View RSS Feed

Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder

Just keeping it real . . . .

1. Wed, May 22, 2013

by , May 22nd, 2013 at 05:27 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    I totally rocked workout today. Finally, they are leaving the tarps off the pool - and not too soon either, with high's in the mid-90's the water will stay warm all night.

Learning how to catch myself in the middle of negative thinking and turn it around - it's so cool! WHY!?! didn't I know how to do this as a kid? It might have made all the difference. Was swimming the last of my 300's this morning, feeling grumpy that we weren't getting as much rest as I would've liked, and coming in to the wall on the 2nd 50, I was telling myself that it was like the 200 mark in my 400, only 200 left to go! Then when I flipped, something changed in my head & I was good! Caught the girl in front of me (who I had given a 15 sec lead) and nearly passed her completely on the last bit there. It wasn't until later that I realized what I had done (mentally) & it is just so cool - I remember as a kid, and even in my 30's, talking trash to myself & I would talk myself right out of the race. If only I had my 16 year old body & speed again, who knows what positive thinking might accomplish?

Anyway, workout today:

500 back/free
    2 x 300 P w/15 sec rest between each
    400 Reverse IM
    100 easy
    4 x 300 on 4:40
    200 easy
    400 Kick w/zoomers
    20 x 50: drill, build, drill, fast - five times thru - last one from a dive - UNfortunately, the digital clock had been put up by this point, and the four of us doing this were clueless as to our times, but I'm sure we were AWESOME! Felt like it anyway!
    400 done as: 50 Breast, 50 Free, 100 Breast, 50 Free, 50 Breast, 100 Free
    Total: 4800 LCM
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 5/21/13

by , May 21st, 2013 at 08:51 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    First day of "taper" - on the weights anyway. Made the mistake of doing weights on Sunday morning & not swimming to loosen up afterward - still feeling the lovely achy results of that this morning. It took me almost the entire 5000 yesterday to not feel achy, woke up this morning again feeling achy. Brother - you would think I would know better!

So, yesterday we had an actual FUN practice - I don't remember all of it, but the main set(s) were:
    8 x 150 @ 2:30, Free/Stroke/Free IM order
    12 x 50 @ :55 & 1:05, 3 Free & 3 Stroke

Today was "1/2" weights - meaning I went around the circuit only once, then off to the pool to loosen up. Pleasantly surprised to see Jenna & Ali there, but they were 85% of the way through their workout when I arrived, so I still swam solo:
    7 x 300:
    back/free;
    pull no paddles,
    kick,
    drill,
    pull w/paddles,
    breast/free/breast, and
    3 x 100 IM no free straight
    2100 sorta easy, but just what I needed with achy shoulders.

Applied Traumeel to the arms & legs & will get a massage tonight & should be good to go tomorrow. Now if only they would get the LC pool temp as cool as the baby pool! Something's wrong there. . . .
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 5/18/13 Follow-up on my RANT

by , May 19th, 2013 at 06:04 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Happy to say that whomever it was that complained about the "older" ATAC swimmers staying in the pool longer than an hour have been shut up. Coach reminded management that ATAC pays for the pool until 7am (90 min) - not to mention of course, the annual pass that gives Jenna & I a "free" ride for however long we want to stay in the pool. Interestingly enough, the complainer turned out to be a noodler who was breaking the rules herself! They apparently pay a fee for the water aerobics class & are permitted to get in the pool 15 min early & stay 15 after at no extra charge. BUT she and another were getting in 30 min early & telling the lap swimmers in the lane next to them that they had to move, because the first two lanes were reserved for their class. Hahahaha - they were informed of reality, that the pool was NOT theirs at 6:30, and in fact, they were not supposed to get in any earlier than 6:45 unless THEY paid an extra $4!!! Talk about justice!!
    Anyway, I've been workin' hard in the pool, getting in about 4500 4-5 x a week & getting ready to start my taper for Pan Am's.

Friday we did:
    500 back/free warm-up
    500 locomotive style Pull
    5 x 100 breast/free on 1:45
    3 x 100 K on 2:15
    12 x 100 @ 1:40, desc 1-3 progressive w/a minute rest before #12 (went a 1:16)
    200 choice (kids got out here)
    5 x 300 Drill, Pull, Kick, Drill, Breast/Free cool down (4500 LCM)

Saturday I swam solo - had a great need for sunshine & had the 2 year old grandbaby meeting me at lunch to play in the waterpark. Did a paltry 4000 SCY
    600 back/free warm-up
    2 x 300 P
    3 x 200 breast/free
    12 x 50 K on 1:00
    12 x 50 alt fly & free
    2 x 100 IM
    2 x 200 IM
    2 x 100 IM
    200 easy

Getting so psyched for the Pan Am meet! Totally loving weights too, so although I'm excited to start my taper - I'll miss going to the gym!! On the bright side, however, I might actually catch up on my sleep!
    Categories
    Uncategorized