View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Some more core

by , July 3rd, 2012 at 10:31 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Yesterday, hit the weight room for some core work. First did a 30 minute spin class (I was late.). Then, did the following workout:

2 sets of 10 push-ups with bosu ball

4 sets of 25 sit-ups on incline with 12 lb. medicine ball

2 sets of 20 leg/knee lifts

100 bicycle crunches

Today, meant to have an active rest day, but got in a very small workout while encouraging kids on son's cross country team. It was 100 degrees when practice started. Got in 1/2 mile walk/jog to warm-up and then did 3 x 400 jogs with them, trying to encourage those who were struggling on the second half of a 6 x 400 set. Then did a 1/2 mile cool-down. Despite the heat, everybody was in good spirits after the practice.

Tomorrow, hope to slide into the club pool for a 2,000 meter workout before it opens up for 4th of July activities. Each year our pool has a greased watermelon water polo match on the 4th. Lots of good pizes for team that wins. Always all-men and a real macho kind of contest. About 7 years ago, I snuck in on the contest and those guys didn't know what to do. Rednecks have honor when it comes to women, so I was able to get away with much more than any of them ever could.

If I think about it, I will post a pic tomorrow of the brawl.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Summer Training

by , July 1st, 2012 at 10:20 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Summer training is fun but can be a challenge. Vacation and changes in pool schedule can make it hard to stay on a schedule. The last two weeks have been busy, busy, but got in a few runs, swims, and lifts.

I have gotten started on my high reps/low weights program. Wow! What a whole different workout! It plain old wears me out, but that is a good thing. My weight-lifting guru contact said that 3 sets of 15 was plenty. I had planned to do 5, but he said that many sets was overkill. Today, did the following workout:

Warm-up: 8 minutes on the gauntlet

Bench press: bar x 10, 3 sets of 65 x 15

Lat hi row: 3 sets of 90 x 15

Overhead press w/dumbells: 3 sets of 20 x 15

Lat pull-down: 3 sets of 100 x 15

Leg press: 3 sets of 150 x 15

Leg curl: 3 sets of 20 x 15

Leg/knee lifts: 3 sets of 20

Calf raises: 3 sets of 70 x 15

Cardio workout: spin bike bike for 15 minutes, brisk walk (4.0 mph) for 15 minutes, 10 minutes on gauntlet
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Early weekend workouts

by , June 17th, 2012 at 02:04 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Got my run in on Friday evening. Did 3 miles straight running at a 9:16 per mile pace. Followed run with a 15 minute walk.

Saturday morning, got up early and did a swim at the club pool before it opened. Workout was as follows:

300 free
    200 dolphin kick with board

300 back
    200 breast kick with board

300 free
    200 dolphin kick with board

3 x 100 fly - 3 rt/3 lt/3 full
    200 breast kick with board

2000 SCM
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Quick Weights Workout

by , June 11th, 2012 at 08:58 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Not much time yesterday, but got in an upper body workout:

Warm-up: 5 minutes on treadmill

Bench: bar x 10, 3 sets of 105 x 3

Hi row: 90 x 10, 3 sets of 120 x 5

Military press w/dumbells: 2 sets of 15 x 10

Lat pull-down with cable: 2 sets of 85 x 10

Hammer curls: 2 sets of 15 x 10

Leg/knee lifts: 2 sets of 20

Followed with 1.5 mile walk

Today did another brisk 1.5 walk. Hoping to swim and bike tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Kind of excited

by , June 3rd, 2012 at 08:56 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    More swimming to come. I promise. Have been out of town the last few days taking a personal trainer certification course. I'll know in a couple of months if I passed. Kind of excited to start training people as working out is my passion. I have lots to learn because I am pretty old school on my weight room stuff. Learned a bunch of things with the stability ball - something I have used before but rarely use now. Also, learned a bunch of new exercises to work the core.

Also, I am excited about a plan for my training that a personal trainer came up with. This guy is a guru - has a special ops background and has trained others for the same. Anyway, I have finally come up ith a plan where I can try to lose a few pounds, drop the body fat, yet still stay strong.

First, I've been told I will have to train in the morning to get my metabolism going. Not wild about this as I am not a morning person but it can't hurt, especially since I have hypothyroidism and take my meds in the morning. I wake up with a slow metabolism until the synthroid can get in my blood, so working out in the morning is probably not a bad thing.

Second, I am to follow my resistance workout with 30 minutes of cardio. So I will lift weights first and follow it with a 30 minute workout on the treadmill. Of course, I will warm-up 10 minutes before lifting weights. I am going to treat my swim workous like a resistance workout because I train for power and speed, using fins a good bit. I will follow each swim workout with a 30 minute spin on the bike.

I plan to try this for one month and see how it goes. Before starting my plan last week, I got 2 miles of easy running in on Wednesday, May 30. I officially started my plan on June 1 and did as follows:

10 minute warm-up on gauntlet

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 5, 2 sets of 95 x 6

Lat hi row: 90 x 5, 2 sets of 110 x 6

Hammer curls: 2 sets of 12 x 10

Squats: bar x 5, 2 sets of 95 x 8

Seated calf-raise machine: 2 sets of 70 x 8

Captain's chair: 2 sets of 20 bent knee/straight leg raises

30 minute workout on treadmill: 1 mile alternating 2 min walk at 3.5 mph with 1 min run at 7.0 mph, 1 mile alternating 1 min walk at 3.5 mph with 1 min run at 8.0 to 9.0 mph, 5 min. cool-down walk.

Last night, feeling inspired, I did a treadmill workout at the hotel: 5 minute walk, 2 miles alternating 2 minute walk at 3.5 mph with 1 minute run at 8.0 moh, 5 minute walk.

Did lots of exercises at the personal training seminar today, so think I will call it a day.

Looks like tomorrow will be another weights/run day as the weather is supposed to be crappy. Tuesday looks like a good swim/bike day.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Run, bike, and an eagle

by , May 29th, 2012 at 07:30 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Two mile trail run this morning with my dog. Surprisingly, the heat did not bother me too much. Still thinking about the squats and running thing. I might pick up the running but continue the squats but at a very low weight. I like the exercise for simple functional strength.

This afternoon, I rode my bike in my neighborhood which happens to be very rural. I call it my workout mecca because it is the perfect place to bike and run. Little traffic and not too many dogs. As I was biking down one road, I saw an EAGLE, a real live one, sitting in my neighbor's front yard. It was huge! At first I thought it was a statue, but then I saw it moving and realized it was the real thing. It must have two feet tall.

Anyway, I rode 10 miles, averaging 17.2 mph. My heart rate for the ride averaged 159.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. The Swimming Continues

by , May 29th, 2012 at 12:36 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Swimming in an outdoor pool has lured me back into swimming more often. How wonderful it is to breathe fresh air! This morning I did the following workout:

300 easy swim

300 pull with buoy and paddles

300 dolphin kick with board

300: 150 dolphin on back w/fins, 150 dolphin on side with fins

4 x 25 underwaters

2 x 200 back with paddles

4 x 50 - 3 rt/3 lt/3 full fly

100 easy

2000 SCM

Yesterday, ran 2 miles in the morning and did the following weight workout:

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 5, 3 sets of 95 x 5

Lat hi row: 90 x 5, 3 sets of 110 x 5

Squats: bar x 5, 95 x 10

Leg lifts in captain's chair: 2 sets of 20

Trying to decide if I should pick up more running and punt the squats or keep the squats and do just a little bit of running. I want to be strong, but I am carrying just a little bit more weight than I would like right now. Nothing works better to drop weight and body fat than running. Running more than 2 or 3 miles at a time though does not go well with squats, at least not with me. I may need to work up to doing some runs of 6 miles if I hope to see any drop in the weight. I might punt squats except for just doing the bar until the end of the summer and do some running right now.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. A Festive Week

by , May 26th, 2012 at 11:53 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Socially, this week has been quite wonderful. Friends visiting town and friends on a break from work have put together all kinds of gatherings that have kept me outside getting lots of sun. Have had a couple of celebrations this week for my birthday. What a great week it has been. Even got in my 3 cardio workouts for the week - 2 swims and a Zumba workout (my first). Also got in one weight-lifting workout. Am continuing to walk at least 1.3 miles each day.

Really enjoy the Zumba workout and think I will make it a regular thing on Wednesday mornings. The walking also is quite enjoyable.

On weights, I have resumed heavy lifting again. The workout was as follows:

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 5, 3 sets of 90 x 5

Lat hi row: 90 x 5, 3 sets of 110 x 5

Hammer curls: 3 sets of 12 x 10

Squats: bar x 10, 2 sets of 95 x 10

Captain's chair leg lifts: 2 sets of 10

Today the outdoor pool opened and I got there just when the pool opened for the day. Got in 2200 SCM as follows:

200 kick on side with fins

200 dolphin kick on back

4 x 50 : 25 back/25 free

4 x 50 with fins: 25 rt/25 lt fly

4 x 50: 3 rt/3 lt/3 full fly

200 dolphin kick

4 x 50 3 rt/3 lt/3 full fly

4 x 50 free with fins

200 kick on side with fins

4 x 50: 25 AFAP fly with fins/25 easy

200 easy

Followed my swim with a strawberry daiquari from the poolside bar.

Plan to hit the pool again tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Deload Week

by , May 19th, 2012 at 01:52 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Boy, did I ever take it easy this week. Guess my muscles love me, but I wonder if I will ever get back into swimming shape. Didn't get a chance to get to the pool this week, but haven't given up on my mission to get back in shape.

Got two sessions in as follows:

1 mile walk to warm up.

3 rounds of the following:
    10 push-ups
    10 pull-ups
    20 leg lifts in captain's chair (actually when I do this I alternate a bent leg lift -knee lift- with a straight-leg leg lift)

Walked at least 1.3 miles each day.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. On a Deload Week

by , May 15th, 2012 at 02:12 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Still trying to get back into the habit of blogging. Didn't get to it last week. Whoops! Got in two days of weights, one day of swim, and took a walk of least 1.5 miles each day. The swim was on Wednesday and is as follows:

Warm-up: 200 swim, 100k, 200 pull

2 x 300 - alternate 25 heads up/75 swim - 1 minute rest between swims

8 x 50 with fins - 25 kick/25 swim on 1:15

6 x 50 with fins - 25 uw/25 swim on 1:20

200 easy

2000 yards

Thursday, did last heavy workout to conclude three weeks of heavy lifting.

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 5, 3 sets of 100 x 5

Lat pull-down: 90 x 5, 110 x 5, 3 sets of 140 x 5

Squats: bar x 10, 65 x 20

Hammer curls: 2 sets of 12 x 15

Leg lifts in Captains chair: 2 sets of 20

Today, started my deload week. Letting the muscles, tendons, and joints rest after three weeks of heavy lifting.

1.5 mile walk, 1 mile: 2 min run fast/1 min walk

3 rounds of the following:

10 push-ups with bosu ball
    10 pull-ups on pull-up assist machine
    20 leg lifts in captain's chair

Walked another 1.5 miles this evening.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Weights and Walking

by , May 8th, 2012 at 12:59 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Saturday, May 5
    Hit the weights.

5 minute warm-up on gauntlet
    Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 5 2 sets of 95 x 8
    Lat pulldown: 110 x 5, 2 sets of 130 x 8

Overhead press with dumbbells; 2 sets of 12 x 10

Squats: 3 sets of 65 x 15

Hip adduction: 2 sets of 130 x 8

Hip abduction: 2 sets of 130 x 8

Seat toe raises: 2 sets of 70 x 8

Captain's Chair Leg Lifts: 3 sets of 20

Wanted to run later that day, but legs were tired. I guess from squats. I don't thing running and squats go too well together anyway. Legs were sore for a few days, so I have been doing walks each day. On Saturday, Sunday, and MOnday, walked 1.5 miles at a pretty brisk pace. I have a hard time considering walking as real exercise, but I guess it counts for something.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Friday Fin Swim

by , May 4th, 2012 at 09:49 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Kind of like the idea of swimming with fins while I am working on my upper body strength. Will take the load off my shoulders. Hit the pool around 1 today and did the following workout:

200 easy

All below is with fins:

4 x 50: 25 swim/25 kick on 1:05

4 x 50: 12.5 uw/12.5 kick/12.5 uw/12.5 swim on 1:00

4 x 50 on 1:05 - odds are 25 uw/25 swim; evens are 25 uw/25 choice

3 x 150: 50 kick (10 sec rest)/100 swim on 30 seconds rest

2 x 150: alternate 25 kick/25 swim

200 warm-down
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Swimming Heaven

by , May 4th, 2012 at 10:30 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Back in the pool for a good workout on Wednesday, May 2. Have to say I fell in love with swimming again. Swam outdoors in a long course pool with perfect weather. Also had my new fins on for the entire workout. The water sliding over me felt wonderful. I felt so much peace shutting out the rest of the world as I swam back and forth. It all reminded me of why I got so into swimming so long ago.

I can't remember the entire workout as it has been a couple of days, but did a total of 2100 yards. My favorite set was a series of 6 x 50 on 1:00 where we did 25 kick/25 swim.

Haven't posted since last week, so will just give a brief overview of what I have done and then will post the weights workout I did last night.

Thursday, April 26
    Ran 3 miles. Threw a little bit of walking in there.

Friday, April 27
    Weights. Included 3 sets of 5 x 95 on bench press. Was told I should move up to 100 next time I lifted.

Saturday, April 28
    Two mile run.

Tuesday, May 1
    Two mile walk

Wednesday, May 2
    Two mile run
    2100 meter swim

Thursday, May 3
    Weights

Warm-up: 5 min. run/walk on treadmill

Bench press: bar x 5, 65 x 5, 3 sets of 100 x 5 (well actually got a little bit of help on number 5 rep of last two sets). Will hang out at this weight for a while.

Lat hi row: 90 x 5, 110 x 5, 3 sets of 140 x 5

Squats: 1 set of 65 x 20

Seated calf-raise machine ( I have called this ankle extension machine in the past.): 2 sets of 90 x 8

Captains chair: 3 sets of 20 leg raises
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Social workout

by , April 25th, 2012 at 12:30 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Yes, I do spend more time talking in the weight room than I do actually lifting weights.

I think I might have run an elderly lady off today when I was telling a friend about my take-home exam in history. I could not help but chuckle when I talked about southerners fears over communism and hippies during the civil rights period. I guess she didn't think it too funny for me to be so casual about it. I suppose if some current protest march in the United States was linked to al-Qaeda, we would all be quite concerned.

In any case, after taking to my friend and giving a gag gift to another (a wooden sign I found at a thrift store that said, "I stopped running because my thighs rubbed together so much, my underwear caught on fire."), I got started on my routine.

5 minute on gauntlet.

Bench press: bar x 10, 65 x 8, 80 x 6, 95 x 4

Lat hi row: 90 x 10, 110 x 8, 120 x 6, 130 x 4

Leg press: 130 x 10, 140 x 8, 160 x 6, 180 x 4

Hip adduction: 2 sets of 130 x 10

Hip abduction: 2 sets of 110 x 10

Ankle flexion machine: 2 sets of 70 x 10

Captain's Chair Leg Lifts: 3 sets of 20

This afternoon, went for a 2 mile run.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Hopeful!

by , April 18th, 2012 at 11:19 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Well, I was quite shocked that I was not sore on Tuesday after the extensive weight workout that I did. I'm not going to get too excited about it though because the last thing that needs to happen is for me to be overconfident on my weights. Too easy to get hurt! I guess I didn't get sore because I am so well-rested after my two year taper.

In any case, hit the weight room again today and did the following workout:

5 minute warm-up on gauntlet

Bench press: bar x 10, 70 x 6, 90 x 4, 100 x 2

Lat hi row: 90 x 10, 100 x 6, 110 x 4, 120 x 2

Squats: Bar x 20

3 sets of leg lifts in Captain's Chair

I am somewhat hopeful that I will not have lost too much in the pool. I haven't totally been out of the pool, having done some workouts over the last couple of years. I just haven't done a meet in two years. Meet shape is quite another story. Guess I'll have to enter some this fall to see if I have any hope of getting back to a competitive level.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Countdown to 2013 SCY Nationals

by , April 16th, 2012 at 07:30 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Nope. No typo in the title. I really mean 2013. Got in good shape for 2010 SCY Nationals and thought I would take a 6 month break from any kind of consistent training. Six months turned into nearly two years. I wasn't too bad of a couch potato during this time. I bowled, hiked, rode my bike at moderate paces, and jogged with my dog. During the last two years, I have done some extensive remodeling on the house and have been working on my masters degree in history. I will be graduating in December provided I pass my oral comprehensive exams.

In any case, when I saw that SCY Nats was going to be held in Indianapolis next year, I decided I'd better start getting back in shape. I really like the pool at Indy and miss seeing my friends. I'd like to go and make a decent showing which for me means maybe getting lucky and getting a tenth place finish.

I'm going to try something which some might consider to be somewhat unorthodox.
    I am going to focus on weightlifting before I get back into heavy swimming. In fact, for the first few weeks back, I am going to just use my swimming as a cool-down from my weights. While I am building my strength this summer and early fall, I'll probably stick to drills, easy swimming, and maybe a few sprints at the end. Only after I have built up my strength, will I ease down on the weights and focus more on swimming. My strategy is to build strength and minimize the chance of injury. Also, I hate getting back in the pool and doing regular workouts before I have started doing weights. I always feel pathetically weak!

I'll probably do a little bit of cross-training, but will keep it to a minimum. I'm more interested in getting strong and swimming well.

Anyway, here is the workout I did today:

Warm-up: 5 minutes on the gauntlet

Bench press: bar x 10, 65 x 8, 85 x 6, 65 x 8, bar x 10

Lat hi row: 90 x 10, 100 x 8, 110 x 6, 100 x 8, 90 x 10

Hammer curls: 3 sets of 12 x 10

Leg Press: 130 x 10, 150 x 8, 170 x 6, 150 x 8, 130 x 10

Hip adduction: 110 x 10, 120 x 8, 130 x 6, 120 x 8, 110 x 10

Hip abduction: 110 x 10, 115 x 8, 120 x 6, 115 x 8, 110 x 10

Seated ankle-flexion machine: 3 sets of 45 x 10

Captains chair: 3 sets of 20

1.25 mile walk with 4 x 100 yard sprints
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Run in the park

by , December 11th, 2011 at 04:35 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Had a great run in the park on Saturday morning with my Jack Russell Terrier. Meant to wear the heart rate monitor I just bought to get an idea of my average HR, but forgot it. Ran 5 miles in 46:52, so about a 9:22 per mile pace. Temp was in the mid-40s. Perfect for running. It is so much easier for me to run in temps under 60. Glad I had my mace with me as there were a few odd people wandering about in the park. Not sure I want to run there by myself again.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Onward!

by , December 8th, 2011 at 04:43 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Back to posting. I've been so busy, I have gotten out of the habit of posting my workouts. Still not going as hard as I did two years ago, but intent on staying in decent shape.

Tuesday
    Hit the pool for a quick workout. Air and water temp were perfect.

200 warm-up
    5 x 100 dolphin kick on 2:00 - held 1:28 to 1:33
    6 x 50 back with paddles on 1:00
    4 x 50 breast kick on 1:00
    1 x 300 kick on side with fins
    6 x 50 - 3 rt/3lt/3 full strokes fly on 1:15
    4 x 25 AFAP fly with fins on :45
    100 easy

2000 SCY

Wednesday
    4 mile run on treadmill - averaged 10 minutes per mile.

Bench press - bar x 10, 65 x 8, 85 x 6, 95 x 4

Lat pull-down - 90 x 10, 110 x 8, 130 x 6, 150 x 4

Hammer curls - 2 sets of 12 x 10

Captain's Chair leg lifts - 2 sets of 25

Plan for right now is to just do weights on upper body. When I do squats or leg presses, my quads do get bigger. I'm trying to avoid having to buy new pants, so think I'll stick with running to work my legs right now.

No plans to enter any competitions in the near future, but want to be in good enough shape so that if I see one I want to do, I can get in meet shape quickly.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Still around!

by , October 19th, 2011 at 09:19 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    I know I am not blogging much these days, but I am still working out -unlike a year ago!

Allergies have been kicked up bad! I am told that this is supposed to be the worst allergy season here yet because of the tornado we had back in the spring. Don't get the tornado connection, but it has been undeniably bad here insofar as allergies are concerned. I am the allergy queen, so when I see what appear to be normal people having trouble, I know things are bad.

My left eye got so swollen up, my eye doctor ended up having to call in a steroid eye drop after basic antihistamine drops weren't doing the job. I had to stay out of the water most of last week to let the drops do their work. I had something like this come up 21 years ago and put off getting it treated. I ended up getting a corneal ulcer, so I wasn't going to put it off this time. Anyway, eye is much better and I was able to get back in the water yesterday. In the meantime, I have been doing some light running.

Thursday - Ran 3 miles at a 10 minute per mile pace. My dog doesn't like running this slow and looks back at me to see what my problem is.

Friday - Hit the old dreadmill and ran 2 miles. With each mile I would try to get faster with each 1/4 mile. I would start off with a 10 minute mile and work my way down to a 8:00 mile for the last 1/4.

Sunday - Ran 2 miles at a 9:30 per mile pace.

Tuesday - Finally hit the pool again! Did 4 x 500 on 7:30 as follows:

1st 500 - kick with fins, alternating 100 free kick with 100 back kick

2nd 500 - swim

3rd 500 - kick with fins, alternating 100 dolphin kick on back with 100 back kick

4th 500 - swim with paddles

100 easy

2100 SCY

Wednesday - Fun at the track! Ran with dog at track - she is great at staying in the appropriate lane.

Warmed up 1/2 mile then did 4 x 1200 -

First 1200 - still warming up, so ran around 6:15

Next 3 1200s - kept between 5:40 and 5:58.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Still here!

by , October 11th, 2011 at 10:48 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Haven't blogged in a couple of weeks, but I'm still here! The week of September 25, I got real busy and was only able to get in one run and one swim. The week of October 2, I got in two run workouts and a swim workout, but was hit with a stomach bug towards the end of the week. The stomach thing really zapped me, so when I went to the Y today, I really took it easy.

Felt refreshed after the workout and thankfully did not feel like I had been hit by a truck. Hopefully, I can stay on track now and stay healthy. The Auburn meet is just 4 months away!

200 warm-up

200 breast kick

200 dolphin kick on back

4 x 50 free with paddles and buoy on :50

4 x 50 back with paddles on 1:00

100 easy

1100 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast