Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    RE: Canadian split request, just ping the meet organizers. I contemplated going to that meet and asked some more basic questions and they were very responsive. I would think split requests are possible.
    I pinged them a couple days ago with this question, but haven't heard anything. I would have to assume they have a similar system.
    Catching up on yesterday's comments ...

Here's my rationale for why you can be sub-1:00 in both and could be 58+ in the 100 fly. From this past weekend, your 50s of strokes versus mine:
    • 50 fly - 25.96 (Fort) vs 26.82 (me)
    • 50 back - 27.2 (Fort) vs. 29.43 (me)
    • 50 free - 25.1 (Fort) flat start vs. ~24-mid (my 50s with relay flying starts were 23 high and 24 low)

We didn't have comparable breaststroke times, but I seem to recall that, at the 50 distance, we are well-matched again.

So, I was slower or comparable on all strokes, but the 100s were different:
    • 100 fly - 1:02.8 vs my 58.57
    • 100 IM - 1:04.6 vs my 59.98

I point this out not to emphasize the fact that I can't sprint or that my 'distance' capacity is better than yours, but to state, from my perspective, that sub 1:00 should be doable for you, particularly in the fly. I agree the IM might be a little further road to go, but I still think you can do it.

As for what kind of sets you need to do, I would think the 'Hackett 200' set I do frequently (e.g., 16 x 50 every 4th one at race pace, 12 x 50 every 3rd one at race pace, etc.) where you focus on trying to make those race pace 50s as either the 2nd 50 time for your 100 or, better yet, your average 50 time for your target 100s. Though this set is more oriented towards preparation for a 200, I think doing this for you would help you build confidence that you have the 2nd half of the 100 to be able to really crank in these events.
    I hadn't thought of doing the Hackett set, but that's not a bad idea. What interval do you use for that?

I would be happy to get back to my 1:02 in the IM. But that event in this meet was especially slow bc of insomnia and that bad breast to free turn. The quality of my sleep and the amount of rest between events is a huge factor for me. I've had other meets marred by poor sleep too. I think fly is more realistic. But I definitely couldn't use the Hackett set for that unless I did the non race pace ones free. One other important reason my 50s are relatively faster than my 100s is that I can stay under 30 meters in the 50s, but can't replicate that in the 100s. And surface swimming is simply slower for me. I've also been struggling with UWs this season, but feel like my new allergy medicine is helping me breathe better.
    RE: Canadian split request, just ping the meet organizers. I contemplated going to that meet and asked some more basic questions and they were very responsive. I would think split requests are possible.
    Catching up on yesterday's comments ...

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Sub 1:00? Well, I was 1:00.8 last year in 100 fly, so not too far off. But I might be more likely to approach 1:00 in the 100 back than 100 IM. Sub 1:00 in the 100 IM is Erika Braun territory. But right now, I just don't have the fitness or aerobic conditioning to really crank in those events. And I'm not sure if I can do it training solo. If you could do one or two specific sets to improve 100 endurance, what would they be?
    Here's my rationale for why you can be sub-1:00 in both and could be 58+ in the 100 fly. From this past weekend, your 50s of strokes versus mine:
    • 50 fly - 25.96 (Fort) vs 26.82 (me)
    • 50 back - 27.2 (Fort) vs. 29.43 (me)
    • 50 free - 25.1 (Fort) flat start vs. ~24-mid (my 50s with relay flying starts were 23 high and 24 low)

We didn't have comparable breaststroke times, but I seem to recall that, at the 50 distance, we are well-matched again.

So, I was slower or comparable on all strokes, but the 100s were different:
    • 100 fly - 1:02.8 vs my 58.57
    • 100 IM - 1:04.6 vs my 59.98

I point this out not to emphasize the fact that I can't sprint or that my 'distance' capacity is better than yours, but to state, from my perspective, that sub 1:00 should be doable for you, particularly in the fly. I agree the IM might be a little further road to go, but I still think you can do it.

As for what kind of sets you need to do, I would think the 'Hackett 200' set I do frequently (e.g., 16 x 50 every 4th one at race pace, 12 x 50 every 3rd one at race pace, etc.) where you focus on trying to make those race pace 50s as either the 2nd 50 time for your 100 or, better yet, your average 50 time for your target 100s. Though this set is more oriented towards preparation for a 200, I think doing this for you would help you build confidence that you have the 2nd half of the 100 to be able to really crank in these events.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    YEAH! Excellent swims and the 100's were good! You'll be happy when you are reaching some hundred mark in top tens and then be thankful you did show up for those events! What a bummer if you ended a season with x99 career TTs.

I think your 100's will be very good, especially if you continue with the USRPT and multi 25's!!
    Well, I'm only at 125 now; didn't start masters until 2006. I felt like my 100s at Columbus were solid and these two were mediocre. But honestly I was just tired. I think the two nights of poor sleep really took a toll. I know I can still swim fast when I'm sleep deprived, but mentally I'm just not there.

If you could do one set to improve your 100s, what would it be? I will carry on with USRPT bc I do think it helps and is a relatively painless way to train at race pace.
    Very nice job this weekend and so cool to hear that your daughter is back to running. That's got to make you feel happy and it will make her feel better, too.

As for your 100 fly and 100 IM, I would personally love to see what you could do if you spent a SCY or SCM season really targeting those events. I know we are different ages, genders and have different sprint vs. endurance ability, but looking at your 50 times and mine and then my 100 times, I firmly believe you could be sub 1:00 on both of these events in SCY.
    Sub 1:00? Well, I was 1:00.8 last year in 100 fly, so not too far off. But I might be more likely to approach 1:00 in the 100 back than 100 IM. Sub 1:00 in the 100 IM is Erika Braun territory. But right now, I just don't have the fitness or aerobic conditioning to really crank in those events. And I'm not sure if I can do it training solo. If you could do one or two specific sets to improve 100 endurance, what would they be?
    Updated April 8th, 2014 at 10:35 AM by The Fortress
    [QUOTE=kwhendersonThanks Leslie. You did incredibly well with all you've been doing with the move and remodel, travel, coaching... I just need to get focused and lift weights again. Need to pick a meet to swim, maybe Long Course Zones. Thanks for your inspiration and for sharing your training and progress. Enjoy a little rest before you gear up for long course.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm telling myself. it's taken a very long time to acclimate. And we are not done remodeling!

LCM Zones would be perfect! I do think weights make a difference, particularly in long course. So getting back to the gym is a good idea.

I'm going to carry on for awhile and swim at Canadian Nationals the third week of May. I am going to skip long course entirely because of a couple vacations this summer.
    YEAH! Excellent swims and the 100's were good! You'll be happy when you are reaching some hundred mark in top tens and then be thankful you did show up for those events! What a bummer if you ended a season with x99 career TTs.

I think your 100's will be very good, especially if you continue with the USRPT and multi 25's!!
    Very nice job this weekend and so cool to hear that your daughter is back to running. That's got to make you feel happy and it will make her feel better, too.

As for your 100 fly and 100 IM, I would personally love to see what you could do if you spent a SCY or SCM season really targeting those events. I know we are different ages, genders and have different sprint vs. endurance ability, but looking at your 50 times and mine and then my 100 times, I firmly believe you could be sub 1:00 on both of these events in SCY.
    Thank you so much, Kristin. In reality, I am not getting faster. I was slower in every event this year. The only PR in SCY this year was in the 100 breast. But I'm hanging in there and was very close to my PRs in my two best events. I might have done better with a real taper. But Santa Clara was never on my radar.

You have plenty of talent and natural speed, so when you decide to ramp it up again, you'll be fast. I know what you mean about having someone to train with. I know my practices would improve if I had a sprinter right next to me.
    Thanks Leslie. You did incredibly well with all you've been doing with the move and remodel, travel, coaching... I just need to get focused and lift weights again. Need to pick a meet to swim, maybe Long Course Zones. Thanks for your inspiration and for sharing your training and progress. Enjoy a little rest before you gear up for long course.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Full Mojo mode - Remarkable swimming Fort!
    Thanks Steve! I do feel like I'm getting some of my mojo back after a rough year. It was nice to post a couple really fast times.
    Full Mojo mode - Remarkable swimming Fort!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhenderson
    Fantastic swims Leslie. You continue to amaze me with your swims getting faster and faster. I am contemplating a return to consistent swimming and am motivated by your enthusiasm and the analysis of your races. Just wish I had some other sprinters to train along with.
    So happy to hear Lil Fort did so well too. I truly have been thinking of and praying for her.
    Thank you so much, Kristin. In reality, I am not getting faster. I was slower in every event this year. The only PR in SCY this year was in the 100 breast. But I'm hanging in there and was very close to my PRs in my two best events. I might have done better with a real taper. But Santa Clara was never on my radar.

You have plenty of talent and natural speed, so when you decide to ramp it up again, you'll be fast. I know what you mean about having someone to train with. I know my practices would improve if I had a sprinter right next to me.
    Fantastic swims Leslie. You continue to amaze me with your swims getting faster and faster. I am contemplating a return to consistent swimming and am motivated by your enthusiasm and the analysis of your races. Just wish I had some other sprinters to train along with.
    So happy to hear Lil Fort did so well too. I truly have been thinking of and praying for her.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job!! Fast like usual.
    Thanks James. I feel like I've been somewhat inconsistent this season. But I was happy to throw down in my 2 best events.
    Nice job!! Fast like usual.
    One of the things I picked up from Ricky Berens at swim camp (and he's one of the best SDK'ers out there) was how he times his first kick. It's after a nice long glide. He doesn't rush it at all.

good luck this weekend. I'll be watching remotely.
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    Congrats! What an awesome accomplishment!
    Thanks Katie! It was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    That makes sense. I wouldn't be attending Nats this year were it not for the close proximity to home.
    Proximity and the same time zone is a big draw. I love California, but don't sleep well when visiting there.
    Thanks Matt!

USMS nationals is in a crappy outdoor pool far away. Canadian Nationals is in a great indoor pool that is a six hour drive.
    That makes sense. I wouldn't be attending Nats this year were it not for the close proximity to home.