View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Swimmin' with the old lunch bunch again

by , March 3rd, 2011 at 01:33 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Swam at Trousdale at lunch today, saw all my old friends. Kiff called workout.

Today was FUN!! I especially liked the IM set - in fact, I plan on incorporating it on my own some, only I'll do it 6 times through.
    20 x 50 warm up 5 swim, 5 kick, 5 free, 5 off stroke
    3 times through, IM order on the :50:
    50 stroke
    50 stroke/free
    50 stroke
    50 free

10 x 50 alt kick & free on :50
    8 x 50, 3 on :35, one on 1:00
    50 ez

Total: 2450

Not bad for lunch time & a lot of it was quality, even if we didn't get in a lot of yardage.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Struggling with the LCM thing

by , March 2nd, 2011 at 08:23 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    600 warm up (200 free, 50 back/50 breast repeat)
    400 pull no paddles
    5 x 100 kick on 2:00
    100 easy breast
    6 x 200 on 3:30
    6 x 100 on 1:40
    6 x 50 on 1:00

Felt very slow today & my left elbow & forearm were kinda tender. Still not used to LCM.
    Still behind on my GTD, and it's gonna stay that way for a while, I guess.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Sadness, so behind on my GTD!

by , February 27th, 2011 at 10:24 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    This week started out so promising!! I was on my third day in the water in a row! Kinda worried that my arms might not hold out for day 6, but excited to be back at it, when blam! Out of nowhere, I get hit with a nasty vomiting virus!! 1:45 in the morning Thursday morning I was rewriting my plans for the week. Friday morning I realized I was now back to my usual "pace" for GTD and that I wasn't going to be back in the water until Saturday at the earliest. Saturday, I was determined, I was going to get in 5000, no matter how ugly it was, just to get the darn distance in! Then I actually dove in the pool, and in about 25 yards realized I should've stayed home because I still felt pretty puny. I limped through 1500 and then tucked my tail between my legs and went back home to bed. Took off today too - can't believe I get sick the week I get a new grandbaby! Can't go visit the baby and breathe nasty germs on her! Her might get sick too! And then her mommy might get really pissed off & not let me come back for a while! Poo.
    On the positive side - feeling much more myself today. Got in lots of baby time - now have lots of baby clothes in the dryer & my swim gear in the car for AM practice. Maybe this week I'll get a bit closer to that darn GTD pace clock!

Updated February 27th, 2011 at 10:25 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby Elenna.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	6582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby Elenna & Ben.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	6583  
  4. Tired arms today

by , February 23rd, 2011 at 08:35 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    Boy are my arms tired. I'm not used to putting in all this yardage - and three days in a row. I think it's the transition to LCM that's really making it hard on the shoulders. Had to use fins on the last bit of the workout & almost wimped out & didn't finish it!!

400 free
    2 x 200 kick
    100 EZ
    4 x 150 IM no free
    100 EZ pull no paddles
    10 x 200, first 4 w/ pullbouy, no paddles, next 4 swim, last two with zoomers.
    400 EZ alternating breast, back & free

Total: 4000

Found out yesterday at work that we aren't going to Nigeria until probably May, due to the political climate - so I'm going to get online & enter the Atlanta meet before I lose my nerve!! Maybe I'll even meet some of the people I visit with on the Forum! If I have the courage to actually talk to people.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Lucky to get in extra distance at lunch today

by , February 22nd, 2011 at 10:34 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    I was lucky! Jeni had her baby ~ 9am & they sent grandma (that's me) home at 10:45 - so I went to the pool instead! I don't usually get to the pool until about 11:30 on a good day because of work, so this was a treat. Sat in the sun for 10 minutes & then did workout.

8 x 75 on 1:15, 50 free, 25 other
    6 x 100 on 1:30, last 25 off stroke
    4 x 150 IM twitch on 2:15
    2 x 200 free on 2:30 (ha ha, Grandma was tired & needed a nap by then!)
    400, descend by 100's

150 EZ

200 free on 2:45
    2 x 150, 50 kick, 50 free, 50 kick
    3 x 100 IM's on the 1:35 (someone was playing Drill Sargeant!!)
    4 x 50 kick on the :55

150 Breast/free thingy

Total: 3900
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Another Good Morning!!

by , February 21st, 2011 at 08:51 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    4 x 300, 200 free, 50 back/50 breast
    4 x 200, 50 kick/50 swim
    4 x 150 IM (first two were IM twitch)
    4 x 100
    4 x 50
    4 x 50
    100 breast

Total: 3600

This was rather grueling - despite the fact that I didn't really use intervals - I'm just not prepared to do long course yet. I am committed to going MWF for the next several weeks to get used to it though, and then in about 2-3 weeks, I will start working on going on what I think would be an acceptable interval & charting it.

I am very happy to say that I woke again with no spasms in my elbow, second day in a row. I'm almost too excited to know whether or not to trust it - having been in such pain for so long, and now to have it dissipate is almost surreal. But I'm not complaining! Rather I'm rejoicing! I'm still going to be very cautious about adding in the paddles tho - but I am excited to see that I might be able to get the evil FLOG monster off my back in a couple of weeks! I know that I need to average about 4200 yards four times a week to get in 500 yards - and I am waaay behind - but I refuse to alter my goal. I'm planning on doing that 10 mile swim in Chatanooga in September anyways, so I'll need to pick up the distance to get in shape for that, PLUS I think there are a couple of three & five K ocean swims coming up in the Spring & Summer that I might be able to fit into my schedule. Gotta make time for Nigeria & my nephew Nathan's wedding, but hopefully I'll be able to get back on the GTD pace soon now.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Ta Da!!

by , February 20th, 2011 at 07:23 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    Woke up this morning realizing that I didn't wake up in the night with pain in my elbows/forearms. Not even once.
    No that deserves more

Hoo Ra! I'm Baaack!

Still, skipping the swimming this morning - Kyle is back from his mission & he is giving his report to the High Council at 8am (in less than an hour) and I shall try and be a good girl for him today.
    Besides, I think that I will be swimming M-Sat this week, and it's good to have a day of rest in there!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Healing at Last

by , February 19th, 2011 at 04:57 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Haven't had the energy or inclination to post in here recently. Sometimes I think I am bipolar, the way my mood shifts so dramatically, but I know it really is quite honestly based upon my day at work. If I get my theoretical lunch hour & get to swim on Tuesday's and Thursday's as promised, I am more positive, if not, then I am a grump for several days afterward.

Today I feel very much like an old lady. My botox is wearing off, my endurance is questionable at best, and my enthusiasm for sports outside of the pool is seriously waning. We have the most beautiful day ever today, and here I am, inside, on the computer. I need a kick in the pants. Still waiting on when we're going to Nigeria, so I don't know if I can enter the Atlanta meet or not, and I already had to scratch the Auburn meet due to my stupid elbows. Wes is going to NCAA Nat's next month, and I can't go watch cause I just haven't got the guts to ask for time off, since I haven't been with the clinic for even a year yet. I am very proud of him, and how well he's done, despite having to switch coaches midway into the season. I think he will have a banner year once we see his final times next month. There I go, living vicariously through my children again!! So anyways, I've been swimming T & Th at lunch, getting in about 2500 each day, which is totally inadequate for my GTD goals, but the good news is that my elbows seem to be healing. So, anyone out there who has golfer's or tennis elbow - I have found the cure, I think!! After 15-16 months of pain, so much so that I honestly despaired that perhaps I just wasn't ever going to get well, I have managed to self treat. Three cortisone shots, several pills and lots of physical therapy later - not to mention the Kinesio Tape - and I find that taking 500mg Magnesium every night before bed, and using BioFreeze faithfully after every workout - and I am getting better. So much so that I didn't put on the Kinesio Tape today after practice -- so much so that I am actually getting excited about pushing it again - without fear of reprisal from my elbows!! Thank heavens there is a God, and He must have had some pity on me, because I'm finally on the road to recovery from this blasted injury!!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Horrible contemplations!

by , January 19th, 2011 at 08:15 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    Todays workout:
    500 warmup (100 free, 25 back/25 breast repeat)
    6 x 200 pull on 3:30 (yes I got 25 seconds rest! Rest is good)
    7 x 150 alt free & IM no free (w/mini-fins from here on out thanks to my elbows!)
    9 x 50 kick on 1:05
    8 x 100 free on 1:40 (yes, I got 10-15 seconds rest! So what!)
    200 EZ 50 breast/50 free

Total: 4200 LCM

Now for the contemplations: My elbows. It's only been 15 months since I hurt them, and they may even be getting worse, I can't tell. So after 2 cortisone shots to each, and lots of celebrex and icy hot, I think I am going to have to seriously consider taking time off. As in not swimming. Not even a little. Seriously, how hard can it be to stay out of the water for 3-4 weeks? I just dread how fat I'm going to become & how slow I will be when I get back in the water. David is totally behind me on this, and Jennifer is too, even though that means scrapping the Auburn meet. But there is always the meet in March that I could enter, if I am up to it. I think I am going to restrict myself to kicking (obviously w/out a board), and riding my bike. Plus, now is definitely a good time to go on a serious diet, as I won't need all the calories to support me. I'll have to diet anyways or I'll balloon up! Anyways, I'm just considering it, I could change my mind tomorrow. Just sayin'. My elbows could probably use the rest.

Updated January 19th, 2011 at 12:52 PM by Celestial

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Random Thoughts

by , January 12th, 2011 at 08:53 PM (Workout Swimmer)
    Swam today under the bubble at Meyers, which was lovely since it was below 30 outside. Things were going "swimmingly" until I had the foolish notion of putting hand paddles on for my pull set. What was I thinking? Shortly into the 6 100's I realized that I was going to hurt, but by then it was too late, and I had to prove (to who?) that I could finish & not wimp out! That blew the rest of the workout & I hurt most of the morning. Put some BioFreeze on it at lunch, and the old elbows are feeling a bit better now.
    Just some random thoughts:
    Only idiots and swim coaches go to the pool at 5:30 am when it's not even 30 degrees outside.
    The biggest idiots are the ones who go to the pool, in the dark, at 5:30am, when it's only 30 degrees outside & they walk to the outside pool with nothing but a wet swimsuit on!!
    Sleeping in definitely has it's merits - especially at the end of the day.
    Grapefruit juice is better going down than coming back up.
    Not all of the morons in the city are to be found visiting my office. Some of them are in the pool with me. Some of them are pharmacists too, but I shall leave that for another day.
    It's always best to make sure you have underwear in the pool bag before you drive across the city & jump in the pool at 5:30am.
    Reverse circle swimming is not for the feeble minded. Accidents can and do happen, at a variety of speeds.
    And less any of my fellow swimmers forget, the older the suit, the more likely you are to tear the bottom out sitting on the deck. . .with everyone else noticing except yourself!

~Me~
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324