Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Welcome back again

Any reason you are not increasing weight on the squats? No spot, no cage, nodesireforabigbutt?
    Haha, qbrain. Good to be back. Going very easy on the squats to start with. Don't want any knee or lower back issues.
    Welcome back again

Any reason you are not increasing weight on the squats? No spot, no cage, nodesireforabigbutt?
    I think it's great to plan ahead! I've been encouraging my team to do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Interesting plan with sensible-sounding motivation. Have you selected your events yet? Did this influence your training plan?
    Thanks for asking, Karl. I know I will be focusing on the sprints. Definitely will do 50 fly and 50 free. My backstroke is unpredictable, but may enter a 50 of that as well.

Knowing that I will probably do spints definitely has influenced my training plan. I don't have a lot of natural strenth, but really enjoy the training involved for sprints (intense, adrenalin-filled, shorter workouts) as opposed to distance. Got to do the weights to get the strength. Plus, I enjoy socializing in the weight room!
    Interesting plan with sensible-sounding motivation. Have you selected your events yet? Did this influence your training plan?
    Your crossfit doesn't require you to take a week long intro class that teaches you all the exercises?
    Not a set class to learn the exercises. He did say for the first few classes that he would go over each exercise with me. He has so far and has made sure I had good form before I started.
    Your crossfit doesn't require you to take a week long intro class that teaches you all the exercises?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I was hypo. Explains why I was really dragging for awhile. Also explains a lot of other symptoms I was having. I think it could have been part of a hormone cascade issue. In any event, I am feeling better these days on BHRT and thyroid hormones.
    I've been both hyper and hypo. Hypo feels the worst! Hyper is more dangerous, but hypo feels terrible. I know how you felt. I got diagnosed with hypo in third year of law school.

Glad you are feeling better!
    I was hypo. Explains why I was really dragging for awhile. Also explains a lot of other symptoms I was having. I think it could have been part of a hormone cascade issue. In any event, I am feeling better these days on BHRT and thyroid hormones.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Hope the blood work comes out! I have to have blood work all the time because of a thyroid problem discovered back in Nov. Maybe he's jut checking cholesterol levels?

Cross Fit is intriguing. I definitely think it's worth an experiment as opposed to heavy weights. I would think you would get excellent muscle conditioning, which must generate some power for swimming. Those kipping pull ups scare me though.
    Thanks, Fort! I know he always runs a cholesterol check along with the thyroid (I should have mentioned that), so the extra tests are making me nervous. I know he has run an in-depth check on my iron levels before, so hopefully this is what it is.

Thyroid troubles also, huh? Are you hypo or hyper?
    Hope the blood work comes out! I have to have blood work all the time because of a thyroid problem discovered back in Nov. Maybe he's jut checking cholesterol levels?

Cross Fit is intriguing. I definitely think it's worth an experiment as opposed to heavy weights. I would think you would get excellent muscle conditioning, which must generate some power for swimming. Those kipping pull ups scare me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Here's the one I use and would recommend:
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDet...029&color=9343
    The bend forces you to keep your head in a neutral position and also helps keep the thing on your head during turns with the lower profile. I haven't tried other snorkels but I do love this one.
    Thanks, Speedo! When I get one, this is the one I will go with.
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Great idea! I never would have thought about that if you had not mentioned it! Any suggestions on types of snorkels?

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Here's the one I use and would recommend:
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDet...029&color=9343
    The bend forces you to keep your head in a neutral position and also helps keep the thing on your head during turns with the lower profile. I haven't tried other snorkels but I do love this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    No you shouldn't take the winker off, I just wasn't sure what you meant. I agree we should all accept ourselves and bodies for being the amazing machines they are.
    How have you been? Long time no blog. I bet you're into some other interesting stuff! How's your son doing? Does he still like to run?
    Probably best that I took the winker down. I looked at it again and I can see how if really might offend some folks.

I have been lazy for a year all the way around. Very little consistent exercise other than slow walking and bowling. It is going to be a challenge to get back into decent shape anytime soon!

My son is running cross country this year. He is in seventh grade now. Hard to believe! The other day he did the longest run he has ever done - 5 miles. He was really excited that he was able to do this!

Thanks for asking. It is good to be back. Are you involved this year with the cross country team?
    No you shouldn't take the winker off, I just wasn't sure what you meant. I agree we should all accept ourselves and bodies for being the amazing machines they are.
    How have you been? Long time no blog. I bet you're into some other interesting stuff! How's your son doing? Does he still like to run?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    What's wrong with skinny legs?
    Nothing at all! I just don't think it is good to be envious of the way other people are built. Best to be satisfied with how one is built naturally. I struggle to accept my body as it is. Being jealous of how others are built will never gain me inner acceptance of how I am built.

Sorry if the remark seemed offensive. I'll take off the winking smiley.

Today, when my legs felt heavy, I did wish for skinny legs. I had to remind myself, however, that I don't have them and never will. I put the winky smiley there really as an indication than I am just another woman who is self-critical about her body. No insult meant towards the skinny-legged people.
    What's wrong with skinny legs?
    Umm... As long as you can... and then add more time?

If your abs last longer than your forearms, you are not in too bad of shape
    If I can do this and what Speedo suggests, I may just get back into shape! Will see how it goes. Bring on the pain!
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Thanks for the info on exercises, qbrain! That hanging exercise looks tough, but I will definitely try it. How long do you think I should hold my planks? How long do you think I should do the hanging knee raises?

Umm... As long as you can... and then add more time?

If your abs last longer than your forearms, you are not in too bad of shape
    Back to your last post, I would suggest planks and hanging knee raises. Play with the positions to keep from getting bored and go for time instead of reps.

One thing Rich Abrahams does he calls a suit case carry. It is actually an isometric exercise, but he manages to use distance instead of time, so you have something different to focus on. Take something heavy that you can carry in one hand like a suitcase or a dumbbell, and walk with perfect posture X distance. Change hands and walk back.

Another easy one. Whenever you are sitting (at a desk, at dinner, etc) sit forward on the chair, perfect posture, belly button to spine. Ok, not the easiest to do, just easiest to fit into your day.

Good luck with your back, hope to see you at a 2012 Nationals.
    Thanks for the info on exercises, qbrain! That hanging exercise looks tough, but I will definitely try it. How long do you think I should hold my planks? How long do you think I should do the hanging knee raises?
Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast