Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Forecast calls for temps in the 30's. Not horribly cold, though. See you tomorrow.
    That's not too bad, but for someone used to AZ temps (and shivers when it gets in the 30s), I'd rather come prepared.
    I found a winter coat, scarf, and gloves. Too bad Holly ate my earmuffs

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Have a nice flight.
    Thanks! Going should be ok...in first class at least
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Have fun, tomorrow. The pool's supposed to be fast and, with the big meet atmosphere, it should feel pretty electric. That's a meet I need to get to some year. I just wish they'd host a meet in the summer time when it both made sense to leave Arizona and to be in Boston. I'd have zero problems convincing my wife to travel with me to Boston between late-May and early September, and probably 100% likelihood of failure the rest of the year
    Hey Thanks Patrick, and good luck to you with the AZ State Meet! Sure sounds like you've put in the training, and I'm pretty sure you'll get some good competition from Starbucks and the others I train with at Mesa

I wouldn't mind a trip to Boston in summer...but airfares are usually pretty high, it gets very crowded, and it can be hot and sticky. Even 85F there is usually very uncomfortable. I was at Ft Devens for a few months while in the Army, and Aug-Sep in an un-airconditioned barracks was sometimes uncomfortable. But December was a whole other story.
    Have fun, tomorrow. The pool's supposed to be fast and, with the big meet atmosphere, it should feel pretty electric. That's a meet I need to get to some year. I just wish they'd host a meet in the summer time when it both made sense to leave Arizona and to be in Boston. I'd have zero problems convincing my wife to travel with me to Boston between late-May and early September, and probably 100% likelihood of failure the rest of the year
    Forecast calls for temps in the 30's. Not horribly cold, though. See you tomorrow.
    Have a nice flight.
    Only because she has better surgeons than you do.
    I actually considered a more creative blog title, "Can't turn back time," but I don't know if that would have had any impact on those who look here. Most people would probably just be confused.

But I remember when that video came out...it was rather insane (I was in the Army at the time).

That was a good set for you but not a great set pre meet. Of course, I don't think you should be worrying about the meet at all, just adjusting your workout for your foot.
    I'm not overly worried about the meet. I haven't swum a SCM meet for about 10 years, and if I can come close to whatever times I did then, great. If not, at least I'll (hopefully) have fun. Oh, and I can't forget the airline miles part either

It must be either my common name, or laziness on the part of whoever ran the meets I swam in prior to 2002, but none are listed on my profile page. Back when I first started swimming, I kept all of my results in a huge Excel file that I occasionally still refer back to.
    oh well. unlike Cher, I can't quite turn back time....
    Only because she has better surgeons than you do.

That was a good set for you but not a great set pre meet. Of course, I don't think you should be worrying about the meet at all, just adjusting your workout for your foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I should write this down, you and Paul agree on something
    That worried me too.

You can always scratch the 100 IM but faking a 25 fly, even from a push, is not too difficult.
    I think the breathing problem is just the cold air. You will get used to it, or you could move to a state with indoor pools or some place warmer.

In water start: Long whistle - get in; take your mark - uh... take your mark; gun/beep - GO.

I agree with Paul, just do an in water start. If you drop time, awesome, if you don't, you're injured and if you don't beat Stud, register a new username.
    The air temp is suppose to warm up a little by next week, so hopefully the breathing is just temporary. I'd probably have a similar reaction if I did a tough track workout too.

Thanks for the play-by-play on in-water starts . Since they seed slow to fast, I should get to witness at least one before I swim.

I should write this down, you and Paul agree on something
    I'm most concerned about the 100 IM; with a block start I could easily kick underwater for half the fly length. Without...I'd actually have to swim.
    Stud sent me his seed times, but I still seeded myself a little slower. We could be in the same heat of 200 breast, but doubtful. I'm not too concerned about it, he'll probably beat me, unless he's having a really bad day. My excuses of injury, jet lag, and swimming the 400 free prior will be spoken. And maybe I can think up a few others.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    I was wondering how you were managing on the turns too. Sounds like you're found a way to do them that's working pretty well!

Have a great time in Boston!
    I guess your body just naturally adapts when something isn't quite right. Of course there are some turns (at least one per workout) when I hit the bad foot just so, and am growling as I push off.

Thanks! Too bad you won't be in Boston also. Maybe I'll try to get to a meet next year that your doing. And I'm considering a 10k swim, which would be far easier to do with you too.
    I think the breathing problem is just the cold air. You will get used to it, or you could move to a state with indoor pools or some place warmer.

In water start: Long whistle - get in; take your mark - uh... take your mark; gun/beep - GO.

I agree with Paul, just do an in water start. If you drop time, awesome, if you don't, you're injured and if you don't beat Stud, register a new username.
    I was wondering how you were managing on the turns too. Sounds like you're found a way to do them that's working pretty well!

Have a great time in Boston!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Do you really think so? I guess it depends on the interval, but I would think it might be comparable. Hundreds of thousands of people in the U.S. can run a marathon. How many do you think could swim 100x100? Probably thousands, but not hundreds of thousands.
    There are 300k members of USA Swimming, 50k USMS members and there are about 500k marathon finishers/year. So the numbers that can do it are probably comparable, the number that do is probably in the thousands.
    Do you really think so? I guess it depends on the interval, but I would think it might be comparable. Hundreds of thousands of people in the U.S. can run a marathon. How many do you think could swim 100x100? Probably thousands, but not hundreds of thousands.
    Sure there are hundreds of thousands of people who complete a marathon every year. However, how many walk for all or part of it? How many finish in less than 5 hours, or even 4 hours?
    I think most people in decent shape can complete a marathon, of course taking out those with any medical conditions.

Swimming 100 x 100s SCY @ 1:40 or so would be rather reasonable for me. At a 1:30 interval, maybe a little more challenging, and lower than that, nearly impossible.
    Again, I'd say that 80% of the forum regulars could finish 100 x 100, if interval had no limits. Sure some may have to work up to it (similar p the way one works up to a marathon), but certainly possible.

My fastest marathon time was 3:51, and my 100 x 100s time was around 2:45. I made 2 brief nature stops during the marathon, and got 5-15 sec rest per 100 of the 100 x 100 with no other breaks.

A better comparison may be a marathon to a 10k or longer open water swim....and perhaps I'll take that challenge some day (I'm sure I can get at least one other swimmer to do it with me, if I do the swim in NYC).
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Many of them aren't running.
    Very good point. I definitely should have said hundreds of thousands can finish a marathon. Maybe hundreds of thousands could finish 100x100 in the pool if you gave them eight hours to do it.
    Many of them aren't running.
    Compared with running a marathon, swimming 100 x 100s is a breeze
    Only the 100 x 100's are LCM
    So I guess you can do 30 x 100s @ 1:20 for a similar workout.
    LCM outdoors in cold weather. No thanks.

105,956 EQM I am not flying anywhere else this year.
    That is a perfect opportunity to do 30x100s on 1:10
    Sure sounds like it. Since it sounds like James won't be using it, you can use the guest room instead.
    Only the 100 x 100's are LCM
    So I guess you can do 30 x 100s @ 1:20 for a similar workout.

If I tried a 1:10 interval (short course yards of course) I may last through 5. Then I'd need to do the next 5 @ 2:00.
    Oh, and since you're interested, Paul is doing the 100 x 100's on 12/31. I'll clean out the guest room for your visit to AZ so you can participate
    I'll probably do it, especially if I'm not running then. Been 3-4 years since I've done it.
    That is a perfect opportunity to do 30x100s on 1:10