View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -06/09/10

by , June 8th, 2010 at 02:24 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    We host our LC meet this weekend so we'll drop the yardage a bit.

LCM

WARM UP:
    4 X 100 free 1:45
    4 X 100 kick 2:30
    4 X 100 50 stroke/50 free 2:00
    4 X 50 stroke 1:15

9 X 100 free 2:00
    Descend 1-3/4-6/7-9

10 X 50 1:30
    Choice
    #3-6-9 are fast

4 X {start-turn-finish

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Grasshopper Blogging Advice

by , June 8th, 2010 at 12:25 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Recently, a rookie USMS blogger turned to me with a look of admiration and perplexity on his young, 42-year-old face and asked me two earnest questions. I can’t remember the exact wording he used, but it was pretty close to this:

1. Jim, you are such an amazing, preternaturally gifted vlogger, I feel sheepish to approach you directly with my Lilliputian’s inquiries. But I can’t help myself, so great is my need for answers. First of all, why can’t you write more vlogs—two-a-days, perhaps, but at the very minimum, something every day, if even just a haiku or villanelle? Honestly, I don’t mean to be so demanding here, so needy. But you haven’t posted a new vlog since May. Speaking for many, many, many of us in the greater USMS community, life without our daily dollop of Jimtastic Jimdiosyncractic life wisdom comes very close to being, well, unlivable. When oh when will you vlog once more?

2. Secondly, as an aspiring blogger myself, who hopes to attract the occasional view and comment, whose own efforts here started out promisingly with 100 views for the inaugural posting, but which has been backsliding slowly but surely ever since (precisely the opposite, I must add, of your own vlogging course, which has continued to gain momentum over the years like Genghis Khan’s small rag tag hordes eventually coalescing into the world’s largest army ever!), I am hoping you might offer me some insights and advice into what makes a popular blog?

Oh, grasshopper!

Please, feel free to always come to me with your earnest entreaties and queries!

Like the Robber Barons of yore, most of life’s astonishing success stories like me reach a point in our trajectories towards the heavens when it is no longer just about ME, ME, ME, ME, and a little more ME! Eventually, the likes of me feel compelled to give back something, to prepare the next generation to take our place when the palatial sarcophagus is erected and its precious cargo ready to sleep forever without a CPAP mask!

I am slouching ever so quickly in the direction of said sarcophagus and bed of everlasting granite! Nothing exceptional about me in this regard! I shall put on my death shroud pajama bottoms one leg at time, I assure you!

And so it is that while I still have apneic breath left in the ragged lungs, I shall answer your questions, thus, one by one.

1. Though this particular vlog here breaks the recent drought of entries, there is a reason for the drought. As perspicacious readers will note, we last left the groggy Jim and his Zarathustrianly high Epworth Score poised on the brink of obstructive sleep apnea treatment. Like many of my infirmities, I have managed to coax my real-world editor into letting me write about this topic for eventual magazine publication. He has, however, asked me to refrain from blogging about the topic until said article is done and published. I am doing my best to honor his request. Alas, as a somewhat obsessive fellow by nature, my ongoing travails in the world of sleep-wake disturbances are all I can think about lately. Until your recently merciful inquiries, dear grasshopper, gave me new fodder to ruminate over and write about, I couldn’t think of anything to opine about, so fixated were my thoughts on nocturnal oxygen deprivation, hypoxic brain damage, non-restorative multiple anterograde amnestic arousals, and so forth.

2. It’s hard to say what attracts views. Most people get very few. Leslie the Fortress Livingston, on the other hand, gets zillions. Some of my own entries, too, have attracted attention, though not all with the 7,500 plus hits of such classics at Lost Person Behaviour and Will Swim for Polish Vodka. It’s kind of a hit or miss thing.

I think Leslie does well partly because she is a pulchritudinous chick that men want to be and women want to be with, or whatever that old chestnut is. In any event, I believe there are tons of women swimmers out there who read Leslie’s excellent blog to learn about her sometimes eccentric training techniques and remedies for orthopedic and gastrointestinal havoc. That these techniques and remedies are seldom burdened by actual science is no doubt a plus. We live in age where the anecdotal trumps the statistical and evidentiary, and Leslie gives us the former in an entirely unadulterated manner. She also has her coterie of male followers like Qbrain and SwimStud. If you examine a typical Leslie blog, it’s usually filled with specific advice on dryland exercises, underwater monofinic shooter regimens, gluten-free recipes, Family Circus-like balancing act info, passionate tech suit advocacy, taper strategies, and so on. Always, these are delivered in a friendly manner with a hint of feistiness—like Doritos with lime. She gets a ton of hits and an amazing number of comments with virtually every stroke of her iMac keyboard.

But does such interesting and actionable advice account entirely for the dear girl’s popularity as the Queen of Blog? Personally, I think her true appeal transcends mere swimming. Say the phrase “social networking,” and Leslie defines both the “social” and the “networking” phases here. Leslie is constantly leaving comments for other bloggers and tending to her manifold online friendships with the expertise of a bonsai gardener. The reality is that Leslie is such a nice person, I think she’s become like the USMS de facto mom with whom and through whom everyone in the extended family diaspora communicates--the nexus point, if you will, of the masters swimming world at large.

But what about me?

My vlog, which I am no longer writing (no doubt to its detriment) quite so often under the influence of Ambien, takes another approach. Its connection to swimming is often tangential at best, though I do try to work in something here and there about swimming on occasion.

Case-in-point: during last night’s T-30 swim, I managed 2360 yards compared to your own 2200, right? Though who, really, is counting here. If we have learned one thing in the modern era, it’s that awards are given for participation, not victory! Enough about swimming.

I think the most popular of my vlog entries have been popular because I write—in perhaps an overly unashamed and unfiltered way—with precisely whatever weaselly human emotions I happen to be feeling at a particular time.

For instance, if I had had your subject matter today—first time swimming long course in 20 years, and doing so at a ridiculously early hour and with a new group of diehard swimmers I’ve never met before--I might have thrown in some references to the tolls taken by circadian rhythm shifts (with referenced scientific studies to bolster the claim), explain how this no doubt impacted my swimming performance accordingly, but despite this, I still managed to climb from 4th in my lane at Pitt’s morning practice to 1st place, my progress measured not so much by the joy I felt in my own heart, but the chagrin and downright misery so evident on the maws of the deposed alpha males whose spirits I had crushed.

Who knows, I might have even quoted Conan the Barbarian yet again in my vlog (I think I have referenced this quote every couple weeks since I began the vlog):

To wit, when asked, “What is the meaning of life?”

Conan the Barbarian answered:

“To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.”
    In any event, to sum up how to get more readers for your blog:

1. Be nice like Leslie
    2. Be weaselly like me

Oh, and post more pictures.

---------------------------------------------

Conan the Steroidian--Is his suit FINA legal? Can we wear knives?

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Tue June 8th, 2010 (FAST FRIDAY on a TUESDAY)

by , June 8th, 2010 at 11:29 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tue June 8th, 2010

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

LCM
    6:30 to 8:00
    Austin, UT Swim Center
    Whitney Coached
    swam with Tyler, Todd, Larry, Chris, Nate, Jon, & Erin
    dove in on 6:35ish
    wore B70 jammer

WARM UP
    200 sw
    200 k
    200 sw

MAIN SET

24 x 50 on 1:15
    odds: easy
    evens FAST (IM order) #2 fl, #4 bk, #6 br, #8 fr
    went 31's on fl, 34 on bk, 41 br, 30's fr

100 easy

assigned: 16 x 100 with FINS on 2:00
    odds: kick
    evens: FAST (IM order) #2 fl, #4 bk, #6 br, #8 fr
    DID: NO FINS, & fly drill on the fast fly

100 easy

2010 MEETS:

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Senior Circuit #4 Meet Info
    Austin, TX

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    2010 South Central Long Course
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES

FINA MASTERS top 10

FINA MASTERS WRs
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. June 8th workout

Little tired from 6 mile run the night before but grinded out the practice. Swam from 5-630am with the age group national team. (25yd pool)

Warmup-
    200 swim
    200 kick
    200 drill/swim by 25's

Main Sets (I picked the distance practice)

6x200's @ 2:45 decend 1-3 & 4-6, held 2:10, 2:06, 2:02

15x100 @ 1:20 decend by 3, held 1:04, 1:00, 58 for all 5 rounds

11x150's @ 2:05 hold steady pace, held 1:32 to 1:35 range

Warmdown- 400 pull
    5,350 yards

I've been getting into the distance stuff since after nationals. Think I will be focusing more on middle distance and distance. Also started running 6 miles every other day. Weight at nationals was 184, after todays practice 177. Need to drop a little more poundage, would like to be at 165-170 range.

First long course meet coming up this weekend. Have not swam long course meet in a few years and do not train in long course pool. Plan on swimming the 800free,100fly,200fly,100free and the 50 fly. Meet is in Lousiville about 2hrs from me so figured I would get my monies worth.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Churning it out today

by , June 8th, 2010 at 07:29 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    400 free
    300 free w/paddles & bouy
    200 free
    100 free kick
    10x50@1:00 w/fins odds 1 arm fly drill, evens strong fly
    500 fly kick w/fins alt 100 streamline/100 rotate 90 degrees every 10 kicks
    10x100@2:00 free w/paddles & bouy descend 1-5 and 6-10 went 1:45, 1:39, 1:36, 1:33, 1:27, 1:46, 1:40, 1:33, 1:29, 1:23
    500 w/fins choice of arm and back loosening drills

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Evening Swim LCM 6/7/10

by , June 7th, 2010 at 09:36 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Outside this evening for a swim. I worked out earlier in the day with weights for about 45 minutes and felt good. I had a muscle milk after the lifting rather than waiting all day and perhaps feeling too tired to swim.
    Swim went well here is what I did.

Warm Up
    Twice through.
    200 Kick
    200 Pull
    200 Swim

Stroke

10 x 50 BK 1:30 I held 1:10's for these and tried to focus on kicking right and breaking out...um...I hate the lane line and I think the feeling is mutual!

Free

10 x 100 2:00 I did these casually but tried to keep a good steady kick all the time. I went about 1:45 for the first 5 and tired into 1:52ish on the back end.

Monofin

500 Kicking various I took a few seconds between 100's.

Cool

Only time for 100 EZ...would have liked more but pool closed.
    3300 LCM in 90minutes.

Updated June 8th, 2010 at 08:04 AM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Good start to the Week

by , June 7th, 2010 at 04:49 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Coached the Sharks today
    It was a modified version of Coachkopie's workouts.

300 Swim
    300 25 Free / 25 Brst

3 x 100 Hold Even Pace for all 3 :15 r
    Masters 30 seconds between repeats
    Repeat 3x Increase speed each set
    go for it on last one on set 3

4x150 Pull Build by 50, BC if you want

3 x 50 Swim Smooth, Choice, Kick HARD
    :15 r
    repeat 6x take extra :15 between repeats.
    200 or so warm down....

I swam this work out after work, outside for the
    1st time this year. I like swimming outside.

I liked the 3x100 set. I did them on 1:30
    1)1:20,1:20,1:20
    2)1:16,1:15,1:15
    3)1:12,1:12,1:07
    I amaze myself sometimes how I can hit a target time. I thought I'd like to hit 1:20 on the 1st set, Looked at my watch when I finished and I had hit stop at 1:20.01 Close enough:-)
    My watch counts strokes for me and I did
    52 strokes on the 1st set, 52,54,54 on set 2 and 54,54,58 on the last set. Good thing my watch has memory. I'd never remember all of that.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Masters PR Ends

by , June 7th, 2010 at 02:52 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Run + Bike:

The viral malaise, which still lingers, caused me to set a masters sloth PR for most consecutive days with no exercise. I would probably have pushed it sooner, but I decided to stick with my 2 weeks of prescribed recovery. It helped that I was ridiculously busy last weekend, attending among other things Speedo's 80s themed 40th birthday party! Definitely had some blog withdrawal!

Because the temps fell below 90, I decided it was time for the "post meet run." This used to be a tradition, but I consulted my FB Run Logger and I see that I haven't run since Jan. 23. Egads! In any event, I muddled through my usual 5 mile loop with some walking during water breaks and on an up. Then I came home and hit the indoor bike for 30 minutes. I plan on venturing to the pool tomorrow for some pre-vacation swimming. Note: I am definitely in need of new running shoes, as my shoes have been battered by my gym workouts.

Meet/OW Schedule:

I was muddling over my tentative meet schedule for the next year or so. Coach Cheryl told me that Zones was going to be earlier this year, so I'm worried it will conflict with the Boston Marathon on April 18. If so, I will either need another taper meet or bag tapering for SCY. I will be FINA 50 next year, so meters is definitely more appealing at the moment. Of course, if our ED prevails in re-visiting tech suits for SCY (besides for the boys who want their short johns), I may have to reassess.

Since I just took 2 weeks off and am taking 4 weeks of vacation this summer, I'm definitely de-emphasizing LCM meets this season and don't care much about my times. This is quite fine, as I'm been feeling a bit meeted out from short course and want to do things that are not purely sprint focused. (No, this does not mean I'll be swimming the 1000 free at Zones ... or even the 200.) Still wondering about the advisability of 2 OW swims, but I apparently need to do this to ensure marital bliss ... I will definitely be wearing a wetsuit, , as will basically everyone in these events. I've also heard that B70 is coming out with "something special" for OW.

So far, I'm thinking:

Aug. 21-22: LCM Zones at UMD

Sept. 19: Savageman 1/2 Iron Triathlon (relay)

Oct. 24: GMUP Sprint Classic (SCY)

Nov. 13: Beach 2 Battlefield Ironman Triathlon (relay -- seriously that race better have one heck of a current ...)

Early-mid Dec.: NE SCM Champs in Boston or CZ Champs if it's at Rutgers this year. Does anyone know yet?

March: Albatross SCM Meet (not sure when this is yet)

March or April: If I taper for SCY and depending on the actual dates, either NE SCY Champs or Colonies Zones. Not sure I can do both the Albatross meet and the NE meet though ... depends on dates. No back to back meets for me.

July: Some LCM meet hopefully. May have to do a kid meet if there are no local meets.

Aug: LCM Nats at Auburn.

My taper focus will likely be Dec. 2009 for SCM and August 2010 for LCM, though I'll probably rest some for whatever meet I do in March-April.

Any other good meet ideas?

Updated June 7th, 2010 at 03:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running , Spinning
  9. Monday, 6/7/10

by , June 7th, 2010 at 12:25 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, solo

Warm – up (900)
    200 swim – 200 pull – 200 swim
    3 x 100/1:45 Build
    (all free, ave 1:30)

Main Set: En 1 (1600)
    1 x 400 free
    2 x 200 free
    4 x 100 back
    1 x 200 free
    1 x 200 back

Kicks - Back/Free – May use fins (400)
    8 x 50/1:00 desc 1-4
    (used fins, no board; 1-4 dolphin on back, 5-8 flutter on back)

Cool down
    100 easy

Total: 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Convalescing

I had surgery on Friday and am currently at home recovering. Everything went quite well—the operation was able to be done laparoscopically, and I only had to spend one night in the hospital. I’m still a little sore and have been instructed not to lift much, but am able to walk around fine. Best of all, I got cleared by my surgeon this morning to get back in the pool whenever I feel like it, with the caveat that I take it very easy at first. Hurray! I hope to go over to my Y pool and swim a few laps on my own—or at least float and scull a bit—this afternoon or tomorrow. I don’t anticipate going to organized workouts until next week at the earliest, but I’ll just go by how I feel.

As I see how my recovery goes over the next few weeks, I can finally start making plans for my summer swimming season. My LMSC’s first (and perhaps only) LCM meet was yesterday, and while I was bummed to have to miss it, I have been really enjoying hearing my teammates’ reports trickle in. I do hope that I can do at least one LC meet in July or August, since I absolutely love LC and would be sad not to post any times in it this season. LC nats looks like a long shot, but I haven’t counted it out entirely yet. I might be able to do the CZ meet if it’s scheduled at College Park in August, depending on which weekend it is—I’m keeping my eyes peeled for more info on that one.

I do have a couple of hospital observations, some swimming-related:

The nurses were thrilled with my arms, which are still mostly hairless from having shaved down in Atlanta. It made the tape holding various IV-related tubing stick really well, and pulling tape and bandaids off me was probably less painful since it wasn’t a de facto wax job.

Monitoring equipment is not set up for well conditioned adults with low heart rates. In the recovery room, every time I fell asleep, the monitors attached to me would start beeping, because they were set to alarm whenever patients’ heart rates fell under 50. I finally convinced the nurses that my normal resting heart rate was actually lower than that. (Little rant: It’s exasperating that patients’ stats are just compared to population averages and not individual baselines, even when the data to make the latter comparison exist. Maybe increased computerization of patient records will bring about some change here, but I’m not holding my breath.)

Watching “House” when you’re actually in a hospital is not as amusing as the idea of doing it is. This is one of my fave tv shows at home, but it was too winceful-making to watch once I was lying IVed in a hospital bed. Baseball games are far more soothing.

That’s it! I’m so very glad and grateful to be home, and my keys this week are being patient and careful as I begin resuming my normal life and exercise routines.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Monday June 7th, 2010

by , June 7th, 2010 at 11:49 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Monday June 7th, 2010

2010 South Central LCM Zones info is available

Coach Wooden's Pyramid

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

remarkable swims
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ksaydysuuo"]YouTube- Rich Abrahams 65 years old 50 freestyle Atlanta 2010[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT6QslQxC0s&NR"]YouTube- Rich Abrahams 65 years old 100 freestyle Atlanta 2010[/nomedia]

Swam on Sunday with jon & Chris

Lifted this morning

LCM & SCY
    6:30 to 8:00
    Austin, UT Swim Center
    Whitney Coached
    swam with Tyler, Todd, Doug, Sharon, Mike, Beth & Tenielle
    dove in on time
    wore B70 jammer

WARM UP
    600 done 150 fr 50 stroke
    200 k went 3:01
    600 done 150 fr 50 scull

MAIN SET
    4 x 50 fr on :40
    4 x 50 fr on 1:00

4 x 100 fr on 1:20
    4 x 100 fr on 1:40 missed a few

4 x 200 fr LCM on 2:40
    lead the lane, held 2:31's

SWITCHED POOLS TO DIVE WELL SCY
    assigned 4 x 200 fr
    did 4 x 150 fr

10 x 50 k
    odds fast on 40 held 35's went 30 on last one
    evens easy on 1:00

100 easy

wanted to do the kick set with UT women
    but they had a meet at SMU over the weekend &
    weren't doing it till later in their practice so I headed out

2010 MEETS:

July 8 - 11, 2010
    Senior Circuit #4 Meet Info
    Austin, TX

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
    2010 South Central Long Course
    Southlake, Texas
    Days till LCM ZONES

Does anyone ever read my blog to the very end?

Updated June 7th, 2010 at 12:13 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  12. Monday June 7, 2010

by , June 7th, 2010 at 11:18 AM (Keepin Track 2010)
    Danny's 40th so up early to get it done.

2.5 miles run,
    30 min yoga/stretch

Back to work.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Thursday, June 3, 2010

by , June 7th, 2010 at 11:16 AM (Keepin Track 2010)
    Today's practice:

800 mix

4 x 50 - 25 Drill, 25 swim Str @ 60
    4 x 50 - 25 Drill, 25 swim Str @ 60

200 Kick w/zoomers

Main set:

BR @ R:20:
    1 x 200
    1 x 150
    1 x 100
    1 x 50
    2x 2x25 Strong @ 30; R:30 betw sets

1 x 200 Kick

Free:
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 50 @ 45
    2x 2x25 Strong @ 30; R:30 betw sets

200 LD

Total = 3000yds
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. I know what I need to work on

by , June 7th, 2010 at 08:18 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    After the 800 on Friday I need to finish my stroke on my left arm. What I find strange is when I do a one arm swim for time my left arm is significantly faster than my right, yet my left arm apparently gives out sooner on distance. So that is my new focus.

5x200@3:45 Free ended up descending these
    500 free kick w/fins 25slow/25mod/25fast
    5x100@2:00 as 50free/50back w/paddles
    500 Back kick w/fins
    500 free w/snorkle finishing the stroke and for some reason I was able to kick it instead of just dragging my legs
    400 as 100 back/100 free
    100 Free easy

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Tornado Day

by , June 7th, 2010 at 08:15 AM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Well, we had day 2 of hte meet today and the morning session went off without much of a hitch I swam a :30.x in the 50 FR in a jammer and a 37.x in the 50 BR with my flag brief. I'm pretty happy to pop those times. Both faster and according to the converter I use...spot on my Nationals times...so I am happy.
    The 50 BR was comical, I was the only over "Boy 13 and over" to swim it..so I won! LMAO

I got a comment form one of the kid's as I walked past he said "That was sick!" I just said thanks...I thought agreeing with him would look bad...hehe. I was left amped by the swim though.

I have more meets this summer as I've joined USA and paid dues to the team, so I am hoping the extra practice at racing LC will show up for Zones. I'm thinking that maybe I should stump up for a nice racing brief, an aquablade at least. Unless Roque is reading this and wants to mail me a Q...LOL.

Tornado watch all afternoon delay the meet for about 45 minutes due to a thunderstorm but besides that things were fine. Then we got home at 8pm and found we had no power!!

Updated June 7th, 2010 at 08:24 AM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Saturday, June 5, 2010

by , June 6th, 2010 at 11:22 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY in Boise with Coach Kelsey

Warmup
    200 swim, 200 kick (on back), 250 drill

4 x 100 free @1:40 desc
    (Ave 1:22)
    8 x 25 back @:30

Main Set
    Repeat 2x
    200 free smooth
    4 x 50 back @1:15, fast
    (Ave 38-39)
    200 free smooth
    8 x 25 @:45, fast
    (Ave 17-18)

Vertical kicking 8 minutes as 20 second kick w/hands out of the water, 10 second scull.

Practice turns (about 200y)

Cool down
    250 easy free/back

Total: 3300 y
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. So Long and Thanks for All the FISH

by , June 6th, 2010 at 09:36 PM (Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic)
    Went to the NYC Parks & Recreation LCM Meet today! Long pool, short meet, great people & they charge $0 for it!

This is the first LCM meet I've swam that isn't Middlebury, which is coming up in three weeks. I used this one to kind of prep for that, to get some times under my belt in events I've never done like the 50 back & 50 fly.

The first swim was the 200 Free, which I always feel compelled to do because it's my favorite. I also had the rare pleasure of being seeded right next to someone in my age group, so I had a real race. She kept me going when I thought I was going to die at the 125, and I eked out a small victory by a few seconds. Sadly, there were three other 30-34 year old women in other heats who handily beat us, and I got no ribbon, and have no memory of what my time was. Something like 2:50something*. Will report on that later.

The next race was the 50 free, where I got to swim right next to my lane-mate Theresa. She's 20 years older and one second faster. That race felt great, I kept my head down and in the water for about 25 meters, and pulled out a 36.53 (PR! Just barely!* And 3rd place! Out of 4!) I was told to work on hand speed next time.

After that was the 50 back. It felt great, but was so slow! (51.42, NOT a PR*) In the past few weeks, I've gotten some great tips on improving my stroke and I implemented them, today, and thought I was doing pretty well. I don't get it, the more backstroke feels right, the slower it goes. This stroke is just a mystery to me.

Last up was the 50 Fly. My goal was to survive, and upon survival, enter the 200 IM at Middlebury with some confidence. I swam a 50.40, which I feel proud about, considering I just learned the stroke a year and a half ago. It actually didn't feel half-bad, and I was able to exit the pool on my own accord.

Overall thoughts:
    If I'm going to make the trip to Vermont worth it, I have to not sustain any more ridiculous injuries between now and then. Right now, I'm a tapestry of bruises between Thursday's cooler falling on my arm, hitting my elbow on the corner of my car, Saturday's falling out of a sailboat into the Hudson (with my cell phone in my pocket!) and a hand injury sustained just moments ago as I tried to open a stubborn bottle of CranApple. I'm also sore and tired and crabby about finances, and I have three weeks to get into some kind of race shape so I can go after those PR's that sustain me.

Oh, and the pool at Flushing is great. Swim it if you have a chance, but it really could have used a rope across the half-way point. Maybe I'll blame my backstroke time on the lack of that.

I don't think I was totally in the game today. Something was off, and I think it might have been the creeping stress of personal life, and the disappointment that there were all those other fast girls in the 200. I really like ribbons. There was a point where I just didn't want to do it, but I got over it, and there were 6 other FISH there cheering each other on. It's hard not to be buoyed by the team spirit.

I just made a strawberry rhubarb pie*. It looks fantastic, but it's not going to cool in time for me to enjoy it as a post-meet reward, so I'll probably eat a slice after tomorrow's workout.

*Updated: I was looking at my SHORT Course Meters results... When I went back and looked at the LONG Course, I realized I did much better than I thought. And today was the first time I've ever done a LCM 50 back. Also, I've been putzing around so long this evening, putting together tomorrow's music mix, I had a chance to eat a slice of the pie. It was good, for a first-go at this recipe. Yum local foods!

Updated June 6th, 2010 at 10:38 PM by swimmerb212 (Actually looked at the correct results)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Spice up your smoothie!

by , June 5th, 2010 at 09:41 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    OK So I had a meet today first LCM of the year...100 BR 1:30.x and the 100 FR 1:11.09 both pretty good times for me. Previous best were 1:29.x and 1:13.x so I am happy considering I only got in the LCM pool 2x since Nats.

Both swims felt OK and I didn't have any where is the wall moments in either race, so I conclude my conditioning has paid off this year into a general boost to my abilities.

Made a smoothie tonight and added ginger to it. Ginger is a natural anti inflammatory and analgesic, so I'm going to include a little sliver into my smoothies to aid general aches and pains that come with training.
    It's adds a little kick which I don't mind either...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. A kids meet and some fun

by , June 5th, 2010 at 06:51 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    My 800 Free was only 2 seconds slower than last year so I think that is good. I did notice on the back half my left arm I did not have the strength to complete my pull on that arm. Something to work on between now and Nationals.

The girls on my team did great. For Maddie it was her first ever long course meet. For McKaylin she went from being in the middle of the pack to taking 2 2nds in 400 Free and 100 Back, 1 3rd in 800 Free and 8th in the 100 Fly. She made her 400 and 800 Free state cuts and is 1 seoncd off on the 100 Back.

Maddie was just learning how to pace in a long course pool. She did better on the 400 than the 800. Both swims were good for a first time both at that distance and in the long pool.

Total 2300 meters and 500 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Saturday

by , June 5th, 2010 at 02:37 PM (Adventures in Swimming)
    Swam with Sharks (SCY)
    Coach Renee

10 min swim, Which I missed because of administration duties.
    I had to swim with fast lane again.

1st Set
    500 Neg Split
    5x100 Pace
    400 Neg Split
    4x100
    300 Neg Split
    3x100
    200 Neg Split
    2x100
    100 EZ
    100 What Ever you have Left

2nd Set
    25 Fast Stroke :05 r
    25 Kick Mod :05 r
    25 Kick Hard :05 r
    25 Fast Free :30 r
    repeat 5x

3rd Set
    8 x 75
    Odd's 3 Stroke/9 Kick Drill
    Even's Swim :10 r

100 Race your lane

100 Warm Down

I got in water at 5x100
    I only got lapped on the 400
    I held
    1:15 for the 4x100 on 1:25
    1:10 for the 3x100 on 1:25
    1:10 for the 2x100 on 1:25
    1:06 or 7 for the fast one
    1:05 or 6 on the final RACE one

I would like to get the fast ones to 1:03
    So that's my goal for this summer.
    I'm going to be spending a lot of time at the pool this summer.
    We are having 5 morning workouts a week and I have to
    coach them all unless we find a coach to help out.
    Until we find a coach I'll be working out by myself whenever I can get to the pool.
    Categories
    Uncategorized