Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by swimmieAvsFan
    One of my best seasons for LCM I trained 95% SCY (with no backstroke flags too). Granted, I was a youngin' still, but it was leaps and bounds better on the whole compared to just about any season since then. I trained a lot of bizarre distances, like 125s and 250s to try and compensate.

I also think Wook's stretch cord idea is a great one- we've done that at UMd on weeks when the pool is switched back to SCY in the summer for camps, and it seems easier to get back into the groove when we go back to LCM.
    Yes, I can and will do longer distances. It's just that I'm almost incapable of not kicking off a wall. I've only got 7 weeks until LCM Zones and I'll probably be pretty wasted for a few days after nationals, so I don't have much time. I have to figure out when the Rockville pool opens. Probably not until after Memorial Day. I'm not sure if Mason is set up long course during rec swim either; I would guess not.

I feel like my last two long course seasons have been sub-par with 50s feeling like marathons. Unlike short course where I've smashed my tech suit bests, I'm not very near them in long course (of course my short course PRs are due to adding even more kicking). Last year, I had the power outage debacle and didn't sleep or get in the pool before Omaha. I feel snakebit in long course!
    Updated May 2nd, 2013 at 04:10 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    If that is the case, when you have a lane to yourself, you might want to use one fo the stretch cords that allow you to only go about halfway down the pool. Swim or sprint out to the middle of the pool. From there, try holding your place in the pool or staying just in front of the spot for 15-45 seconds.

I use to believe that one had to train long course to race long course. Last year, I didn't train any long course and swam pretty well in lcm meets.
    Great idea! I had completely forgotten about my bungee cord. That is a surefire way to work on endurance. It is pretty exhausting though, with the added resistance.
    One of my best seasons for LCM I trained 95% SCY (with no backstroke flags too). Granted, I was a youngin' still, but it was leaps and bounds better on the whole compared to just about any season since then. I trained a lot of bizarre distances, like 125s and 250s to try and compensate.

I also think Wook's stretch cord idea is a great one- we've done that at UMd on weeks when the pool is switched back to SCY in the summer for camps, and it seems easier to get back into the groove when we go back to LCM.
    If that is the case, when you have a lane to yourself, you might want to use one fo the stretch cords that allow you to only go about halfway down the pool. Swim or sprint out to the middle of the pool. From there, try holding your place in the pool or staying just in front of the spot for 15-45 seconds.

I use to believe that one had to train long course to race long course. Last year, I didn't train any long course and swam pretty well in lcm meets.
    I have been working on DPS/ more efficient free. Our coach told me I had the slowest turnover of everyone in my heat of the 100 free, at least on the first 50. Hopefully, I'm headed in the right direction. Mostly, I just need a long course pool. My best long course season I was training a lot with my team.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Practicing in short course doesn't seem to cut it for me in long course. I may play around with high reps in the gym. Not sure how much that will transfer though.
    One possibility to practice your speedwork with less SPL, and this would also be a good development for your overall stroke management across all competitive race courses. While it is always best to do LCM prep for LCM racing, I believe doing some fast DPS work discovering the range of SPL that you can use with some 'transfer' for taking it out in a 'longer' race such as LCM 50 or a 100 in any course.

Not that FR is anything like the breaststroke, note that in Kevin's Cordes' record setting 200 breaststroke, his SPL was something like 3-4-4-4-4-4-5-6 per 25. I would speculate there is a correlation among all the strokes relative to individual stroke and underwater skills toward maximizing efficient speed with a strong tempo finish for effective racing strategy in a specific course.
    Yes, Frank's right. Because my swimming is so kick dominant, long course is tough for me. Last year, I crashed and burned on 50s sprinting right from the start. Literally, my long course 50 back has about the same # of strokes as my SCY 100 back. I would like to improve last year's 50s at the Zones meet. But I'm just not sure I'll be able to get enough long course swimming in before then ... Practicing in short course doesn't seem to cut it for me in long course. I may play around with high reps in the gym. Not sure how much that will transfer though.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Arm endurance? How do you develop "arm endurance"
    Arm endurance - when you get your arms to endure swimming fast for LCM 50 to 100.
    Arm endurance? How do you develop "arm endurance"
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Excellent photos! The mother-daughter is classic, and also the relay with the guys as bookends is a good one too. Your speed in the taper is coming along well.
    Thanks! That was our fourth meet together and first picture. I need to take more at Nationals.
    Excellent photos! The mother-daughter is classic, and also the relay with the guys as bookends is a good one too. Your speed in the taper is coming along well.
    I liked what Kevin Doak had to say in Swimmer's Center Lane feature -- you'll get faster by doing lots of 12.5s @ 1:00 with "platinum speed." I've done a lot more of these since I started writing the HIT workouts and feel it's made a big difference for me.
    I read that too, and can say from recent experience it worked for me. When I was swimming all SCY earlier this year, on the weekends I did lots of those really fast 12.5 in our little community pool at Catalina Isle. At that time my speed and intervals swims improved greatly. After Pan PACs in June I plan to restart that type of speedwork.
    Great! One of my biggest fears about leaving here is trying to replace "my people."
    it takes a village!
    Quote Originally Posted by magick17
    I like the 3rd picture..technically I have no idea..but it's a cool perspective of the fly.
    It is kinda cool. I like that my stroke looks long and powerful there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Boy do I have the masseuse for you!
    Great! One of my biggest fears about leaving here is trying to replace "my people."
    I like the 3rd picture..technically I have no idea..but it's a cool perspective of the fly.
    Boy do I have the masseuse for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Clearly you can be confident and patient in your circumstance and the current marketplace. Perhaps some buyers think an old house is always negotiable. But in your case, the property is very well preserved, maintained and most importantly, it is all very well documented and provable. So the more inspections, etc., that buyers attempt simply adds more evidence towards the excellent quality and value of your property.

Prospective buyers that truly and sincerely desire this house in Vienna with character, pool, pool club, they must be prepared to buy at or very close to the listing price and proceed forward in good faith. If the price is not right, look at other properties and be realistic. That is the way it is.
    Yes, I think patience is called for right now. I'm told properties in my zip code are selling for between 96-98% of the asking price. Perhaps not quite so for properties in our price range. But still, no reason to be hasty yet. It's possible we have to adjust our expectations down the line. Perhaps all buyers will want the new center hall colonials that populate our area. We'll see.
    They are pre-approved. No idea why they'd need a contingency this time around since they've had a pool inspector, a home inspector, an appraiser and 3 engineers in the house as of today. They want a house in Vienna with character, pool, pool club. We're literally the only one on the market. They know we don't give a hoot what their latest contractor has to say.

Our house has been on the market less than two weeks. It would be nice, very nice, to get a really nice K now. But selling in July would be just fine too.
    Clearly you can be confident and patient in your circumstance and the current marketplace. Perhaps some buyers think an old house is always negotiable. But in your case, the property is very well preserved, maintained and most importantly, it is all very well documented and provable. So the more inspections, etc., that buyers attempt simply adds more evidence towards the excellent quality and value of your property.

Prospective buyers that truly and sincerely desire this house in Vienna with character, pool, pool club, they must be prepared to buy at or very close to the listing price and proceed forward in good faith. If the price is not right, look at other properties and be realistic. That is the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs
    Maybe it's different in VA, but up here, a CO is what you get at the completion of new construction, whether residential or commercial. You can't sell if you don't have one, but having one doesn't prohibit people from trying to negotiate over the condition of the house, particularly if the house isn't new.

Your buyers sound truly crazy. Now that you have two reports that the house is structurally sound, I'd be inclined to tell them they can knock themselves out, but the price is the price is the price.
    We have a 1920 house.

I think that's the message they've gotten. We have another buyer trying to low ball us (offer and counteroffer) and that's the message we've given them too. There's no need to take a price hit right now in a hot market with low inventory.