View RSS Feed

Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder

Just keeping it real . . . .

1. Monday, July 29, 2013

by , July 29th, 2013 at 02:07 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Considering going on a vacation near the end of August - was planning on a meet in PCB, but now maybe I will look further out from home. Feeling much better in the water now that the stupid statin is out of my system. Right shoulder still an issue, but strangely enough, not while I swim. Actually, I guess I should say, FORTUNATELY enough, not while I swim. Aching even now as I type.

No kids at the pool today - Sr. Champs was this past weekend, and the fast ones are tapering for Jr. & Sr Nats. Had a lane to myself, and no pace clock!

600 back/free
    2 x 300 P, first one w/out paddles
    3 x 200 K w/zoomers
    100 easy
    600 swim
    6 x 100 breast/free
    100 easy
    6 x 200 @ 3:10 P
    500 easy mixed

Total: 4500 LCM
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Thursday; July 25, 2013

by , July 25th, 2013 at 09:04 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    600 back/free
    600 pull
    4 x 150 free/kick/free (w/zoomers)
    6 x 100 breast/free by 50
    2 x 200 pull no paddles
    Total: 2800 LCM

Swam very easy this morning - just recuperating from weights. Dropped the weights back down about 5-10lbs per station as well. Avoiding overtraining, and the right labrum still a little tender, although by the end of my swim, it was feeling pretty good.

On a side note, despite my cubital & carpal tunnel surgeries last year, I still have elbow pain at times. So annoying. They say I waited too long to have surgery and so will have "residual" effects. I didn't wait too long. My primary was stubborn and wouldn't allow me to see neuro until I had a temper tantrum.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Smart & Perhaps Not So Smart

by , July 24th, 2013 at 09:04 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Smart, because I slept in yesterday (no weights, no swimming) - a much needed break for my poor labrum strain - feeling much better in that regard. Not so smart, because I started on Crestor about 10 days ago - and I had heard about the myalgia, but didn't realize how it was going to affect me. I'm stopping pronto. We'll have to manage my LDL another way. Could barely make it through 3600 today. Geez.

500 back/free
    500 Pull
    500 Kick
    100 easy
    3 x 300 breast/free on ?some interval, which I kept fine, I did about 200 of each 300 breast, and 100 of it was freestyle
    100 easy
    4 x 150 Pull on 2:30
    400 free
    100 kick
    And that's all she wrote. Hope the statin leaves my body soon, like before tomorrow morning.
    Total: 3600 LCM
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Monday, July 22, 2013

by , July 22nd, 2013 at 08:45 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Haven't swum in about four days, a good thing perhaps, as I suspect I have a right labrum strain, if not a tear. The pain is increasing even at rest - although I must say that swimming actually doesn't hurt it, pec press does, so I won't be doing that at the gym for a while. Had a GREAT time at my conference, just didn't have the opportunity to swim.
    Today I had a Greek yogurt before practice, and had no problems w/my stomach at all. Did ok in practice, not super, but good.
    600 back/free
    600 pull
    400 kick
    400 drill/swim
    100 easy
    4 x 300@ 5:30
    12 x 50 kick @ 1:10
    100 easy
    6 x 100 pull @ 1:40, held 1:25 and lower
    100 easy
    Total: 4700
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Monday, July 15, 2013

by , July 15th, 2013 at 09:28 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Took the weekend off - it was hard - especially when the sun came out on Sunday - I wanted to go to the pool so bad!!! But I made myself stay inside & read a book - and play with my 5 week old granddaughter. Had my daughter & her 5 kids over to dinner - the Son-in-Law was OOT at some convention for basketball referree-ing & boy was she overwhelmed!! Anyway, I think this is going to be a good thing - cutting down to weights on Tues & Thurs, core on Saturday; with an easy 2-3000 afterward. MWF I will max at 4500 LCM. I noticed the difference in the pool this morning already! I also "made myself" eat a Shot Blox after 1500 in (had to give myself time to process my thyroid pill).

600 back/free
    600 pull - mod/hard by 50's
    400 Kick, 75 hard, 25 easy
    400 breast/free
    6 x 100 stroke/free @ 1:40 (I actually kept these - which was a good first sign!)
    100 easy
    5 x 300 @ 4:45, last two I pulled w/my agility paddles
    300 easy

I actually felt good through the entire practice - can't say I felt "strong" but I didn't feel like I was dying either. I could easily have done another set - especially since it was just 16 x 50 kick - but I had to shave my legs, lol!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Friday, July 12, 2013

by , July 12th, 2013 at 08:00 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Today makes one year at my "new" job at American Care. Wow - and I actually still like my job (if only they would fix the computer charting issues). So, I woke up this morning pretty sore from yesterday's weights - don't know why, I didn't increase the weights, or anything - but I HAVE had a couple of bad nights. On Tuesday, I had to leave straight from the pool & drive 3 hours to cover another clinic - then that night in the hotel I was up & down all night, listening to the traffic - didn't get to swim Wednesday due to being out of town & not really knowing the pool options there - then I had to drive back home & had a REALLY bad night where I woke up at about 11 feeling like I was going to barf - but I COULDN'T barf - went back to sleep, woke up at 1:30 & you would have thought I was on Lasix - and again at 3:30, and then suddenly it was 4:50 & time to go do weights.
    Anyways, today I was sore the minute I woke up. Had to play catch with the cat (yes, the cat) and so ended up at the pool a little late. Did fairly well for the first 3000, and then my body basically just called it quits. And I was still sore, even after the 3000 "warmup". Basically the next set was a wash.

600 back/free
    600 pull, done as 3 x 200; 100 hard/100 easy; 50 hard/50 easy; 25 hard/25 easy - only you didn't stop at the 200, you just kept going
    300 Kick, 25 hard, 25 moderate
    6 x 100 stroke/free @ 1:40
    12 x 50 Pull @ :50; 70-80-90% by groups of 4
    300 Kick, same as above
    100 easy
    then 4 x thru (everyone else did 6 x thru): 200 @ 3:00, 2 x 50 @ 1:00, second 50 sprint & descend the 200's to an all out 200. Here is where I realized I had run out of gas - moved to the Leisure Lap Lane & just tried to finish - I did NOT do the 200's on 3:00 - in fact, I was just happy to do a 200. And I did NOT sprint any 50's. But I did get in a bit of yardage & survived the day. I believe tomorrow will be a much deserved leisure swim day at lunch time hopefully, while I work on my "tan".
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Monday, July 8, 2013

by , July 8th, 2013 at 08:53 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Can NOT believe that my alarm didn't go off until 6:00am - despite being set for 4:50 like usual, and no one messed with it!! There has been a lot of electrical activity due to Mother Nature, however, so maybe that was the problem?

Got to the pool ~ 6:30, lucky for me the Premier people couldn't swim at their pool due to pump problems, so I had a couple of speedy people to race.

600 back/free

4 x 200 P @ 3:15 (got 20-25 sec rest)

100 easy

200 50 kick, 50 swim

4 x 50 back on 1:00

100 easy

5 x 100 @ 1:30 (actually kept them all - granted only by 5 sec or less, but I DID keep them!!)

3 x 100 breast

100 free

Total: 2900
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. 7/6/13

by , July 6th, 2013 at 06:07 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    No swimming for me today, suffering from some melancholy this morning - although I was perfectly fine at Kinetix, came home to wait for the pool to open up, and felt like crying for no good reason. Went to the pool, and of course, the water was ridiculously cold (77), overcast sky (great boon to my mood there), and then it started to sprinkle, and right before I dove in, lightning. Of course. It's a good thing I have swum M thru F this week w/an avg of 5300 or so each day. I'm pooped anyway, and just need to rest. Was hoping for some sunshine & a swim to cheer me up, but oh well. Next week I hope to have an "adventure" w/a masters group in Jacksonville, as I have to cover a clinic there Tues thru Fri, and the next week, I have an endocrinology conference (woo hoo! Can't wait!) in Orlando at the Disney Swan Hotel - don't know if I'll get to swim those 3 days or not! I might bask in the lovely 88 degree hotel pool.
    Categories
    Uncategorized