Blog Comments

Yup!
    Glad to hear your back is doing better. Yay! And double good, good luck on the new job. very exciting.
    Sounds like you're on the mend. It's so frustrating for an athlete to be "down" for too long. Hang in there!
    Yes, definitely recovered 90%. Not sure how much I was recovered before I went, as of course, the minute I made my appt, my shoulder stopped hurting. But the morning of the first appt, it started up again.
    Expensive as compared to what? First visit was $80, second was $65 & I don't think insurance of any kind will cover it. Wish I had done it months ago. I spent $40 on a cortisone shot in August that didn't work, and all the pills I've been swallowing. . . .
    Did the accupuncture assist recovery on your shoulder? I would guess recovery is the primary result from it. Is it expensive?
    Eye candy - love it! Great way to start a morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I relate to the speed problem. When I go to Atlanta I love swimming with Heidi because she's faster than me but not blow-me-out-of-the-water faster. I know that if I lived someplace with a team to train with, I would get a lot faster.
    I wish I had a Masters Team to train with too! But we've got to work with what we have. I have a now semi-infamous saying, I know we're supposed to bloom where we're planted. But I want to be transplanted! I'm very fortunate to have Jenna to swim with, but she is literally 20 years younger than myself, and on top of her game right now. She is super driven almost every single day & uses sports as a physical outlet for the emotional stress in her life. I use sport to keep me emotionally balanced too, but I think there's a big difference between the two approaches. Kind of like eating to live vs. living to eat.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I can empathize with having lost your mojo. I feel similarly, and it definitely has to do with a tough pool situation here. Depressing pools make me depressed. I was wondering if it might also be our age? Dunno ...
    I've been wondering the same thing (age) - but then I see people my age & older who still really "get after it" and so I don't know. It's definitely an individual thing, everyone "ages" at their own pace. It seems to me that the older I get, the more perfect the conditions have to be for me to have a great workout, and what's worse, I have more requirements for perfection. Used to be I only needed cool water & a sunny sky. . . .
    I relate to the speed problem. When I go to Atlanta I love swimming with Heidi because she's faster than me but not blow-me-out-of-the-water faster. I know that if I lived someplace with a team to train with, I would get a lot faster.
    I can empathize with having lost your mojo. I feel similarly, and it definitely has to do with a tough pool situation here. Depressing pools make me depressed. I was wondering if it might also be our age? Dunno ...
    BrendaL - zoomers are short fins, this brand is made by Finis - see below

What are zoomers?
    86F.. that's INSANE! Goodluck on the meet!
    Haha, love the new blog title. I can't believe you have seven grandkids - you look way too young for that.

We're getting crazy cold weather here too and we are not prepared. I hope my pipes don't freeze!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    (measured set for me is 12 x 100 @ 1:20) despite being tired from weights/dry lands. Then when I taper & stop weights for 3 weeks, the energy floods in and hopefully I'll swim really fast!
    nx100/1:20 is a benchmark for me too. n=10 is good. I once did n=16. I never tried more, but suspect that n=20 is do-able on a good day. I have done 10x(100 fr/1:20 + 100 bk/1:30).
    I start tapering drylands about 2.5 weeks out from a big competition, and drop them entirely about 7-10 days out. Definitely gives me a boost in energy. I don't know if I would get the same if I never did drylands and just did swim workouts instead. For sure I'd still get a boost from taper, but would I be a faster overall swimmer with no drylands and more swimming? It's probably a moot point because I typically do the drylands on days when it would be difficult of impossible to get to a pool. I think the drylands are important for overall health too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Which makes one wonder --- is it better to be going as fast as you can in the pool? Will the speed be there if you haven't gone fast in practice?
    Perhaps we're supposed to go as hard and as fast as we can, even when we're tired. When we're able to go as fast as "normal" when we're dead tired, then we ought to be able to go faster than that when we're rested, right? At least that's what I'm banking on. Also, I don't want to get osteoporosis, and dry land exercises help to keep the body limber and flexible - which is what motivated me to start them in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Hmmm. I usually get in 2 dry land sessions per week of 1:30-1:45 each. Recently I've been getting an "extra" one now and then so in October, for example, I did 12 sessions. I think it is just that they are exhausting.
    Wow Karl! You get in a lot more dry land than I do - which may be why I don't have to adjust my intervals that much. I am always really tired on Friday's workouts (after T & Th dry lands/weights), then again, Mondays suck too, and Wednesdays are awful, lol! I think my goal is to get myself going faster, or repeating faster on my sets (measured set for me is 12 x 100 @ 1:20) despite being tired from weights/dry lands. Then when I taper & stop weights for 3 weeks, the energy floods in and hopefully I'll swim really fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Hmmm. I usually get in 2 dry land sessions per week of 1:30-1:45 each. Recently I've been getting an "extra" one now and then so in October, for example, I did 12 sessions. I think it is just that they are exhausting. About a week ago I noticed that my times in workout were remarkably fast, then I looked at my training log. I found that I had missed a couple of dry-land sessions. As long as I know the speed will be there when I taper off the dry lands, I guess it's ok, but I et discouraged when I can't make intervals that typically are do-able for me.
    Which makes one wonder --- is it better to be going as fast as you can in the pool? Will the speed be there if you haven't gone fast in practice? idk, we geezers probably need to do some drylands to retain muscle mass as we age, but more than 2x a week is out for me! I haven't really done any all season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    Karl, sounds like you need more dry land sessions!!
    Hmmm. I usually get in 2 dry land sessions per week of 1:30-1:45 each. Recently I've been getting an "extra" one now and then so in October, for example, I did 12 sessions. I think it is just that they are exhausting. About a week ago I noticed that my times in workout were remarkably fast, then I looked at my training log. I found that I had missed a couple of dry-land sessions. As long as I know the speed will be there when I taper off the dry lands, I guess it's ok, but I et discouraged when I can't make intervals that typically are do-able for me.
    Karl, sounds like you need more dry land sessions!!
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast