I usually do, according to Paul. There's a few forumites on board, as well as a few people from my team.
    For me, I'm not counting any where I drill or use equipment for them (equipment as a crutch). I'd prefer to do them fast, for time, so I can track my progress.
    That looks kinda like one of my workouts. I like the idea of using the kick board for VK, especially if you don't have a med ball handy.

What is the IM challenge?
    Yeah, they count. They just make mine look really slow. Of course, that is more of an attribute of my breaststroke ability (well, lack thereof).
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem

Oh, I have 99 to go. I promise to step it up.
    Lol, after it was over I commented how I was drenched and dripping. She says, "that's why I wear sweats, so I don't drip all over." It just seems stupid to me.

So do you agree with my idea to count broken 100 IM's? Paul said they should count...
    (Mrs Sweats)

Oh, I have 99 to go. I promise to step it up.
    Updated January 10th, 2012 at 11:30 PM by rxleakem
    Just want to set the record straight on this set:

main set:
    10 x 50 best avg, done in 3 heats (leaving every minute), so @ 3:00. I was in the first heat, going 10 sec behind
    1-4: breast, times 38, 37, 37, 36
    5: fly 40
    6-8: free 30, 29, 29
    9-10: free w/fins 27, 26
    Although I did (barely) beat Lindsey on the very last, I was wearing fins, and she was not
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I can't seem to really even do breast with big paddles. I get tangled up on the recovery. I'd like to try it more with small paddles when my elbows finally heal.

Why do you like the standing fly machine better than the seated machine?

The 24 Hour Fitness pool sounds nasty. Get it tested! Probably only way to keep them honest.
    I agree with paddles on breast. Not only does it slow down my stroke, but I really alter my stroke to make it work. The small paddles are so much better; I can still do fast hands while doing my stroke mostly normally. The small paddles also seem to guide my hands a little to correct them, much like the breast fins do for my feet. Now I'm wondering how it would be to wear the small paddles and breast fins together...

I just didn't seem to get comfortable on the seated fly machine. Although it has cables on arms like the standing version, the arms don't adjust like the standing one. I'm sure some of the comfort could have been from what I did earlier too tho

It really is a shame that gyms don't take better care of their pools. The others here are usually ok; the Chandler gym seems to drain the pool every 3-4 months. But I'd rather swim outside if I can anyway, the fresh air makes a huge difference. But I did bring a bottle to take a water sample, if I go to that gym tonight.
    I can't seem to really even do breast with big paddles. I get tangled up on the recovery. I'd like to try it more with small paddles when my elbows finally heal.

Why do you like the standing fly machine better than the seated machine?

The 24 Hour Fitness pool sounds nasty. Get it tested! Probably only way to keep them honest.
    That does not sound like a good pool to be training at.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain

I'm impressed you finished
    I was so tempted to switch to another stroke at the 25, but I knew I'd never hear the end of it...from everyone on the team, including the coaches. I didn't realize everyone was watching me flounder through it either.
    A 25 fly (especially from a block) almost feels smooth to me. A 50 from a push is torture. I can't even imagine doing a 100.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Pretty much anything under 30 is good for me for SCY. Especially being in the diving well; or maybe the deeper water makes you go faster?
    I think the normal depth is 8' and we were in 11 or 12' yesterday.
    Deeper is considered faster, but you probably wouldn't notice a difference between 8 and 11.

And here I expected a comment about my incredible fly performance
    I'm impressed you finished
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    I like that workout. I just might have to steal it and do it when I get back into better shape!
    It is very deceiving. 3 min for a 50 is plenty of time, but if you really work them, and mix in stroke, it is really tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You have to be pretty happy with those free times too.
    Pretty much anything under 30 is good for me for SCY. Especially being in the diving well; or maybe the deeper water makes you go faster?
    I think the normal depth is 8' and we were in 11 or 12' yesterday.

And here I expected a comment about my incredible fly performance
    I like that workout. I just might have to steal it and do it when I get back into better shape!
    You have to be pretty happy with those free times too.
    Of course he's had work done! All those Hollywood types have.

I need to lose weight as much as you do. :-). Those temps are only tolerable with a wet suit!

I think he's had work done...some spots on his face look a bit suspicious. And his hair was unusually long. So different from his Top Gun days, but that was like 25 years ago.

Yea biking does overall have much less wear & tear on my body than running. Certainly my feet and legs appreciate the difference. But I do get an annoying pain (even with some super padded shorts), probably from my seat (it sounds like most people do, they ice and deal with it). I really should take my bike in for a tune-up and see about a new seat, maybe that will help. I need a new helmet too, mine is over 2 years old. Helmets seem to be either cheap ($30) or expensive ($100), with very little in between.
    I'm sure once the doctor tells me I can run I will...but it is a nice break, without feeling guilty for missing.

Oh I really don't think you have anything to worry about with weight. You'd have been complaining if you were at Kino this morning too. It was so cold that the sprinters didn't want to take extra rest, and they just did the same set.
    I have no idea how the college kids survived, but I guess they don't really have much of a choice.
    I gained nearly 15 pounds
    It was all in preparation for today's swim right?

I doubt the college kids were cold after they got into warm up.