1. Day 27

300 Easy
    6x50 @1:00 FR Drill
    100 Easy

1x75@2:30
    1x50@1:30
    1x25@1:30
    Repeatx4 All Fast
    (1=Swim, 2=Paddles, 3=Fins, 4=Fins & Paddles)

200 Easy

1500 SCY Indoors Solo
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -9/11/09 -SCY

by , September 10th, 2009 at 02:05 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    4 X 100 free 1:40
    4 X 100 free 1:30
    8 X 50 kick 1:15
    4 X 75 fly/ba/br 1:15
    4 X 50 *1 of each* 1:00

1 X 400 IM
    Transition to the following set

1 X 50 easy free 1:00
    1 X 75 1:30
    3 X 25 fast :30
    75 & 25's are: Fly on round 1, Back on round 2, and Breast on round 3.
    Short break between rounds.

5 X 200 free 3:00
    5 X 100 free 1:20 or 1:30

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4600Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Thursday Sep 10th, 2009, 400 fr 4:08

by , September 10th, 2009 at 11:25 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thursday Sep 10th, 2009

Weight: 213

left thigh hurts a little

More info is up about the
    2009 SPMA Short Course Meters Championships
    December 4th - 6th, 2009 at Long Beach
    http://www.spma.net/meetforms/2009/lbgscm.htm

Several of us plan to go
    84 Days to go

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY
    6:30 - 8:00
    Whitney coached
    UT Swim Center
    Swam with Mike V
    beside Tyler, Todd, Larry, Paul, Amy, Brandon, Jon & Doug
    dove in around 6:36

Warm-up
    600 warm up

Main Set

10 x 400

1) fr 60%
    went 5:00

1:00 break

2) 16 x 25 k on 20 made it

3) fr 70%
    went 4:50

4) 8 x 50

5) fr 80%
    went 4:40

6) 4 x 100 on 1:10

7) fr 90%
    went 4:27

8) assigned 2 x 200 fr
    did changed into B70 legs

2:00 break

9) FR FAST Get Time
    went 4:08

10) assigned: Choice
    did: 100 easy

25 br fast
    roll
    mike V timed
    went 13.3

NEXT MEET

looking for a couple SCM Meets in Nov or Dec, we'll see, want a fast pool & a big meet to provide more rest between events

Considering:

1) a yet to be named SCM meet in San Antonio

2) SPMA Short Course Meters Championships in
    Long Beach, CA
    Friday December 4 - Sunday 6, 2009

3) Ron Johnson Invitational in
    Tempe, AZ
    11/21/2009 - 11/22/2009

Updated September 10th, 2009 at 04:57 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Another dover day

9/10/09
    We (Terry Laughlin, Willie Miller, Steve Shtab, Lance Ogren, Mike from near chicago, but i can't remember his last name, and I) planned to meet up for a 10:30 AM swim. Lots of swimmers were already there including 2 soloists from the channel islands, a 6 person double relay from Iceland and a few others that were already in the water. Its a beautiful day, but damn windy with 2-3 foot waves in the harbor. The talk is about weather anyone will have a chance to go out before tuesday (zoiks! tuesday!). We go for a swim... a standard loop with an exra out and back parallel to the north seawall where the waves are the highest... its a washing machine but lots of fun. I know I wouldn't hesitate to go out in these conditions, though the perods on the boat between swims would be less than pleasant.

At lunch, Terry and I decide to swim again at 5:30.

We are all hoping for a break in the weather so some of those soloists can get a shot at their crossing.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. :(

I woke-up when my alarm went off. I got up to brush my teeth and what not and my shoulder was very achy. I decided this was a sign and went back to bed.

I got to work late for me because I couldn't get out of bed. I'm still here early by work standards but I typically get here earlier.

I'm going to try and get in some dryland tonight before coaching but I have an appointment so it might be tough. I am exhausted right now. I'm also still a bit cranky. I'm having an Eeyore day.

Tomorrow is exercise free. Saturday I'm not sure where I'll fit it in. Sunday I should be able to get something in.

Updated September 10th, 2009 at 02:17 PM by FlyQueen (Because I cannot type due to exhaustion ;))

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. I HATE ON-CALL!

by , September 10th, 2009 at 09:37 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    After being paged every half hour from 1:30am on till morning. A system crash that we tried 3 times to bring back up finally came up during the middle of this mornings workout so workout was a little broken up.

10x100@1:40 Free
    20x50@1:00 Fly w/fins
    1/2 hour off to bring up systems
    10x50@1:00 Fly kick w/fins
    12x25@:45 Fly w/fins & paddles
    10x50@:55 Free w/paddles & bouy
    200 Free EZ

Total 3500 yards

This evening I did the 10x100@1:40 Free with the kids.

Total 1000 yards

Updated September 10th, 2009 at 09:35 PM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Dover days

9/8/09
    Willie and I arrived in London at 7AM local time. Our flight was delayed at JFK, but favorable tail winds kept our landing on time. I’ve got a huge bag (55 pounds) with multiple sweat pants and shirts, a giant towel, clothes for 2 weeks, stainless steel water bottles, a thermos, a variety of sports feed including hammer gels, power gels, perpetuem, cliff shots, endurolites, tissue rejuvenator, some power bar products that I’ve never seen before that were generously donated to our cause by Bec and Laurel, 50 glow sticks (25 green, 25 orange), 3 speedos, 5 swim caps, 5 pair goggles, a pair of running shoes, (just in case i blow out my flip-flops), a small digital camera, my mac book, and an international phone with a verizon plan (more about this later).
    Willie has a small carry-on bag that I’m guessing weighs 10 lbs. max.
    The land connections from Heathrow to Dover were pretty straight forward. We took the underground Picadilly Line to South Kennsington station; transfered to the Circle Line for 2 stops to Victoria Station. From Victoria: Brittish Rail to Dover. From the Dover station, a 5 minute cab ride brought us to the Penny-Farthing guest house. I always assumed that the reason that iconic bicycle was called the penny-farthing had to do with the original cost, but learned from our hosts that it is the relationship of the size of the wheels (large-penny; small-farthing)..... a fact that, as a bike-head, I should have known.
    My “international” phone isn’t working and my Mac Book won’t link to the wireless at our b&b, so for internet, we go to the Best Western Churchill.... a 5 minute walk “right opposite” the harbor. I was able to contact fellow NY swimmer (attempting a solo on the same tide as our relay) Lance Ogren and we made arrangements to meet up at 5:30 for a swim.
    5:30. Lance comes a-strolling by and we walk to the concrete bulkhead where Frieda sits on the weekends, (more about Frieda later). We perform a moderately successful deck change, and begin our painful (this “beach” is made up of golf ball sized pebbles) walk to the water. Slightly to our left, a woman (red suit, yellow cap) marches barefoot to water and starts swimming to the left seawall. A man wearing one of those Big Shoulders - Obama t-shirts walks up to the beach and we delay our start to converse a bit. Mike (can’t remember his last name); west of Chicago; just arrived in Dover 5 minutes ago; doesn’t have his speedo with him; attempting a solo. We decide to swim for about an hour and calculate; that should be about what one loop (seawall to seawall and back) takes us.
    We swim to the north seawall first, and have the white cliffs and Dover Castle above us. These features are, of course, visible from the beach but still, from this vantage point, conjures up a stronger emotional response as I look up and imagine a similar view on our way back from France, and wonder which of us might have the honor of the final leg of our relay.
    Day swims: 45 minutes, 64 degree water, 70’s air temp, sunny skies
    9/9/09
    Terry and Steve arrived around 11:00 and after a brief settling in period, we head for the harbor. Lance is waiting for us and as we suit up for our swim, Steve from Chicago just finished his swim and we chat for a bit. His pilot said friday is out and saturday is a slight maybe for a solo; I wonder out loud if the same applies for our relay and we discuss making our team available for an earlier date..... no decision is made.
    The five of us get in the water and head for the north seawall. We regroup at the seawall and head south; the chop is 1 - 2 feet and as the wind is from the north, the amplitude increases as we approach the south seawall. Willie and I swim to the north seawall again while the others head back to the beach.
    We (Willie, Terry, Steve and I) went for another swim at 5:30. A steady wind provided excellent conditions for wind surfers and sunfish and a few of each were out while we did our swim..... just a loop; +/- 45 minutes.
    Day swims: 120 minutes, 64 degree water, 50 - 60 air temp, overcast skies
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Dover days

9/8/09
    Willie and I arrived in London at 7AM local time. Our flight was delayed at JFK, but favorable tail winds kept our landing on time. I’ve got a huge bag (55 pounds) with multiple sweat pants and shirts, a giant towel, clothes for 2 weeks, stainless steel water bottles, a thermos, a variety of sports feed including hammer gels, power gels, perpetuem, cliff shots, endurolites, tissue rejuvenator, some power bar products that I’ve never seen before that were generously donated to our cause by Bec and Laurel, 50 glow sticks (25 green, 25 orange), 3 speedos, 5 swim caps, 5 pair goggles, a pair of running shoes, (just in case i blow out my flip-flops), a small digital camera, my mac book, and an international phone with a verizon plan (more about this later).
    Willie has a small carry-on bag that I’m guessing weighs 10 lbs. max.
    The land connections from Heathrow to Dover were pretty straight forward. We took the underground Picadilly Line to South Kennsington station; transfered to the Circle Line for 2 stops to Victoria Station. From Victoria: Brittish Rail to Dover. From the Dover station, a 5 minute cab ride brought us to the Penny-Farthing guest house. I always assumed that the reason that iconic bicycle was called the penny-farthing had to do with the original cost, but learned from our hosts that it is the relationship of the size of the wheels (large-penny; small-farthing)..... a fact that, as a bike-head, I should have known.
    My “international” phone isn’t working and my Mac Book won’t link to the wireless at our b&b, so for internet, we go to the Best Western Churchill.... a 5 minute walk “right opposite” the harbor. I was able to contact fellow NY swimmer (attempting a solo on the same tide as our relay) Lance Ogren and we made arrangements to meet up at 5:30 for a swim.
    5:30. Lance comes a-strolling by and we walk to the concrete bulkhead where Frieda sits on the weekends, (more about Frieda later). We perform a moderately successful deck change, and begin our painful (this “beach” is made up of golf ball sized pebbles) walk to the water. Slightly to our left, a woman (red suit, yellow cap) marches barefoot to water and starts swimming to the left seawall. A man wearing one of those Big Shoulders - Obama t-shirts walks up to the beach and we delay our start to converse a bit. Mike (can’t remember his last name); west of Chicago; just arrived in Dover 5 minutes ago; doesn’t have his speedo with him; attempting a solo. We decide to swim for about an hour and calculate; that should be about what one loop (seawall to seawall and back) takes us.
    We swim to the north seawall first, and have the white cliffs and Dover Castle above us. These features are, of course, visible from the beach but still, from this vantage point, conjures up a stronger emotional response as I look up and imagine a similar view on our way back from France, and wonder which of us might have the honor of the final leg of our relay.
    Day swims: 45 minutes, 64 degree water, 70’s air temp, sunny skies
    9/9/09
    Terry and Steve arrived around 11:00 and after a brief settling in period, we head for the harbor. Lance is waiting for us and as we suit up for our swim, Steve from Chicago just finished his swim and we chat for a bit. His pilot said friday is out and saturday is a slight maybe for a solo; I wonder out loud if the same applies for our relay and we discuss making our team available for an earlier date..... no decision is made.
    The five of us get in the water and head for the north seawall. We regroup at the seawall and head south; the chop is 1 - 2 feet and as the wind is from the north, the amplitude increases as we approach the south seawall. Willie and I swim to the north seawall again while the others head back to the beach.
    We (Willie, Terry, Steve and I) went for another swim at 5:30. A steady wind provided excellent conditions for wind surfers and sunfish and a few of each were out while we did our swim..... just a loop; +/- 45 minutes.
    Day swims: 120 minutes, 64 degree water, 50 - 60 air temp, overcast skies
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Weds Gym Swim

by , September 10th, 2009 at 12:26 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Gym 1-1:45
    15 min elliptical
    2x12 abs, back and sides with 10lb (its a device that holds you out at 45 degress)

AQUM - Coach Janine 5:30-6:30
    Warm- 650 (3x100, 200IM drill, 50 k, 100)
    6x50 Fly K on back on 1:00
    6x50 Fly Drill on 1:00
    6x50 Fly swim on 1:00
    6x50 BK K on 1:00
    6x50 BK Drill on 1:30
    6x50 BK swim on 1:30 (1:00)
    cool 200
    2650 scy
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. I'm thrashed!

by , September 10th, 2009 at 12:18 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    9/9/09

Yesterday and today combined to kick my butt! Taken alone, neither seemed that hard, but I really felt it near the end of today's swim. Now I'm tired and sore. I hope tomorrow is a recovery kind of a workout.

I'm still swimming in the outdoor pool. in the evening sometimes it's only me and the lifeguard. I'll be sad when they close the outdoor pool for the season on Sept 30.

SCM, solo

400 swim free
    400 pull free breathe 3/5 by 25
    400 alt. 50 kick on back (8-10sdk), 50 drill choice

swim 10 x 75 free on 1:20: hold a decent (but not all out) pace

swim 10x50 build free on 1:00: overkick the 2nd 25

100 easy

swim 8 x 25 choice on 40: #3, 5, 8 all out

200 swim down
    --
    Total: 2950 meters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Wednesday, Sept. 9

by , September 9th, 2009 at 07:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Zen Run:

Was super busy today. Only had time for a 45 minute zen run during a beautiful late afternoon while my littlest was at jazz dance. Will do stretching and RC tonight.

Had my GI consult today. Endoscopy is scheduled for next Tuesday. I will be given the "Michael Jackson" sedative. lol If it's an ulcer, it was almost certainly caused by NSAIDs or pylori bacteria. I did use a lot of NSAIDs for a few years while battling tendonitis/shoulder problems. If it's the pylori, I'll have to go on antibiotics and be "really sick" for 10 days, according to the doc. Oh joy. That could interfere with my Fall Ball plans. But I'll enter the meet anyway. On the upside, all my blood work and tests show I'm in great health -- perfect blood pressure, great cholesterol (with high HDL -- http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cho...levels/CL00001), low resting pulse, etc.

Kick Ass Kick Set:

Tomorrow, I'm swimming with Speedo at noon. Among other things, we're going to do a nasty Tall Paul I haven't done in awhile:

In a 25yd pool, 100's as follows:

- Push off on the opposite side of the starting blocks, kick 7-11 SDK's surfacing into cruise free with a strong 6 beat (overkick)
    - at the first wall finish hands first and go immediately into a 10 second all out kick against the wall.
    - Stop, then grab the backstroke start bar and go into a back start, 7-9 SDK's then cruise backstroke with a strong 6 beat kick (overkick)...race finish touch on the opposite wall
    - immediately start 3rd 25 doing forward "V" scull (on your back, feet out of the water looking toward the opposite side sculling)
    - At the final wall when your feet touch pull into the wall then explode with as many SDK's back as you can go before taking a breath then easy free to wall.

Savageman Swim Details:

Here are the swim details for the Savagemen Half Iron:

Water Temperature and Wetsuits
    The water temperature at Deep Creek Lake on September 20 is expected to be around 69 degrees. Wetsuits are allowed and encouraged.

Swim Course
    The swim course uses an in-water swim start from the park's large swim beach and is a long narrow rectangular course that stays near the Deep Creek State Park shoreline. The swim courses are diagramed in the swim map and video flyover of the swim courses are available on the swim course pages of the SavageMan website.

A combination of large, colored inflatable buoys and smaller, white buoys will mark the swim course. Buoys are to be kept on your right at all times and the large, inflatable buoys will be different colors for the way out and the way back to ease navigation. Both Half-Iron and International courses share the same course to the swim turnaround at a large green inflatable turtle at the State Park Road bridge and then back to the beach area. The International course will turn directly in to the swim exit around a specially marked buoy when the swim returns to the north beach, while Half-Iron course continues straight to a final turn around a very large, floating "signature" buoy before returning to the swim exit at the north beach. Interspersed between the large, inflatable buoys will be smaller white buoys every 60 meters with strobe lights attached to aid sighting and provide a straight line to follow.

If for any reason you are having difficulty, roll on to your back and wave a hand in the air. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, take your swim cap off and also wave that in the air. A boat will come immediately to assist you.

Swim Waves - Tentative Schedule
    There will be four waves for the SavageMan Half-Iron and three for the SavageMan International, each with approximately 100-120 participants.

SavageMan Half-Iron Waves
    Wave 1 (Half): 8:30 AM (red): Elites, Athenas, Relays, All Females
    Wave 2 (Half): 8:37 AM (ivory): M30-39
    Wave 3 (Half): 8:44 AM (orange): M40+
    Wave 4 (Half): 8:51 AM (dark green): M15-29, Clydedales, Aquavelo
    SavageMan International Waves
    Wave 5 (Intl): 9:30 AM (day glow green): M15-39, Clydedales, Relays
    Wave 6 (Intl): 9:37 AM (silver): F40+, M40+, Athenas
    Wave 7 (Intl): 9:44 AM (pink): F15-39

I have no idea if this wave order is normal. Do women usually go before the men and with the elite pros?

Updated September 9th, 2009 at 10:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running
  12. Death Valley Group Run

by , September 9th, 2009 at 03:51 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    We have a group that meets at the Y at 11 on Wednesday and runs at least 4 miles. We decided to call our group "The Death Valley Group" because by 11 here, it is pretty hot. Our route also happens to go where there is very little shade.

We got in our run today just before a thunderstorm hit, so as you can imagine, the humidity was a little up there. Between miles 2 and 3, we did the leap frog thing again. HR got up to 186 on the leap frog. The tough thing about this run is that after we finish doing the leap frog at mile 3, it is all uphill for the rest of the run. I need to stop talking on the first two miles and save myself for the last mile as I am consistently dying and lagging behind.

Yesterday, hit the weightroom and did the following:

1 mile easy run on treadmill

Bench press: 2 sets of 75 x 15
    Lat pull-down: 2 sets of 110 x 15
    Triceps press: 2 sets of 40 x 15
    Alt. hammer curls: 2 sets of 10 x 15

Bicycle crunches: 1 set of 100
    Good morning darlings: 1 set of 30
    Leg raises: 1 set of 20
    Push-ups with Bosu ball: 2 sets of 10
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Day 26

3x100 FR@2:00

2x100 IM Kick R:30

2x4x50 FR@:45,:50,:55 and 1:00

2x50 BR@2:00

200 Easy

1200 SCY Indoors Solo

2 days in a row and I didn't feel like I was gonna pass out...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -9/10/09 -SCY

by , September 9th, 2009 at 03:12 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    SCY

WARM UP:
    1 X 100 1:45
    1 X 200 3:30
    1 X 300 4:30
    1 X 400 -

3 X 100 Kick 2:15
    1 X 100 Swim 2:00
    6 X 50 Kick 1:15
    1 X 100 Swim 2:00
    4 X 25 kick *fast,no board* :40
    1 X 100 Swim -

1 X 100 2:00
    2 X 50 1:00
    4 X 25 :30
    Swim it three times.
    Round 1: fly
    Round 2: back
    Round 3 breast
    Short break between rounds.

1 X 50 easy 1:00
    1 X 50 fast 1:15
    1 X 50 easy 1:00
    4 X 25 fast :30
    Swim it 4 times. Choice.

1 X 800 Pull
    Keep it long and strong

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4900Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Blah! Still feeling like pooh!

I'm still a bit thrashed and it's taking sometime to get warmed-up.

I did get out of bed. I will celebrate this every day I do this even if I do it all the time for the next 20 years. I hate mornings. I'm still convinced that my body is in shock that an alarm is going off and gets up in order to make the noise stop.

Nonetheless ... it was a 1000 w/u but I got in late. I was running a bit late and was dreading jumping in and there's that darn chatty coach of mine ...

I did a 500 (or so)
    then 4 x 200 (team did pull I was told kick) so kicked with long fins on 3:15

Joined them in progress of doing 12 x 75 on 1:10 (middle 25 sight - blah)

10 x 50 build - last one was ez

I'd like to run tonight but I am meeting a friend for dinner so I don't think I'll have time.

I set-up pilates for Thursday nights before coaching starting 2 weeks from now. It's a 3 person class on the reformer. I'm pretty excited.

In other news my phone is completely freaking out. I check email from time to time during the day and have it set to just load the past 3 days. Today it has tried several times to download all 8000+ messages I have sitting in my Yahoo account. I'm sure many of those could be deleted but I'm an email packrat.

Perhaps my shakra or auora or chi or whatever would be better cleansed by a mass email cleaning ... maybe after dinner tonight.

I have also not been getting enough sleep. GOD LOVE Starbucks ...
    I have lovely dark circles under my eyes. It is very attractive.

Despite my getting my arse in gear and working out fairly regularly for a couple of weeks now I am still feeling tank like. Fort, why do I still feel this way?!

Okay enough rambling!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Wednesday Sep 9th, 2009, Snakes in the POOL

by , September 9th, 2009 at 11:13 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wednesday Sep 9th, 2009

Weighed 215

left thigh hurts a little

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

SCY
    6:30 - 8:00
    Whitney coached
    UT Swim Center
    Swam with Tyler, Nate, Paul, Brandon, Amy, Ned & Mike
    we had the whole pool

Warm-up
    4 rounds of 150 fr, 100 k, 50 bk

Main Set
    SNAKES
    swim 1 length in each lane,
    there were 22 SCY lanes
    each snake was 550
    pass on left

1) 25 fr 25 fl

2) 550 swim

3) 25 fr 25 bk

4) 550 kick

5) 25 fr 25 br

6) 5 x 100 IM & 50 bk

put on B70 legs

took 3 minutes extra rest

7) 500 fr
    fast for time,
    went 5:22

50 easy

25 SDK fast
    whitney timed
    roll off side no blocks
    went 10.6

NEXT MEET

looking for a couple SCM Meets in Nov or Dec, we'll see, want a fast pool & a big meet to provide more rest between events

Considering:

1) a yet to be named SCM meet in San Antonio

2) SPMA Short Course Meters Championships in
    Long Beach, CA
    Friday December 4 - Sunday 6, 2009

3) Ron Johnson Invitational in
    Tempe, AZ
    11/21/2009 - 11/22/2009

Updated September 9th, 2009 at 04:46 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Sprinting? Not too bad...

by , September 9th, 2009 at 08:30 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today I tried to sprint alittle at the end of practice and did not do too badly. It is hard to get your time at the feet off a turn but it's close enough.

5x100@1:45 Free
    10x50@:55 Free w/paddles & bouy build
    5x100@1:45 #1-4 Free #5 IM went 1:37 on IM
    10x50@1:00 Free 1/2pull/1/2kick
    5x100@1:45 #1 IM, #2-4 Free, #5 IM held 1:37 on IM's 1:25's on Free
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 fast
    4x25@1:00 Free SPRINT w/turn was 17 after the feet
    200 Free EZ
    4x25@1:00 Free SPRINT w/turn was 17 after the feet
    200 Free EZ

Total 3600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Tuesday, Gym, Swim

by , September 9th, 2009 at 01:29 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    Lords Gym 12-1pm

15 min. Elliptical
    2x5 80lb Assisted Pull-up & Dips
    3x10 Backstroke Sim Pull Down 12/15 lb
    3x10 Fly Sim 20/25lb
    3x10 Incline Bench BB 70 lb
    3x8 Curls 30 lb
    3x8 Triceps (Pull down)
    3x10 Leg Ext 90/100/110
    3x10 Leg Curls 80/100/120
    3x10 Calfs 280/290
    3x10 Ab Machine 50 lbs
    2x10 Lat Pull Downs 90/110

AQUM - Aquasol - Coach Janine

Warm - 450 (2x100, 2x50, 50 K 100IM Drills, 50FR)
    Main
    500FR :45 rest (6:10)
    400IM :30 rest
    300FR (1:00 rest - nature walk(run))
    200IM :20 rest
    100FR :15 rest
    50IM
    10x50 K on :50 w/fins (avg :38)
    200 cool

2700 scy
    Most of my workout's have been going into the FLOG lately. Ive been doing 2 of RickMiles workouts a week and its been great for distance (200+) conditioning.
    If I can get my 500FR time below 6:00 I may consider entering the 500 event. I would have never considered it before, I do 50's at the meets because it's easy and its all I been able to do and work at, except for the 100 FR...not because I think I'm a sprinter. I'm built more for distance anyways, I just needed conditioning. However the 100 FR is still a staple and a nemesis...I haven't tried a test run to break the 1:00 barrier, but I think I'm ready.
    My wife is becoming more active with swimming as she likes to swim with me after church at the Swimstitute, a SCM pool in Rancho Cordova. She has taken about 4 private lessons so far from my coach, shes doing great and will soon join the USMS as a fitness swimmer.
    Ive done workouts with other Masters teams and noticed they always do 3800-5000 yards or meters, where our little gang does a paultry 2200-2700 scy, I think we are more laid back and the majority can't do (or doesn't want to) the larger quantity sets. However our coach does throw in stroke coaching and takes the time to talk in between sets, so I think we come away with a little more quality in place of quantity.
    Ive been working out on my own, SOLO/BYO 2-3 times a week, and its where I get most of my large yardage in, which in turn is conditioning.

Updated September 9th, 2009 at 04:14 AM by EricOrca (too busy the first time through)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Backstroke today

by , September 9th, 2009 at 12:11 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    9/8/09

After taking Sunday and Monday off, I felt pretty good today in spite of all the drinking and late nights over the holiday weekend.

SCM, solo

300 swim free
    200 IM drill
    200 swim no free
    (did backstroke)
    100 IM drill
    200 kick choice
    (kicked reverse IM)
    200 pull free breathe every 3
    (buoy only)

swim 3 x 200 back on 3:45, descend 1-3 to about 80%
    (went 3:25-3:15-3:15)

swim 4 x 50 free on :50 at moderate speed
    (these were 43±)

swim 2 x 200 back on 3:45, #1 -just make the interval, #2 is faster
    (went 3:30-3:20)

swim 4 x 50 free on :50 at moderate speed
    (these were 43±)

swim 200 back fast on 3:45
    (went 3:10)

swim down 4 x 50 on 1:00

--
    3000m
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. 9/8 Back in the water

by , September 8th, 2009 at 10:47 PM (FREEDom)
    We had a nice time on the beach over the weekend. Good and relaxing. Sharon and I also rode 30 miles on Saturday, and 44 miles on Sunday up and down Longboat Key, Lido Key, and Bradenton Beach. Nice ride, but kept it at a moderate pace.

Swam today, usual masters practice. Beth coached. More folks were there than have been the last couple of weeks, as we had decent weather, and most folks are back into their normal schedules.

Warm up
    400 sw, 300 k w/ fins, 200 pull, 100 choice
    probably got in about 600 or so.

8 x 100 on 1:35 as 75 swim 25 fast

16 x 25 on :40 fast, every 3rd no breath

3 x
    100 on 1:45 k w/ fins
    200 on 3:00 sw w/ fins

100 easy

6 x 100 on 1:45 as 25 dr, 50 sw, 25 fast
    did 2 of these and called it a night.

Still swimming easy to moderate, watching the HR. Not too exciting, but better than nothing. I'm trying to focus more on technique, drilling a lot of the swims, going deep and kicking more off the turns. Not swimming anything fast, just making sure not to over work for now. I have to figure a way to get in shape for that treadmill stress test next week!
    Tags: bike
    Categories
    Swim Workouts