Blog Comments

I agree with Stewart on the quality of the SPMS meet, but am in the same state of SCM ennui as you, Leslie. Forget SCM and come to San Antonio for nationals. It is less than halfway across the country and only 1 time zone for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    It's scm and in the same time frame as NE Champs but I am going to swim SPMS in Commerce, CA. I read and tread Patrick's post from last year and its a great meet. It lines up with a trip I am making to California the following week and I like the idea of nice weather with no worries about weather related travel.

Its hard when you are carrying and injury but some goal setting may get your reinspired, even if it's longer term goals. Just a thought.
    Thx Stewart. I'm a little worried about setting any goals bc I'll probably just suck at my next meet ...

CA is out for me. Too far and I don't like to swim outdoors. I'm not a fan of cross country flights.
    It's scm and in the same time frame as NE Champs but I am going to swim SPMS in Commerce, CA. I read and tread Patrick's post from last year and its a great meet. It lines up with a trip I am making to California the following week and I like the idea of nice weather with no worries about weather related travel.

Its hard when you are carrying and injury but some goal setting may get your reinspired, even if it's longer term goals. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Today I swam with my daughter and we tried this drill many times. My daughter got the hang of it very quickly and was doing full lengths, breathing to both sides and doing flip turns. Her best effort was about 95 yds non-stop before losing the "hat". I was less successful, but did get so I could do a full 25 breathing to my right (my un-natural weak breathing side surprisingly). I managed a successful flip turn, but lost the "hat" on the breakout. We both were really impressed with the drill and I expect that we will make it a common part of warmup when we swim together. Thanks again for posting it. This one is a keeper.
    Agree! I did some more 25s today myself. I would like to work on flip turns as well.
    Today I swam with my daughter and we tried this drill many times. My daughter got the hang of it very quickly and was doing full lengths, breathing to both sides and doing flip turns. Her best effort was about 95 yds non-stop before losing the "hat". I was less successful, but did get so I could do a full 25 breathing to my right (my un-natural weak breathing side surprisingly). I managed a successful flip turn, but lost the "hat" on the breakout. We both were really impressed with the drill and I expect that we will make it a common part of warmup when we swim together. Thanks again for posting it. This one is a keeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    This drill went ok until I tried to take a breath. I'm going to try again since I know my breathing needs work.
    My paddle fell off the first 25 when I tried to breath too. But when I made adjustments, it was not an issue. Though I don't think I'm quite up to flip turns with the paddle ... The drill definitely uncovers any weakness in head position.
    This drill went ok until I tried to take a breath. I'm going to try again since I know my breathing needs work.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    The video isn't playing. The message says "removed by user" Do you have another one you could post?
    Weird, when I google top hat drill, the video comes up and I can watch it. I'll try again. It basically is swimming free with a paddle flat on the top of your head. It forces you to look straight down at the pool. If your head rides too high, the paddle will not stay in place. The drill also means that you have to take a quick breath and cannot breathe for too long or lift your head to high to breathe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4ihWjRcnFU
    The video isn't playing. The message says "removed by user" Do you have another one you could post?
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Sorry to hear about the shoulder. Take it easy and hope you fully recover!
    Thx chowmi. I was probably rushing things, though it seems like I've been kicking forever. I'm getting sick of kicking!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    NE Champs! though sorry about the shoulder
    Maybe NE Champs, though I find myself wishing it wasn't SCM. Unless I'm swimming well in advance, 100s could seem pretty looooong.

No more coming to Pitt on Wed night either?
    Quote Originally Posted by 200free
    On the positive side at least we all know the Fastest Woman award is now up for grabs. I just checked and it looks like you've won it 7 years in a row. Is 18 days enough time for me to get in shape?
    I know, I'm sad not to defend my title. But, yes!, that is enough time for you to get in shape for 25s. I'm rooting for you!
    On the positive side at least we all know the Fastest Woman award is now up for grabs. I just checked and it looks like you've won it 7 years in a row. Is 18 days enough time for me to get in shape?
    Sorry to hear about the shoulder. Take it easy and hope you fully recover!
    NE Champs! though sorry about the shoulder
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Do you think it's allergies or busy life leadi g to a busy mind? I hope you enjoy the trip and are able to catchup on your sleep.
    I think it's probably due to busy mind. My allergies were horrible last month -- September is always a bad one for me with all the ragweed -- but I am on the full cocktail of allergy meds.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I hope your flights and trip to AZ goes smoothly. If you're down in the Tucson/Oro Valley area and have time, try to avail yourself of the many resorts with spa/massage relaxation options.
    Flights went smoothly, but no real time for relaxation. Maybe another trip.
    Do you think it's allergies or busy life leadi g to a busy mind? I hope you enjoy the trip and are able to catchup on your sleep.
    I hope your flights and trip to AZ goes smoothly. If you're down in the Tucson/Oro Valley area and have time, try to avail yourself of the many resorts with spa/massage relaxation options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Backwards? Please. I should get one stroke on you.
    We were pretty darn even on the flutter kicks!