View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

1. Countdown to 2013 SCY Nationals

by , April 16th, 2012 at 06:30 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Nope. No typo in the title. I really mean 2013. Got in good shape for 2010 SCY Nationals and thought I would take a 6 month break from any kind of consistent training. Six months turned into nearly two years. I wasn't too bad of a couch potato during this time. I bowled, hiked, rode my bike at moderate paces, and jogged with my dog. During the last two years, I have done some extensive remodeling on the house and have been working on my masters degree in history. I will be graduating in December provided I pass my oral comprehensive exams.

In any case, when I saw that SCY Nats was going to be held in Indianapolis next year, I decided I'd better start getting back in shape. I really like the pool at Indy and miss seeing my friends. I'd like to go and make a decent showing which for me means maybe getting lucky and getting a tenth place finish.

I'm going to try something which some might consider to be somewhat unorthodox.
    I am going to focus on weightlifting before I get back into heavy swimming. In fact, for the first few weeks back, I am going to just use my swimming as a cool-down from my weights. While I am building my strength this summer and early fall, I'll probably stick to drills, easy swimming, and maybe a few sprints at the end. Only after I have built up my strength, will I ease down on the weights and focus more on swimming. My strategy is to build strength and minimize the chance of injury. Also, I hate getting back in the pool and doing regular workouts before I have started doing weights. I always feel pathetically weak!

I'll probably do a little bit of cross-training, but will keep it to a minimum. I'm more interested in getting strong and swimming well.

Anyway, here is the workout I did today:

Warm-up: 5 minutes on the gauntlet

Bench press: bar x 10, 65 x 8, 85 x 6, 65 x 8, bar x 10

Lat hi row: 90 x 10, 100 x 8, 110 x 6, 100 x 8, 90 x 10

Hammer curls: 3 sets of 12 x 10

Leg Press: 130 x 10, 150 x 8, 170 x 6, 150 x 8, 130 x 10

Hip adduction: 110 x 10, 120 x 8, 130 x 6, 120 x 8, 110 x 10

Hip abduction: 110 x 10, 115 x 8, 120 x 6, 115 x 8, 110 x 10

Seated ankle-flexion machine: 3 sets of 45 x 10

Captains chair: 3 sets of 20

1.25 mile walk with 4 x 100 yard sprints
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Run in the park

by , December 11th, 2011 at 03:35 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Had a great run in the park on Saturday morning with my Jack Russell Terrier. Meant to wear the heart rate monitor I just bought to get an idea of my average HR, but forgot it. Ran 5 miles in 46:52, so about a 9:22 per mile pace. Temp was in the mid-40s. Perfect for running. It is so much easier for me to run in temps under 60. Glad I had my mace with me as there were a few odd people wandering about in the park. Not sure I want to run there by myself again.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Short and Sweet

by , December 10th, 2011 at 02:49 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Here's the short swim workout I did on Friday:

300: 100 swim/100 kick/100 pull

4 x 75: 25 drill/50 swim on 1:30

4 x 150: 100 pull/50 fast kick w/fins on 2:30

4 x 200 free with 1 minute rest - focus on perfect technique - breathe every 3 on odd 50s and breathe as needed on even 50s

8 x 25 choice on :30 - alternated 2 free with 2 back

200 easy

2000 SCY

Notes:

1. The 4 x 150 set is what I call the triathlon transition set. On the swim in a triathlon, you basically pull the swim and let you legs just float behind. You want to save your legs for the bike and run. Still, you have to be ready to jump out of the water, run to the bike, and spin once you get on your bike. Your legs have to be ready to go even if you have not been using them much on the swim. That is where this set comes in handy. It trains your legs to be ready to move fast. I used to do these types of sets back in my triathlon days and found them to be quite helpful.

2. I would have rather done the 25s on :45 instead of :30 so I could work my speed. I was, however, running out of time, so had to hurry up and get them done. IMHO, on a short set of 25s, you are really wasting your time if you aren't going all out. To work speed, you have to take plenty of time to recover betwen each one. I like to do them on 45 or even one minute. Sometimes I do them on even more rest.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Onward!

by , December 8th, 2011 at 03:43 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Back to posting. I've been so busy, I have gotten out of the habit of posting my workouts. Still not going as hard as I did two years ago, but intent on staying in decent shape.

Tuesday
    Hit the pool for a quick workout. Air and water temp were perfect.

200 warm-up
    5 x 100 dolphin kick on 2:00 - held 1:28 to 1:33
    6 x 50 back with paddles on 1:00
    4 x 50 breast kick on 1:00
    1 x 300 kick on side with fins
    6 x 50 - 3 rt/3lt/3 full strokes fly on 1:15
    4 x 25 AFAP fly with fins on :45
    100 easy

2000 SCY

Wednesday
    4 mile run on treadmill - averaged 10 minutes per mile.

Bench press - bar x 10, 65 x 8, 85 x 6, 95 x 4

Lat pull-down - 90 x 10, 110 x 8, 130 x 6, 150 x 4

Hammer curls - 2 sets of 12 x 10

Captain's Chair leg lifts - 2 sets of 25

Plan for right now is to just do weights on upper body. When I do squats or leg presses, my quads do get bigger. I'm trying to avoid having to buy new pants, so think I'll stick with running to work my legs right now.

No plans to enter any competitions in the near future, but want to be in good enough shape so that if I see one I want to do, I can get in meet shape quickly.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Still around!

by , October 19th, 2011 at 08:19 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    I know I am not blogging much these days, but I am still working out -unlike a year ago!

Allergies have been kicked up bad! I am told that this is supposed to be the worst allergy season here yet because of the tornado we had back in the spring. Don't get the tornado connection, but it has been undeniably bad here insofar as allergies are concerned. I am the allergy queen, so when I see what appear to be normal people having trouble, I know things are bad.

My left eye got so swollen up, my eye doctor ended up having to call in a steroid eye drop after basic antihistamine drops weren't doing the job. I had to stay out of the water most of last week to let the drops do their work. I had something like this come up 21 years ago and put off getting it treated. I ended up getting a corneal ulcer, so I wasn't going to put it off this time. Anyway, eye is much better and I was able to get back in the water yesterday. In the meantime, I have been doing some light running.

Thursday - Ran 3 miles at a 10 minute per mile pace. My dog doesn't like running this slow and looks back at me to see what my problem is.

Friday - Hit the old dreadmill and ran 2 miles. With each mile I would try to get faster with each 1/4 mile. I would start off with a 10 minute mile and work my way down to a 8:00 mile for the last 1/4.

Sunday - Ran 2 miles at a 9:30 per mile pace.

Tuesday - Finally hit the pool again! Did 4 x 500 on 7:30 as follows:

1st 500 - kick with fins, alternating 100 free kick with 100 back kick

2nd 500 - swim

3rd 500 - kick with fins, alternating 100 dolphin kick on back with 100 back kick

4th 500 - swim with paddles

100 easy

2100 SCY

Wednesday - Fun at the track! Ran with dog at track - she is great at staying in the appropriate lane.

Warmed up 1/2 mile then did 4 x 1200 -

First 1200 - still warming up, so ran around 6:15

Next 3 1200s - kept between 5:40 and 5:58.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Still here!

by , October 11th, 2011 at 09:48 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Haven't blogged in a couple of weeks, but I'm still here! The week of September 25, I got real busy and was only able to get in one run and one swim. The week of October 2, I got in two run workouts and a swim workout, but was hit with a stomach bug towards the end of the week. The stomach thing really zapped me, so when I went to the Y today, I really took it easy.

Felt refreshed after the workout and thankfully did not feel like I had been hit by a truck. Hopefully, I can stay on track now and stay healthy. The Auburn meet is just 4 months away!

200 warm-up

200 breast kick

200 dolphin kick on back

4 x 50 free with paddles and buoy on :50

4 x 50 back with paddles on 1:00

100 easy

1100 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Encouraged

by , September 24th, 2011 at 01:31 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Dropped in on the senior kids practice yesterday. They were having a light practice after a week of hard work, so I picked the right time. I would not say it was necessary easy as the practice had a good bit of sprinting involved. What made me feel good was that the coach made a point to tell the swimmers to watch how much power I had when were practicing mid-pool 25s.

Anyway, here is the workout we did:

300 easy swim

400 Reverse I.M. - Swim, kick, drill, swim

100 free drill

12 x 25 mid-pool 25s (working turns)

300 free pull

12 x 25 - first 6 were 12.5 hard, 12.5 easy, last 6 were build to a sprint

8 x 50 with fins on 2:00 - 25 underwater/25 back

100 easy

2200 SCY

Saturday

Son had a cross country meet which was followed by an open 5k. Decided to do the 5k as a workout. No way I could race this one after using my legs as much as I did yesterday. Anyway, I ran at an 8:33 pace per mile which is fine with me at the point in the game. If the weather is decent next weekend, I think I might try taking Friday off and see if I can run at around an 8:00 per mile pace.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. The Road to Getting Back in Shape

by , September 21st, 2011 at 11:09 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    As I have anticipated, the road to getting back in shape is not a short one. The challenge is fun as long as I don't get too discouraged about how slow I must go. I make a point to tell myself that it can only get better.

Monday
    Ran 3 miles with my dog. Averaged 9:16 per mile.

Tuesday
    Hit the pool for a workout. The water felt very oily. Several times my pull buoy slipped out because of this.

Warm-up: 300 swim, 200 kick, 100 pull

Pyramid (no rest between sets)

4 x 25 back on :30
    3 x 50 free on 1:00
    2 x 75 dolphin kick on back w/fins on 1:30
    1 x 100 free pull on 2:00
    1 x 100 free pull on 2:00
    2 x 75 dolphin kick on back w/fins on 1:30
    3 x 50 free on 1:00
    4 x 25 back on :30

6 x 50 fly on 1:15 - alternate 3 rt/3 lt/3 full throughout 50

100 easy

2000 SCY

Wednesday
    Time to start hitting the weight room.

Warmed up on recumbent bike for 15 minutes.

Leg lifts in Captain's Chair - 2 sets of 25
    Back extensions - 2 sets of 25

Bench press: bar x 10, 2 sets of 65 x 10
    Lat pulldown: 70 x 10, 2 sets of 110 x 10
    Hammer curls: 2 sets of 10 x 10

To get a sense of pace off the treadmill, wnet out to track and did 1/2 mile warm-up and then did 6 x 800. It was hot, so I took it pretty easy and averaged about 4:10 on the 800s.

Later, needed to take my dog out for her exercise so she doesn't pork up. Ran 2.5 miles with her. Did walk a few times because I was tired from running at the track.

I am finding that my POTs is a somewhat of an issue right now. As I get in better shape, I suspect it will become less so. Conditioning is supposed to help keep it under control. Right now, however, it is challenging to reach that point where I am well-conditioned enough for it not to be too much a factor.

Any upright exercise really takes a toll on me, but being consistent about it for a month or two is supposed to help the condition. The other day, running three miles at a 9:15 pace really taxed me. I was tired when I did my swim on Tuesday. The heat is not great for it either. I plan to keep plodding on, believing it will get better in a few weeks. I'm trying to be smart about it by taking it easy when I run, but making sure I am getting it in.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Feel of Fall

by , September 18th, 2011 at 08:10 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    I could feel fall on its way early in the week. Yes, even here in the Deep South it is a coming. On Tuesday, I went out to the track about 7 p.m. The sun was going down and the temps were in the low seventies. Meanwhile the adjacent soccer fields were filled with people of all ages - from middle school to adult- playing soccer. It was indeed a great night to be out. I did 2 miles of the following:

1 mile of running 300 meters and walking 100 meters - hold under an 8:00 min. per mile pace on 300 meters.

1 mile of running 200 meters and walking 200 meters - hold a 7:00 to 7:30 per mile pace on 200 meters

Walked 1/2 to cool down

Wednesday
    Walk/Run of 3.5 miles with dog.

Thursday
    Hit the pool and did 2000 SCY as follows:

200 warm-up

4 x 250 dolphin kick on back with fins on 3:30

300 easy flutter kick with fins

4 x 100 back with fins and paddles on 1:30

100 easy

Saturday
    2 mile run
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Post-Labor Day Workouts

by , September 10th, 2011 at 08:46 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    A busy week, but I was able to get in a few workouts.

Wednesday
    Did a 2.5 run with my Jack Russell terrier on the trail in the park. Ran at about a 10 minute per mile pace. It cracks me up that my little dog gets so excited about going for a run on the leash. She makes running more fun.

Friday
    Got to the pool late, so had just 30 minutes to get in a quick workout. Here is what I did:

200 warm-up

4 x 150 free (100 pull with buoy and paddles, 50 kick) on 2:45

6 x 50 free - easy 25/sprint 25 on :55

50 easy

4 x 25 fly with fins AFAP on :45

150 easy

1400 SCY

Saturday
    Ran a 5k with my Jack Russell. Her first 5k! We held an 8:54 per mile pace. Not too bad for a little dog that just weighs 12.9 pounds.

Went to the Y after the race and got in a quick swim workout as follows:

Warm-up: 200 S, 200 K, 200 Pull

4 x 100 dolphin kick with no fins on 2:00 - hold under 1:35

4 x 100 back pull on 1:30

6 x 50 fly on 1:15 - 3 rt, 3 lt, 3 full

4 x 25 fly with fins on :45

200 easy

2000 SCY

Not leaning up too well. I just love sweets too much and am finding it hard to give them up. Truly a vice for me. I only have one alcoholic drink a month, but I usually have one sweet a day. Unfortunately, the sweet is not just a small cookie. It usually is a piece of pie, a blizzard, or a candy bar. I have not right to whine about not dropping the pounds until I give that stuff up. Don't know if I can do it!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. PV

by , September 4th, 2011 at 12:27 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Personal victory for me this week. I was able to get in 3 runs and 3 swims. Although the swims and runs were short, I'm still glad I was able to do it. It has been a couple of years since I've gotten 3 runs and 3 swims in one week. Sad to say that I have not leaned up so far as I have hoped. I just love all the wrong kind of food.

Here is the swim I did today:

300 swim
    200 kick
    100 pull

4 x 75 with fins on 1:45 - one of each stroke: 25 uw/25 kick/25 swim

100 easy

Right after the swim, got my dog and went out for a 2.5 mile run. Somewhat challenging as it was already 94 degrees. I'm ready for it to cool down!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. September Swim

by , September 2nd, 2011 at 10:04 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    My first swim workout for the month of September:

300 warm-up: 100 swim, 100 kick, 100 pull

4 x 100 free on 1:40

1 minute rest

3 x 100 free on 1:30

1 minute rest

2 x 100 free on 1:25

1 minute rest

1 x 100 free on 1:20

100 easy

4 x 75 dolphin kick on back with fins on 1:15

100 easy

4 x 25 fly with fins AFAP on :45

100 easy

2000 SCY

This evening, took a 1.25 mile walk with my dog at sunset. The sunset was unwordly! Wish I had brought my phone or camara for the walk.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Consistency

by , August 31st, 2011 at 10:29 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    My goal is now to stick to a plan. I am back on track for my "leaning up" plan. Hope to stick to this for four weeks before I start adding in any weights. Strangely enough, this is kind of like the plan we used to follow in college, so I guess I can't be totally off even though college has been 20+ years ago.

Monday
    The local golf course is closed on Monday, so took the opportunity to take one of my dogs and run a couple of miles on the golf course. I picked this particular venue because I can let the dog off her leash and let her run along with me. She loved it even though it was quite warm. Lots of ponds for her to look at the fish. Since she put in some good mileage, I rewarded her with a hamburger afterwards. She weighs all of 13 pounds, but is solid muscle. As little as she weighs, she eats as much as my 120 pound dog. Always on the move, I don't see her ever getting fat.

Tuesday
    Got a swim in at the Y. Perfect time to do so as I had my own lane and shared the pool with just three other people.

4 x 400 - 100 Swim, 100 kick, 100 drill, 100 swim

#1 - free
    #2 - breast
    #3 - back
    #4 - fly - on swim, did one arm fly

6 x 50 kick with fins AFAP on :50
    - 1,2 - dolphin kick on back
    - 3,4 - back kick
    - 5,6 - free kick

100 easy

2000 SCY

Wednesday
    Hit an asphalt trail nearby and ran 2.5 miles. Took my dog again. She actually seems to enjoy this even though she is quite tired by the end.

Did 4 x 30 yard wind sprints and 15 air squats after my run.

I don't feel like I have done much this week, but at least it is something.

Updated August 31st, 2011 at 10:40 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Trying to regroup

by , August 28th, 2011 at 09:21 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Well, think I am going to go back to just swimming and running like I was doing until I tried out Crossfit. My body did not have a good reaction to the two workouts that I did. It probably did not help that I did these outside in the heat (90 degrees) and am not in the greatest shape.

A couple of days after the Monday workout, the soreness really set in. My body literally swelled an additional four pounds after the workouts. I don't know what happened, but the old body did not handle this well at all. I rested until today and felt so much better. The weight that I gained from the swelling went away after three days of rest.

Tired of being a couch potato, son and I went on a canoe trip at a place 30 minutes from here. We paddled pretty hard. The owner of the outfit told us to expect it to take 4 to 4.5 hours to complete the 6 mile journey. I was pleasantly surprised when we finished it in 2.5 hours. We probably were able to get through it quickly because we never took a break. I wanted to, but son wanted to keep on going. He was hungry and I had not brought any food on board. Next time, I think I'll pack a picnic. My experience has been that there is a 50-50 chance that somebody is going to get pretty wet on the canoe trip, so that is why I decided not to pack a meal. Also, more than once, I've turned over in a canoe.

I was relieved that we didn't turn over since I had my phone in my pocket. I did have to get out a couple of times and reposition the boat when it got stuck on a couple of rocks. With a few small rapids here and there, the course is really better suited for kayaking than canoing. I think next time we will rent a couple of kayaks instead.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. More Crossfit

by , August 23rd, 2011 at 09:41 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    My quads were SORE over the weekend from the Friday evening Crossfit class. I went out on Sunday on my bike and did a 10 mile spin. Made my legs feel so much better. Went back Monday evening. He went over the exercises with me for ten minutes before the group got there, making sure I had good form. He also insisted I use the lightest kettlebell (18 lbs.) during the workout of the day. I kind of felt like I was at an unfair advantage compared to the others since I was using the lightest weight. Given my newbie status and my age, however, I am more than content to use a light weight. I don't think I will try to move up on the weight anytime soon.

Below is what we did after a warm-up of back extensions, sit-ups, shoulder stretches, and air squats. We had twenty minutes to get as many rounds/reps in as possible.

3 kettlebell swings
    3 lifts with kettlebells making sure elbows higher than wrists (can't remember exact name of exercise)
    3 squats
    100 meter run with kettlebell

6 kettlebell swings
    6 lifts
    6 squats
    100 meter run

9 kettlebell swings
    9 lifts
    9 squats
    100 meter run

Keep increasing reps by 3 on each new round until time runs out (20 minutes). I got up to doing 21 reps of each exercise, completed the 100 meter run and was about to start at 24 reps when time was called. Just me and one other guy got that far out of about 10 folks. Again, I was the only one using the lightest weight, so it is really not a fair comparison.

Today, I was tired, so just did 1600 yards in the pool. Here is the workout I did:

Warm-up: 200 swim

6 x 100 kick with fins on 1:45 - 2 free, 2 back, 2 back dolphin

1 x 200 breast kick

4 x 50 free drill - rt arm only/lt arm only - 15 seconds rest

4 x 25 doggy drill on :30

6 x 25 free sprint with fins on :45

150 easy cool-down - kicked on side with fins

1600 SCY

Tomorrow will be swimming with kids, so I needed today to recover.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Tried out Crossfit

by , August 23rd, 2011 at 03:47 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Did not get a chance to work out on Thursday due to various meetings, but got to Crossfit on Friday. Have to say that I really like it! Since I am a beginner, I was given a fairly, simple easy workout. My workout was as follows:

warm-up doing back extensions, air squats, sit-ups, shoulder stretches

4 rounds:

200 meter run
    5 pull-ups (used band)
    10 push-ups
    15 air squats

My quads were SORE the next day. Went for an easy swim on Saturday and did the following:

700 warm-up

4 x 25 chest presses (fly kick with pull buoys held out in front)

4 x 50 fly drill - 3 rt, 3 lt, 3 full on 1:15

4 x 100 back drill - 25 double-arm/25 rt arm/25 lt arm/25 full on 2:00

100 easy
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Having fun with the kids

by , August 17th, 2011 at 08:17 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    In a small city, there aren't many organized adult swim clubs or run clubs, so often the best option is training with the kids. I did this a couple of years ago in training for the 2010 SCY Nationals and really enjoyed it. I've now done 3 practices with the kids (2 swim, 1 run) in my return from the couch and have found I really enjoy it. I try to be encouraging to the kids without taking over the coach's role. This can sometimes be hard because there are times I am tempted to whine. The kids seem to enjoy having me there, so it works out pretty well.

Monday I had a rest day. This next year I plan to take at least one day. In light of my age and various health issues, I think this will work to my benefit. Hopefully, I will not get broken down, will stay pretty healthy, and will not get injured.

Tuesday I did a little bit of track work. My son does cross country and this is the day they hit the track. The group of kids ranges from 7th to 12th grade. For the track workout, however, some adults in their forties come out there as well. The coach had mentioned to me that it would be cool to have a woman out there involved with the kids, but I am trying to keep a little bit of distance given that my son is on the team. I told the coach that I might come out and do some speed with them once a week. So, yesterday, I did a little bit of the track workout. I had to situate some things first, so I missed the first two 400s and first 800 getting my warm-up in. I know I am not quite in shape to be doing these, so kept the effort at about 75%.

Warm-up: easy 800

800 - don't know what my time was, but tried to keep an even and long stride

400 - 1:36

1:00 rest

400 - 1:42

right into 800 easy jog

1.5 miles

I liked the fact that without me saying anything, my son started trying harder once I was out there. I had fun encouraging the kids, especially when they passed me.

Today, swam with the senior group down at the Y. Late for warm-up as usual and had to miss the last set in practice, but still got some decent yardage in. Really liked this workout. One thing I discovered -I stink with fins. I just havent' figured this out. I asked the coach about this because I am a pretty decent kicker without the fins. He thought it was the type of fins. I just think there is some weakness or something off about how I am kicking. The same people I can soundly beat on a kick set without fins kill me when it comes time to putting on the fins. Oh well. Hung in there best I could. I did, however, feel really strong on the last set I did in practice. Maybe there is hope for my 100 I.M.

Warm-up: 200 free swim
    300 non-free swim
    200 free

500 pull (paddles and pull buoy) DPS - count stokes per 50 and try to maintain throught 500. Was able to hold 24to 25 strokes per 50 for first 300, but it detiorated to 28 by the last 50 of the 500.

3 x 100 kick with fins - 20 sec rest
    1 x 300 free - no fins -45 sec rest
    2 x 200 kick with fins - 20 sec rest
    1 x 200 free - no fins - 45 sec rest
    1 x 300 kick with fins - 20 sec rest
    1 x 100 free - no fins

100 easy

24 x 25 IM order (go thru IM 6 times) with 10 seconds rest -felt pretty good on these and was surprised I still felt strong on fly on the 6th round

100 easy

3600 SCY

Had my annual physical today. My doc is a former ultra-endurance athlete, so I enjoy talking to him about training, nutrition, etc. Had good numbers on blood pressure (112/70) and pulse (60).

I am a little nervous, however, about the blood work. Having been off a year from exercise, having been slack about taking my vitamins, and having indulged in more bad food and alcohol than I do when I am training for competition, I am dreading what comes back. At the beginning of every physical I have, they always take a big tube of blood from me to check my thryroid levels. I've been dealing with a problem thyroid for 20 years, so the big tube of blood is automatic. I was a little alarmed when the doc told me he was requesting two additional tests, but I would not have to give more blood to have them done. Don't know what tests he requested. He didn't say and I forgot to ask. I hope he didn't see anything that is cause for alarm. Well, guess I'll know in two weeks. I hate having to wait for test results to come back!

One thing we did discuss was the fact I had really backed off my training for a year. He told me that was a long time and not to have high expectations too soon. He said I really should not have taken off so much time from strength training because I've probably lost muscle mass. Taking all this in mind, I decided that I am going to give cross-fit a try as my dryland training. The swim coach is actually an instructor and does this out of his home. He individualizes your workout according to your fitness level and age. Well, I will give it a shot on Friday at 7:45 a.m. If I like it, I'll do it twice a week. Later on when I back off the running, I may go to three times a week. I'd like to try this instead of working with heavy weights this year.

Updated August 17th, 2011 at 08:58 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Slow Run

by , August 14th, 2011 at 05:23 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Yes, indeed. I sure did run slow today. I do try to remind myself, however, that I am blessed I can still do it even if go about it at a snail's pace. Ran about 3 p.m. It was hot, but the humidiity was low. A rolling hills type course with a gradual incline. Total run was 3.7 miles and it took me about 36:45.

Legs feel weak and heavy. I don't think this is from the kicking yesterday either. Well, now I have to stick to running so I can perhaps have a chance of feeling "light" on my feet again.

After the run today, I almost envy those with skinny legs.

Updated August 14th, 2011 at 10:52 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Worked the legs

by , August 13th, 2011 at 06:58 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Following Fort's suggestion to use fins to get some good muscle tone in the thighs, did an aerobic kick workout today:

4 x 500 kick with fins on 7:30

Odds: 100 free kick with board/100 back kick

Evens: 100 dolphin on back/100 back kick

On the first 500, my legs really started to burn, but I soon adjusted and felt o.k. I was one tired puppy after yesterday's workout and all the kicking today. Came home and took a two hour nap.

I have forgotten how good swimming makes me feel mentally. I feel much calmer than usual.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Longest workout in over a year!!

by , August 12th, 2011 at 11:44 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Swam with the older group this afternoon. They just got back in the pool starting on Wednesday after a 6 week break, so I figured now was the best time to join them.

I got to warm-up late, but was able to do a little bit of one. I was really tired after this workout, but relieved I could get through it.

Warm-up: 400 swim, 200 kick

6 x 200 free on 3:00 (used paddles on even swims)

400 I.M. kick
    1 minute rest
    4 x 200 free on 3:00 (used paddles on even swims)

300 I.M. kick
    1 minute rest
    2 x 200 free on 3:00 (no paddles)

100 easy

500 free pull with paddles and buoy

200 easy

4500 SCY

Thoughts:

1. It was my choice to use paddles on the 200 free swims. I felt like I was dropping my elbow on swims without them and so wearing the paddles forced me to have better form. Tomorrow, if I can get my swim in, I plan to follow Fort's suggestion of using fins and working my legs. No paddles tomorrow.

2. Discovered where my lower back stuff is coming from. I breathe on one side because the pool chemistry is not the greatest and thus, have to breathe every stroke. May use my inhaler next time to so that I can make attempt at breathing every three. My left side is not happy with the constant "twisting."

3. Encouraged I could make it through the workout. Hope to get in once a week with this group to get an endurance workout. Plan to make my other workouts between 2,000 to 3,000 yards and focus mainly on technique.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast