View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Made it home

by , August 11th, 2009 at 09:00 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Actually got to get a workout in after spending most of the day on a plane or in an airport.

300 Free EZ
    5x200 @ 3:00 Free w/paddles & bouy
    500 Free kick w/fins every 3rd 25 sprint
    5x100 kick alternate 100 fly/100 back

that was it for today.

Total 2300 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Tuesday It's Back to Reality

by , August 11th, 2009 at 08:01 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    Today was the first day of school with students. I was woefully underprepared(and undermotivated) due to my 5 day adventure at long course nationals.
    I worked a bit after school and then drove up to Forest Park for swim practice. On the way there I felt so tired and sleepy that I ended up not swimming at all. I may go out for a run when the sun goes down. I think I'll probably swim tomorrow.

Now back to the Nationals play-by-play report:

Thursday-200 Freestyle-3:07-I lost my googles, stopped to fix them and then continued on. I was glad when this race was over!

Friday-400 Freestyle-6:24-I enjoyed this swim. My converted time was about what I do a 500 Yd. free in so I was happy. This event was the 1st of the day. It was nice to be done early so I could mess around, eat, and watch/cheer for everyone. A Fun Day!

Saturday-Relay Day!
    800 Free Relay-We are national champs in our ag. I swam with three 30 year olds and me(53).
    I was definitely the dead weight on the team but I swam as fast as I could, didn't false start, and somehow we overcame our 3rd place seed and took the race!!!! This was really fun! My split was 3:05. That probably converts to a pretty good 200 scy time for me.

200 Mixed Medley Relay-I think we were last in this event. I did the Freestyle portion in 38.4 The converted time is a pr for me. I am not a sprinter at all so I was happy to get a decent (for me) swim.

200 Mixed Free Relay-6th or 7th- I went 2nd with a 38.3 split. Fun Relay!

400 Mixed Free Relay-10th-We were all tired and unmotivated for this one. I don't know what my split was. We were glad to be done for the day. Relay Day was a blast, but a very long day indeed!
    I had the pleasure of attending the Academy Bullets Team Dinner at Buca de Beppo! I met tons of fun people, had lots of laughs, and a never ending supply of wine kept our spirits soaring!

Sunday-I didn't swim today, in fact it was my youngest daughter's 18th birthday. I stayed home and made a chocolate cake and birthday dinner. The peace and quiet was restful but I found myself wanting to be down at the meet.

Monday-1500 Freestyle-24:30! This is my favorite race of the meet. I was in the same heat as Amanda "Chicken of the Sea" and Dick Sidner (a nasti team mate).
    I felt strong and in control the whole way. I think my splits were pretty even (I need to go back and look at that) I need to start going out a bit harder. I have never raced in a LCM pool so maybe I just didn't know what I was doing.
    Anyway, it was an enjoyable swim in a zen sort of way. I was really excited to have Paul W. and Donna H. up on the finish deck cheering for me and greeting me when I hopped out....it made me feel quite special!

To summarize my 2009 nationals experience I'd say:
    *This was Mega FUN! A total swim geek adventure!
    *I'm happy with my 1500 and relay swims. It has motivated me to start working hard again and race some more.
    *I loved meeting all the forumites! It's so cool to know someone through their blog (or vlog in Jimby's case) and then finally meet them in person. I've always loved following this site, but now I can hardly turn my computer on fast enough just to see what's going on with everyone!
    I'm sorry it's over and I'm glad I went!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Reflections on Nats

by , August 11th, 2009 at 07:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I returned home to an intense onslaught of demands, frenzy and servicing. Yeesh! Can't I just lay on the couch and recover? So, before I rush off to the next kid pick up and feeding, here are my thoughts in random order.

1. Meet Performance:

Felt like I had a pretty good, but not perfect meet. Traveling is always tiring for me, and I had an rather trying first travel day with GPS failures and whatnot. And the first night, I had an engineer in my hotel room at midnight fixing my phone and alarm clock so I could get up in the am. You don't need little things like this to go wrong when you're trying to power down and get some sleep.

Anyway, I was happy with all the swims except the 100 back. Though I felt like I brushed off that disappointment pretty quickly and moved on. My 50 back split on Thursday was OK.

I'm not sure it was the best decision to start fighting the sleep issue with meds 2 weeks before Nats (but I did because of #6 below). The medication I was taking made me groggy in the morning. I gave it up after Friday on Dr. Allen Stark's (aka Mr. Breaststroke) sage advice, and felt better the last two days of the meet. Didn't sleep much, but then that is SOP for me at meets. It seems to be that way for many others as well. My doctor did confirm today that the sleep medication I was on can cause muscle tightness and cramping. He coulda told me! lol Anyway, I'm going to try something else for awhile because of these adverse side effects.

I held up pretty well over 4 days, which surprised me. I'm usually just gassed after 2. That was probably due to swimming a minimal number of events each day and nothing too long. I got a 30 minute massage after Relay day which probably helped too.

But overall, with PBs in my 50s, being very close to two WRs, and some great relays, I felt like I did pretty well. I'm cautiously hopeful that my 50 back will remain in the #1 position this time in USMS and FINA. We'll see ...

In general, I have to say national meets are a bit too long for me. Except for being able to see friends (which is huge and amazing and pure fun!), I prefer the 1-2 day meet format. It's a huge burden on my family to be gone so long and it takes a toll on me too. But masters swimming isn't just about times or maximizing performance.

2. Relay Day:

Seems somewhat controversial. I had a really great time that day with my teammates. Got to swim with friends and there was a lot of camraderie and cheering. I got so hoarse my voice starting morphing into Ahelee's!

I think having Relay Day stuck in the middle of the meet, as some have commented, took some bite out of the Sunday events though. It's hard to know how much. I guess I'd prefer to have it the last day of the meet. Then, those swimming with their teams can have at it and those without teams can leave early and save some dollars. (Having a meet where you arrive on Tues or Wed and leave on Monday is kinda pricey to say the least!) It doesn't really appeal to me to have 1-2 relays at the end of each day, as the wimpy sprinter in my finds that exhausting.

3. Taper Execution:

So glad I did RC work during taper this time! My gimpy shoulder held up fine during the meet and doesn't feel too poorly right now either. In fact, I'm not terribly sore -- just very tired.

I did weights a bit longer than usual into taper this time as well. That didn't seem to hurt. And I wonder if the tapering of the weights and adding explosive weights helped some?

I did feel like I overdid it on one day -- the Sunday before leaving for Nats on Wed. I did too many backstroke starts that day, leaving me tired for two days. I won't do this again right before a big meet.

(My backstroke starts in general were a bit erratic as Chris' DQ and the 15 meter mark preyed on my mind some. My start is a huge edge or me, so I need to get the kicks down as well as I can. In all three backstroke starts I did, I had a body length lead on the field at the breakout. Lisa Dahl literally corralled me in the warm down pool and asked what I was doing for this.)

4. Comparison to 50s in 2008:

50 fly
    2008 = 31.1
    2009 = 29.7*

1.4 second improvement

50 back
    2008 = 33.4
    2009 = 31.9

1.5 second improvement

50 free
    2008 = 29.2
    2009 = 28.5

.7 second improvement

* = only swim done in a Jaked as opposed to a B70. At the Terappin Cup meet in June, on shorter rest and after a LZR blow out, I swam a B70 clad 30.7 in the 50 fly. But I was rather dim spirited for that.

I guess since almost all of these times were done in B70s, Jim can't very credibly attribute the improvement to the suit.

5. Jaked vs. B70

My experience with the Jaked: meh. It seemed very similar to the B70 to me except less comfortable. This could be because my B70 is somewhat older and stretched out.

I did swim an extremely fast 50 fly in the Jaked. I'm not sure how much of an edge that gave me over the B70. My other two swims in the Jaked were the 50/200 back and the 50 free. In both these swims, I was slower than the 50 back and 50 free I swam with my B70. I did get relatively poorer starts in the swims with my Jaked so that could explain some of the lack of differential. Some could likewise attributable to fatigue -- e.g., I was more tired for my 50 free on Sunday than for the two leadoff legs in the relays on Saturday. Still, the Jaked was no magic pill for me. I'll continue to use it of course. Not sure where yet!

6. Extra Stress

I've also been under some additional stress/anxiety because of a health issue with Mr. Fort. He recently had abnormal blood test results and an abnormal bone marrow reading on an MRI. His doctor suspects myelodysplasia. There is really nothing good to say about this rare illness. We are seeing an oncologist on Thursday and he will likely need a bone marrow biopsy. He has had odd blood readings in the past and the abnormal bone marrow reading could be from trauma from his prior hip injury, so we're hoping for the best. And this is a man who biked 70 miles 10 days after getting 20 stitches in the calf muscle ... Still, this news, to say the least, has been upsetting and unsettling. I didn't say anything about it before Nats, and thought about canceling. But Mr. Fort really urged me to go since I had trained so hard. I felt very fortunate to see and be surrounded by such good friends while I was there! I miss my Indy peeps already!

7. Photos/Video:

I uploaded 80 or so photos to FB. I'm at my limit for photos here on USMS so you will have to go to FB to see the shots of forumites and friends. I thought my 50 fly video was on my camera, but it is not. Both Paul Wolf and Jimby filmed my 50 back, so hopefully I will get a link soon. One of Jimby's friends, a professional photographer, also took some shots of my 50 back that looked fabulous. He said he would email them to me. I can't wait to see them!

Updated August 11th, 2009 at 10:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  4. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 Workout -8/12/09 -SCY

by , August 11th, 2009 at 03:29 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 a.m. Workout)
    Welcome back! All you LC haters will be happy as we will be SC for some time.

SCY

WARM UP:
    6 X 50 free 1:00
    6 X 50 kick 1:00
    4 X 75 Fr/St/Fr 1:20
    3 X 100 free 1:40

6 X 100 IM 1:50
    6 X 50 stroke (choice) 1:00
    4 X 100 IM 1:45
    4 X 50 free :45

4 X 200 pull 3:00
    1 X 100 easy 2:00
    4 X 200 pull 2:40 or 2:50
    1 X 100 easy -
    Descend 200's 1-4

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy 1:00

4700Y
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Tuesday Aug 11th, 2009

by , August 11th, 2009 at 12:16 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Tuesday Aug 11th, 2009

Lifted weights:

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM
    6:00 - 7:30
    whitney Coached
    Garrison pool
    swam with tyler, todd, brandon, amy, doug, nate, ned, Kathrine, Mary, Paul, & Andrew
    dove in around 6:07

Warm-up
    600 fr
    200 k

Main Set

4 x ?? on 3:00
    did 200's
    went around 2:35's

100 easy

4 x ?? on 2:45
    did 200's
    went around 2:32's

100 easy

4 x ?? on 2:30
    did 200, 150, 150, 200
    went 2:20 on #4

100 easy

4 x ?? on 2:15
    did 150's
    swam them smooth

100 easy

4 x ?? on 2:00
    did 100's
    swam them strong
    went 1:09 desc down to 1:02

100 easy

NEXT MEET

looking for a couple SCM Meets in Oct Nov or Dec, we'll see, want a fast pool & a big meet to provide more rest between events

Considering:

Rowdy Gaines Masters Classic
    Orlando, FL
    10/17 & 18

Ron Johnson Invitational in
    Tempe, AZ
    11/21/2009 - 11/22/2009

SPMA Short Course Meters Championships in
    Long Beach, CA
    Friday December 4 - Sunday 6, 2009

Updated August 11th, 2009 at 03:08 PM by ande

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  6. I can't believe we are done

by , August 11th, 2009 at 07:15 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    It was great fun seeing everyone and meeting more new people each time I go.

My 1500 free was little slowere but on a race like that it can go in either direction just based on the pace you set. For me I was in lane 5 and I had a great race with Brian in lane 2. We were both about the same pace and used the same race strategy. We both got passed by 2 others in lane 3 and 7 who seemed to be on the same pace since they both looked like they were negative splitting the race. When they passed us at the 600 mark we both decided not to go with the increased paced.

The race itself felt better than any time I have swum it so I am pleased.

Depending on how early my plane gets in I may swim at the Y tonight with the kids I coach. They have been training on their own since I left for Nationals and working hard.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Wish me luck as you Wave me Goodbye!!!

by , August 10th, 2009 at 10:20 PM (Chicken's Nuggets)
    Chicken of the Sea has succumbed to stress and exhaustion and is taking a leave of absence, but will no doubt be back again in the future
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. On the run

by , August 10th, 2009 at 09:44 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hot weather is not exactly a motivator to run. With temps in the mid-90s, the daylight is out of the question. So, gave in and hit the treadmill for a 4 mile run.

Mile 1 - warmed-up at 9:40 pace
    Mile 2 and 3 - Ran at 8:30 pace
    Mile 4 - cool-down at 10 minute pace

My goal is to get the middle two miles back down to 7:30 at the same HR as the two miles I did today at an 8:30 pace. This will take awhile. I'll get some idea in a couple of weeks when I try this type of run again as to how long I can expect it to take to reach my goal.

I wish I could see some improvement in my running without having to throw in a long run right now, but even with quality runs, I don't think there is any way to get around it. I'm going to try to find a running partner who will suffer the unpleasantries of a long run in the heat with me. To me, right now a long run is anything 5 miles or more.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. 8/10 Run and Swim

by , August 10th, 2009 at 09:33 PM (FREEDom)
    7am Run
    Ran about 30 minutes. Jogged for about 16 minutes. Then on the way back, jogged 30 secs easy, and 1 minute "fast". Well, faster.

6:30pm SCY
    Regular Masters workout. Water was a touch on the warm side. Beth coached.

400 sw, 300 pull, 200 kick, 100 choice

8 x 125 on 2:05 "rolling IM", where the 50 rolls from fl, to ba, to ?? to fr. I mostly swam as 25 fl, 25 ba, 25 fl, 25ba, 25 fr. These were definitely a slog. Legs were not there.

6 x 100 on 1:30 pull hyp 3/5/7/3. I ended up descending these down to 1:05.
    100 easy

6 x 100 on 1:20 swim. Was assigned 1:30, but I wanted to get some tighter intervals to try to get moving. I ended up descending these down to 1:03. Started to fell beter.

4 x 100 on 2:00 IM kick

8 x 50 on :50 mid pool starts, double turns

2 x 50 fast

200 easy

It seems like it takes about 45 minutes to get going lately. Perhaps its some of the cross training in the last couple of days... 40 mile bike ride on Sunday, and jogging in the morning must wear out my delicate legs.
    Tags: running
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. NATIONALS or "Is there any other place to be except Indy!"

by , August 10th, 2009 at 08:07 PM (Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!)
    I will probably do a series of blogs about Nationals since there is so much to say!
    Today I will dedicate my ramblings to all those swimmers who think they aren't "good enough" or "unworthy" to swim in the Nationals (or even in a swim meet).
    I was excited when I found out Nats were going to be in Indy. The Natatorium is a wonderful facility, but most of all it is close to my home. If I did my 1st event and hated it I could bag it, go home, and act like I was never down there. ( googles, cap, swimsuit, and a coating of water are a pretty great disguise!) In the meantime I agreed to have 2 out of state (forumite and friend) swimmers stay at my humble abode. I just might have chickened out of the whole thing except when you have a couple of friends staying with you who are swimming it sort of engages you in the moment. Anyways.............I was nervous!
    The 200 Free was my first event. I truthfully dislike the 200 free; the event is too short for me, the O2 debt freaks me out. Okay, well first of all I arrived at the Nat way too early. I sat around for 5 hours or so and started self-destructing. I watched former Olympians, world record setters, and top-notch swimmers with beautiful/dynamic stroke techniques swim; I really started getting negative with myself. As my 1st event drew closer so I entered the locker room and cased myself like a sausage in my B70-nero suit(I"m not worthy). I met a wonderful swimmerchick named Kimberly Stevens in the locker room; we struggled together to get our suits on! (we were successful thank God even thought they later popped!)
    I reported to my block for the 200, again too early. I looked around for a diversion for my negative and self-destructing psyche, I found Barb Delenois who so graciously conversed with me for 10 minutes or so and helped eat up the painful time I needed to kill before my swim. (thanks Barb!)
    Minutes before the swim Jimby T. and Bill W. (my dream houseguests) appeared with a video-cam to interview me pre-200 swim. This was a great diversion and made me as happy as a clam. I'm glad Bill noticed I was supposed to be on the blocks cause otherwise I would have missed the event!
    Well...... the gun fired off and I dove in like a rocket! (a rocket with its head up and arms all akimbo) The rest is history.......my googles fell off and landed in my mouth.......for some reason this "cracked me up" so I surfaced, emptied my googles, re-attached them to my face, and then proceeded to swim the 200 free as hard as I could while giggling! I'm glad my first event was a cluster _uck; I approached the rest of the meet with the understanding/self-realization that master's swimming is an extremely supportive and accepting community of people. (in other words no one laughed or ridiculed me)
    To anyone out there who swims but is uncomfortable to go to Nats or meets....all I can say is "just do it!"
    Sometimes it's just a good thing to stick yourself out there in an "uncomfortable" place and work it out within yourself. Whether you are successful , or not (like I was in the 200) the important thing is that you got out there and did your thing. The warm fuzzies you get from your friends, and the completion of the failed task somehow make you understand that the world (USMS) and fellow man-kind is a good place to be.
    TOMORROW>>>>>read how a failure @ the 200 free can end up as a National Champion in the 800 Free Relay!!!!! hint...(it's all in where you are, who you know, and great friends!)

ps.......Today I had a nice 1500 swim in the same heat with my idol "Chicken of the Sea"(she just did the Manhatten Island 28 mile swim!" The coolest thing about it was when Paul W and Donna H were there to greet me at the finish! This forum/blog is so fun! Thanks guys for your positive vibes!
    ps...if the grammer or spelling is bad just know I'm sitting on my bed w/my pug drinking massive chard!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Mon Aug 10th, 2009

by , August 10th, 2009 at 10:44 AM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Monday Aug 10th, 2009

Did not swim Saturday or Sunday
    Went to Tyler, TX this weekend

arrived on time, went to bed after midnight

congrats on all the great swims at Nationals
    2009 USMS LCM Nats

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

LCM
    6:00 - 7:30
    whitney Coached
    Garrison pool
    swam with tyler, todd, brad, ned paul, nate, & matt
    dove in on time

GARRISON IS A PRETTY SLOW POOL,
    POOL IS SHALLOW, TEMP IS WARM, 83 OR 4

Warm-up

Main Set

24 x 100 @ 2:15 descend 1 - 3
    took and extra 1:00 after #12
    kicked the last 100's
    went 1:08's & 9's on my fast ones

100 easy

NEXT MEET

looking for a couple SCM Meets in Oct Nov or Dec, we'll see, want a fast pool & a big meet to provide more rest between events

Considering:

Rowdy Gaines Masters Classic
    Orlando, FL
    10/17 & 18

Ron Johnson Invitational in
    Tempe, AZ
    11/21/2009 - 11/22/2009

SPMA Short Course Meters Championships in
    Long Beach, CA
    Friday December 4 - Sunday 6, 2009
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Day 4 Nats

by , August 10th, 2009 at 09:17 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    About to hop on a plane home, so just a quick-ish report. I'll post more analysis and thoughts later.

Sunday's events were the 50 free and 50 back. I was glad the 50 free was first to "get the cobwebs out." I was definitely tired after relay day and another poor night's sleep, but not unreasonably so during warm up.

50 free: 28.6, 3rd place

Last year, went 29.3 at a USA meet with some rest in my B70. Yesterday, I went 28.7 and 28.5 in my B70 leading off two relays. On both of them I had very good starts. Not so today. The starter held us for a long time. I didn't get off the blocks well and went too deep. I was dead last at the 15 meter mark, which is unusual for me, though I am not immune to inconsistent starts. Recovered decently and finished in 28.6 for third place. I wore my Jaked for this race. I probably would have gone faster than yesterday'stimes IF I had nailed my start. But fancy suits don't fix that problem!

Lisa Dahl protested the start. Eney Jones also agreed it was terrible. Lisa had been hoping to
    approach the WR. They also herded us like cattle through the 50s making up some time on the timeline by doing this. That wasn't ideal either.

Even so, very happy with my 50 frees. My
    fastest of 28.5 is a big improvement from last year. (same suit)

50 back: 31.99, 1st place

My backstroke felt better in warm up and I made sure to do some backstroke sprints to get my arms moving. But I had a real energy lull and felt dead tired after the 50 free. FlyQueen got me a cup if coffee and that seemed to perk me up.

Since I had gone a 32.3 on Thursday, I was not at all concerned with my time. I just wanted to win cuz this event is my baby. Got a good start, though I played it fairly safe on the SDK front, taking 12. Had a very good breakout and just cranked. Started running out of gas about 5 meters from the flags. Stuck my finish, getting a 31.99. Was thrilled! I missed the WR by .2, but given that I was tired and it was day four, I was happy to finish on a good note.

I changed into my ratty old fashioned stretched out B70 for this race. I hadn't felt comfortable in the Jaked for backstroke on Thursday. In my B70 last year, I went 33.4, so this us a huge improvement.

In general, I think the 50 fly and 50 back were my best swims of the meet. The only real disaster was my ill fated 100 back. I held up better than I thought I would over the course of 4 days.

I did get a quick breaststroke clinic from Allen Stark after my 50 back. He gave me a few tips
    to work on: sculling out wider on the pull to take advantage of my strength, squeezing my elbows together more, not pausing before shooting my hands forward, and keeping my knees closer together on the kick. I had thought my kick was appalling, but he disagreed and really focused on my pull issues. He thought my ankles were plenty flexible to start walking like a duck and that there was no excuse for my breaststroke phobia!

I took loads of photos. I think someone video taped my 50 fly. I think Wolfy video taped my 50 back. I had assigned that task to Jimby, but he was apparently too addled from his 400 free to comprehend digital camera technology. Anyway, hopefully I can post links later.

As an aside, I will decline all individual IL state records that I set. Though I loved my adopted Nationals team the Academy Bullets, I'm a PV
    swimmer and will promptly rejoin GMUP.

Updated August 10th, 2009 at 12:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  13. Time to wind down

by , August 9th, 2009 at 09:05 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    My 50 Free went ok in 33.03, I guess considering the amount of sprint training I did not do being 1 second off what I did last year is not bad. I did do a season best time so that is good.

Finally have time to reflect and spend alittle time in my room for a change. Now I have to see if I can change modes to distance mode tomorrow for the 1500 Free in the morning so it is almost time for me to go to bed.

I can't believe this is almost over. I had such a great time and enjoyed hanging with everyone from the forums and my teammates.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. 2009 OW UPDATE

i've add a few events to my calendar. its been fun moving around and meeting so many people (and forumites including b'klyn girl today and our swimmer last week in santa cruz)

today was grimaldo's mile... the 5th annual and the first without our friend grimaldo but i know his smiling face was on the mind of many of us today as we swam.
    http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...medrano&st=cse

here is a list of the 2009 swims i have and will participate in this year.

April 18 Tampa Bay Marathon (2 person relay w/ Patricia Sener)
    May 23-24 The Great Travis Trek 64 miles in austin (w/ Keith Bell, Robert Alford, Lynne Smith, Chris Derks and Chuck Wiley)
    June 14 The Chesapeake Bay Swim 4.4 mi
    June 20 The Mashpee Super Swim 5k (cape cod)
    June 26 Liberty Island 2k (manhattan)
    June 27 The Aquarium 5k (coney island)
    July 11 2mi USMS National Championship (canandaigua, ny)
    July 25 The Kingdom Swim 10 mi (Lake Memphremagog vt)
    August 1 Golden Gate 1.5 mile
    August 2 Cruz Cruise 2 mile (santa cruz)
    August 8 Island Beach 2 mi (greenwich ct)
    August 9 Grimaldo's Mile (coney island)
    August 15 2mi USMS Cable Championship (lake placid, ny)
    Sept 4 Governors Island 2mi (manhattan)
    Sept 5 Lake Quassy (3 races; 5 miles)
    Sept 6 John Daly Mile (long beach)
    Sept 11 English Channel DOuble Relay (w/ Terry Laughlin, Willie Miller and Steve Shtab
    Sept 26 Little Red Lighthouse 5.85 mi (manhattan)
    Oct 17 Golden Gate to Bay Bridge 10k (SF)
    Oct 21-25 Highland Lakes Challenge 5 lakes, 5 days about 15 miles. (Austin)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Return to the weight room

by , August 9th, 2009 at 07:06 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    Hit the weight room for a very light workout today. Has been 3.5 weeks since I have done weights, so started out very light.

Bench press: 65 x 15
    Lat hi row: 90 x 15
    Triceps press: 30 x 15
    Alt. hammer curls: 10 x 15
    Leg press: 150 x 15
    Calf raises: 50 x 15
    Push-ups: 1 set of 15
    Bicycle crunches: 1 set of 50
    Good morning darlings: 1 set of 50
    Basic crunches: 1 set of 50
    Side crunches: 2 sets of 25
    Back extensions: 1 set of 15
    Torso twists: 1 set of 50
    Toe raises: 3 sets of 10
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Relay Day -- So much fun!!

by , August 9th, 2009 at 08:49 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Quickie blog.

First, no cramping today. Made sure to drink a ton of Gatorade. My GMUP buddy also gave me some quinine tablets, a product from Canada that ge uses called "Leg Cramps.". Also just went with the usual lack of sleep.

These were my first relays ever at Nationals, and I really enjoyed them!

Wore B70, as I did on Friday.

Womens 120 200 free relay, 1st place:

I think we went a 1:54 or so and was told it was
    pretty close to the NR. I led off with a 28.7, a PB for me. Previous best 29.2. Took 4-5 dolphin kicks on start. 3 breaths. Felt pretty good.

Mixed 200 medley relay, 200 plus, 3rd place

Swam the fly leg. Had a bad dive, went in a bit sidesways and and to straighten out. Think I split a 30.1. Very safe start for me, as I'm not that used to relays.

Mixed 200 free relay 200 plus, 2nd place

My first relay with Jimby, who swam his little heart out with a blowout in his B70. Very exciting finish. The team anchored by Spock on the forums nipped us at the end. I led off again and went a 28.5. Thus time, I took 7-8 dolphin kicks. I guess more is better.

I got some good feedback on my freestyle from Coach Bill White, also a Bullet. He said my kick was like a "motorboat.". I never knew this! I always thought my flutter kick was weak and that I wasn't kicking enough. This is apparently because I am doing a flutter-dolphin type motion with my straight arm stroke. I never knew that ... I think Chris has mentioned that he does this in free as well. I've heard if some coaches trying to teach this style. I guess I'm happy to hear that's what I'm instinctively doing. My head is also too high, but again, it was opined that this was because I was undulating. My body must be hard wired to dolphin kick.

Psyched for the 50 free and 50 back today. Not too worried about times, as I've already got good splits from previous swims. Fortunately, though tired, I don't feel totally broken down like I did at Zones. Off to warm up!

Updated August 10th, 2009 at 12:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  17. Jolted out of laziness

by , August 8th, 2009 at 10:46 PM (Elise's Fitness Fun)
    The taper I started three weeks ago for Nationals made me quite lazy. I knew I needed to run today, but was trying to figure out a way to put it off. I had already put it off by not doing it yesterday. Finally talked myself into it and headed out to the track once the sun went down.

Hubby went with me and walked a couple of laps to get some exercise. He had to have another surgery yesterday as a follow-up to what he had a week ago. He is not allowed to do any strenuous exercise for two weeks, but walking is allowed.

Conditions were not ideal for running even though the sun had gone down. Temp was 82 degrees and humidity was between 75 and 80 percent. I could run in the mornings, but I detest that even more than the treadmill. So, hit the track and did the following workout:

1 mile easy run to warm up
    1 mile: jog the curves, stride the straights - held 20 sec. on straights
    1 mile: 200 easy speed, 200 easy - held 45 sec. on easy speed
    1/2 mile easy jog to cool down

3.5 miles total

Not much mileage, but I felt it was a quality workout that jolted me out of my laziness. Good for the running form. I'm not big on garbage mileage, so I love these quick little workouts.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. So Busy this time

by , August 8th, 2009 at 10:08 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    I have been so busy at Nationals this time that I have not had time to recap on my blog since I was recaping for the team as a whole. With 17 swimmers that is alot of people to write about.

As for me the first day of competition was good I had to best times but not it did not go as expected. The 400 IM (6:56.71)was off by about 3 seconds but I went out in a best time on the first 100 Fly(1:39.31) of it! Ended up 11the and just out of the medals. I'll take a best time where I can get it.

Then I took 2 seconds off my 200 Backstroke (3:08.45) I also took 1 second off my time for the 100 Back time in my split on that swim. Came in 5th on this one.

The second day of competition was good too. I managed to come within .5 seconds of my best 200 Fly time but without hitting the wall until the last 50 instead of the first 50. I just keep telling myself "Keep it long, keep it legal and you will medal in this." So I did just that and placed 7th with a time of 3:45.47.

Today was relay day and I had fun, even with the grueling schedule I had. I anchored the womens 800 free relay which took 7th place and had a decent split. Next was the 100 Fly in the womens 400 medley relay were we came in 5th and had a great split on that one. Followed that up with the mixed 800 free relay which placed 4th. And finished with the mixed 400 free relay which placed 5th.

Not a bad haul for 3 days. Two days to go! Up next is the 50 Free and on the final day the 1500 Free. Lets see if I can get my sprint moving tomorrow. I have not trained alot of sprints this summer so we shall see what happens.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. 8/8 Swim and Golf

by , August 8th, 2009 at 08:50 PM (FREEDom)
    7 - 9am SCY
    Regular Masters workout. Just moved from 10am to 7am, but now for 2 hours. Got to wake up earlier, but get some more time in the pool now, and get it done earlier.
    Beth coached. Water was nice.

400 sw, 300 pull, 200 kick, 100 choice

6 x 125 on 1:50 pull. Did 1 - 4 w/ snorkel
    4 x 100 on 1:30 swim
    4 x 75 on 1:10 swim
    4 x 50 on :50 swim

12 x 25 on :30 fast. I did 2 x (2 fl, 2ba, 2fr)

4 x
    2 x 100 on 10 sec rest
    4 x 25 on 5 sec rest
    #1 IM
    #2 Back
    #3 ?? I did kick w/ fins
    #4 Free
    5 x 200 on 3:00 "fartlek" - was supposed to be 4 strokes fast, 4 easy. Did 8 fast/easy, which equates to about 1/2 lap fast, 1/2 easy. Still pretty exhausting.

4 x 50 on :45

200 easy warm down
    The entire workout out was 5800 yards as I recall. Might have forgot something. 2 hours, pretty decent yardage and work.

I took yesterday off from any training... was tired. But then I was even worse yesterday, just dragging around all day, visiting with my folks. I think I was up too late. I felt better today even after swimming 5800 yards, tired, but not draggging all day like yesterday.

Afternoon

Teed it up with my folks who are down visiting, 18 holes. Hot, but some breeze, so not too bad. Played OK on the front. Stunk on the back. Shot 82 from the back tees, with 5 3 putts... pretty bad. Oh well, when you don't play much, hard to get up too upset. Could have been better, but then I made a couple of shots where it could have been worse if I did not pull those off.
    Tags: golf
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. How to HTFU when you cramp up in a race

by , August 7th, 2009 at 09:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Don't panic. You can dolphin kick with cramps.

Remember the rest of them b@tches ain't better than you.

Do not think of excuses now. It's easier to brainstorm them with friends later. A roomful of hypochondriacs are marvellously inventive.

Remember that there are likely no scientifically valid studies that show that swimming with your ankles at a right angle is more likely to slow you down than swimming with no legs at all.

Go slow. What's the rush? It's long course meters.

No matter how slow you go, you'll still beat Geekity.

It's called backstroke, not back kick, right? So who cares if you can leg press three times more than Jim Thornton?

If necessary, call for the trainer to bring you a gin and tonic stat. It's got quinine, right?

Don't forget the lime because cramps and scurvy are an even worse combination.

Ignore texts from well meaning friends asking why you were out so slow.

-------------------------------------------

So I swam the 100 back today. Was kind of hoping to go 1:12 or so. I managed to put my Chris Stevenson induced start fears aside and take a body length lead at fifteen meters. Unfortunately, the double calf cramps at the start made the next 75 or so rather trying. I was told I was "galacially slow" and "ragged." I managed to get my act together at the 75 meter mark or so and pass 3 people. But, on the whole a disappointing swim; my slowest time in 3 years. My backstroke feels very odd so far this meet. I'm also not feeling so great in the morning.

Hope to have much fun on relay day tomorrow.

Had a fabulous dinner with forum friends.

Updated August 10th, 2009 at 12:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories