Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I will pass along your best wishes.
    Please do! Injuries seem almost inevitable for the 45+ set. Dianne Ustaal came back from neck surgery and is breaking records again. Bridgit will too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thanks! I think that was my single best swim this year. Though my 100 IM was close.

I was wondering where she was in the short axis events! What is the nature of her injury? I wish her a speedy and full recovery!
    She has had a number of quite serious injuries, her most recent is a neck injury for which she had surgery. She is back in the pool and making great progress but it's going to take her a while to get back to her prior level. I will pass along your best wishes.
    Yeah, that's amazing... way to go!
    Congratulations. Thats awesome. I will never forget that 50 fly at Nationals. Truelly an unbelievable swim.

As an aside I a swimming with Bridgit Heuer at the moment as she is trying to come back from injury so fingers crossed you will have some competition on some of your events next year.
    Thanks! I think that was my single best swim this year. Though my 100 IM was close.

I was wondering where she was in the short axis events! What is the nature of her injury? I wish her a speedy and full recovery!
    Congratulations. Thats awesome. I will never forget that 50 fly at Nationals. Truelly an unbelievable swim.

As an aside I a swimming with Bridgit Heuer at the moment as she is trying to come back from injury so fingers crossed you will have some competition on some of your events next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Preliminary congratulations on all your preliminary listing 2013 SCY Top Ten Rankings!
    Thanks Frank! I swam almost everything at Zones and Nationals -- pools were measured! I was happy that nationals went so well in the middle of selling my house.
    Preliminary congratulations on all your preliminary listing 2013 SCY Top Ten Rankings!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I read in the Swimmer article about Indy Nationals that Ali is planning to swim at Pitzer this fall. There's a girl who used to swim for my club who swims there: Gailyn Portelance (actually she attends Pomona, but as I'm sure you know the two schools combine for athletics). Anyway, she's a really nice kid and she's also an evilstroker!
    Ali may have met her as she trained with the team one day when she was out there. Not sure about that Sagehen mascot! We still haven't gotten our mag.
    I read in the Swimmer article about Indy Nationals that Ali is planning to swim at Pitzer this fall. There's a girl who used to swim for my club who swims there: Gailyn Portelance (actually she attends Pomona, but as I'm sure you know the two schools combine for athletics). Anyway, she's a really nice kid and she's also an evilstroker!
    Belated Happy Birthday Leslie.
    Thanks Stewart!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job on the 100 Fly! Next dare: in a meet performance.
    No way! I've officially retired from that wall-less event. Way too many strokes.
    Nice job on the 100 Fly! Next dare: in a meet performance.
    Belated Happy Birthday Leslie.
    Thanks Frank! Hopefully, I can make it all work without too much frustration.
    County recreation departments tend to have layers of bureaucracy where most key decisions are made off location in a centralized office, not at the facilities. But it just does not make sense with what appears to be a high occurrence of these kinds of incidents. It is not being taken seriously enough or somehow is not being fully reported to those that need to know. Your only other recourse to write a detailed formal snail-mail letter to top management and/or to the local public health agency.
    Happy Birthday!

As an optimist I anticipate you will effectively utilize the various available aquatic facilities and masters programs to continue your high quality swim training in the Pittsburgh area. For me, a new location meant I always had to adapt in some way. While SWF brought a lot of changes, the most significant was having to swim outdoors, become very tan, and give up my pale NJ white skin tone.
    Hmm ... I guess it is kinda close to nationals. If it was 2 weeks before, I'd say do a few events. But you may be into the resting your legs stage. Though doing just a couple events off the blocks could be beneficial.
    I don't know honestly- Muppet wants to do the Purple Swim in Baltimore on the 3rd, but it sounds like that's in the AM and the Saturday session is PM. I've also never tried to do a meet halfway through my taper, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to modify the taper any way this year. So that's a roundabout way of saying maybe.
    It stretches! A lot, should be very tight. You can definitely get it on! The kneeskins definitely make a difference in your times.

I think the Pitt public pools are worse -- all very shallow. At least SpringHill is up to 12 feet deep and Oak Marr is 7 feet deep. I may join Team Pitt masters (just for workouts, I'm staying on GMUP) and go MWF at 5:30. I would be modifying like crazy though as they do mostly short rest stuff from reading Water Rat's blog. I am definitely stressed about where to swim (though trying not to think about it too much right now). The new Mt. Lebanon pool can't be finished soon enough!

Will you be at the Aug 3-4 meet for some pre-Nats speed work?
    Happy birthday to you! Glad to hear you were finally able to get in a whole workout. I know I b*tch about the county pools on this side of the Potomac, but we never have these kinds of issues.

I got the suit today- just holding it up to my torso, I *might* be able to shimmy (or maybe shoehorn is a better word choice) into it. If I do manage to get it on, I might have to break it out for my 50 back at nats- see if I can channel my inner sprinter on that last day. Thanks a billion for sending it!