View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:15-3:00pm

by , January 5th, 2014 at 11:01 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    We finished up for the day, and got a majority of the debris cleaned up and the house put "back into place", so I was able to break away and relax in the pool for a bit. It wasn't exactly a relaxing swim, as I was fighting the public swimmers open swim across the laneline from me. Twice getting large balls landing in front of me, or near me. I had to toss those aside...AWAY from the perpetrators. The guards are always yelling at them to keep the balls out of the lap lanes.

I rushed this in in 45 minutes, trying to go for yardage and intensity at the same time.

Warmup:

200 Free
    (200/200)

6 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:20 (1:06/1:06/1:05/1:05/1:03/1:03)
    (600/800)

6 x 100 SDK w/ short fins on back @ 1:25
    These actually got a bit tough on the last couple...legs were dying
    (600/1400)

100 Free EZ
    (100/1500)

4 x 50 Fly Fast @ :50
    went :30, :30, :31, :32 <--hurt a bit on the 4th one
    100 Back EZ
    (300/1800)

1 x 75 Free Pull @ 1:00
    1 x 75 Free Pull @ :55
    2 x 75 Free Pull @ :55
    3 x 75 Free Pull @ :55
    2 x 75 Free Pull @ :55
    1 x 75 Free Pull @ :55
    (1050/2850)

50 EZ and the guard kicked me out since it was time to close down.
    ---------------------------------
    2900 Yards
  2. 100s meet

by , January 5th, 2014 at 09:29 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    So... my all 100s meet was this morning... and the results are in. I'm way out of shape. And I don't like sprints. But at least I didn't have to do any 200s or long distance; a good thing, because I really am not in the kind of condition I was in at the end of the summer. The low volume workouts have taken their toll. I didn't taper at all for this meet (why taper when I'm still trying to up the daily yardage), so I shouldn't have expected too much, but I'm still a little disappointed that my fly and back times weren't faster.

Here's how it went down:

100 free = 1:11.5 (0:03.5 faster than my seed of 1:15)
    100 fly = 1:32 (also my seed time)
    100 IM = 1:28 (seed time was 1:29)
    100 back = 1:31 (seed time was 1:25... :06 off!)
    100 breast = 1:48 (seed time 1:50)

So now I know where I am and where I need to go. The practice yardage has to go up so I can perform well on more than a couple of events per meet. And I'm going to do a lot of that yardage at aerobic pace working on technique to keep building the base, but I also see a lot of interval 200s, 100s and 50s in my near future. Backstroke and fly yardage have to go up if I'm going to bring my 200 times down.

I think I was in my best shape a few months back when I was doing long sets of 50s at 200 pace. And 100s-200s at an aerobic pace with short intervals. Will have to go back to that.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Grandma Got Run Over By A Swim Team (01/04/14)

by , January 5th, 2014 at 11:50 AM (Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder)
    So I think that's gonna be the new name of my blog, cuz that's about how I feel most of the time!! It has been busy busy busy around our house - had loads of company for the holidays, and then daughter #2, had her #2 on NY Eve - bringing my total of grandkids up to 7 now. She had a scheduled c-section & wee've been babysitting big sister & running back & forth to the hospital, etc. Went back to work on Monday, after two weeks off, and I feel like I'm being punished for taking a vacation - so much paperwork to catch up on!!

So it's been very weird, weather wise around here - some days as hot as 75, some days as cold as 27 - scheduled to get down to 15 Tuesday morning, and workouts are held outside, unless it is below 30, and then they are canceled - unless it's a Saturday, in which case we have an alternate venue. Didn't know that until today's swim, but that's all right. Swam at 3pm SCY, and I don't think I've ever done a 5000 y workout in as short a time. Here's what we did:

600 back/free
    500 pull, speed-play by 50's
    500 drill/swim by 50's
    300 fly/free by 50's (I did breast, as my shoulder doesn't appreciate fly right now)
    200 kick
    100 choice
    THEN:
    30 x 100 @ 1:20. Ridiculous. I did 10, rested one, then 9, changed lanes, did 8
    Was coming in around the :17 at the end there. Geez..
    200 easy. Two lanes over, there were two very young men coming in at the :00 and :01 on the last 10 of these. MOST impressive. They aren't even considered the Big Dogs around here. Times have changed.

On the bright side - I DID do 27 of them, which I think, is pretty good. More than necessary, but Winter Madness (that's what I call it anyway) ends on Monday.Yea.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Jan. 3-4

by , January 5th, 2014 at 11:02 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I was sick with the malaise that seems to be going round and missed a couple days of training. I was able to paddle around a bit on Friday:

Friday: Swim/SCY/Solo @ Sewickley

600 various
    100 scull
    7 x 100 w/fins @ 1:45
    odds = DPS free w/paddles
    evens = kick w/board
    50 EZ
    6 x 25 burst SDK+ cruise
    50 EZ
    9 x 50 @ 1:00
    --3 x back, breast, back breast + 50 EZ
    5 x 25 shooter + 25 EZ w/fins @ 1:00
    40 EZ
    20 x 25 kick w/board, half AFAP @ :30
    100 EZ

Total: 3050

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday: Drylands

I used a free guest pass to try out LA Fitness, which is only 10 minutes from my house. My other options for weight training are far away (Sewcklely) or semi far (Rivers Club) and with the latter I get killed on parking fees. LA Fitness is only $29.99 per month, so I may join for convenience sake. The facilities are better as well.

RC/Scap ex
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    captains chair leg raises, 15
    russian twist on incline bench w/plate, 2 x 25
    row, 80 x 1 x 8, 90 x 2 x 8
    good mornings, warm ups, 65 x 3 x 8
    rear delt fly, 560 x 3 x 8
    explosive leg press, 155 x 1 x 5, 175 x 2 x 15
    supine bench press w/DBs, 40 x 3 x 8
    squat jumps w/bar, 45 x 2 x 8
    DB pull in plank position, 40 x 1 x 15
    fast push press on double cable machine, 35 x 2 x 30 (I ripped this off from a USC sprint training vid)

Bikram Yoga, 90 min

I didn't feel like making the long trek out to Sewickley -- where I would have been lucky to find 3 lap lanes and half the pool filled with screaming kids. So I decided to go to yoga 5 minutes from my house. The first half of the class felt pretty easy, the last half was hard to get through. The heat is such a barrier. I don't think I've gone to bikram for maybe 2 years. My balance was pretty awful. And I've definitely lost some flexibility with my lack of stretching this year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2013 year in Review/Looking ahead:

1. I ended up with 371 miles, which surprisingly was more than 2012 (348) and 2011 (331). I attribute this to swimming more since I haven't been doing drylands.

2. Great first 6 months: I was really pleased with my swims at Zones & Nationals this year. I think it was the best 1-2 punch I've ever had. Everything just clicked. I broke NRs in the 50 fly (SCY and LCM), 50 back (SCY and LCM), 50 free and barely missed them in the 100 back and 100 IM. And I swam all 9 sprint events in SCY for the first time ever.

3. Sub-par last 6 months: Since June, I feel like I've only had two decent months of training -- Oct and Nov. December has been a complete bust with tapering, the holidays and the malaise. 2014 will be a rebuilding year. I've been pretty laser focused for most of my masters career. This summer and fall I lost focus for an extended period, and it took a toll. Not a big deal, but a lesson in what I need to do to be at or near the top of my game.

4. I think my best swim was my 50 fly at Nationals -- 25.70. Ironically, my worst swim at a focus meet was the 50 SCM fly at NE Champs - 29.9.

5. I really enjoyed having my daughter join masters and competing with her. We swam a bunch of relays together and grabbed some AA times. I was hoping we could swim some relays together at Zones this year, but she is out of the pool for awhile with a pinched nerve.

6. Right now, I guess my focus meet for SCY is Zones, though the order of events is terrible for me. I'm not going to Nationals ins Santa Clara -- too far, pool too crappy. LCM will be a bust for me, as it often is. I'm going to Europe for two weeks in late June-July and will be out of the pool. I haven't had good success at Nationals trying to come back after similar vacations. However, I may go to LCM Nationals at U of Md just to see friends and swim a few 50s for fun. In the short term, I have the Albatross meet in mid March.

7. Back to drylands -- I feel weak as a kitten and need to work on that! I plan to start seeing Ron D'Angelo, a trainer here, once a week to help get me on track and give me some new ideas.

8. I am still not adjusted to Pittsburgh. I constantly feel frustrated with the lack of facilities and the amount of driving I have to do to get there. It's been a month of swimming in a sh*tty pool with Pitt closed and it's starting to get very depressing. The brand new beautiful high school just opened up. 5 minutes from my house and only open to the public for adult lap swim M-Th from 9-10 pm. Not helpful ...

Belated Happy New Year everyone!!!

Updated January 5th, 2014 at 08:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts