View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

I've been swimming with USMS teams since 1998. I lifeguarded and played water polo in college, but never really swam as a sport until I began masters swimming. I swim mostly just for exercise and the benefits that provides. I do occasionally swim in meets, but really enjoy open water swimming.
Currently I train with a small local team, along with some solo swims.

I also lift weights, mostly to complement swimming, and to give my upper body some form. Nearly all the time I lift at one of the local 24 Hour Fitness locations.

This blog has some info on my swimming adventures, with some real-life experiences thrown in. I love to travel, and usually try to fit in swimming/working out in different places.

1. Mon Nov 24: Distance Swim

by , November 24th, 2008 at 11:26 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Mon Nov 24, 6AM Swim workout with the team, ASU Student Rec Center
    did 60 pushups and held The Plank for 2 min before leaving home
    air temp around 50, water around 78
    wore my usual very bright Speedo drag/swimsuit in 1 thing
    400 warm-up
    3 x 500 @ 1:30/100 pace, descending 1-3, came in around 6:40, 6:30, 6:25
    3 x 400 @ 1:30/100 pace, descending 1-3, came in around 5:25, 5:10, 5:05
    3 x 300 @ 1:30/100 pace, descending 1-3, came in around 4:10, 3:55, 3:45 (last is unclear as the coach unplugged the clock)
    200 warm-down
    total: 4200

was all psyching myself up for an IM set (especially after reading about pwolf's weekend swims), then get a distance set instead. worked out well, my legs are still sore from my run yesterday, and the easier swims allowed me to stretch

Sounds like no swimming on Thurs-Fri due to the holiday. I may make one of my rare Sat appearances, especially with beginning my vacation next week. All of a sudden that vacation I've been planning for a few months starts next Monday. I did contact a team for the first part of my trip, and may swim with them a few times. Not looking forward to a ~12 hr plane ride, but at least it will be over with.

Planning for weights tonight, as long as I get home at a decent time. Tomorrow will be swim in the morning, and hopefully a run in the evening.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sun Nov 23: Long run

by , November 23rd, 2008 at 03:03 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Sunday Nov 23, long run morning
    did some stretching, 60 pushups, and held The Plank for 2 min before heading out
    temp at start around 45F, at finish around 60F
    wore my usual Nike Pegasus shoes, Reebok shorts, and sleeveless Nike top. yea it was a little chilly at first, but after 2-3 miles, I was fine. towards the end I felt like taking off my shirt, but didn't
    Graph from Nike+: aztimm_run_11232008
    Run details-- distance: 17.78 miles, time: 2 hrs 25 min 33 sec, avg pace: 8:10/mile, calories: 2206
    I said last night that I would try not to go out too fast, but with it being cold I wanted to warm up, and couldn't really help it. Then the some good pace music started...Meatloaf's, "Paradise by the dashboard light," lasted from mile 2 to 3, and then some other stuff continued. I stopped for water around 4.5 miles, 10 miles, 13 miles, then around the 15.5 mark. I did stop very briefly to use the restroom around 12 miles.
    Saw lots of people out today. For the last 1-2 miles there was a guy on the other side of the canal with a biker pacer who was going about the same speed, made a nice finish.
    This was my 2nd furthest run yet (furthest was 18.15 about 3 weeks ago). Thought of doing a 20-miler, but don't want to overdo it. Maybe next week, if not I'll work up to one just after my vacation. Really felt good, held a pretty good avg pace over the whole thing.

Took about 20-30 min rest after I got back (when I wrote the above), then did about 25 min of intensive abs. Started with 70 elevated situps, then 600 crunches (300 with legs crossed each way), 150 with an 11 lb dumbell, another 200 regular (100 legs crossed each way), 300 obliques (150 to the right, 150 to the left), another 200 regular, 150 with a 5 lb dumbell, another 200 regular. My stomach was burning when I finished.

Watched some of the AZ Ironman coverage on a local news channel. The weather gal was deployed to Tempe Town Lake, the looks on some people as they got out of the water were priceless. They still had the bike and run to go!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Sat Nov 22, afternoon weights

by , November 22nd, 2008 at 11:32 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    I was pretty wiped out last night, slept in until 8:30 this morning, and could have probably slept more.

Got in a good weights set this afternoon. Had a late start, slept in and was busy cleaning, but still managed this set.... chest press (with machine), chest flys (machine), chest press (dumbells), chest flys (dumbells), triceps curls (dumbell), triceps pull downs (machine), lat press (machine), seated row (machine), biceps curl (dumbell), and biceps curl (machine). Finished with about 70 elevated situps.

Tomorrow is a long run morning. Depending how I feel, I'll do at least 15, maybe as much as 20 miles. Just need to start out nice and steady and hopefully keep it.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Friday Nov 21, evening workout

by , November 22nd, 2008 at 01:14 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Fri Nov 21, swam with the team, 6PM ASU Mona Plummer Aquatic Center, Short Course Yards
    air temp around 75, water upper 70s (maybe 78)

50 warm-up (got there late)
    4 x 75 @ 15 sec rest
    6 x 50 @ 1min 10 sec
    main set....fast Friday....6 rounds of the following, fast swims all OFF THE BLOCKS
    1 x 50 @ 2min, FAST freestyle (I did a 100 on the last round)
    1 x 50 @ 2min, FAST non-free (I did them all breast)
    1 x 100 @ 2 min, easy recovery

About 200 easy cool down

Almost didn't get there, was working, then when on the way the light rail seemed to be in my way the entire way over. The traffic restrictions for the Ironman certainly didn't help. Then when I finally made it to the pool, I was in the locker room changing and realized I left my towel in the car, so ran out to get it.
    Even with all of that, I had one of the best swim workouts I can remember. I held 27 to 28 sec for the 50s free, and 34 to 36 sec for the breast
    So here's my story on the 100. I asked the coach towards the beginning when would be a good time to do the 100, he said at the end. So he's blasting some Rage Against the Machine from the music system thing, when he sent me off. I had a great start, but thought I should hold back a touch on the first 50, so I didn't do as many dolphin kicks, took a few extra breaths. On the 2nd 50, I pushed it pretty hard. When I came in, by the time I looked at the clock, it said 1:04, which is great for me, I was happy....then the coach came over and said I did a 1:02, I thought he must be joking (he said something like, "That's pretty good for you.". I couldn't believe it, I've never gone that fast....EVER. Originally I wasn't going to do the last 50, but I was so pumped then, I pulled myself out and still went off the block, and did a :35 for that last breast. Johnny (the coach) did tell me that he could tell I held back on that first 50. He thinks I can easily get a min (or less) by Mar/Apr.

Wow, what a great week this has been. I recorded my fastest mile (7:22) since I've been using Nike+ (that's comparable to when I did triathlons, back in 1996...still a ways to go to my Army 5:15 tho). Then today, to do a 100 free in 1:02 in practice, a double at that, after working a full day in between. I should probably buy a lottery ticket.

The Mona Plummer is a nice and fast pool. Outdoor but heated. It was quite a difference just diving off the blocks -v- at the Rec Center. I'd hate to become a pool snob, but I really didn't feel like I had to put in the same effort to get better results. I may have gotten a touch of draft, went 10 sec behind Doug (he's also on these forums).

Updated November 22nd, 2008 at 11:40 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 41818788899091