View RSS Feed

Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder

Just keeping it real . . . .

1. Friday, Sept 27, 2013 - Blah

by , September 27th, 2013 at 04:05 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Not motivated this morning - kids got out after 45 minutes (those who were going to FSPA) and Sela and Jen weren't there, so. . . . Got there late to boot

100 warmup
    500 P
    500 K
    100 easy
    5 x 100 IM or stroke/free on 1:30 (that is just too damn hard at 5:30 in the morning)
    10 x 50 @ :45, 5 at 70%, 5 at 90%
    100 easy
    6 x 100 K @ 2:00
    200 easy
    Total: 3200

Starting to get excited about the Orlando meet! Only two or three meets this year, then off to Europe this summer. I need a vacation so bad. . . .
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Early Morning, as usual 09/17/13

by , September 17th, 2013 at 07:23 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Wasn't planning on getting up early this morning, was planning on sleeping in, but Jenna wanted a buddy, and she's always there for me, so. . .

Had a pretty good workout yesterday, main set was 200's pull on 2:40, and I did better than usual. Today's main set was theoretically "easier" - but I had done weights first, and I put on zoomers so I basically raced the whole darn thing - 4 x 150 IM twitch on 2:15 (got about 20-25 sec rest) followed immediately by 6 x 50 @ :40 - went out waaay too fast on the first one, and was seriously dragging on the last one. But I felt good about my swimming both yesterday and today. Feeling very positive about the Rowdy Gaines meet in about 4 weeks!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Lunch Swim, after weights 9/14/13

by , September 15th, 2013 at 04:22 PM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    I think I'm going to begin doing weights in the evening after work rather than in the mornings. Two advantages, one I am certain of, the other will tell; by going to the gym after work on MWF, I will get to sleep in on T & Th, plus, perhaps be a bit more productive those nights - currently I come home & generally veg out. (OR, I could go to the gym after work on T & Th & then in the afternoon/evenings on Saturday) - and hopefully by not doing weights immediately before I swim, I won't be so darn exhausted when I swim. I would like to be able to have more quality in my workouts every day I swim.
    I have strained my right rotator cuff - not too badly - but enough that I bothered me so much that I took a flexeril on Friday night. Wish it had only been 5mg instead of 10mg, because I was blitzed Saturday morning & couldn't drag myself out of bed until about 10am. Went to the gym ~11 & then to the pool for a solo swim - I picked a Dave Salo workout for a change & was mentally up for it, but not physically. My muscles were just too tired (plus I didn't have the motivation of my team mates around me). I'm happy to say that I did do the majority of it well, even though I did not do the goal times for each set.

400 back/free
    4 x 100 P (no paddles)
    4 x 50 kick
    100 easy
    The next is done 3 times through:
    2 x 25 P sprint on :30
    2 x 50 P on 1:00; P200 - which means you go the pace you want to be on the 2nd 100 of your 200
    100 @ 1:45; P200 again
    Then: 3 x 100 @ 1:30; P500
    Repeat the entire bit from the 25's through
    300 breast/free

This was a thinking set as well as a doing set - plenty of rest, and time to think about why in the world I wanted to do this set today!!! But seriously, I had to sit down before I got out of the car & actually figure out what my P200 and P500's actually would be. Lots of rest - was still pooped by the end anyway.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Friday, Sept 13, 2013

by , September 13th, 2013 at 09:45 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Water cold, not as bad as yesterday, thank goodness, but still cold. The city is getting even with us for complaining about the hot water - now the temp is around 77.5 degrees. Swam Wed "by myself" - meaning I was the only old lady in the pool with a bunch of teenagers;
    Water cold, not as bad as yesterday, thank goodness, but still cold.

500 back/free
    400-300-200-100 Pull on 1:20 base
    500 locomotive kick
    100 easy
    18 x 100 @ 1:20
    100 easy

I didn't do all of the 18 x 100's - did just 50's on about 6 of them - made up for it later with some breast/free - just not feeling it this morning swam yesterday by myself as well, after doing weights. RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) flaring up again - I have aches and pains more places than I don't & it probably means I get to go on the old prednisone again. Hate that - prednisone makes you so hungry! and you don't even realize what you're doing. But my wrists and hands/fingers are really achy, as well as my ankles and feet & toes, so I'm doomed, I guess. Hopefully this flare will be short-lived.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Monday, Sept 9, 2013

by , September 9th, 2013 at 09:25 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    Wow, I can't believe it's been over a week since I wrote in here - especially since I didn't flog my workout Friday & was hoping to find it here so I could record it. Bummer, don't know if I remember all of it at all.

Water was cold today - probably 77 or 78 degrees. Felt pretty good by the end though, gotta say.

500 back/free
    10 x 50 P on :40
    5 x 100 IM on 1:40 (15 sec rest easy)
    100 easy
    10 x 50 K on 1:00
    100 easy
    4 x 400 on 5:30 (swim, pull no paddles, pull, zoomers)
    200 kick easy
    3 x 200 breast with 50 free between each, and
    100 free cool down
    Total: 4800

**entered the Rowdy Gaines meet - so excited to see everyone again & swim on some RELAYS!
    Categories
    Uncategorized