View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. 4500 yards

by , November 17th, 2013 at 08:51 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Scotty and I did the 80 x 25 on :45 workout again... I wasn't swimming as fast today because of yesterday's 4000, so was just happy to get through it and have a good bit of up-tempo swimming. We modified it going in, swimming a 200 recovery between strokes and then dropping the interval to :30 for the freestyle 25s, to get it done with.

WU (1100):
    200 fr/pull
    200 bk/pull
    200 br
    100 fr
    100 bk
    4 x 50 bk/fr drill
    100 IM (1:37)

MS (2700)
    20 x 25 fly on :45
    200 recovery
    20 x 25 bk on :45
    100 recovery (bathroom break)
    20 x 25 br on :45
    200 recovery
    20 x 25 fr on :30
    200 recovery

400 IM off the blocks (6:38-:39)

CD: 300 EZ swimming

4500 SCY total.

The 400 IM off the blocks was not as good as the one I did a couple of weeks ago, but I was pretty beat from going 4000+ two days in a row.

Going to sign up for the meet sometime this week... need to do conversions form SCY to figure out what my SCM seed times should be.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Inaugural Mudhole Y Meet, Nov. 17

by , November 17th, 2013 at 05:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I ventured out to the Greensburg Y in Greensburg PA for my first ever Y league meet. Four of my Sewickley teammates were there (see below) and I met lots of other Y meet swimmers. Great fun had by all. And what a food and drink spread! Here's how it went:

25 back, 12.38

I was lucky I got to swim this event. My entry went missing. I was scheduled to swim in heat 7 (the slowest heat) with a NT. But I was in heat 1 of the very next event. My teammate Ben Mayhew graciously switched spots with me so that I could swim in heat 1 (they swim fastest to slowest here), which is where I had seeded myself anyway. I had a little gridge going with Coach Bill. (Jim video'd) But I handily beat all the boys in this race! I went a 13.0 in the Sprint Classic, so this time was really flying. I had to triple check to make sure it was correct. Perfect breakout and perfect finish (see photo below). I thought I might be past the 15, but I took the same number of strokes as usual. 5+ minutes rest until ...

100 breast #1, slip & fall; 100 breast #2, 1:15.2

I knew the plastic blocks were slippery from warm up, but I took a really ignoble spill here. I pushed off, slipped and landed sideways curled up in the water. That has never happened to me before! So I will now be forever wary of plastic blocks. I decided to put my shammy towel on the blocks for the rest of my races. I had been in heat 1, but they slipped me into heat 4 -- a benefit of Y meets that probably wouldn't happen at a USMS meet. Had to swim by myself though. I was still discombobulated from the spill (hip hurt) and can't say I gave it 100%. But given that I did not rest at all for this meet, this is a very solid time for me. I went a 1:15.0 on a few days rest last year. Even though I wasn't really pushing it, my legs were hurting the last length. Pic below shows my head needs to be further down. I wish this time counted for USMS, but c'est la vie.

50 breast, 34.0

Didn't have much rest after the 100 breast, but gave it a go. I was doing fine, but then really tightened up the last 10 yards and had a major glide into the finish. As a non-breaststroker, I never really know when to glide vs. short stroke. This is much slower than I went at the Sprint Classic (33.1) , but that's how it goes. Technical errors and the pool was obviously much worse too. Few heats of rest and then ...

25 fly, 12.3

This was decent, though .3 slower than the Sprint Classic (where I had a perfect race). Had a bad breakout again -- too deep and it was slow. Wish I could fix this. Finished second. But prevailed in my gridge race against my other teammate John (who is really a 200 flyer).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All in all a fun experience and what sprinter couldn't help but be psyched by the 25s! I wish there had been a place to warm down; hit the showers instead. I did set 4 Y records. I may swim in the Y meet at the Sewickley Y on Dec. 1. Tuckered out now! I need to conjure up some ideas for the HIT forum.

Updated November 17th, 2013 at 06:10 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1471769_763685306982117_1920878894_n.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	8107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1426278_763686096982038_2079636132_n.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	8108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1234943_763683163648998_2124709079_n.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	8106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1466253_763684620315519_272369562_n.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	8109  
  3. 11|17|13 SCM

by , November 17th, 2013 at 03:55 PM (Blog)
    2 x 50 easy sprint tapered to easy swim

16 x 15M on 1:00 - 5:00 DFS free with 3-4 sprint strokes
    just 7 - 9 second high voltage efforts

3 x 50 on 2:00 WFP
    25 + turn hypoxic, breathe 4, 3 and 2 respectively back

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Saturday, November 16, 2013 Trifecta Meet Results

by , November 17th, 2013 at 01:36 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I knew this was going to be a rough and tiring meet for me for many reasons. I had worked the previous 23 days in a row, with about 1/4 of those days being 12 hour days as well. Friday prior to the meet was one of those 12s, but luckily it started early and was done at 11:00pm.
    Got to bed maybe around 1:00am, and the alarm clock at 7:00am was wayyyyy too early for me. Got the kids rounded up, made some PB&Js, somehow was able to get my wife to come along too, and got rolling down the road for the 3 1/2 hour trip to Moscow, ID. We saw our first snow of the year, right around Pullman and Moscow where the elevation is 2500+
    2nd hard part of the day was my event schedule, which is nothing new, but in combo with my work, and "lack of training", I knew it would be tough. Yeah, I swim 5 or so times a week, but the minimal yardage and stuff I knew wasn't enough to be able to power through all the events like what is ideal. I had my game plan set though, and was focused mostly on the 200 Fly, and to have fun with the other ones.

I was in the 3rd heat of the 1650 (3 heats is rare!!), with one of them being 40 minutes, and the other one about 30 minutes. I didn't bother warming up in the general warmup prior to the race. I got in about 100 yards in the warmdown area, which was a nice 86+ degrees...more of a hot tub. Mainly to get my suit tied tight, and give my shoulders a little rotation before the race actually started. The racing pool was a great 79/80 degrees though.

I don't have actual splits yet, hopefully they'll arrive on email soon so I can begin processing the results. The meet ran from 1:00-who knows what time. I left at 6:30pm, and they still had 100 Breast, 200 Back, 50 Free, and 500 Frees to go (at least another 50-60 minutes). They had lots of breaks, and other issues that seemed to drag on. Plus we have quite a few senior swimmers (81, 85, 91, 92) that take longer than me to finish their races, so the timeline was a bit stretched out. Even with me leaving out of town by 7:00, I didn't get home till 10:30pm, which I was wide awake for giving my normal working hours at my job.

1650 Free - 18:56.xx
    My idea on this was to start out really easy and treat the event like a warmup. For the first 300 or so I did this, and there was a "new to our area" masters swimmer right next to me, a guy in his early 40s. He was hugged right up to the laneline, drafting me hard, so I wanted to see if he was ready to go. On the 4th 100 I accelerated a bit and he tried to stick with me, doing ok. On the 5th 100, I came off the wall with a couple dolphins and kicked in the afterburners getting myself up to "race pace". Not exactly my Indy Nationals race pace, but my pace for today...enough that I knew I could handle. I was able to maintain pretty well, though I know I felt a little lull in the swim around 1100-1200 or so. I checked the clock a few times though the swim, and knew I was going to be pretty close to the 19:00 mark based on my quick math in my head, so I picked it up in the last 300 to be sure I'd be under. Good thing, because it was closer than I thought. This was a really good swim...only 1 minute, 10 seconds slower than my swim at Indy last spring.
    My splits from looking at the clock were roughly 5:35/5:40 at the 500, and 11:20/11:25 at the 1000. There was a small running clock on the opposite wall of the large timeclock that matches the time, so it was nice to see after I came off the turns.

50 Free leadoff in the 200 Free Relay - 24.56
    This happened right after a 10 minute warmup break, which doing anything that close to a 1650 is just tough. I led off next to the team from Central Washington University...got beat of course (24.0) because any kid fresh out of high school can still do a 50. Central Washington lost their college swim team a while ago, and they started a masters club a few years back to use as a team. It's nice to see year to year what kind of new talent they bring to the races.

400 IM - 5:08.73 (entirely cooldown pace)
    This literally was right after the relay, and I was in no mood to try to go fast. I got through the fly easily, probably 1:03ish, and then shut it down from there, cruising the next 300. Felt much better afterward. Had I tried to race this, I would've died a horrible death somewhere in the middle.

100 Fly - 58.32
    Of all my races, this was going to be my real challenge with others. I was seeded 2nd to an 18 year old college kid (57.1 to 58.0 entry times). We started off fine, somehow I jammed my middle finger on the 25 turn, it still hurts today, and also the arch of my left foot cramped as I pushed off the 25 turn. I just tried to power on, and the cramp sort of went away. I was gaining on the boy (or thought I was) on the 3rd length, but couldn't pull it out on the final length. I don't like to get beat, but this one I couldn't help too much.
    Video

200 Fly - 2:11.16
    splits from timing it off the video were 28.0, 1:01.1 (33.1), 1:36.0 (34.9), 2:11.1 (35.1)
    I really wanted to have a good showing in this one. Training well or not, tired or not, I was going to give it all I had on this race. I guess I'll be a 200 Flyer this year. It's easier to train for than the 1650 or 400 IM...and is easier mentally than the 200 Free. I'm a little weird, huh?
    Video

50 Back on 200 Medley Relay leadoff: 30.9
    I just worked the SDKs off the walls and stretched out the swim. I had the 50 Fly coming up right afterward...and like any sprinter, I didn't want to wear myself out.
    It was nice having 3 other guys from my workout group there so we could do a couple relays. in the video is myself, Kurt (60), then Jack (81), and Rick (60). Many of you ask why I did back instead of fly? Jack wanted to do the fly rather than the back. His choice...not mine. Respect your elders.
    Video

50 Fly - 26.25
    This was just all out speed. SDKed about halfway down the pool, 1 breath. Had a bit of a glide in finding the wall at the turn, but came off quick with good underwaters kicks. 2 breaths back and hit the finish strong. Fastest I've been in a while, and the first 50 I've done outside of Wenatchee in a while. I like to get my money's worth on away trips for meets.
    Video

Well, these events concluded the "Combo Trifecta" - combo of the Brute Squad Tri, and the Butterfly Tri. They gave out award to those who completed the 3 distances of any stroke, or the brute squad, or the combo that about 8-10 people did.