View RSS Feed

Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder

Just keeping it real . . . .

1. 4/29/13 RANT

by , April 29th, 2013 at 09:59 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Today started off really well. Had a nice workout, just kinda getting back in the swing of things after taking two days off. One of our teammates, Cecilia Williams, was FIRST in the Miromar Lakes OW swim that JRTotten was in this past weekend - way to go Cici!! She's a rising star & we all expect to see her on the Olympic team in four years - at least on a relay.
    After practice , the three masters who pay to swim with the kids (me & two others) were told that if we want to swim more than the measly hour that ATAC gets in before the kids go to school, we will need to pay an extra $4 (the usual entry fee). WHICH IS RIDICULOUS!! Apparently someone complained that we were taking up too much lane space. Some people think they need to have an entire 50m lane for themselves & don't want to share, so they complained about the three of us swimming past 6:30am. I am so ticked off in so many ways, I could hardly think straight this morning. For starters, two of the three of us already pay for an annual pass (an additional fee on top of the ATAC fee) For seconders, there are empty lanes in the pool not occupied by ANYONE. And finally, the three of us stay in the same lane, so it's not like any of "them" are going to want to get in our lane anyway! They can't kick me or Jenna out - we already pay the stupid extra fee because sometimes we come at times when ATAC isnt practicing. But the idea of them complaining about us taking up lane space is just so irritating. Today, in my lane during ATAC practice, we had 9 people. The other 4 ATAC lanes had a minimum of 7 people. The other 5 lanes in the pool had 2 a piece. If you base the amount we pay for swimming, our $75 fee, plus the annual pass, multiply that x 9 people, and our lane is worth about $900/month. Compare that to say, 2 people/lane at $4 each, the "adult swim" lanes are worth $160/month. How is it then, that THEY get to kick US out of the pool? They already get to determine the pool temperature, sit on our lane lines and break them, and force us to park farther from the pool (yes, it's true - if you are a member of the swim team, no matter how old, you must park in outer darkness, and leave the closer (non-handicapped) parking for every one else. The Bitch & Moan Club is getting on my last nerve. I wish I could win the Power Ball & come up with 100 million semoleons so I could build a pool specifically for the swim team & keep those complainers out of "my" pool.
    Anyway, workout today, which was nice until ruined by the above.

800 back/free
    2 x 400 P
    200 over under
    9 x 100 breast/free on 1:40
    100 easy
    500 drill w/snorkel & fins
    10 x 50 K on 1:00
    500 various
    Total:4500 LCM

Feel like finding a tennis ball & slamming it into the wall a few times right now.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Friday, 04/26/13

by , April 26th, 2013 at 09:20 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    I am so bloomin' tired from weights! OMGoodness, almost every part of my body hurts - even my chest just below my boobs - trying to stretch out my stroke & work on putting in a 6 beat kick, PLUS I bumped up the weights last week, and it's starting to kick in. Feeling better than yesterday for sure, but I am glad I have two days off to recover.

Swam BESIDE ATAC today

600 back/free
    5 x 100 breast/free on 1:45
    400 K
    3 x 400 P on 6:15 - I did get in around the 5:40, but decided I needed extra rest
    200 easy
    500 drill free w/fins & snorkel
    500 breast/free
    600 various

Updated April 28th, 2013 at 11:15 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Monday, April 22, 2013

by , April 22nd, 2013 at 06:00 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    The weather this year is going to drive me crazy. Super cold (for me) on Saturday, and really on the cool side again this morning - add in the wind chill factor & it made for a very brisk run to the locker room!

This weekend I was determined to do myself in as far as my fingers go. Cut my fingers in three places chopping veggies, sliced two fingers up when I found a razor I didn't expect to find in an older gym bag, cut another finger this morning on lap 3 thanks to the lane line, then got majorly whacked by someone's hand paddle (seriously, I had to double check that the end of my finger was still there), and finally, in the locker room, I managed to burn the side of my hand with my flat iron.

Well.

Could not really get going this morning. Warm water & bumping up the weights last week is my excuse. Did manage to hold up for the entire workout, just wasn't motivated to go for another 2000 like I usually do after the kids get out at 6:30.

600 back/free
    600 P
    300 K
    100 easy
    3 x 200 stroke/free on 3:30
    6 x 100 on 1:30, descending by pairs
    4 x 4 cycle speedplay
    200 easy
    600 various stroke/free
    Total: 3700 LCM

Got to get to the pool M-F this week, as they will be frying my face again on Friday afternoon, which puts me out of the pool on Sat & Sun both. Ah well, what we do to avoid cancer. . .
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Waiting for my Refund!!

by , April 15th, 2013 at 10:08 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Lovely morning with none of the expected rain! Rained so hard yesterday the guards couldn't put the mats on the pool, so the water was cooler as well. Had a fun set today w/ATAC - so fun I sort of repeated it after the kids got out & went to school.

500 back/free
    500 Pull
    300 Kick
    3 x 200 @ 3:20
    3 x 150 @ 2:30
    3 x 100 @ 1:40
    3 x 50 @ :50
    200 easy (kids out here - which meant the digital clock left as well)

3 x 200 IM
    4 x 150 P
    3 x 100 IM
    4 x 50 free
    200 cool down
    Total: 4900 LCM

Hoping to have a good week swimming w/my new program of the Genie Rub after weights & Shot Blox about 1000-1500 into the workout. It's working well so far & I'm feeling so much stronger & less achy! Thank goodness, I was kind of getting depressed for a week there. . .
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Saturday, April 13, 2013

by , April 13th, 2013 at 12:09 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Did weights for 45 min before going to practice like I usually do on Tues & Thurs - however, unlike Tues & Thurs, I was swimming with ATAC and not basically solo - usually not a good idea when my arms are achy from weights. But I lasted for 2800 before my arms went into failure, so I consider that a success. Might not have lasted that long if coach hadn't been fussing at the kids & giving us such totally delightful intervals!

600 back/free
    200 - 200 - 100 pull (missed the 2nd 100 bcs my suit was so loose around the shoulders I couldn't focus on my swimming & had to go put on another suit!!)
    4 x 100 K on 2:30
    100 easy
    4 x 100 stroke free on 2:00
    100 easy
    4 x 400 @ 7:00 (used the last one to cool down)
    Total: 3200 LCM

I'm thinking it might not be such a good idea to do weights right before a "real" practice. Perhaps I should either a) skip weights on Saturday, b) not swim with ATAC on Saturday & just swim leisurely on my own (booring!) or c) swim twice - once a quality workout with ATAC, then go to the gym - mess around & get shopping and gardening & housework done & then go back later in the afternoon for a leisurely 2000. Leaning towards "C" at the moment - might need to hire a gardener, pool boy, maid and housekeeper though, lol. Getting old may be better than the alternative, but it still sucks.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Friday, April 12, 2013

by , April 12th, 2013 at 10:47 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    This morning was awesome! Woke up 2 minutes before the alarm went off - pool water was pleasantly cool, and I wasn't achy - in fact, I actually did workout the way I remember doing it.
    500 back/free
    500 locomotive pull
    300 locomotive kick
    5 x 100 something - don't remember
    200 stroke/free, drill/swim by 25's
    12 x 100 @ 1:40, one minute rest after #11, sprint #12
    200 easy
    500 P w/snorkel
    500 P
    6 x 50 kick no fins
    2 x 100 easy
    Total: 4900

Beautiful morning swims!

I Think I've figured out how to do weights & swim. Swam after weights yesterday - slow & crappy, but I swam. Today just as we started the first kick, I ate 3 shock blox, after the kick, I ate the rest. I was not achy at all today, and although I was slightly slower than usual, I did much closer to my usual pace in workout. Big success in my book!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Thursday, April 11, 2013

by , April 11th, 2013 at 08:36 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Had a pleasant surprise this morning - was thinking that I would be doing my post-weights swim stretch by myself - but just as I got to the pool, I noticed I had left my phone in the car overnight, and I had three texts from Jenna asking if I would join her at the pool after this morning! So after my 45 mins of weights (she met me at the gym) we went to the pool. Then when we got there, there were two other people I seldom get to see any more because they swim at lunch. Nice little reunion & swim together.
    300 wam-up
    3 x 100 @ 1:30
    50 easy
    3 x 100 @ 1:25
    50 easy
    3 x 100 @ 1:20 (Pull)
    50 easy
    3 x 100 @ 1:20 (fins)
    50 easy
    10 x 50 K @ 1:05
    50 easy
    8 x 25 fly
    150 easy
    Ate 3 shock blox before swimming, but didn't notice any energy surge. DID notice how tired my shoulders & trapezius were, so I'm gonna ask my hubbie to "lawn mower" my back tonight, in hopes that it will loosen me up a bit.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Wed; 04/10/13

by , April 10th, 2013 at 03:37 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Not as good at keeping up with this as I once was. Must say something about my job. Or my fatigue level. Been having trouble actually having the energy to do workouts the way I used to just back in January. What's different? Started weights. You'd think that after 8 weeks I would be used to it by now, but you would be wrong. I just have this pervasive fatigue level. Back in December & January, keeping 12 x 100 @ 1:30 LCM was hard, but do-able, and I did it about every day. Once I remember we even went 24 x 100 @ 1:30! Today I could make three. Rested & went half-way down & back (50 m) then started up again. Had to rest again after three more. Pathetic. All these young bucks tell me that I should be acclimated to weights by now, but I'm wondering if perhaps since I am an old lady in my 50's maybe it takes a bit longer? Hopefully, because otherwise I am spiraling the drain.
    Here's workout today:
    500 back/free
    500 Pull locomotive
    5 x 100 stroke/free on 1:40
    300 kick
    100 over/under
    12 x 100 @ 1:30 (tried & died)
    6 x 4-cycle speedplay
    200 easy
    8 x 50 @ 1:00
    400 P using breath control
    Total: 3950 LCM

And Monday:
    500 back/free
    500 P
    400 K
    100 over/under
    5 x 300 @ 5:00
    8 x 4-cycle speedplay
    200 easy
    2 x 500 P, second one w/out paddles
    Total: 4200 LCM

Updated April 19th, 2013 at 10:05 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Wednesday 04/03/13

by , April 3rd, 2013 at 09:43 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Tired from weights. Telling myself it will pay off in the long run. Meanwhile. . . .

500 back/free
    500 P
    400 K
    100 easy
    12 x 100 @ 1:30 (OMG my arms were pushed to "failure" on these, literally)
    8 x 4 cycle speed play
    200 easy
    500 P no paddles
    100 easy
    Total: 3500 LCM

So all of you out there who read this blog, if you have any great ideas on what I'm supposed to be telling myself when my arms are so tired I can barely lift them. Someone told me to focus on my lats - stretching it out, someone else told me to just rest a 50 or 100 - I'm afraid if I focus on my lats that I will slow down and certainly not make the interval. But if I rest, and skip a 100 (or 50 in SC) I can go a little bit longer. I'm sure in 2 weeks I'll feel better. . . .
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Tuesday, April 2, 2013

by , April 2nd, 2013 at 01:54 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Yesterday was my in-laws 58th anniversary. Wow. Dad Lind is getting really old, and its sad to see a former astronaut, who was so virile and active, go into a decline. Mom Lind is old too, but doing better than Dad. Hoping they make it to their 60th. It's very interesting to compare them to my own parents, who are about 5 years younger - my parents are so very very active - they embraced the triathlete lifestyle about 20-25 years ago, and until 2 years ago were actually finishing Iron Man's (even in Hawaii). They are both lean, mean, fighting machines! Dad only takes one prescribed medication, and that is Lipitor. Mom takes two - but they are tiny doses. Sure hope I inherit all that good stuff!

Yesterday we did quite a bit more than he had us doing last week. Anya is becoming quite the regular - and she is definitely leading the lane.

500 back/free
    5 x 100 stroke/free on 1:40
    500 Pull
    100 "over & under"
    400 K, 25 hard/25 moderate
    100 "over & under" again
    9 x 100 on 1:30, desc 1-3 progressive
    200 easy
    3 x 500, first one pull w/snorkel but no paddles,
    second one pull w/paddles but no snorkel,
    third one w/zoomers "steady state" & working the turns
    300 breast/free cooldown
    Total: 5000 LCM

Today I went to the gym for 45 minutes - discovered a new way to use the Pec Fly - if you sit on it backwards & adjust the bars, you can seriously work your rear deltoids, which kinda feels like something we might use on the butterfly. So fun! (I love weights!!) Then over to the pool - got there seriously late, at 6:20, & got in a little 2300 as follows:

800 warmup - mixing in breast & backstroke
    8 x 75 on 1:15; 25 kick, 50 free
    6 x 100 pull on 1:20
    300 breast/free cooldown
    Total: 2300 SCY

Now to troll the web & see if there are any decent meets coming up (and I'm not talking championships, I already entered those).
    Categories
    Uncategorized