View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

1. The Plan

by , August 11th, 2011 at 11:49 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    O.K. I feel like I am getting back on track. The plan is that I will take the next month to do what I call "leaning up." My weight is at 145 which is not bad except the old body fat percentage has gone up. I have now what one would call a curvy body which is nice in some ways, but not what I am used to. So, the plan is to lean down to perhaps 137 to 140 and add back some muscle.

For the next month, I hope to alternate run days and swim days. No weights until I lean down. So, probably am talking about mid-Septemeber before I hit the weights.

I really would like to do Auburn in February and the SCY Nationals in April. It will be interesting to see if I can get back in shape in time even though I have been on a one year taper.

I do have to say that my body feels pretty good. All those places that felt really tight before I went on my one year break - my lower back and shoulders - feel fine now. I noticed on my dolphin kick the other day that I was getting a better range of motion and more power in my hips. My lower back is not tight at all! On fly, no shoulder issues either.

This is what I have done so far this week:

Monday
    Treadmill run. Ran 3 miles as follows:
    -started each mile at 6.0 mph and worked up to 7.5 or 8.0 mph by the last 1/4 of the mile.
    -walked for 30 seconds at each mile

Tuesday
    400 - 100 free, 100 breast kick, 100 back, 100 dolphin kick

8 x 50 - alternate 50 drill with 50 swim 1:15
    1 & 2, 7 & 8 are fly - use fins with on swim
    3 & 4 are back, 5 & 6 are free - use fins on swim

4 x 100 alternate 25 hard/25 easy on 1:45
    did kick with fins - made sure to alternate back kick, kick on side, and dolphin kick on back

4 x 100 odds are pull, evens are swim on 1:45 - did back on odds just using paddles and did free on evens

200 easy

1800 SCY

Wednesday
    off

Thursday
    2 miles on the treadmill as follows:
    1/2 mile warm-up at 6.5 mph
    alternate 2 minutes walking with 1 minute fast (did first one minute at 7.5 mph and worked my way up in speed so that I was at 9.0 mph on my last one minute run)

2 minute easy walk

Had planned to swim, but just as I was about to leave locker room with suit one, it thundered. So, will try to get it in tomorrow.

I am looking for any suggestions on how to improve muscle tone in my thighs. My calves are fine, but the thighs - ugh. Would love to hear any suggestions that involve swimming or running. Would doing a bunch of evil stroke kicking would help?

Updated August 11th, 2011 at 11:59 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Swimming in the clouds

by , August 7th, 2011 at 11:50 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Got to swim a couple of times this week. Was afraid I was getting off track because the week before, with my final in my history class and with helping a good friend get ready to move to California, I didn't have a chance to get anything in at all. This past week was better.

Monday, August 1
    Swam 600 yards in rock quarry near my house. Water felt like a bathtub, so limited how far I went. After what happened to Fran Crippen, I am a little nervous about swimming too hard in murky, hot open water.

Tuesday August 2
    Actually got a workout in at the Y pool. I literally felt like I was swimming in the clouds. I could not see because they had added a chemical to the water to get rid of the excess phosphorus. Even though I have an idea from my stroke count where the wall is, I had to lift my head to see where the wall was each time. More than once, I ran into the rope because I dould not even see it!
    Anyway, here is the workout:

200 swim, 200 kick (with fins), 200 pull

4 x 100 dolphin kick (no fins) on 2:00

5 x 100, alternate 100 free with 100 back

4 x 25 fly with fins on :45

100 easy

1700 SCY

Saturday, August 6
    Son is starting seventh grade and is going to do cross country this year. Official practices start on Monday, so he has gotten a little bit of running in the last two weeks. Temps are so hot and the humidity is high, so we throw in some walking.

Did a 3 mile run on the trail, walking for 30 to 45 seconds every 5 minutes. Did the 3 miles in 28:47.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Week 4 of the Return

by , July 29th, 2011 at 02:51 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    No swimming, but getting a few workouts in this week. I think once school starts back up again, there will be normal pool hours and it will be much easier to get in. My goal is to get on a regular schedule with swimming by August 15. Afterall, Auburn will be just six months away.

Sunday, July 17
    Moderate ride of 13 miles. Averaged 17.1 mph.

Tuesday, July 19
    Pushed it a little to average 18.4 for a 14 mile ride. Got off my bike after the ride and walked into a creek near my house. The creek actually originates on my property from a spring. It felt wonderful!

Thursday, July 21
    Unbelievable heat and humdity. Just kept it to 10 miles. Also took a 1,25 mile walk after dinner.

I am finishing up a course in early American history. One semester crammed into 3.5 weeks. Have really enjoyed it even though it has been lots of work. If you haven't read it, Sratch of a Pen by Calloway explains how 1763 was a pivotal year in American history. Didn't realize it until I read the book.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Week 3 of the Return

by , July 20th, 2011 at 11:48 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Still trying to hang in there with working out and blogging. Have to admit that the heat is making it a challenge to work out. Also, taking a graduate history class that is one semester crammed into just the month of July is making it hard to blog. O.k. Enough whining. As my friend always says, "Do you want some cheese with that whine?"

Anyway, week 3 was light, but here is what I did:

Sunday, July 3
    Ran 3 miles (with a little bit of walking in there) at a 10:45 per mile pace. Ran in bird santuary that has a dirt path.

Tuesday, July 5
    Ran 2 miles at a 10 minute per mile pace.

Saturday, July 16
    18 mile easy bike ride with friends. Biked with some folks haven't seen in a couple of years. Went real easy, averaging 15.5 mph.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Week 2 of the Return

by , July 11th, 2011 at 02:12 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Second week of trying to be consistent. To some degree I have kept moving even though I missed my weights this week. My appetite has increased resulting in a 4 lb. weight gain. Can't say I am happy with that, but I imagine it will drop off as my metabolism picks up in the next few weeks (at least I am hoping or perhaps wishfully thinking). Anyway, here is what I have done this week:

Sunday, July 3
    Biked an easy 14 miles, averaged 17.2 mph.

Tuesday, July 5
    Intended to go to the Y and lift weights and run on treadmill, but spent the later part of the afternoon looking for my dog who got out of the pen. Figured out I walked at least 4 miles looking for him. He didn't show up until two days later.

Wednesday, July 6
    I am having a love affair with my bike. Did the 4 mile loop in reverse this week 3 times. The reverse way is rolling hills with very slight decline. Had a slight wind against me. Here is how it breaks down:

2 mile warm up

Loop 1: Averaged 18.1 mph
    1/3 mile recovery

Loop 2: Averaged 20.1 mph
    1/3 mile recovery

Loop 3: Averaged 20.5 mph
    1/3 mile recovery

3 mile cool down

Total of 18 miles. I think I started out too hard or the heat got to me a little. I was hoping to average 21 mph on the last loop.

Thursday, July 7
    Got talked into running 4 miles with a group at 6:45 AM. Not an easy course and humidity was out the roof. I felt fine until the last mile which is all up hill. Lagged in a little behind the group and came in about 38 minutes, so about 9:30 miles. I have a long way to go on my running.

Friday, July 8
    Hit the pool and did 1600 yards as follows:

200 Reverse I.M.

3 x 300 free with paddles on 4:15

100 easy

200 dolphin kick on back (with fins)

4 x 25 fly on :45 with fins

100 easy

Saturday, July 9
    Biked a moderate 14 miles, averaging, 18.1 mph. Did this solo on course with rolling hills. No significant wind.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Day 6 of the Return

by , July 2nd, 2011 at 09:56 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Got a short swim in down at the outdoor pool yesterday as follows:

400 Reverse I.M. as follows:
    100 free, 100 breast kick, 100 back, 100 fly kick

200 breast kick

400 kick on side with fins

1000 meters

Early in the evening, did a 2 mile run with son at an easy pace for a total time of 18:45.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Day 5 of the Return

by , June 30th, 2011 at 11:57 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    O.k. I will swim tomorrow so that I have a reason to have a blog on the USMS website. Can't decide where yet, but I will do it!

Today, hit the weight room this afternoon. Encouraged by the progress on legs. If I can do 300 x 4 on the leg press before the end of 2011, I will be psyched. Do not know if that is realistic, but will see how it goes. Anyway, here is the workout I did:

Leg press: warm-up set of 130 x 10, then 170 x 8, 190 x 6, 210 x 4

Calf-raise machine: 2 sets of 65 x 10

Bench press: warm-up set of bar x 10, then 75 x 8, 85 x 6, 95 x 4

Lat hi-row: 90 x 10, 110 x 8, 120 x 6, 130 x 4

Triceps press: 2 sets of 40 x 10

Hammer curls: 2 sets of 10 x 15

Leg raises: 2 sets of 25

Back extensions: 2 sets of 25

Three hours later, did an easy 2 mile run with son. We went at about a 10 minute/mile pace.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Days 3 and 4 of the Return

by , June 29th, 2011 at 10:41 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    The weather kept me out of the pool yesterday, but was able to get in a three mile run/walk yesterday evening.

Today, did a moderate bike ride of 12 miles. Moderate pace on my own, averaging 17.5 mph.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Day 2 of the Return

by , June 27th, 2011 at 10:03 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Got on the bike today for a little bit of "interval" work. Did 3 x 4 miles with a 1 minute recovery between each 4 mile. Did this solo on a course that is rolling hills with a gradual elevation. Hope to reverse later in the week to have a gradual decline.

Anyway, first one was a warm-up with an average of 16.1 mph. Next one was average of 19.0 mph (nice to have a computer to push yourself to go a certain speed). Final one was average of 20.1 mph. Did a 4 mile cool-down. Total ride was 17 miles (includes recovery mileage).

Looking forward to doing the course in reverse at the end of the week and am hoping my averages will be a little higher.

Tomorrow hope to hit the pool.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Return from the couch

by , June 26th, 2011 at 04:37 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Haven't been on a regular workout routine since early last summer. No excuses really. I did need the break though. One thing I am at least encouraged by - had a massage therapist who works exclusively with athletes tell me she could find no "issues" or tightness in my body after giving me an hour massage. I will need this nugget of encouragement as I come to realize just how out of shape I have gotten by taking it easy for one year.

No plans or goals right now. Just want to see if I can stay consistent for two weeks. After two weeks, I might consider signing up for something.

Today, started out a bit crazy by biking around 1 p.m. Yes, it was in the nineties, but I have a fondness for the heat and feel like I actually have gotten something done when I profusely sweat. My bike ride was just 14 miles and I only averaged 16.5 mph. I guess it is at least a start. Hoping to do weights later this afternoon and will update blog if I do.

UPDATE:

Did weights this afternoon. One thing that has perplexed me for some time is why I have never been able to regain the strength in my legs that I had in high school. In upper body, I am not far off at all and may even be as strong. Leg press has been way off ever since I took off three years from working out in my early twenties. In HS, on the leg press, I could do 10 reps of 300 lbs. I usually did 2 or 3 sets. Ever since the break in my early twenties, I am doing well to do 10 reps at 200 or 210. Can't figure it out. Any theories, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Leg press: 130 x 10 (warm-up), 170 x 8, 180 x 6, 200 x 4.

Calf-raise machine: 2 sets of 55 x 10

Squats: 2 sets of bar x 10

Push-ups: 2 sets of 10 with Bosu ball

Lat Hi-rows: 90 x 8, 110 x 6, 130 x 4

Hammer curls: 2 sets of 10 x 15

Seated Leg Raises: 2 sets of 25

Updated June 26th, 2011 at 07:16 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Saturday swim

by , October 24th, 2010 at 10:43 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Got in a quick workout Saturday morning as follows:

200 swim, 200 pull, 200 kick

8 x 50 back pull with paddles on :55

4 x 50 AFAP free with fins on 1:15

100 easy

100 easy

1500 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Wednesday and Thursday

by , October 23rd, 2010 at 12:42 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    On Wednesday, finally got to run after a 7 week break. Broke my toe 7 weeks ago, so I've been careful not to do too much of anything that would delay the healing process. The weather was beautiful, so at lunch, did a 3 mile trail run where I alternated running 5 minutes with walking 2 minutes. Took it pretty easy and finished the run in 30:53.

Still trying to get my motivation to do some solid swimming. The yardage is definitely not there, but took qbrain's advice and did one challenging set in the workout:

300 - 100 rt. arm fly, 100 lt. arm fly, 100 alterate 2 rt/2 lt.

4 x 100 fly kick with board (no fins) - try to hold 1:30 or better

4 x 25 underwaters on :45 - did SDK on back with fins

4 x 25 fly - no fins on :45

200 easy

1100 SCY

Really surprised I made the 100s on 1:30 or better. Definitely took some work. I do have to say, however, that the 4 x 25 fly felt terrible. This may be what motivates me to start doing more. My stroke felt ineffective and weak. Not good when one is just talking about a 25!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Better than doing nothing at all

by , October 20th, 2010 at 12:43 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Any day now, I know I'm going to go back into hardcore mode. Still going at it slow, but I suppose doing a little bit of something is better than nothing at all. On Monday, hit the weight room and did the following:

Bench press: bar x 10, 65 x 10, 85 x 8, 90 x 6

Hi row: 90 x 10, 110 x 8, 120 x 6

Hammer curls: 2 sets of 10 x 10

Leg press: 150 x 10, 170 x 8, 180 x 6

2 sets of 25 leg lifts

2 sets of 25 back extensions
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Better than doing nothing at all

by , October 20th, 2010 at 12:43 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Any day now, I know I'm going to go back into hardcore mode. Still going at it slow, but I suppose doing a little bit of something is better than nothing at all. On Monday, hit the weight room and did the following:

Bench press: bar x 10, 65 x 10, 85 x 8, 90 x 6

Hi row: 90 x 10, 110 x 8, 120 x 6

Leg press: 150 x 10, 170 x 8, 180 x 6

2 sets of 25 leg lifts

2 sets of 25 back extensions
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Slowly getting back to it

by , October 17th, 2010 at 03:49 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    I'm discovering that I now actually prefer to swim at the crack of dawn to get it done before other things get in the way. Still very light on my yardage.

Thursday:
    Swam 1000 SCY

Friday:
    Swam 1200 SCY - 500 free, 300 breast kick, 100 kick on side with fins, 4 x 25 fly with fins on :45, 100 easy

Saturday:
    10 mile bike ride - averaged 17 mph
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Trying to keep up

by , October 13th, 2010 at 12:45 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Still not on track with blogging, but here is what I've done for the last week:

Thursday, October 7:
    Swam 1200 yards

Saturday:
    Swam 1500 yards -

500 kick with fins (alternated 100 dolphin on back with 100 free kick on side)

30 seconds rest

500 pull (alternated 100 free with 100 back)

500 kick with fins (same as first 500)

Sunday:

Bench press: bar x 12, 75 x 8, 85 x 6, 90 x 4

Lat pull-down: 90 x 10, 110 x 8, 130 x 6

Leg press: 150 x 10, 170 x 8, 190 x 6

1 set of 100 bicycles

2 sets of 15 back extensions

Monday:

2 mile hike in the woods
    Tossed and kickedfootball with son for 20 minutes and shot basketball

Tuesday:

Biked to the Georgia Line - Started at Piedmont Welcome Center - Total of 28 miles

Thoughts:

1. I am having a really hard time getting back to swim workouts. Don't really know why, but part of it may be my schedule. I can't train with the kids right now and with no meet until February, I guess it is easy to be lazy.

2. Afraid I'm going to pay for it in February when I do compete. I don't want to train out of fear of being in bad shape when I do compete.

3. Looking for a way to get fired up.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Early October workouts

by , October 5th, 2010 at 11:01 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Yikes! I'm going to have to get back in the habit of blogging again. Here is what I have done since I last blogged:

Saturday, October 2
    Swam 20 minutes (nonstop) in open water

Sunday
    Weights:
    Bench press: bar x 12, 65 x 10, 75 x 8
    Lat pull-down: 90 x 12, 100 x 10, 110 x 8
    Leg press: 130 x 12, 150 x 10, 170 x 8

2 sets of 20 Ls
    2 sets of 20 back extensions

Monday
    2 mile walk/run

Tuesday
    1800 SCY:

Warm-up - 200 swim, 200 pull, 200 kick

4 x 25 with fins: underwaters on :30

4 x 75 dolphin on back with fins on 1:00

100 easy kick

4 x 75 fly drill on 1:30 - first 25 is 4 rt/4 lt/4 full fly strokes, second 25 is 3 rt/3 lt/3 full, last 25 is 2 rt/2 lt/2 full

4 x 50 dolphin kick with board - no fins - on 1:00

4 x 25 fly with fins AFAP

100 easy
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Loving the weather!

by , September 30th, 2010 at 03:50 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Yesterday, I could not resist taking a quick 5 mile spin on my bike at dusk. The weather is so beautiful right now, I can't resist getting outside. I would have done more, but I was sick on Tuesday with a fever of 100. Since I already did a swim at lunch, figured it best to go easy.

Got out at lunch today and rode 10 miles. Kept it moderate, averaging about 17 mph. With my schedule and the good weather, I'm really hoping to get out on my bike in the early afternoon for the next two months. Temps should be nice into early December.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Getting back to it

by , September 29th, 2010 at 04:39 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hard to believe that it has been almost two months since I have blogged. I can officially say that I had a very lazy summer. While I did get a few tiny swims and runs in here and there, most of my activity consisted of walking, hitting golf balls, and bowling. Even did some fishing.

I realized the Auburn meet is only 4.5 months away, so I figured it was time to get back to some focused training. Today, I went down to the Y to swim after lunch and did the following workout:

Warm-up: 200 swim, 200 kick, 200 pull with buoy

4 x 75 kick with fins on1:15 - odds are flutter kick on side, evens are dolphin on back

4 x 50 back with paddles on 1:00

100 easy

Total: 1300 yards

Thoughts:

1. I've lost 5 pounds since Nationals and I have to guess that it is all muscle I have lost. No power whatsoever, but I'm hoping I'll get it back quickly.

2. Weights to start tomorrow. I like the advice Jazz gave to Fort - 3 days a week - 1 push motion, 1 pull motion, and 1 squat motion. My weight-lifting guru friend has the same philosophy. So, seems like pretty sound advice.

3. Broke my toe about 5 weeks ago. Now that it seems pretty healed up, may throw in a some two mile or three mile runs here and there.

4. My big goal for the next year is 2011 LC Nationals. I've got a swimming hole near my house is over 500 yards long and in the narrowest place, 87 yards across. Perfect for some good "long course" training next spring and summer. Of course, I imagine I will be swimming mostly 50s anyway and perhaps 100 free.

5. I toyed with the idea of doing triathlons this past summer. This is a thing of the past. I'm a power athlete and with my various medical conditions, I don't need to be going out doing hardcore endurance training. I will admit, however, that I do enjoy getting on my bike from time to time and going fast. One day this summer, I climbed a mountain on my tri bike. Not an easy task, but was glad I could still climb well.

6. Plan to ease back into things. I suspect I won't be up to 3,000 yards for another month.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. August 2

by , August 3rd, 2010 at 04:10 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Still keeping in line with my lazy mode, hit the Y this afternoon and did a two mile walk on the treadmill. Had intended to run, but saw some folks I had not seen in quite a bit of time, so decided to slow it down on the treadmill so that I could talk to them.

Later on, hit the swimming hole and did the following:

200 easy

10 x 89 (this is the distance as determined by a scope) Odds are free, evens were I.M. (Yes - a 89 yard I.M.).

The laziness will continue for about two more weeks and then, it will be back to real working out. Have to say that my mind and body have loved the easy break.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast