Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Your lost comment became a double post.

As it appears your family has been multi-sport, multi-athlete for many years now, the unfortunate time conflict is most likely more the norm in your case...

For many years I was a 5:30am type lap swimmer, and just like I finally realized the high exposure and risk of riding a bicycle in high traffic areas, retiring from that kind of activity by early 30s, I also eventually gave up the early am and/or late pm swimming to better take of my family and myself. It is mid-morning or noontime swimming for me.
    Water Rat goes to bed super early. But I suspect many of the 5:30 am types are quite sleep deprived. I did sleep deprived for many years. I can't do it anymore! And it is much healthier to get adequate sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    We r mostly morning masochists. A few r night owls. I think u know something about that. I get too hungry by noon!
    Do I remember that there are some workouts at U of Pitt at noon?

I got up at 9:00 am today.
    We r mostly morning masochists. A few r night owls. I think u know something about that. I get too hungry by noon!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Hmm what happened to my comment?

Lil Fort and I will miss summer league champs bc well be in NC fir track nationals. Teen Fort will be on her own for her last hurrah.

Apparently, most Pitt swimmers are maochists or early birds. Noon is early enough for me! At least Jimby is on my schedule!
    Your lost comment became a double post.

As it appears your family has been multi-sport, multi-athlete for many years now, the unfortunate time conflict is most likely more the norm in your case...

For many years I was a 5:30am type lap swimmer, and just like I finally realized the high exposure and risk of riding a bicycle in high traffic areas, retiring from that kind of activity by early 30s, I also eventually gave up the early am and/or late pm swimming to better take care of my family and myself. It is mid-morning or noontime swimming for me.
    Updated July 1st, 2013 at 08:02 PM by fdtotten

Lil Fort and I will miss summer league champs bc well be in NC fir track nationals. Teen Fort will be on her own for her last hurrah.

Apparently, most Pitt swimmers are maochists or early birds. Noon is early enough for me! At least Jimby is on my schedule!

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    20 days? does that mean you will travel back to DC for the summer league champs?Should I expect you at 5:15am at Lebo's pool on the 21st?
    20 days? does that mean you will travel back to DC for the summer league champs?
    Should I expect you at 5:15am at Lebo's pool on the 21st?
    Quote Originally Posted by eric.carlson
    Frank -

FWIW I got a pair of the lovely lime green size 11-13 and they are just slightly small on me although I usually wear size 11 1/2 shoes
    Thanks for that information. At men's foot size 8.5, I was thinking the yellow 7-9 fins would fit me slightly small, but that the red 9-11 fins may fit me slightly large. I plan to use them mostly for quality fast training, where a loose fit may come off. But now I lean towards the red 9-11 fins, as Fort with women's size 8 feet appears to be comfortable with fins yellow 7-9.
    A :31/50 BK is awesome with either 30 and/or 15 DKs! The 9x50 on :50 holding 35-36 w/fins-paddles is an excellent LCM effort too! I think you are using #412 Water Gear Fins, which I am looking to acquire in size 7-9 (yellow). I was wondering what size you wear and how the fit is for you.
    Frank -

FWIW I got a pair of the lovely lime green size 11-13 and they are just slightly small on me although I usually wear size 11 1/2 shoes
    A :31/50 BK is awesome with either 30 and/or 15 DKs! The 9x50 on :50 holding 35-36 w/fins-paddles is an excellent LCM effort too! I think you are using #412 Water Gear Fins, which I am looking to acquire in size 7-9 (yellow). I was wondering what size you wear and how the fit is for you.
    Thanks Frank!

I wear size 7-9 medium Water Gear fins. They fit me great, almost perfect size for a womens size 8. I wasn't using them during practice though. I had to borrow a pair of fins (forgot to put mine back in the bag after the meet) and they were floppy. Horrors!
    It was a backstroke start. But not legal, under 25 meters. Still pretty fast coming after 2500 neters or so.
    Clarify please - so the 50 back - was it legal at the 15m mark? And did you do a backstroke start?
    Nice to meet you, Jack! I thought I took 3 breaths, but I'm too tired to really remember. If you want some good sprint workouts, check out the High Intensity Training workouts I write.
    i'm glad to have had the pleasure of meeting you today and look forward to your future blog post workouts. It can't but help this old distance swimmer ! I watched your fifty and your thoughts are right on, it did look like you tightened up with 10 to 12 mtrs to go ... 2 breaths, nice ...a very impressive 50. take care jack c
    Thanks do much for hosting the event, Chris!

You looked good in the 100 fly and 200 back today, reeling in the youngster in the 100 fly.

Someone told me my name wasn't on the list! I confess I didn't check it myself after I heard that bc I had read there was some issue with purchasing tickets.
    Leslie,

You had a great meet! Sorry I didn't have a chance to talk to you much other than saying hi.

You certainly DID purchase a ticket to the social! I wish I had known that you didn't think so. Not that it was any great social event, but it sure was convenient to be able to eat right after the meet.

Original list of people who bought tickets: http://www.vaswim.org/meets/2013/ZonesSocial.txt
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job!!! Business as usual.
    Thanks James!
    I admire the way you can do "well" even when not feeling good, or tired, or with "rough" swims. Congratulations on the WR! Certainly the 50 FR and 50 BK are excellent times whatever the circumstances (would have easily won Pan Pacs). If there is room for improvement, that is good too, so you can break a WR or PR in another LCM meet. The compression garments would really be useful, as there is significant research evidence for enhanced recovery after racing and/or quality training.
    I know! I felt like a dunce for forgetting them. Mind clutter.

I'm not sure how much I'll swim in the next month ... So this could be my only LCM meet this year. I did better than expected in Indy. It all evens out, I guess.