Blog Comments

Chatted with both Laura and Paul about the meet this morning.
    Laura said she's coaching at a kids' meet that weekend so Paul would need to find other volunteers.
    Paul said that Kino would be closed for 2 weeks (maintenance), but otherwise sounded positive. He said if it happens, the meet will be on Sat Nov 19.
    Might want to just pencil it in for now.

During the Kino closure, practices will move to Carson pool, which is close to University/Dobson.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb

... and yet, your blog today has the scoop!

Any idea if it'll be a Saturday or Sunday meet? I'll definitely try to make it out there.
    Well Doug just happened to be at workout, and he always seems to know what's going on. I think he's on the LMSC board? When I first started with Sun Devil Masters, we'd always swim together (and oddly we both have the exact same car too, which can get confusing in the parking lot after).

No, he didn't mention Sat or Sun, but I'll ask this morning. Typically one day MAC meets have been on Saturdays.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    How many people usually do the pentathlon?

It does sound kind of interesting, and for a one-day $25 meet, it isn't bad.
    Usually I can find past results on www.azlmsc.org or on the host website, but I don't see last year's results on the PHX swim club site. It wasn't huge last year to my recollection, maybe 3 to 4 heats per event, so it definitely runs quickly. There's no requirement to do all 5 events. I figure with the 500 first, that will be my focus and then I'll just see what happens on the rest of the events.

it is tough to even know of all the events. most of the local swimming events I find out through reading your blog
    Yeah, I just pretty aggressively check the PHX, MAC, SDM and Ford sites for meet updates and/or reach out to the coaches if I haven't seen a 'typical' meet pop up. I pretty much rely on DCB for the OW events, though I know I should check out Red Rock.

... and yet, your blog today has the scoop!

I found out that Paul & Laura are planning another small 1-day meet at Skyline, the weekend before Thanksgiving.
    Any idea if it'll be a Saturday or Sunday meet? I'll definitely try to make it out there.
    I can probably snag someone from my team, or even Urmas (if he's in an a competing mood).
    So do the Maui Channel on Sat, then hop over to HNL for the roughwater Monday?
    If you want to swim both. Likely, I will just do the channel. There is a 1.2 and 2.4 on Maui Monday as well, no flight required, but a lot of the Maui channel swimmers will be flying to HNL to swim the 2.4 Monday.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    We have 4 people so far, so I might need 2 of you

It is Saturday of Labor Day weekend. The Roughwater is Labor Day (Monday).
    I can probably snag someone from my team, or even Urmas (if he's in an a competing mood).
    So do the Maui Channel on Sat, then hop over to HNL for the roughwater Monday?
    That's a relay isn't it? Let me know if you need someone for your team. I think it is a week before the roughwater?
    We have 4 people so far, so I might need 2 of you

It is Saturday of Labor Day weekend. The Roughwater is Labor Day (Monday).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    That discussion is why Mr. Fort really upped his consumption of gels during his last marathon. He has no body fat, so was told to take a gel every 30 minutes. Doing this, he didn't bonk like he did in Boston.

As a non pro master, it's very difficult to train and excel in multiple sports. If you never swam, you'd probably train better for the marathon. But then you might get super bored of running too. With your split exercise personality, I'd think a somewhat short distance would be a better focus for racing. And go swim with Q in Hawaii!
    I see people on daily mile who consistently do 60+ miles/week, and I just roll my eyes. During my peak weeks I may do 50.
    The gel idea is interesting, I may try that out. I'm a bit squeamish about things like that, but could probably get used to it (like training in 90-95F temps).

Generally I just wasn't ready for this. As late as the night prior I was thinking of skipping, but thought I'd hope for the best.
    Just need to find a happy medium between swimming and running...
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Our high today might get to be 64 degrees today...probably but not much warmer. Snow is coming soon.
    It can get cold here in the winter....look through some of my blog entries from Jan. We had days when my flip flops were iced over while swimming. Once the high was only 38, it was tough running in that (reminded me of my army days).
    Having grown up in PA, I certainly know what cold, snowy weather is like....which is one reason I prefer AZ
    No, just Maui Channel.
    That's a relay isn't it? Let me know if you need someone for your team. I think it is a week before the roughwater?
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Very true, and there is actually a very sensible explanation for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maratho....22the_wall.22
    That discussion is why Mr. Fort really upped his consumption of gels during his last marathon. He has no body fat, so was told to take a gel every 30 minutes. Doing this, he didn't bonk like he did in Boston.

As a non pro master, it's very difficult to train and excel in multiple sports. If you never swam, you'd probably train better for the marathon. But then you might get super bored of running too. With your split exercise personality, I'd think a somewhat short distance would be a better focus for racing. And go swim with Q in Hawaii!
    Everyone seems to hit a wall at mile 20.
    Very true, and there is actually a very sensible explanation for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maratho....22the_wall.22
    I certainly wouldn't suggest beginning a running program in June here, but after a while you kind of get used to it. There's a couple of rough weeks but the rest isn't too horrible.
    This morning it was a pleasant 64F when I went outside to run
    Our high today might get to be 64 degrees today...probably but not much warmer. Snow is coming soon.
    I certainly wouldn't suggest beginning a running program in June here, but after a while you kind of get used to it.
    I hear you kinda get used to torture too. I'll pass.
    Are you doing Waikiki again next year? Maybe I'll plan for it
    No, just Maui Channel.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    +1 But that's just my personal opinion. I don't understand how you can keep running in the land of the sun when it's 150 degrees out there at times!
    I certainly wouldn't suggest beginning a running program in June here, but after a while you kind of get used to it. There's a couple of rough weeks but the rest isn't too horrible.
    This morning it was a pleasant 64F when I went outside to run
    You know you're right, I was thinking the same things. Before my Lost Dutchman marathon I took a break from team swimming to concentrate on running. I logged many 15-18 mile runs, and was so psyched to get out for the race. Recently, I was doing more ~13 mile training runs, then just built up for the race. Certainly not the same.

I've never raced a 10k, so no matter how I do, it will be a PR.

Running with others is helping, not just for training, but to keep me in the loop with races. Both the 1/2 IM swim and the 10k run are the results of networking while running

Oh and I want to get back to my bike too. Poor thing has been collecting dust in the garage

Marathons are so difficult ... especially if you haven't really done marathon focused training. Everyone seems to hit a wall at mile 20. I don't know why you runners are obsessed with the marathon distance, but everyone seem to be. Nothing wrong with having a 1/2 marathon focus. If you really want to do well in a marathon, you may have to overhaul your entire training program ... and possibly eliminate swimming. Which is no good! Can you become a aquathlon expert instead?

Oh, definitely switch to the half at Disney! Your body won't like another marathon so soon.

Glad you have some other fun events planned!
    I say F running in general
    +1 But that's just my personal opinion. I don't understand how you can keep running in the land of the sun when it's 150 degrees out there at times!
    I say F running in general Focus on swimming in Hawaii.
    Are you doing Waikiki again next year? Maybe I'll plan for it
    I say F running in general Focus on swimming in Hawaii.
    Marathons are so difficult ... especially if you haven't really done marathon focused training. Everyone seems to hit a wall at mile 20. I don't know why you runners are obsessed with the marathon distance, but everyone seem to be. Nothing wrong with having a 1/2 marathon focus. If you really want to do well in a marathon, you may have to overhaul your entire training program ... and possibly eliminate swimming. Which is no good! Can you become a aquathlon expert instead?

Oh, definitely switch to the half at Disney! Your body won't like another marathon so soon.

Glad you have some other fun events planned!