View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

1. July 26 and 27

by , July 28th, 2010 at 11:31 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Monday
    Hit the Y in the evening for a quick 2 mile run on the treadmill. Also did the following:

2 sets of 10 push-ups with Bosu ball

Hammer curls: 2 sets of 10 x 10

1 set of back extensions

Tuesday
    2 mile run at 10 minute per mile pace

1000 yard swim:

400 Reverse I.M
    4 x 50 breast kick on 1:00
    4 x 50 one-arm fly on 1:00
    200 kick with fins
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Weekend workouts

by , July 26th, 2010 at 08:59 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    On Saturday, took a 12.5 mile bike ride with seven 45 second surges.

Sunday, did a 2 mile easy run at a 9:30 per mile pace.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. July 23

by , July 24th, 2010 at 04:53 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Got in a quick 1800 yard workout at the Y

2 x 300: 100 swim/100 kick/100 swim with 30 seconds rest

2 x 300 with fins: 100 kick/100 swim/100 kick with 30 seconds rest

2 x 300: 100 swim/100 kick/100 swim with 30 seconds rest

On Wednesday, took two walks of 1.25 miles. Thursday, I did absolutely nothing which seems to be typical of my summer mode these days.

Updated July 26th, 2010 at 08:57 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. July 20

by , July 21st, 2010 at 01:42 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the pool around 7 this morning and got in a 2,000 SCY workout:

200 swim, 200 kick, 200 free pull

400 kick with fins alternating 100 free kick/100 back kick

3 x 200 back with paddles on 3:00

3 x 100 dolphin kick (no fins) on 1:45

100 easy

Later in the day, hit the swimming hole and did 400 easy yards and then a fly pyramid

25 fly
    50 fly
    100 fly
    50 fly
    25 fly

100 easy

Total: 750 yards

Note that all distances are approximated based on my normal stroke count.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. July 18 & 19

by , July 19th, 2010 at 10:42 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the Y weight room late in the afternoon and did a 2 mile run: 2 minutes easy, 1 minute hard. Followed up the run with a quick dryland workout as follows:

2 sets of 10 push-ups with Bosu ball

2 sets of 100 bicycles

2 sets of 15 back extensions

2 sets of 10 x 10 hammer curls

Early in the evening, did a 16 mile bike ride. Did a few 45 second surges on the flats getting it up to between 27 and 30 mph.

Today did a 3 mile easy run on the road in the later afternoon.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. July 14 -16

by , July 16th, 2010 at 06:35 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Did a 3 mile walk/jog on Wednesday through the cotton fields. On Thursday, did a 2000 yard swim as follows:

4 x 500 on 7:30: Odds are free and evens are kick with fins. On evens, kick is as follows: alternate 100 back kick, 100 free kick with board.

On Friday, did a 2 mile run alterating 2 minutes easy, 1 minute hard.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Tuesday, July 13, 2010

by , July 13th, 2010 at 10:43 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Did an easy swim today down at the Y late this morning. I discovered that during this month, there is lap swim at 10 a.m. Perfect for me since I prefer this time to 5:30 in the morning.

Warm-up: Reverse 400 I.M.

8 x 50 kick on 1:00 - 1-3 breast kick, 4 dolphin kick, 5-7 breast kick, 8 dolphin kick

8 x 50 pull with paddles and buoy on :55

6 x 100 free kick with fins on 1:30

8 x 25 free on :30

4 x 25 fly with fins on :45

100 easy

2200 SCY

In the evening, went for an easy 8.1 mile bike ride.

Updated July 14th, 2010 at 12:43 AM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Lazy summer

by , July 12th, 2010 at 10:38 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Well, I've fallen into the habit of enjoying the lazy days of summer. On Sunday, I took a walk/jog of two miles around the cotton field. Headed to my swimming hole and did some easy sculling on my back. Headed back to the house and went on a four mile bike ride with my neighbor. When I came back from the ride, I practiced my batting. Who knows? I may even join a softball team!

Having the best time ever enjoying the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Saturday, July 10

by , July 11th, 2010 at 05:10 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Got out at a decent time this morning and did a 22 mile ride. Moderate pace of about 18 mph.

On Friday, hit the weightroom and did a quick dryland workout:

3 sets of 15 push-ups with Bosu ball
    1 set of 25 push-ups
    3 sets of 10 assited pull-ups (60 pounds of assist)
    3 sets of 20 leg raises/knee raises
    2 sets of 25 back extensions
    2 sets of hammers curls: 15 x 15

Updated July 12th, 2010 at 10:42 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Double swims

by , July 9th, 2010 at 12:14 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Headed to the Y this morning and did a basic feel for the water workout:

Reverse 400 I.M. (one arm on fly)
    600 kick with fins (200 fly kick on back, 200 back kick, 200 free kick)
    Repeat

2000 SCY

This afternoon, did some sprints with fins in open water. Friends were with me. I've discovered a place to swim that is free of boats and is 75 to 80 yards across. Hopefully, I'll be able to access this spot a year from now when I'm preparing for LC Nationals. The closest LC pool is two hours from here. My newly discovered spot is within walking distance.

Anyway, I warmed up for 15 minutes and then did 2 widths all-out with fins. The water was actually hot, probably too hot to be sprinting in, so I limited it to two. Did a slight cool-down afterwards.

Estimated yardage 800 yards.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. A new training drink

by , July 7th, 2010 at 12:11 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    My workout on Monday was fishing! I caught six bass fish! I suppose I got a little bit of an upper body workout pulling those guys out of the water.

Today, did an 18 mile bike ride. Felt pretty rested after my 2 days off, so was able to do the ride in about 58 minutes. I discovered a wonderful drink today that works well and one I never would have thought of - plain old Coca-Cola. I felt pretty good during the ride, so maybe this is a new training drink for me!

Update: Without even knowing it, I just came across a study mentioning Coca-Cola as the favored sports drink for cyclists! http://www.sportsci.org/news/news9711/martin.html

Updated July 7th, 2010 at 12:17 AM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Summertime fun

by , July 4th, 2010 at 10:45 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    I've been having so much fun being outdoors, I've forgotten to blog! Anyway, Thursday morning I ran a very slow 3.7 miles. Probably ran at a 10 minute per mile pace. On Friday, went to the quarry about 1/2 mile from my house and swam across and back. Kind of freaked out my friends by doing so as it is probably well over 100 feet deep in some places. One of my friends who is good at judging distances said it was probably 500 yards across. So, I guess I will give myself credit for a 1000 yard open water swim. On Saturday, did a 15.8 mile bike ride. Computer is still not fixed, but it took me about 55 minutes.

On Friday, I did squeeze in the following quick dryland workout:

2 sets of 15 push-ups with Bosu ball
    2 sets of 10 assited pull-ups (70 lb. assist)
    2 sets of 25 incline sit-ups
    2 sets of 25 back extensions
    1 set of 100 bicycles
    2 sets of 15 x 15 hammer curls

Took today off. Hope everybody is having a wonderful Fourth!!

Updated July 5th, 2010 at 01:27 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Wednesday, June 30

by , July 1st, 2010 at 12:35 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Did a very easy 16 mile bike today at lunch. Just too hot to go fast, so I enjoyed taking in the scenery. Got chased briefly by a dog, but he was too fat to keep up. Plus, I gave him the old scolding sound that my friends say I should patent. Even makes squirrels run the other way. I've even gotten the chance to use it on bobcats and very young male bulls. Funny the things you contend with when you bike in a rural area.

Updated July 1st, 2010 at 09:05 AM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Tuesday, June 29

by , June 29th, 2010 at 09:57 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the indoor Y pool at lunch today. Water was nice and cool, but air was hot! I nearly fainted when I got out of the pool after my workout. This could have had more to do with the fact that I had a pretty light breakfast. At lunch today, I got on the scale and saw that I had lost 4 pounds in just a matter of a few days. Now that I've lost the 4, I really don't want to lose anymore weight. I wouldn't mind dropping some fat and keeping the muscle, but if I lose another 5 pounds, I think I'll be losing some good muscle. I probably need to be sure that I'm eating enough now that I'm doing this tri stuff. Probably won't be hard to do as I enjoy making blackberry cobbler during the summer. I've already made two this week (one for us and one for a neighbor). Just pulled one out from the oven and there are still blackberries left to ripen and be picked.

Here is the workout I did today:

Warm-up: 200 swim, 100 kick, 100 swim

300, 200, 100 pull with buoy and paddles - 30 seconds rest between each

2 x 200 free on 2:50

4 x 100 free on 1:30 - descend

4 x 100 free descend on 1:30

100 easy

2700 SCY
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Sunday run

by , June 28th, 2010 at 12:10 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the golf course for a 55 minute run this morning. I started my run just 15 minutes before the course opened to the golfers, but fortunately they really didn't start showing up until around 8:30. It was a little humid, so really glad the course had a water break stop I could hit up on.

I have no idea how far I ran, but am guessing somewhere around 5.5 miles as I felt like I was moving along pretty slow at about 10 minute per mile pace. Our neighbor was sitting out in the backyard this evening and said that I looked tired. This endurance stuff is tough on a lazy ol' sprinter like myself.

Updated June 28th, 2010 at 01:09 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Saturday, June 26

by , June 26th, 2010 at 06:00 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the road about 11:30 and did a 16.3 mile bike ride as follows: 6.3 miles easy, 6.3 miles hard, 3.7 miles easy. On the first easy part, averaged 17.1 mph. On hard part, averaged 20.1 mph. Didn't keep track of what I averaged on last easy part, but needless to say, it was very easy.

Immediately after the ride, I did a very easy 1 mile run at a 9 minute per mile pace. It was scorching by this time, so I was moving pretty slow.

Saw a really good website the other day on how to not get hit by cars while on your bike. I really made sure to be mindful of some of the tips today, especially with regards to cars entering the main road from a side street. The tips are great and can be seen at http://bicyclesafe.com/
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Dodging cars

by , June 24th, 2010 at 03:32 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Headed out on my 16.2 mile route this morning. Had a little bit of a breeze going out and a tiny one with me coming back. My legs were a little tired from the run yesterday, so did not feel as easy as the ride I took Tuesday. Still, I was pleased that I averaged right at 18 mph (54:01 for the ride).

The last mile is fairly flat, so I decided to turn it on and did it in about 2:33 which is 24 mph. I think the driver of a car underestimated how fast I was going (that or she plain did not see me) when she came up a side street and cut right in front of me. I was right up next to her in no time. It's times like these that I wouldn't mind having a gun on me so that I could shoot out the back tire of idiots that do such things. Of course that would escalate things as many folks around here probably carry a gun anyway. Funny thing was, it was on a very quiet road with no traffic. I'm talking one car every 30 minutes at most.

On the busier roads, drivers seem to be more mindful and give me plenty of room when they pass. Well, one thing for sure, you always have to be on the look-out for absent-minded drivers, dogs, etc.

I always dress in very bright clothing and wear tank tops so that it is clear that I am female. Say what you want to about rednecks, but they have honor. No good redneck is going to run a woman off the road. Yesterday's truck was an exception in passing so close to me. Maybe it was a woman. I can't speak about redneck women. Today, a group of fellows passed me in a truck and waved at me. I smiled and waved back.

Knock on wood, I hope my theory continues to be right. I have no desire to bike in the grass.

Updated June 24th, 2010 at 03:38 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Swim, dreadmill, and a few push-ups

by , June 23rd, 2010 at 06:42 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Swam this morning at 7 a.m. This may be manageable. Swimming at 5 feels like I'm swimming in my sleep. Anyway, here is the workout I did:

Warm-up: 100 swim, 100 kick, 100 pull, 100 swim

6 x 100 pull with paddles and pull buoy on 1:25

4 x 100 free descend on 1:45

4 x 25 fly with fins on :45

100 easy

2000 SCY

Hit the treadmill around 3 this afternoon and did an easy run as follows:

Mile 1 - 5.5 mph
    Mile 2 - 6.0 mph
    Miles 3 and 4 - 6.5 mph

Followed run with 2 sets of 10 push-ups with Bosu ball. Also did 2 sets of hammer curls: 10 x 15.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. The Transition

by , June 22nd, 2010 at 11:06 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    I'm convinced that the transition from a sprinter (and a lazy one at that) to an endurance-oriented individual is more mental than physical. In contemplating the triathlon, I'm having to orient myself to be constantly moving for 45 minutes to an hour without a break. Quite a change from my swim workouts with sets of 300 yards.

I've decided I'm not going to let the heat deter me or give me an excuse to be lazy. I refuse to get up at 5 to do my workouts though. I would rather do a workout at 10 a.m. or 11 a.m. in 90 degrees than work out in the morning with that "I've been hit by a truck" feeling I always have when I work out before 9 a.m.

So, at 11 a.m. this morning, I set out solo on my ride of 16.2 miles. The course is a mix of flats, rolling hills, and a decent climb. As I'm trying to adjust to the triathlon training routine, I took it easy and did the ride in about 55 minutes (17.67 mph). Despite almost getting run off the road by a wide-backed pick-up truck who gave me about a foot when he passed me, the ride was very enjoyable.

I was somewhat surprised I went this fast as the whole ride felt like a leisurely bike ride. Felt totally different from when I run. There is no such thing as a nice easy, leisurely-feeling run for me, no matter what speed I go. I suspect if I were skinny, I'd feel better on the run. Being skinny is not likely to happen anytime soon, so I've resigned myself to the fact that anything faster than a walk is not going to feel great.

If I do any triathlons this summer, I'm sure I'll use the same strategy I've always used and put my eggs in the swim and bike baskets. I'll just try to hold on for the run. Kind of reminds me of the I.M. Pacing myself on the swim and the bike so I'll have something left for the run would be like me holding back on my fly and my back to have a decent breaststroke on the I.M. I'll never be good at running or breaststroke no matter how much time I put in on either.

If I do a tri this summer, it will have been over 5 years since I "raced" one. The last one I actually completed was four years ago. I had not been able to run due to my POTS, but wanted to do a particular tri because it looked like fun, so as planned, I went hard on the swim and bike, and walked the run.

This time, I don't want to do the triathlon unless I feel like I can run the run. If I don't feel ready, I won't do the triathlon. In the meantime, I will have enjoyed doing some different training than what I was doing six months ago.

Updated June 22nd, 2010 at 11:23 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Back from the beach

by , June 22nd, 2010 at 12:18 AM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Was at the beach from Wednesday, June 16 until today. I blogged Wednesday and Thursdays runs at the beach. Wednesay's run was actually done on the beach without shoes. Thursday's run was done on the bike/run path along the road and definitely with shoes. Took Friday and Saturday off.

Sunday, went to the Destin Y and did the following:

Warm-up: 400 Reverse I.M.
    8 x 50 Free on 1:00

10 x 100 Free on 20 seconds rest - held 1:10

200 easy

2000 SCY

In the early evening, went for a 40 minute run on the beach without shoes.

A month after Nationals, and I seem to have only put on a pound. Interestingly enough, I see that my upper arms have shrunk while my hips seems to have grown. I had thought about starting on a triathlon program this week to do a sprint tri in August. Was kind of looking forward to doing some tough workouts and hoping to drop a few pounds. With the heat, I can't seem to get very excited about getting in shape to do triathlons. Plus, I seem to have kept my various medical ailments under control with what I've been doing up until this point. Not really sure I want to risk "medical stability" by taking on a triathlon trainng program.

I need some kind of goal to shoot for to get me motivated to work out. Guess I'll sleep on it and figure things out tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast