View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. 9000-yard weekend; tropical heat wave at the Y?

by , January 20th, 2013 at 11:59 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    It was like slipping into a warm bath... only I was hoping to get in a couple of high-yardage workouts, not play with rubber ducky! I've gotten spoiled apparently over the last couple of years here at the Kenosha Y where the lap pool normally has temps around 78 or 80 and the air temperature is a tad cooler. Today the temps had to be close to 90, yesterday at least 86-87. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm hoping they'll have this temperature thing taken care of soon, we have a high school team practicing in there 6 days a week, I can't imagine they're comfortable.

Yesterday I planned to do a repeat of the 7200-yard workout I did about a month ago: 5 sets of 12 x 100 fr on 1:45 with a warm-up 200 and and 200 back or breast between sets. Here's how far I got:

200 swim (fr, bk, br, fr by 50s)
    12 x 100 on 1:45 (1:34-1:35s)
    200 br on 4:00
    12 x 100 on 1:45 (1:34-1:35)
    150 bk/br on 4:00
    12 x 100 on 1:45 (mostly 1:36s)
    150 br on 5:00
    12 x 100 on 1:45 (1:37-1:38s)
    100 br on 3:00
    4 x 100 on 1:45 (1:36-1:40)

6000 SCY/1:40.00

Workout started off great, every rep was coming in under 1:35 or right at 1:35, somewhat of an improvement over the last time I did the workout, but things started to come apart after that second set; I had to drop 50 breast off of the recovery swim and take a minute breather before starting the next set... the 100s then started to slow no matter what I tried to focus on to pull the times back down. The 100 times were still well within the range of where they were last month, so I would have continued to slug it out, but I started cramping around yard 4000, and ran out of gatorade/water pretty quickly. 1/3 through my last set I called it quits, I felt pretty bad. The scale said I lost 3 pounds, all water weight I'm sure and I'm attributing it to the high pool temps. I usually don't have any trouble staying hydrated, if anything I have a tendency to over hydrate and end up taking a bathroom break in the middle of these long weekend workouts. I was pretty disappointed and it took me all afternoon to get re-hydrated and start to feel less "droopy." Next week I'm taking a couple of gallons of ice water with me if they don't correct the water temp.

Today, I ran a mile on the treadmill to warm up for a conditioning session (core work, injury prevention, foundational strength) then headed off to the pool feeling stiff and worn out. With the water temp even hotter today, I decided to swim nice and EZ, focus on slide and glide, lengthening the stroke, just taking it nice and easy for 2000 continuous free. Then I felt pretty loose and decided to work in a descending ladder of IMs for my final 1000; here's what I managed:

2000 EZ contniuous swim (36:00)
    1:00 rest

400 IM on 10:00 (7:50)
    300 IM on 7:00 (5:45)
    200 IM on 5:00 (3:50)
    100 IM (1:48)

3000 SCY/61 minutes

This was the first time I've done an entire 400 IM all at once, so my fly endurance and form is getting a little better; the back and free were just slow, the breast was extremely disappointing... I know it's supposed to be the slowest stroke, but, dang! I'd like to take at least one or two good cycles before it all falls apart! This workout really taxed my system, especially after doing the drylands conditioning beforehand.

One realization I had today, though, while swimming in our new tropical swim zone at the Y, is that one of the things that probably brought about my overtraining last summer in August was the fact that I was trying to maintain the same mileage and speed in the lake when the water temps were in the mid- to upper-80s that I had been swimming when the temps were in the low to mid-70s. Since the temperature change happened gradually over the course of a month or so it wasn't as noticeable... but I shouldn't have been shooting for "improvement" at that point (and then overdoing it to compensate for the fact that I wasn't seeing the improvement I thought I should be seeing). Running track in Texas in July and August as a kid, we always stopped trying to improve our times after June... there was no getting better with temps always in the 90s-100s; it was all about heat management and trying not to lose fitness. Our times were always slower in late July than they were in late May, but so were everybody else's. Guess it's the same in the water!

At least I wasn't as dehydrated today after the swim, just beat.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Meet, Sunday, Jan. 20

by , January 20th, 2013 at 09:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Friday:

Popped in for 1500 with lots of bursts. Had a major calf cramp, and had some earlier in the week. Been foam rolling and stretching.

Saturday:

1 hour of RC/scapular exercises and stretching

Sunday, MD Series Meet in Annapolis:

100 free, Abort

Had a major calf cramp on the start. Opted to do 10 SDKs as dolphin kicking is easier than flutter kicking for me with a cramp. I was out pretty fast, but the calf seized up on the second turn. My right leg was basically useless, so I stopped at about 65 yards. I was in lane 8, so didn't disrupt anyone else. I was a tiny bit disappointed because this was going to be my 100 free in yards for the year.

Glad I experimented with more SDks on the start as that may be faster for me. I was a good 1/3 body length ahead of a boy next to me who went 55. One of my HIT swimmers, Melinda, said I had a great start and was out in 26 high. Hmm ... that's pretty fast for me; I was thinking 27, but maybe the start helped.

I wasn't sure what to do after this episode ... Typically, when my calf cramps this bad, I have to call it a day. I rubbed, stretched and put the whirlpool jets on it. I decided not to swim the 100 fly as I was feeling somewhat head case-ish. :-) And I didn't want to be forced to abort another 100.

50 breast, 33.1

Decided to try this event to see how things went since I had spent an hour driving to the meet. I hopped into heat 1 where there was an empty lane for an unofficial swim. Had a little cramp on the start, but was able to swim through it. Good thing my left leg does most of the pushing. I had a major glide at the end; should have taken another stroke. But this is a very fast time for me untapered. Though I just told the timer to get me on his stopwatch, so it was manual timing.

50 free, 25.1

No cramp in this race, whew. I was quick off the blocks but shallower on the start than I wanted to be, so only took 7-8 SDKs. I had wanted to try 10. Had a sub-par turn (a bit too far from the bulkhead) and the legs felt sloggy. So I was exceedingly happy with the time, swum at 7:00 pm. It's a tad bit faster than I went last year with similar rest.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Overall, I'm glad I went to the meet despite early problems. It gave me a chance to work on some free SDK skills. The pool was decent. They didn't have pads in though, so I was glad I hadn't signed up for any backstroke events. And the blocks were teeny. I felt sorry for the taller people; even I felt slightly precarious on them.

I didn't feel super great in the water today. I think maybe I had to take too much time off from the eye infection and perhaps did too many bursts the few days before the meet. But who really knows. Back to the grindstone!

Updated January 20th, 2013 at 10:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  3. 01/20/12 - Saturday workout

by , January 20th, 2013 at 10:27 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Showed up Friday morning to a closed pool . We got some snow Thursday that ended up freezing in small patches of ice. That generally means everything shuts down around here. The Red Cross was open so I headed there a little early to donate platelets. Unfortunately, I can't swim after donating so I was out of luck for Friday. Swam Saturday at HSA w/ Dave, Dave, Dave, Bob, Hunter and a few others. Swam about 6K on no food, no water and a blood donation. Had forgotten I gave blood the previous day and the yardage had crept up on me. Everything was cramping... feet first, then calves, quads and eventually my hands. Added up the yardage and realized my mistake.

SCY

650 Warm up
    6 x 100 - 50 Kick/50 Drill
    2 Rounds of:
    * 3 x 50 - :55 Fly/Back/Br
    * 3 x 50 Free - :50

2 Rounds of:
    * 5 x 100 (Round 1 @ 1:25, Round 2 @ 1:30)
    * 400 IM (Round 1 - 5:38, Round 2 - 5:40)

2 Rounds of:
    * 4 x 200 Pull - 3:00 Descend (2:25, 2:20, 2:15, 2:10/2:25, 2:18, 2:15, 2:12)
    * 4 x 50 Fly - :55/1:00

400 Easy IM

(6050 Total)

Updated January 21st, 2013 at 05:24 PM by pmccoy

Categories
    Swim Workouts