Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    So about how long did it take you to do a workout like that? No one bothered you at all?

Hope you have a great trip! Sounds really great!
    It took about an hour and 20 minutes tops. My sprint workouts usually take and hour and a half.

No one bothered me. The pool is usually dead at rec swim during the day, even at lunch hour. They don't sell memberships to the public, so are missing a source of revenue. I've always had my own lane in the deep end with a block.
    So about how long did it take you to do a workout like that? No one bothered you at all?

Hope you have a great trip! Sounds really great!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    I'm gonna keep this under my hat. My son comes back from his mission (2 years no swimming!) in early August & has to report to his college team 2 weeks later. That would be something he wouldn't want to have hanging over his head, on top of everything else!!

Sounds like I'm gonna want a copy of your Italian itinerary - we've been planning on going there for a while & I think it's only 3-4 vacations away (meaning 2 summers or so).
    Yikes two years out of the pool?! Too bad he doesn't have a little more time to et in shape.

I love Italy. There's no where you won't love. Well, unless you rent a dusky villa with scorpions (true story of a friend). We're doing Venice-Verona-Padua-Athens-Olympus-Rhodes-Mykonos-Santorini-Ephesus-Venice. I know I won't want to come home!
    recent article on Swimswam about college recruiting and it said many coaches look to see if a swimmer can hold 5 x 100 kick @ 1:30.
    I'm gonna keep this under my hat. My son comes back from his mission (2 years no swimming!) in early August & has to report to his college team 2 weeks later. That would be something he wouldn't want to have hanging over his head, on top of everything else!!

Sounds like I'm gonna want a copy of your Italian itinerary - we've been planning on going there for a while & I think it's only 3-4 vacations away (meaning 2 summers or so).
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Very jealous of your Venice trip. I had heard so many people trash it before I went there, but we rented a small apartment tucked away from the hustle & bustle and just loved it. I really want to go back there. Enjoy.
    I've heard people rave about it. But you definitely have to get off the beaten path. I'm more excited about the Venice part of the trip. Mr. Fort and Lil Fort are more excited about Greece.
    Very jealous of your Venice trip. I had heard so many people trash it before I went there, but we rented a small apartment tucked away from the hustle & bustle and just loved it. I really want to go back there. Enjoy.
    Wish I could jump in your suitcase & come too! Sounds so fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Indeed, it was pretty clear from Becca Mann's blog after training with MA that he is doing long rest sprints and that his USRPT sessions add up to a lot of swimming.
    I must admit the idea of doing multi USRPT sessions a day (2 max, I guess) sounds intriguing. Not sure I could really fit that into the schedule though ... but I wish I could.

Yeah, that once proposed 4 x 6 x 12.5 @: short rest for 50s was just plain dumb.
    Michael Andrew is apparently doing 3 workouts a day, so not such super low yardage as was suggested by someone on the forum. He also uses mega rest HIT for his 50 work, not USRPT.
    Indeed, it was pretty clear from Becca Mann's blog after training with MA that he is doing long rest sprints and that his USRPT sessions add up to a lot of swimming.

I never thought USRPT had a thing to do with 50s ...
    For sure. I've been playing with USRPT-ish sets quit a lot. My instinct is that they are great for training for SCY 100s. 50s, not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    Yes, I saw that article too. The whole thing that was originally hyped seemed rather shady to me, but then again I was "raised" by Skip Kenny and Richard Quick, so I learned to swim a lot of yardage twice daily, and my son's old coach of the same mindset. I still think that you have to do HIIT type workouts or USRPT to get the feel of racing though - in addition to putting in the yardage. To each his own. Have fun in Europe! Which countries are you going to visit?
    Yes! You can't swim fast in a meet without swimming fast in practice.

Italy, Greece, and Ephesus in Turkey.
    Yes, I saw that article too. The whole thing that was originally hyped seemed rather shady to me, but then again I was "raised" by Skip Kenny and Richard Quick, so I learned to swim a lot of yardage twice daily, and my son's old coach of the same mindset. I still think that you have to do HIIT type workouts or USRPT to get the feel of racing though - in addition to putting in the yardage. To each his own. Have fun in Europe! Which countries are you going to visit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    which restaurant?
    We went to Sienna -- delicious. We've also recently been to Wild Rosemary, Eleven, Casbah, Meat & Potatoes and Soba Lounge.
    which restaurant?
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Shoulder Ouchie just thinking about that
    Which part sounded ouchie?
    Shoulder Ouchie just thinking about that
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Maybe just give him Greg Danner's workout from today
    ha! Not many masters can do those kids' workouts!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Leslie, when I suffered the detached retina several seasons back, I had to lie around and barely move for 10 days, then swim very slow (no flip turns) for the first week or so when I could finally get back in the water. Three months later, I had some of my best times in years in the 500 and 1000. Sometimes I think a complete break does the body good. Not that I plan to take one myself, unless I have to. You have to, so don't feel guilty--I think it's going to let every little micro trauma heal up, and when you return, your next rounds of glory will be unprecedented.

And Mark? I had planned to use Leslie's practice for everyone else, but assign you to 4 x 1650 on the 20:00. That may have been too much rest, but I guess I am just the nuturing type.
    Yes, I'm not going to be stressed about taking time off from swimming. I think you're right about that. Let the body heal. However, it will keep me from swimming nationals. I don't want to compete in nationals and give a subpar performance.

Mark only likes short rest, so speed day is not for him. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    And Mark? I had planned to use Leslie's practice for everyone else, but assign you to 4 x 1650 on the 20:00. That may have been too much rest, but I guess I am just the nuturing type.
    Maybe just give him Greg Danner's workout from today
    Leslie, when I suffered the detached retina several seasons back, I had to lie around and barely move for 10 days, then swim very slow (no flip turns) for the first week or so when I could finally get back in the water. Three months later, I had some of my best times in years in the 500 and 1000. Sometimes I think a complete break does the body good. Not that I plan to take one myself, unless I have to. You have to, so don't feel guilty--I think it's going to let every little micro trauma heal up, and when you return, your next rounds of glory will be unprecedented.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Treadmill ='s UGH
    Have a great weekend. Who's gonna takeover practices when ur on vacation? Oh and thanks for writing tonight's workout for jimby! You know he would have come up with something even I would have rejected.
    Bill White will be coaching for me while I'm in Europe. Jimby will coach the Sewickley practices for him. I feel really lucky to have him.

Treadmills are ugh, but I was watching season 2 of Orange is the New Black, so not as terrible.