View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Doubles

by , February 1st, 2011 at 10:12 PM (Grandma Got Run Over By A Swim Team)
    Swam at Trousdale at 5:30am Even tho my "boss" says I can leave at 11:20 whether I have patients to be seen or not, we shall see what happens. I think I better swim this morning just to make sure I get a swim in today at all.

5 x 300 SKIPS
    Adjusted "mother set"
    4 x thru
    5 x 100 -
    4 on 1:30, 1 on 1:20 (50 breast)
    3 on 1:30, 2 on 1:20 (50 breast)
    2 on 1:30, 3 on 1:20 (50 breast)
    1 on 1:30, 4 on 1:20 (50 breast)
    150 EZ

I came back at lunch for a paltry 2200. I felt terrible - left my partner with two of my patients to see - of course DM also foisted one on her, so that added three to her load, and she had three to see of her own before I left. DM had four to see & gave one to her!! Plus, I actually didn't leave at 11:20, it was closer to 11:25 & I got there around 11:40, and really barely had time to swim 2200. Felt like I had to get out immediately to be back by 1:00, and I was about 3 minutes late (no big deal, no patients were in their rooms until 1:15 as usual, anyways. Worst thing was that M & DM worked all the way through til 1:00 (while I was swimming my lousy 2200), and hadn't had a break the entire time. Kinda like yesterday when we worked until 12:45, and were expected to start the afternoon patients at 1:00pm. Gotta get a new job, gotta get a new job. . .

9 x 100, 2 on 1:30, 1 x 2:00 stroke (3 x thru)
    2 x 500 pyramid, first time IM, 2nd time free
    300 EZ

Total for the day tho: 5850
    , if you can believe that!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. So much for a month off. . .

by , January 30th, 2011 at 08:47 PM (Grandma Got Run Over By A Swim Team)
    I couldn't stay out an entire month - I would go crazy, I'm sure. But my elbows don't feel any better or worse for not swimming - in fact, they seem to always feel their worst when I wake up - which is why I want to blame this on my RA and not the epicodylitis - but oh well. I've been wearing kinesio tape & taking arthotec & celebrex & I am ready to get back in. Went today to Bob G group - had to swim at 10:00 or I wouldn't get to swim on a Sunday - but they are nice & slow, and so was I, so it was a good first day back after nearly 2 weeks out of the water.

100 warm-up
    4 x 250 on 3:30 each followed by an easy 50
    (Actually this is not tru - I was swimming with Gauldins group & they were doing 200's on the 3:30, 3:40, 3:50 & 4:00 - so I did the first ones 250, and the last 2 were 300's)
    200 easy
    4 x 100 IM on 1:45 each followed by 2 x 25 kick on :30
    (Again, a modified version of the groups set)
    300 pull no paddles
    2 x 150 breast free thingy

Total: about 2500
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Nasty Dreary Day

by , January 18th, 2011 at 01:19 PM (Grandma Got Run Over By A Swim Team)
    Monday, January 17, 2010

I don't know how I can go from a great workout to a crummy one in less than 24 hours, but I did manage. Almost didn't make it to the pool this morning because it was drizzling and sprinkling, and the thought of walking through freezing rain in a Speedo was less than exciting, but I made myself do it. LCM again, but fewer than usual people there. It's totally amazing how slow I am at meters - if I could train LCM every time I swim, I might actually get used to it in a couple of weeks!!
    600 warmup
    5 x 100 pull on 1:40 (no paddles)
    4 x 50 kick on 1:00
    3 x 300 speedplay stuff
    2 x 200 breast/free by 50's
    5 x 100 pull on 1:40 (no paddles)
    4 x 50 kick (fly, on back) on 1:00
    300 cooldown (ran out of time & couldn't finish the set)
    TOTAL: 3300 LCM
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Sunny Day

by , January 16th, 2011 at 09:35 PM (Grandma Got Run Over By A Swim Team)
    Sunday Morning @ Meyers Park
    Surprise! Amber was there - matter of fact, there were a BUNCH of people there! Could've been quite social, except that most of them are on the slower side - but like I said, Amber was there & her husband Drew - so that made workout much more exciting. Got there a little bit late & so missed the first 2 100's

Warm up: 350 yds - it was supposed to be 5 x 100 on 2:00 I think, but Amber was doing 150's, so I joined her in that midway on the 3rd 150.
    Then we did 5 x 100 on a very slow interval but what the heck, it was my warm up (2 x 150 on 2 min is not a nice relaxing warmup for me!)
    The main set was (7 times through) supposed to be a 150 followed by a 50 on the following intervals: 1 min for each 50, and the 150's were: 2:30, 2:40, 2:50, 3:00, 2:50, 2:40, 2:30; we decided to do a 200 while they were doing 150's, and on #3 & 5, we did IM twitch, & number 4 was just a plain 200 IM. I don't know if Amber & I were trying to show off or what, but we kicked it today! It was awesome! I mean, seriously - a 2:20 for a 200 free? For me? Even though I had little mini-fins on, I still feel very good about that set!
    Last set was 12 x 50 on :55, and I did stroke/free by 25's, mostly fly/free.

Total: 3150

You may be wondering why I was at the pool on Sunday morning, when I said last week that I wasn't going to swim on Sundays anymore, in hopes of helping my elbows heal faster. Well, what can I say, it was beautiful outside, and I feel so much happier when I swim, that I just had to go. And really, it made my day! I had a great, productive day afterwards - enjoyed Church, fixed a nice dinner, even made cookies & had the Home Teachers over. Wow. Now, if only I could make myself read the Scriptures some on Sunday like a good girl. . .

Updated January 19th, 2011 at 12:54 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  5. Slomo Today

by , January 14th, 2011 at 08:12 AM (Grandma Got Run Over By A Swim Team)
    It was below 25 when I left the house this morning, but a nice trip to the tropics when I dove into 82-83 degree water at Meyers Park - plus the bonus of being under the bubble! Had some problems with motivation today, my elbow was in serious pain after Weds workout & so I took off Thurs; still a bit sore yesterday, so I was not too inclined to kill myself today. Plus, since I took that Amrix (slow release Flexeril) I think I'm sorta in slomo! But I did swim, and a crappy day in the water is always better than a good day in the office.

800 warmup (150 free, 25 back, 25 breast repeat)
    Two times through:
    3 x 200
    3 x 100
    3 x 50
    (first group was free, second IM)

100 cool down

TOTAL 3000
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  6. Ruminations: my love/hate relationship with my job!

by , January 10th, 2011 at 09:42 PM (Grandma Got Run Over By A Swim Team)
    I love being a nurse practitioner! Truly! I think my patients like me too. Most of the time I enjoy patient teaching, and finding ways to help people live better, healthier (more pain free?) lives. Today, however I was just so frustrated! Ever since I got this job (last July) I have been trying to find a way to swim at lunch again. Mannn! I miss swimming at lunch! I miss the sunshine, I miss the camaraderie, I miss the competition! I love how swimming at lunch really breaks up your day, too. Anyways, I knew I had a light schedule today, only about 9 patients this morning, and the last one was scheduled at 11:15. (Practice starts at about 11:30ish & it takes me 12 minutes to get to the pool from my office.) So around 11:05, I notice this last AM patient has signed in, and I'm thinking, cool, I'm gonna get in a double today! After all urgent visits are usually short, sweet & to the point, right? They are sick! They want their prescription, and then they want to go home and back to bed. Well, my nurse finally gets the patient back at 11:31, & I get to see her at 11:35, and at 11:58 after talking waaay too long about why you don't use chairs with wheels on them to stand on to rearrange your closet shelves & that she was lucky she didn't break her osteoporotic neck! I finally was "free" for my lunch break. And of course, once again, it is much too late to even bother going to the pool. Frustration!! I swear, in February, after all the stupid insurance verifications have been done & the schedule is a bit more reliable, I am going to get up the nerve & just TELL them, that I will be leaving at 11:15 on Mondays and Wednesdays to swim. I will see an extra person or two on Tuesday or Thursday if they want, but I need to get the heck out of Dodge! Geez!

So this morning, I swam in the (cold) rain, LCM:
    600 WU
    5 x 400 - #1&2 swim, #3 pull no paddles, #4 pull w/paddles, #5 fins (Leisurely interval of 6:30)
    100 EZ
    6 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    300 cool down (50 Br/50 Fr/100 Br/50 Fr/50 Br)
    TOTAL: 3300 LCM

Updated January 11th, 2011 at 06:49 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  7. Ruminations

by , January 8th, 2011 at 09:38 PM (Grandma Got Run Over By A Swim Team)
    I've erased all my old "blogs" and moved them to the "FLOG" page. Silly me, I thought that was what this was for!

I find that I am becoming addicted to the Discussion Forum. I've been reading it for a few years, but only started posting on it this last fall. I realized I was in the wrong place for posting my workouts when I saw something about the GTD (Go The Distance)in a post & thought I would do that too, but good grief, I don't even have the faintest idea how much I should put for my goal. My real goal is to have the guts to go to an actual swim meet! I have no idea how truly slow I am, and I'm not sure I really want to find out! What kind of times do I put on the entry form? I know I will seem like I'm sand bagging, especially in the first meet, but, there we have it - I have no idea how fast or slow I may go, and I don't want to embarrass myself!

This empty nester stuff is really getting to me. I can't really live vicariously through my son anymore, so I need to find some way to put a little extra meaning in my life. After having 5 kids, and only two of them swimmers, I kinda wish they were the first two, so I wouldn't feel so depressed. I miss talking about our workouts together, son of mine! Wish you would call home more often and share stories of your workouts, and workout buddies in college!! Fortunately, my sweet husband is, funny enough, actually interested in my goofy stories from work and the pool, and listens to me for hours. I feel like I have no direction right now. Wes & I basically "graduated" at the same time, and as he went off to college, I started my new career - but life is very empty when I come home to a very quiet house in the evening - and both my hubbie & I are on diets - so I (shouldn't) don't even get to bake treats any more!

My biggest gripes about swimming right now:
    1) I have to swim in the mornings, mostly all by myself, in the dark, alone, at 5:30 AM. Plus, right now, it's **** cold outside, so it's cold & dark & lonely.
    2) I don't get to swim at lunch with friends who would push me to try harder - and I also miss that camaraderie. (Hmmm, sounds a lot like gripe #1)
    3) My elbows hate me. I have bilateral medial epicondylitis. I've had this for going on 15 months now. They wake me up at night, they interfere with my shopping, and doing my job, and of course, they interfere with my swimming. If they didn't hurt, I might be able to do weights. If they weren't injured, I probably would be faster, because I think I have lost some strength from the injury.

So, GOALS for the new year. These are not resolutions (like, I resolve to get to the gym more. . .) these are goals with a plan.
    1) Lose the weight and get back down to 125lbs. And stay there. Less weight means, less drag in the water, and swimsuits won't have to always be black!
    2) Go to at least 5 meats this year.
    3) Do the 10 mile OW swim in Tennessee in September 2011
    4) Figure out how to swim at lunch at least twice a week
    5) Well, I would put goal times here - but I don't have a baseline, so that will have to wait. I did fairly well in the New Years 5000 swim, holding about a 1:10 for the 1:20's, and I would like to think that means I can seriously aim for under 6:00 in the 500 free - but we shall see.

~Me~

Updated January 16th, 2011 at 09:40 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning