Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Looks like a great workout to me! Welcome to the animal lane. I suspect PWB would be proud of you.
    I'm hoping he didn't read my blog! Otherwise, I will hearing about the 200 IM again. The 200s were a hard kick endurance set.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Last week, I did 11 x 200! I will probably only train with then through August because Team Pitt has practice the same nights and same time. Then it's back to training on my own. They do have more sprinty practices on occasion.
    Looks like a great workout to me! Welcome to the animal lane. I suspect PWB would be proud of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Was this the set that the coach gave to everyone, or just the fastest lanes?

Maybe with fins I could make 6 x 50 @ :35, but I don't think I could being sandwiched between 10 x 50 @ :40.

Something about that set is odd to me. More like a short rest set for those who don't want to swim distance. Maybe it would be good training for 200s, I don't know.
    The intervals were for the fast lane. I think only Bill White made it doing free by a second or so. I was coming in on 31-32. I'm so not used to that type of training it was a bit of a shock to the system!

Even distance swimmers swim 50s. It was just a standard short rest descending interval set, I think. Bill tries to mix up the distances swum. The practice is only an hour, so there's only so much you can do in that time. I def prefer 90 minute practices where you can do some quality and recovery swimming too.
    Was this the set that the coach gave to everyone, or just the fastest lanes?

Maybe with fins I could make 6 x 50 @ :35, but I don't think I could being sandwiched between 10 x 50 @ :40.

Something about that set is odd to me. More like a short rest set for those who don't want to swim distance. Maybe it would be good training for 200s, I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Wow Fort. I was wondering how you were going to make out at master's practices amongst the animals - hopefully they will have some sprint workouts too. Keep that up and you may not need the drylands! Congrats on the coaching assignment, should be a lot of fun, and hope the house renovations get done soon.
    Last week, I did 11 x 200! I will probably only train with then through August because Team Pitt has practice the same nights and same time. Then it's back to training on my own. They do have more sprinty practices on occasion.
    Wow Fort. I was wondering how you were going to make out at master's practices amongst the animals - hopefully they will have some sprint workouts too. Keep that up and you may not need the drylands! Congrats on the coaching assignment, should be a lot of fun, and hope the house renovations get done soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    It does suck.

With all this talk of north vs south hills, I have no idea what's in the east. Fox Chapel?

We are going to Kennywood next weekend!
    its fun reading your discovery of pittsburgh...so east pittsburgh, I believe would be homestead, wilkinsburg, turtle creek, Churchill, McKeesport, monroeville area....kennywood!! ( oh the sights, the worst of pittsburgh, neck tattooes and all).. The people watching on somedays can be worth the price of admission.

oh and don't confused the south side with the south hills & north side & the north hillS!! But the north shore is on the north side!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Congrats on the new job! That is not a bad idea for pool access. Well, It helped that coached some woman who got some World Masters Records in the last few years! What is her name, ?
    Haha. That is my number one job credential.
    Congrats on the new job! That is not a bad idea for pool access. Well, It helped that coached some woman who got some World Masters Records in the last few years! What is her name, ?
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    That's great that you'll be coaching! I bet you'll enjoy it. Lucky Pitt swimmers!
    I think I will really like it. I just have to get used to the triathletes.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    HOORAY! Hopefully I can come to a Team PITT workout when I come visit! Although coming from the East suburbs is like trying to get into Mordor these days....Squirrel Hill tunnel is always closed! Mt.Lebo pool really sucks because it's so shallow. It will be nice to be at the Pitt pool.
    It does suck.

With all this talk of north vs south hills, I have no idea what's in the east. Fox Chapel?

We are going to Kennywood next weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by magick17;
    I have to laugh at your description of lake Lebo..ow swimmers love it though
    Lake Lebo seems pretty accurate. Definitely not a real training pool. Hope to meet you someday soon!
    Updated August 3rd, 2013 at 10:09 AM by The Fortress
    HOORAY! Hopefully I can come to a Team PITT workout when I come visit! Although coming from the East suburbs is like trying to get into Mordor these days....Squirrel Hill tunnel is always closed! Mt.Lebo pool really sucks because it's so shallow. It will be nice to be at the Pitt pool.
    I have to laugh at your description of lake Lebo..ow swimmers love it though
    That's great that you'll be coaching! I bet you'll enjoy it. Lucky Pitt swimmers!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk
    "You can't get there from here" is a very popular response to folks asking for directions in this city. When I would bring my out of town friends home from college (Downtown Pittsburgh to the near suburbs, about 7 miles) I would always vary the route, just to mess with them . You will find, too, that folks from the South Hills (where you live) and the North Hills (where you swim) don't often mix. Something about having to cross over more than one river to get places being taboo. It's a quirky town, but still a great place to live.
    Ha!

My only friends in town, so far, live in the north hills! Having driven all over nothern virginia and md for all my kids' sports, Sewickley seems downright close. It took me longer to get to Mason to swim. However, I am hoping not to swim all the time in the north hills and more at Pitt.
    "You can't get there from here" is a very popular response to folks asking for directions in this city. When I would bring my out of town friends home from college (Downtown Pittsburgh to the near suburbs, about 7 miles) I would always vary the route, just to mess with them . You will find, too, that folks from the South Hills (where you live) and the North Hills (where you swim) don't often mix. Something about having to cross over more than one river to get places being taboo. It's a quirky town, but still a great place to live.
    Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer
    I have what I modestly think is an excellent sense of direction, but I can barely tell north from south in Pittsburgh. My parents and my brother live maybe a mile apart and have for like 10 years and I think I could still get lost between their houses.
    That's a funny story. Most people do seem to get lost in Pittsburgh. I can't tell north from south in any event, so I anticipate serious directional difficulty.
    I have what I modestly think is an excellent sense of direction, but I can barely tell north from south in Pittsburgh. My parents and my brother live maybe a mile apart and have for like 10 years and I think I could still get lost between their houses.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Are you sure it isn't Jimby throwing a curse at you?
    Haha! I was under the impression that he was happy to have me at his practices.