Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Maybe just give him Greg Danner's workout from today
    ha! Not many masters can do those kids' workouts!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Leslie, when I suffered the detached retina several seasons back, I had to lie around and barely move for 10 days, then swim very slow (no flip turns) for the first week or so when I could finally get back in the water. Three months later, I had some of my best times in years in the 500 and 1000. Sometimes I think a complete break does the body good. Not that I plan to take one myself, unless I have to. You have to, so don't feel guilty--I think it's going to let every little micro trauma heal up, and when you return, your next rounds of glory will be unprecedented.

And Mark? I had planned to use Leslie's practice for everyone else, but assign you to 4 x 1650 on the 20:00. That may have been too much rest, but I guess I am just the nuturing type.
    Yes, I'm not going to be stressed about taking time off from swimming. I think you're right about that. Let the body heal. However, it will keep me from swimming nationals. I don't want to compete in nationals and give a subpar performance.

Mark only likes short rest, so speed day is not for him. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    And Mark? I had planned to use Leslie's practice for everyone else, but assign you to 4 x 1650 on the 20:00. That may have been too much rest, but I guess I am just the nuturing type.
    Maybe just give him Greg Danner's workout from today
    Leslie, when I suffered the detached retina several seasons back, I had to lie around and barely move for 10 days, then swim very slow (no flip turns) for the first week or so when I could finally get back in the water. Three months later, I had some of my best times in years in the 500 and 1000. Sometimes I think a complete break does the body good. Not that I plan to take one myself, unless I have to. You have to, so don't feel guilty--I think it's going to let every little micro trauma heal up, and when you return, your next rounds of glory will be unprecedented.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Treadmill ='s UGH
    Have a great weekend. Who's gonna takeover practices when ur on vacation? Oh and thanks for writing tonight's workout for jimby! You know he would have come up with something even I would have rejected.
    Bill White will be coaching for me while I'm in Europe. Jimby will coach the Sewickley practices for him. I feel really lucky to have him.

Treadmills are ugh, but I was watching season 2 of Orange is the New Black, so not as terrible.
    Treadmill ='s UGH
    Have a great weekend. Who's gonna takeover practices when ur on vacation? Oh and thanks for writing tonight's workout for jimby! You know he would have come up with something even I would have rejected.
    I like this set to do on my own. I'd probably 1/2 everything, and only warm up 200 or 400 then get into it to cut down on yardage but also to keep it pretty short.
    e told me that all seniors in his fraternity (he's President) get a fully paid spring break trip. Seems they get major funding from the CEO of Ebay, who was a member. Pretty cushy!
    Pretty cool, but even better if the CEO gets them interviewed for jobs when they graduate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    I love it! I think I feel like that at least once every 2 weeks.
    How far away is your next meet? Summer Nationals? That's not that far away. It's all relative! Life goes by in a blur for me sometimes. Keep at it!
    It's probably fairly normal for adults to feel that way now and again ...

I'm not planning on summer nationals. With a 2 1/2 week vacation in the middle of the summer where I won't swim at all, I won't be in any kind of shape for long course nationals. I've tried that in the past with some minimal swimming on a long vaca, but I've never been happy with the results. Long course is just too hard. So my next meet probably isn't until October -- and that's a long way away!
    feeling slothful and disengaged
    I love it! I think I feel like that at least once every 2 weeks.
    How far away is your next meet? Summer Nationals? That's not that far away. It's all relative! Life goes by in a blur for me sometimes. Keep at it!
    Quote Originally Posted by 200free
    Congrats on being awarded Potomac Valley SCY swimmer of the year and SCM top performer of the year!!! Since I'm guessing you're not in town you should send Ali to the picnic to pick up your awards.

Thanks Cheryl! Ali was planning to go, but I think her boyfriend may be coming to town for a visit today.
    Congrats on being awarded Potomac Valley SCY swimmer of the year and SCM top performer of the year!!! Since I'm guessing you're not in town you should send Ali to the picnic to pick up your awards.

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Where are you going on vacation? Hopefully somewhere fun! Will you be able to swim?

Too bad about that Buffalo meet. I'd be a bit pissed if I had planned to travel in for something like that...

I've been looking at your blog and occasionally the USRPT thread and keep thinking that I should do some of that to help my breaststroke. I need to do a couple doubles to focus on that. I'm sure that isn't the intent of the whole program, but I enjoy the team swims, even if it is sometimes donkey distance.
    Yeah, I would enjoy some team swims from time to time too. But USRPT is not too bad to do on your own. I think it's just dandy for stroke 100s.

Yeah, I'm bummed about Buffalo. And I have to eat the money for a non-refundable hotel room. Grr

Going to Italy and Greece and Ephesus for 2 1/2 weeks. Don't expect to swim much. That's why I think I am done for long course this year. The Buffalo meet was my only shot.
    Where are you going on vacation? Hopefully somewhere fun! Will you be able to swim?

Too bad about that Buffalo meet. I'd be a bit pissed if I had planned to travel in for something like that...

I've been looking at your blog and occasionally the USRPT thread and keep thinking that I should do some of that to help my breaststroke. I need to do a couple doubles to focus on that. I'm sure that isn't the intent of the whole program, but I enjoy the team swims, even if it is sometimes donkey distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Do you do much training with a monofin? Do you feel that a monofin helps your sdk's?
    I do have one, the Finis Shooter MF. I used to use it pretty frequently and I think it did help my SDKs. I haven't used it much recently. It's stretched out from use and a bit big now.
    Do you do much training with a monofin? Do you feel that a monofin helps your sdk's?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I had editing problems, as well, but my problems were limited to not copying comments when I wanted to comment on someone's comment. Kind of weird.
    Jim says the problem should be cleared up now.
    I had editing problems, as well, but my problems were limited to not copying comments when I wanted to comment on someone's comment. Kind of weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I too had editing problems but mine was the opposite to Forts in that my iPad did not format correctly yet my PC was fine. I notice I did not get the format bar in the editor and it's almost like JavaScript has been turned off.
    Exactly the format bar is gone. I will send a PM to Jim Matysek.
    I too had editing problems but mine was the opposite to Forts in that my iPad did not format correctly yet my PC was fine. I notice I did not get the format bar in the editor and it's almost like JavaScript has been turned off.