View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. 1\6\13

Weights at club
    Warmed up 5 min on elip, stretched then the weights

Seated calf sled machine

• 3 x 8 x about 1/3, 1/2, and all of the weight (resp)

Lateral guided squat rack

• 4 x 8 x 95, 145, 195, 245 (resp)

Incline press machine (superset with lateral machine)

• 4 x 8 (10) x cant remember (light)

Shoulder press with 50 lb barbell and three stretch cords attached bound from floor

• about 3 x 8

24" vertical drop/bounce

• 3 x 10 x BW, 15lb each hand, and 20lb each hand (resp)

• Immediately jumped from a fully contracted landing

Leg curls

• 3 x 10

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

SCM at same club 1900
    Warmup

• 500 with snorkel

Drills, with and without snorkel

10 x 50 (25 free/25 fly) on no particular interval

• Dive from side, breakout quick and initial strokes fast, then coast to wall
    • Try to do fly fast

400 kick

• flutter kick fast off wall then do breast kick drills

Pool temp was back to normal - too warm. I noticed without the wetsuit my warmup times were slower and the number of strokes per 25 was almost 1 more. The suit does create more drag than skin, especially the faster stuff and fills up with water with fast pushoffs and turns. It is a 2 year old sleavless suit.

Mrs. __steve__ (my wife) started doing yoga last week. I think she really likes it.

Updated January 8th, 2013 at 08:30 AM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Workout 01/06/13:

by , January 6th, 2013 at 07:09 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Got in for a swim after church this morning:

200 FR/200 Bk warmup

Go three times through:
    - 100 kick, 100 w/ agility paddles, 100 w/ paddles and buoy, 100 hard
    - All on :10 seconds rest, with a Masters Minute between rounds
    - Did FR/FR/Bk by round (used snorkel on the FR, went 1:07 on the BK)

200 stroke loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1800 yds/30 min)
    --------------------------------
    Had a full day and not a lot of time to swim, so this is what I did. Can't let the Flog get to far away this early on!

After the swim I went to one of the nursing homes in town and led the Sunday service, which I am blessed to do the first Sunday of every month. Good turn out, despite some flu-ish bugs floating through the nursing home.

When I got home, I packed my son up in the car and went to basketball with the guys. We played 4x4, three teams, over two hours. Our team lost all of the games, but I scored a few buckets and sweated up a storm. Next up, I need to buy some basketball shoes ...

Updated January 6th, 2013 at 07:38 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  3. Sunday, Jan. 6

by , January 6th, 2013 at 06:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises, 15 min
    extreme angle iso squat, 3:00
    explosive leg press, 190 x 3 x 15
    wrist curls, 50 x 2 x 12, 55 x 2 x 12
    rear felt fly, 70 x 3 x 12
    cable twist w/yoga ball, 60 x 2 x 8 each side
    jumps w/25 lb plate overhead, 10
    resisted track start jumps, 55 x 1 x 10
    twisting med ball slams, 2 x 10
    back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 10
    altitude drops, 3 x 5

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters/fins @ :40
    50 EZ
    6 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    75 EZ

w/bungee cords:
    4 x 40 @ 1:45 swim w/small paddles until taut + 15-25 strokes, zip back
    4 x 40 @ 1:45 from a backstroke start, kick until taut + 10 kicks
    4 x 40 @ 1:45
    -- 2 swim, 2 kick until taut + hold for :30
    125 EZ

Total: 1680

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wasn't feeling all that rested after Friday's recovery workout and a day off. This usually means I'm due for a recovery week, but I really want to hold off until next week.

I finally got my Swimmer magazine. I loved the reference to my training as BFS -- Beyond Four Strokes. That would be a good blog title. And it was certainly what I did today in the pool.

Sadly, Fort Son left today to return to college. Dartmouth changed its calendar and he had an extremely long break. I got used to having him home. Oh well, fewer demands for food. Lil Fort went on an 11 mile trail run today with Mr. Fort. Like him, she seems to have iron ankles. Fort Son and I decidedly don't (hence our ankle sprain histories).

So glad Downton Abbey is back tonight!
  4. 20 x 200 free

by , January 6th, 2013 at 01:22 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Yesterday I didn't have much time and I wanted to get a little extra sleep, so I had to do an abbreviated version of my workout. Remembering that this is a step-back week for distance, I was not too concerned about having to cut it short. Last week I did a total of 60 x 100 on 1:45 over the course of a 7200-yard workout, maintaining my threshold pace the whole time. This week I decided to do 200s on 3:30, seeing if I could keep the pace I had on my 100s.

The workout was 20 x 200 on 3:30; 4000 SCY in 70 minutes. Pretty straightforward. I actually managed to negative split a lot of the 200s in the mid to latter half of the workout... I was coming in mostly in 3:14-3:17. My last 200 was in 3:21, so I thought it was a perfect time to stop. I didn't want any of my reps coming in over a 1:40/100 pace (my BASE). The only thing I regret is not having time for a cool-down (or a warm-up for that matter... unless you count my first 4-5 reps, which were in my threshold, but felt tight).

Today will be an easy day. Maybe just 1000 warm-up, practice starts, and 600 cool-down.
    Categories
    Uncategorized