View RSS Feed

Workout Swimmer

Just keeping it real . . . .

1. Complain complain complain. . . .

by , April 23rd, 2016 at 06:56 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    It's been a while since I wrote in here, or my FLOG. There's a reason for that. . . .
    On the positive side, went to the St. Pete meet first weekend in April, and had so much fun! Amazing how NOT entering the 200 breast can do that for ya, lol. And I didn't swim all that poorly, especially when you consider that I haven't really been training to race, and I have decided that going 100% is just not my thing any more. I never was a sprinter anyway.
    Now for my beef. I know that my issues are a lot "my fault" or, in other words, the results of decisions I have made. For instance I chose to be an NP, and thus my time in the pool must be before I go to work, or on my days off, if any. I also choose to work at a clinic an hour from home, in a city that doesn't have a public pool. And of course I choose to live in Tallahassee, home of all things triathlon. Is it too much to ask for a local masters SWIM team? People who might like to swim in meets with me? People who might like to race in practice? And I'm not talking about high school and college kids, here! And given that I'm LDS, it would be cool to have some LDS friends who were swimmers too, instead of all LDS people just looking at me funny when I tell them I'm a swimmer. And while I'm at it, it would be nice to have water that is cooler than 85 degrees to swim in. . .and they heat it to that temp, too! And since I'm grousing, when I finally get this swim team in Tallahassee, which has some LDS swimmers on it, and who actually want to train at the same time I do, could they be somewhat similar in speed? And could the water be cooler in this magical land I'm speaking of? Maybe?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. March 11, 2016

by , March 11th, 2016 at 09:37 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    Interesting few days. . .
    We had this tiny little meet - more of a time trial, on Wed night. We have in Florida "Senior Games" - Tallahassee has a dismal participation rate in the swimming portion anyway, but one must at least swim in the local meet to qualify to go to the "state" meet, where actual competition will be, in December. So I went. After waking up at 4:30 because? I just did. Swam my usual 5000 LCM workout that morning, saw 22 patients, "flew" in after my usual one hour commute for a 15-20 minute warm-up & we had the meet. It was basically an entire meet in 2-1/2 hours, with one gentleman who took 2-1/2 minutes to do a 50 free. He swam the 200 breast, 200 back - 6 events in all. This was nice, because my 100 breast was to be followed immediately by my 50 free, and we had combined heats of men and women for that 100 breast, which meant a couple of seconds rest only, right? (Just like workout) But no, this gentleman was in the breaststroke heat with me, and so I got an extra 5 minutes before my 50 free, lol. I just swam everything about workout pace (1:20ish) but I still was pooped after the 200 and then 500.
    This morning I got to swim solo again - looks like the beginning of a trend. Did a boring 4000.
    I'm getting worried about my ability to go "fast" in the St.Pete meet, since I don't seem to be able to convince myself to work hard, when I swim in an empty pool all by meself. Next week will be more of the same, with the kids on Spring Break. Gotta do it somehow!!

Updated March 11th, 2016 at 07:56 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. March 7, 2016

by , March 7th, 2016 at 09:38 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    Getting tired of swimming solo - seems like ever since Christmas, this has been the case, more often than not. Today was no exception.
    600 warm-up
    2 x 300 pull, second w/paddles
    10 x 50 kick
    8 x 100
    2 x 500
    300 breast/free
    200 cooldown
    4000LCM
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Feb 23, 2016

by , February 23rd, 2016 at 02:11 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Just got back from watching our son at his final college conference meet - best times in 3 out of 4, so happy for him! It was a great weekend, and a wonderfully run meet by the SSC officials at Orlando YMCA on I-Drive, as usual.
    Swam about 4300 LCM yesterday on my own
    Today, went over after weights at Kinetix (love that place!) and only got in 2200SCY - however that was in 30 minutes - so a total win! After all if I went 2200 every 30 min, I would do 6600 in my usual time in the pool - but we all know that doesn't happen, with intervals, resting, talking. . . . but I swam solo again, so. . .
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Feb 1, 2016

by , February 1st, 2016 at 09:53 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    New Month, newly recommitted.
    January has been rough. I do NOT tolerate cold temperatures well. Combine that with some of the drama around my house lately, and although I was swimming, I was mainly going through the motions, I'm afraid. Something happened last night, which helped me get a more positive attitude in all aspects of my life.
    It was odd this morning to find myself the ONLY swimmer in the pool for the first 75 minutes. I had 600 to go, when finally someone else showed up.
    Got in a nice 4000 LCM
    1000 w/up
    5 x 600 various - did a lot of focusing on correct technique today.

New goal for the month (I think I almost have the arms where I want them) is to do 3 underwater dolphins off each turn. We shall see how long this lasts. I have corrected a couple of things since September that now have become habit, so this will be the new one.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Dec 28, 2015 - My Arms are TOAST

by , December 28th, 2015 at 10:45 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    So we switched to LCM last week - and today makes four whole workouts in the water since then - OMG I hate the first 2 weeks back in long course!!! PLUS on Saturday, began a little bit of training for the Warrior Dash - using the ropes and other nonsense. GEEZ, this is going to be a long week - gonna make myself swim M-Thurs this week, as it is LCM each day and goes to long course only on MWF NEXT week.
    800 warm-up
    6 x 200; swim, pull, IM "twitch"
    100 easy
    6 x 150, 50 kick, 100 swim on 2:45
    10 x 100 pull on 1:45 - which was lovely, getting over 15 sec rest on each one, I needed that! (see above complaint about my arms!)
    300 easy
    Total: 4300 LCM

***NEW YEARS GOALS***
    Lose 10 lbs by Valentines Day
    Do the Elliptical 3 x week, building up to 30 minutes at a time
    Next meet: Auburn, Valentines weekend
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Tooting My Own Horn!! (12/14/15)

by , December 14th, 2015 at 09:44 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    Basically solo swim at Meyers Park this morning. Couldn't decide what to really do after warm-up, so decided to go with boring, lol!
    600 warm-up
    4 x 300 various - one was kick, one pull, one drill, last one swim
    4 x 600, 50 easy after each, 1st one swim, 2nd bouy no paddles, 3rd, bouy w/paddles, 4th swim. Goal was to build somewhat, and the last 100 was to be 90-95% effort. Was pretty tired.
    At this point, I had only been swimming 61 minutes! (4300)
    10 x 50 w/"shooters" off the walls on :50 - which ended up with me going "all out" for the first 30 yds or so
    200 easy
    2 x 150 breast/free
    Total: 5300 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Dec 7, 2015

by , December 7th, 2015 at 09:42 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    Got a stupid cold over the weekend - actually I probably was coming down with it all week, since my Grandkids all have pneumonia and/or bronchitis, and they spent time with us over Thanksgiving. They share everything! But I sorta noticed it on Saturday, as all Friday night I spent in my Lazy Boy, to reduce my coughing from the postnasal drip. Yesterday I spent most of the day sleeping - didn't realize I needed it - I would sit down to read my book, or play on the computer or watch TV, and next thing I knew, I was napping. Had planned on making Christmas cookies too! Oh well, no one needs my germs. Got out early this morning because I had to have my blood drawn at 7:15.

800 Warmup
    6 x 200; swim, pull, IM twitch (by 200's)
    6 x 150; kick, stroke, swim by 50's
    50 easy
    300 - 75 free, 25 breast
    Total: 3300 SCY

*** Only 2 more weeks, and we go back to LONG COURSE!!! Woo Hoo!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Dec 2, 2015

by , December 2nd, 2015 at 10:57 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    5000 SCY solo

Don't know where everyone was this morning. We all managed to miss on Monday, yesterday Stephanie & I crossed paths - she was getting out as I was getting in, and today, the pool was nearly empty. There were only about 12 ATAC swimmers there as well.

600 w/up
    2 x 300 pull no paddles yet - still babying the rib
    4 x 100 kick @ 2:00
    100 easy
    12 x 75; 4 IM, 4 pull, 4 free
    12 x 150; 6 going 100 smooth, 50 hard, then 6 going 100 hard, 50 easy
    (The last 6 were exhausting)
    600 various, including some breaststroke, with the last 100 yds easy
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Happy December! 12/01/15

by , December 1st, 2015 at 10:48 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    Boy, didn't realize how sporadically I've been writing in here. I've had a rough month, physically. Plus travel & Thanksgiving. About a week before Thanksgiving I "popped a rib" meaning I dislocated it, and was in excruciating pain - took several days to convince me that it wasn't just a pulled muscle or nerve pain stemming from my neck. Went to the chiropractor and had him pop it back into place the Monday before Thanksgiving. I was still quite sore for a whole - but I am almost completely better now. I'm still not allowing myself to use paddles yet, as I tried that on Friday, and it exacerbated things again. I think I'll put the paddles on again next week. Just so happy to be able to swim & go to the gym - they say you don't appreciate your health until you lose it, and boy is that true!!!

Yesterday I was hammered from taking superboy back down to Tampa - his coach had them report at 6pm for practice - which he got out of because he had a toenail narrowed on Friday, and wasn't allowed back in the pool until Monday. But the swim coach wanted to see his pretty face anyway - anyhoo - the traffic was stop and go from Gainesville all the way to Tampa - made our 4.5 hour drive a 6.5 hour drive. Got home around 10pm and woke up yesterday too tired to do much more than go to work.

Back to normal today, fortunately!! Went to the gym for about an hour, and then to the pool to loosen up - did 2500 - a bunch of 300 yd sets, followed by a 100 easy.

Updated December 2nd, 2015 at 10:52 AM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. I am BUSHED! 11/06/15

by , November 6th, 2015 at 12:05 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Swam 5500 SCY this morning, and over 3000 of it was "hard". I think I am going to be hungry today!!

Marci is training for this crazy Ultra Man in February, and has to do nearly 5 mile swim on day one, so we are trying to get in 5000yd/meter workouts as frequently as we can. Today we managed to do well:
    600 warm-up
    8 x 50 pull no paddles on :50
    10 x 100 alt IM & Free on 1:45 & 1:30
    500 free
    10 x 100 alt 1:20 & 1:30 Pull
    500 free
    5 x 100 kick/free by 50's on 1:45
    5 x 100 with bouy around the ankles on 1:45
    500 cool down
    Really, I am bushed. I know the intervals don't sound that hard, but the effort expended WAS hard, so despite the rest, these were high quality swims. I am not "thrilled" with my repeat times, but I am pretty darn happy.

**Doing lots of thinking about different things lately. When I was a kid, I remember when I wanted to go faster, I think I just remembered to pull faster, maybe kick more. Now as an adult, I've noticed that when I want to go faster I seriously watch my technique and PULL HARDER, but not necessarily faster. So I'm sorta wondering, is that part of why kids are so much faster now-a-days than we were when I was a kid - because we are teaching them better technique & emphasis now?
    ***ALSO, when I'm pulling with the bouy around my ankles, we've noticed a serious pulling sensation very low in the abdomen (which is good) forcing us to press down on our T-Zone. So, I'm wondering, since men seem to carry their weight in their shoulders, and women their weight in their hips, is this why men are naturally faster - not to discount their increased strength period, but also because they naturally press their T-Zone deeper as they swim?

Updated November 6th, 2015 at 09:17 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. 10/28/15

by , October 28th, 2015 at 02:36 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Took a page from pwb book and did this today:
    3 x 50 @ :50
    2 x 100 @ 1:25
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    Did the above twice through, then added pull bouy and paddles and did it twice more on the following intervals
    3 x 50 @ :45
    2 x 100 @ 1:20
    1 x 150 @ 2:00
    This was a nice little 2000 yd set - I know Patrick did it LCM, but hey, he's faster than me/us!
    Before that set, we had an 800 w/up, and afterward we did
    5 x 100 kick/swim on 1:50
    then 300 drill free
    400 stroke/free by 50
    500 pull no paddles
    Total: 4500 SCY

**On the bright side, I have been able to get to bed ON TIME now every night. I've got my husband committed & persuaded him to read from an electronic reader instead of a "book" when he settled down last night so I wouldn't be kept awake by the light on the end table. AND I've been able to easily get out of bed all week.

Updated October 28th, 2015 at 11:14 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. 10/24/15

by , October 24th, 2015 at 09:30 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    I am rather frustrated with myself - I've been burning the candle at both ends again, I suppose. I had a goal this week, of swimming Mon-Fri (AM's) so that I could take off today and do some painting around the house, without feeling time strapped. So what happens? On Tues nite, I must've gone to bed too late, plus I slept poorly, waking up frequently, so that Wed., coming home from work I was so hammered, I went to bed (on & off) at 6:30pm. (I felt so strange the last 5miles home, I was kinda dizzy, but I wasn't, and I knew I was exhausted, but I felt quite alert - it was weird.) Slept fairly well, but still felt off in the AM, so didn't go to the gym OR the pool. Swam a good set yesterday ~4000, and today I thought, I'd better sleep in, make sure I'm healthy. Piddled my day away, finally got to the gym around 3pm, and never made it to the pool.
    Spent some quality time with my oldest daughter, went out to dinner, and I'm thinking, I can do better! Swimming, or rather working out, on the weekends is always so pathetic for me!
    So I have Plan A, and Plan B:
    Plan A - attempt once again to swim Mon-Fri. This requires going to bed by 9pm, with eyes shuttered at 9:30.
    Plan B - if some unforeseen sleep deprivation or other disaster occurs, is to get up on Saturday like I would during the week, and if needed, TAKE A NAP in the afternoon!

I can do this! Mind over Mattress!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. 10/19/2015

by , October 19th, 2015 at 10:06 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    Only 2 more days until Marty McFly comes back!
    It's been a while since I blogged in here - I have discovered the joy of the Smash Book/Art Journal & have been using that for a bit of a creative outlet. Since my last blog, I have been to Orlando for a week long endocrine conference followed by the Rowdy Gaines SCM meet - I swam only on Saturday, since I wasn't "in the mode" - but I have been fairly regular about getting to the pool, otherwise,
    I have been better about going to the gym - having rejoined about a month ago.
    Swimming closer to 4500/5000 with each workout:
    Today I did:
    800 w/up
    3 x 200 pull w/15 sec rest
    4 x 100 kick @ 2:00
    4 x 50 @ :50
    3 x 100 IM @ 1:45
    2 x 150 pull @ 2:05
    200 IM
    200 pull no paddles
    2 x 150 IM twitch
    3 x 100 @ 1:25
    4 x 50 @ :45
    200 Breast/free
    500 Pull (speed play)
    100 easy

**So Putting this out there, so I can be accountable later: I fully intend to swim M-F so I can paint on Saturday (touch ups around the house)
    🌸🌹🌺🌻🌼💐
    who knew these cute pics were here?!

Updated October 19th, 2015 at 10:11 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. 9/11/15.

by , September 11th, 2015 at 06:58 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    This has been a good week for swimming, for me. On Labor Day, we swam at one of the FSU pools (Morcom), and the water was cool, the sun was shining, and BONUS: the FSU men's team was there too - eye candy! (JK - They were on the other side of the bulkhead!)
    Main set was 10 x 200, dropping the interval after #3 & #6 by 10 seconds each time. I was swimming well, and was pretty tired afterward. We did about 4200.
    Tuesday, the water was 74-75 degrees. I swam 3000 practically straight and then ran to the showers!
    Yesterday I finally got my butt back to the gym, and swam an easy 2000 afterwards to stretch it out. Which was smart, because, today, ouch!
    Had a flippin' Olympian next to me this AM. He was cruising along doing our 200s at 2:04, 2:05, I was THRILLED to be about 2:33! I haven't really been asked to do many 1:20s lately, so today was ruff, but I was pleased with how I did.
    800 warmup
    5 x 200 pull @ 2:40
    100 easy
    10 x 100, drop interval by 5 sec every 2, starting (for me) at 1:40
    6 x 150 free/kick/free by 50 on 2:30
    300 easy breaststroke
    500 pull w/only a buoy
    Total ~4500

AND it's supposed to rain all weekend, and the temps are supposed to drop a bit. Guess I'll swap yard work for CEU's and Scrapbooking
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Blah! 9/5/15

by , September 6th, 2015 at 04:18 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Swam a paltry 3000 - water was warm, and no buddies. Plus, my back hurt. Why? Because I'm a lazy butt and spent too much time lolly gagging in bed this morning! When will I ever learn?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Shoots & Ladders 09/02/15

by , September 2nd, 2015 at 02:09 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    So startled to realize it is September!
    Decided to up my ante to 5000 per day until I get my parents settled, on every day that I am allowed to swim. My birthday swim on the 16th was 5600, so I'm going with that "theme" I suppose.
    600 w/up
    Up & Down the ladder by 25's - (25/50/75/100/100/75/50/25 repeat) Pull on mod interval (Shoot, thought I could go faster than I'm going today!)
    8 x 50 kick
    6 x 150, alt IM twitch & free on 2:30 & 2:15
    2 x 100 pull no bouy (while I think up the 2nd half of workout, lol)
    Shoot - everyone else got out of the pool, including the kids, and now being inundated by the sidestrokers & noodlers - which pushed me into a ladder lane, making it ever so easy to flip ON the dumb ladder. (Shoot! that hurt!)
    600 steady state
    3 x 200 pull
    6 x 100 IM
    100 easy
    Total: 5000
    Water was COLD today.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Enduring (08/31/2015)

by , August 31st, 2015 at 06:31 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    to the end isn't all that exciting. Wonder what the elderly did to entertain themselves before TV? Geez, I'm tired of sitting on my keister all day. Got in a measly 4200 this morning, had to hurry home before the caregiver left at 8am, and had to get V-8 and more Depends for my dad too. I was planning on swimming 5000/day For the rest of my time here in Houston, especially since I have no idea whether I'll be able to swim in Springfield (VA) or not - depends on my brother-in-law & his willingness to help, since my sister will still be in Houston getting my parents stuff loaded on the moving van and the house turned over to the realtor for sale.

Originally planned on 10 x 500, alternating 500 straight with 5 x 100, ended up with something entirely different:

500 - 75 free/25 back
    500 kick w/zoomers
    500 pull no paddles
    5 x 200 IM with no fins!
    5 x 200 pull, alternating breathing by 7 & 5 each 50
    4 x 150 swim/kick/swim by 50
    100 easy
    Total: 4200 SCY

Now I think I'll troll the workouts on here for good ideas for the rest of the week.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. In Houston

by , August 28th, 2015 at 05:27 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Helping my declining parents. Stuck here 3 weeks until we get them relocated closer to my sister in VA. Swimming at the Williams pool in Webster, TX, which is nice enough, water is warmer than I prefer, but comfortable enough. Not able to really get my speed on, due to the circumstances - it's all very sad, dad has Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, mom has depression and severe anxiety, and has gone from being a strong woman to being a sniffling, helpless, demanding and totally dependent person practically over night. She is capable of caring for herself but won't. My sister and I are at our wits end. Daddy isn't that hard to take care of, and his health is the worst! But now they require 24 hour care because mom can't handle being alone with Daddy at all. Anyway I've been taking care of my brain by taking care of my body. Only got in ~3000 on Monday, but Tuesday was about 4300, Wednesday was 4500, and today was 5000. I wish I could break away in the middle of the day to escape them, but oh well.

Today I did basically 6 x 800:
    800: 200 free then 100 IM repeat
    800: 4 x 200, 50 kick, 50 swim
    800: 100 moderate, 2 x 300 pull, 100 moderate
    900: 6 x 150, free/breast/free by 50's
    1200: 3 x 100, 50 easy repeat
    600: 12x 50 @ :45
    100 easy

5000 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. 6 Days in a Row - 8/17/2015

by , August 18th, 2015 at 10:32 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    No wonder I'm a little tired. I was thinking that I swam about 19,000 in 4 days (4600 on Friday, 5000 on Saturday, 5600 on Sunday, and 4100 Monday) but then when I went to log it in, I noticed I also had swum on Thursday (3000) and for a short while on Wednesday (got rained out at 1250).
    It was my birthday this weekend, and I did my usual 100 for every year. I think I'm going to have to get younger or start doing 50's or 75s per year soon. 5600 solo was ruff - but the water was cool, and the sky was beautiful. Same on Saturday, but not AS cool, and I wasn't swimming solo, so it went by much faster.
    Anyway, for the birthday swim I just did
    600 warm-up
    500, then 5 x 100 -- each various ways, including 5 x 100 IM's, and 10 x 50 fly/free - until I reached 5600 - or maybe 6100, I kinda lost track of my 500's after a while.
    Worked a very long day yesterday with my day job & moonlighting in the ER, so didn't get home until 11:30pm. Felt wonderful to sleep in this morning.

Updated September 6th, 2015 at 04:20 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast