View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. entered the following events

by , May 22nd, 2009 at 03:31 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    entered the following events for the

Texas Senior Circuit

Senior Circuit Long Course #3 Meet in
    Austin, TX on
    June 10 - 14, 2009

LCM
    some of my entry times are SCY because each event has to have proof of time

Events :

04 400 Freestyle (2) 5:07.03 scy 500 fr
    10 050 Freestyle 24.50 LCM

14 200 Freestyle 1:50.70 scy
    18 200 Backstroke 2:21.04 LCM
    20 100 Butterfly 51.80 scy

28 200 Individual Medley 2:24.08 LCM
    34 050 Breaststroke (3) NT No Time in Data Base
    38 050 Butterfly (3) 51.80 scy

Updated May 22nd, 2009 at 11:38 PM by ande

Categories
    Planning
  2. 5-22-09 EZ Aerobic Free/Back

by , May 22nd, 2009 at 03:03 PM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    11:00 AM to noon at the Downtown YMCA (SCM) coached by Jann.

Warmup:
    400 free
    200 IM drill

Main Set (work on great form and don't worry about speed):
    Twice through:
    1x150 free on 3:00
    2x75 stroke on 2:00
    2x75 dolphin kick on 2:00
    6x50 free on 1:00 (I did odds back :-))

Warmdown:
    400 free - alternate 100 swim/100 6 kick and roll

2500 meters

Notes:
    I am down to two practices left after today's, so I was kind of sad. These intervals were not hard, but coaches instructions said good form and no speed worries. I tried to get that easy speed feel for backstroke. I felt like I was getting it a couple of times, but I still need to work on my endurance quite a bit. Back requires more kicking for me to keep a strong stroke. I'm just ecstatic that I am actually able to throw in some back from time to time on freestyle intervals!

Updated May 26th, 2009 at 09:26 AM by Iwannafly

Tags: aerobic, back
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Friday 5/22 - The pre meet workout

by , May 22nd, 2009 at 11:46 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Slept in alittle and by the time I arrived at the pool I was the only one there, but by the time I left it had filled up again.

Since I have the 800 tonight I was just swimming very easy so this is nothing to really emulate.

1000 free as 200 swim/pull/swim/kick/swim
    500 Free kick w/fins & board
    5x100 Back drills w/fins
    #1-streamline kick #2-fashion model back #3-kick with partial recovery #4-underwater recovery 50 rt/50 lt #5-full back
    500 Free pull w/small paddles & bouy
    5x100 Free #1,3,5 swim #2 finger tip drag #4 straight arm

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Friday, 5/22/09

by , May 22nd, 2009 at 11:36 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCM, Solo

Warmup
    300 swim free
    6 x 50 kick RI :10

Drill
    8 x 50 as 25 drill/25 swim; odds stroke, evens free
    8 x 25 free as:
    #1-3 12.5 fast/12.5 easy
    #4 easy
    #5-7 12.5 easy/12.5 fast
    #8 easy

Main
    4 x 50 strong on 1:30
    1 x 200 swim on 4:00, easy
    4 x 50 on 1:20
    4 x 50 on 1:10
    (went :37-:38 on all 50's)

Cool down
    4 x 50 choice on 1:15
    2600 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. FAST FRIDAY MAY 22nd, 2009 400 LCM fr 4:41

by , May 22nd, 2009 at 11:29 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri May 22nd, 2009

did some FR w FK today

[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=181479&postcount=34"]my coach whitney is at USMS SwimFest '09 [/ame]

NEXT MEETS

Thu June 11 - 14, 2009
    Senior Circuit #3
    Austin, TX

Fri July 18 - 19 2009
    USMS South Central Zone Long Course Championship Meet
    Woodlands, TX

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM
    6:30 - 8:00
    whitney Coached
    TSC main pool diving well
    swam with tyler, todd, mike varozza, doug nate, chris, marcio & larry

warm up LCM
    15 minutes choice
    did 50's on 50

MAIN SET

wore B70

400 fr fast
    on 10:00
    from a dive
    went 4:41

swam easy 150

5 x 200 fr fast
    on 4:00
    went 2:13 the 1st one

thought we were only doing one
    worked it way too hard
    went 2:24, 2:22, 2:21, 2:19

10 x 100 fr fast
    on 2:30
    ave 66 or 7
    went 61 on #10

100 fr easy

50 fr fast
    went 27

50 easy

50 fl fast
    went 26.9

150 easy

Updated May 22nd, 2009 at 11:44 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. You can't swim fast with a broken heart

by , May 22nd, 2009 at 10:59 AM (My non-workout blog and random thoughts)
    I went to Toronto to swim in the Canadian Masters SCM championships. Seven days before we had planned to go, my partner of 10 years told me that she is leaving me. No matter how much I begged, pleaded and cried, she would not go to joint counseling. She said she was unhappy and just had to get out of our relationship. Three days before I left, I found out there was another guy in the picture. Not only did she time her announcement in an attempt to ruin this meet for me, I found out later that she had invited this miscreant to our house for a party! I remember giving him a beer and making him feel welcome. Talk about being humilated in front of my friends and family - and not finding out until after the fact. I was completely blindsided by these horrible events.

It's no fun to try to race with a broken heart. I lost 10 pounds and my swim skin did not fit - it let water into the suit while I was swimming. I could not sleep soundly - waking up with night terrors or panic attacks. I was exhausted and could barely eat. My usually hearty appetite was replaced with the sensation of eating tastless cardboard. All the classic signs of depression. With the amount of stress hormones in my blood, I probably would have flunked a drug test!

We have been going to swim meets together for as long as we have been together. I really missed her and found myself saying "what would she do if she were here - and she would have really like this or that". Useless thoughts, but in times of stress, your mind has a tendency to get stuck in these weird cognitive loops.

I wish to thank Karyln Pipes-Neilsen and Don Graham for taking me under their wing during this meet. Their fellowship, sympathy, kind words and insights were particularly comforting.

Everyone knows KPN and what a wonderful swimmer she is. Some people are jealous of her accomplishments, her enthusiastic joyful manner and her perfect lifestyle - globe trotting to put on swim clinics, living in Kona and just unbelievable talent.

Well, I'm here to tell you that she has a heart of gold to go along with all of those other attributes. She is a great listener and she had a lot of insight into my problems. As I got to know KPN, I found that she is a really special human being who has overcome a lot of difficult life challenges. She is a true champion in every sense of the word.

Don Graham has been a long time rival in the backstroke and IM races - he is primarily a butterflier (and a pretty good one at that). I really did not know him very well until this meet. But once I told him a little about what I was going through, he immediately opened up and let me pour my heart out. Don had some of the most insightful and thoughtful words that gave me great comfort. Without the help of these two very special people, I don't think I would have made it through the meet.

Now that I'm back, I have many questions and no answers because the only thing she wants to talk about are financial arrangements. It is very painful and difficult to even see her at the pool. Unfortunately, the only time I can train is when the masters swimming team is in the water. I'm going to try to swim as far away as possible, but it will still be very difficult.

Eventually, I will get through this and I know there is always another swim meet.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. bbbobbinnnnatorrrrrr!

by , May 21st, 2009 at 11:49 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I am having a rough week. I won't bore you with the mundane details but no time or motivation to blog. I have fit some much needed swims in late.

Tuesday: I forget the exact workout. It was one of Jeff's quality workouts. I am nothing but a "distance dog" so quality workouts are discombobulating for my natural eb and flow. (but I think I need to do them for sure!) I will even say "physical training" should disrupt the body's natural eb and flow; that's how you get physiological changes , or the training effect.
    Anyway, I was gassed.

Thursday (tonight): After 2 picture perfect, blue sky Indiana days we got to swim outside Long Course Meters in the Forest Part Pool! What a delight! The water was 76 crystal clear degrees! It was sunny, calm, and the air had a snickerdoodle cinnamon type scent lingering somehow. The plan was to swim from 5 to 7, then have byo brats and beers on the deck afterwards. Unfortunately for me, life (job) got in the way and I didn't make it to the pool till 6:00 p.m.. I hadn't been home since 6 a.m. so I had nothing for the pitch in. I decided I needed a zen-like soothing swim more than I needed beer/brats so I swam 4,000 LCM straight. Total time 1:10. It was a wonderful swim. I got into a smooth rhythm and grooved it out.

Here's a question for some of you great distance swimmers: I would like to do a long swim (75 to 120 minutes) 1 time per week. I like distance. I like to race 5K OW, and anything long in the pool. Next summer I am planning to do an ow 10K.
    I have had a couple people tell me this is not a good idea and that I am just training myself to swim slow. What do you think? I would compare these swims to what I used to call a lactate threshold run; not in o2 debt but slightly uncomfortable. Will this train me to swim slow, or will it make me stronger in the long swims? (I would swim at least 4 other times per week with total yardage 14-18,000 yds)
    Thanks in advance for your opinion.
    Time for after I read everyone elses blogs and catch up!
    Oh, it's a bummer about the tech suits. I'm going to wear my point zero in a 5K in mid June. If anyone says anything to me I'm going to act like I don't speak english.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Nationals Bound

by , May 21st, 2009 at 11:21 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Well, I've bought my airplane tickets to Indy for LC Nationals. Not sure yet exactly which events I'll swim, but right now it looks like the 50s (even breaststroke) and 100 free. I'm going to the Athens, Georgia meet in a couple of weeks just to get an LC meet in before Nationals. Won't do any tapering until Nationals because I don't have anything to taper off of at this point. I doubt I'll lift or run the day before Athens, but I will earlier in the week.

Got in the pool yesterday and did 2500 yards. Interesting how emotional things can make you feel like you've run a marathon. I was tired, so I did not do much intensity. One of my favorite sets to do when I'm just trying to get some time in the water is 4 x 100 dolphin kick with no fins on 1:45, trying to hold each one under 1:30. I also did a 500 free with paddles which is always very relaxing to me.

Today did weights followed by yoga. Here is what I did in the weight room:

Bench press: 85 x 10, 95 x 6, 105 x 2, 110 x 1, 115 x 1
    Lat Hi Row: 3 sets of 130 x 10
    Tricep pulldown: 3 sets of 40 x 10
    Alternating hammer curls: 3 sets of 15 pounds in each hand x 10

20 push-ups
    8 pull-ups with 40 lb. assist
    15 push-ups
    8 pull-ups with 40 lb. assist
    10 push-ups
    50 good morning darlings
    5 push-ups
    50 bicycle crunches
    2 sets of 25 crunches with 10 lb. medicine ball

Decided to put the hip add/abd machines back into my routine since I'm not doing much biking and because I just like doing them. I'm blessed to be strong on these, but the reason why is somewhat odd. My podiatrist says that since my ankles are so weak and cause my feet to roll inward more than her example on her office wall, for most of my life, I've had to overcompensate with my hip muscles to be able to walk properly. I have an imbalance between the hip adductors and the hip abductors with the former being somewhat stronger. Need to get more balance. Here is what I did today:

Hip adduction: 120 x 10, 130 x 8, 140 x 6
    Hip abduction: 110 x 10, 120 x 8, 130 x 6

Planning to hit the pool tomorrow morning for a 3,000+ workout.

Updated May 22nd, 2009 at 01:02 AM by elise526

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Just going through the motions

by , May 21st, 2009 at 05:44 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    I didn't do too good with today's workout. I wasn't able to swim this morning because of an early appintment and I always seem to be short on time when I do noon swims. I didn't sleep very well last night and that seems to always affect my workouts. Also, I just started on some new meds and that might have been a factor also.

Lots of drills today
    SCM, Solo

300 free
    200 pull free with p&b
    200 kick on back alternating dolphin/flutter by 25

Fly - 2 x 25 of each drill:
    1. kick on stomach with arms at side: try to time the breathing at the right spot so your head is coming up at the upkick and down on the downkick
    [I used fins for this. even then my rhythm would break each time I would breath]
    2. kick on back with streamline (10 kicks underwater, rest of the 25 on the surface): hold the streamline as long and tight
    3. single arm fly, non-pulling arm in front (25 right arm, 25 left arm)
    4. single arm fly, non-pulling arm at side (25 right, 25 left)
    5. triple kick fly: this is really regular fly with one extra kick at the catch.
    [no problem with these, didn't use fins.]

Then:
    swim 4x50 on 1:00 alt. free/fly by 25: build the fly
    [was coming in around :45 on these]

Back - 2 x 25 of each again:
    1. kick on back with streamline (long/tight): w/6 sdk off each wall
    2. single arm (25 right/25 left): work on driving into the catch, bending the elbow, and pushing through past the hip
    3. 2 right/2 left: work on the transition between arms like it's a regular stroke, thinking about #2 above
    4. spin drill: pick head up and go 10 strokes fast, then drop it back down and go 10 strokes easy

Then:
    swim 4 x 50 back on 1:05 descend 1-4
    [held these close to 45. it's tough to descend these. No flags up yet and I'm slowing down and looking for the lane line to change color on each end.]

Breast (2x25 of each again... I know we need more, but we'll spend a whole day on short axis next week):
    1. kick on back with streamline (long/tight): keep the knees inside the hips, and don't let the knees come out of the water
    [had some problems here. My quads started to cramp at the extension of each kick.

2. kick on stomach with arms at side: kick back after head comes back down; don't use the kick to bring the head down
    {no problem with the timing here but still cramping and kick was really weak]

At this point it was almost 12:30 and I usually need to be out by 12:40 in order to get back to work on time so I stopped, swam a 200 cool down and got out.

Total: 1850 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Thursday, May 21

by , May 21st, 2009 at 04:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Woke up. Had coffee. Had more coffee. Checked to see the status of tech suits. Drank water. Searched Fort Son's luggage for prohibited performance enhancing substances (lol) and then dropped it off at school for his trip. Then ... finally got around to:

Holding the plank for 1:30
    push ups, 3 x 25
    crunches on yoga ball, 4 x 25

Run:

3.5 mile trail run. Calves still sore. If I'm going to carry on with running, I think I'm occasionally going to have to stick my calves in an ice bucket at night.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety warm up

10 x 25 UW shooter on back @ 55, no fins

8 x 25 easy speed fly @ :45, focusing on pull

Main set: Swim-Kick Mountain

After doing Patrick's workout and a lactate set, decided it was a day for aerobic work. So did a combo swim-kick mountain. (I'd probably fall asleep if I swam the whole thing.)

100 back @ 1:30
    200, alternate 50 br-dolphin w/MF and 50 MF dolphin kick @ 3:00
    300 dolphin kick w/MF, alternate on back & w/board by 100s (didn't see the interval, as I changed lanes after this)
    400 IM, drilled the fly @ 6:30
    500 fartlek dolphin kick, alternate on back & with board (200, 200, 100)
    400 IM, drilled the fly @ 6:30
    300 one arm fly drill w/MF @ 5:00
    200 alternate 50 br-dolphin w/MF and 50 MF dolphin kick @ 3:00
    100 back @ 3:00

100 EZ

Total: 3750

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tentative Meet Schedule:

June 14, FISH Invitational at GMU

Sent an email to the meet director. Asked to enter the 200 back. Entered at my converted time + 2 seconds. (I hate the Swimming World converter; I'm not a kid and don't covert like one.)

June 21, Terrapin Cup at U of Md

Got an email notification from Muppet today that the Terrapins are holding the Terrapin Cup again this year at U of Md. Really happy about that. Glanced quickly at the lineup and will probably enter the 50 back, 100 back, and 50 fly. I will likely do a 3 day mini taper for this meet. I'm a little paranoid about Indy being my only meet for LCM times. As Ahelee noted on the forum, what if you're sick for your focus meet? It'd be nice to have some back up times, as well as the racing experience.

July 19, Junior Champs at U of Md

Will probably enter the 100 fly and 50 free on Sunday

August 5-10, LCM Nats

Will probably enter the 50 breast, 50/100/200 back, 50 fly and 50 free + relays

I've booked my hotel and plane.

Tech Suit Quandry:

It appears that, at this moment, B70s are still legal for USMS sanctioned events. Neither USMS or FINA has stated whether these times will be valid for TT. This is rather critical information. I certainly don't want to risk a DQ or time invalidation. If B70s are legal and the times count, I will wear mine at the USMS meets this summer. If they're not, I'm in need of new tech suit, probably a primary and back up suit. Right now, my tech "suitfolio" consists of one old FS Pro with a small hole -- not exactly a safe bet at a meet.

I've been in contact with Rocket Science about the Rocket Skin. Along with apparently 100s of other masters swimmers. They are sold out in the small sizes of women's suits until late June, when they will get another supply. It's unclear whether that supply will meet current demand. For any ladies interested, I find the sizing charts confusing. There seems to be a disconnect between the measurement criteria and the height/weight criteria. In any event, I'm told I'm a women's extra small. Must be vanity sizing.

I noticed that there are some Pros available at swimoutlet. I would also consider buying a LZR for Indy if the B70s are banned and I can't get a Rocket skin. But my understanding is that LZRs are few and far between too. Mr. Fort could be aghast (tho maybe not), but he is buying a bike for Savageman, so he can hardly complain!

If the B70s are illegal, I'll probably try to get away with wearing my old Pro at my June meets. I looked at my Pro & B70 times in the events I'll swim for comparison:

50 back LCM
    Pro, 33.4
    B70, 33.4

100 back LCM
    Pro, 1:14.1
    B70, 1:13.4

50 fly LCM
    Pro 31.6
    B70, 31.1

If I swim in my Pro, I would wager that at least in the backstroke events, my Pro times this summer would be faster than my B70 times from last summer -- absent illness or some intervening factor. I guess we'll see ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leaving for NJ in the am, since my son's race isn't until mid afternoon. Lot of driving tomorrow. And, very sadly, I'll miss the initial stampede of people and young children arriving for Memorial Day festivities at my house on Friday afternoon.

Updated May 22nd, 2009 at 10:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running
  11. 5-20-09 Fast Stroke and Free Pull

by , May 21st, 2009 at 01:13 PM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    11:00 AM to Noon at the Downtown YMCA (SCM) coached by Jann.

Warmup:
    450 free - alternate 100 free/50 6 kick and roll
    400 im - dr/kick/dr/swim
    12x25 build on :40 - 4fl/4bk/4br

Main Set:
    12 x 3/4 length sprints on 1:00 - 4 of each stroke (no free)
    25 easy free
    8x100 free on 2:00 - 50 pull/50 swim - I held 1:35s except for #4 and #5, where I slowed to 1:38s
    2x75 free on 1:30

Warm Down:
    100 easy free

1950 meters
    Tags: pull, stroke
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. 21 May 09 - twilight zone

by , May 21st, 2009 at 12:33 PM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    To quote Bill Sweetenham: "Dryland training should complement the work done by the swimmer in the water; under no circumstances should it replace water work. If swimmers are not attending swimming training to the required level because they are substituting dryland training for swimming training, the coach must get them off land and into the pool."

This week I know for certain that my dryland and weights are hitting the exact muscles I use for swimming; I dont know Im sore until I start that first stroke.
    Ive definatly hit the uphill grade in my training, this is area that one chooses to continue on to the next level or surrender and be content with "lap swimming" I choose to continue.

Bill Sweetenham would call this the "competitive swimming twilight zone"

Again, another chopped Pat Cantrell w/o (The dream of completing one of Pat's murderous workouts remains unrealized..)

Warm up
    300 swim, 300 reverse IM drill, 200 kick, 4x 50 free build

2x 300 free, 12x 25 (2 fly, 6 back, 4 breast)
    4x 150 free, 4x25 back

100 BK ez
    200 w/d

2900 yds....

Right now Im in awe of people who can do a full workout in the gym, then pound out a 4-5k workout...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Thu May 21st, 2009 went 5,700 today

by , May 21st, 2009 at 11:24 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu May 21st, 2009

Did some freestyle with fly kick (FK fr) when I'd usually use a 2 beat kick.

Left thigh hurts a little from leg press

NEXT MEETS

Thu June 11 - 14, 2009
    Senior Circuit #3
    Austin, TX

Fri July 18 - 19 2009
    Woodlands, TX

weights at world gym

lat press 8 x 40 8 x 45 8 x 50

lat pull 8 x 165 6 x 205 4 x 215

bench 8 x 135 5 x 195

leg press 8 x 270 5 x 320

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM & SCY
    whitney Coached
    TSC diving well
    swam with tyler brandon, amy,
    beside chris, ned & marcio

warm up LCM
    3 x (100 fr, 50 non free, 100 fr, 50 k on back)

400 easy

main set

20 x 100 on 1:15
    80% hold steady pace, around 64's
    did fr with FK on first 10

800 done 300 k 100 IM

15 x 100 on 1:10
    held 64's & 5's

100 easy
  14. Thursday 5/21 - Rainy Sluggish 200 Day

by , May 21st, 2009 at 07:49 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    This is one of those days you just want to stay in bed, especially at 4:30 am. Did finally make it to the pool alittle late. I am trying to get my shoulders recovered. Tomorrow night I will be swimming the 800 Free with my kids team and 2 of them will be in my heat, oh how fun.

500 Free relaxed & loose
    5x100 @ 2:00 Free middle 3rd sprint from 15 meter mark to 15 meter mark

200 Free kick w/fins & board
    200 Free kick w/fins alternate rt/lt side each 50
    200 Back kick w/fins and good rotation
    200 Fly kick w/fins 10 kicks right/stomach/left/back rotation
    200 Back kick w/fins good rotation & partial recovery

5x200 @ 3:30 Free w/paddles & bouy held 3:20's and felt loose but might have pushed more than I realized

500 Free every 3rd lap back could tell I might not have gone as easy as I should have on the pull set

Total 3500 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. 20 May 09 - Dryland

by , May 21st, 2009 at 02:31 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Gym-
    Instead of increasing weights, I decided to increase number of reps from 3x8 and 3x12 to 3x15 for all and drop the weights back to the original value.
    Combining the upper and lower routines together on M-W-F and doing the stability ball, bands and pilates at home everyday;
    Crunches and back extensions at 3x20.

Pool schedule is now;
    M-SCY-Aquasol Masters
    T-LCM-Sierra Marlins Masters/or SCY solo
    W-Optional SCM solo-(No time and little sleep today)
    T-SCY solo
    F-SCY solo
    S-Optional SCY solo
  16. Patrick's Workout Day

by , May 20th, 2009 at 09:13 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Took the pwb 5 x 100 + 4 x 25 set today and had my own kind of fun with it!

300 W/U
    Set 1
    5 x 100 Drill (snorkel, side kick, catch up, tap behind 3 n glide)
    4 x 25 FR Cruise
    Set 2
    5 x 100 FR 1:40 (this got wrecked by having to circle with 1 slower and 1 really slow swimmer but there you go.)
    4 x 25 EZ
    Set 3
    5 x 100 IM 2:15 (Made 'em 1 25's or thereabouts)
    4 x 25 IMO
    Set 4
    5 x 100 K 2:00 fins n board FL, FL, FR FL-BK, FL-BK
    4 x 25 K sprint :45 &1:00 wanted to make them good and fast--did just under 25.
    Set 5
    100 EZ
    4x 50 FLY 50 FL K fins
    4 x 25 BR
    200 Cool Down

Enjoyed it.

Weights later, 3 sets of all
    Pull ups 10.8.6 on 1:00
    Chins 6,6,6 on 1:00
    Squats 340 x 10
    Leg Extn 110 x 10
    Leg Curl 110 x 10
    Adduct/Abduct 110 x 10-12
    Chest Press 140 10,8,8
    Peck Deck 60 x 10
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Weights + Lactate Set, Wed., May 20

by , May 20th, 2009 at 04:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Weights:

bench press (Hammer), 70 x 1 x 10, 80 x 1 x 10, 90 x 1 x 10, 100 x 1 x 8
    leg press, 310 x 1 x 10, 330 x 1 x 10, 350 x 1 x 10
    hi row (Hammer), 140 x 1 x 10, 160 x 1 x 10, 180 x 1 x 10
    forward lunges w/15 lb DBs, 1 x 20
    total ab machine, 120 x 1 x 15, 130 x 1 x 15, 140 x 1 x 15
    decline reverse crunch, 2 x 25
    elevated crunch w/med ball, 2 x 25

prone scapular scrunches w/ 5 lb DBs, 2 x 25
    external rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side
    hip hinges w/ 10 lb DBs, 1 x 15, left leg

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Decided to do a test set today. Hadn't done any real lactate work in awhile. I was tired from 4:30 am carpool duty and weights, but decided to just git 'er done anyway. There's never an ideal time to do these sets.

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

4 x 25 UW shooter on back, no fins

2 x (25 build free + 25 EZ)
    1 x 25 AFAP free
    50 EZ

Lactate Set:

5 x 100 backstroke w/fins @ 8:00
    200 EZ after each one

Went 57.5, 57.5, 58, 57, 57
    (cramped on the last couple, but swam through it)

I'd like to also have a test set for 100s kicking and 50s swimming and kicking.
    Total: 2475

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The soreness from weights has abated. But there are still a couple isolated muscles in my upper arms bothering me. I'm not sure, but I think they are from using the ab sling. The ab sling seems to take some of the direct weight from the hanging ab work off the shoulders, but it's hard on some muscles. Not sure if this is something you get used to or not.

I've started warming up more on certain exercises before attempting to increase weight. As the weight gets heavier, this intuitively seems to be advisable. Am I doing this correctly?

McTrusty noted on his blog that Eddie Reese recommends keeping your hands very close together on your fly pull. Your thumbs, if extended, should almost touch. I think I need to work on this more. I'm pretty sure I've gotten most of the old S type pull out of my stroke.

Updated May 20th, 2009 at 07:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Test Sets
  18. B70, We Hardly Knew Ye

by , May 20th, 2009 at 03:48 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    I was a little bit reticent to post this film before, given the chance that the B70 loaner might be used again.

Do not get me wrong. I am not saying that I actually took the advice proffered here by Michelina "Bad Grrrrllllzzzzzz of Swimming" co-president (along with Imspoiled), two of the kindest princesses of the water you will ever want to meet.

But just the suggestion that I might have taken her advice might have caused some dismay on the part of BillS, the most generous USMS member of all time and my personal nominee for this year's Arthur Ransom Award.

In any event, if the suit were still legal, and if you owned your own, and if you are as cute as little Michilena herself, then you might want to have considered taking her advice (though most likely quickly rejecting it thereafter):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8guu6zuxuWs"]YouTube - One of the Bad Grrrlzz Promotes a Bad Pra[/ame]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. A bit faster today

by , May 20th, 2009 at 12:14 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Wed., 5/20/09
    SCM, Solo

400 swim free
    200 reverse IM alt. drill/swim/25
    200 pull breathe 3/5 by 50
    4x50 on 1:10 alt. drill/build to 85% by 25

3x around:
    {
    2 x 25 free on :30 smooth
    (did these around :20-:21)
    100 IM FAST on 2:00
    (not very fast here [breastroke :-( ] around 1:45)
    2 x 25 choice on :30 smooth
    (did backstroke on these, around :24-:25)
    3 x 50 free on 1:00:
    #1, breakout 1st 12.5 fast, the rest easy;
    (went around :45 on these)
    #2, sprint the whole thing;
    (went around :38-:39)
    #3, easy until the last 12.5, sprint to the finish;
    (went around :45 on these)
    on the 50s, the focus is to really reach into the catch and get the shoulders rolling, especially when sprinting, but also when going easy, to make this more automatic
    }
    100 easy

pull 8x75 free with buoy (no paddles) on 1:20. Work on reaching forward and keeping your hand in line with your elbow, and not letting the elbow drop.

200 easy
    --
    Total: 2950 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Wed May 20th, 2009

by , May 20th, 2009 at 11:20 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed May 20th, 2009

Yesterday FINA launched their list of [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=180995&postcount=1195"]Approved Suits[/ame]

JeremyC asked me about suits and here is [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=181101&postcount=1197"]my response[/ame]

Experimenting with fly kick freestyle (FK fr) when I'm swimming sets where I'd use a 2 beat kick. FK fr feels faster than fr with a 2 beat kick

NEXT MEETS

Thu June 11 - 14, 2009
    Senior Circuit #3
    Austin, TX

Fri July 18 - 19 2009
    Woodlands, TX

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM & SCY
    whitney Coached
    TSC main pool diving well