View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Swimming it off...

by , November 25th, 2012 at 07:18 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    After the nearly week-long food binge I stepped on the scale at the Kenosha Y this afternoon (we flew into O'Hare this morning and pulled into town just after noon)... And I somehow lost two pounds this week!

I did one last swim, 3K continuous, at Deep Eddy yesterday morning. Air temps in the 50s, water 70, sunny and bright... felt wonderful. The last outdoor swim for a while for me. I decided to go to the Y this afternoon (after the Bears game) to decompress. The long flight left me feeling tight; I thought about skipping today, but thought better of it. By the time I got in the water I had exactly 44 minutes before they closed the pool. So I just did a lot of drill work: 2400 yards total.

Warm-up:
    100 free
    100 breast
    100 back
    100 free w/ fins
    100 kick w/ fins/board

Drills (w/ fins):
    100 spear
    100 shark tail
    100 sail
    100 corkscrew
    100 back kick
    200 side kick series
    100 kick w/ board

5 x through:
    100 pull
    100 free (hard)

Cool-down:
    100 br

The scale, post-swim, was very generous to me. I think I did a lot more walking in Austin on top of my swimming regimen... maybe that helped reduce the "bottom" line. But I'm encouraged.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Nov 25 2012

w/u
    100 k

main set

4 x 150
    4 x 50 k
    4 x 100
    4 x 75 k
    4 x 200

200 c/d

Did 3K during lunch. The pool was not packed so swimming wasn't too bad. this is my third straight day of swimming.

I did an experiment with the 100's the first 100 i did just under 1:00. did the second two sets as active recovery. did the last one all out and got :57. I almost bounced off the wall as I tend to slow down as i approach the wall. This is a PR for me in my 30's.

Just 8 more miles until i reach 100 for this year. Next year i am shooting for 150.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Of Dots, Gluttony, and Muskrats

by , November 25th, 2012 at 01:42 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    First of all, a very belated Happy Thanksgiving 2012 for all my viewers:

I ate, of course, the Traditional American Thanksgiving Feed on Thursday, followed by the Traditional American Thanksgiving Leftover Feed the moment I woke up for breakfast on Black Friday.

And the gluttony has not taken more than a few moments rest ever since.

I am becoming a bloated monstrosity.

Last night, for example, I went to the local Bottom Dollar store and found a good price on center cut pork chops. The smallest package I could find, unfortunately, contained four of these beauties. I do not like leftovers when it comes to the other white meat, so I grilled and ate four of these:

and washed them down with some fizzy water and a whole avacado. Then I went to see Skyfall with my teammate Ben Mayhew and Liam White, son of our other teammate, Bill White. Liam is a boy genius and computer wizard about whom I will soon be writing more TERRIBLY EXCITING SWIMMING TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENTS LIKELY TO REVOLUTIONIZE THE WAY YOU WASTE TIME ON YOUR SMART PHONE!!!

Anyhow, at the movie theater, I purchased a box of Dots:

in the only size available. I gave Liam most, though I concede, not all of the green ones, and ate the rest of the Dots myself.

Thanks to the way they calculate grams of sugar on the size of the box, it seemed at first that perhaps I had not done myself too much diabetes-inducing damage. But then I realized that they were talking about grams of sugar per serving, of which there were actually five servings in the box.

Bottom line: as a chaser to my four grilled porkers and avocado, and as a prelude to my later beers and Klondike bar, I had inadvertently consumed 105 grams of sugar, somewhat more than the 25 grams per day recommended for men.

I will leave unspecified my breakfast and lunch preceding the Pork-Avacado-Dots main meal of the day, but suffice it to say, I didn't starve myself.

All of which circles me back to why this has relevance to my swimming and, for that matter, the Archimedes Principle.

To wit, I am becoming so bloated with fat and plumptitude that I greatly fear my recent swimming accomplishment (i.e., that first ever individual All American rating: still not absolutely guaranteed, but looking ever more cautiously optimistic as Dec. 1 hustles towards us!) might be my last one.

Partly because I must move so much additional fat-weight through the water.

And partly because the sheer bulk of me is displacing so much water from the pool itself that there might not be enough left to actually swim in.

All of which further circles me back to my Happy Thanksgiving card, photoshopped by my friend, Bill Robertson, who years and years ago similarly photoshopped a picture of me grilling a monkey in the jungle for use as my annual Christmas card. (Do not worry! I shall post this when the time is right!)

Anyhow, the creature I appear to be eating in my Happy Thanksgiving card is a muskrat, trapped and skinned by Dan E., a carpenter who does a lot of work for my wife and me at out Bed & Breakfast in Western, PA:

It occurred to me that maybe I could shed a few pounds if I went on the Modern Paleo Pittburger Diet™, eating only things like muskrats and pine cones that I can harvest on my own from the Western PA hinterlands.

Muskrat in water

Muskrat in truck

Muskrat in me belly
    So far, unfortunately, I haven't managed to make the switch.

But looking at these last two pictures on a regular basis has helped put me at least slightly off my Traditional American Feed Diet.

And I hope, perchance, they will do the same for you!

If you get a chance, please check out my new actual blog, where I am hoping to slowly archive many of my published magazine stories over the years. There are already a couple entries up that have swimming articles available for free .pdf downloads:

I would be thrilled if any of you out there would consider "subscribing" via RSS to my new blog, known simply as ByJimThornton:

I'm hoping it might one day prove to be a poor man's pitiable pension plan, cranking out revenue via page view advertising in the neighborhood of $3.25 per month.

I am definitely going to need the money when the Modern Paleo Pittburger Diet™ inevitably fails and I end up--as we all know I shall--in The Nursing Home For Dot Addicted Fatties™.
    Categories
    Uncategorized