View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Monday, July 16, 2012 5:30pm at the Y

by , July 16th, 2012 at 11:32 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Home Sweet Home!!

I'm glad to be swimming again in the pool, and prefer this type of training (SCY) over any other. SCM would be okay, but I don't have that option around here.

I'm now focused on my next adventures, the first of which is the final day of the USA-S LSC Champs in Spokane which I'm swimming the 1500 LCM and 100 Free & Fly. I consider that the easy swimming. Anything in the pool is easy now.
    3 weeks from now will be the real challenge for me. Longbridge swim in Sandpoint, Idaho: 1.76 miles swim (1.1 across the lake next to the bridge, then along the shore to the park). I'm focusing now on doing longer swims in the pool, but keeping up the intensity as well.

Warmup:

5 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (1:10s)

Main Set:

8 x 300 Free Pull @ 4:30 desc. to 3:20 by :10 drops
    • (e.g. 4:30/4:20/4:10...3:30/3:20)
    • held close to 3:30s the whole way
    • #7 was 3:26, #8 missed it but went 3:24
    • The 1.76 mile swim is roughly 2800 yards or so, so I'm going to try for one major set each swim that approaches or surpasses this distance, with as minimal rest as possible.
    100 EZ

5 x 100 Free @ 1:15 (went 1:08/1:09s)

100 EZ

------------------------
    3600 in under 55 minutes (getting more and more KNelsonish)
  2. Monday, July 16

by , July 16th, 2012 at 04:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ OakMarr w/Speedo-MB:

Warm up:

When we arrived the pool was absolutely packed. Many noodlers in the lap lanes. So we warmed up in the diving well.

800-850 various for me, 1000 for Pete

Main Sets:

I let Speedo pick the sets. I'm weary from thinking up workouts. And I still need to post a couple more over in the HIT forum.

300 ultra kick
    12 x 25 @ :35
    15 fast, 10 cruise, approx :15 rest
    -- I did backstroke kick. Pete did flutter kick w/board. So we were about the same pace.

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    25 stroke kick + 25 stroke
    2 x IM order

5 x 200 @ 2:40
    Pete did free w/paddles
    I used fins and did 3 backstroke kick and 2 free
    Went 2:15, 2:19-20 on next 3 and 2:12 on last one (kick).

Yes, you read this right. I did this set without any quibbling whatsoever after Pete announced I would "hate him"!

Long chat break, which caused us to then cramp right away on the next set.

4 x through:
    50 stroke, IM order @ 200 pace @ 1:00
    100 free smooth @ 2:00

100 EZ

Total: 3200

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I hadn't planned to swim today. But I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to swim with Speedo-MB. And it was likely a decent recovery type workout after the meet. Looking forward to yoga or the gym tomorrow!

It's very odd. The 3 weeks before Nationals after PRP my shoulder was really bothering me. During Nationals it was fine and it feels much better now. And I haven't done any RC exercises in 10 days.

Updated July 16th, 2012 at 04:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Monday July 16th - AM Swim

Santa Clara Swim Club Masters - SCY
    Steve coaching

Warm-up (900)
    4 x 125 @ 2:00 middle 25 streamline kick, pull every 10 kicks
    8 x 50 @ 1:00 odds free descend, evens 25 drill + 25 swim IM order

Set I (1600 / 2500)
    1 x 400 (went 4:49)

1 x 300 @ 4:45 (went 3:37)
    2 x 50 @ :50

1 x 200 @ 3:10 (went 2:24)
    4 x 50 @ :50

1 x 100 @ 1:35 (went (1:11)
    6 x 50 @ :50

Set II (450 / 2950)
    6 x 75 @ 1:05 pull w/buoy and paddles

50 easy

** 3000 yards **

I felt much better in the water today than I have in almost a week. Note to self: expect to be slow and sore after two tough arm and shoulder weight sessions in three days.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -07/17/12

by , July 16th, 2012 at 01:36 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARMUP:
    1 X 300 5:30
    2 X 150 2:45
    3 X 100 2:00
    1 X 200 3:30
    2 X 100 1:45
    4 X 50 descend :50

9 X 100 Free 1:50
    1&2: moderate
    3&4: build
    5&6: 50 fast/50 easy
    7&8: fast
    #9: easy

1 x 200 kick 5:00
    3 x 100 kick 2:30

1 X 300 IM 5:30
    4 X 50-1 of each- 1:10
    Two rounds

OR

6 X 200 pull 3:00 or 3:30
    descend in pairs

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4100/4300M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. DOUBLE Mon Jul 16th, 2012

by , July 16th, 2012 at 01:20 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    DOUBLE Mon Jul 16th, 2012

since I didn't do much this morning
    I came back for noon & did a sprint practice

Whitney Coached
    LCM main pool
    6:00 7:30 dove in at 7:05
    swam with Dale & Max
    Beside Nolen, Robert & Keith

Warm Up (LCM)

Main Set (LCM)

assigned 20 x 50
    2 rounds of 9 on 45 1 easy on 1:45
    DID:
    8 rounds of
    15 M sprint 10 M easy turn in middle of the pool on 1:30
    25 M sprint turn in middle of pool 25 easy on 1:30

assigned 600
    did 3 x (15 M SDK, 15 easy / 25 flutter kick 25 easy )

assigned 20 x 100
    2 rounds of 9 on 1:30 1 easy on no interval
    9 on 1:30 1 easy on no interval
    DID:
    round 1)
    odds 100 easy speed strong held 70's & 71
    evens 50 easy
    Round 2:
    odds: 50 strong on 1;20
    evens 50 easy on 1:20

rest 3 minutes

50 fly fast from a dive
    went 27

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2012 Meets & Events

Sat Aug 11 & 12, 2012
    South Central LCM Zones
    Palo Alto Pool
    San Antonio, TX
    My Plans

2012 South Central Zones

Meet Info / Entry Form

Days Till

Updated July 16th, 2012 at 04:17 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Mon Jul 16th, 2012

by , July 16th, 2012 at 01:19 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Mon Jul 16th, 2012

ZONES are 25 days away
    Lifted Friday & Sunday
    Swam Sat

Over slept, I need to leave my home at 5:15 to arrive on time and I left around 6:15

Whitney Coached
    LCM main pool
    6:00 7:30 dove in at 7:05
    swam with Larry & Bryan
    Beside Todd, Chris, Ned & Jim

Warm Up (LCM)
    missed it

Main Set (LCM)

300 easy

9 x 100 on 1:30
    cruised em

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2012 Meets & Events

Sat Aug 11 & 12, 2012
    South Central LCM Zones
    Palo Alto Pool
    San Antonio, TX
    My Plans

2012 South Central Zones

Meet Info / Entry Form

Days Till
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 07/16/12: am

by , July 16th, 2012 at 12:37 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 FR/200 IM drill/200 build

1 x Noah's Ark
    10 x 50 on :10 sr
    - 1-2: kick
    - 3-4: pull
    - 5: FAST
    repeat

200 FR drill
    200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Hoosick Falls/2000yds/40 min)
    -------------------------------

Made it back from Philly safely. Great city to get to know better as my daughter was at orientation. After that sweet wake-up swim with Tom, my son and I hit the town starting at 34th street: one wind sprint up the Museum of Art steps ("Rocky steps"), then a 4+ mile meander of the city, finally stopping at 5th street to check out the Liberty Bell. It was hot outside, but fun to see lots of interesting sights along the way.

Friday we booked a tour of Lincoln Park (home of the Eagles), so we took the train to the south end of the orange line. It is pretty neat how the city has moved all of the pro stadiums right next to each other and has mass transit so close. Fun time getting the VIP behind the scene tour of a stadium - even got some goodies for my father-in-law who is a big fan.

Saturday saw one of very few weekends starting off without any definite plans. My buddy works for the phone company and had to make a call to the other side of the state in Putney, VT, so I joined him on a motorcycle ride in the heat. Haven't been out in a long time for a long ride. Got home and took a ride with my wife before dinner as the temps cooled off a bit - got in around 150 miles.
    Yesterday after church we went to a party for my in-laws visiting from Tennessee - good times.

Today I really didn't want to get up to swim, but kinda have to with Peaks coming up this weekend. More or less a stretch-out swim as I got there late (it was drizzling so I waited for the skies to clear out a little before making the twenty min drive over) and it was packed. No lane lines, and I squeezed in between two black lines until a lady decided she'd join there. Just swam around her.

Plan for the week: swim at Lake Paren tonight with the Marauders (if it isn't storming) before Bible study, get in again tomorrow morning before work to do some harder efforts, work thru Thursday night, then stay dry until Saturday, where I am planning on taking the motorcycle on the five hour trip to Maine!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. 07.16.12 - Monday workout

by , July 16th, 2012 at 10:46 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Dave, Ray and Sam. I'm back at a reasonable altitude with breathable air again. It makes a huge difference. Not sure how long this will last but I'm enjoying it while I can .

SCY

450 Warm up

2 x 500 Free - 7:30
    200 Easy
    I drafted Sam (college swimmer) on these. We made 5:52 on the first and about 6:00 on the second. We miscounted and did an extra 50 so it was hard to tell.

3 x 500 - 4:30 (Odds IM, evens free)
    200 Easy
    I did about 4:15 on the IMs and 3:40 on the free. Sam blew me away on the IM so I wasn't able to draft any. Stayed close to him on the free.

5 x 100 - 1:45 (Odds Free, evens IM)
    100 Easy
    Went 1:08, 1:08, 1:05 on the free and 1:15, 1:18 on the IM.

Dave and I did part of a set I brought back from Colorado:

4 Times through:
    * 50 Easy - :50
    * 40 Hard - :50 (flip at flags)
    * 25 Sprint - :30

50 Cool down

(4460 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Sunday July 15th - PM Swim

At home with Susan, Richard, Signe, and Nate.

Warm-up (1400)
    300 swim
    400 IM drill-swim by 25
    300 pull
    8 x 50 @ :50 descend 1-4, 5-8

Set I (600 / 2000)
    4 x 25 @ ~:30 rest underwater SDK no fins
    4 x 100 @ 1:30 dolphin w/fins
    4 x 25 @ :45 underwater SDK w/fins (Signe wanted to use my fins so I gave them up and did underwater breast kick)

Set II (900 / 2900)
    2 x
    * 2 x 50 @ 1:00 25 drill + 25 swim
    * 3 x 50 @ 1:00 pull, breath every 7 & 9 strokes by 25
    * 4 x 50 @ 1:00 swim, descend

100 easy

** 3000 yards **

I decided a light recovery workout was in order after my less than stellar workouts (and attendant complaining) the last two days. The one challenging part was kicking, where I decided to try to do some of our regular underwater 25s without fins for the first time. I made three of them without coming up for a breath, but yikes those are hard!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Sunday, July 15, 2012 Steve Omi Memorial OW Swim

by , July 15th, 2012 at 09:17 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    OK, I'm sure this will never compare with the literacy skills of swimsuitaddict, but I'm going to do my best!

Last night about 7:30pm while cruising the forums, I decided to take a look at the NW Zone Page, specifically the [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=269123&postcount=10"]Upcoming Masters Meets in the NW [/ame]page. Not sure what I was looking for in the first place, but I noticed that the Steve Omi swim was set for tomorrow (today) morning. Just for kicks, I decided to check out the lake temperature of Coeur d'Alene, ID. I knew that historically it's always cold, so I was shocked to see its current reading at 72.7!! I shot my friend a phone call in CDA to confirm, and she said that is most likely correct with all the warm weather we've had lately. Well, with that news, I then proceeded to ask my wife if it would be possible for me to make a trip to Idaho in the morning. Expecting a no way, or something to that effect, I was surprised when she said OK. Really?

I attempted to get to bed early last night, but the heat in the house (and the movies on Encore channels that we're getting for free) kept me from being able to fall asleep until almost midnight! 4 hours later....BEEP BEEP BEEP!! So tired...but still was going through with it. I got my oldest daughter out of bed to come along with me as well (she really wanted to for some reason). Left town by 4:30am to get there for the 8:00am checkin/late registration time.

McDonalds breakfast 2 hours into the trip...check! Successful swim about to happen now. As I kept pushing east to Spokane, WA, I noticed the clouds were looking quite dark in the distance (in the direction of Idaho), then a huge bolt of lightning lights up the sky! This was around 7:30am. It was a great day for a swim all over eastern Washington, but not for Idaho apparently! The lightning and thunder continued and continued, and as soon as we crossed the border to Idaho, the rain was pouring!

Well, I proceeded to get checked in, and the safety marshall was keeping the clock running (and reseting) on each lightning strike that happened. At times it seemed like it would stop, and then 20 minutes later another flash and crash in the sky Everyone was really hoping for the swim to happen today, especially those of us who had driving 3+ hours to get there! Finally things were beginning to clear, the lightning stopped and the rain began to die down. The original starting time of the race was 9:00am, and that was pushed back to 9:46am, so not extremely late. Much better than cancelling altogether! Damit, I'd better get to swim something after that drive!

----------------------

The race:

Finally, we're in the water, and the near 73 degree water feels great as opposed to the wet 66 degree outside conditions we were in for the past couple hours. We got lined up on the start line, I took a position furthest out from the beach (course map) so that I could be away from the large bunch of people in the standing room only section of the water, and also so I could see everyone to my right side (which is my dominant breathing side). I knew I'd be in the top 5-10 of the race at the end, and figured I wanted to be in the lead group funneling around the first turn buoy as well. They gave us a 10 second countdown to start as well which was nice, so I could get my legs kicking horizontally before releasing the brakes to get off the start quick! I had a reaction time of 0.67 seconds off the line, which runs right along with all my starts at Canadian Nationals!

I did not sprint, but I definitely held a strong breakout stroke to be sure to be in the front of the pack. I knew there were a few superstar age groupers in the water, and I could see them merging across the lake as we got further down toward the first buoy. I was in 3rd at the turnbuoy, but had plenty of heat all around me. Apparently I had someone sneaking up on my left hand side and for the first left hand turn buoy she (yes it was a SHE) squeezed her way between me and the buoy to put me into 4th place. During the next short straightaway to the 2nd turnbuoy, another big guy in a wetsuit went by me (later found out it was Don Morovec, a guy who's pool distance records I've been just barely able to break in my former age group). He's now about 54 and an excellent OW dude. I never saw him again after that either!, so that put me into 5th place.

I was feeling very comfortable in the water today, it was a calm day on the water, not too many waves, though the visibility wasn't the greatest underwater, most likely due to the storms. Had a few waves on the long backstretch of the race, likely from a passing boat out there somewhere. I was swimming very straight lines, and was having an easy time sighting on the large 6'+ buoys (orange for the corners, and yellow for the intermediate buoys on the straight parts) I was also keeping sight on the kids and Don in front of me. I felt like the part in the Finding Nemo movie when the dad fish (Marlin) was chasing the scubadivers speedboat after they'd snatched up Nemo from the ocean. I could still see the bubbles from the kicking, but they were getting fainter and fainter in the water. It got to the point where I'd lost the draft of them, and wasn't sure who was coming up behind me, but wasn't going to look back at all to find out either. Why look behind you? Unless you're in open ocean and you're looking for dorsal fins and sharp teeth??!!

The remainder of the backstretch straightaway went without incidence, and was very peaceful. I was happy to be able to look out and see the lifeguards on their boards at the various stages around the course. Gave me a good feeling that I wasn't "alone". I was also playing with swimming longer and longer expanses without lifting up for a sighting breath. At times I was taking 15-20 stroke cycles, then looking up and finding that I was still exactly on course with the buoy. That made me feel good that I could swim a straight line without a black line below me. I then tried 30 strokes looked up, and the buoy had moved (or maybe I had), but quickly found my heading, and back on track.

As I reached the 3rd corner of the rectangle, I was beginning to feel a little fatigued. This is about the approximate distance (10-1200) of a pool race that I always seem to fall off my pace. I did breath to the left a couple times here so I could look back 90 degrees down the backstretch to see if I had anyone closely trailing me. I didn't see anyone for about what looked like 50 yards or so back. Well, it turns out that I had a guy (Larry Krauser (59 yrs.) - great pool freestyler and OW swimmer) who was coming up on my tail that I didn't notice. Continued like this past the 4th and final turnbuoy, still oblivious that Larry was right behind me.

In swimming the final stretch to the finish line, I couldn't remember how many large yellow buoys had been set out before arriving at the finishing point on the beach. The finishing point had a large white banner and flags, and there were a few other boat dock covers that were white as well down the shoreline. My goggles were heavily fogged up at this point, and I honestly couldn't tell where exactly the finish line banner was at! So I went vertical, cleaned out my goggles, and WHOOOSH...there went Larry, no longer drafting but pushing to the finish. I was now in 6th place. Trouble is he didn't allow for me to draft off of him!! By the time I got my momentum going again, he was out of range for my tired body. I did take a look back here, and I could see another person about 50 yards back or so. I didn't want to be caught again, so I tried to push the last 300 or so to the finish line. Never was I so relieved to be back on solid ground again!

Final time for the course: 21 min. 27 sec.

Overall Placing: 6th out of 120 or so

Age Group Placing: 1st (19-34 men) I'm still 34 for two more weeks
    Funny part with this was at the registration table the lady felt sorry for me because I had to compete with all the 20-22 year old guys already signed up. At the time, I said "oh man, that sucks" (for them) - I didn't say the last part out loud.

Placing among naked (non-wetsuit) swimmers: 1st - they didn't divide people by wetsuit/non, but we knew who the real swimmers were

--------------------------------

1st place was an 18:15 by a phenominal 17 year old who "took it easy" for his taper meet next weekend.
    2nd -4th place was 20:40-20:50 or so...there was 1 age group boy, 1 age group girl, and 54 year old Don Morovec
    5th place was 21:15 - Larry Krauser - 59 years
    6th place was 21:27 - James Adams 34.93 years
    7th place was about 22:00 by the 2nd place non-wetsuited guy - another age grouper.

----------------------------------------

Overall, it was a fun swim. I'm not going to change to being an OW enthusiast, I'm still a pool swimmer first for sure. The 1 mile swim was a good distance for me, and we'll see how the 1.76 mile goes in 3 weeks up in Sandpoint, Idaho. I will again be swimming that one "naked", while everyone else wears wetsuits.
  11. Workouts (week of 7/15)

by , July 15th, 2012 at 12:23 PM (Time-Crunched Swimmer)
    7/15 @ DRY 9-10 am

500 wu (400 sw, 100 k)
    5x100 2:00 d/s IMO
    100 K
    10X50 1:30 2 hard fly, 1 ez fr (3 times)
    33, 32, 32, 32, 33, 34, 33 fly splits
    6x50 1:15 k/s mix
    100 easy cd
    2000 total

7/18 @ RCHS 10 am
    300 swim wu
    100 k
    8x50 d/s RIMO @ 10 secs RI
    200 cd
    1000 total

Got a quick 1000 in after my team did their swim camp.

7/20 @ DRY 8:30 am
    1000 Meet Warmup
    1x200 Fly TT 2:35
    300 easy (alt swim/kick/swim)
    12x25 3-5 SDK Fly off each wall :40
    200 cd
    2000 total

That's the first 200 fly that I've done in almost 2 years. I was hoping to be under 2:30. My stroke count per 25 was between 6 & 8 strokes. If I can take 2 more dolphin kicks off each wall, I should be able to keep my stroke count lower for the 2nd 100.

Updated July 20th, 2012 at 11:07 AM by kellys

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  12. Saturday July 14th - AM Swim

At home with Susan.

Warm-up (1200)
    300 swim
    300 IM kick-drill-drill by 25
    300 pull
    6 x 50 @ :50 gentle descend free

Set I (1000 / 2200)
    8 x 25 underwater SDK w/fins @ :45
    3 x 100 @ 1:25 flutter w/fins
    4 x 50 @ 1:10 flutter 25 easy + 25 fast
    3 x 100 @ 1:30 dolphin w/fins

Set II (2400 set / 4600 total)
    1 x 500 (went 6:21)
    2 x 50 @ :50, :55 active recovery

2 x 250 @ 4:10, hold cumulative time under the 500 time (went 3:09, 3:08)

4 x 125 @ 2:05, hold cumulative time under the 2 x 250 time (went 1:35, cramped, 1:32, 1:32)

5 x 100 @ 1:40, hold cumulative time under the 4 x 125 time (went 1:14, 1:13, 1:12, 1:13, 1:12)

Set III (250 set / 4850 total)
    1 x 25 fly @ :30
    2 x 25 back @ :30
    3 x 25 breast @ :30
    4 x 25 free @ :25

150 easy

** 5000 yards **

I felt sluggish and sore in the water again today, my arms especially were still feeling the effects of weights the other night. The main set is based on Tim's workout at Mesa-Kino yesterday, but it seemed familiar as we were doing it and when I got home I looked and found that I did just about the same set three weeks ago - except that the intervals were shorter, there was no active recovery between 500s, and my times were all faster .

Oh well, at least my kicking felt decent today.

Updated July 14th, 2012 at 10:29 PM by eric.carlson

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Friday, July 13, 2012 5:30pm at the Y

by , July 13th, 2012 at 11:46 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Got to the YMCA pool, and was the first one there...usually Friday's with the whole pool available for lap swims are crowded, but not today. I could see the lifeguards struggling with the lanelines to get them off the reel...some jackapple in the afternoon at the Y decided not to tighten the slack on any of the 5 lanelines, and it almost looked like they tried to reel all 5 in at the same time from both directions onto the reel! Between the two guards and me, we finally got them untangled and into the pool after 20 minutes!! Well, I had my good times there...time for the water to rinse off.

2nd warmup:

5 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (1:10s and under)

took a couple minutes, then:

1 x 800 IM for time (went 10:28)
    2:25 out in a 1:06 felt it too!
    5:10 (2:45) backstroke was so lazy tonight, but it usually is...why else would someone swim on their back?
    8:08 (2:58) build to the free
    10:28 (2:20) think powerful, not pain

Not quite as fast as last year, but still decent. Here's last year's swim:
    [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=247200&postcount=37"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Independence Day challenge[/ame]

100 EZ EZ EZ, try to recover

1 x 400 Free Pull stretch out

12 x 75 Free

3 rounds of:
    • 1 @ 1:00
    • 1 @ :55
    • 1 @ 1:00
    • 1 @ 1:05
    • repeat on interval
    this kept my mind from wandering by having to remember the interval changes

12 x 25 Kick w/ board @ :30 (or 300 straight kick, 'cause that's basically what it was)

-----------------------
    3000 Yards
  14. Friday, July 13

by , July 13th, 2012 at 07:23 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :35
    10 x 50 free @ 1:00
    odds = agility paddles & fins
    evens = fins, flipping and staying on back
    -- last one @ 100 pace-ish
    -- smashed my heels on edge, ouch, :25
    6 x 50 back @ 1:00
    50 EZ
    4 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:30
    50 EZ
    1 x 25 AFAP back shooter w/fins, :9
    125 EZ
    4 x 25 breast pullouts
    50 EZ

Total: 2200

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Z-Z-Z-Z-Z

Can't wait till my Sunday "workout" is over and I can move on to something else! Might just swim "on the inside" for awhile -- a new training concept invented by MB Speedo.

Summer league meet tomorrow am and then Jimby arrives and we can commence to over analyze his approach to his focus event, 100 free. I have my own goal, no personal worst, so we will ignore my event.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Friday July 13th - AM Swim

At home with Susan and Richard.

Warm-up (1200)
    300 swim
    300 IM kick-drill-drill by 25
    300 pull
    3 x 100 @ 1:40 gentle descend free

Set I (1200 set / 2400 total)
    4 x 50 @ 1:10 flutter 25 easy + 25 fast
    3 x 200 @ 2:45 flutter w/fins
    4 x 50 @ 1:10 breast kick 25 easy + 25 fast
    8 x 25 @ :45 underwater SDK

Set II (1500 set / 3900 total)
    3 x 300 @ 4:45 first 25 of each 100 stroke, IM order
    2 x 200 @ 2:50
    2 x 100 @ 1:35 first 25 of each 100 stroke, IM order

100 easy

** 4000 yards **

As written, this was a 5000 yard workout but my arms and shoulders were really feeling the after effects of yesterday's weights so we cut the main set short.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Friday 7/13/12

Friday 7/13

AM only LCM

500 swim
    300 pull w/ opposite fin + opposite paddle

6x100 @ 1:50 50 strong/50 cruise pull w/ opposite fin + opposite paddle

12x50 @ 1:10 25 smooth 0 breath/25 fast

1x200 @ 2:45 strong
    2x100 @ 1:45 EZ

Total: 2400
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -07/16/12

by , July 13th, 2012 at 02:07 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    2 X 200 3:45 3:30
    3 X 100 2:00 1:45
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right.

SCY
    2 X 100 kick 2:15
    6 X 50 kick 1:10
    1 X 100 swim

1 X 100 2:00
    2 X 50 1:00
    Choice. IM'ers swim one round of each stroke.

12 X 100 pull
    4 on 1:25
    4 on 1:20
    4 on 1:15

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4200 Y/M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. FAST FRIDAY the 13th, Jul 13th, 2012

by , July 13th, 2012 at 11:12 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    FAST FRIDAY the 13th, Jul 13th, 2012

ZONES are 28 days away
    I plan to lift weights later today

Whitney Coached
    LCM main pool
    6:00 7:30
    swam with Larry
    Beside Tyler, Chris, Larry, Dale, Chris, & Ned

Warm Up (LCM)
    20 min choice
    went 1100
    easy free

Main Set (LCM)

5 x 100 fr on 2:30
    went 1:09's

300 easy

5 x 100 k on 3:00
    1) dove 100 sdk & fl k on side
    2) dove 100 SDK & fl k on side
    3) missed
    4) 100 flutter k with board 1:32
    5) 100 flutter kick with a board 1:29

300 easy

5 x 50 fl fast 50 fr easy on 2:30
    30, 29, 29, 30, 28

200 easy

5 x 25 fl fast / 25 easy

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2012 Meets & Events

Sat Aug 11 & 12, 2012
    South Central LCM Zones
    Palo Alto Pool
    San Antonio, TX
    My Plans

2012 South Central Zones

Meet Info / Entry Form

Days Till
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. 07.13.12 - Friday workout; farewell to Colorado

by , July 13th, 2012 at 11:08 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    This is my last day of vacation/altitude training. Colorado Springs is a beautiful city and we haven't been short of things to do here. Can't wait to come back one day. CSST Masters has been really welcoming and taken care of my swimming addiction while I've been visiting. Many thanks to them for all they have done for me!

SCY

750 Warm up

8 x 75 - 1:15 (25 non-free, 50 choice)

4 Times through:
    * 2 x 75 Free - 1:10 Easy
    * 65 Free - 1:10 Hard (Flip turn at flags)
    4 Times through:
    * 2 x 50 Free - :50 Easy
    * 40 Free - :50 Hard (Flip turn at flags)
    150 Easy
    Flipping at the flags took some getting used to. The flip isn't so bad but accelerating from a dead stop to hard speed hurts a lot. Plus you have to figure out how to get out of the way of the person behind you. Manged somehow. Fly/free sprints were :14-:15, br sprints were :17-:18.

4 x 100 Kick
    6 x 150 Pull - 2:00 (did 1:45s)

150 Cool down

(4570 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:45pm at the Y

by , July 12th, 2012 at 11:42 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    With my son coming down with some kind of big last night (with a 103 degree fever), and continuing into today, we decided that it was probably best to have him skip his swim lesson class today. But someone from the family had to go swim, so I gladly volunteered!

Warmup:

5 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (1:15s)
    5 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:30 (1:15s)

I just sortof trudged through this warmup feeling icky from all the 5 days in a row that I've been swimming this week since last weekend meet on Sunday. I've really gotten used to 3 a week swimming, and already have outdone both that and the yardage, so I'm tired, but its a good tired.

Main Set:

5 rounds of:
    • 1 x 150 Free Pull @ 1:50 (went 1:42/1:43s)
    • 1 x 50 Fly @ 1:10 Fast (went :33/:34s)

2 x 25 Free @ :20
    2 x 50 Free @ :40
    2 x 75 Free @ 1:00
    2 x 100 Free @ 1:20 (1:10/1:08)
    2 x 75 Free @ 1:00 (:54/:52)
    2 x 50 Free @ :40 (:34/:33)
    2 x 25 Free @ :20 (:15s)

100 EZ

20 x 25 Kick @ :30
    • 2 Flutter Kick w/ board
    • 2 SDK on back (maybe did 3-4 underwater kicks)
    • repeat 5x to complete 20
    100 EZ

--------------------
    3500 Yards in 1 hour 2 min.

For some reason I'm feeling urged to do an 800 IM tomorrow. not sure why?