View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Run plus swim

by , November 6th, 2009 at 07:43 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Did a 10k recovery run at a 9:40 per mile pace. Beautiful day to do a run with the leaves starting to peak.

Swam an easy 1800 yards while team was practicing. Got to do some starts with the team. The coach noted that my reaction time was slow but my jump off the start and break-out were great. This is good to know. Hope to work a little bit on the reaction thing.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Thursday November 5, 2009

I slept in Thursday. I swam Thursday night on my own before pilates. I had just over 30 minutes. I was planning on running before pilates but my running shoes were at work (beside my purse oddly enough).

W/U
    200 FR
    200 K
    200 Pull
    200 FR

6 x 50 done as 2 x (50 fl, 50 br, 50 fr) on 1:00

25 fast - went :15
    50 fast - try to go 25 time x 2 +1 went :31
    100 fast - double 50 time and add 2 - went 1:09 - felt awful I was thrashing - blech! I've gone 1:04/1:05 in practice before.

75 ez

3 x 50 ez fl, br, fr

Hour of pilates on the reformer. LOVING pilates. Hope to try hot yoga this weekend now that I'm back and back to 100%.

My plan for tomorrow is to get up early (yuck) and swim. Then go back to bed then run a couple of miles.

Sunday I want to run and do hot yoga. I'm trying like crazy to get in shape for Long Beach.

Events at Long Beach:
    100 Free (Friday)

50 Free & 50 Fly (Saturday)

100 Fly, 200 Free, 100 IM (Sunday)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Mental Health Day Swim

I took a vacation day today, mainly because I seriously needed to get away from my office far a day to preserve what's left of my sanity. Also, my pool will be closed this weekend for a USA Swimming meet, and this gives me a chance to get a swim in. (The pool closes early on Friday nights and I generally can't get to the pool in time.)

Anyway, I went to the pool around 1:30 and I was surprised to find that it closes on Fridays from 2:30 to 5, for the kids' team workout. This meant a short workout.

But I also found (not for the first time) tha ti ave a lot more energy in daytime workouts than at night. I suppose this makes sense -- I'm not as tired (or worn out) from my job. It may not be totally physical fatigue, but the mental fatigue has an effect. Anyway, it was the best quality workout that I've had all week -- faster swims -- even if it was shorter.

I should do this more often -- if I can.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Fri Nov 6th, 2009 DOUBLE

by , November 6th, 2009 at 03:38 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Nov 6th, 2009 NOON
    2nd work out today

decided to go to the NOON work out & take another whack at the 100 SDK for time
    kinda like a prelim final meet. plus I need to be ready to race 5 or 6 times a day

Sat Nov 7th 8:00 am I'm going to work out with UT MEN, do a quadrathlon

ADDED THE LINK to the meet infor for the Incarnate Word SCM Meet, I really like this pool & hope we get a great team turn out.

MEETS:

University of the Incarnate Word (SCM) Masters Meet
    Saturday, November 21 & Sunday 22, 2009
    14 Days till San Antonio

2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

27 Days till Long Beach

FOUR OR MORE SDKs off EVERY wall

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY BLOCKS
    NOON to 1:15
    Tyler coached
    UT Swim Center main pool north end, set up for
    Swam with Larry, Erin, Max & James Fike
    arrived 12:20 ish

WORE B70 legs

warm up
    missed

MAIN SET

100 easy

100 easy

assigned 4 x 50 fast on 2:00
    did 3 kick, went 27, 27, 24.8

assigned 5 x 200 fast on 4:00
    did a few easy speed 50's

assigned 10 minute pull
    skipped it

changed into my
    B70 Full

100 SDK fast for time from dive
    roll off blocks
    tyler timed
    went 53.9
    (my lifetime best 100 SDK time)
    went out easier but still surfaced to breathe & broke streamline,
    going to try surfacing & staying streamlined

100 easy

25 belly SDK fast
    roll start
    tyler timed
    went 9.9
    15 meter split 5.6

25 easy

Noticed my B70's left BUTT cheek has a rip
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Friday afternoon playdate with the water

I swam solo this afternoon, and my swim really felt more like playing than working out. Here's what I did.

1000 warmup

10 x 100 IM @ 1:45, odds standard IMs, evens IM variants
    [For the IM variants, I did all-breaststroke-kick IM, upside down IM, corkscrew IM, IM-order-arms-with-reverse-IM-order-legs, and feet first IM (just a 50 of this, since it's pretty slow)]

Then a thoughtful 400 IM combining kick and swim, focusing on what body movements were propelling me through the water, what might be impeding that movement, how I was powering various motions in my stroke, whether muscles I wasn't using were staying relaxed, that sort of thing.

Then, since I was feeling in that sort of mood, I did one of my favorite technique sets, which I think of as "wrong way/right way" 50s. Basically, you exagerate a stroke flaw on the first 25 of a 50, then fix it on the 2nd 25. Here's the freestyle stroke flaws I focused on doing, then correcting:
    *unstreamlinedness (not just on the push-off, but on hand entry, body position, and kicking amplitude)
    *head position--looking ahead rather than down at bottom of pool
    *crossover arm entry
    *back arching
    *dropped elbows
    I did these 5 flaws twice through, for a total of 2 x (5 x 50). It is amazing how easy and good it feels to your stroke efficiently after swimming it really badly.
    Then I did a 50-100-150-200 FR progression on ample rest,focusing on maintaining great form throughout.

Then, since I hadn't done much of anything that felt hard, I did a semifast kick set, 12 x 50 K @ 1:00, odds FR, evens ST. I tried to keep all the kicks under :50, and on the last 3 I replaced the first 25 of the 50 with a sprint 25 swim.

Then easy 200 plus some sculling and dophin jumps to warm down.

I left feeling dreamy and eager for my meets to get here!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Lots of Backstroke

by , November 6th, 2009 at 01:52 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    11/6/09

SCY, with Carrie

300 swim free
    200 IM kick
    300 pull back, w/buoy only

swim 3 sets of 4 x 100 back:
    Set #1 on 1:40,
    (averaged 1:28, took about 20 extra sec after #4 so the clock could come to the top)
    Set #2 on 1:35,
    (averaged 1:25, took about 40 extra sec after #4 so the clock could come to the top)
    Set #3 on 1:40:
    (averaged 1:24, this set hurt a bit)

100 easy

pull free w/paddles&buoy:
    3x around: {150 on 2:30, 50 on 1:00 fast}
    (averaged 2:05 on the 150's, 35 on the 50's)

swim down 200
    --
    Total: 2900 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. FAST Fri Nov 6th, 2009, lifetime best 100 SDK

by , November 6th, 2009 at 11:11 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Nov 6th, 2009

Following Moscow world cup at http://tr.im/omega

6:00 pm Today UT Women have a duel meet vs A&M Women in Austin, TX

8:00 am Tomorrow I'm doing a quadrathlon with UT Men

MEETS:

14 Days till San Antonio

27 Days till Long Beach

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY no blocks
    %:30 - 8:00
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center diving well
    Swam with tyler, todd, nate, ned, mike & mark

WORE B70 full

warm up
    15 minutes choice

MAIN SET

200 FREE FAST FOR TIME on 5:00
    went 1:52

4 x 50 fr fast on 2:00
    went 25, 24, 23, 23

moved up to diving well where we swam in 5 stations 5 minutes in each one, minute & a half to move.
    1) 10 x 25
    odds FL fast on 15 went 12's
    evens easy on 45
    2) 5 x 50 on 1:00 done 25 SDK shooter 25 easy K on back
    3) 5:00 swim (did half)
    4)5:00 pull (did half)
    5) vertical kick:
    assigned :30 sec with weight
    :30 no weight,
    Did :30 with weight :30 rest

100 easy

rest 5:00

100 SDK fast for time from dive
    went 54
    (which is my lifetime best 100 SDK time)
    needed to stay streamlined longer on 2nd 50

100 easy

Updated November 6th, 2009 at 03:20 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. The Fly Nut is Back

by , November 6th, 2009 at 07:56 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Just felt so good this morning and it was Long Course, I couldn't help myself. Yes I did the 500 Fly but with fins. It was EASY!

400, 300, 200, 100 @:15R Free
    500 Free Kick w/fins
    500 Fly w/fins
    500 Back kick w/fins concentrate on strong kick with good rotation
    300 Free w/paddles & bouy Long stroke
    5x100@2:00 Free sprint 15 meters in and out of wall
    200 Free EASY

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Swim and Yoga

by , November 5th, 2009 at 10:41 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    A big workout day for me! I know I will sleep well tonight!

Warm-up: 500 easy free, 300 kick

100, 200, 300, 400, 500 free - work streamline and stroke - 30 seconds rest

6 x 100 with fins - 35 underwater, 65 easy - 1 minute rest

100 easy

10 x 50 - build on 30 seconds rest- did free/fly on odds and free/free on evens

500 stretch out swim

4 x 25 fly with fins AFAP on :45

100 easy

4 x 25 back with fins AFAP on :45

200 easy

Immediately went to the yoga workout after this workout. I was pretty tight in my hamstrings. Must be from the running.

Have had a change of heart about the swim meet on December 5. Schedule looks like I may be able to do it afterall. It sure won't be pretty, but I really need to get a meet in as it has already been 5 months since my last one. Don't want to wait until Auburn or else it would have been 8 months!

Don't know what I will swim yet, but definitely planning on the 50 fly. Thinking about 50 free, 50 back, 100 I.M., and 100 free.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. 11-05-09 got one out of two workouts in

by , November 5th, 2009 at 10:18 PM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Folsom Aquatic Center

Warm
    2x100FR, 2x100 BK
    (Did a segment of Chris's workout from the 28th of Oct. I swam this as a recovery swim)
    Main
    300FR on 4:15 ...on 5:00
    200IM on 3:30
    100BK on 2:00
    300IM on 5:00 (done as s/d/d or d/d/s)
    200BK on 3:20
    100FR on 1:25
    (added about 10-15 seconds to change goggles to vanquisher plus for backstroke, between each set...outdoor pool, bright sun.)

50 cool

Very very sore and had a hard time with making the intervals...
    Since it was intended to be a recovery w/o, I didn't sweat it.

Folsom is a warmer pool @ 80 degrees (warmer than my home pool; Union Mine) by about 2 degrees and its 7 ft deep end to end. The bottom markers are not equidistant so the far end you have to take an extra stroke before the turn, otherwise you will turn and No Wall! They have lockers, benches and hot individual showers!

Ever since Union Mine got its boiler replaced, they have been keeping the temp at around 77-78, the thermometer says 80, but it lies! If you don't keep moving, you will get cold. One of the master swimmers started a petition to turn up the heat a degree or two, a lot of people have signed, so hopefully the powers that be will warm it up a bit.

I wanted to make this evenings AQUM workout, but I decided to feed the horses, goats, dog and cats, then take out the trash, which requires driving up a gravel road. By the time I hit the road, it was too late Kind of senseless to arrive late to practice, then have to rush out so I'm not late for work.

Job search is not so good, my current boss asked if I could relocate to Dallas. Dallas Aquatic Masters has 6 pools to choose from, pretty cool...However, my wife has an excellent job, I have a Junior in High school and I'm a native Californian; I could never give up my Pacific ocean, Sierra Nevada mountains, American River and cold local pool!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Choosing Meet Events

Now that I have decided that Iím NOT attempting to swim all the events this season, I need to figure out what I AM going to swim. My two upcoming SCM meets are

*Nov 21: The 1st Annual Bearcat Masters Invitational Meet, Baruch College, Manhattan
    *Dec. 5-6: Colonies SCM Zone Championships, Dec. 5-6, Flushing Meadows Corona Park Pool in Queens

Zones is the meet Iíll be tapering for, so Iíll start by looking at its event order and figuring out what Iíll swim there. Iíll use the Baruch Bearcat Meet to swim events that Iím unable to swim at Zones, or want to swim twice this season. One of my criteria for choosing races is my goal of swimming personal 40-44 AG bests; this is my last year in that age group.

At Zones I can swim 5 events per day (not per session). Itís a local meet, so there will probably be enough teammates there to count on some relay swims.

Saturday Dec 5 MorningóSession #1
    1. Women 400 FR: I havenít swum this event SCM since 2001, so I would pick up an automatic AG best time. I did swim it LCM in 2008 (5:16) and was pleased with that time, but the experience didnít leave me eager to swim it again any time soon, let alone open a multi-day meet with it. I think Iíll pass.
    2. Mixed 400 Medley Relay
    3. 200 BR: Iíve only swum this event once before, in 2008, so my AG/Masters/Lifetime best for SCM is a 3:16 (1:36). I would like to swim it again and see if I can better that time. One complicating factor may be the relay right beforehand.
    4. 50 BK: One of my fave events. My AG best is 34.45, which I swam as relay leadoff in 2006. I donít know if I can better that, but I definitely want to swim this. A 50 right after a 200 probably wonít be too much of a problem, especially at a biggish meet.
    5. 100 FL: I donít have an AG best, so this would be a gimme, but I donít particularly want to swim it, all the more so since I would be swimming events right before, and going into it a bit tired.
    6. 100 FR: My very least favorite event. My AG best is 1:09, which is probably beatable, but nope, not swimming this.
    7. 50 BR: I really like this event and am always up for seeing what the breaststroke speed gods have in store for me on any given day. My AG bestis 38.98. This is one of several events where my masters PR for LCM (37.8) beats my best SCM time (38.0).
    8. 200 BK: I like this event, but have already swum it well once this year (2:45 in May). I think Iíll skip this fatiguing event in the interest of conserving some energy for later swims.
    9. 100 IM: This used to be one of my fave events but Iíve struggled with it in recent years. Iíd like to see if I can beat my 1:16 AG best.
    10-12. 200 FR Relay: I definitely hope I get to swim this. Swimming leadoff to get a 50 FR time would be really great.
    Saturday Dec 6 AfternoonóSession #2
    13. Mixed 800 Relay: Please not. 200 FR is my other very least favorite event, although swimming it with relay buddies is better than swimming it as an individual event. Besides, I would like to save my energy for the next event.
    14. 400 IM: I swam this event for the first time ever about 10 years ago, when I was trying out a new event every year, and immediately fell in love with it. I love training for it, and love the challenges of swimming it well. My AG PR is 6:02, and it will take a good swim to beat that. I have an outside shot of swimming under 6:00, which would be cool.
    15. 800 FR, and
    16. 1500 FR: I was willing to swim one of these as part of my every-event project, but now that Iím no longer doing that Iím not inclined to impersonate a distance freestyler this season. Iíve never really engaged fully with the challenges of swimming a distance free race, so maybe that is a project for another season.

So, that gives me for the first day of Zones: 200 BR, 50 BK, 50 BR, 100 IM, and 400 IM.

Sunday, December 6 MorningóSession #3
    17. Menís 400 FR: Hurray! Iíll get to sleep in!
    18. 400 FR Relay: Will swim if coerced. See comments about 100 FR above.
    19. 200 FL: I actually like this event ok. Itís another Iíve never fully engaged with. I have a glide-y fly that is pretty easy to swim, and thatís what I did the last time I swam this (2:57). To go significantly faster Iíd really have to work on maintaining my regular fly strokeówhich is about 10% faster, but about 20% more effortfulóover a 200, and I donít really want to make that a focus this season. So Iíll skip this one.
    20. 100 BR: Iíve been doing more breaststroke in recent years, and am eager to swim it again after being sidelined this summer with my knee injury. I donít know if I can beat my AG best of 1:28 (41.8), but Iíll see what happens.
    21. 50 FR: I love 50 Frees! But I also like the events before and after it. I'd like to go under :30; oddly enough, my 40-44 best is 29.9 in both LCM and SCM.
    22. 200 IM: One of my fave events. My AG best is a tough 2:41. I definitely want to swim it, and will see what I can do.
    23. 100 BK: I love 100 BK as well. That puts 4 of my faves right in a row. My AG best is a 1:16; I swam a 1:17 LCM this summer so might have a shot of besting that one.
    24. 50 FL: I generally jump at the chance to swim a 50 of anything, but am just not feeling the love for my fly right now. My AG best is 32.9, which is a pretty good time for me.
    25. 200 FR: My AG best is . . . um. . . a 2:39. Also, this is another event where my LCM best currently beats my SCM PR. But those are not enough inducements to swim this wretched event, or to do the training it requires.
    26-28. 200 Medley Relays: Hope to swim this, and maybe get an extra go at a good 50 BK time!

So, the events I would like to swim on Sunday are the 100 BR, 50 FR, 200 IM, and 100 BK. The trouble is, these are all clumped together, and 4 events back-to-back is probably just too much. Iíll probably sign up for all of these, and decide nearer to the meet (after the timeline is published) which I want to swim and which Iím willing to scratch. Itís possible that I might get a time for the 50 FR from a relay the previous dayóif Iím happy with my relay swim I could skip it as an individual event. I could also swim the 100 BR, 50 FR, and 100 BK at the Baruch meet two weeks before, then skip the ones I was most satisfied with at Zones. I think that is what I will do.

So, now Iíve worked my events. Iíll send in my entries, think about my goals and keys for each event, and figure out what I need to do during my training between now and then to prepare myself for swimming fast!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Vids from Sprint Workout, Thurs., Nov. 5

by , November 5th, 2009 at 08:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY @ GMU w/Speedo & Jazz:

Warm up:

700 variety

1 x 25 medium fast back SDK + 25 EZ

Pre-Sprint Set:

6 x 25 dolphin free*

4 x 25 burst kick**

4 x 25 dolphin breast***

* Dolphin free is where you use a dolphin kick instead of a flutter kick in free. The kick occurs when the hand enters the water. You can have a single frequency or double frequency kick. The first 3-4 I was not doing a dolphin kick but using a combo body undulation + flutter kick. This felt pretty natural, and may not be too far off my sprint freestyle, which I'm been told has some dolphin action. It certainly felt like I had more DPS. Might not be a bad way to swim a 100 free b/c I can't keep up a fast windmill for a 100.

** Burst kick = push off, streamline w/SDKs, then burst into huge overkick with feet coming completely out of the water, cruise the last 10 yards free.

*** Dolphin breast = a drill where you do an evil pull with fins. We used the fins as a "grip," and didn't do a dolphin kick with them. This forces you to concentrate on and perfect your pull without having your hips drop.

Collectively, these three mini-sets made for a great pre-sprinting warm up.

Speed Work:

2 x (25 medium fast SDK on back + 25 EZ)

1 x 25 AFAP free + 25 EZ

1 x 100 cruiser back SDK

100 EZ

Drill set:

After Jazz & Speedo left, I did a short drill set.

4 x (3 x 50 w/fins) @ 1:00
    #1 = dolphin kick on side
    #2 = single arm fly drill
    #3 = 25 easy speed fly + 25 DAB

100 EZ

Total: 2150

10 minutes in hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

This was a super fun practice. We spent a lot of time chatting about technique and training and drills, so also very informative. We didn't do a lot of speed work, which was good for me b/c my legs were still absolutely fried from yesterday's effort. It was more of a recovery workout actually. I had considered doing the P90X plyo video tonight, but I think it's better to wait until tomorrow. We did see the GMU college and masters coach briefly. I tried to assure him that Pete was putting in the yards, but he didn't seem to believe me ...

Videos:

We took a 6 videos. The quality isn't great, but they're still informative. Here they are:

Speedo & Jazz 25 AFAP free, 2x:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRMXuyqGb9E"]YouTube- Speedo & Jazz 25 free[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6M79PXF0Fc"]YouTube- Speedo & Jazz 25 free[/ame]

Wolfy is the expert, but the things I quickly notice are: (1) Jazz is entering thumb first, especially with his left hand. (I think he's doing this intentionally to quicken his catch, but it can hurt the shoulders), (2) Pete's head position is a little high; (3) Jazz has the edge on kicking.

Speedo & Fort 25 free AFAP
    (Battle of the Latent Loper and the Straight Arm/Windmiller)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx1fKwoSkyU"]YouTube- Speedo & Fort 25 free[/ame]

My head position is way too high. I need to work more on correcting this. Part of this may be the dolphin action.

Fort SDK Shooter:

Garden variety demo shooter. Everyone should work on these in practice.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D57aH4FcSAg"]YouTube- Fort SDK Shooter[/ame]

Speedo's Start:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdlPcy8e_iA"]YouTube- Speedo Start[/ame]

Think you need to keep your legs together on the start!

Fort Cruising 100 Back Shooter:

This is not a fast example; my legs were too cooked for that. This is a hypoxic 100 shooter. I came up at the flags after smashing my heels on the wall getting too close the first time. Jazz said I sounded like a whale with my big exhale and inhale at the third wall and that my hypoxic work was costing me brain cells. You can see how he gets the girls.

I'd like to film a very fast 100 w/MF from underwater sometime.

Oh, and I was surprised my feet/legs were apart more than I thought ... Looks like I took 12, 12, 13, 14 kicks (but then I didn't come up at the flags on the last 25).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L11nRXpMswE"]YouTube- Cruiser 100 Back Shooter[/ame]

Food Blog:

Breakfast: smoothie with kiwi, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, 1/2 scoop of whey protein, flax seed oil and coconut water

Snack on way to workout: balance bar and cliff shot blocks

Lunch: large salad w/lettuce, grilled chicken, tomates, peppers, parmesan cheese and flax
    seeds; fruit salad with kiwi, blackberries and blueberries

Dinner: homemade mac & cheese, steamed peas & carrots

Drank Pure Sport during and after workouts again.

Will have a snack later b/c I'm still hungry and don't have She Puffery's iron discipline. Plan on a glass of chard too, as my wine fast won't begin until Nov. 13. She Puff thinks this one will be tough. I'm slightly worried that I will have trouble falling asleep without my chard fix. It's almost become part of my bedtime routine. lol

She Puff also did my hypoxic kick set from yesterday and thought it was easy, proving that she is a kick ass kicker. I have to go look at the refinements she made to my set. She really should just stop protesting and become a backstroker ...

Updated November 6th, 2009 at 03:59 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Non-Garbage recovery

by , November 5th, 2009 at 08:08 PM (Random Nonsense)
    I told Quick I would post this, but it is pretty boring.

The goal is to work on my new stroke and reintegrate my kick with it. It kinda stopped when I started thinking about my arms.

Recovery day

Warm up
    200 free
    300 kick
    200 free
    300 back

Main Set
    8x25s kick swim (kick hard to mid pool, then try to maintain the kick but full stroke. Hard to coordinate for me)

200 back

24x25 Focus
    - eyes down
    - wide entry
    - don't lift head on breath
    - consistent kick during stroke
    - consistent kick during breath
    - KICK
    - six beat kick in tempo with arms
    - pull straight back from entry
    - enter with finger tips not thumb
    - KICK
    - no outsweep
    You get the idea. Each 25 I was just trying to swim perfectly, and finding lots of things that were falling apart when I tried to fix something else.

Why did I need a recovery day? Today was my 7th day in the water and yesterday was team sprint day which happens once a month kinda randomly. We consolidate from 18 lanes to 8, divided into two groups (fast and not as fast). Then the fastest people lead each of the lanes, then the next fastest, ect. Everyone should be in a "heat" with people who might be about their speed.

The workout was something like this:
    200 Pull moderate
    4x100 descend on 1:40
    - went 1:10 to :59
    200 Pull moderate
    3x100 descend on 1:40
    - went 1:06 to 1:00
    200 Pull moderate
    3x100 descend on 1:40
    - went 1:03 to 1:00
    200 Pull moderate
    4x50 FAST on 1:00
    - went :30 to :28

Most importantly, I only let the fast sprinter beat me on the first 3 100s. He wasn't able to bet me again after that. He lacks endurance but is actually a much faster/better sprinter than me. His name is not Paul.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Requiem for a Spider

by , November 5th, 2009 at 04:49 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Preliminary biopsy-of-lesion results in, and it looks like I tentatively can cross at least a couple dire items off the list.

The beautiful blonde dermatologist called today to explain the findings.

There was, for instance, evidence of bacteria on the surface of the lesion, though this is hardly unexpected since wounds tend to attract bacteria. We jointly decided these bacteria were most likely of the ex-post-facto opportunistic variety, as opposed to the causative sort--almost like scavenging low-level criminals that stumble upon a murder victim and rob his corpse blind but do not bear responsibility for the homocide itself.

The pathologist did want to run some additional stains for tuberculosis (which I did not think caused skin lesions, but that is why I remain a fake doctor) and syphilis (which an earlier test, the VDRL, or venereal disease research lab test, had already provided a clean bill of health--"not bloody likely they will find syphilis in a fine young man like you," said the beautiful blonde dermatologist, maybe in slightly different ways. "Why, then," I replied, "would they test for syphilis is so fine a young man like me who has already passed, with flying colors, both his VDRL and holy water drip tests [wherein a drop of holy water is placed upon the manhood, causing a horrible burning sensation in sinners]?" She replied, "They found evidence that your plasma cells were clustered, and whenever they see this, they just run a syphilis test. But you don't have to worry.")

Other tests also seemed to indicate that my underlying skin cells were of normal configuration, no suggestion of malignancy, in other words.

At this point, the BBD said that something to do with my relatively normal level of eosinophils also indicated that the culprit was probably not fungi of one sort or another.

There was some other reason why poison plants--oak, sumac, ivy, and maybe the deadly pyretheum daisy--were also ruled out, maybe eosophinils or clustered plasma cells, to be honest, I was starting to get confused.

At which point, the BBD said, "More and more, it's looking like a bite is the most likely thing."

What form of bite is hard to say, though spiders appear near the top of the list. Alas, there is no way to test for spider venom at this point. If it was a bite, then my body seems to have reacted pretty violently to it.

I told her that when I was in the Amazon jungle, I got a bite from something on my ankle bone. It never hurt or itched but took months to heal. I went into the jungle just as the Bush-Gore recount was beginning, and came out ten days later with the recount not yet decided.

I still have a mark from that bite: my jungle tattoo.

Perhaps the groin lesion, which is healing over but still itches and causes weird sensitivity to broad swaths of the surround thigh and buttocks skin, will one day be a fondly remembered River of No Return tattoo.

I have been vlogging about my lesion for so long now that it will be hard to give the topic up. But it is time to move on.

So please permit one last glorious celebration of this chapter in the life of Jim.

Unless something drastic occurs, I will do my best to speak of this never more. If you need ongoing help with your diet, or implosion therapy for arachnophobia, this little slide show will always be there for you even as I move on to life's next round of fresh disasters.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_05u2GIWmM"]YouTube- Requiem for a spider bite[/ame]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Fun with the Monofin

by , November 5th, 2009 at 11:55 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    11/5/09

SCY, solo

400 swim free

4x75 choice alt. 50 drill/25 swim
    (Did these in IM order)

swim 4 x 50 free on :55 descend 1-4
    (went 40->33)

swim 2 sets of 4 x 25 on 40:
    #1 fast/easy, #2 easy/fast, #3 build, #4 fast
    (set 1 free, set 2 no free)

kick w/MF: 3 sets of 4 x 25 underwater on :45), 1 min. rest between sets
    (alternated on my back and face down. was coming up between the flags and wall, around 14-15 sec on all)

100 easy

3 sets of 4 x 75 (4 in a row of one stroke; on 1:30 as 25 drill/50 build
    (went fly, back, free cheated on fly and went on 1:45)

200 swim down
    --
    Total: 2600 yards.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Thu Nov 5th, 2009

by , November 5th, 2009 at 11:42 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Nov 5th, 2009

MEETS:

15 Days till San Antonio

28 Days till Long Beach

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY no blocks
    6:30 - 8:00
    whitney coached
    UT Swim Center diving well
    Swam with larry, ned, mike & paul
    BESIDE TYLER TODD & erin

WORE briefs

warm up

MAIN SET

Assigned: 4 rounds of 50, 100, 150, 200
    did: every other 50
    between each set we did:
    round 1 8 x 25 fl on 30
    round 2 6 x 25 bk on 30
    round 3 4 x 25 br on 35
    round 4 2 x 25 fr on 30

assigned 10 x 100 on 1:30
    did 10 x 50 fr on 1:30 held 27's

Assigned: 8 x 75 with fins on 1:10
    did: 8 x 25 SDK shooters on 1:10
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. The aftermath

by , November 5th, 2009 at 07:14 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Yesterdays workout really made my legs sore in many ways. I would rather have the muscle I am building than the fat I am trying to rid myself of and most of it is hip and thighs.

10x100@1:40 Free
    10x50@1:10 Fly skull w/fins
    500 Free kick w/fins as 50 easy 50 fast
    5x100@1:30 Free w/paddles & bouy
    300 Free 1 paddle on weak arm and 1 fin on opposite leg build my right arm strength
    200 alt 50 back/50 free Easy

Total 3000 yards

There is a significant difference in speed between my right and left arms on a 50 I can pull in 1:05 on the right arm and :55 on the left on a set of 10x50. Most of the kids I coach are about 5 seconds difference between arms.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. 11-04-09 a little Gym & Swim

by , November 5th, 2009 at 01:41 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Lords Gym A.M.
    2x5 Pull-ups and dips w/ 60 lb assist
    2x12 & 1x8 Incline chest press DB 25lbFast 35lb
    3x12 curls 25 Fast
    3x12 Overhead lying down triceps 35 DB Fast
    3x8 Flys 10 Faster
    3x8 Overhead 10 Very Fast
    3x12 Narrow grip row 90 100 not so fast
    3x12 Lat pull downs 90 Fast
    1x12 Hanging knee raises .

Legs and arms were still very sore and it was hard to walk due to adding heavy leg presses & bear crawls to the routine on Monday.

UMHS - 5:30-7:30
    Warm 2x100, 100P, 100K (Coach kept asking if I was warm, so I kept the warm up short this week)
    Drill
    10x50 Capt Nemo drill (same as yesterday, but I gave it a name)
    Pull
    5x100 FR Pull on 1:45 ( was avg 1:20) used small paddles, loaned my big paddles to Dr. Bob
    Kick
    6x75 K BK dolphin/side dolphin/other side dolphin on 1:30 (core and legs were shot, had to do them on 2:00 w/ fins)
    Sprint
    was given
    20x50 from blocks 25 100%/ 25 EZ 5 ea, IM order. (Did 5 Fly (~:12-:14), 2 BK (:18) and 1 FR(:13), seniors were wrapping it up)
    50 cool
    I have been working on fixing my fly kick; now I have 2 kicks and don't even think about it. Continuing to work on keeping pinky's up (or thumbs down) and got some great coaching on transitioning from dive/SDK to first stroke.
    Trying to keep the training intensity up to break through this annoying plateau.
    Reno meet in 4.5 weeks; not a big meet, the great swimmers avoid this one, however for me a relatively "poor" swimmer its a good training/set NEW benchmarks meet for the SCY season.

Updated November 5th, 2009 at 11:30 AM by EricOrca

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Planning
  19. Hard! Wed., Nov. 4

by , November 4th, 2009 at 10:11 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM: Hot Yoga:

Went to the 10:00 am hot yoga class. Didn't suffer quite as much and didn't need quite as much water as usual. Didn't even have to dump water on top of my head during the last 15 minutes.

PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Today, I used the structure of one of Ande's sprint workouts from awhile ago. (I have a note on FB in which I collect sprint oriented workouts I like.) But instead of doing the 15 100s in the set as increasing fast freestyle, I did them as increasingly hard backstroke SDK without fins. This was to serve the dual purpose of implementing Quick's advice (treat the 100 back as 50 swim/50 kick) and Chris' advice to do longer quality hypoxic sets sans fins. This was NOT easy. It took some will power to get through it, but I think it was worthwhile. This CO2 tolerance set was definitely harder than my endurance kick set from Nov. 1.

Anyway, here's how it went:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Main set: Hypoxic Kick + Sprints:

5 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:00 (no fins)
    SDKs = 12, 10, 10, 10 by 25

50 EZ

8 x 25 easy speed fly w/fins @ 75% @ :35

4 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:15 (no fins)
    SDKs = 13, 12, 12, 12 by 25s

50 EZ

8 x 25
    odds= fast evil
    evens = EZ

3 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:30 (no fins)
    SDKs = 14, 13, 13, 13 by 25s

50 EZ

8 x 25 easy speed fly w/fins @ 75% @ :40

2 x 100 backstroke kick @ 2:30 (no fins)
    SDKs = 15, 14, 14, 14 by 25s

50 EZ

8 x 25
    odds = fast free w/fins @ 90%
    evens = EZ

1 x 100 back
    SDKs = 16, 15, 15, 15 by 25s (no fins)

100 EZ

Total: 3300

10 minutes in hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I am dead after 3 hours of working out. The hypoxic kicking definitely took it out of me. I had some cramping issues on the last few hundreds, which surprised me as I hadn't had any calf cramps recently. Of course, I have pounded my legs the last few days, so it could be that. Or, I guess, it could be the yoga beforehand.

I'm hoping to work out with Speedo, Cage Fighter and Jazz tomorrow.

I tried out the Pure Sport workout and recovery drinks today. Banana-strawberry flavor. It didn't make me nauseous like the Hammer products, so that was quite excellent. The recovery drink I split in half and used half after yoga and half after swimming. The taste was just too strong to have in one dose. I hope that doesn't negate its effectiveness. I have another swim friend who really likes Pure Sport as well.

Comparison:

I notice that lovely Jimby prominently displayed my botched 50 back in LCM from 2008 Zones on FB. I slipped on the start and sunk in the water, going 33.4. So, for what it's worth you can compare my 2008 (33.4) and 2009 (31.99) 50 LCM backstrokes. You can see me drop an F bomb in 2008. B70s in both.

2008: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaFortressa

2009: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_QnCTP2n2w&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Leslie's 50 LCM Backstroke National Championship Performance[/ame]

P90X:

I got my P90X plyo video in the mail. Am anxious to give it a whirl. But probably not tomorrow right before a sprint workout.

Food Blog:

I'm going to write down my food for the next weeks leading up to my SCM meet. As I recall from the last time I started this project, I used a pretty low carb approach for a month and then increased carbs for the couple weeks before SCY Zones. In retrospect, that seemed to work pretty well. This time, I'm not eliminating carbs. I think I really should focus more on portion size and skipping desserts, etc. For example, I ordered Thai food with a friend a couple days ago -- I ate way too much b/c it's so tasty.

Breakfast:

large smoothie with one banana, strawberries, frozen mixed berries, scoop of yogurt, flax seed oil, 1/2 scoop of whey protein

Lunch:

salmon, salad with tomatos & cucumbers, small box of junior mints (lol)

Snacks:

Pure Sport recovery drink after yoga and swimming and Pure Sport workout drink during swim.
    apples w/ peanut butter
    cheese & crackers

Dinner:

quesadilla with cheese, peppers, tomatoes & mushrooms
    balance bar in car

(Dinner was a bit of a disaster tonight as I was in the car driving to myriad things between 4-9 pm. I had to make separate dinners for everyone. And I still have to pack lunches. I'm sure I'll need another snack -- I'm still hungry.)

Updated November 5th, 2009 at 11:03 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  20. Wednesday, November 4

by , November 4th, 2009 at 10:03 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Did the 4 mile leap frog run today. This type of run always just kills me. Fell behind the last mile as usual. One of my friends was a little concerned for me because he had seen a rather strange-acting guy the last mile. My friend would stop every block and look back to be sure I was o.k. I wondered why he was so worried about me, but he told me why when we were done. Just another reason why I think it is good for women to run in groups.

Updated November 4th, 2009 at 10:18 PM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized