View RSS Feed

Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

1. Time to Deload

by , June 15th, 2012 at 05:52 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Finished up three weeks of heavy lifting and will now take one week of active rest on the weights to deload. On my next round of weight-lifting, I am going to be doing higher reps and lower reps. I need to debulk a little bit without losing too much strength. I've been on my program for two weeks and have had some modest results but really would like to see a five to eight pound drop. Whether it is muscle weight or fat, I have an ideal weight I race well at and I would really like to get down to that weight.

Upon checking, I have had a 1-2% drop in body fat since starting a couple of weeks ago, but no weight loss. I guess that it is the better way to aim for losing weight - make my body become a better calorie burning machine. Still, I do need to drop pounds and lifting heavy weight probably is not going to make it happen too quickly, so after next week, I think I will go to doing 5 sets of 15. I know it seems like a bunch of volume, but it has worked well before. Also plan to go from 30 minutes on my cardio to 45 minutes.

Yesterday, I actually went up on time on my cardio. Did a 50 minute moderate ride on my road bike averaging just 16.2 nph.

Today, hit the weight heavy for the last time before going into deload. Here is what I did:

Warm-up: 8 minutes on gauntlet, stretching

Bench: bar x 5, 3 sets of 105 x 4

Hi row: 90 x 5, 3 sets of 110 x 8

Military press w/dumbbells: 3 sets of 40 x 8

Lat pull-down with cable: 3 sets of 100 x 6

Hammer curls: 2 sets of 15 x 10

Triceps press: 2 sets of 40 x 10

Squats: bar x 5, 95 x 20

Captain's chair leg raises: 2 sets of 20

Calf raises: 2 sets of 80 x 10

Twist crunches: 2 sets of 25

Cruches with 12 lb med ball: 1 set of 25

Knee raises on bench: 2 sets of 25

Hoping to take a short run in a little bit.
  2. Friday's Workout

by , June 10th, 2012 at 06:12 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the weights and did the following:

8 minute warm-up: 4 min. on treadmill, 4 min on rowing machine

Bench press: bar x 10, 70 x 6, 90 x 4, 105 x 2

Hi row: 90 x 5, 3 sets of 110 x 8

Military press: 2 sets of 30 x 10 (used barbells)

Lat pull-down (machine): 90 x 5, 2 sets of 120 x 8

Squats: bar x 10, 1 set of 65 x 20

Leg lifts: 2 sets of 20

Bicycle crunches: 1 set of 100

Prone Back Extension: 2 sets of 10

Followed workout with 30 minutes on gauntlet - Level 11 - Fat Burner.

Updated June 15th, 2012 at 05:59 PM by elise526

Categories
  3. A Date with the Gauntlet

by , June 5th, 2012 at 07:24 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    I am a day behind on blogging my workouts, so this is actually yesterday's workout. Still following my resistance workout/cardio plan. Hit the weights as follows:

10 minute warm-up on treadmill

Bench: bar x 5, 65 x 5, 2 sets of 95 x 8

Lat hi row: 90 x 5, 2 sets of 110 x 8

Military press: 30 x 5, 2 sets fo 50 x 8

Lat pulldown with cable: 3 sets of 85 x 8

Hammer curls: 2 sets of 12 x 10

Squats: bar x 10, 2 sets of 95 x 8

Captain's Chair knee/leg lifts: 2 sets of 20

Seated calf-raises: 2 sets of 70 x 8

Hit the gauntlet and did 30 minutes of the fat burner workout at level 10. I was pouring sweat by the time I was done. According to the machine, supposedly I burned 380 calories in 30 minutes, but who knows how much I really burned. Guess I should have worn my HR monitor.
  4. Weights

by , April 19th, 2009 at 11:24 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Since I took yesterday off, I took advantage of my rested condition today and hit the weight room.

Bench press: 95 x 4, 100 x 2, 110 x 1
    Lat pull-downs: 120 x 8, 140 x 6, 160 x 4
    Military press: 3 sets of 40 x 10
    Triceps press: 3 sets of 40 x 10
    Hammer curls: 3 sets of 20 x 10

Core work:
    50 of the following: crunches with Swiss ball, bicycle, good morning darlings

3 sets of 3 different toe raises

Thoughts:
    1. Took a look at the results from Y Nationals. My age-group and the 45-49 age-group are just amazing! So many fast women. I have a feeling that Atlanta in 2010 will be one of the fastest meets ever for the two age-groups! I do think that Dara's accomplishments in 2008 and this year have motivated the over 40 crowd to come out of the woodwork!

2. I have been lifting heavy for about 3 weeks now. No weight gain. In fact, I have lost another pound, yet seem to be getting stronger. It seems I am showing more definition but not getting bulkier.

3. After helping my son get ready for the duathlon, I really have my doubts now about wanting to do triathlons again. So many details and things to remember! Just helping him get ready really stressed me out! I like the idea of cross-training to help my swimming, specifically my sprint swimming. A relay on a tri might be a possibility and a 5k here and there.

Updated April 20th, 2009 at 05:44 PM by elise526

Categories
  5. Is strength in the weight room indicative of ..........

by , April 7th, 2009 at 07:03 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    O.k. I still haven't figured out if I am better suited for the sprints or endurance events. I wonder if strength in the weight room (or lack thereof) is indicative of the type of swimmer I am. I mean, aren't sprinters going to be naturally stronger in the weight room than distance swimmers? Isn't it unusual for distance swimmers (even middle distance swimmers) to have the power and strength of sprinters?

Given my age and that I'm female, I really have no idea if I am all that strong. I have nothing to compare myself to and can't seem to find studies or tests indicating what the average woman might lift or even what the average masters female swimmer my age might lift.

My inclination is to figure that I might be below average on what a female masters swimmer my age might lift and average for a woman. So, should this fact speak to what events I should concentrate on?

Below is the workout I did today. Still a little weak from last week, but at least I'm getting my strength back.

One mile run on treadmill

Bench press: 2 sets of 85 x 8
    Lat pull-downs: 100 x 10, 120 x 8, 140 x 6
    Military press: 10 x 35, 8 x 50, 6 x 65
    Hammer curls: 2 sets of 10 x 10

Core work:
    1 set of 50 crunches legs on Swiss ball
    1 set of 50 bicycle crunches

Ankle work:
    3 sets of toes to front toe raises, 3 sets of feet turned out toe raises, 3 sets of feet turned in toe raises

Updated April 8th, 2009 at 03:25 AM by elise526

Categories
  6. Recovering

by , April 4th, 2009 at 06:03 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    The bad cold I came down with on Wednesday really knocked me down for a few days. Didn't feel like working out until today. Went to the weight room and I could tell I was weak. I figured it was the best place to start in getting back to full-strength.

1 mile warm-up run on treadmill

Bench press: 45 x 10, 65 x 8, 85 x 6
    Lat pull-downs: 90 x 10, 110 x 8, 130 x 6
    Military press: 35 x 10, 45 x 8, 60 x 6
    Triceps pull-downs: 30 x 10, 40 x 8, 50 x 6
    Alternating hammer curls: 10 x 10 (3 sets)

Core work:

1 x 50 crunches with legs on Swiss ball
    1 x 50 bicycle crunches
    1 x 50 good morning darlings
    1 x 50 side crunches - 25 one each side
    2 x 25 sit-ups with 10 lb. medicine ball

Ran out of time, so had to skip my beloved toe raises.

Hope to get a run in tomorrow and return to the pool on Monday. Hope to know results on my toe by Tuesday.
  7. Run + Weights + Bike

by , March 28th, 2009 at 08:25 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Since I didn't work out yesterday, I had lots of energy today.

First, went to the track late A.M. and did 5.5 miles of running consisting of the following:

1 mile warm-up
    1 mile hard for 200, easy for 200
    1 mile jog the curves, sprint the straights
    1 mile moderate pace (son joined in)
    1 mile jog the curves, sprint the straights
    1/2 mile cool-down

Happy I was able to get in 19.2 miles of running this week.

After lunch, took son to the Y so he could play some basketball. I hit the weight room and did the following:

Bench press:
    45 x 8
    65 x 6
    85 x 4
    100 x 2
    105 x 1

Lat pull-downs:
    110 x 10
    130 x 8
    150 x 6

Military press:
    40 x 10
    55 x 8
    70 x 5 (got tired)

Tricep pulldowns:
    30 x 10
    40 x 8
    50 x 6

Alternating hammer curls: 15 pound dumbells (in each hand) x 10 (2 sets)

Core worK:

I was tired after the running so had to do 2 x 25 on some sets.

2 sets of 25 crunches with legs on Swiss ball
    1 set of 50 bicycles
    1 set of 50 scissors
    2 x 25 side crunches (1 set on each side)
    2 x 25 crunches with 10 lb. medicine ball
    2 x 15 back extensions
    3 x 20 leg lifts

Ankle-worK:

3 sets of each of the following toe-raises:

10 x toes pointed forward
    10 x feet turned out
    10 x feet turned in

Later this afternoon, took the mountain bike out for 1.5 hours. Really felt good on the legs. Kind of fun to ride some bumpy country roads and climb some steep hills. Except for climbing the hills, took it pretty easy and enjoyed the scenery.

Thoughts:

1. Since I am not swimming as much, I decided to get a little aggressive with the weights and go with heavier weights and fewer reps. Also, somebody pointed out to me that since I am not swimming as much, this be a good way to keep my "sprinter strength."

2. I've been thinking about the comment Chris S. made in response to Fort's blog about the core area being more of a slow-twitch area. This interests me because my core muscles seemed to easily tire today in the weight room after my run much quicker than my upper body. I do use my arms a good bit when I run, especially when I sprint. I suppose, however, that the argument can be made that I used my core more on the run than I used my arms.

3. Since I am swimming less these days, it will be interesting to see if my weight goes back up or stays steady with the focus on heavier upper body weights.

4. With the amount of running I've been doing, I still feel it is a good idea to skip the lower body weights.

Updated March 28th, 2009 at 10:49 PM by elise526

Categories
  8. Another Good Reason to Take Calcium Supplements

by , March 24th, 2009 at 10:23 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the local wildlife park for a 6 mile easy trail run. Great day to run with temps in the low 70s and a slight wind. Got it done in just under an hour. On my last mile, I was thinking that it would be really fun to do a social long run with Fort, quicksilver, geek, and Heather Rietz.

Later, hit the Y for some weights and dryland work.

Weights:

Lat pulldowns: 3 sets of 95 x 15
    Military press: 3 sets of 35 x 15
    Tricep pulldowns: 3 sets of 30 x 15
    Hammer curls: 3 sets of 10 x 15

Core work:

1 x 50 crunches - legs on Swiss ball
    1 x 50 bicycle crunches
    1 x 50 side crunches (25 each side)
    1 x 50 scissors
    1 x 50 sit-ups with medicine ball (10 lbs.)
    3 sets of 20 leg raises done in dip chair (alternate 1 straight leg raise with 1 bent knee raise; every other straight leg raise should have toes pointed forward while the other straight leg raise should have feet flexed upward)

3 sets of each of the following toe raises:

10 raises with toes straight forward
    10 raises with feet turned out
    10 raises with feet turned in

Headed to the store earlier this evening to buy some calcium supplements. Since I have upped my running mileage, I feel it important to be getting enough calcium, especially since I suffered a nasty stress facture in the femoral neck 9 years ago. The other day I came across the following studies I found to be rather interesting. Yes, I am on a quest to be a lean, mean, fighting machine and am pleased to know that taking calcium supplements might aid me in my quest!

Weight-Loss Tip: Add Extra Calcium to a Low-Fat Diet

By Jeanie Lerche Davis
    WebMD Health News

April 17, 2000 -- Got milk? New research suggests you should if you want to lose weight. The study shows that calcium -- three or four daily servings of low-fat dairy products -- can help adjust your body's fat-burning machinery.
    The key is low-fat dairy sources, says lead author Hang Shi, a postdoctoral student in the Nutrition Institute at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. "High-fat dietary calcium can establish obesity, but it's surprising that low-fat calcium may help reduce body fat," Shi tells WebMD. "The effect is very significant, much more than we imagined it would be."
    His paper on the effects of a high-calcium diet in increasing body fat loss was presented at the Experimental Biology 2000 meeting in San Diego.
    "The magnitude of the findings was shocking," says Michael Zemel, PhD, director of the Nutrition Institute, who is Shi's co-author and doctoral supervisor.
    In their past studies, Zemel and colleagues have shown that calcium stored in fat cells plays a crucial role in regulating how fat is stored and broken down by the body. It's thought that the more calcium there is in a fat cell, the more fat it will burn.
    The researchers used mice bred to be obese in their current study. The mice were fed a special high-fat, high-sugar diet for six weeks. All had a 27% increase in body fat.
    Some were then switched to a calorie-restricted diet. Of those, one group was given calcium supplements (calcium carbonate similar to Tums) and others were fed "medium" and "high" amounts of low-fat dry milk.
    Body fat storage was markedly reduced by all three high-calcium diets, say the authors.
    Those given calcium supplements had good results, when combined with the restricted-calorie diet. Mice getting their calcium via supplements had a 42% decrease in body fat, whereas mice eating without supplements had an 8% body fat loss.
    However, calcium from dairy products produced the best results. Mice on the "medium-dairy" diet had a 60% decrease in body fat, while those on the "high-dairy" diet lost 69% body fat. Researchers also found very small increases in thermogenesis -- the body's core temperature -- which then enhances the effects of calcium gained through diet rather than calcium in supplement form, says Zemel.
    "Calcium is no magic bullet. What the study says is that ... higher-calcium diets favor burning rather than storing fat. Calcium changes the efficiency of weight loss," Zemel tells WebMD.
    The human body's metabolism makes weight loss difficult, he explains. "Many people who stick to a calorie-reduced diet don't lose weight as fast as they think they should. That's because they activate metabolic protection ... Their bodies sense starvation and hang on to energy -- fat -- more voraciously."
    Too many dieters tend to immediately "jettison dairy foods from their diet, because they're just sure they're going to make them fat. In fact, they're shooting themselves in the foot, because they subject themselves to more empty-calorie sources. They would be better off if they would substitute high-fat dairy products with low-fat dairy," says Zemel.

Keeping in mind that the mouse study is preliminary, it is very well done and shows promise, Pamela Meyers, PhD, a clinical nutritionist and assistant professor at Kennesaw State University near Atlanta, tells WebMD. "But the calcium amounts the study suggests are effectively equal to what the USDA already recommends as a minimum for adults," she adds.

While nonfat dry milk was used in this study, few people buy that product, says Meyers. "Also, there are people who are lactose intolerant who can't consume dairy products. That's why we need to look at other food sources of calcium, [such as] ... dark leafy vegetables, salmon, mackerel, almonds, and oats. ... They also are very high in fiber, which helps in terms of weight management."
    If using calcium supplements, it's important to choose those with added vitamin D, zinc, and magnesium, which help the body to better absorb calcium, says Meyers.
    This study was supported in part by the National Dairy Council.
    Vital Information:

• According to a recent study in mice, a diet that includes low-fat dairy products can aid weight loss.
    • Researchers say this is because calcium stored in fat cells plays an important role in fat storage and breakdown.
    • Current recommendations encourage men to consume 1,000 mg to 1,200 mg of calcium per day and women to consume 1,000 mg to 1,300 mg daily.
    1: Nutr Res. 2008 Nov;28(11):783-90. Links

Dietary intervention with vitamin D, calcium, and whey protein reduced fat mass and increased lean mass in rats.

Siddiqui SM, Chang E, Li J, Burlage C, Zou M, Buhman KK, Koser S, Donkin SS, Teegarden D.
    Interdepartmental Nutrition Program, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA.
    The aim of the current study was to determine the effects and the mechanisms of inclusion of dietary whey protein, high calcium, and high vitamin D intake with either a high-sucrose or high-fat base diets on body composition of rodents. Male Wistar rats were assigned to either no whey protein, suboptimal calcium (0.25%), and vitamin D (400 IU/kg) diet (LD), or a diet containing whey protein, high calcium (1.5%), and vitamin D (10 000 IU/kg) diet (HD), and either high-fat (40% of energy) or high-sucrose (60%) base diets for 13 weeks. Liver tissue homogenates were used to determine [(14)C]glucose and [(14)C]palmitate oxidation. mRNA expression of enzymes related to energy metabolism in liver, adipose, and muscle, as well as regulators of muscle mass and insulin receptor was assessed. The results demonstrated that there was reduced accumulation of body fat mass (P = .01) and greater lean mass (P = .03) for the HD- compared to LD-fed group regardless of the background diet. There were no consistent differences between the LD and HD groups across background diets in substrate oxidation and mRNA expression for enzymes measured that regulate energy metabolism, myostatin, or muscle vascular endothelial growth factor. However, there was an increase in insulin receptor mRNA expression in muscle in the HD compared to the LD groups. In conclusion, elevated whey protein, calcium, and vitamin D intake resulted in reduced accumulation of body fat mass and increased lean mass, with a commensurate increase in insulin receptor expression, regardless of the level of calories from fat or sucrose.
  9. Back on track

by , March 17th, 2009 at 08:40 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Missed working out the last two days due to family and personal commitments. I don't sleep well when I don't work out, so this morning I did the unthinkable and hit the Y at 4:45 AM. Ran 4 miles on the treadmill as follows:

Mile 1 - 10 min. pace
    Mile 2 - 9:31 min. pace
    Mile 3 - 8:49 min. pace
    Mile 4 - 8:00 min. pace

Total distance ended up being 4.05 miles and did it in 37:18. Average HR was 152.

Immediately followed the run by some weights and a little bit of core work. Did 3 sets of each of the following exercises with 30 seconds rest between each set:

Lat pulldowns: 90 x 15
    Military press: 35 x 15
    Tricep pulldowns 30 x 15
    Hammer curls 10 x 15

Core work was as follows:

Crunches with legs on Swiss ball: 1 x 50
    Bicycle crunches: 1 x 50
    Scissors crunches: 2 x 25
    Back extensions: 2 x 25

Hoping to swim later today.
  10. Run + weights

by , March 10th, 2009 at 10:06 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Took my 10 year old to the nearby marked trail. Did .5 mile jog/.5 mile run at easy speed/.5 mile jog/.5 mile easy speed/1 mile cool down. Temps in upper 70s.

Felt encouraged by the easy speed as I held about a 7:20 pace on the first easy speed 1/2 mile and a 7:00 pace on the second easy speed 1/2 mile. May try an easy speed mile on Saturday (if weather permits) and see if I am comfortable running 7:30 to 7:45 for one mile.

Immediately after the run we headed to the Y. I hit the weight room and did 5 sets of each of the following:

Lat pulldowns: 90 x 15
    Military press: 30 x 15
    Tricep pulldowns: 30 x 15
    Alternating hammer curls: 10 x 15

Took 30 seconds rest between sets and 2 minutes rest between each different exercise.

Noted importance of rythmic breathing on weights. Became particularly important on the 4th and 5th sets when I started to feel "the burn."

Plan to add some core work in soon. I'm blessed with a pretty strong core, but bad about taking it for granted. Don't want to lose what I have but at the same time, I don't like to work it too much as I have noticed I will actually add inches in my waist. Discovered this one month when I got into a routine of doing 400 various types of crunches.

Updated March 11th, 2009 at 03:31 PM by elise526

Categories
  11. Bonkville

by , March 5th, 2009 at 06:04 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Well, making the transition from power workouts to endurance workouts is harder than I thought it would be. Went out for a 4 mile run late in the morning that was supposed to be a nice easy run at a comfortable pace on a lovely sunny day. From the start, I could tell that my legs were dead, probably from yesterday's swim workout. I've been told that I kick way too much when I swim. Is this possible?

Anyway, not too far into the run, I determined that this was not going to be an easy run. At 3 miles, I had to walk because both my knees were hurting and the right side of my lower back was bothering me. I walked for 5 minutes and battled thoughts of getting old and fat.

I decided the pain must be my form and resumed my run, trying to pick my knees up a little higher when I ran. It worked! A reminder to me that running slow and easy can be bad for running form. No problems the rest of the way in, but still it took me a long time to finish this run - 41 minutes.

Later in the day, hit the weight room for some light weight/high reps action:

Lat pull-downs: 95 x 5 x 15 - 20 sec. rest btwn each set
    Military press: 30 x 5 x 15 -20 sec. rest btwn each set
    Standing tricep pull-downs: 30 x 5 x 15 - 20 sec. rest btwn each set
    Dumbbell alternating hammer curls: 10 x 5 x 15 - 20 sec. rest btwn each set

Would love to superset, pairing lat pull-down with military press and triceps with hammer curls, but gym is too crowded to make this possible. Easier to monopolize one machine for 5 sets.

Thoughts: I truly have a love/hate relationship with running. I really would like to get back to a decent level as there are many more opportunities around here to compete in 5ks or triathlons than USMS meets. I really enjoy the sprint triathlons the most for social reasons and because of the shape I get in training for them. I've done an aqua bike event, but somehow felt like I was whimping out in not doing the whole thing.

To get my running back up to gear, I may have to put the pull buoy on more to save my legs or simply cut back on my swimming yardage. I don't like the pull buoy as it slows me way down. Yes, I'm one of those that slows down with the pull buoy on, and when you just put paddles on me, I really speed up.

Anybody out there started back to running and kept their swimming up to 10,000 -12,000 yards a week? I would love to hear ideas on balancing this amount of yardage with 20 to 25 miles of running (my goal weekly running mileage).

Updated March 6th, 2009 at 12:25 PM by elise526

Categories