View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Sunday, Meet Results from Spokane, WA

by , October 14th, 2012 at 10:14 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I headed over to Spokane as a passenger today in a carpool with other teammates. Very nice relief, because I was exhausted. We left town @ 5:00am. I went to sleep at a good time for the early wakeup, but around 11:00pm last night the phone rang and I ended up talking with my old college friend about his son's seizure situation that is just now getting started. He was looking for any help/advice that I could give from my experiences. Well, that call was over an hour, and by the time I got back to sleep it was around 12:30am or so.

I felt pretty good with my warmup prior to the meet, getting ready for my IM heavy day today. It felt to be a good day coming, but I've also been dealing with a headcold all week, and still have pressure in my head that kills me underwater, or when my head goes upside down (like in flipturns, or the starting position on the blocks). Still...when it's time to race, you do what you can!

400 IM - 4:40.10
    27.77/32.32 (1:00.09)
    37.91/37.43 (1:15.3)
    41.13/41.37 (1:22.4)
    31.93/30.24 (1:02.1)
    This was a decent race. It was about the same time as I did in a USAS meet at the same period last year. I know I took my fly out very relaxed today, and that my backstroke could use a little more work. Breaststroke felt really short and my pullouts were shallow. Free coming home was decent, but I was just tired overall.

100 IM - 1:01.17
    28.39/32.78
    My fly felt pathetic here, but my backstroke I took about 12 SDKs and was told I popped up just short of the 15 meter mark. I guess the kicking at practice is helping.
    Breaststroke was blah...freestyle coming home = strong!

100 Free leadoff of 400 Free Relay - 54.60 (26.21/28.39)
    Decent speed, at least better than my effort last weekend at BAMFest: 55.23
    My team enjoyed being out to a lead on the relay, but it didn't last long. At least we now compete in the 35+ category, so the don't about it so much anymore.

200 IM - 2:30.75 (100% active cooldown - still was a clear leader in the event)
    30.18/39.56/44.19/36.82
    I wasn't feeling great to be able to give 100% effort in ALL my races today, but I still got up and swam them for my team's points that go toward the season points total.

50 Fly in the 200 Medley Relay - 25.5ish???
    Originally I had no intention of racing fast in this one, but...
    Our team was on the verge of getting lapped by the neighboring lane. Our breaststroker was finishing at virtually the same time as their flyer.
    So it was ME (fly), vs. HIM (free) in an impromptu race for glory. I knew he was a decently fast guy in freestyle, and we were already starting the verbal jabs at each other on the blocks about making this a race. My swimmer ended up touching a 1/2 second or less ahead of them, so I had a slight takeoff lead. On the turn he ended up pulling even with me, and we raced home. I ended up outtouching him by 0.04 seconds, so we weren't officially lapped in the race. It was pure fun, and my teammates said there was a lot of screaming from the crowd during this 'race'.

***200 Fly - 2:10.31
    28.35/32.94 (1:01.29)
    34.59/34.43 (1:09.02)
    This was a decent effort. Originally I wanted to go faster, but it wasn't happening today. I missed the LMSC record by 1.5 seconds, which will be a cakewalk the next time I race it.

***Prior to the heat of the 200 Fly event, our coach (at the meet director's request) made a small announcement about Peony Munger's history with the event, and her over 1000 1650 of fly that she'd done in practices over the past years. She ended up swimming up until about 3 weeks prior to her passing, doing at least 200 yards of fly in the past 3 months every day. Her body was succombing to "cold" in the water more than anything, but she was determined to fight on to the very end. She will be well remembered in our area, and we (as an LMSC) now have plans to OVERLOAD the 200 SCM Fly (as many as capable of completing the race, or attempt to) at the upcoming SCM meet in Sandpoint, ID in her honor. The meet happens to be on the day before her birthday, a day in which we traditionally all swam at least a continuous 400 Fly in her honor. I now have to get my entries changed since I already entered the meet with other events.

200 Free - 2:03.36
    30.16/32.13 (1:02.29)
    31.97/29.10 (1:01.07)
    This wasn't a "loafing swim", but it wasn't a 100% effort either. I knew I was toast at this point of the meet, but I didn't want to look like a wimp for cooling down 2 events in the meet, so I decided to go for a strong negative split race.
    I took it out easy, began accelerating going into the 100 turn a little. Hit the 150 turn and came off with 6 dolphin kicks out the mid-pool, then the 175 turn with 5 dolphin kicks off the wall with a spring to the finish.
    Oh yeah, I don't do those "wimpy SDKs" either. Mine are full blast kicks from the core rather than "toe/ankle flicks" SDKs that I've seen done before. I honestly wasn't even tired doing this type of swim. Had I gone out hard at the beginning it would've been a lot more painful.

Overall, a decent meet. I'm still going to have to rest hardcore this coming week for the NW Zone meet though. I'm tired, I'm sick, I need rest (and clear fluids). I'm also probably only going to be swimming Day 1 of the NW Zone meet as well, and throwing Day 2 under the bus.
  2. Sunday, Oct. 14

by , October 14th, 2012 at 09:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

rehab ex, 15 min
    total ab machine, 120 x 3 x 15
    pec flys, 55 x 3 x 25
    wrist curls on cable machine, 30 x 3 x 25
    reverse wrist curls, 20 x 2 x 15
    explosive leg press, 190 x 3 x 15
    glute isolator, 50 x 3 x 8, each leg
    good mornings, warm ups, 75 x 1 x 8, 80 x 3 x 8
    cable ball twist, 45 x 2 x 15 each side
    standing power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15
    captains chair leg raises, 2 x 25

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Light weekend, didn't make it to the Mason practice. Started coming down with a cold on Friday night and have been trying to fend it off all weekend.

Lots of fast swimming at Pac Masters Champs and Rowdy Gaines Classic this weekend. Going to check more results!
  3. Great Meet..Lots of Fun and overall good times

by , October 14th, 2012 at 08:19 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    Had a great time this weekend with my swim friends, teammates and son.

Friday was the 1500 free which was my main focus for this meet. Went 22:27.84 which was over 20 seconds faster than last year. My 25 fly was not as good. The swim was good but the start with the fin in back was causing me to go to deep on the start. Had the say issue with the 50 free on sunday but by the 50 fly I just moved the fin all the way back and did my normal track start and lowe and behold I finally got a great start.

The 800 today was 7 seconds slower than my split from the 1500. But both times were enought to break the Georgia state record.

For an event I don't even train right now my 100 and 200 backstrokes were good.

One more meet next weekend.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Meet Results

by , October 14th, 2012 at 06:23 PM (Grandma Got Run Over By A Swim Team)
    Rowdy Gaines Classic - my first SCM meet -- perhaps ever. We swam in the diving well, which was the perfect temperature. Unfortunately, the "warm up" pool was like 75 degrees & I avoided it. That cost me dearly, I'm afraid. Tried to "warm up" in the shower before the 200 after my disastrous 400, and it did help, marginally. Not sure I enjoyed this venue so much.

100 IM 1:25 (3 sec faster than I guessed)
    100 Breast 1:40? what happened?
    400 Free 5:18 (12 sec faster than I guessed)
    200 Free 2:27 (8 sec faster than I guessed)

Most of those "guessed times" were sort of conversion times that I rounded up from last year, so technically I guess that means I've improved? Felt horrible in the water. Went to Universal Studios Saturday afternoon until about 8pm (6 hours) & was so bushed didn't even bother to swim on Sunday. Ah well. Next time.
    Categories
    Uncategorized